PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Changing From Apple to ZUNE?

Brayden87
Nov 16, 2006, 02:41 AM
Hey guys, after some research.

I am very keen in buying the new Zune when it comes to Aus.
It looks BIG tho, fatter then the old 40GB Photos.

But really its only for a few more things then ipod.

Anyone else thinking about changing?

I might give it a try!

:) :) :) :)

DZ/015
Nov 16, 2006, 02:43 AM
In a word, sacrilege.

NATO
Nov 16, 2006, 02:49 AM
Satan will be skating to work before I swap my iPod for a Zune :p

bartelby
Nov 16, 2006, 02:50 AM
Erm, have you missed all the shockingly, but not surprisingly, bad reviews it's been getting?

And have you noticed this is Macrumors too?

dalvin200
Nov 16, 2006, 02:52 AM

:eek:

i0Nic
Nov 16, 2006, 02:54 AM
Nope, too big, too ugly, no mac compatibility, wireless feature useless, can't use device as external hdd. Doesn't offer anything useful over the ipod, but has some severe negatives.

Truth is, why would a person even contemplate switching to a zune, especially when theres the supposed true video ipod on the horizon.

GFLPraxis
Nov 16, 2006, 03:02 AM

I might give it a try!

Why would you? It's the same price, there's less content available (currently NO video content), it's fatter, it's not Mac compatible in any way, the software sucks, and there's absolutely no accessory support.

Brayden87
Nov 16, 2006, 05:00 AM
Good points, it was just an idea because i am sick of my Nano 8gb screwing up with freezing, not turning off, having to reset it ect.

I may just upgrade to a Video 30gb then if it makes you guys happy. It will be my 5th ipod then.

:) Thanks guys and I LOVE APPLE

Sesshi
Nov 16, 2006, 06:32 AM
At first I was thinking I might, but not really now. The more I read about it, the less appealing it is.

Queso
Nov 16, 2006, 06:37 AM
At first I was thinking I might, but not really now. The more I read about it, the less appealing it is.
It's a version 1.0 product from Microsoft, so I was expecting it to be rubbish. I hope for their sake they haven't really made the rumoured 4 million units for the US market this Christmas. They'll be having to give Zunes away in Corn Flakes to get those numbers shifted.

I expect the Zune model this time next year will be much better, but then so will next year's iPod. We will see.....

thejadedmonkey
Nov 16, 2006, 09:07 AM
And have you noticed this is Macrumors too?
Lucky for him, he's talking about an iPod, not a mac.

Oh, wait.. community discussion. that's right.. he can talk about XP too. wait, can he? yeah he can.. or zune on Vista on an iMac if he so chooses to.

Yeah, to the OP, I was actually thinking about it. Evidently you can find it for what amounts to $175 in some places. I would consider trading in a 10 gig 3rd gen iPod for a 30 gig Zune that's customizable and feels solid in my hands.

But then again, I'm just a poor college student so I probably won't be able to afford it.. but if any M$ reps are reading this, put a zune in my hands and you'll have the best viral marketing (assuming the zune can hold it's own!)

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2006, 09:09 AM
Hahahaha no. My 3G iPod still rocks and I have no desire to get a Zune. :cool:

Warbrain
Nov 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
How could I when the damn company doesn't support my computer?

Chundles
Nov 16, 2006, 09:13 AM

I might give it a try!

Oh good lord no.

And the Zune isn't due to arrive in Aus until "sometime" next year. In fact, if it fails spectacularly in the US we might be waiting a lot longer for MS's brown boat anchor to arrive.

Meanwhile, the first accessory designed to keep the Zune in top nick has been released:
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/686/turdpolishjg9.gif

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2006, 09:14 AM

Heh heh - never even thought of that one - very good point! :D

mrkramer
Nov 16, 2006, 09:17 AM

I might give it a try!

I would never use a Zune. If you want to get one though go ahead, just make sure that you have a PC to use it with.

