PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace my Mac G5 with a Mac Pro




kmaultsby
Dec 12, 2006, 05:25 PM
I am getting ready to purchase my a new HD camcorder maybe the Canon AH-1 anyway jumping from PC to mac not to long ago I was wondering is it a good Idea to switch from my G5 2.33gHz duel to the new Mac Pro with the intel chip? Just would like some opinions.:)



psychofreak
Dec 12, 2006, 05:26 PM
That depends, do you find your G5 too slow. If not, then its not worth the upgrade.

trainguy77
Dec 12, 2006, 05:27 PM
Well what applications will you be using? Are they universal? Also do you think its worth the money for the upgrade? Is your current system too slow for you? I would probably stick with the current system for atleast another year.

Sawtoothdude
Dec 12, 2006, 05:30 PM
I would stay with PowerPC just because I love PPC and i'm not ready to switch back to an intel based machine yet. But that's my opinion. If you have the later G5 it should perform just as well as the Mac Pros.

trainguy77
Dec 12, 2006, 05:35 PM
I would stay with PowerPC just because I love PPC and i'm not ready to switch back to an intel based machine yet. But that's my opinion. If you have the later G5 it should perform just as well as the Mac Pros.

Well if the program is UB then the mac pro will out perform it.

CanadaRAM
Dec 12, 2006, 05:35 PM
Pro. 4 internal SATA drives vs. 2. Faster processing for Apple applications. Possibility still of getting a decent reale price on the G5 (not so much in a coupla months when the Adobe suite will be Universal).

Con. New machine will cost a bundle for RAM.

Macintosh Sauce
Dec 12, 2006, 05:45 PM
I would get the Mac Pro, and sell your G5 while you can get the most money for it in the used Mac market.

I got lucky when I sold my old Power Mac G4 (dual 1.25 GHz MDD) on eBay for $1000. That helped me a lot in getting my new Mac Pro, and I do not regret making the move at all. This computer is the bomb!

Don't forget... When Mac OS X 10.5 is released, it will be a full 64-bit OS - the Mac Pro is actually going to be faster than with 10.4.

kmaultsby
Dec 12, 2006, 05:58 PM
I will be using this for final cut pro which is universal also with I life and Microsoft office

sohosid
Dec 14, 2006, 07:37 PM
Should you switch?

Only you can answer that.

You have to decide if the extra outlay now is worth it. Running FCP, it will be faster. But you need to balance the extra speed with the cost of the upgrade. G5s can still command a decent second hand price, but not that great. That's why I just bought one instead of a Mac Pro. I got a G5 AND a monitor for around half the price of a Mac Pro on it's own. For me, using mainly Photoshop, Lightroom etc, the extra speed doensn't justify the cost. Today. It might in a year or so.

Mike.

FF_productions
Dec 14, 2006, 08:10 PM
If you got the money for a Mac Pro, then get one.

I really don't see a reason to get one, the G5's are plenty fast, but if you'd like to future proof yourself, get an Intel.

CanadaRAM
Dec 14, 2006, 08:15 PM
I will be using this for final cut pro which is universal also with I life and Microsoft office

Yes.

QCassidy352
Dec 14, 2006, 09:03 PM
Do you really need the speed increase? A dual G5 is still an extremely capable machine.

Cromulent
Dec 14, 2006, 10:08 PM
While the G5 might be fast, you also get the advantage of being able to run Windows on the Mac Pro which is pretty good if you ever need to test things in Windows (or play games).

cynerjist
Dec 14, 2006, 10:38 PM
If you keep the G5 much longer, you might as well keep for at least another year or more. Because like the others are saying, the resale will plummet with 10.5 and the Adobe releases coming up. And you won't want to resell when that happens, you will not get much (market will flood with people that were waiting to sell) and you will have to add alot more $.

If it were me, I would sell the G5 now and get as much as I could. Assuming you have the funds available, that is the cheapest way for you to get into a Mac Pro