Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
A South Carolina mother has had her 12-year-old son arrested for opening his Christmas presents early.

The boy was taken into custody after his mother discovered he had entered his great-grandmother's house and taken presents from their hiding place.

The boy was handcuffed and taken to a local police station on petty larceny charges.

The boy's mother, Brandi Ervin, told the Associated Press news agency she had acted to teach her son a lesson.

"He's been going through life doing things... and getting away with it," she said.

He had repeatedly taken the present, a Nintendo video game console, from its hiding place in his great-grandmother's house.

Hyperactive

The boy, who has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, is already facing an expulsion hearing at his school for attempting to hit a police officer assigned to the school last month.

The boy's case will be presented to York County's Department of Juvenile Justice, which will decide what action to take.

Ms Ervin told the Associated Press she hoped the authorities could scare her son into behaving himself.

"It's not even about the Christmas present," she said.

"I'd rather call (the police) myself than someone else call for him doing something worse."

- BBC

To quote Rufus Wainwright: "Oh, what a world we live in."

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Wow. :eek: Having your son arrested for opening a Christmas present.:rolleyes: :D

***makes note to self to never open any Christmas presents early*** ;) :D

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
Poor kid to have parents like that...... :mad: They should have taken the gift back to the local store full stop. Buying a video game console for a hyperactive kid... just great :rolleyes: would have been better to buy him a football.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Actually, a wii might not be a bad idea for a kid like that -- with the new controllers, it can really give you a workout. That said, clearly there are some other issues in the family that need to be addressed.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
So the mother though that the police would scare the ADH out of him and he'd behave?:rolleyes:

Some great parenting skills there!!!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Actually, a wii might not be a bad idea for a kid like that -- with the new controllers, it can really give you a workout. That said, clearly there are some other issues in the family that need to be addressed.

I think chaining him to a treadmill might be a better idea. ;) :D :cool:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I thought the same thing, a video game console is probably not the best Christmas gift for that kid. :rolleyes:
No kidding!

What I want to know is...instead of arresting this kid to "teach him a lesson", why don't they have him on medication for ADHD? (There's no mention that he is.) I know a kid who's got it (though apparently not as bad), and the kid really annoys the **** out of everybody.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
The problem is that there is always a diagnosis for things now. Naughty = Attention Deficit etc etc.

I'm not sure I condone the waste of police time but I've dealt with attention deficit and I know how problematic it can be. The mother was probably at the end of her tether. What nobody understands or appreciates is that it isn't Attention Deficit that causes these problems, it's those very early childhood years that the kid was possibly neglected/allowed to do everything or the family broke up. And that IS the mothers fault.

Diagnosis in this case, is not the cure.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
These are the sorts of kids that I really enjoy working with.

I volunteer at a summer camp for kids aged 8-15, something I've been doing since I was 15 myself, which makes it.... 13 years now. Wow.

Looking back, I have found that the kids I have most enjoyed working with were the ones who were super-energetic, typically "hyperactive". I have worked with THREE different sets of ADD/hyperactive identical twins. And loved it!

The other staff think I'm nuts. These kids certainly drive a lot of people to the end of their rope. I suspect it was because I was diagnosed as ADHD hyperactive, when I was a kid, so I totally relate with these kids.

Typically this diagnosis means nothing more than "has a hard time sitting still and conforming in structured social settings". Often these kids are also denoted as gifted. So why should it come to anyone's surprise that when you have a bright, energetic child, he acts out when you tell him to sit down and shut up? Rather than provide a nurturing and challenging environment (at home AND at school) the easy solution is to shove a pill down the kid's throat and hope he conforms better.

I have also been heartbroken so many times at the kinds of environments these kids are growing up in. Single parent homes where the mother or father is constantly exasperated and angry. Constant harsh parenting, even verbal or emotional abuse. Stories like the above, though generally not to that extreme, are the norm.

Then these kids show up at an environment such as a summer camp and we provide them an opportunity to run around and to play. We provide learning experiences. I approach these kids with no preconceived notions, talk to them like they are real people, LISTEN to them like they are real people, provide rational discussion and logical explanations instead of "Because I said so, that's why!", and give them the attention that they want, that nobody else in their lives are giving them.

And then people say I'm good with kids. :rolleyes:

(oops, didn't mean to get on a soapbox.. :eek: )

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
"Because I said so, that's why!"

I agree with you to an extent, but the reality of the life that we have created for ourselves is that it's not feasible to let kids run around and be free all the time.

If we lived in the wild, living from cave to cave, and instead of worrying about the stock markets spent our time thinking "Jeez, that lion's getting close" then great - these kids would be fine. That isn't the case - and sadly isn't likely to become the case.