MrFirework
Nov 16, 2006, 09:17 AM
I already did switch! I ate some bad Mexican food yesterday, and let's just say I didn't QUITE make it to the restroom. I was expecting, when I got there, to find some SERIOUS skid marks, and who knows what kind of mess.

But when I got my pants pulled down, wouldn't you know it! A brand new shiny ZUNE! (Minus the zip-lock bag it comes in).

So hey, since it was free...

calculus
Nov 16, 2006, 09:23 AM

I heard it doesn't even support their own system!

thworple
Nov 16, 2006, 09:26 AM
I heard it doesn't even support their own system!

Not being supported on Vista, is without doubt my favourite Zune feature! ;)

princealfie
Nov 16, 2006, 09:28 AM
Ironically the Zune is the sign of Doom.

I wouldn't consider it... the only other non-Apple mp3 players I have is Sandisk and Creative and both are miles ahead than the Zune I fiddled round with a few days ago at NYC MegaVirgin.

mdntcallr
Nov 16, 2006, 09:32 AM
no way bro. zune is a dog.

gluck finding anyone with a zune to "trade" with.

and it's not like apple can't respond with more functions.

lmalave
Nov 16, 2006, 10:57 AM
...only then can I even consider it. I'm still waiting for Microsoft, Real, Napster, or anyone else to provide a music subscription service that's OS X compatible. I'm a huge fan of the music subscription model - so that might get me to switch in the future.

But probably not with this model of Zune. It's just too big and clunky. Let's see what future generations of the Zune look like.

princealfie
Nov 16, 2006, 11:01 AM
...only then can I even consider it. I'm still waiting for Microsoft, Real, Napster, or anyone else to provide a music subscription service that's OS X compatible. I'm a huge fan of the music subscription model - so that might get me to switch in the future.

But the question is why subscription? Renting music isn't very smart.

Chundles
Nov 16, 2006, 11:11 AM

Let's not start this argument again. Horses for courses - people have different needs and ideas as to how they want to interact with their music. If the guy wants to rent his music then let him.

Lancetx
Nov 16, 2006, 11:49 AM
Let me count the reasons I won't be swapping my iPod in on a Zune...

1. Zune has no Mac compatibility (and somewhat limited Windows compatibility to boot)
2. Zune doesn't function as an external HD
3. Zune doesn't do games
4. Zune doesn't have Calendar/To-Do/Contacts/World Clock functionality, etc.
5. Zune doesn't support lossless audio
6-99. Need I go on??

plinden
Nov 16, 2006, 11:52 AM
Joy of Tech (http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/891.html) has a nice take on this.

Sesshi
Nov 16, 2006, 01:12 PM

It's very smart given that the music quality of download services is at best 'acceptable'. You rent music, listen to whatever however many times as you like for the cost of a CD a month. Then you buy CD's for what you want to keep. I've only ever bought music from iTunes for demonstration purposes. But the current methods of renting all suck. I just wish iTunes would offer subscription.

twoodcc
Nov 16, 2006, 01:14 PM
i sure hope that there aren't many people switching. it's like switching from Tiger to XP......almost

Dagless
Nov 16, 2006, 01:24 PM
Hahahaha no. My 3G iPod still rocks and I have no desire to get a Zune. :cool:

Curse you! the 3G iPod was the best music machine I ever used. Beats my iPod Mini. WHY DID I SELL YOU?! WHY!! Because I'm a fool.

I will not be switching from iPod. Unless something that genuinely better comes along.

carve
Nov 17, 2006, 05:08 PM
Trust me if you get a zune you'll regret it a day later! It looks like its the size of a brick! It's really heavy! Don't go to the zune. stay with the sweet looking, awesome sounding, stylish, sleek, icon: iPod!

BornAgainMac
Nov 17, 2006, 05:24 PM
If I was a Microsoft Fan Boy I would still not buy one. Because I would have Media Center 2005 and I don't think that the tools work with the Zune Tunes software. For example, drop in a soundtrack into Movie Maker, use the remote to navigate with my music.

