Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Analysts are continuing to weigh in on the circulating rumors about Apple.

Prudential's Jesse Tortora (via Seekingalpha) claimed today that the production ramp has already begun on one of the upcoming Apple phones and should be available for sale late in the 1st Quarter of 2007. The smartphone model, however, is not expected until the 3rd quarter of 2007.

According to the report, Tortora also expects Apple to produce the long rumored wide-screen iPod with target release in late 1st Quarter or early 2nd Quarter.

Finally, Tortora makes an interesting suggestion that "Apple may have interest in entering the video game market longer-term" after claiming that there is new evidence that Apple has hired video game designers.

PiperJaffray's Gene Munster (via Appleinsider) offers his analysis of circulating rumors providing a ranking of likelyhood of rumors for the upcoming Macworld San Francisco and beyond. In order of most likely to least, the rumors include: iPhone (10/10), iTV (10/10), Candy Bar form-factor to iPhone (9/10), Wireless Touch-Screen iPod (7/10), keyboarded iPhone (7/10), 4GB/8GB models (6/10), 12" Ultraportable MacBook Pro (4/10), Mac OS X 10.5 release at Macworld (3/10) and iChat Mobile Video/IM on iPhone (2/10).

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
no matter the rumors. this will be alot of fun to have.

i am hoping for a smart PDA version with a nice camera.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
good news about the cell phone, but nothing we don't already know.
Not sure how I feel about them entering the video game market... should have partnered with Nintendo, I love the Wii.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I really don't think Apple has a place in the video game market. Sure, they might be able to, but Microsoft is leading the way. Even Rockstar's new priority is 360, not PS3, so the next GTA will either be both or Xbox only. Also, no matter how good a console is, it's the games that count. Consider that Xbox got Halo, Gears of War and many of the best shooters, plus other of the best in their class like PGR etc.

Apple would really have to pwn to win the gaming market. Also, I'm gonna buy an iPhone. Screw a smartphone.:D

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005

Analysts are continuing to weigh in on the circulating rumors about Apple.

Prudential's Jesse Tortora (via Seekingalpha) claimed today that the production ramp has already begun on one of the upcoming Apple phones and should be available for sale late in the 1st Quarter of 2007. The smartphone model, however, is not expected until the 3rd quarter of 2007.

I am most excited about the smartphone. I bet the smartphone will incorporate nVidia's video chip that is due around that time. But who knows...

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Hmmm... well it's always nice to hear about the iPhone.

How sweet would it be if Slingbox came out with slingbox mobile for the iPhone? (Ohhh man, lets not get ahead of ourselves... we know how long it took for a regular mac os x version...)

As for video games, that's interesting. I'm not sure if it's a market Apple wants to get into. If they do it, it needs to be as powerful as, if not morepowerful of a system than Xbox 360 and PS3... The integration though, will probably be awesome.

Jwalker9

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006
PS3 and Apple??

Remember that photo that surfaced on the Sony website prior to the PS3 release that had the apple in smoke on the front of the machine? I know they took it off and claimed it to be a mistake, but you never know. Is there any good reason for Sony and Apple to partner in the gaming industry? I wouldnt think so.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
... a ranking of likelyhood of rumors

Should be "likelihood". ;)

Also, I think a 3/10 is far too high for a release of Leopard in January - it should be 1/10. We will receive another Leopard preview at MWSF no doubt, but we will not see the finished product until spring. :cool:

Regardless, lots of great products on the horizon! 2007 should be a great year for Apple. :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
what??? this would be too great and oppertune time to release 10.5 and stick that last nail in windows coffin...

Of course it would be nice to see but if it isn't ready, it isn't ready - plain and simple. Apple should not rush an important product like a new OS to market at all costs simply to beat Vista to the punch. If they did this, 10.5 would be unstable and/or buggy and this would be extremely harmful to Apple's image - the release would be a disaster.

Apple will release 10.5 when it is ready, no sooner. :cool: If it is ready in January, well, that will be one hell of a surprise, as all signs point to spring and not any sooner. This is something Apple needs to do right and needs to take their time on, so I for one do not mind being patient. :cool:

Oh, and it's "opportune" and "Window's". :p :cool:

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
As much as I would love to have a iPhone I am getting sick of all these iPhone rumors they are getting just as bad as the PowerBook G5 and C2D MacBooks next week rumors!

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Also, I think a 3/10 is far too high for a release of Leopard in January - it should be 1/10.
Yeah, Leopard shipping by MWSF with new computers is a long shot. It's more probable Apple will release in the spring to maximize OS upgrade profits.

We will receive another Leopard preview at MWSF no doubt, but we will not see the finished product until spring. :cool:
Another 30 minute demo of Time Machine? Can't wait! :) Secret features better not disappoint.

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
negative?!?

who is voting this negative?

This can only be great news for Apple and its stock.
Regardless of whether or not, you wish to own the phone (I probably won't at this point) the release of a phone can only help Apple continue its rise in the marketplace.

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
PiperJaffray's Gene Munster (via Appleinsider) offers his analysis of circulating rumors providing a ranking of likelyhood of rumors for the upcoming Macworld San Francisco and beyond. In order of most likely to least, the rumors include: iPhone (10/10), iTV (10/10), Candy Bar form-factor to iPhone (9/10), Wireless Touch-Screen iPod (7/10), keyboarded iPhone (7/10), 4GB/8GB models (6/10), 12" Ultraportable MacBook Pro (4/10), Mac OS X 10.5 release at Macworld (3/10) and iChat Mobile Video/IM on iPhone (2/10).

With the fear of sounding like a complete moron here, are they stating that the likelihood of the rumors corresponds with the ratings below, or are they stating that the likelihood of the rumors coming true is what corresponds to the numbers? Maybe I've missed something completely, but I thought it was set in stone that Leopard would be released at MacWorld... and I'm not quite sure I believe that it's a 100% chance that the iPhone will be released (in any version) at MWSF... call me crazy.

If all this post is saying is that it's likely that there are going to be rumors, it's kind of a waste of our time... :/

Rocketman

macrumors 603
As much as I would love to have a iPhone I am getting sick of all these iPhone rumors they are getting just as bad as the PowerBook G5 and C2D MacBooks next week rumors!

The Powerbook G5 finally DID happen. It was called the MacBook Pro CD. Fifth generation Powerbook.

The MacBook C2D did happen. Just as soon as chips of sufficient quantity were already available for iMacs and MacBook Pros.

Now we see news from an investment analyst (not a rumor site) iPhone production is "ramping up". Presumably after it was already sampling for pre-release testing and approvals.

I wonder if Apple will release it BEFORE Christmas since they will use web word of mouth pointed to apple.com, and retail stores as their distribution methods anyway?

Rocketman

MrFirework

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Santa!

So is there a way for me to ask Santa for a raincheck on the whole Christmas-gift-giving thing?

Dear Santa,
I've been a good boy all year, so can you please wait until Steve Jobs unleashes the iPhone and then grab one for me and leave it in my living room whenever that might be? I'll leave milk, cookies and carrots for the reindeer out the night after the announcement. Thanks, Kris.

- MrFirework

What do you think, will that work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.