PDA

View Full Version : They Call it "Hydra"

City of Glass
Apr 27, 2003, 05:27 PM
Hey everyone,

I just downloaded a new, multi-user text editing application called "Hydra" . . . (link below):

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/hydra.html

It's not Shareware, so you don't have to worry about the annoyance of nag messages -- like the beautiful but persistent "Acquisition."

About Hydra: I love it. I use it now more than any other text editing application, which is something. For screenplays, I used to pull out the old "Final Draft" -- but Hydra handles that kind of project in a much more intelligent way.

It's also a "concise program," using very little memory while being both graceful and efficient. There are no ungainly panels of "endless" features to tinker with here. Just a quaint text-editing program which sometimes causes me to wish that every document could be ASCII.

Anyway, don't forget to download it . . .

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

chicagdan
Apr 27, 2003, 05:50 PM
For screenplays, I used to pull out the old "Final Draft" -- but Hydra handles that kind of project in a much more intelligent way.

Huh? How can a simple text editor compare with Final Draft? I can see using Hydra for projects where real-time collaboration was a necessity, but for single-writer screenplays, nothing compares to Final Draft.

teabgs
Apr 27, 2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by chicagdan
Huh? How can a simple text editor compare with Final Draft? I can see using Hydra for projects where real-time collaboration was a necessity, but for single-writer screenplays, nothing compares to Final Draft.

Yeah.....How can it be better than Final Draft?!?!?!

Final Draft is so easy and formats everything so very well....

NavyIntel007
Apr 27, 2003, 11:36 PM
I've been using Hydra for like a month. I love it. Although I haven't connected with anyone to edit a document, it's prefered over emacs or TextEdit.

City of Glass
Apr 28, 2003, 02:30 AM
I didn't say that Hydra was "better" or more feature-rich than Final Draft. It isn't . . . but it's more fun to use. More intelligent. Concise. Tighter.

The difference between a new, speedy 350Z and a luxurious, late-nineties Semi Truck.

C.o.G.

maradong
Apr 29, 2003, 07:54 AM
It looks really great. That s all i can say :)

NavyIntel007
Apr 29, 2003, 03:28 PM
Anyone tried to link two Hydras together?