PDA

View Full Version : Public Beta of Adobe Creative Suite 3?

MacRumors
Dec 10, 2006, 11:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2293) that Adobe is considering releasing a public beta of Creative Suite 3.0 as early as this month. This new version of Creative Suite would provide Universal Binary (Intel) support and be available to all current Creative Suite 2.0 license holders.

Creative Suite (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/) is Adobe's software bundle containing their professional design software, which includes Adobe Photoshop (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/index.html) and Illustrator (http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/index.html).

It's been long known (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/02/20060201190459.shtml) that the next version of Creative Suite would be the first version to provide native support for the new Intel-based Macs. While Apple has successfully transitioned the entire Mac line over to Intel processors in 2006, it's thought that many professional users may be awaiting native versions of Adobe Creative Suite before upgrading to the newest Macs.

Adobe demoed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060918153507.shtml) Photoshop CS3 at Photoshop World in September.

Corran Horn
Dec 11, 2006, 12:03 AM
:D ah shucks... one more thing to add to my "if I had a mac" pile. (which is under my "if I had $$$$" pile :rolleyes: )

Time to waltz over and watch Apple stock go up...

twoodcc
Dec 11, 2006, 12:05 AM
well this could be good news for those still holding on to their PPC macs.

tvguru
Dec 11, 2006, 12:11 AM
well this could be good news for those still holding on to their PPC macs.

But even better news to those holding on to their intel macs ;)

w_parietti22
Dec 11, 2006, 12:13 AM
public beta means free right? I hope so. *fingers crossed*

Peel
Dec 11, 2006, 12:16 AM
But remember that the key word is BETA. I wouldn't use the CS3 software for any critical projects - meaning anything that pays the bills.

kainjow
Dec 11, 2006, 12:23 AM

Helps to read the article ;)

The beta would be available to all current Creative Suite 2.0 license holders in the form of a Universal Binary that would run natively on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs, those people say.

randyharris
Dec 11, 2006, 12:31 AM
This would not only make many Adobe CS users very happy, but it may also provide the incentive for many G5 users to upgrade to a new iMac, MacBook Pro, or MacPro.

Wahoo!

Shagrat
Dec 11, 2006, 12:31 AM

Lightroom Beta has been free, so I don't see why this shouldn't be too. Only available to registered users of CS2, if true would seem to be the only restriction.

But HEY! this IS only a rumour!

princealfie
Dec 11, 2006, 12:39 AM
This beta should be completely open to the public I hope.

Doctor Q
Dec 11, 2006, 12:43 AM
This beta should be completely open to the public I hope.Not quite. See kainjow's post above.

kenzbud
Dec 11, 2006, 12:48 AM
Have they announced (or any rumors floating around on) any new features for the program besides being universal?

zelman
Dec 11, 2006, 12:48 AM
time to scour eBay for a shiny pre-loved powermac g5

kenzbud
Dec 11, 2006, 12:50 AM
time to scour eBay for a shiny pre-loved powermac g5

I was thinking bout getting a new 15" Macbook Pro, but if it doesn't work with my budget I might have to part with my Powermac G5 :(

rendezvouscp
Dec 11, 2006, 12:50 AM
It's a shame that they won't be opening this to CS1 users, many of which I'm sure are interested in this upgrade.
-Chasen

Blue Velvet
Dec 11, 2006, 12:53 AM
It's a shame that they won't be opening this to CS1 users, many of which I'm sure are interested in this upgrade.

Exactly. I'm starting to get a little cheesed off with Adobe. I love them for providing the tools for me to do my job but they also annoy me in so many ways... this being yet another.

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 01:10 AM
Exactly. I'm starting to get a little cheesed off with Adobe. I love them for providing the tools for me to do my job but they also annoy me in so many ways... this being yet another.

There is always "Paint Shop Pro" or "Gimp" for people that don't like how Adobe operate. :rolleyes: :D

To be fair to Adobe, they really don't have to release beta testing to anyone, so I think it is hard to get annoyed when they limit it to only the CS2 crowd (not that this is to be taken for fact. of course. It is just a rumour).

I think they have been more than fair to users, Mac users especially, With this and Photoshop Lightroom being released for free beta testing.

bleachthru
Dec 11, 2006, 01:15 AM
-Chasen

I completly agree, Those of us who have waited through CS2 are more likey to upgrade to CS3 when it arrives, unless of course you are of the intel userbase. Seems Adobe is forgetting this demographic.

dornoforpyros
Dec 11, 2006, 01:15 AM
this is cool, hope it's true. As long as they put some kind of safe guard in place so that work your creating in CS3 will still be usable in CS2 after the beta expires then I say go with it :)

For the argument that you wouldn't trust critical work to a beta, remember that you can have multiple copies of photoshop installed on the same machine (EG CS1 and CS2 at the same time) so unless something goes horrible wrong you should be OK.

