PDA

View Full Version : More iPhone Details - $599 4GB and $649 8GB? [Updated]

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Dec 13, 2006, 03:24 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca F Runkle (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061213/apple_mover.html?.v=1) has "high conviction" that the iPhone will launch in the first half of 2007. In addition to this, she cites unnamed sources to provide some specs for the unreleased Apple phone:

- $599 for 4GB
- $649 for 8GB
- Wider than the iPod nano
- Thinner than the iPod Video
- Made of Metal
- Multiple colors, but at least including black, white, and silver
- Cingular Wireless is likely carrier in the U.S.
Clarification (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2305) : Runkle actually claimed: "full screen LCD; 3.5 inch (28x21)" and approximately 4/10ths of an inch thick. Also incorporates a Virtual Click wheel.

The proposed prices of the iPhone are much higher than the only previous rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061203094854.shtml) which pointed to $249 and $449 4GB and 8GB models.

Historically we have little record of Rebecca F Runkle's previous accuracy. Previous descriptions of the Apple Phone have described it as a candy bar form factor (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060913215342.shtml).

pcmeissner
Dec 13, 2006, 03:27 PM
a little steep for me

pknz
Dec 13, 2006, 03:28 PM
White AND Silver?

Xavier
Ya.. i dont buy it

and wouldnt

Might as well just get a computer at that point

SimonTheSoundMa
How much? £120 more I could buy a iMac.

lorductape
Dec 13, 2006, 03:29 PM
these prices are off the charts

no one would buy it, as cool as it would be

of course, people said the same about iPod g1, but 650????? is s. jobs crazy??

stevehp
Dec 13, 2006, 03:30 PM
I don't buy it either.

Way too expensive. Maybe they are banking on mail-in-rebate systems like other manufacturers...So maybe they will have 200 dollar rebate promotions or something. Seems pretty steep though.

Squonk
Dec 13, 2006, 03:30 PM
Although this price seems high, the previously rumored price was way too low to be believable. Maybe the 249 price was with a contract?

Cingular would be good for me since that is where I am right now. Coverage is average here in the burbs of Atlanta.

WildCowboy
Dec 13, 2006, 03:31 PM
Even with a significant discount for signing a contract, I doubt it would be in my price range. Get the low end down to $200-$250 with a 2-3 year contract and I'd likely buy...these prices won't get me there.

gauchogolfer
of course, people said the same about iPod g1, but 650????? is s. jobs crazy??

More likely the 'analyst' is crazy.

Spanky Deluxe
$649?? Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick with my Nokia.

sartinsauce
Dec 13, 2006, 03:32 PM
Wow! Expensive. I mean, that is in line with retail for a well-designed, high-end phone, but still...

Maybe those are number for Barbados dollars, or better yet, Eastern Carribean Dollars.

It would have to work really effing well for me to pay $400 more than a 4GB Nano...

chrisdazzo
Dec 13, 2006, 03:32 PM
...insane.

there is NO WAY apple would sell a phone for that much. nobody would buy it.

i am so confused now, with all these differentiating rumors about the iphone. they're too far apart. :confused:

.Andy
Dec 13, 2006, 03:33 PM
I give the analyst credit for her name alone.

rtdunham
Dec 13, 2006, 03:34 PM
those specs--the 3.5" screen, wider than a nano, thinner than a vid iPod, could legitimately be specs for a new gen iPod, and the higher prices would be for the models with phone functionality as well. Ya think?

Besides, i think people are forgetting how expensive some phones are if not bought with a contract. Treos have ranged around 499, for example. Maybe other readers can give examples for other quality phones.

ipacmm
My guess would be the $599 and $649 is the price with no contract or an unlocked version. It really isn't too bad for an unlocked phone. I am sure it will be cheaper on Cingular with contract.

thejadedmonkey
Helllll no! I have $150 saved up, and I can get between $100 -$150 from my parents for the holidays for the iPhone, so that's $300 including tax, maybe I can scrape together a little more, but hell no! My current phone cost $300 (I paid $50 with a 2 yr. contract) and it was brand new when I got it.

P.S. The only way I could see this working is if Apple became an IMMO or whatever they're called where they rent the bandwith from another company, and the $600 and $650 price points were with two years of service or something.

Squonk
Dec 13, 2006, 03:35 PM
i am so confused now, with all these differentiating rumors about the iphone. they're too far apart. :confused:

Right. These are all just rumors so who knows... Maybe this rumor is a smoke screen from Steve's RDF. :D

aristobrat
Dec 13, 2006, 03:36 PM
Non-discounted smartphones from most carriers can be that expensive, but with a contract renewal or for a new line of service, they're *significantly* less expensive.

