PDA

View Full Version : Recharging iPods without iTunes?

MacSA
Nov 13, 2006, 06:40 AM
Is it possible to recharge an iPod on a computer that doesn't have iTunes installed and say running Windows ME? Particularly the shuffle/Nano?

Doesn't it automatically start to recharge when its connected via USB?

Chundles
Nov 13, 2006, 06:54 AM
Is it possible to recharge an iPod on a computer that doesn't have iTunes installed and say running Windows ME? Particularly the shuffle/Nano?

Doesn't it automatically start to recharge when its connected via USB?

If the port is powered then yeah it should but, and I'm just brain-storming here so I'm probably wrong but, maybe if the computer doesn't recognise the device (ME wouldn't) it could cut the power to the port. I'll reiterate, I don't know if what I've just said is true, it's just me thinking out loud.

Warbrain
Nov 13, 2006, 07:00 AM
If the port is powered then yeah it should but, and I'm just brain-storming here so I'm probably wrong but, maybe if the computer doesn't recognise the device (ME wouldn't) it could cut the power to the port. I'll reiterate, I don't know if what I've just said is true, it's just me thinking out loud.

That would make some sense, especially if it's formatted for Mac. If it isn't, then a PC should be able to at least recognize it as a HDD.

ziwi
Nov 13, 2006, 07:55 AM
Yes - I have done this with a shuffle. Let it charge on my work PC for the gym. It just sees it as another drive.

Warbrain
Nov 13, 2006, 08:09 AM
Yes - I have done this with a shuffle. Let it charge on my work PC for the gym. It just sees it as another drive.

That's because the shuffle is formatted to be read on both a Mac and a PC. But if the OP formatted his iPod to be Mac-only, the PC will not recognize the device. I've done this with a shuffle before, too, but the shuffle is a different creature than the full-size iPod.

Jasonbot
Nov 13, 2006, 08:21 AM
Hmm, I can charge my Mac formatted iPod on any PC! IDK about you you but charging just needs a USB port! Syncing is a different story though.

Warbrain
Nov 13, 2006, 08:23 AM
Hmm, I can charge my Mac formatted iPod on any PC! IDK about you you but charging just needs a USB port! Syncing is a different story though.

Some PCs will cut power to the USB port if the drive isn't recognized by the computer.

crees!
Nov 13, 2006, 09:50 AM
That's because the shuffle is formatted to be read on both a Mac and a PC. But if the OP formatted his iPod to be Mac-only, the PC will not recognize the device. Correct, but it will still charge it even if it's formatted only for Mac but plugged into a Windows box.

MacSA
Nov 13, 2006, 10:12 AM
Well I would have assumed a Win ME PC would recognise a shuffle as a "Removable Drive" - like a flash memory drive? I have a USB2 flash drive that works fine on the Win ME PC.