PDA

View Full Version : iPhone not at Macworld Expo San Francisco 2007?

MacRumors
Dec 11, 2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

TheAge.com.au reports (http://www.theage.com.au/news/phones--pdas/iphone-could-be-put-on-hold/2006/12/11/1165685598310.html?from=rss) on one analysts expectations that the iPhone will not see commercial launch until late 1st Quarter or early 2nd Quarter of 2007.

While they point to this as a "delay" in the iPhone release, readers should remember that most rumors to date have simply pointed to production of the iPhone in the "first half of 2007".

A report that Hon Hai (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/11/20061115090741.shtml) had won the iPhone contract sparked much of the iPhone anticipation - but that report only pointed to a release in the first half of 2007. The only rumor specifically pointing to a January release has been the podcast comments by Kevin Rose (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061203094854.shtml).

Meanwhile, other analysts have primarily described a ramp up of production (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061205105051.shtml) of the iPhone.

Macworld Expo 2007 kicks off on January 8th with a Keynote speech (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061003131531.shtml) from Steve Jobs. As always, MacRumors.com will provide live coverage (http://www.macrumorslive.com) of the event.

Squonk
Dec 11, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'm ready when Apple is for this phone!!! :D Cash is in the bank and waiting....

shunpike
Dec 11, 2006, 01:01 PM
Better late than never - and if it's late it had better be good, but then again with apple/Jobs what else would it be?

twoodcc
Dec 11, 2006, 01:01 PM
Anyway, I'm ready when Apple is for this phone!!! :D Cash is in the bank and waiting....

well i'll be ready also. hopefully sooner than later......i guess we'll see soon enough

MacVault
Dec 11, 2006, 01:04 PM
Though I'm looking forward to the iPhone I voted positive for this thread because that leaves room for something else to be the "one more thing" at Macworld 2007. Like a low-end Mac Pro, etc.

MrFirework
Dec 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
Come on iPhone... WORK WITH CINGULAR!

shunpike
Dec 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
Though I'm looking forward to the iPhone I voted positive for this thread because that leaves room for something else to be the "one more thing" at Macworld 2007. Like a low-end Mac Pro, etc.

Good Point! :D :D

hope its a 40gb HDD/Flash hybrid ipod with video.

aintnohalfstppn
Dec 11, 2006, 01:12 PM
this iphone had better show up.
i've been holding out on a new phone for awhile now.

MacSamurai
Dec 11, 2006, 01:15 PM
Better late than never - and if it's late it had better be good, but then again with apple/Jobs what else would it be?
hmm usually phones that stay in the works for too long come out bad.Lets just hope with the extra time they add, they keep up to date.

Macula
Dec 11, 2006, 01:19 PM
Come on, guys! Isn't it obvious? We are not going to see the iPhone anytime before Leopard... If the iPhone is to succeed it will need to offer innovation and integration that Tiger is not ready to provide... Hold the line until April/May, then!

(In the meantime, Apple, it's high time you gave us:
- a full-sized Tablet Mac
- Santa Rosa/NAND-equipped iMacs and laptops
- Macbook with a serious graphics chipset)

:mad:

:cool:

shunpike
Dec 11, 2006, 01:21 PM
Come on, guys! Isn't it obvious? We are not going to see the iPhone anytime before Leopard... If the iPhone is to succeed it will need to offer innovation and integration that Tiger is not ready to provide... Hold the line until April/May, then!

i hope it's may - than i have something to spend my B-day cash on! :) :) :)

kddpop
Dec 11, 2006, 01:27 PM
i agree that apple needs to get a phone to market quickly. i keep seeing ads for pretty cool looking (cool looking to the average consumer) phones with all kinds of bells and whistles.

but 1. apple will and should wait until the phone is of a quality to capture the market as the did with the ipod. 2. macworld only has room for one really big new piece of hardware, ie "one more thing."

i think, while already previewed, the one more thing this time around will be iTV. time will tell.