I wouldn't see why the iPhone would be any different.

xenotaku
Dec 13, 2006, 03:37 PM
wow, i totally sent in this story, that is so cool. In other news...I also think the price is too high, doing a simple search on the internet, you can find that average price for a high end smart phone is 200-400. If apple offers new stuff that is not available anywhere else, a higher price point would be alright, but it has to be revolutionary.

Dec 13, 2006, 03:38 PM
wow, if I were to buy it where would I take it? I mean it would become the hottest item to steal!

I hope, as others have said, either the analyst off or that's for an unlocked new iPod with phone functionality.

MattyMac
Dec 13, 2006, 03:39 PM
The price isn't phasing me...I've been anticipating this phone for soooo long, at this point I don't care what it costs. I WILL BUY:D

failsafe1
Dec 13, 2006, 03:41 PM
$$yikes$$

thejadedmonkey
The price isn't phasing me...I've been anticipating this phone for soooo long, at this point I don't care what it costs. I WILL BUY:D

I think you're in the minority with that attitude MattyMac.

Compile 'em all
too expensive for me :(

xfiftyfour
Dec 13, 2006, 03:43 PM
way too expensive to justify spending on a phone. i don't care if it's made by apple.. that's crazy much. hopefully cingular will offer a steep discount...

xenotaku
Dec 13, 2006, 03:44 PM
:rolleyes: go look at cnets list of smartphones. Without contracts, phones range from 200 to 2500. If the phone is a 'smartphone' this is a reasonable price point.

amoda
Dec 13, 2006, 03:44 PM
This has to be the prices for the phones without contract. If so it's not that bad, if that's not the case then Apple will have a rough season ahead.

For no-contract phones the price isn't that bad. For example on ebay the Nokia 8800 is varying in price from 500 to $800 canadian. The N93 easily hits the $800 dollar mark. The lowest N93 "buy it now" is $817 with the highest being $913.

So even $649 would seem reasonable when comparing them to other high end , no-contract, phones.

bbydon
Dec 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
She is full of $#!*
I don't know one analyst that has ever gotten a rumor right.

They got no clue and no insider info. I don't know why we even give them cred.

Clive At Five
Dec 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
Maybe those are number for Barbados dollars, or better yet, Eastern Carribean Dollars.

...or yen! :eek:

:p

Really though... why would there only be a $50 difference between the 4GB and 8GB? That seems that if they were going to gouge $599 for a 4GB PhonePod, they would surely gouge at least an additional $100 for double the capacity...

I give this one a 1/10.

-Clive

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 03:50 PM
:rolleyes: go look at cnets list of smartphones. Without contracts, phones range from 200 to 2500. If the phone is a 'smartphone' this is a reasonable price point.

Considering Apple caters to the prosumer/consumer, and not the enterprise market I hope the phone is a consumer/prosumer phone too, and not a big bad thing.

However, after sticker shock is wearing off, I can see this... Apple needs something to push their products back into the elitest category. Even their higher prices of the MB and MBP aren't working anymore, and if they're not careful they run the risk of becoming just as popular as Dell, and not just a "think Different" company.

This better be one hell of a phone if they expect it to sell for $600.

quicksilverpdx
Dec 13, 2006, 03:51 PM
Wouldnt you think that since apple is getting away from the "i" nomenclature, they would call it a Macphone or something! Also I wounder if this will incorprate any pda "LIKE" fetures and when we can expect to see it?

shadowmoses
Dec 13, 2006, 03:52 PM
the iPhone defiantly will not at that price point, well at least I hope!!!! the other specs seem pretty cool though, unfortunately I don't see this rumor as very accurate at all.....

SHadoW

nplima
Dec 13, 2006, 03:52 PM
US$600 is steep but makes sense. High end phones from Nokia, SonyEricsson, Samsung, etc.. with music player and no hard drive cost that kind of money, or even more if you count PDA-turned-into-phones like the HTC and the iPaq...
IMHO this makes sense because bundling iPod with a phone cannot possibly convey a message to the market like "the music bit on this phone comes bundled for free"... who would ever buy a new iPod if that were true? people who cannot have phones with them while listening to music? No, that's too limited. iPod and iPhone must be priced in a way that they don't kill each other.

At this price range, it becomes clearer that iPhone is most likely a smartphone. if it were just a music player with phone it would cost twice as much as a Nokia 5300...
Personally I was hoping for a plain phone with music player and iSync for contacts and calendar, at about EUR200. I'll just wait and see if this rumour is right, I'm sure there will be plenty more :)

reno
Dec 13, 2006, 03:53 PM
maybe she got the specs right, but i think she's off on the prices. there's only a $50 difference between the two models?! for double the amount of GB!!? that just does not make sense.

the prices are also high, even considering that carriers will likely offer discounts with service plans. apple must know that people will want to buy the phone mid plan and will not fork over such big bucks.

overall, i think this chic has had a cell phone too close to her head for too long! :)

cloudnine
I don't buy it either.

