PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Ramp Up? Analysts Weigh In on Rumors

MacRumors
Dec 5, 2006, 09:50 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Analysts are continuing to weigh in on the circulating rumors about Apple.

Prudential's Jesse Tortora (http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/21773) (via Seekingalpha) claimed today that the production ramp has already begun on one of the upcoming Apple phones and should be available for sale late in the 1st Quarter of 2007. The smartphone model, however, is not expected until the 3rd quarter of 2007.

According to the report, Tortora also expects Apple to produce the long rumored wide-screen iPod with target release in late 1st Quarter or early 2nd Quarter.

Finally, Tortora makes an interesting suggestion that "Apple may have interest in entering the video game market longer-term" after claiming that there is new evidence that Apple has hired video game designers.

PiperJaffray's Gene Munster (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2280) (via Appleinsider) offers his analysis of circulating rumors providing a ranking of likelyhood of rumors for the upcoming Macworld San Francisco and beyond. In order of most likely to least, the rumors include: iPhone (10/10), iTV (10/10), Candy Bar form-factor to iPhone (9/10), Wireless Touch-Screen iPod (7/10), keyboarded iPhone (7/10), 4GB/8GB models (6/10), 12" Ultraportable MacBook Pro (4/10), Mac OS X 10.5 release at Macworld (3/10) and iChat Mobile Video/IM on iPhone (2/10).

mdntcallr
Dec 5, 2006, 09:52 AM
no matter the rumors. this will be alot of fun to have.

i am hoping for a smart PDA version with a nice camera.

mikemodena
Dec 5, 2006, 09:52 AM
Awesome.. can't wait for the iPhone!

LastZion
Dec 5, 2006, 09:53 AM
good news about the cell phone, but nothing we don't already know.
Not sure how I feel about them entering the video game market... should have partnered with Nintendo, I love the Wii.

longofest
Dec 5, 2006, 09:56 AM
Good to see Munster isn't putting much stock into the mobile video conferencing iPhone thing.

Josias
Dec 5, 2006, 09:56 AM
I really don't think Apple has a place in the video game market. Sure, they might be able to, but Microsoft is leading the way. Even Rockstar's new priority is 360, not PS3, so the next GTA will either be both or Xbox only. Also, no matter how good a console is, it's the games that count. Consider that Xbox got Halo, Gears of War and many of the best shooters, plus other of the best in their class like PGR etc.

Apple would really have to pwn to win the gaming market. Also, I'm gonna buy an iPhone. Screw a smartphone.:D

noelister
Dec 5, 2006, 09:58 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Prudential's Jesse Tortora (http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/21773) (via Seekingalpha) claimed today that the production ramp has already begun on one of the upcoming Apple phones and should be available for sale late in the 1st Quarter of 2007. The smartphone model, however, is not expected until the 3rd quarter of 2007.

I am most excited about the smartphone. I bet the smartphone will incorporate nVidia's video chip that is due around that time. But who knows...

sbrhwkp3
Hmmm... well it's always nice to hear about the iPhone.

How sweet would it be if Slingbox came out with slingbox mobile for the iPhone? (Ohhh man, lets not get ahead of ourselves... we know how long it took for a regular mac os x version...)

As for video games, that's interesting. I'm not sure if it's a market Apple wants to get into. If they do it, it needs to be as powerful as, if not morepowerful of a system than Xbox 360 and PS3... The integration though, will probably be awesome.

Jwalker9
Remember that photo that surfaced on the Sony website prior to the PS3 release that had the apple in smoke on the front of the machine? I know they took it off and claimed it to be a mistake, but you never know. Is there any good reason for Sony and Apple to partner in the gaming industry? I wouldnt think so.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 09:59 AM
... a ranking of likelyhood of rumors

Should be "likelihood". ;)

Also, I think a 3/10 is far too high for a release of Leopard in January - it should be 1/10. We will receive another Leopard preview at MWSF no doubt, but we will not see the finished product until spring. :cool:

Regardless, lots of great products on the horizon! 2007 should be a great year for Apple. :cool:

apachie2k
Dec 5, 2006, 10:03 AM
what??? this would be too great and oppertune time to release 10.5 and stick that last nail in windows coffin...

capoditutti
Dec 5, 2006, 10:04 AM
I'd have one in a heartbeat if they could shoe-horn one of these in :D

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=6886

yeah - how far we've come :) :) :)

tvguru
Dec 5, 2006, 10:07 AM
Great MWSF (10/10) :cool:

SRSound
Dec 5, 2006, 10:09 AM

that's incredible! but did everyone forget the 8-core Mac Pro??

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 10:09 AM
what??? this would be too great and oppertune time to release 10.5 and stick that last nail in windows coffin...

Of course it would be nice to see but if it isn't ready, it isn't ready - plain and simple. Apple should not rush an important product like a new OS to market at all costs simply to beat Vista to the punch. If they did this, 10.5 would be unstable and/or buggy and this would be extremely harmful to Apple's image - the release would be a disaster.

Apple will release 10.5 when it is ready, no sooner. :cool: If it is ready in January, well, that will be one hell of a surprise, as all signs point to spring and not any sooner. This is something Apple needs to do right and needs to take their time on, so I for one do not mind being patient. :cool:

Oh, and it's "opportune" and "Window's". :p :cool:

Spock
Dec 5, 2006, 10:10 AM
As much as I would love to have a iPhone I am getting sick of all these iPhone rumors they are getting just as bad as the PowerBook G5 and C2D MacBooks next week rumors!

spicyapple
Dec 5, 2006, 10:10 AM
Also, I think a 3/10 is far too high for a release of Leopard in January - it should be 1/10.
Yeah, Leopard shipping by MWSF with new computers is a long shot. It's more probable Apple will release in the spring to maximize OS upgrade profits.