~kyle

mrthieme
Dec 11, 2006, 01:34 PM
I am one of the sorry souls with a Verizon raped Razr, so I know what cell phone hatred is about. I love the prospect of an Apple phone that works well and looks good doing it, but I can't shake the feeling that cell service predators, I mean providers, will do everything in their power to ruin the user experience. I hope I'm wrong.

Diatribe
Dec 11, 2006, 01:40 PM

For the same reason you mentioned there will be no Santa Rosa/NAND equipped Macs until Leopard is out. I don't think there will be a Tiger update for this.

MacVault
Dec 11, 2006, 01:44 PM

YES! Especially the third point! Apple, put a real GPU in the freekin Macbook already!

shunpike
Dec 11, 2006, 01:50 PM
YES! Especially the third point! Apple, put a real GPU in the freekin Macbook already!

lol - well spotted

GimmeSlack12
Dec 11, 2006, 02:08 PM
Surprise Surprise.

Maestro64
Dec 11, 2006, 02:08 PM
My perdiction is that if this is a real product, Steve will show off something in January to get everyone excited and over a period of 6 months roll the product out to the service providers. In the cell phone industry phones are always pre anounced to build demand then over time those phones come available at the provider stores. There is no way apple can coordinated all the providers to offer the phone at the same time. They have promotions already set up with other manufactures that they must let run the course.

Not to say that you will not be able to pull your SIM card from you current phone and plug it into a nice new white iphone when they are available. but providers these days can block any phone from working on their network if they do not recognize the model.

With a risk as big as this and having to deal with all the providers to make it work I doublt apple will build millions of them and have the retail channel full when they make the announcement. I bet it rolls out slowly.

TheAnswer
Dec 11, 2006, 02:12 PM
My perdiction is that if this is a real product, Steve will show off something in January

It would be great if Steve just took a phone call on the iPhone and didn't say anything about it, just used it and put it back in his jeans. That would create some buzz.

shunpike
Dec 11, 2006, 02:12 PM
My perdiction is that if this is a real product, Steve will show off something in January to get everyone excited and over a period of 6 months roll the product out to the service providers. In the cell phone industry phones are always pre anounced to build demand then over time those phones come available at the provider stores. There is no way apple can coordinated all the providers to offer the phone at the same time. They have promotions already set up with other manufactures that they must let run the course.

Not to say that you will not be able to pull your SIM card from you current phone and plug it into a nice new white iphone when they are available. but providers these days can block any phone from working on their network if they do not recognize the model.

With a risk as big as this and having to deal with all the providers to make it work I doublt apple will build millions of them and have the retail channel full when they make the announcement. I bet it rolls out slowly.

that makes sense - he'll say it exists and then the hype will begin...

Peace
Dec 11, 2006, 02:17 PM
Keep in mind Jobs showed the iTV before its release come January.I'm guessing we see the iPhone at MacWorld with shipment mid March.

Sean.Perrin
Dec 11, 2006, 02:21 PM
OMG... my old phone is only going to last so long!!! AHHH!!

Squonk
Dec 11, 2006, 02:21 PM
Keep in mind Jobs showed the iTV before its release come January.I'm guessing we see the iPhone at MacWorld with shipment mid March.

It would be great if Steve just took a phone call on the iPhone and didn't say anything about it, just used it and put it back in his jeans. That would create some buzz.

I'd love to see this happen as well! I'm not counting on it though.

C'mon Steve, surprise me, ok? :p

johncarync
Dec 11, 2006, 02:22 PM
What does it say about me that I'm looking forward to the MacWorld keynote more than I am to Christmas!

-John

KindredMAC
Dec 11, 2006, 02:26 PM
never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it!

Read this like you were singing that R&B song by En Vogue in '92..... 'Cause that's what you gonna get! NUTHIN!

Come on folks, how long have we been hearing about the "iPhone"??? Too long for anything to be considered concrete. Why would Apple come into the cell phone market? There are no glaring problems with the market like there was with the mp3 market in 2000-2001. Companies that have tried to be super innovative with their phones have had their products end up like the Cube. Anyone remember NGAGE???? That was a Nokia product.