Way too expensive. Maybe they are banking on mail-in-rebate systems like other manufacturers...So maybe they will have 200 dollar rebate promotions or something. Seems pretty steep though.

I think what everyone is forgetting is that Apple is probably going to (mind you, this is if this whole thing happens with Apple only going with a single provider or two instead of selling it only at the store) make a deal with Cingular (or whoever) where the mobile company will sell the phone at a HUGE discount for those people signing up with new contracts or contract renewals...

So... even with prices like $700 and $500, with contract renewals or new contracts, customers will probably be able to get the phone for somewhere like $400 or $250, respectively.

Still... I'm hoping that Apple will keep the price reasonable (like they've been consistently doing with the last few iPod models and computers they've released) and sell it at the store as opposed to through a wireless retailer like Cingular.

Mind you, I'm biased since I have T-Mobile... :P

PODshady
Yeah it should be WAY cheeper when you upgrade or sign a new contract.... when the motoRAZR came out the full price (without contract) was $500 so this is typical.

czardmitri
I hope this is wrong. I HAVE an iPod (60 gig w/video). I don't want to play music on my phone. I just want a phone.

If it's a great phone, just happens to play music, and doesn't cost $650... maybe.

generationxwing
Dec 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
Those prices are about what can be expected for what's going to be an extremely high end cell phone. Like someone else said, the prices you see most phones for are highly discounted by mobile carriers. Even signing up without a contract, you get a slight discount off the phone's actual cost. The companies make up the cost later on your monthly bill.

If these prices are accurate, that would be what phone companies would pay to be able to sell them to you. There's nothing surprising there.

quicksilverpdx
Dec 13, 2006, 03:55 PM
US$600 is steep but makes sense. High end phones from Nokia, SonyEricsson, Samsung, etc.. with music player and no hard drive cost that kind of money, or even more if you count PDA-turned-into-phones like the HTC and the iPaq...
IMHO this makes sense because bundling iPod with a phone cannot possibly convey a message to the market like "the music bit on this phone comes bundled for free"... who would ever buy a new iPod if that were true? people who cannot have phones with them while listening to music? No, that's too limited. iPod and iPhone must be priced in a way that they don't kill each other.

At this price range, it becomes clearer that iPhone is most likely a smartphone. if it were just a music player with phone it would cost twice as much as a Nokia 5300...
Personally I was hoping for a plain phone with music player and iSync for contacts and calendar, at about EUR200. I'll just wait and see if this rumour is right, I'm sure there will be plenty more :)

Look at the slvr, rokr and the new generations of the razr! No body really bought them for itunes, more their looks and style! I love my slvr and think it was very cool to intergrate both a phone and ipod!

quigleybc
Dec 13, 2006, 03:56 PM
I'm a fan boy, and I obsess over apple stuff as much as the next nut. But for that much loot, the phone better

-pour me a drink
-get me groceries
-pay me a salary
-digitally record and backup tv shows
-pet my cat
-walk
-find me better jobs and apartments
-discover new music that I would like
-place and accept phone calls
-and suddenly transform into a MBP

coumerelli
Dec 13, 2006, 03:56 PM
[snip]... but it has to be revolutionary.

Apple revolutionary?

...nah.

/sarcasm :rolleyes:

Bubbajim
Dec 13, 2006, 03:57 PM
Let's try to remember who Apple wants to target their phone at and then come up with a number. I did that and I came up with $199. Now factor in that Apple always seems to be a premium when it comes to similar priced items, so bump that up to $249 or even $299. That seems quite reasonable for their low end phone. If it's anymore higher than that, it's a flop no matter how you look at it. No way can they be serious to think that a new iPhone +$300 can survive in the market with what is out there and what is coming out there soon. Again this is for their entry level phone.

Apple is new to this market and the only way into it is to make a phone that is reasonable in price for the mass market is to price it right and make sure they hit the right group.

Now for the higher end phone...Considering I just bought a smartphone full price for over $400 I can't be much to judge what Apple marks up on their phones, but again I'm not the group Apple should be aiming for on the low end, maybe I'm in the higher end for the 8GB model. The higher group should be like $399 or $449.

Either way, I guess we'll all see when the time is right... only Steve knows that at this point in time.

arn
Dec 13, 2006, 04:00 PM
for reference and Treo 700p is $649 or so without service. Goes as far down as $299 with service.

arn

miketcool
Apple is making a phone!

