Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
NC
Hey all,

Im an amateur musician and want to start recording using GarageBand. I have a 2 ghz core duo MacBook with 2 gig of ram and a 60 GB hard drive. Im just wondering if anyone out there has done some recording with this setup and if so, have you had any issues with the hard drive speed? How many tracks can you typically record? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!

Dave

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
Don't forget there will be people out there using G4 and G5 processors. You shouldn't have any problem, I use an iMac G5 with one gig of RAM and it works fine, I've not yet run it to issues with numbers of tracks and I must have used 8/9... :)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Pretty surre all macbooks have 5400rpm drives. That's sufficient for a few channels. If you want high track counts then maybe look into an external drive or a 7200rpm internal drive.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
NC
yeah, Im thinking I wont need more than 5 tracks total but was worried the 5400rpm wouldn't be fast enough. If it is though, that'd rock! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.