~Shard~
Nov 17, 2006, 07:58 PM
Curse you! the 3G iPod was the best music machine I ever used. Beats my iPod Mini. WHY DID I SELL YOU?! WHY!! Because I'm a fool.

I will not be switching from iPod. Unless something that genuinely better comes along.

Haha, sorry man. ;) Yeah, it's a great little player and honestly has not lost much of its charge so I really have no need to upgrade it for a while. Although if a full screen virtual scroll wheel iPod comes out I may have to reconsider... Nah, I'd just buy it in addition to my 3G. :D :cool:

beatzfreak
Nov 17, 2006, 08:03 PM
I'm not familiar with the Zune software or M$ in general, but wouldn't it be a major chore to switch your entire music library over to the Zune interface?

That, alone, would be a reason not to switch.

Frisco
Nov 17, 2006, 08:10 PM
I'm not familiar with the Zune software or M$ in general, but wouldn't it be a major chore to switch your entire music library over to the Zune interface?

That, alone, would be a reason not to switch.

I believe the Zune software, which I hear is basically just Windows Media Player, automatically imports your iTunes music library and playlists into it, minus purchased music and smart playlists. Zune software doesn't offer smart playlists.

backsidetailsli
Nov 17, 2006, 09:34 PM
Let me count the reasons I won't be swapping my iPod in on a Zune...

1. Zune has no Mac compatibility (and somewhat limited Windows compatibility to boot)
2. Zune doesn't function as an external HD
3. Zune doesn't do games
4. Zune doesn't have Calendar/To-Do/Contacts/World Clock functionality, etc.
5. Zune doesn't support lossless audio
6-99. Need I go on??

yah man you bring up good points
but seriously a zune? gimme a break, i feel stupid even saying its name

iMeowbot
Nov 17, 2006, 09:42 PM
Zune software doesn't offer smart playlists.
It does have them. The report that said otherwise was retracted (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/we-were-wrong-zune-does-support-smart-playlists-215303.php).

Counterfit
Nov 17, 2006, 11:35 PM
I'm running out of room on my 30GB iPod. Does MS make one bigger than that? No? Well, no Zune for me.

Okay, I wasn't going to get one anyway, but still.

Brayden87
Nov 21, 2006, 09:11 PM
Hey,

I got the 80gb IPOD instead of the ZUNE and it rocks. Think about it, it may appear to be big to some people, but really its not, 20,000 songs in my palm. That is one big leap technology has taken. Also the 30gb is not that much smaller anyway. I have put like 20 movies on it and those games are average

the prices of them are a good price considering you get 9 for $67AU when psp charge $80AU for a game you finish in a day.

:) :) :)

archurban
Nov 21, 2006, 09:33 PM
It does have them. The report that said otherwise was retracted (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/we-were-wrong-zune-does-support-smart-playlists-215303.php).

yes I can see that. but it's not simple as itunes does. that's the problem. I don't understand why you need to open window to set smart playlist? on mac, simply one click on pop up menu to choose new smart playlist. that's it.

animenick65
Nov 21, 2006, 10:00 PM
The zune is a first gen product and is halfway decent considering. you all forget that it includes an FM player which most mp3 players have had for awhile while the IPOD does not have one. I think its also a MAJOR step in the right direction in terms of GUI. the ipod gui is old and boring. I think the zune at its very least is good competition for Apple and will light a flame under its but. Good competition is what drives prices down and gives consumers more bang for their buck. I hope it does well and I hope that future zunes do well.

dmw007
Nov 21, 2006, 10:10 PM
In a word....NO. :p :D

Superdrive
Nov 22, 2006, 02:27 AM
The zune is a first gen product and is halfway decent considering. you all forget that it includes an FM player which most mp3 players have had for awhile while the IPOD does not have one. I think its also a MAJOR step in the right direction in terms of GUI. the ipod gui is old and boring. I think the zune at its very least is good competition for Apple and will light a flame under its but. Good competition is what drives prices down and gives consumers more bang for their buck. I hope it does well and I hope that future zunes do well.