GFLPraxis
Dec 11, 2006, 01:18 AM
I wonder if they will offer betas of individual programs to owners of individual applicatons? For example, I own Photoshop, but not the entire Creative Suite.

Bern
Dec 11, 2006, 01:19 AM
So this gives them what another 6 months of screwing around before we can get something solid? If they do release a Beta it's probably just to keep the crowd banging at Adobe's door at bay for a while.

And to think when Steve announced the Intel Macs Adobe asked what took so long. :rolleyes:

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 01:23 AM
So this gives them what another 6 months of screwing around before we can get something solid? If they do release a Beta it's probably just to keep the crowd banging at Adobe's door at bay for a while.

And to think when Steve announced the Intel Macs Adobe asked what took so long. :rolleyes:

Do you really think it is about Adobe not being bothered to get this out, or sitting around drinking beers when they could be getting the release out?

This isn't a tiny little thing to do, it is a monster. They will get it out, just as soon as they can, I'm sure.

princealfie
Dec 11, 2006, 01:29 AM
Not quite. See kainjow's post above.

I know... however to offer Lightroom for free to everyone seems like a clock-tease while not allowing CS3 to everyone would be hard to get mac switchers. There are many who held off for the 3rd incarnation since is now universal.

Multimedia
Dec 11, 2006, 01:31 AM
What about those of us who skipped CS2 knowing CS3 would have the Native Intel Support? Seems not fair to those of us who chose to skip CS2 since CS1 does fine for me on the Quad G5. :(

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 01:33 AM
What about those of us who skipped CS2 knowing CS3 would have the Native Intel Support? Seems not fair to those of us who chose to skip CS2 since CS1 does fine for me on the Quad G5. :(

Did we know about the intel transition by then?

I guess Adobe feel that they should reward the loyal that upgraded to CS2.

superleccy
Dec 11, 2006, 01:33 AM
I hope they fix the main bug from CS2: misinterpreting the exchange rate when calculating the pricing for the UK market.

danvdr
Dec 11, 2006, 01:38 AM
Any idea how long after CS3 that a UB version of Photoshop elements will come out?

Reverend Wally
Dec 11, 2006, 01:40 AM
A cool move by Apple that would sell many mucho bunches of Macs would be to announce a day to give all Apple/Mac software away free to everyone who can prove they own a Mac :D

:rolleyes:

Well.....

I can dream....can't I...!

Multimedia
Dec 11, 2006, 01:58 AM
This would not only make many Adobe CS users very happy, but it may also provide the incentive for many G5 users to upgrade to a new iMac, MacBook Pro, or MacPro.

Wahoo!CS3 is not going to be non-PowerPC ready as well. It will ALSO be native Intel not Intel Only. Should work equally fast on Dual and Quad G5 PowerMacs as well. Of course the mobile Intel Macs will benefit most from CS3. And the 8 core Mac Pro will be killer. But I think the Quad G5's will hold their own with the Quad Mac Pros for the most part. I know the original Mac Pro will be faster. But I doubt the Quad G5 will be a dead duck yet.

Bern
Dec 11, 2006, 02:08 AM
Do you really think it is about Adobe not being bothered to get this out, or sitting around drinking beers when they could be getting the release out?

er.. no I don't think that.

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 02:23 AM
er.. no I don't think that.

Well why so impatient?

koobcamuk
Dec 11, 2006, 02:57 AM
I hope they fix the main bug from CS2: misinterpreting the exchange rate when calculating the pricing for the UK market.
Agreed! A hug bug!

dornoforpyros
Dec 11, 2006, 02:59 AM
Well why so impatient?

Given that it's been a year and a half (June 2005) since the intel announcement was made and almost 1 year (Jan 2006) since the first intel macs were shipped, you'd think we would have seen "something" by now besides a FAQs list telling us to wait for CS3.

Granted, Apple did make the switch about 6 months faster than the initial time line, it just seems that immediately after the first intel machines we're shipped Adobe washed it's hands of releasing anything in a timely manner by glossing over the UB issue with a press release.

Even if Adobe was caught off guard by the transition being completed in August of this year, you still think they would have been targeting for the original completion date of early 2007. It just seems that by now we should at least have a concrete release date other than "first half 2007". I mean are we talking June/July? A full 2 years after the initial announcement was made?

Abstract
Dec 11, 2006, 03:06 AM
I know... however to offer Lightroom for free to everyone seems like a clock-tease while not allowing CS3 to everyone would be hard to get mac switchers. There are many who held off for the 3rd incarnation since is now universal.

BS.

People who want PS CS3 will buy it. Saying that there 'should' be a CS3 beta since they released Lightroom as a beta is not a good way to think about it. Lightroom is completely new and under development. They get their ideas from beta-testers who offer suggestions on their forums all the time. With Photoshop, it's an established software program. They don't play by your rules on this one because they don't need to, hence no beta testing for people who didn't give them money for CS2.