We will receive another Leopard preview at MWSF no doubt, but we will not see the finished product until spring. :cool:Another 30 minute demo of Time Machine? Can't wait! :) Secret features better not disappoint.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 10:11 AM

Maybe not in the iPhone but definitely in the widescreen video iPod... :D

Play Ultimate
Dec 5, 2006, 10:12 AM
who is voting this negative?

This can only be great news for Apple and its stock.
Regardless of whether or not, you wish to own the phone (I probably won't at this point) the release of a phone can only help Apple continue its rise in the marketplace.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 10:13 AM
I can't wait to be treated to another 30 minute demo of Time Machine! :)

Oh, I'm sure Jobs will have something even more impressive to demo this time. ;)

twoodcc
Dec 5, 2006, 10:18 AM
Awesome.. can't wait for the iPhone!

my thoughts also.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 10:19 AM
who is voting this negative?

Perhaps there are some "wishful thinkers" who would like some of the "longshot products" (such as 10.5 or the 12" MBP) to be released at MWSF and now realize that won't likely be the case. ;)

cloudnine
Dec 5, 2006, 10:20 AM
PiperJaffray's Gene Munster (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2280) (via Appleinsider) offers his analysis of circulating rumors providing a ranking of likelyhood of rumors for the upcoming Macworld San Francisco and beyond. In order of most likely to least, the rumors include: iPhone (10/10), iTV (10/10), Candy Bar form-factor to iPhone (9/10), Wireless Touch-Screen iPod (7/10), keyboarded iPhone (7/10), 4GB/8GB models (6/10), 12" Ultraportable MacBook Pro (4/10), Mac OS X 10.5 release at Macworld (3/10) and iChat Mobile Video/IM on iPhone (2/10).

With the fear of sounding like a complete moron here, are they stating that the likelihood of the rumors corresponds with the ratings below, or are they stating that the likelihood of the rumors coming true is what corresponds to the numbers? Maybe I've missed something completely, but I thought it was set in stone that Leopard would be released at MacWorld... and I'm not quite sure I believe that it's a 100% chance that the iPhone will be released (in any version) at MWSF... call me crazy.

If all this post is saying is that it's likely that there are going to be rumors, it's kind of a waste of our time... :/

Rocketman
Dec 5, 2006, 10:21 AM
As much as I would love to have a iPhone I am getting sick of all these iPhone rumors they are getting just as bad as the PowerBook G5 and C2D MacBooks next week rumors!

The Powerbook G5 finally DID happen. It was called the MacBook Pro CD. Fifth generation Powerbook.

The MacBook C2D did happen. Just as soon as chips of sufficient quantity were already available for iMacs and MacBook Pros.

Now we see news from an investment analyst (not a rumor site) iPhone production is "ramping up". Presumably after it was already sampling for pre-release testing and approvals.

I wonder if Apple will release it BEFORE Christmas since they will use web word of mouth pointed to apple.com, and retail stores as their distribution methods anyway?

Rocketman

MrFirework
Dec 5, 2006, 10:21 AM
So is there a way for me to ask Santa for a raincheck on the whole Christmas-gift-giving thing?

Dear Santa,
I've been a good boy all year, so can you please wait until Steve Jobs unleashes the iPhone and then grab one for me and leave it in my living room whenever that might be? I'll leave milk, cookies and carrots for the reindeer out the night after the announcement. Thanks, Kris.

- MrFirework

What do you think, will that work?

QCassidy352
Dec 5, 2006, 10:22 AM
I think I'm looking forward to MWSF more than Christmas! ;)

sartinsauce
Dec 5, 2006, 10:23 AM

A-Maz-Ing!

Yeah, 8-core Mac Pros at MWSF, iTV too. Maybe C2D Minis. More movie partners. Leopard Preview. Es todo. No iPhone or widescreen iPod.

Nutter
Dec 5, 2006, 10:23 AM
If Apple were planning to release Leopard at MWSF it would have gone gold master by now, and news of that would almost certainly have leaked.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 10:24 AM
The Powerbook G5 finally DID happen. It was called the MacBook Pro CD. Fifth generation Powerbook.

No it's didn't. A PowerBook with a 970-series (i.e G5) microprocessor was never released. Intel and PowerPC chip architectures are completely different beasts. :p :cool:

tonyvz
Dec 5, 2006, 10:25 AM
I predict (10/10) that MacWorld Expo will happen on January 9th, 2007 and end on January 12th.

I also think it will start with a keynote from Steve Jobs at 9:00am at the Moscone Centre in Sanfrancisco, California.

Everything else is just a rumor.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 10:26 AM

Yeah, I know the feeling! Luckily my birthday is always around the time of MWSF so I can still revel in Christmas on its own and then focus on MWSF for my birthday instead. ;) :D

jmbear
Dec 5, 2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah, yeah, whatever, we keep waiting for this phone and it doesn´t come out. I am really happy with my Nextel BlackBerry, so I really hope Apple gives me a reason to switch.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 10:34 AM
If Apple were planning to release Leopard at MWSF it would have gone gold master by now, and news of that would almost certainly have leaked.

Precisely. Leopard will not be released until the spring, mark my words. I think we will see another preview of it and possibly Jobs will announce a formal release date, but nothing more. :cool:

I predict (10/10) that MacWorld Expo will happen on January 9th, 2007 and end on January 12th.

I also think it will start with a keynote from Steve Jobs at 9:00am at the Moscone Centre in Sanfrancisco, California.

