PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac not sleeping automatically

tech4all
Nov 9, 2006, 11:22 PM
My Power Mac G5 does not go to sleep automatically. I had it set to go to sleep after 5 minutes of no activity. At least 5 minutes past but the computer failed to go into sleep mode. What could be preventing from going to sleep after the specified time?

Info:
Power Mac G5 dual 2.0Ghz
OS X 10.4.8

Thanks. :)

Sweetfeld28
Nov 10, 2006, 12:06 AM
What do your settings look like in the Sys. Profiler?

tech4all
Nov 10, 2006, 12:34 AM
It says this:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 60
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Dynamic Power Step: Yes
Reduce Processor Speed: No
Sleep On Power Button: Yes
Automatic Restart on Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake on LAN: Yes
Wake on Modem Ring: No

I changed the Sleep Timer back to 60 minutes and the Display Sleep Timer back to 10 minutes.

Sweetfeld28
Nov 10, 2006, 12:40 AM
So, will it sleep if you hit the power button, like it states in your info? I am just wondering cause it looks like it should be working.

Your settings look good to me, First the HD sleep, Then Monitor, then System.

Not sure what it could be.

tech4all
Nov 10, 2006, 12:56 AM
So, will it sleep if you hit the power button, like it states in your info?

Yea it does that fine. It used to work, I know if I was away from my computer for a while, I would come back to find it sleeping. Not sure the last time it automatically went to sleep though.

Thanks for your help though. :)

mad jew
Nov 10, 2006, 12:59 AM
Are there any apps running? What sort of processes do you have running too (sort by CPU usage in Activity Monitor)? What sort of hardware do you have plugged in?

tech4all
Nov 10, 2006, 01:56 AM
Are there any apps running? What sort of processes do you have running too (sort by CPU usage in Activity Monitor)? What sort of hardware do you have plugged in?

In Activity Monitor I have a variety of things running such as basic apps, widgets, and other stuff that I'm not sure what they are. Some of the one's I'm not sure of include: dmnotifyd, MirrorAgent (related to iDisk?), pbs, SyncServer, mdimport, aped, ATSServer, to name a few. Is there anything in particular I should look for?

As far as attached hardware, I have a LaCie external hard drive, iPod (although not always in dock), Wacom Tablet, RF mouse (Logitech MX Revolution), Apple USB keyboard, speakers, card reader, USB/Firewire hub....and I think that's about it, and oh yeah a printer, but that's off right now.

I suppose it could be some app running in the background that's preventing the computer from going into sleep. I'm going to be turning in for the night, but if there's anything else you need to know just post back and I'll get back to you sometime tomorrow. Wonder if it's a bug in the OS....? :confused:

Thanks for the help! :)

speakerwizard
Nov 10, 2006, 01:58 AM
haha, yeah, the classic insomniac mac, my new imac was fine, then just stopped, tried everything, apps, wireless, usbs, pram, etc, nothing, found out about sleepwatcher, its a script ap or something to enable auto sleep, as well as other customizable things

mad jew
Nov 10, 2006, 09:28 PM
Maybe unplug all that hardware and see how it goes. :)

tech4all
Nov 10, 2006, 11:59 PM
Maybe unplug all that hardware and see how it goes. :)

Ok I'll go ahead and do that. The Wacom tablet is the newest thing I've got, so maybe that's causing....not sure. I could reinstall the OS, but we'll see.

Thanks for the help, mad jew. :)

mad jew
Nov 11, 2006, 12:10 AM
No worries mate, tell us how it goes. :)

Sweetfeld28
Nov 11, 2006, 12:18 AM
This is something you probably already know, but here it is anyway:

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303698)

I am still curious why it won't sleep, so i'll keep looking...

tech4all
Nov 11, 2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the link, Sweetfeld28. :)

If I find a solution to this problem or anything else, I'll let you guys know.