If Nokia couldn't make something work in their own industry what does Apple really think they can bring to the table? The ONLY thing that could work is an iChat feature where you can also connect to AIM and iChat accounts on home computers through the phone.

princealfie
Dec 11, 2006, 02:45 PM
Okay, but what about the Samsung Blackjack. Isn't that a precursor to the iPhone?

iKwick7
Dec 11, 2006, 02:54 PM
this iphone had better show up.
i've been holding out on a new phone for awhile now.

Me too. I am in no rush to buy a new phone, but my old Nokia is starting to crap out on me. I like the Nokia E62 but it's only Cingular ( I think)> I am very happy w/ T-Mobile, so I am sticking w/ them, but I do like the T-Moblie Dash. Thing is, I would really like a Mac-friendly smart phone (my current Nokia is).

dashiel
Dec 11, 2006, 02:59 PM
Come on folks, how long have we been hearing about the "iPhone"??? Too long for anything to be considered concrete. Why would Apple come into the cell phone market? There are no glaring problems with the market like there was with the mp3 market in 2000-2001. Companies that have tried to be super innovative with their phones have had their products end up like the Cube. Anyone remember NGAGE???? That was a Nokia product.

If Nokia couldn't make something work in their own industry what does Apple really think they can bring to the table? The ONLY thing that could work is an iChat feature where you can also connect to AIM and iChat accounts on home computers through the phone.

the single biggest, and probably worst offender of glaring deficiencies in the cell phone market is the user interface. no current phone has a good ui, and having worked on a couple of future concepts for sony and hp there's nothing in the pipeline from either of those two.

as for why would apple want to be in the market? simple fact is phones and music players are going to converge for a lot of people -- not all, but a lot. apple needs an entrant in to that market to prevent lost sales.

the ngauge was a failure not because it was from nokia, but because it was a sprawling mess of a device with an absurd product design (really talking in to the side of the phone WTF?!), bad games (which is bad for a gaming device) and a muddled marketing message.

on a purely subjective level, i find 90% of mobile phones' industrial design to be very poor. the iphone i would expect to be second to none in terms of its ID.

shunpike
Dec 11, 2006, 03:03 PM
the single biggest, and probably worst offender of glaring deficiencies in the cell phone market is the user interface. no current phone has a good ui, and having worked on a couple of future concepts for sony and hp there's nothing in the pipeline from either of those two.

as for why would apple want to be in the market? simple fact is phones and music players are going to converge for a lot of people -- not all, but a lot. apple needs an entrant in to that market to prevent lost sales.

the ngauge was a failure not because it was from nokia, but because it was a sprawling mess of a device with an absurd product design (really talking in to the side of the phone WTF?!), bad games (which is bad for a gaming device) and a muddled marketing message.

on a purely subjective level, i find 90% of mobile phones' industrial design to be very poor. the iphone i would expect to be second to none in terms of its ID.

that's the reason for all you doubters - well said.

EagerDragon
Dec 11, 2006, 03:04 PM
Well my iPod 4G just died, I need that iPhone with PDA and music in one. Not that interested in it's video phone capabilites.

shunpike
Dec 11, 2006, 03:06 PM
Well my iPod 4G just died, I need that iPhone with PDA and music in one. Not that interested in it's video phone capabilites.

u do realise that it won't go above 8gb max memory

JUST SEEN I AM NOW A MACRUMORS MEMBER! HOORAY

Groovey
Dec 11, 2006, 03:08 PM
Instead of Apple, we should really smack those analysts real good! We could guess the weather of 2009 just as accurately as they can predict the release of the iPhone. :rolleyes:

BlackBox
Dec 11, 2006, 03:14 PM
iPhone, iPod Video, iTV...and one more thing??
STOP teasing us and freaking release the products so I don't have to hold onto all the "iCraps" I am using right now.

EagerDragon
Dec 11, 2006, 03:17 PM
u do realise that it won't go above 8gb max memory

JUST SEEN I AM NOW A MACRUMORS MEMBER! HOORAY

No problem, I don't have that much music, but I do listen to several podcast a day in the car. So 8 gig is plenty. You probably don't remember but the first PC had a 5 meg hard disk and the first Apple I remember used a floppy.

