Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Interesting indeed...

I'll have to check this out at the lab tomorrow.

It will be nice to see some "free" extra output for all us Mac teams. :)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
so when can we expect to see dual processor scripts on this?

D
it's a matter of changing .24 to .25 and maybe a -verbosity switch.

...and the fact that most ppl are crunching off the old ones, so i'll have to do something that wont delete everything.

i could prob get it done today provided stanford did everything right. i saw .25 last night but decided to watch a movie hours into the night instead of looking more at folding.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Same here. I looked on the points list and this WU has a 50 day return limit. :eek:

Yeah, I was pissed because this is a new type of protein that they Just released so I don't want to dump it. :(

It has some weird long name... 'p639_L939_K12M_nat'

I'm sure it will take FOREVER! :(

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
update

okay i tried it but it gives me 633 every time, which is not gromacs-- even if i specify the -advmethods. from reading the thread linked from this thread, it seems that .25 just fixes some bugs/logging issues but does not do anything with gromacs yet. :(

i guess it's going to be a few more days b4 they start distributing gromacs via -advmethods. but don't take my word for it, read the thread linked from this thread.

so it's sort of pointless for me to update anything until i actually see gromacs. the developers say they will realease a way to get gromacs every time, so be patient.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: update

Originally posted by mc68k
okay i tried it but it gives me 633 every time, which is not gromacs-- even if i specify the -advmethods. from reading the thread linked from this thread, it seems that .25 just fixes some bugs/logging issues but does not do anything with gromacs yet. :(

i guess it's going to be a few more days b4 they start distributing gromacs via -advmethods. but don't take my word for it, read the thread linked from this thread.

so it's sort of pointless for me to update anything until i actually see gromacs. the developers say they will realease a way to get gromacs every time, so be patient.

WHOOPS! :rolleyes:

I forgot something major didn't I...

ah ha! the new core...

I *think* that the new core allows gromac units... just don't take my word on it...

Since the new core there the, 78, was given 2 days ago... I think that is the new one.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
is it a blue moon again?

wow a rare semi-useful post from mr. macman

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: is it a blue moon again?

wow a rare semi-useful post from mr. macman

hey, no reason to be nasty now.

Its not like I was yelling at you to update the script or something... I was giving info.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
someone speak plain english to me?...hehe

whats gromacs anyway? and basically...what am i supposed to download to make my mac fold faster?

Macs4Me

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2003
Louisiana
Re: update

Hey guys that is exactly what I got out of reading the disscussions group on the new release @ Stanford. Think they will let us test the new release for a couple of days then they will release Gromacs capability. Not sure if this will be automatic though.

Macs4Me

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I am running 3.25 and the feedback is finally like the PC version. Here is an example....

[19:53:02] Version 3.8 October 2000
[19:53:02] Copyright (c) Jay William Ponder 1990-2000
[19:53:02] portions Copyright (c) Michael Shirts 2001
[19:53:02] portions Copyright (c) Vijay S Pande 2001
[20:05:16] Finished a frame (1)
[20:18:15] Finished a frame (2)
[20:30:52] Finished a frame (3)

While 12 Minutes a Frame isn't exciting, at least I now know how long a frame is taking. :)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Stelliform
I am running 3.25 and the feedback is finally like the PC version. Here is an example....

[19:53:02] Version 3.8 October 2000
[19:53:02] Copyright (c) Jay William Ponder 1990-2000
[19:53:02] portions Copyright (c) Michael Shirts 2001
[19:53:02] portions Copyright (c) Vijay S Pande 2001
[20:05:16] Finished a frame (1)
[20:18:15] Finished a frame (2)
[20:30:52] Finished a frame (3)

While 12 Minutes a Frame isn't exciting, at least I now know how long a frame is taking. :)

ha, for me it is like 1 hour - 2 frames, god damn 70 pointers.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
i use the text client, but I dont know how to do the advanced gizmos. How do you get into the -advmethods stuff? and what can you change in it? And do I need that new core to use Gromacs? Which one do you download

Sorry for being stupid.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
'is this going to work with the screensaver?' is my question. i just don't like running the background CLI client. the screensaver is much better for me, so its only running when i'm not there. i installed the 3.25 screensaver, is there more i should do?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by me hate windows
i use the text client, but I dont know how to do the advanced gizmos. How do you get into the -advmethods stuff? and what can you change in it? And do I need that new core to use Gromacs? Which one do you download
for me -advmethods has not worked. i tried it with the core78 in my folder and i tried it without, but every time it's like i didn't even use it.

Folding@home Version 3.25
Usage: OSX-3.25 [-mode]

modes:
-config Configure user information
-queueinfo Get information on queued work units
-delete x Delete item #x from work queue
-send x Send result #x to server. Use x=all to send all results
-verbosity x Sets the output level, from 1 to 9 (max). The default is 3
-pause Pause after finishing & trying to send current unit
-forceasm Force core assembly optimizations to be used if available
-advmethods Use new advanced scientific menthods (beta)
-local will use the current directory for the data files.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by sparkleytone
'is this going to work with the screensaver?' is my question. i just don't like running the background CLI client. the screensaver is much better for me, so its only running when i'm not there. i installed the 3.25 screensaver, is there more i should do?
no you're all set. as far as using the new core, that won't happen as it's still in beta and has to be induced with -advmethods. i don't think the screensaver wil do this by default, so you'll just have to wait til the new core goes into full rotation.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
ok, i'm kinda lost here. i was all happy with meself as i finally joined you guys in the folding thing. i just installed 4 brand spanking new 1.42DP macs at work (i love my job :) ) and thought that they'd help in the folding, so i saw the new release and downloaded it, but now i'm thinking it wasn't worth it??? :confused:

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
okay here's the skinny from stanford...

Hi,
Gro units are trickling out on advanced methods -- if you have the -advmethods flag there's a chance you may get one on an assignment today. Next week, we'll set it up so that all assignments to people using -advmethods flag will be Gro.
Thanks,
Guha
so be patient. i don't want to release scripts that might have issues that i couldn't test for.

evoluzione: it's not like 3.25 does much different from 3.24 at this point, so u can still help the team by running non-gromacs 3.24 or 3.25.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: okay here's the skinny from stanford...

Originally posted by evoluzione
sweet, now all i gotta do is figure out what the hell everyone just said in this thread :D

Just wait a week to see if there are some gaping (which their shouldn't be) errors or glitches.

Basically they fixed time stamping and added gromac.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
well...it seems that i am finishing a frame every 18 minutes when the screensaver is on. am i to assume that when the new fah core is ready the screensaver will automatically download and use it?? i tried replacing the 65 core with the 78 core but it just redownloaded the 65. what the deal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.