PDA

View Full Version : Can I put *ANY* DVD burner in a G5 PowerMac

stuppy
Nov 22, 2006, 09:59 AM
Hey,

My G5 power mac has a standard CD burner in it that came with it when I got it - its given up the ghost. So I am going to replace it with a DVD Burner. Would I be right in thinking I can throw any DVD Burner in there? If i get the latest Pioneer Tray loading burner, that would slot right in there no problems right?

Quick answer needed as need to order this soon as :)

Cheers!

FFTT
Nov 22, 2006, 10:03 AM
NO, you have to make sure that your replacement drive is fully bootable.

Generally all Pioneer drives do quite well, but you should check the
drive compatabilty database at xlr8yourmac.com just to be sure.

stuppy
Nov 22, 2006, 10:05 AM
I don't want an external drive, I want to replace the internal borked one.

That website is not loading at the moment - can nobody give me some Drives that will defo work so that I can order it?

Its actually my collegues mac at work - I need to tell the tech guy what to order exactly or he'll order the wrong drive.

MacBoobsPro
Nov 22, 2006, 10:09 AM
I don't want an external drive, I want to replace the internal borked one.

That website is not loading at the moment - can nobody give me some Drives that will defo work so that I can order it?

Its actually my collegues mac at work - I need to tell the tech guy what to order exactly or he'll order the wrong drive.

I have a Pioneer 110D (i think) its a dual layer superdrive supported by OSX. I upgraded from a Pioneer 109 (i think) :D

speakerwizard
Nov 22, 2006, 10:20 AM
'patchburn' helps to use a lot of burners, like a universal driver, pioneers are best for macs generally when upgrading, look here: xlr8yourmac.com, there good

Greenjeens
Nov 22, 2006, 11:15 AM
Seems like Pioneer is popular with Macs. I'm using a Pioneer DVR 109. Works well, but made some strange noises when i lost "Patchburn". Excellent readabilty with Verbatim in all but one friends DVD (Sony?) player.
Think the guy at patchburn retires the installers and then charges for subsequent working installers.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/powermac/
http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/directory.html