If you hate Adobe now because you feel cheated and believe that you're entitled to a Beta version, limp over to Gimp.

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 03:14 AM
Given that it's been a year and a half (June 2005) since the intel announcement was made and almost 1 year (Jan 2006) since the first intel macs were shipped, you'd think we would have seen "something" by now besides a FAQs list telling us to wait for CS3.

Granted, Apple did make the switch about 6 months faster than the initial time line, it just seems that immediately after the first intel machines we're shipped Adobe washed it's hands of releasing anything in a timely manner by glossing over the UB issue with a press release.

Even if Adobe was caught off guard by the transition being completed in August of this year, you still think they would have been targeting for the original completion date of early 2007. It just seems that by now we should at least have a concrete release date other than "first half 2007". I mean are we talking June/July? A full 2 years after the initial announcement was made?

They have a product release schedule, and I am sure that they are thinking about that more than the needs of intel Mac users right now.

As much as we maybe want them to release it, it works on PPC and intel based Macs already. They are doing a massive job of releasing a major update AND making it a universal binary + testing etc.

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 03:15 AM
BS.

People who want PS CS3 will buy it. Saying that there 'should' be a CS3 beta since they released Lightroom as a beta is not a good way to think about it. Lightroom is completely new and under development. They get their ideas from beta-testers who offer suggestions on their forums all the time. With Photoshop, it's an established software program. They don't play by your rules on this one because they don't need to, hence no beta testing for people who didn't give them money for CS2.

If you hate Adobe now because you feel cheated and believe that you're entitled to a Beta version, limp over to Gimp.

Exactly how I feel.

Blue Velvet
Dec 11, 2006, 03:16 AM
As much as we maybe want them to release it, it works on PPC and intel based Macs already. They are doing a massive job of releasing a major update AND making it a universal binary + testing etc.

And making it completely Vista-compatible. That's as much to do with it as anything else...

bigandy
Dec 11, 2006, 04:33 AM

agreed. it's unfair how much we have to pay here. when CS3 comes out i'll hop on a flight to NYC, buy a MBP and CS3, and have a few days holiday. the total cost of the trip + equipment would be less than just buying it here, probably. :eek:

Bern
Dec 11, 2006, 04:42 AM
Well why so impatient?

Because I have work to do that doesn't need the inconvenience of sudden crashes (occasionally), fans whirring away at top speed and lagging software that doesn't perform at it's full potential. Rosetta doesn't cut it in all situations I'm afraid.

Adobe may not consider the UB version a rush because Intel users can still use CS2, but that's no thanks to Adobe or anything they have contributed to. Apple came up with Rosetta. At least Corel released an update to bring Painter up to speed with use with Rosetta until they have a UB version ready.

Adobe are dragging the chain. They couldn't even release the new After Effects as a UB version for goodness sake!

aafuss1
Dec 11, 2006, 04:58 AM
And making it completely Vista-compatible. That's as much to do with it as anything else...

At least Adobe is making its software Vista-compatible-unlike Apple

bob5820
Dec 11, 2006, 05:02 AM
At least Adobe is making its software Vista-compatible-unlike Apple
Why would Apple make their software Vista compatible?

aLoC
Dec 11, 2006, 05:08 AM
Why would Apple make their software Vista compatible?

iTunes and Quicktime.

kddpop
Dec 11, 2006, 06:33 AM
so much for one of dvorak's main argument for apple giving up on osX and shipping windows. sheesh what a doofus.

~kyle

Evangelion
Dec 11, 2006, 06:45 AM
Adobe could have released CS2 as an universal binary. But they didn't. I bet the reason for that is that by keeping CS2 PPC-only, and making CS3 in to UB, they can push more people in to upgrading. Even those who would be served just fine with CS2.

It all boils down to greed.

nsbio
Dec 11, 2006, 06:47 AM
Adobe could have released CS2 as an universal binary. But they didn't. I bet the reason for that is that by keeping CS2 PPC-only, and making CS3 in to UB, they can push more people in to upgrading. Even those who would be served just fine with CS2.

It all boils down to greed.

They have to make their boat/mansion payments somehow, and the best way to do it is to make YOU chip in :).

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 06:49 AM
Because I have work to do that doesn't need the inconvenience of sudden crashes (occasionally), fans whirring away at top speed and lagging software that doesn't perform at it's full potential. Rosetta doesn't cut it in all situations I'm afraid.

Adobe may not consider the UB version a rush because Intel users can still use CS2, but that's no thanks to Adobe or anything they have contributed to. Apple came up with Rosetta. At least Corel released an update to bring Painter up to speed with use with Rosetta until they have a UB version ready.

Adobe are dragging the chain. They couldn't even release the new After Effects as a UB version for goodness sake!

Then like so many of us, you should have gotten/stuck with a PPC based machine.

