Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm installing a new hard drive and repartitioning my main drive (going from 3 parts to 2). I regularly backup my documents...but this is the first time under OS X that I've tried a backup and clean install. Here are my questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming I just have to backup my Users folder to backup all my preferences and other data?

2. If anyone has any real world advice on using the Backup utility that came with .Mac, I'd appreciate it. I use it to backup my documents, but I've never had to actually restore from it (knock-wood).

Thanks in advance.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
copying directories like this can be tricky, try using CarbonCopyCloner. It makes a perfect duplicate of your files with correct permissions and attributes... if you don't mess with the normal heirarchy, backing up Users would be fine... you might want to back up Applications too, since reinstalling everything can be a pain...

Unfortunately i have not found an adequate automated daily backup for OS X. some come close, but the features just aren't there...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.