You're wrong! Steve Jobs' keynote will be in San Francisco, not Sanfrancisco! :p :D

vi2867
Dec 5, 2006, 10:37 AM
I just can't wait to see what is to come on MWSF '07...

I feel there will be something great!

There are 4 possibilities iPhone, Touchscreen iPod, iTV, and Leopard. I think we will get 2 out of 4. I am hearing that it will be the iPhone and iTV.

The iPhone may have 2 batteries one for the phone usauge and one for the media usuage, which sounds like a great idea to me. I still think that the reason the Touchsreen iPod was never released was due to the screen issue and battery issue.

35 days to go...this is better than counting down to Christmas...

lmalave
Dec 5, 2006, 10:46 AM
No PDA iPhone 'til 3Q 2007 would be a major downer. I've been putting off upgrading my phone (have been eligible since September) to see what Apple is going to offer. If the only thing available in 1Q 2007 is a simple iPod nand / phone hybrid, I'd have to thing long and hard to get the iPhone over something like the Samsung Blackjack which is more like what I'm looking for.

jholzner
Dec 5, 2006, 10:47 AM

Actually, it's Windows' or Windows's since the product is called Windows and now Window.

sivancotel
Dec 5, 2006, 10:48 AM
just read the report on appleinsider.com, it looks like he said 10/10 that the iPhone would be released to manufacturing in the next 2 to 6 months, not that it will be announced at MWSF.

boo.

theheadguy
Dec 5, 2006, 10:48 AM
i know that arn has clarified, in regards to an entirely different article, what a certain person meant when they were referring to quarters (i.e. Q1 of 07).

that being said, in this article, an analyst from prudential which deals entirely in FINANCIAL quarters in all aspects of their job, doesn't specify if this is calendar or financial quarters... any clarification on this?

jholzner
Dec 5, 2006, 10:50 AM
With the fear of sounding like a complete moron here, are they stating that the likelihood of the rumors corresponds with the ratings below, or are they stating that the likelihood of the rumors coming true is what corresponds to the numbers? Maybe I've missed something completely, but I thought it was set in stone that Leopard would be released at MacWorld... and I'm not quite sure I believe that it's a 100% chance that the iPhone will be released (in any version) at MWSF... call me crazy.

If all this post is saying is that it's likely that there are going to be rumors, it's kind of a waste of our time... :/

I think he's just guessing. However, Leopard was never to be released at MW. Apple has been saying Spring 07 since WWDC.

ipedro
Dec 5, 2006, 10:50 AM
So is there a way for me to ask Santa for a raincheck on the whole Christmas-gift-giving thing?

Dear Santa,
I've been a good boy all year, so can you please wait until Steve Jobs unleashes the iPhone and then grab one for me and leave it in my living room whenever that might be? I'll leave milk, cookies and carrots for the reindeer out the night after the announcement. Thanks, Kris.

- MrFirework

Ask Santa for a raincheck? Yup, it's called an Apple Gift Card. :D

TheBobcat
Dec 5, 2006, 10:51 AM
I bet Apple's hiring of game developers would probably mean more for the Mac Platform for games. Apple could really improve its standing in the PC gaming industry, and with boot camp, they really could capture a lot of casual PC gamers. I don't think they would get the really hardcore ones as most of them build their own machines.

Good to see the iPhone is probably going to happen. They better say something at MWSF, if not release it.

cloudnine
Dec 5, 2006, 11:05 AM
Actually, it's Windows' or Windows's since the product is called Windows and now Window.

And you meant to write "not" instead of "now"... bitchy response gets a bitchy response :D

No PDA iPhone 'til 3Q 2007 would be a major downer. I've been putting off upgrading my phone (have been eligible since September) to see what Apple is going to offer. If the only thing available in 1Q 2007 is a simple iPod nand / phone hybrid, I'd have to thing long and hard to get the iPhone over something like the Samsung Blackjack which is more like what I'm looking for.

So something that would sync flawlessly with your mac and would have a 4gb hard drive and blah blah blah whatever all the other rumors is something you'd have to think about over a clunky windows mobile phone that isn't all that attractive?

Hrm... are you on the right forum? :p :rolleyes:

MOFS
Dec 5, 2006, 11:11 AM
I really don't think Apple has a place in the video game market. Sure, they might be able to, but Microsoft is leading the way. Even Rockstar's new priority is 360, not PS3, so the next GTA will either be both or Xbox only. Also, no matter how good a console is, it's the games that count. Consider that Xbox got Halo, Gears of War and many of the best shooters, plus other of the best in their class like PGR etc.

Apple would really have to pwn to win the gaming market. Also, I'm gonna buy an iPhone. Screw a smartphone.:D

Is "video games" not just used as an synonym for "computer games" anymore? I'm wondering whether they'll do a Microsoft and get some first party games on the Mac itself.

cloudnine
Dec 5, 2006, 11:12 AM
I think he's just guessing. However, Leopard was never to be released at MW. Apple has been saying Spring 07 since WWDC.

Weird... I don't know why I was under the impression that it was supposed to be MWSF... oh, well.

vendettabass
Dec 5, 2006, 11:16 AM
its Macworld right, so there must be something 'mac'!

wkhahn
Dec 5, 2006, 11:20 AM

If you're going to put a HDD in the iTV, why not this one? Plenty of space to buffer a stream from your computer and work as a PVR. On the PVR side, don't allow transfer up to the computer for "permanent" storage. To keep forever/own, you still need to buy from the ITS.

hazmat
Dec 5, 2006, 11:22 AM

No, please. No mechanical parts in a cell phone. It's bad enough in an iPod. I am super gentle with my iPod, and my second one's hard drive just died after less than two years. No way in hell I'll ever buy another hard drive-based iPod.