Even 4 gig may do for music, but need a little more for calendars, and other stuff.

Aniej
Dec 11, 2006, 03:31 PM
Just to fan the flames a bit more...
Here are some "pics" of several different creative ideas people have put out there for what the iPhone might look like. I personally like the one that is a take on the shuffle.

http://mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C10865/

Lepton
Dec 11, 2006, 03:41 PM
Here's details on what they might be working on at the higher end, iPhone, video iPod, remote control, a 16:9 touch screen across the face...

The Apple Concept Device (http://tinyurl.com/y8rdcr)

jmbear
Dec 11, 2006, 04:37 PM

I second that!

I believe if the phone is GSM, it can not be blocked, but I am not entirely sure.

Apple will most likely launch a GSM model. GSM has the biggest potential worldwide, just because Verizon uses crappy CDMA doesn´t mean Apple will cripple its product. If the product is well received, it will give Apple power over Verizon so the iPhone is launched with all its features (Verizon is known for crippling phones features) in CDMA. We will see what happens...

killmoms
Dec 11, 2006, 04:42 PM
I'm going to make a bold statement (in boldface, no less). You know why we won't see the iPhone at MWSF in 2007?

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T ****ING EXIST.

Talk amongst yourselves. ;)

netdog
Dec 11, 2006, 04:44 PM
I'm going to make a bold statement (in boldface, no less). You know why we won't see the iPhone at MWSF in 2007?

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T ****ING EXIST.

Talk amongst yourselves. ;)

Bold? Perhaps. Naive? Certainly.

jmbear
Dec 11, 2006, 04:47 PM
Okay, but what about the Samsung Blackjack. Isn't that a precursor to the iPhone?

"Quad-band GSM, with 64mb RAM and 128mb ROM plus microSD memory slot, the BlackJack manages to pack Bluetooth v2.0, a 1.3-megapixel camera, speakerphone, support for push email and UMTS/HSDPA/EDGE/GPRS data connectivity into a 0.46-inch thick candybar weighing a mere 3.5 ounces. The 1,200 mAh battery promises up to 5.5 hours talk-time or eleven days standby, and since it runs Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone OS you can take advantage of all the productivity apps, IM clients and mobile internet that come loaded as standard. "

Add 4-8 Gb flash memory, Wi-Fi/Wi-Max compatibility, music playback through iTunes, remove Windows Mobile 5.0, add Mac OS Mobile (In case that will be the name of the new iPhone OS), make it white and we might have the iPhone!

FelixGV
Dec 11, 2006, 07:08 PM
Let's just hope it's not restricted to Verizon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q

Hahaha...

Play Ultimate
Dec 11, 2006, 08:45 PM
You probably don't remember but the first PC had a 5 meg hard disk and the first Apple I remember used a floppy.

I remember plugging my TRS-80 into my cassette deck. :eek:

CEAbiscuit
Dec 11, 2006, 09:08 PM
I remember plugging my TRS-80 into my cassette deck. :eek:

I remember plugging my Timex Sinclair 1000 into my tv and tape deck.;)

Sawtoothdude
Dec 11, 2006, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know for sure If this thing is going to have a Mac OS? I am really interested in this phone but if it doesn't have cool software then I may be better off just getting an iPod and a phone.

MAcNIAC
Dec 11, 2006, 10:54 PM
this thread is an anti rumor. well atleast between the "iphone at MWSF" and the "iPhone not at MWSF" we have our bases covered.:D

odaiwai
Dec 11, 2006, 11:24 PM

"And there's one more thing..." BRINGG! "Oh, excuse me."

Steve takes a phone from his pocket, holds it up in front of his face and has a brief video iChat with one of the other Apple Execs. Puts phone away.