Lame, analysts specualtions arent front page news. There are so many rumors that there needs to be a new tab at the top.

Mac Rumors :: Page 2 :: Stupid iPhone

MovieCutter
I'm a fan boy, and I obsess over apple stuff as much as the next nut. But for that much loot, the phone better

-pour me a drink
-get me groceries
-pay me a salary
-digitally record and backup tv shows
-pet my cat
-walk
-find me better jobs and apartments
-discover new music that I would like
-place and accept phone calls
-and suddenly transform into a MBP

For that price, that phone better get ITSELF a job to pay for itself. I can think of a few other things that phone could do to make it worth it too...:cool:

brad.c
Dec 13, 2006, 04:02 PM
Yikes. Think of the stories of people dropping their phones in the pool, having them stolen, etc. Now think of the prices again. I know there's a market for these things, but I'm just too clumsy for that price range.

Flowbee
Dec 13, 2006, 04:02 PM
There's another report today that Apple will launch thier own MVNO wireless service in ‘07:

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/22383

UBS telecom analyst John Hodulik today asserts that Apple is going to start an MVNO, buying wholesale capacity from Cingular. “We believe the company will enter the domestic wireless services market” as an MVNO, he wrote in a note this morning. “If followed, this strategy would appear to indicate Apple’s increasing desire for customer control, and potentially, store traffic. We believe if volume had been the most important variable, Apple would work with all the major vendors in the U.S. to support its new iPod phone (iPhone), enabling it to target the heart of the 225 [million] domestic wireless users.”

davede70
Dec 13, 2006, 04:03 PM
This price point is insane for a phone. If this device could be both a true video ipod, a phone, and a palm pilot it would be worth that price. If not, I'll stick to a cheap phone and a 80gig video ipod.

spyderracer393
Dec 13, 2006, 04:03 PM
I don't buy it either.

I would say definitely not mail in rebates...not Apple's style. (yes, I know, they always have the back to school rebate, but that is different...it's a promotion) Although I have a feeling these prices are inaccurate, if they are, this is probably the unlocked price -- with a contract it would at least cut the price in half

my two cents

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 04:04 PM
There's another report today that Apple will launch thier own MVNO wireless service in ‘07:

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/22383

So that $600 is with 2 years of service for free than, right?

cloudnine
Dec 13, 2006, 04:05 PM
Apple is new to this market and the only way into it is to make a phone that is reasonable in price for the mass market is to price it right and make sure they hit the right group.

I don't know, I have to admit that while the thought of dropping $600 to $700 for a phone is absolutely ridiculous to me, I also secretly kind of enjoy the thought of it. Remember when having a cell phone was "something special"? It was a huge deal to pull out that brick of a Motorola phone out and make a call? Apple has that same sense of "specialness" to me... always has, and hopefully always will. It would be nice to bring that uniqueness back in a cellphone (that is not only cool in way of appearance, but the fact that it'll sync with our Macs flawlessly)... and is something I'm willing to pay a bit more for...

dashiel
Dec 13, 2006, 04:05 PM
it seems like only yesterday "$399 for a music player. pffft they'll never sell them. i can buy a 20gig archos for less than that."

these prices are completely inline with mid-to-high end phones. a smart phone is going to set you back $300-$600 these days (unlocked). while my slvr (unlocked) set me back $300 earlier this year.

dollystereo
Dec 13, 2006, 04:06 PM
Please apple dont get in the cell phone market, there are already good companies in there, motorola, sony, nokia.
We dont need apple in there, either and apple ipod+phone thing anyway.

MacVault
Dec 13, 2006, 04:06 PM
HAAAA! For that price it better make love to me, have my children, and control gravity, space and time!

Cinch
Dec 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
I said a month ago that Apple would go this route, catering to the high end market i.e. people with disposable income. If it is compelling, I will get one. Remember guys, it is the style that makes a cellphone, not the endless amount of accessories that is cram into it.

Cinch

Le Big Mac
Dec 13, 2006, 04:09 PM
This has to be the prices for the phones without contract. If so it's not that bad, if that's not the case then Apple will have a rough season ahead.

I agree with that--if you look at hte prices of higher-end multi-feature phones, this isn't too far above that. Presumably you're getting more.

Of course, if they are the real prices, I can't see it being a hot seller.

Frozonecold
Dec 13, 2006, 04:12 PM
I said a month ago that Apple would go this route, catering to the high end market i.e. people with disposable income. If it is compelling, I will get one. Remember guys, it is the style that makes a cellphone, not the endless amount of accessories that is cram into it.