ChrisA
Dec 5, 2006, 11:23 AM
Of course it would be nice to see but if it isn't ready, it isn't ready - plain and simple. Apple should not rush an important product like a new OS to market at all costs simply to beat Vista to the punch. If they did this, 10.5 would be unstable and/or buggy and this would be extremely harmful to Apple's image

It would not have to be "unstable and/or buggy". I deal with software releases all the time. Will have a long list of features in the pipeline and we have to decide where to draw the line. For example the next thing I relaes will be called "1.9" but if the boss wants a 1.9 release next week he gets a short list of features if he can wait another moth he gets more. I always maintain a stable build that works. This build is always available for release on short notice. I assume Apple works the same way.

The question is do they NEED the features. It would be a disaster if Loepard was not differnt enough from Tiger. No one would buy it not for the $125 price.

My guess is that leopard will have some completely new features that no one has now. Not just a cleaned up Finder and other tweeks. My gues id for full multi-media messaging integration. The Phone, email and chat will be treated as one thing. Voise mail and email are just two way to send the same data. I will be able to use iChat and the built in mic on the macbook to call a phone or I could send an audio file via email. iPhone users can get their voice mail via email'd AAC attachments or hear thweir emailed texxt message read aloud over the phone -- integraded messaging is got to be one of the "supper secret" loepard features

This si the only way Apple can beat Microsoft exchange, make something that is SO MUCh better that people will buy macs just to get it.

pyramid6
Dec 5, 2006, 11:23 AM

Truer words have never been spoken.

What about the tablet and the "True" video ipod? Also, will Adobe and Microsoft be there? Photoshop CS3, and a universal binary Office would be nice.

gkarris
Dec 5, 2006, 11:26 AM
At this point all it means is a "game" using a "screen"....

Apple tried before with a Pippin (I happen to have one). The games on it were LAME and didn't compare to Sega Saturn or 3DO or Playstation...

It will just mean more iPod games, maybe playable on an iTV and iPhone. Maybe playable through iTunes as well?

The Mac gaming will be still up to third parties...

Apple will be like Tivo when it comes to games. My Tivo Series 2 has a few puzzle games on it....

pyramid6
Dec 5, 2006, 11:26 AM
Sorry to double post.

I forgot about the rumored spreadsheet program for iWork. That may be better than Intel Office.

Nym
Dec 5, 2006, 11:28 AM
Dear Santa,

- MrFirework

Now that was funny :)

And Shard... why are you always correcting people? Just curious :)
Anyway, countdown to MWSF!! Whooo! It will be better than Christmas, without a doubt!
And that Toshiba 100GB HD is ****in unbelievable, one day we'll have one of those inside our brains, connect with .Mac and IM only by thought, eheh.

PS - A quick question, any of you know what was the best selling game console ever?

spicyapple
Dec 5, 2006, 11:36 AM
Now that was funny :)I'll have to try that, too. :)

And Shard... why are you always correcting people? Just curious :)
He's being a Bastard (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2722055&postcount=6). A proud one (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2892413&postcount=189), at that.

@quick question, I believe it was the SNES console? I had one, so did all my friends.

IEatApples
Dec 5, 2006, 11:38 AM
What is expected in terms of "normal" upgrades?
(Like: iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook, Mini & MacBook Pro).

Object-X
Dec 5, 2006, 11:38 AM
Apple should buy Nintendo, or at least try to partner with them. Games on the iPod aren't much better than playing them on your phone. I wouldn't exactly characterize Apple hiring game developers to make these types of games entering the gaming market.

Apple buying Nintendo would be Apple entering the gaming market. Add iTV functionality to the Wii, give it HD (which it will get eventually), and add Nintendo games to the Mac platform allowing online play between the console and Mac, much like the Xbox 360 and PC.

They wouldn't have to change Nintendo branding and it would elevate Nintendo's mind share considerably and give Apple another powerful incentive to encourage Mac purchases from happy Wii owners; and it looks like there will be a lot of those.

I have my firesuit on. :)

sivancotel
Dec 5, 2006, 11:39 AM
i know that arn has clarified, in regards to an entirely different article, what a certain person meant when they were referring to quarters (i.e. Q1 of 07).

that being said, in this article, an analyst from prudential which deals entirely in FINANCIAL quarters in all aspects of their job, doesn't specify if this is calendar or financial quarters... any clarification on this?

even financial analysts use both fiscal years and calendar years. the difference is based on when each individual company starts and ends its year. Apple's fiscal year begins October 1st, which means every fiscal quarter for apple is exactly one quarter off from the calendar quarter. So for Apple, 3Q FY07 = 2Q CY07 (in words: 3rd quarter fiscal year '07 is the same as 2nd quarter calendar year '07).

As to which one the analysts were referring to, the best I can find on free financial websites is this from marketwatch.com:

"In a research note, W.R. Hambrecht analyst Daniel Amir said channel checks suggest Apple will be launching an iPod-like phone, commonly called the iPhone, at the MacWorld show. Gene Munster, of Piper Jaffray, said reports from Taiwan-based manufacturers indicate Apple is ramping up to produce as many as 12 million iPhones during the first half of 2007."

That blurb is pretty ambiguous. I think this is probably referring to calendar year 07, especially since we're already 2 months into apple's fiscal year 07.

iJawn108
Dec 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
My freinds GF who works for rogers (who is also not technologically inclined) told me they are getting an apple phone, two different ones.

I believe it will be out soon and I will be buying it.:D

Clive At Five
Dec 5, 2006, 11:53 AM
No, please. No mechanical parts in a cell phone. It's bad enough in an iPod. I am super gentle with my iPod, and my second one's hard drive just died after less than two years. No way in hell I'll ever buy another hard drive-based iPod.