"Right, where was I..."

moesker007
Dec 12, 2006, 12:12 AM
My razr works about 1/4 of the time, so now I am using a freebie nokia phone until I think it's time to invest in a new one. The Dolce and Gabbana Razr v3i looks very nice but I WANT TO HOLD OUT FOR THE iPHONE. PLEASE, PLEASE, release it sometime soon!!

mi5moav
Dec 12, 2006, 12:21 AM
I have not seen the iphone though I have seen the touchpad designed by Synaptics. All I can say is that the scroll-wheel will rest right on-top of the number pad. There will be no need to slide or flip back and forth. If you want to dial you just press on the keys and you will dial. If you want to scroll through music your fingers just scroll on-top of the numbers(use almost identical pressure as current ipods). Synaptics has done a great job with this. When you look down on the touchpad you can see the outline of the scroll wheel. The scroll-wheel is integrated into the phone pad its a perfect simplistic design, no need for all this craziness everyone is designing into these mockups. A friend of mine in Russia who works for Pantech described this.

koobcamuk
Dec 12, 2006, 04:15 AM
I am one of the sorry souls with a Verizon raped Razr, so I know what cell phone hatred is about. I love the prospect of an Apple phone that works well and looks good doing it, but I can't shake the feeling that cell service predators, I mean providers, will do everything in their power to ruin the user experience. I hope I'm wrong.

They won't be doing this in the UK. I don't get the US phone market at all. So backwards.

mrthieme
Dec 12, 2006, 04:58 AM
They won't be doing this in the UK. I don't get the US phone market at all. So backwards.
I don't get it either, and I'm living here.

My understanding is that phones are not subsidized by the carriers in the UK so they cost more, but can swap service, and are not crippled . Is that correct? I would go for that in a minute.

I can't tell you how angry I was when I found my new Razr had been deliberately crippled by Verizon to force me to sign up for more monthly payments. So now I have a bluetooth capable device with no bluetooth capabilities.

I would rather see more of a push into multimedia devices (itv deluxe) in the living room at Macworld. There is a whole range of hardware they can sell there.

kddpop
Dec 12, 2006, 09:14 AM
Here's details on what they might be working on at the higher end, iPhone, video iPod, remote control, a 16:9 touch screen across the face...

The Apple Concept Device (http://tinyurl.com/y8rdcr)

your device is very cool. but its asking quite a bit, don't you think. perhaps lower expectations in your life will lead to fewer dissapointments. just a thought.

but...as i said, very cool device. i'd want one.

~kyle

TheBobcat
Dec 12, 2006, 09:24 AM
For the sake of AAPL, they better at least mention the iPhone at MWSF or that stock is going to dive. Investors have been having iPhonegasms since these rumors really started kicking up a few months ago and I would say thats largely why the price is up around 90 now. If Apple remains mum after this major event, thats gonna take a dive.

shunpike
Dec 12, 2006, 09:36 AM
No problem, I don't have that much music, but I do listen to several podcast a day in the car. So 8 gig is plenty. You probably don't remember but the first PC had a 5 meg hard disk and the first Apple I remember used a floppy.

Even 4 gig may do for music, but need a little more for calendars, and other stuff.

the first computer I used was a Windows 95 - I was born in '92 so my computer experiance is strictly modern - although my dad tells me of the times when he stored info in little dots on paper? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

NO idea what that was about!?! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

sartinsauce
Dec 12, 2006, 12:17 PM
I can't tell you how angry I was when I found my new Razr had been deliberately crippled by Verizon to force me to sign up for more monthly payments. So now I have a bluetooth capable device with no bluetooth capabilities.

I would rather see more of a push into multimedia devices (itv deluxe) in the living room at Macworld. There is a whole range of hardware they can sell there.

Not only do they cripple the devices, they don't let you properly demo them before you purchase. Most retail stores don't have working phones (here in Los Angeles anyway). The only way to demo a phone is to (a) find a friend with the device and carrier you want, or (b) buy the phone and try it out.

I want the iPhone not just because I suspect Apple will design something great, but also because I'm hoping an iPhone will revolutionize the US Mobile Phone industry. That's what the iPod did for the mp3 player business...

Squonk
Dec 12, 2006, 01:11 PM
I want the iPhone not just because I suspect Apple will design something great, but also because I'm hoping an iPhone will revolutionize the US Mobile Phone industry. That's what the iPod did for the mp3 player business...