As you say, it's harsh when you're built to do something but are confined by the sociological rules placed upon you which after all are built to keep us all under control. But there is nothing we can do about it. We all have to conform to a modest standard. Even those who don't conform still do so because of these diagnoses and "treatments" for their "Condition".

Sometimes I wish i could live in a shack in the middle of nowhere governing my own life. I'd have to have a mac and broadband too of course!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with ADHD. It's just a label for a certain type of person who was "built differently" and can't behave in a way that our society has deemed "proper." Put me in an open field with everyone else, take away the rules, and I'm just as capable as anyone else, maybe even moreso because I think so many different thoughts at once. It's like brain multitasking. Add our society's rules in, and I'm at a disadvantage because I can't think "linearly" and follow steps and instructions.

So there's really no such thing as ADHD. There's only such a thing because people who think like me can't survive in a "linear" thinking world, and so we're different only in this world we've created. If ADHD people built this world, you'd be the ones labelled with a disorder.

notjustjay said:
Typically this diagnosis means nothing more than "has a hard time sitting still and conforming in structured social settings". Often these kids are also denoted as gifted. So why should it come to anyone's surprise that when you have a bright, energetic child, he acts out when you tell him to sit down and shut up? Rather than provide a nurturing and challenging environment (at home AND at school) the easy solution is to shove a pill down the kid's throat and hope he conforms better.
/signed

parenting = pills

I know that this is what a lot of people think, but since I still have ADHD as an adult, I don't really see why people get all worked up over these pills when they actually work for those who need it. I need it, and I wish I was diagnosed with it sooner because meds would have helped my parents A LOT when I was young. I don't like taking pills and probably would have resisted, but I can't imagine being a parent and raising a kid like me, and I don't think I acted out as often as other kids.

I suspect it was because I was diagnosed as ADHD hyperactive, when I was a kid, so I totally relate with these kids.

Do you have it now? If you actually did have it as a kid, you should still have it, or at least the ADD part. Most of the "hyperactivity" fades as you get older. Mine did by around age 24, I think. I'm 26 now.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
So the mother though that the police would scare the ADH out of him and he'd behave?:rolleyes:

Some great parenting skills there!!!

Apparently, this kid is actually a pretty big trouble maker. He has shoplifted, stolen money from his mom, been arrested for disorderly conduct, punched a police officer, and is facing expulsion from school (that is forever).

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/local/16165869.htm

So, this is an incident beyond having him arrested for having ADHD. I'm sure the mother and grandmother are beyond their last straw, and they are trying anything to save him at this point.

This kid will have robbed a store by 15 and killed someone by 20.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Why is the mom buying this kid a Wii if he is such a trouble maker?

That's like rewarding all of this bad behavior.

Am I the only one confused by this???

eyemacg5

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Derbyshire, England
I really wish my parents were this loving,

But seriously, what is the world coming to.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/local/16165869.htm said:
mother convinced Rock Hill police to arrest her 12-year-old son after he unwrapped a Christmas present early.

The boy's great-grandmother had specifically told him not to open his Nintendo Game Boy Advance, which she had wrapped and placed beneath the Christmas tree, according to a police report.

But on Sunday morning, she found the box of the popular handheld game console unwrapped and opened. When the boy's 27-year-old mother heard about the opened gift, she called police.

"He took it without permission. He wanted it. He just took it," said the 63-year-old great-grandmother.

If he is 12 and his Great Grandmother is 63.

that makes the average age of having a child 17 right? isn't that a bit young to have a child.

so his mother had him when she was 17, her mother had her when she was 17 and her mother had her when she was 17.

So maybe he just comes from a rough family?

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
If he is 12 and his Great Grandmother is 63.

that makes the average age of having a child 17 right? isn't that a bit young to have a child.

so his mother had him when she was 17, her mother had her when she was 17 and her mother had her when she was 17.

So maybe he just comes from a rough family?

I had a neighbor that had her first baby at 13, and it really did cause some problems (as one might expect), but then again there were no grandparents around to help her raise him (her older brother was the family's legal guardian). Still, I think the mother did the right thing by having her kid arrested; he has gotten in a lot trouble and hopefully this will help scare him straight.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The problem is that there is always a diagnosis for things now. Naughty = Attention Deficit etc etc.

Well... not really. Serious conduct violations (as it sounds like this kid has at school) are not ADHD symptoms. But kids with ADHD do have elevated levels of Conduct Disorder diagnosis / criteria.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Ha! We just opened a couple of Christmas presents from the parents last night. Good thing they live several thousand miles away, I guess.

Ssh! Don't tell them! :D

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Yeah, I'm not pissed the kid got arrested. Stealing your Christmas present from your great-grandmother and opening it early is worth it. Little punk.

Maybe not the best solution and in the long run it won't actually solve anything but at least it got his attention. I don't know how they're gonna set him straight. A person who has such strong issues is pretty screwed. He needed to be set straight long before now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.