I'm in the same boat as you... VERY gentle with my iPod... unfortunately, though, I take it everywhere so it's bound to feel every bump I do. Thanks to AppleCare and understanding Apple Store employees, I'm on my 4th iPod (3rd "freebee").

YET, It would be nice to carry my whole library... it's not gargantuan like some people here who have 200GB of music... but it's larger than 8GB. And I do tend to cycle through and listen to "everything." I'd sacrifice size for a PhonePod that could hold all my music, yet have a dependable HDD.

...but it won't happen.

-Clive

bjdku
Dec 5, 2006, 11:55 AM
Munster (as reported by Appleinsider):

"Also likely, though with a slightly lower ranking of 6 out of 10, are rumblings that the iPhone will be available in 4GB and 8GB configurations, bundle an iSight camera, and work on multiple wireless carriers.'

"Unlikely rumors, which Munster calls "a stretch," include an ultra-portable 12-inch MacBook Pro (4 out of 10), radio-transparent material used for iPhone casing (3 out of 10), iPhone to feature "iChat Mobile" video and instant messaging (2 out of 10)..."

I find it interesting that Munster rated an iPhone with a iSight as a 6 out of 10, and the possibility that the iPhone will feature "iChat Mobile" as a 2 out of 10. Those are contradictary rankings if you ask me....I think it demonstrates how arbitrary these rankings from Munster are.

pimentoLoaf
Dec 5, 2006, 11:56 AM
And should Apple release ALL :eek: items predicted, might their stock google up around $250 a share?

jobberwacky
Dec 5, 2006, 11:56 AM

The linked article talks about a 100GB 1.8 inch HDD - and shows the picture below.

Uhm, 1.8 inches? Maybe one fifth of what the chief developer always thought was 9 inches... Either that or I'm pretty sure I don't want to shake hands with the guy on the pic.

MattyMac
Dec 5, 2006, 11:59 AM
This news is music to my ears.

I CANNOT WAIT!

jholzner
Dec 5, 2006, 12:00 PM

What about the tablet and the "True" video ipod? Also, will Adobe and Microsoft be there? Photoshop CS3, and a universal binary Office would be nice.

Well, MS has already said that the UB of Office won't be out until Q3 2007. And that's Cal. quarter and not fiscal.

darwen
Dec 5, 2006, 12:03 PM
Sure, it sounds good because they are telling you what you want to hear. Think about it though, this announcement is really saying... "Great news! Apple will release everything you want in January!" I think that hurts its credibility.

Also, I think that 1-10 scale is a little off. Some of those items should be a little lower on the scale... like iChat Phone 0/10.

Eduardo1971
Dec 5, 2006, 12:07 PM

Prudential's Jesse Tortora (http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/21773)...
According to the report, Tortora also expects Apple to produce the long rumored wide-screen iPod with target release in late 1st Quarter or early 2nd Quarter...

This makes sense as rumours go that a new 100GB hard drive that is iPod-compatible will soon hit the market.:)

Cool. I'm hoping to finally buy an iPod once it hits the 100GB range (my music collection is already at 52+GB and thats not even half)!

Clive At Five
Dec 5, 2006, 12:15 PM
Why does everyone think the PhonePod will come in two flavors? Apple has always operated under the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid - and having two phone flavors doesn't seem like a simple product line-up to me.

What do people what out of the PhonePod? Well, I know I want something that will:
-1- make calls,
-2- sync with iCal
-3- sync with iPhoto
-4- sync with Address Book
-5- sync with iTunes
-6- Have an Alarm
-7- Have a Timer
-8- Run simple games
-9- Text Message/Note/Memo/Planner Functionality
-10- (optional) Take pictures

The current iPod does numbers 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, & quasi-9. It is already a very smart device... nearly a PDA, minus the touch sensitive input and random bells and whistles. I think that adding 1, 4, 9, & 10 will make 95% of the population very happy. I think this is what Apple will shoot for.

For people who need a full-fledged smartphone, buy a blackberry or a treo. For people who just want a simple phone syncronized with their Mac, buy a PhonePod.

*MAYBE* years down the road, the PhonePod's potential markets will diversify (like the iPod's did), and there will be a PhonePod Pro... but I do not forsee it in 2007. I would hedge my bets on late 2008 if anything.

-Clive

smitty97
Dec 5, 2006, 12:18 PM
Another 30 minute demo of Time Machine? Can't wait! :) Secret features better not disappoint.

Somehow, after Steve is done with the demo, only 5 minutes will have elapsed.

freeny
Dec 5, 2006, 12:22 PM
Me thinks that the hired game developers were most likely for the games on the ipod and not for anything else.

Squonk
Dec 5, 2006, 12:23 PM
If you're going to put a HDD in the iTV, why not this one? Plenty of space to buffer a stream from your computer and work as a PVR. On the PVR side, don't allow transfer up to the computer for "permanent" storage. To keep forever/own, you still need to buy from the ITS.

I doubt that tiny little drive would be put in the iTV as it is going to be expensive at release. There are much less expensive and small alternatives to be used, if required.

elguille
Dec 5, 2006, 12:24 PM
The linked article talks about a 100GB 1.8 inch HDD - and shows the picture below.

Uhm, 1.8 inches? Maybe one fifth of what the chief developer always thought was 9 inches... Either that or I'm pretty sure I don't want to shake hands with the guy on the pic.

that picture is actually for the 0.85 inch hard drive the 1.8 its a little bit bigger you can check the toshiba hard drive website

http://sdd.toshiba.com/

skochan
Dec 5, 2006, 12:32 PM
Me thinks that the hired game developers were most likely for the games on the ipod and not for anything else.