I right there with you! :)

Maestro64
Dec 12, 2006, 01:18 PM
I believe if the phone is GSM, it can not be blocked, but I am not entirely sure.

The networks does have the ability to block a phone form operating, whether an operator chooses to do so is another issue.

Apple will most likely launch a GSM model. GSM has the biggest potential worldwide, just because Verizon uses crappy CDMA doesn´t mean Apple will cripple its product. If the product is well received, it will give Apple power over Verizon so the iPhone is launched with all its features (Verizon is known for crippling phones features) in CDMA. We will see what happens...

No supplier has power over Verizon, Verizon does what it wants and if you want to have your product work on their network you do what they want. The perfect example is how Verizon makes cell phone companies disable feature in the phone like Bluetooth and USb file transfer so you and not put ringtones on your phone form your computer, you have to buy it form them. Do you really think Verizon will let Apple give us full access to the phone via our computers, think again.

FelixGV
Dec 12, 2006, 02:49 PM
No supplier has power over Verizon, Verizon does what it wants and if you want to have your product work on their network you do what they want. The perfect example is how Verizon makes cell phone companies disable feature in the phone like Bluetooth and USb file transfer so you and not put ringtones on your phone form your computer, you have to buy it form them. Do you really think Verizon will let Apple give us full access to the phone via our computers, think again.
On the other hand... if Apple IS able to strike such a deal with Verizon, wouldn't that make the iPhone that much more attractive than the other brands Verizon offers...?

xVeinx
Dec 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
This probably mirrors what some have already said, but, oh well :p. For about 4+ years now I've been using a phone from Virgin Mobile, which is a pre-paid service. Basic service, works great, basic phone as well, also works fine. That being said, I was always eager to get a "real" phone. After looking at the phones from Sprint and Cingular and everywhere else though, I realized just how much crap there really is out there. If and when I go for a new plan, I would most definately invest in an iPhone simply because I know it would be what macs in general are: easy to use, stylish, and have the right features.

Goldfinger
Dec 12, 2006, 04:37 PM
the first computer I used was a Windows 95 - I was born in '92 so my computer experiance is strictly modern - although my dad tells me of the times when he stored info in little dots on paper? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

NO idea what that was about!?! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_card

Ashims
Dec 12, 2006, 08:35 PM
Is it wrong of me to be more looking foward to the Macworld keynote than Christmas? :p

OdduWon
Dec 12, 2006, 09:01 PM
hope fully it will be unlocked if and when it comes out. i have cingular now and have to call them every month to fix some sort of over charge. last month someome spammed me like 60 text messages to a grand total 0f $12. i had my text messaging dissabled, but this morning i get my bill and bam! 55 text messages:confused: How can i be charged for text messages when i had it dissabled:rolleyes: . Plus i didn't even recive them on my phone.These people terrible. i think THEY are spamming me hoping i will not call and complain. the bastards:mad: I told the person on the phone this and they got all defensive. and i said look dosen't it seem a little strange that you guys are charging me for messages that are encoded to the point i cant even read them or see the # from which they came? It will be like the "no call list" all over again.

Roller
Dec 12, 2006, 10:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_card

More likely paper tape - the "holes" in punch cards were rectangular, but the ones on paper tape were round. Either way, ancient history to someone born in 1992. :)

SactoGuy18
Dec 12, 2006, 10:36 PM
I personally think if Apple does delay the iPhone, they're doing it to accommodate Cingular and T-Mobile (the two major GSM providers in the USA). This means Apple will roll out the iPhone probably in April 2007 in a cross-promotion with both Cingular and T-Mobile.

Maestro64
Jan 17, 2007, 09:48 AM

On the other hand... if Apple IS able to strike such a deal with Verizon, wouldn't that make the iPhone that much more attractive than the other brands Verizon offers...?

The only problem with this is Verizon will not do this to their other supplier since most of them provide more then phones, they provide the network equipment too and usually do a bundle deal, like discounts on infastrucure equipment if Verizon agrees to buy and sell so many cell phones. Apple only sells a phone and most of Verizon's operation expense is in the network not the phones that give away.