For non critical work, Rosetta cuts it just fine. I have used it on both PPC and Intel based Macs and never have crashes, then again I pack my machines with RAM, which is vital for non-native apps.

jellomizer
Dec 11, 2006, 07:05 AM
When it is released I hope you can get it as an upgrade from Photoshop 7.

Di9it8
Dec 11, 2006, 07:09 AM
Rather than do two big rewrites, Adobe are doing the UB and Vista changes at once.
That would seem to be a sensible strategy with their existing customer base, where will they take their custom to?
Regarding CS2 requirements for the beta, I am sure that CS1 customers will also be able to download, it is a rumour after all :D

mkwilson68
Dec 11, 2006, 07:22 AM
Anyone have any insight on Fireworks in CS3? This is a crucial app for us, and a big update would be music to our ears...

AidenShaw
Dec 11, 2006, 07:24 AM
Apple came up with Rosetta.
Actually, Apple bought Rosetta. It's the product called "QuickTransit", from Transitive Corporation.

http://www.transitive.com/products/pow_x86.htm
http://news.com.com/The+brains+behind+Apples+Rosetta+Transitive/2100-1016_3-5736190.html

http://www.transitive.com/assets/images/logobar.jpg

superleccy
Dec 11, 2006, 07:34 AM
That would seem to be a sensible strategy with their existing customer base, where will they take their custom to?
(Aside from the other arguments in this thread) this is exactly why I dislike Adobe. They've done what MS did with Office... killed the competition and then used their resulting position of power to exploit their customers.

SL

Applespider
Dec 11, 2006, 07:38 AM
iTunes and Quicktime.

As far as I'm aware the knowledge basis says that they're not yet supported but from reports elsewhere, it appears that they run as well under Vista as they do/did under XP (how well you consider that to be is another question)

lyzardking
Dec 11, 2006, 07:41 AM
iTunes and Quicktime.

will be updated next month for Vista along with the new iLife suite :)

Shrink wrap Vista isn't out for for the general public yet. ;)

dornoforpyros
Dec 11, 2006, 07:56 AM
They have a product release schedule, and I am sure that they are thinking about that more than the needs of intel Mac users right now.

I dunno, I still can't help but feel they snubbed their core user base a little bit. Granted it is possible that their core user base is windows users now (I'm too lazy to find data on this).

p0intblank
Dec 11, 2006, 07:59 AM
Please let this be true! I, like many other Mac users, have been waiting for CS3 for a long time. I'm still a PPC user, but a free beta wouldn't hurt. :)

failsafe1
Dec 11, 2006, 08:00 AM

Laughing as I picture angry villagers with pitch forks and torches.

freeny
Dec 11, 2006, 08:18 AM
Ill take the "speed bump with Beta risks" rather then the current "slooow speed with guarentted crashing if I use the pathfinder" any day;)

Di9it8
Dec 11, 2006, 08:36 AM
(Aside from the other arguments in this thread) this is exactly why I dislike Adobe. They've done what MS did with Office... killed the competition and then used their resulting position of power to exploit their customers.

SL

I am not condoning their position, on the other side how many CS1 & CS2 users actually have a fully legit copy?
I think that the delay in coming to the market with CS3 is probably due to sorting out Vista rather than UB.
It would be very interesting if they Beta CS3 as they have done with Lightroom, which has made big changes from the beta 1 version.:rolleyes:

sachamun
Dec 11, 2006, 08:38 AM
great news...
The main point of interest for me is whether or not they'll finally integrate macromedia's apps into the suite, especially flash.

Nym
Dec 11, 2006, 08:46 AM
If they come up with a CS3 Beta I'll be very happy until the final release. The thing is, I just can't work with Photoshop CS2 under Rosetta, it's always giving me strange errors and has abnormal behaviours all the time, I don't know if it's just my case but I downloaded the latest CS2 Trial from Adobe.com and it's very buggy in my 24" iMac, impossible to work with at all, even for web-based graphics (72 dpi's, small images).
When I need PS I just click the little Parallels icon and I work in Windoze :) seems to be the better answer at this point.. I can only dream of a beta coming really soon and it wouldn't be as good as the final CS3, but it would be enough for me right now, I really hate working in Windows :o

TheFuzz
Dec 11, 2006, 08:46 AM
Ill take the "speed bump with Beta risks" rather then the current "slooow speed with guarentted crashing if I use the pathfinder" any day;)

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc1d732/114

to fix it, try launching illy with the appearance palette hidden. you can then re-open the palette. it should work.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 11, 2006, 09:28 AM
Why would Apple make their software Vista compatible?iTunes and Quicktime.

they both work on RC2 of Vista...