I agree. Plus let's not forget the full-screen video iPod. Could make for a great handheld gaming device. (Hmm, maybe with some added motion sensor technology like in the Wii....)

macmax77
Of course it would be nice to see but if it isn't ready, it isn't ready - plain and simple. Apple should not rush an important product like a new OS to market at all costs simply to beat Vista to the punch. If they did this, 10.5 would be unstable and/or buggy and this would be extremely harmful to Apple's image - the release would be a disaster.

Apple will release 10.5 when it is ready, no sooner. :cool: If it is ready in January, well, that will be one hell of a surprise, as all signs point to spring and not any sooner. This is something Apple needs to do right and needs to take their time on, so I for one do not mind being patient. :cool:

didn't Apple beat Vista 6 years ago????

Bobson
I got a chance to play around with the LG VX 8500 (aka "Chocolate") phone today, which bears a strong resemblance to the mockups on the wiki, and I really hope the real thing doesn't end up like the chocolate.

Offical webpage of the Chocolate (http://www.verizonwireless.com/chocolatebylg/)

The chocolate has some cool features, (including the mp3 player), but it's got four horrible design flaws which any similar phone would have to avoid.

The side buttons are hard to press if you don't know exactly where they are, including the END button.
The CLR button is too easy to press - in fact, it's a touch sensitive button. Many times I hit it by accident with the middle of my thumb while reaching for one of the directional buttons or the OK.
The difference between the touch-sensitive upper buttons and the normal lower buttons is very disconcerting. I kept lightly touching the number keys, and nothing was happening, since they have to be pressed, then I started pressing the touch keys, which wouldn't depress, and would occasionally press twice.
The key buttons were very inconveniently placed. They were far too far down the phone to be able to hold it comfortably (i.e. balanced) in one hand, and still press them with that thumb,

I'd love to see an iPhone, even one with the same kind of slider hiding the number keys, as long as it had better design than this phone did.

Chris Bangle
Dec 5, 2006, 12:34 PM
Will iTV work with CRT TV's or will it just work with LCD and Plasmas?

Clive At Five
Dec 5, 2006, 12:35 PM
I agree. Plus let's not forget the full-screen video iPod. Could make for a great handheld gaming device. (Hmm, maybe with some added motion sensor technology like in the Wii....)

yes... let's violently shake an object with a HDD...

;)

Not my first recommendation.

-Clive

kenzbud
Dec 5, 2006, 12:37 PM
I can't wait for MWSF. Whatever gets released I'm sure it won't dissapoint.

Clive At Five
Dec 5, 2006, 12:38 PM
Will iTV work with CRT TV's or will it just work with LCD and Plasmas?

It has RCA ports, so it'll work with anything with the same. It also has HDMI support, however, so it'll work even better with Hi-Def TVs

-Clive

macmax77
Dec 5, 2006, 12:39 PM
i can see it now

Steve:Hello
whomever:Hi Steve
Steve: Could you please call me back later, i am in the midle of the Keynote here, hehehehehe.

So folk, uhhhhhh, this is the new Apple Phone!!!!!

And the crowd goes wild!!!!!!!

I would go wild too if i could get another PowerPC chip instead of the Intel thing....

nawk
Dec 5, 2006, 12:41 PM

I would just like to point out that the photo does not match the drive they are describing -- very bad reporting. Look at the dimensions in the article -- that is NOT a picture of a 1.8" hard drive.

MrFirework
I got a chance to play around with the LG VX 8500 (aka "Chocolate") phone today, which bears a strong resemblance to the mockups...

I'm very much with you on this. When I first saw the Chocolate, I didn't know what it was and I remember thinking to myself, wow, that looks like the iPhone drawings/mockups. All I have to say is that if Apple's iPhone looks ANYTHING like something that's already out there it's BAD bad news for our beloved company.

Clive At Five
The chocolate has some cool features, (including the mp3 player), but it's got four horrible design flaws which any similar phone would have to avoid...

I think, in general, mixing touch-sensitive and pressure-sensitive buttons is a bad idea. Apple got lucky with the click-wheel... although it doesn't really have touch-sensitive "buttons" per se...

-Clive

heisetax
Dec 5, 2006, 12:45 PM

MS Office for the Mac will always come out later than the Windows MS Office. This is because MS needs time to see which features they want from the Windows version to appear in the Mac version. Then they have to decide how well they want these things to work cross platform. Actually MS says this later Mac release is to ensure that the Mac version is compatible with the Windows version. Whichever story you want to go by, they also say that it will take them 4, 6, 8 or maybe more months to ensure this.

If you remember, MS has not yet released MS Office for Windows. That means that the 4-8+ month waiting period has not yet started. They may have to change the name to Mac Office 2008 & have it introduced at MacWorld 2008.

Remember that Mac Office X was only a port from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS 10. With Rosetta working as good as it does with MS Office 2004, there is not the greatest need to bring out an iterim version. This will allow MS to come closer to meeting their 4-8+ month after Windows MS Office 2007 release. Just think how long we'd have to wait for a Mac Office release. Then it would be either Mac Office 2008 or even Mac Office 2009.

I'd rather only wait another year, not 2 years for the new Mac version of MS Office. There will be many changes in the new version if it is at all like the Windows version. Many of the things I do not like. Many of the things will just take time to get used to. The MS Office file format will be changing. That means that the Mac version will also have to be changing.

Just wait another year. Think, MacWorld 2008.

