PDA

View Full Version : All you once were macrumors folders

trainguy77
Nov 19, 2006, 10:07 PM
We need all those people who once folded for macrumors to return. I was just looking at our stats and they are pathetic when it comes to the number of people folding for us! We only have 175 active members of 1,899 folders! That is crazy!!!!!! If we got 3/4 of the people who once folded for us back we would be insane! We have really good output right now considering we only have 175 people folding. I think we also need to recruit some people with mac pros as these things are power houses....I am getting 1200-2000 points per day. Not to say that we don't want other machines as they help alot too!:D So guys I want this folding team to take off and I have time now to do whatever it takes to do that! I remember we had talks of setting up a web-page for our team and such. Anyone willing to help with that? Anyone have webspace we could use?

tvguru
Nov 20, 2006, 04:35 AM
Just got my MacBook Pro to start folding. Also, recruited my g/f. I've only gotten one WU out so far cuz of this buggy intel client. (still better then rosetta) We'll be folding from here on in. :)

savanahrose
Nov 20, 2006, 08:17 PM
excuse me but I am wondering what is this folding that you are talking about?:confused:

trainguy77
Nov 20, 2006, 09:35 PM
excuse me but I am wondering what is this folding that you are talking about?:confused:

http://folding.stanford.edu/
Its a distributed computing out of the University of Stanford. It uses your spare CPU to simulate proteins folding. And when you complete work units(WU) you get points for your user ID and your team. But first and for most it helps research. Points are just a perk. :D

savanahrose
Nov 21, 2006, 10:09 AM
I used the link, and I am going to read up more on this later. It sounds like a nice way to help out. without reading it fully, let me ask another question. Do you need any specific degree or anything to help out? Can just a normal person without a degree do anything to help?

Vlade
Nov 21, 2006, 11:00 AM
Once this intel beta finishes (I'm using it now but its only command line right now), we need to get Macrumors.com to have a front page article saying they finally completed a SMP mac version and that our team needs help again, because we have lost several people and I'm sure there are thousands of front page viewers that have never heard of folding before.

iGary
Nov 21, 2006, 11:04 AM
I roach out both of my computers enough. They need a break every night. :)

trainguy77
Nov 21, 2006, 12:01 PM
I used the link, and I am going to read up more on this later. It sounds like a nice way to help out. without reading it fully, let me ask another question. Do you need any specific degree or anything to help out? Can just a normal person without a degree do anything to help?
Any person can do it you don't need any degree. You just let it run on your computer and the smart people back at standford look at the results and use it for further research.

EricNau
Nov 23, 2006, 01:12 AM
Good Idea! After reading this thread I decided to get my iMac G5 up and folding again. Hope it helps! :)

tvguru
Nov 23, 2006, 02:19 AM
Guys, let me overtake everyone before you get back into this. Your help is appreciated. :D :o :p

chibianh
Nov 23, 2006, 03:15 AM
I'm chuggin along.. :D

macman2790
Nov 23, 2006, 10:00 PM
thanks for bringing this up, it sounds like a great idea.

Mr_Brightside_@
Nov 23, 2006, 10:48 PM
thanks for bringing this up, it sounds like a great idea.
What's our team number, and anything else I need to set it up?

Vlade
Nov 23, 2006, 10:50 PM
What's our team number, and anything else I need to set it up?

Team Macrumors is 3446 , and your username is ...um.... mAc-Vlade :D ;)

Check out the FAQ here - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=21908

Mr_Brightside_@
Nov 23, 2006, 10:59 PM
your username is ...um.... mAc-Vlade :D ;)

No sorry it's endingstart.
Completed 0 out of 20000000 steps (0)
Oh boy.
Cheers
EDIT How do I tell it to keep folding after I've shutdown and started back up?

dllavaneras
Nov 26, 2006, 01:50 PM
How do I tell it to keep folding after I've shutdown and started back up?

Just set the application (fah4) to launch on startup.
System Preferences Accounts Login items
(this is if you have Tiger. It shouldn't be too different in previous versions of OS X)

trainguy77
Nov 26, 2006, 02:01 PM
EDIT How do I tell it to keep folding after I've shutdown and started back up?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16999
Make sure you set the team number to 3446. This is program is for powerPC only.

zflauaus
Nov 29, 2006, 11:33 AM
Is it kind of ironic that I'm using my Windows machine to fold and help MacRumors? Either way, I'm ranked 676 in Macrumor or 137540 out of 500,000+. I think I'm doing pretty good. I think I'm also going to put it on my Linux server since it's on 24/7. If I could put it on my school network, that would be a lot of points there. about 2.8GHz P4 x about 60. :eek:

Macmaniac
Dec 5, 2006, 11:37 PM
Well I am back in it. I have main PC Folding: a 2.4ghz AMD Athalon 64, and I have my powebook G4 1.67ghz folding as well. Hopefully it will make a difference:D

trainguy77
Dec 6, 2006, 12:30 AM
Well my production is gone now. As it causes my machine to slowly lock up. At first when I start to fold(it never actually starts working just says it is) it begins by making some apps not quit. Then Apps stop launching. I once even received a kernel panic I am not sure if that is related but that was the first time I had problems ever since the kernel panic I have had all sorts of problems whenever I start folding. Nothing else triggers it. I have posted numerous times in the private beta forum. (as I am using the current semi-public beta) They have no answer they don't even answer now they just ignore it they must be out of ideas. Maybe I will try an install of Mac os X onto my external and see if that works.

twoodcc
Dec 6, 2006, 01:01 AM
well i'm trying out the console version, and i keep getting this error:

sh: line 1: ./mpiexec: No such file or directory

but the file does exist in the same folder as fah5

i guess it's not looking in the right place.

please help

dextertangocci
Dec 6, 2006, 01:52 AM
My dad's old iMac G4 800Mhz is folding 24/7:)

pmackin
Dec 6, 2006, 03:45 AM
I get an error saying could not connect to work server. No i dont have a firewall or proxy or anything like that.

dextertangocci
Dec 6, 2006, 09:07 AM
I get an error saying could not connect to work server. No i dont have a firewall or proxy or anything like that.

I got the same message this morning:confused: