PDA

View Full Version : Where do I hook up my wireless router?

captan
Dec 5, 2006, 07:26 AM
I allways get confused when people explain their setups so I figured it would be easier for you to answer my question if I drew a picture (animated gif):

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2469/wirelessrouteroo2.gif

Alternative one and two doesn't require a router with a built in switch so I guess those are cheaper. If the router has a built in switch I guess alternative #4 is the most elegant but then I'd have a left over switch.

So my question is twofold:

1. does it matter where you hook up the router? (as in should I strive to place the router as close to the center of my home (as in example 1 and 3 above) or is it best to strive for as few components as possible)

2. Which wireless router (with or withouth switch) do you recommend for this PC + old Mac + new Mac + Wii setup?

(the IP-phone thingy is not a modem btw - don't know what to call it)

aristobrat
Dec 5, 2006, 08:04 AM
Most setups I've seen go something like this:

Socket in Wall > Modem > Router > (everything else)

Where is your modem currently, and what's currently acting as the router, or are you in a dorm or something where you don't have to worry about those?

Markleshark
Dec 5, 2006, 08:06 AM
Don't buy a Wireless Router.

Buy a Wireless Access Point, plug it into your switch and there you go, wirelessness.

captan
Dec 5, 2006, 08:28 AM
Most setups I've seen go something like this:

Socket in Wall > Modem > Router > (everything else)

Where is your modem currently, and what's currently acting as the router, or are you in a dorm or something where you don't have to worry about those?

I got "fiber to the home" as they call it (and it's not a dorm - it's an apartment building) - the socket is just a regular RJ45 which you could just plug straight to the computer and it delivers 10Mbit or 100Mbit (both up/down) (depending on what you pay for). So no modem neccesary here.

Don't buy a Wireless Router.

Buy a Wireless Access Point, plug it into your switch and there you go, wirelessness.

oh, thanks, I thought those were the same thing...

dalvin200
Dec 5, 2006, 08:34 AM
my wireless routers/access point (linksys wrt54g) is hooked up as:

socket in the wall -> cable modem -> router -> imac

my macbook is mostly connected wirelessly, unless i want to transfer large files in which case, i just use another ethernet connection to the router for faster transfer speeds

all other peripherals connect wirelessly (phone, ds lite and soon, the wii!!!)

aristobrat
Dec 5, 2006, 08:41 AM
I got "fiber to the home" as they call it (and it's not a dorm - it's an apartment building) - the socket is just a regular RJ45 which you could just plug straight to the computer and it delivers 10Mbit or 100Mbit (both up/down) (depending on what you pay for). So no modem neccesary here.
Gotcha.

Adding a router to this already-routed situation would make things hairy. I'd definitely go with Markleshark's suggestion. ;)