Remember, the iPod is a music player. KISS. If you want the FM function, buy the adapter. The iPod interface is about as good as it gets. Any of that fancy crap would just slow/dumb it down.

gekko513
Nov 22, 2006, 03:02 AM
The reasons I see for me to switch to a Zune are... uhm... none. The reasons for keeping my iPod are numerous.

iMeowbot
Nov 22, 2006, 03:08 AM
yes I can see that. but it's not simple as itunes does. that's the problem. I don't understand why you need to open window to set smart playlist? on mac, simply one click on pop up menu to choose new smart playlist. that's it.
That's because Apple obtained a patent on a whole laundry list of possible ways to access playlists inside jukebox software.

j26
Nov 22, 2006, 03:29 AM
That's because Apple obtained a patent on a whole laundry list of possible ways to access playlists inside jukebox software.

I still don't understand how it's possible to patent something like that. It's a GUI, and surely would be more a copyright issue.

On topic
No, I see no reason to change to a Zune. The only things it has over iPod is FM radio (I have one on my phone) and sharing, which I'll never use.

archurban
Nov 22, 2006, 04:22 AM
not this time. if MS will offer mac compatible software like itunes, I will think about using for fun. but if they don't, it will be totally useless since I don't use windows in my mac. even bootcamp is not that much close.

anjinha
Nov 24, 2006, 07:28 PM
i just wish zunes were sold were i live so that i could go to a store and laugh at them... oh well...

clevin
Nov 24, 2006, 08:19 PM
it does not spt mac osx, otherwise, its not bad at all. since i dont even own an ipod, lol......

Digitaljim
Nov 24, 2006, 08:39 PM
3. Zune doesn't do games

But, lets face it, iPod games are truly awful.

And Apple have the cheek to charge 3.95 for them. Outrageous.

:rolleyes:

clevin
Nov 24, 2006, 08:48 PM
But, lets face it, iPod games are truly awful.

And Apple have the cheek to charge 3.95 for them. Outrageous.

:rolleyes:
some ppl like old classic games.

maxrobertson
Nov 24, 2006, 09:49 PM

But probably not with this model of Zune. It's just too big and clunky. Let's see what future generations of the Zune look like.

I read a review that on the Zune store, even if you subscribe, there are quite a few albums and songs that you still have to buy

Lancetx
Nov 24, 2006, 10:47 PM
some ppl like old classic games.

Agreed. I've certainly gotten my $4.99 worth out of Tetris already. I don't think Apple is overcharging for them at all considering what some video games cost these days.

ortuno2k
Nov 24, 2006, 11:59 PM
People complain that the iPod does not have FM radio capabilities, but... who buys a $249.00 (or higher) mp3 player to listen to the radio? Yea I know that sometimes to listen to the news and such, but for that matter buy a $10.00 portable radio from Radio Shack.
I wouldn't trade my 60GB iPod for 10,000 Zunes.

fusionstudios
Nov 25, 2006, 01:27 AM
Hell no.

I went to Best Buy today and happened to pass by the Zune. The employee there asked me if I could use any help. I told him I was fine, but Microsoft could use any help they can get.:D

You know the player is bound to fail when it's black Friday and absolutely no one is checking out the Zune.;)

Digitaljim
Nov 25, 2006, 04:26 AM
Agreed. I've certainly gotten my $4.99 worth out of Tetris already. I don't think Apple is overcharging for them at all considering what some video games cost these days.

I suppose you're right.

I've just become so accustomed to old games being 'free' through the emulation scene that they don't really hold much value to me anymore (too much of a good thing, etc..).

I can see how they'd be fun if I were travelling a lot each day, and 3.95 is one hell of a lot cheaper than a PSP. :o

dmw007
Nov 25, 2006, 06:58 AM
You know the player is bound to fail when it's black Friday and absolutely no one is checking out the Zune.;)

Ha, that is great! :D