Swarmlord
Dec 11, 2006, 09:31 AM

Yeah, count on it.

aLoC
Dec 11, 2006, 09:36 AM
Now ThinkSecret has picked up on this too. Seems like it's gonna happen folks...

iJawn108
Dec 11, 2006, 09:52 AM
I want my 2 gigs of ram and photoshop cs3 and i will be happy. :p

AidenShaw
Dec 11, 2006, 09:57 AM
they both work on RC2 of Vista...
Most XP apps simply work on Vista. Of the apps that need special versions for Vista, most of the time it's because they have a driver or kernel component that conflicts with some of the new security features in Vista.

There is no "Vista Version" of QuickTime - the standard kit runs on Vista. https://appleseed.apple.com/QTVistaSurvey/run/

Vista also has many new features and APIs, and programs will need to updated to exploit the new features - but that's very different from thinking that everything has to be re-purchased for Vista.

But, of course, many applications will come out with new "Vista" versions alongside the January release, and the ads will fail to mention that the old version will run same as before on Vista ;) (Just like the computer stores will advertise new "Vista ready" computers, and not mention that your old computer probably would do fine with just a memory upgrade!)

freeny
Dec 11, 2006, 10:15 AM
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc1d732/114

to fix it, try launching illy with the appearance palette hidden. you can then re-open the palette. it should work.

Thanks, will try at home later...

ChrisA
Dec 11, 2006, 10:17 AM
-Chasen

If you are a CS1 user then for $165 you can be a CS2 user. The upgrade is not that expensive I have an even earlier version of PS that I have not wanted to upgrade, waiting for the UB version to come out before I upgrade.

QCassidy352
Dec 11, 2006, 10:18 AM
I was about to buy CS 2... now this gives me pause. If Adobe is this close, maybe I shouldn't spend a lot on CS 2 now and then just have to upgrade in a few months. :-/

ChrisA
Dec 11, 2006, 11:10 AM
This is a beta release. The purpose of this is so that Adobe can get some feed back from people who would actually use CS3. They don't need to hand out a million copies if only a few thousand people will actually use it. So how best could they find a group of real users? It's hard but registered CS2 users is about as good of a group as I can think of.

If they open it up to everyone then they will see many downloads, lots of installation support issues and not much active use

Sdashiki
Dec 11, 2006, 11:15 AM
Do you think adobe will add Flash integration to its design titles:

Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign?

Why buy macromedia and not make the "Creative Suite" a FULL creative suite of tools?

kresh
Dec 11, 2006, 11:16 AM
Wahoo, maybe I can change my signature soon :)

Rocketman
Dec 11, 2006, 11:18 AM
Did we know about the intel transition by then?

I guess Adobe feel that they should reward the loyal that upgraded to CS2.

The purpose of a public beta is to get bug reports, not to provide early functionality to desirous users. CS3 is an upgrade from CS2 where the features are far more similar than to CS1 (of course).

It makes sense they want to get feedback from the "leading edge users" as it is those users who needed CS2 functionalities and features over CS1, and who demanded the new features added to CS3.

It is those new features by the users who demanded them that need to be ironed out before a full release.

Once you realize this reality it all makes perfect sense.

Rocketman

zoozx
Dec 11, 2006, 11:34 AM
Finally something positive coming from Adobe.
The last few versions of PS / CS without public beta and dumbed down new features geared for the amateur have been painful. Hopefully this new version has significant upgrades for the professional users and not just a bunch of bells and whistles. Hopefully they do away with there windblows like registration and keycode nonsense!

Westside guy
Dec 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
I wonder if this will only be open to people with the full CS2 suite, or if it'll be available to those of us who have one or two CS2 products - I've got InDesign CS2, but my Photoshop is still version 7.

I'm a little concerned about the timing. Adobe doesn't have a history of public betas; they obviously released Lightroom as one because they didn't want to lose the entire market during the year+ they knew they were away from a release. If this rumor is true, it makes me think they're still a significant way from being able to release, and are just trying to quiet the hordes. Although now that they own Macromedia they could pretty much tell us to stuff it if they felt so inclined...

todd2000
Dec 11, 2006, 11:57 AM
I completly agree, Those of us who have waited through CS2 are more likey to upgrade to CS3 when it arrives, unless of course you are of the intel userbase. Seems Adobe is forgetting this demographic.

Im confused why would someone "of the intel userbase" not want to upgrade to CS3? And why are they forgetting about Intel, CS3 will be a UB?

superleccy
Dec 11, 2006, 12:01 PM
I am not condoning their position, on the other side how many CS1 & CS2 users actually have a fully legit copy?

I'm not condoning their position either... just condoning their abuse of their position.

And no... I don't own a fully legit copy of CS1 or CS2, because I don't own any copy of any pro Adobe software... because I haven't been able to afford it yet... and thanks to Adobe there isn't a serious alternative for me to use either (despite many well-intentioned suggestions from forum members in other threads on this board - thanks guys I am grateful, honest). Before switching to a Mac over two years ago, the thing I was most looking forward to was expanding on my semi-pro (ie, I enjoy it but I'm not very good) graphic design work... yet today it's the one reason I wish I still had a PC for. Ironic.