Clive At Five
Dec 5, 2006, 12:49 PM
I would go wild too if i could get another PowerPC chip instead of the Intel thing....

uhh..... why? The Intel Xeon quad-cores far outperform the G5 quad-cores, consume much less power, and universal bianaries of CS3 and Office 2007 will be out in a few months. Once that happens, there's very little reason to want a PPC... maybe if you wanted to find something to run OS 9 on, but you'll have to dive back into G4-land for that.

-Clive

macmax77
Dec 5, 2006, 12:51 PM
uhh..... why? The Intel Xeon quad-cores far outperform the G5 quad-cores, consume much less power, and universal bianaries of CS3 and Office 2007 will be out in a few months. Once that happens, there's very little reason to want a PPC... maybe if you wanted to find something to run OS 9 on, but you'll have to dive back into G4-land for that.

-Clive

I don't care, they made me fight for Apple since the 80's just to make me look stupid.

BoyBach
Dec 5, 2006, 12:54 PM
PS - A quick question, any of you know what was the best selling game console ever?

I think it was the Gameboy, followed by the PlayStation/PSone.

randyg
Dec 5, 2006, 01:42 PM
Again we see use of the word "smartphone", but from all indications this is simply going to be an ipod/phone. I wish the rumor mongers would stop refering to it as a smartphone, unless they are going to provide details to indicate that it really will be a smartphone, i.e: what the calendar will be like, address book, os it will use, etc.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2006, 02:11 PM
He's being a Bastard (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2722055&postcount=6). A proud one (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2892413&postcount=189), at that.

Thanks for clarifying that on my behalf spicyapple, it's very much appreciated. :D :cool:

didn't Apple beat Vista 6 years ago????

Haha nice one, you are indeed correct. :D

bwanac
Dec 5, 2006, 02:43 PM
I'm very much with you on this. When I first saw the Chocolate, I didn't know what it was and I remember thinking to myself, wow, that looks like the iPhone drawings/mockups. All I have to say is that if Apple's iPhone looks ANYTHING like something that's already out there it's BAD bad news for our beloved company.

There are many slider phones out there. Its just another style like a flip-phone.

Clive At Five
Dec 5, 2006, 03:20 PM
I don't care, they made me fight for Apple since the 80's just to make me look stupid.

No one *made* you look stupid. You chose Apple. We all looked stupid. No one else misses the PPC... unless you like running energy guzzling processors and adding to the depletion of our rarer and rarer fossil fuels...

...you barbarian.

-Clive

Goldfinger
Dec 5, 2006, 05:11 PM
Munster (as reported by Appleinsider):

"Also likely, though with a slightly lower ranking of 6 out of 10, are rumblings that the iPhone will be available in 4GB and 8GB configurations, bundle an iSight camera, and work on multiple wireless carriers.'

"Unlikely rumors, which Munster calls "a stretch," include an ultra-portable 12-inch MacBook Pro (4 out of 10), radio-transparent material used for iPhone casing (3 out of 10), iPhone to feature "iChat Mobile" video and instant messaging (2 out of 10)..."

I find it interesting that Munster rated an iPhone with a iSight as a 6 out of 10, and the possibility that the iPhone will feature "iChat Mobile" as a 2 out of 10. Those are contradictary rankings if you ask me....I think it demonstrates how arbitrary these rankings from Munster are.

Why are they contradictory ? The phone having a camera doesn't mean it also has to have video chat features and instant messaging...
Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not getting your logic here..

pyramid6
Dec 5, 2006, 06:48 PM
MS Office for the Mac will always come out later than the Windows MS Office. This is because MS needs time to see which features they want from the Windows version to appear in the Mac version. Then they have to decide how well they want these things to work cross platform. Actually MS says this later Mac release is to ensure that the Mac version is compatible with the Windows version. Whichever story you want to go by, they also say that it will take them 4, 6, 8 or maybe more months to ensure this.

If you remember, MS has not yet released MS Office for Windows. That means that the 4-8+ month waiting period has not yet started. They may have to change the name to Mac Office 2008 & have it introduced at MacWorld 2008.

Remember that Mac Office X was only a port from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS 10. With Rosetta working as good as it does with MS Office 2004, there is not the greatest need to bring out an iterim version. This will allow MS to come closer to meeting their 4-8+ month after Windows MS Office 2007 release. Just think how long we'd have to wait for a Mac Office release. Then it would be either Mac Office 2008 or even Mac Office 2009.

I'd rather only wait another year, not 2 years for the new Mac version of MS Office. There will be many changes in the new version if it is at all like the Windows version. Many of the things I do not like. Many of the things will just take time to get used to. The MS Office file format will be changing. That means that the Mac version will also have to be changing.

Just wait another year. Think, MacWorld 2008.

Wasn't the new MS Office just released with Vista? I wasn't aware there was a delay in porting. I guess I'll pin my hopes on iWork spreadsheet. I hate Rosetta. Yes it works, but it's slow and hogs memory.

