Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Question as title. The Axiom 49 is what I'm considering. It'll fit in the under-table drawer for my new desking arrangement so seems ideal. I've also discovered a hack on the web of making it work with Garageband (which I'm finding quite nice to start with).

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
can't believe you need an acutal hack to make it work.

the regular driver won't let you?

i use M-Audio Keystation 61es myself. it's simply a controller, looks real simple and elegant. i don't need to go crazy on knob twisting (i got enough other gear to let me do that) MIDI wise, so i like it.

i also like the semi-weighted action. i like the regular weighted feel of piano, but i also like how quickly a non-weighed key jump back (useful for solo's, etc.). so this is happy in-between.

it also fits nicely on my table setup too.

oh yeah, no driver needed, as it's universal.

just some stuff to consider.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The Axiom uses the same semi-weighted action as far as I'm aware, and it dispenses with some of the needs to have a control surface. While using the temporary keyboard I actually bought the Mackie Control in the end but quite apart from the fact that I realised - after the gearhead mist had cleared - that it was massively overkill for my needs (not that that ever stopped me :D ), I found that I had nowhere realistic to put it - so back it went.

For my humble needs I'm actually quite happy with Garageband at the moment, so the fact the transport controls work with it is a bonus. (the iControl is the only surface as far as I know which natively supports garageband) I plan to add in Ableton as that method of working is how I think I prefer to fiddle with music (and the Axiom supports Ableton as well).

henk12321

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
I was planning to buy the Axiom 61 myself, but it doens't work with Garageband?!:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.