Readers in the USA might be interested to know that in the UK, at today's exchange rate, CS2 costs US$1,375.08 (US$1,615.72 incl. VAT). Illustrator alone (which is all I am really interested in) weighs in at US$827.70 (US$972.55 incl VAT). No, I do not get an edu discount because I am not a student... but that does not mean I am made of money.

OK, expecting the "stop moaning" flames now...
SL

brad.c
Dec 11, 2006, 12:11 PM
Then like so many of us, you should have gotten/stuck with a PPC based machine.

For non critical work, Rosetta cuts it just fine. I have used it on both PPC and Intel based Macs and never have crashes, then again I pack my machines with RAM, which is vital for non-native apps.

I consider the practical lifespan of hardware to be around three years. So when I needed to buy a laptop last March, do you expect I'd spend today's money on last year's technology? I made a conscious, non-regretted decision to buy a machine for which the native apps wouldn't be ready for months. Adobe said it would be a year til CS3, and I'm holding them to that. A beta won't cut it. I do worry that this means late Q2, though.

Rosetta is merely the kludge that made the Intel Mac saleable.

You're darn skippy about maxing the RAM. I went cheap at first, but upgraded to save my sanity.

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
The purpose of a public beta is to get bug reports, not to provide early functionality to desirous users. CS3 is an upgrade from CS2 where the features are far more similar than to CS1 (of course).

It makes sense they want to get feedback from the "leading edge users" as it is those users who needed CS2 functionalities and features over CS1, and who demanded the new features added to CS3.

It is those new features by the users who demanded them that need to be ironed out before a full release.

Once you realize this reality it all makes perfect sense.

Rocketman

Not sure why you quoted me, then told me to relise this "reality" - but I didn't suggest for a minute that it was for "early functionality to desirous users".

I am a beta tester for Adobe, so I know all about CS3 already.

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 12:17 PM
I consider the practical lifespan of hardware to be around three years. So when I needed to buy a laptop last March, do you expect I'd spend today's money on last year's technology? I made a conscious, non-regretted decision to buy a machine for which the native apps wouldn't be ready for months. Adobe said it would be a year til CS3, and I'm holding them to that. A beta won't cut it. I do worry that this means late Q2, though.

Rosetta is merely the kludge that made the Intel Mac saleable.

You're darn skippy about maxing the RAM. I went cheap at first, but upgraded to save my sanity.

Unfortunately blinky, my friend - a lot of "us" have had to make that sacrifice. When doing genuinely time critical work PPC is currently the only way to do it.

mohaukachi
Dec 11, 2006, 12:24 PM
my big question is about AE 8. 7 was a waste of time, creatively and professionally. its added so many kinks in our production chain. im hoping that 8 has a much better demeanor. plus being locked to a top speed of quad 2.7 for a year is terrible for trying to grow with demand for rendering HP. come on after effects 8... be good!!!

Multimedia
Dec 11, 2006, 12:25 PM
If you are a CS1 user then for $165 you can be a CS2 user. The upgrade is not that expensive I have an even earlier version of PS that I have not wanted to upgrade, waiting for the UB version to come out before I upgrade.Yes but the upgrade from CS1 to CS3 will also cost only $165 or whatever new price they choose to make an upgrade to CS3 cost. You don't pay more for an upgrade from an older version to the newest version. With CS1, I didn't feel an urgency to get CS2 when it first came out. Not long later, the UB concept was announced by Apple and I knew then that I would wait for CS3 UB before I did upgrade my CS1. I'm a very light user anyway.

brad.c
Dec 11, 2006, 12:32 PM
Allex

I'm not delirious for a Beta, merely hoping the software will ship when suggested. Adding a Beta cycle suggests a timing delay, don't you think? Or are you upset that now every registered CS2 user is an Adobe Beta tester now?

I quoted you only because you were suggesting Bern limit his hardware choice due to software limitations. Easy enough to dictate the "realities" of others so off-handedly.

I'm happy your "genuinely important" work affords you the luxury of upgrading your hardware as often as it does. Mine just puts food on the table.

Clive At Five
Dec 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
OK, expecting the "stop moaning" flames now...
SL

Nah... I think it's pretty much agreed that CSx is a very expensive product. However, it's also very powerful. The nice thing is that it's modern enough that you *should* be able to use it for a number of years without requiring an upgrade... preferably through a few revisions of the product.

It's just like buying a new Mac. You don't have to buy every revision of your model of computer... just whenever yours is becoming outdated to the point of embarrassment. Speaking of which, I think it's about time to upgrade the ol' 800MHz G4 iMac. She's slowin' down...

