PDA

View Full Version : DVD2OneX is finally here!

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Apr 22, 2003, 04:54 PM
For all of you who have wanted to make DVD back ups of your movies but didn't want to waste two discs to make it.....

http://dvd2one.com/news.php

It can put just the movie on one disc!

the future
Apr 22, 2003, 05:28 PM
We should mention that DVD2one is by far the most popular DVD backup app in the Windows world because
- the process is very easy
- it takes only 20-30 minutes
- the resulting quality is surprisingly good, at least on a par with reencoders that typically take at least 6 hours
- you can keep only the audio tracks and subtitles you need and have the others stripped out
- there are 'movie only' and 'full disc' modes to choose from.

In other words, it's quite good...

While we're at it, if you want to backup your DVDs in original quality on 2 DVD-Rs, you can use a (relatively) new app called Disco+. The process takes about 90 minutes and keeps all audio tracks and subtitles. You can find it at http://homepage.mac.com/kaicherry/index2.html

dethl
Apr 22, 2003, 07:35 PM
I jumped the gun when reading this....the description had me confused a bit...but after looking more into it, I see what it is, a really great looking program.

I am sorry for anyone I have offended due to the rashness of my actions.

arn
Apr 22, 2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by dethl
Does not decode CSS......how am I supposed to backup my DVD's if this program can't crack the weak encryption on the DVD?

Downloading this was a waste of time....

You obviously don't understand the point of this program. It never claimed to decode DVD's... that's not the purpose of the program. You simply downloaded the wrong program.

Many others were eagerly awaiting this application...

arn

ecino1
Apr 22, 2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by dethl
Does not decode CSS......how am I supposed to backup my DVD's if this program can't crack the weak encryption on the DVD?

Downloading this was a waste of time....

Wow. You should really read up on things before saying uneducated comments about them! It isn's advertised as a decoder program, its purpose is to backup DVD's onto a single 4.3 gig disc. Use a program like DVD backup 1.3 to decode it. Loser.

dethl
Apr 22, 2003, 09:37 PM
My bad...I assumed this was a DVD decoder....I did misread, but the info wasn't exactly crystal clear. Now I see what this is for. Might be useful if I ever get a DVD burner :P

maradong
Apr 22, 2003, 11:21 PM
i like dvdx.
well but is it really that fast? Is there a version for mac / linux aviable?

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Apr 23, 2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by maradong
i like dvdx.

They just came out with the Mac version....please re-read the news in the link.....

the future
Apr 23, 2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by maradong
i like dvdx.

...and yes, it really is this fast.

maradong
Apr 23, 2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
They just came out with the Mac version....please re-read the news in the link.....

:D OOps...
Shame on me.

morlium
Apr 23, 2003, 10:02 AM
how much is $49.99 Euro in U.S. dollars?

...just curious.

geeman
Apr 23, 2003, 10:16 AM
At the current rate of descent about ten grand...:D ;) :D

Seriously though, work on a Euro being about $1.10 and you won't be far off. So 49.99 Euro is about 55 bucks.

rickvanr
Apr 23, 2003, 11:49 AM
ive been waiting for this app for well over 6 months... thank god

i cant wait to try it, has anyone tried it yet?? any reviews?

jeremy.king
Apr 23, 2003, 12:05 PM
From their website:

Most DVD's are encrypted and need to be decrypted before you can process them with DVD2one. Since decrypting DVD's can be against the law in your country, this part is not included in DVD2one. You will have to search the internet to find a program that can do this job.

Does this actually mean you need another decoding software to use this? I am not experienced in DVD backups, could someone clarify this statement? Was dethl right?

Can anyone one help the non-adept?

Thanks.

scchang
Apr 23, 2003, 12:07 PM
I tried to copy a couple dvds and got the message that encrypted data was encountered that could not be decrypted. Am I missing a step or what?

the future
Apr 23, 2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by scchang
I tried to copy a couple dvds and got the message that encrypted data was encountered that could not be decrypted. Am I missing a step or what?

Yes you are. You need to decrypt the DVD content first. You can use DVDBackup 1.3 for that (look it up on versiontracker).

I have been testing DVD2oneX today and can assure anyone that it works just fine, in 'movie only' mode as well as in 'disc copy' mode. On my PB 867 it takes about 30 minutes - which is a giant leap forwards for making DVD backups on a Mac.

morlium
Apr 23, 2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by geeman
At the current rate of descent about ten grand...:D ;) :D

LOL

Seriously though, work on a Euro being about $1.10 and you won't be far off. So 49.99 Euro is about 55 bucks.

Thanks.
Maybe it's me, but doesn't $50 seem awfully steep for a third-party niche product?

the future
Apr 23, 2003, 04:19 PM
Well, there's no competition for this app...

dethl
Apr 23, 2003, 09:18 PM
First, I decrypt whatever data I need to decrypt off the DVD, then I put it into DVD2OneX and compress it into a single DVD, burn and then I'm done...

Is this for DVD movies files only, or is it able to compress large non-movie files?

Can we see screenshots of the picture quality before and after the compression?

Also, isn't it legal to have decryption software over in Europe, or have they passed a similar DMCA laws? It would be really handy (and much easier too) if you guys could decrypt as well, but if a mass majority of your customers are American, I can see why you wouldn't do it.

This program gives me alot more incentive for buying a Powermac with a superdrive in it for college :D

andrewlandry
Apr 23, 2003, 11:16 PM
can you burn the ripped DVD in Toast?

the future
Apr 24, 2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by andrewlandry
can you burn the ripped DVD in Toast?

Yes. You just have to drag the VIDEO_TS folder that DVD2oneX produces onto Toast (Option 'other' -> 'DVD'), add an empty folder named AUDIO_TS for maximum compatibility with standalone DVD players and then burn the disc.

To see the quality the app produces you can download the demo version from http://www.dvd2one.com/download.php - it will do exactly what the registered version does, but only for the first 30 minutes of the movie.

And yes, it's only for dvd movie files.

rickvanr
Apr 24, 2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by the future
Yes. You just have to drag the VIDEO_TS folder that DVD2oneX produces onto Toast (Option 'other' -> 'DVD'), add an empty folder named AUDIO_TS for maximum compatibility with standalone DVD players and then burn the disc.

does adding the AUDIO_TS folder make a huge difference? all the dvds ive burned i havent included it, and they work fine. Isn't the AUDIO_TS folder automatically created when the dvd is burned anyhow?

Nermal
Apr 24, 2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by rickvanr
does adding the AUDIO_TS folder make a huge difference? all the dvds ive burned i havent included it, and they work fine. Isn't the AUDIO_TS folder automatically created when the dvd is burned anyhow?

The DVD spec requires the AUDIO_TS to be present, but most players don't care about it. But to conform with the spec it should be there.

moby1
Apr 25, 2003, 02:09 AM
I've just finished my 3rd movie backup! I see no noticeable degrading of the image.

3 1/2 hr. 6.9 GB movie took 45 min. to convert to a 4.36 GB movie. 2 hr 6.7 GB movie took 35 min. on 1GHz G4.

BTW - Worked with 2 soundtracks (movie, director's comments) AND subtitles.

Definitely worth the $50.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Apr 25, 2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by moby1
I've just finished my 3rd movie backup! I see no noticeable degrading of the image.

3 1/2 hr. 6.9 GB movie took 45 min. to convert to a 4.36 GB movie. 2 hr 6.7 GB movie took 35 min. on 1GHz G4.

BTW - Worked with 2 soundtracks (movie, director's comments AND subtitles).

Definitely worth the $50.

Were those time totals with or without decoding and burning?

moby1
Apr 25, 2003, 05:06 AM
Those totals are for DVD2one process only.

DVD burning will depend on your burner's speed. Figure 1 hr. at 1X or 30 min. at 2X. 10 min. if you have a 4X.

beatle888
Apr 25, 2003, 11:15 AM
this is wonderful. even though i dont have a dvd burner im happy for those that do. my favorite dvd gets no viewing time due to scuffs or scratches.