The only two programs I use that aren't Universal are Photoshop CS2 and MS Office.

blashphemy
Dec 5, 2006, 07:20 PM
The probable MWSF keynote, in my opinion. EVERYTHING is pure 100% original speculation:

1) Hi everyone, thx for coming.
2) Release iLife '07, iWork '07. iWeb '07 supports more blogging services, podcasts, vodcasts straight to iTunes podcast directory, if not YouTube/Google Video. Compatible with new features of Leopard which have not been announced yet, and some other new features. iWork '07 includes a spreadsheet program.
3) Announce Leopard. Spills every detail, including being able to run Windows files natively if XP/Vista is installed via the final release of boot camp, which finally 100% supports Apple's Bluetooth keyboard. DX10 supported if Vista installed for future mac gfx cards that support DX10. everything runs natively , no virtual PC's to mess with ==> everything Windows related is on a separate Boot Camp partition ==> Leopard will be able to read and write to NTFS. Other Leopard top-secret features announced. Shipping April 1st.
4) "Now there REALLY isnt a reason to buy a windows computer anymore... except price. To help bridge the gap:"
5) mac minis get $100 price reduction, Macs and MacBooks get $150 reduction. MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro's get $250 reduction.
6) say something about iPod's competitors offering better features: "well, beat this:"
7) introducing vPod: Featuring a 3.5" widescreen. Touchscreen. Wide, oval, nearly flat Bluetooth heaphones that clip onto both sides of the vPod when not in use, simply unclip afterwards to use and slide smoothly but securely onto your ear. Wide oval design allows superior bass response. Headphones when clipped on help keep vPod from scratching etc. vPod has much improved brightness, contrast, 720x480 resolution. UI is improved, looks like Front Row. Bezel is touchable, allowing easier access to songs or other content than a big thumb and works in conjunction with touchscreen interface. iTunes now allows you to rip DVD's straight to vPod, iPod video. DVDs are never stored on PC and cannot be transferred from iPod to PC. Multiple drives = multiple DVDs burned without having to switch, just have 2 DVDs encode overnight or attach more via USB or internally to encode even more overnight. vPod comes in 60 GB or 100 GB, $399 and $449 respectively. Supports transferring music via Bluetooth, but USB is recommended. No WiFi. 60 GB: black or white, 100 GB: same silver used with MBP (i forget exactly what it is). Shipping Jan. 31.
8) One more thing...
9) Referred to iTV, well here it is: first of all, unlock AirPort Unlimited (802.11n) in recent products, then iTV: renamed to iCenter: center of multimedia universe. Built-in with configurable HDD up to 500 GB, base model is 80 GB. Works as a TiVo, also can access media content from PC. Access YouTube, Google Video from TV. Can even work as a backup hard drive for Time Machine. Support for HDMI, HDCP. Same Apple Universal remote. Starts at $149.
10) One more thing:
11) iPhone. Looks pretty much exactly like current nanos but with touch screen. UI, again, looks like Front Row: shift between photos, music, phone. touch top of screen at any time to go to phone, music pauses. keypad then substitues clickwheel. otherwise, pretty much the same as a nano. Available immediately from Apple, 2 GB version is $199 and 4 GB version is $249. Calling plans competitive: $80/mo unlimited, $40/mo 1000 minutes. All incoming is free. All text messages are free, helped by an onscreen keyboard that overlaps the chat window. Shipping immediately, but not available online and only available in the Apple stores near cities supported ==> not available in all areas, but Apple is extending its network.

I think thats about it. Some of those features are not gonna happen, just too complex for Apple, but a guy can dream, can't he? :P
Mac mini updates, Mac Pro 8-core updates to be silent updates soon after Leopard is released, say mid- to late-february.

Mac tablet reserved for MacWorld Paris 2007.

Thoughts?

SeaFox
Dec 5, 2006, 08:11 PM
PiperJaffray's Gene Munster (via Appleinsider) offers his analysis of circulating rumors providing a ranking of likelyhood of rumors for the upcoming Macworld San Francisco and beyond. In order of most likely to least, the rumors include: iPhone (10/10), iTV (10/10), Candy Bar form-factor to iPhone (9/10), Wireless Touch-Screen iPod (7/10), keyboarded iPhone (7/10), 4GB/8GB models (6/10), 12" Ultraportable MacBook Pro (4/10), Mac OS X 10.5 release at Macworld (3/10) and iChat Mobile Video/IM on iPhone (2/10).

Interesting he put so little faith in Leopard but so much in a Wireless Touchscreen iPod. I don't think the next iPod will be wireless. What capacity for the iPhone does he see? 4/8 GB makes perfect sense to me.

SeaFox
Dec 5, 2006, 08:15 PM

Dear Santa,

- MrFirework

Ask Santa for a raincheck? Yup, it's called an Apple Gift Card. Ask Santa for a raincheck? Yup, it's called an Apple Gift Card. :D

Yeah, don't make Santa drive all the way back to your house in mid-January to leave you an iPhone.

Donz0r
Dec 5, 2006, 10:10 PM
I don't know what everyone has against sliders, I think it's the most practical way to do an ipod/phone ( that is, until Apple surprises me with some new, unique idea)

Closed - iPod. Open - iPhone ... seems so simple...

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8832/iphoneab8.jpg

(I made this, in a very short amount of time, so cool the flames)

spicyapple
Dec 5, 2006, 10:21 PM
The probable MWSF keynote, in my opinion. EVERYTHING is pure 100% original speculation:

Thoughts?
That's actually a pretty good possible scenario for MWSF almost down to a tee.

The enhanced Windows-support and nano iPhone with FrontRow UI are great predictions. I don't think Apple will release a vPod at the same time as the iPhone. One thing, they will announce more movie studios signing up for the iTS and a shipping date for iTV. :)

Donz0r
Dec 5, 2006, 10:34 PM

Thoughts?

Eh, that's a little too much for one keynote. Thats what I WANT to happen, but I think it'll just be. iTV with more movie studios, iPhone( just because there's so many rumors lately, it has to be imminent), more leopard features maybe? no leopard, Maybe video iPod ( it makes sense if they release iTV and more movies, they'll say "One more thing, (while examining the graph with lines that connect mac, tv, and iPod. they'll zoom in on the ipod and be like, yadda yadda Video iPod). But i think iTV and iPhone.

e-coli
Dec 6, 2006, 12:16 AM
All I care about is that the phone has a good web browser on it. If it doesn't...well then that's just pure crap.