-Clive

cr2sh
Dec 11, 2006, 12:43 PM
I haven't been following CS3 rumors at all.. does anyone know what Adobe's plans are regarding Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash? Is it likely to see them all reworked and combined (where possible) with Adobe Apps in CS3? Or will we get a Studio9 or some **** down the road?

brad.c
Dec 11, 2006, 01:01 PM
Yes but the upgrade from CS1 to CS3 will also cost only $165 or whatever new price they choose to make an upgrade to CS3 cost. You don't pay more for an upgrade from an older version to the newest version. With CS1, I didn't feel an urgency to get CS2 when it first came out. Not long later, the UB concept was announced by Apple and I knew then that I would wait for CS3 UB before I did upgrade my CS1. I'm a very light user anyway.

$165? Wow, you certain of that? I checked CDW for upgrade pricing -- I'm running CS1 right now -- and the Premium upgrade from 1.x to 2.3 is CDN $652.99. I expect the upgrade from CS2-3 to be similar. From 1.x to 3? Likely pretty close to a straight-out purchase price. But Adobe has earned it for me.

I'm a heavy user right now (in that I use every day), but hate the Photoshop slow-zone.

superleccy
Dec 11, 2006, 01:16 PM
Nah... I think it's pretty much agreed that CSx is a very expensive product. However, it's also very powerful. The nice thing is that it's modern enough that you *should* be able to use it for a number of years without requiring an upgrade... preferably through a few revisions of the product.

True... unless Apple decide to migrate the Mac platform to another processor again! :)

Seriously... I'll probably take the plunge when CS3 is released (on the back of a holiday in the USA, as another poster has suggested). You're right, it should last me for a few years. After all, Corel Draw! 6 did fine for me on the PC for almost a decade... but that only cost me £50 in 1996!

SL

spookje
Dec 11, 2006, 01:59 PM
Well, I don't think we need to wait until the end of the month ;)

Multimedia
Dec 11, 2006, 03:13 PM
If you are a CS1 user then for $165 you can be a CS2 user. The upgrade is not that expensive I have an even earlier version of PS that I have not wanted to upgrade, waiting for the UB version to come out before I upgrade.$165? Wow, you certain of that? I checked CDW for upgrade pricing -- I'm running CS1 right now -- and the Premium upgrade from 1.x to 2.3 is CDN $652.99. I expect the upgrade from CS2-3 to be similar. From 1.x to 3? Likely pretty close to a straight-out purchase price. But Adobe has earned it for me.

I'm a heavy user right now (in that I use every day), but hate the Photoshop slow-zone.$169 only for Photoshop. The whole shebang cost $549 to upgrade from CS1 to CS2 Premium including Studio 8 and Acrobat Pro 8..

brad.c
Dec 11, 2006, 03:16 PM
$169 only for Photoshop. The whole shebang cost $595 to upgrade.

Ah. Sorry, MM. but you got me excited there. ;)

BTW: I'm digging your Quad G5 rig. CS must sing on that puppy.

Alex Urchin
Dec 11, 2006, 04:20 PM
Allex

I'm not delirious for a Beta, merely hoping the software will ship when suggested. Adding a Beta cycle suggests a timing delay, don't you think? Or are you upset that now every registered CS2 user is an Adobe Beta tester now?

No, I advocate it, for the people that need it and for the professionals that can actually help Adobe make a better product.

I quoted you only because you were suggesting Bern limit his hardware choice due to software limitations. Easy enough to dictate the "realities" of others so off-handedly.

Dictate? Hmm, OK. I suggested if it was important enough, he should have used a PPC instead of an intel machine.

Anyway, like so many professional users that make money from using this software I have had to continue to use PPC products because of time critical projects. That is all part of the job.

I'm happy your "genuinely important" work affords you the luxury of upgrading your hardware as often as it does. Mine just puts food on the table.

I'm sure, as does mine, but using a faster machine it looks like I am earning more crusts than you.

LastZion
Dec 11, 2006, 06:53 PM
awesome news, very exciting. Free to those with valid cs2 too, perfect!

YS2003
Dec 11, 2006, 07:01 PM
So, based on the past Beta releases from Adobe, how stable would you think CS3 Beta would be? Do you expect it to be fully functional, except for some bugs here and there as all the beta versions would be?

Andrew7724
Dec 11, 2006, 07:03 PM
I think Adobe is providing free beta to the CS2 owners right? or is it free "upgrade"?

how does this work? can someone tell me.
I have photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2, how much do i need to pay to upgrade? (not beta)

Craiger77
Dec 11, 2006, 07:27 PM
Jeff Schewe, who is an author/photographer who hangs out with a lot of Photoshop people at Adobe posted this today on his PhotoshopNews.com (http://www.photoshopnews.com) site:

I’ll be taking some personal time off this week for family reasons, so PhotoshopNews will have only spotty coverage. However, you -WILL- want to tune into PhotoshopNews this coming Friday, December 15th-I can say no more…

Looks like we will have to wait until Friday, but better than waiting until Spring so see what Photoshop will do on an Intel Mac.

