PDA

View Full Version : seti




bokdol
Apr 23, 2003, 02:28 PM
i have officially trasfered my macaddict group to macrumors. my tiny 58 units done has found a new home..:D



Doctor Q
Apr 23, 2003, 02:49 PM
You and your 58 units are quite welcome. You should really post this to the Distributed Computing (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=19) forum, not Community Discussion.

Stelliform
Apr 23, 2003, 03:36 PM
What is our SETI team number? (Although I like having all of our eggs in one Basket under folding, I am all for promoting MacRumors.com. :))

Doctor Q
Apr 23, 2003, 05:30 PM
We must be team number 139691 since our group stat page is at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_139691.html.

wsteineker
Apr 23, 2003, 05:55 PM
Sweet! Welcome aboard, man. Don't feel bad about your paltry 58 units, either. I've only got 18 so far, but every little bit helps. Soon enough this 450 will be crunching full time (it's on the screen saver client right now) and I'll have a new Dual GHz machine to add to the mix. Then the numbers will start coming in! :D

BTW, I know there's a folding core under development that takes advantage of AltiVec. Any idea if the SETI core does the same or if there's a plan to develop such a core?

bokdol
Apr 24, 2003, 07:36 AM
thanbk god i have a 366 ibook thank is always on... but it takes for ever to do one work unit.. hahaha. and i am happy to be a part of the macrumors team

law guy
Apr 24, 2003, 10:18 PM
I'd just downloaded the client the weekend prior to last and I've been amazed at how well the dual 1.42 has done. It's crunching units at an average of 6 1/2 hrs. (faster results when it's just running overnight). 55 units completed to date coming up on two weeks.

yzedf
May 23, 2003, 07:52 PM
damn... i would only be 3rd in the group...

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=chris@punchit.net&cmd=user_stats_new

MrMacMan
May 25, 2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
damn... i would only be 3rd in the group...

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=chris@punchit.net&cmd=user_stats_new

damn, how many computers are you running that on?

maradong
Jun 1, 2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker

BTW, I know there's a folding core under development that takes advantage of AltiVec. Any idea if the SETI core does the same or if there's a plan to develop such a core?
i don t think so, but i certainly can be wrong.
this is why i think it s not gonna happen.
Altivec is a speacial treatement for vectors, and matrixes. But well , while fah or gah is really spinning the molecules to see where they fir, and how they are composed., seti is "just" analysing some tones. and tones, are not really treated well with altivec.... infact the altivec system isn t appliable to sounds. that s why, even if there would be an altivec seti client, realeased, there would be no real speed bump. and therefore the coding of the new client isn t really useful.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 1, 2003, 10:33 AM
Wow, 4 4000+ days in a row - and its looking like we might get a 5th! Our curve of the Extreme page is now it a definite positive direction - that's the problem with it, its not a large enogh sampling of days and the overall chart comparing the other teams is just a straight line...

But, could this be the 30,000 point week!?!?

Woohoo!

D

maradong
Jun 1, 2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Wow, 4 4000+ days in a row - and its looking like we might get a 5th! Our curve of the Extreme page is now it a definite positive direction - that's the problem with it, its not a large enogh sampling of days and the overall chart comparing the other teams is just a straight line...

But, could this be the 30,000 point week!?!?

Woohoo!

D
i hope so :D

NNO-Stephen
Jun 9, 2003, 07:01 PM
I've got 417 work units done and almost done with the 418th... I'm on team MacAddict though.

pfranzen
Jun 10, 2003, 09:28 AM
I can't let you guys do all the work...I just signed up for the folding program and joined your team :)

P

Vlade
Jun 10, 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
I've got 417 work units done and almost done with the 418th... I'm on team MacAddict though.

Wanna switch?

yzedf
Jun 11, 2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
damn, how many computers are you running that on?
Now it is on 3 desktops (only 2 are running often) and 1 P3 500MHz laptop. Fastest machine (1333MHz Athlon) does about 6-8hrs per unit. My new machine (not sure what it will be.... 970?) should be much faster!!! :D

maradong
Jun 11, 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by pfranzen
I can't let you guys do all the work...I just signed up for the folding program and joined your team :)

P
good so :D