Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I'm looking at getting a Oregon Scientific ATC-2K Helmet Cam which records/stores .avi files on SD cards. According to their site they are M-JPEG - motion jpegs, but I contacted tech support and they said it outputs .avi files. They also said it works with iFilm on a Mac which I tried to correct them that it is iMovie.

Will I need to/be able to use something like Visual Hub or preferably a freeware to convert the .avi files to DV for iMovie or will iMovie be able to import and convert them as it does quicktime clips. I doubt that I can import directly from the card in iMovie as if it was a camcorder but am supposing I can drag and drop the files off the card.

Anyone have any experience with this, possibly even their cameras. I know the ATC-1000 was supposedly not Mac compatible and was only 15fps 640x480 whereas the new ATC-2000 is and does 30fps 640x480.

NTJetboater

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
Yellowknife
avi's

I have a few helmet cams and yes Imovie will import avi's no problem. But I use minidv not the sd cards. I have captured a ton of avi's on a pc then transferred them to mac with no issues.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I'm looking at getting a Oregon Scientific ATC-2K Helmet Cam which records/stores .avi files on SD cards. According to their site they are M-JPEG - motion jpegs, but I contacted tech support and they said it outputs .avi files. They also said it works with iFilm on a Mac which I tried to correct them that it is iMovie.

Will I need to/be able to use something like Visual Hub or preferably a freeware to convert the .avi files to DV for iMovie or will iMovie be able to import and convert them as it does quicktime clips. I doubt that I can import directly from the card in iMovie as if it was a camcorder but am supposing I can drag and drop the files off the card.

Anyone have any experience with this, possibly even their cameras. I know the ATC-1000 was supposedly not Mac compatible and was only 15fps 640x480 whereas the new ATC-2000 is and does 30fps 640x480.

I've had to convert some troublesome .avi files to MPEG4 in the past, to work in iMovie etc, using:-

http://www.isquint.org/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.