Multimedia
Dec 11, 2006, 08:51 PM
Jeff Schewe, who is an author/photographer who hangs out with a lot of Photoshop people at Adobe posted this today on his PhotoshopNews.com (http://www.photoshopnews.com) site:I’ll be taking some personal time off this week for family reasons, so PhotoshopNews will have only spotty coverage. However, you -WILL- want to tune into PhotoshopNews this coming Friday, December 15th-I can say no more…Looks like we will have to wait until Friday, but better than waiting until Spring to see what Photoshop will do on an Intel Mac.Excellent find. I just hope they don't make the mistake of limiting the free beta to only for owners of CS2 since there are likely many more CS1 and Studio 7 or Photoshop only owners who plan to graduate to the UB CS3 Premium than there are PPC CS2 owners out here.

brad.c
Dec 11, 2006, 11:12 PM
Well, Alex you sure are eating something. Sure hope your contribution as a beta tester is more substantial.

Alex Urchin
Dec 12, 2006, 03:08 AM
Well, Alex you sure are eating something. Sure hope your contribution as a beta tester is more substantial.

More substantial than what?

I think you need to learn a little more about Adobe, then come back and give daft opinions.

I'm done with this petty little squabble anyway.

hidea
Dec 12, 2006, 03:59 AM
Hahaha, kind of funny seeing the heated debate on CS2, and there's some mention of Vista, even!

Anyway, from a Graphic Designer's perspective, it can be seen as a potential sales boost, it's an incentive in getting a new Mac that's Intel based.

I've known a few people who own Quad G5; they're putting the thoughts of buying an Intel based Mac aside due to the fact the Adobe apps aren't UB yet. However, they all have said the samething, that they will be putting the thoughts back once Adobe turn all their apps in to UB apps.

The rumors about performance integrity updates are nothing, but like a shiny red new bike to me! I'm so giddy, I really hope they're keeping the Core Image support on the final build (Opel GL Zoom? - Core Image? Core Animation?). Imagine, just the fact it's not emulated anymore, of course, the optimizations for Intel CPUs, and :crossing fingers: Core Image support, and myessss......

Personally, I won't trust beta software, I'd run it, side by side with CS2, until the Beta is confirmed to be stable enough (which I doubt, there's gotta be quirks here and there). I gotta use something more reliable, even if it's slow, to pay the bills :P (and assignments! -ugh-)

SPUY767
Dec 12, 2006, 06:01 AM
But remember that the key word is BETA. I wouldn't use the CS3 software for any critical projects - meaning anything that pays the bills.

C'mon, this isn't Microsoft. I used CS2 when it was in Beta for my productions stuff, I just set up a very rigorous backup schedule so that any work I did was saved automatically and duped to the SAN every 5 or so minutes. Adobe Betas are typically nearly production grade (in my experience), hell, I'm sure that MS would like their RC stuff to be as reliable as Adobe betas. So long as the file formats are the same, I think that if you know what the heck you're doing, the increase in speed gained by not running under rosetta would justify the burden of setting up the aforementioned backup regimen.

SPUY767
Dec 12, 2006, 08:33 AM

Adobe left the Apple video editing market because it was getting hammered by FCS. FinalCut Pro does almost everything that AfterEffects will, and if you need any better compositing than FCS and Plug-ins offer, then you've probably got a copy of Shake. And with an app like Motion making motion graphics much less time consuming to produce, on the Mac side there is no need for After Effects. There is no money in spending the time developing AfterEffects for the new Macs.

YS2003
Dec 12, 2006, 12:04 PM
C'mon, this isn't Microsoft. ...............Adobe Betas are typically nearly production grade (in my experience), hell, I'm sure that MS would like their RC stuff to be as reliable as Adobe betas.
It is good to hear that Adobe's Beta has a good reputation to be very stable and usable. I hope Adobe will make the CS2 and CS3 files compatible with each other.

Blue Velvet
Dec 12, 2006, 12:16 PM
It is good to hear that Adobe's Beta has a good reputation to be very stable and usable. I hope Adobe will make the CS2 and CS3 files compatible with each other.

I don't have much faith that it will. InDesign Exchange files or default EPSs that aren't backwards compatible, anyone? Exporting stuff is a pain.

spookje
Dec 12, 2006, 12:20 PM
Yep, announcement thursday, downloading at friday...

kainjow
Dec 12, 2006, 07:56 PM
Adobe Photoshop CS3 beta to drop this friday (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2301)

People familiar with the Macintosh version of the editor confirm it to be a Universal Binary which "simply screams" on Apple Computer's new Intel-based hardware.

I might just buy a CS2 license to try out the CS3 beta, simply for being an Intel binary finally. I'd actually hope that they don't do a universal binary, since that would be pretty big file size.

failsafe1
Dec 12, 2006, 08:24 PM
OK all you faithful Macrumor readers with a CS2 license. Download and post results and screen shots for us lowly CS users who don't have serial number. Good news all round!!