Cinch
Unless the accessories are very good, and make the phone as must buy.

kresh
Dec 13, 2006, 04:13 PM

Cinch

But at these prices are there enough affluent buyers so will they sell the rumored intial run of 12 million handsets?

mmmcheese
Dec 13, 2006, 04:15 PM
But at these prices are there enough affluent buyers so will they sell the rumored intial run of 12 million handsets?

Maybe the celebs will latch onto them to replace their crackberries.

cloudnine
Dec 13, 2006, 04:16 PM
HAAAA! For that price it better make love to me, have my children, and control gravity, space and time!

I kinda have to wonder the general age of posters on this board. I mean, yeah, it's kind of expensive, but we all have jobs, and we all have Macs. Apple computers, either desktops or notebooks, aren't the cheapest pieces of equipment on the planet, so do you expect them to make a cheap phone? Especially on their first go-ahead at it? Think of how much it's going to help people like me and a ton of others who have blackberries, nokias, motorolas, who wish they could sync their email, calendars, contacts... and maybe music, photos, tasks.

So yeah, besides the convenience it will add for all the mac users out there who depend on their phone for vital information, we all know it'll be a quality phone that just looks really frickin' cool... :P We can spare half a week's pay or so for it... unless you're still living with your parents, in which case... start begging :P

Cinch
Dec 13, 2006, 04:16 PM

Were you a former Dell employee? Presently?:rolleyes:

kresh
Dec 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
Were you a former Dell employee? Presently?:rolleyes:

No, but I am in the cellular industy, it's in my profile :)

JARS
Dec 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
Even if it is unlocked it is still very expensive. I wonder what sort o features these phones will have because you can get a Treo 680 smartphone which pretty much does everything in a small package for 200 USD with a cingular contract. That looks like a better deal than this Iphone at this point unless it will allow you to view documents and have wireless internet capability along with its huge disk space.

twoodcc
Dec 13, 2006, 04:19 PM
a little steep for me

me too. i really don't believe those prices....

Frozonecold
Dec 13, 2006, 04:20 PM
Maybe the celebs will latch onto them to replace their crackberries.

That is an effective form of advertising, in my opinion.

IDANNY
Dec 13, 2006, 04:23 PM
I kinda have to wonder the general age of posters on this board. I mean, yeah, it's kind of expensive, but we all have jobs, and we all have Macs. Apple computers, either desktops or notebooks, aren't the cheapest pieces of equipment on the planet, so do you expect them to make a cheap phone? Especially on their first go-ahead at it? Think of how much it's going to help people like me and a ton of others who have blackberries, nokias, motorolas, who wish they could sync their email, calendars, contacts... and maybe music, photos, tasks.

So yeah, besides the convenience it will add for all the mac users out there who depend on their phone for vital information, we all know it'll be a quality phone that just looks really frickin' cool... :P We can spare half a week's pay or so for it... unless you're still living with your parents, in which case... start begging :P
I just spent 550 on the cingular 8525. I thought it was overpriced I wanted to check it out by the way i hate it and it going back. But if apple comes out with a phone I will scoop that up for sure even at these prices.

amac4me
Dec 13, 2006, 04:23 PM
Those price points would be too high for most consumers. I highly doubt that these prices are accurate.

Let's not forget that with the most recent iPod revisions Apple priced them to be more affordable. The same can be said about the new Intel based Macs, lower priced when compared to PPC Macs.

No way that Apple would go against the grain and price the phones so high.

DavidLeblond
Dec 13, 2006, 04:26 PM
Apple is reading all these comments saying "You know? Maybe we SHOULD start thinking about making a cell phone...."

Seriously all these rumors saying "no the price is gonna be this" "no no, it'll be higher than that" "Apple is charging HOW MUCH for a PHONE?????"

Its not confirmed they're even working on a phone. Kinda like how we were SURE they were going to release a PDA and how we had a release date in mind for a Widescreen Video iPod and an "Asteroid" audio thingamabob.

Cinch
Dec 13, 2006, 04:26 PM
No, but I am in the cellular industy, it's in my profile :)
Then you know much more than I do, about having style in this market. Without beautiful stylish phone, you are just another maker of cell phones that liters the landscape.

Even if it is unlocked it is still very expensive. I wonder what sort o features these phones will have because you can get a Treo 680 smartphone which pretty much does everything in a small package for 200 USD with a cingular contract. That looks like a better deal than this Iphone at this point unless it will allow you to view documents and have wireless internet capability along with its huge disk space.

The Treo 680 is simply not beautiful. If I have to guess what Steve Jobs and his top designers approach are to creating Apple product, the word beautiful has to be on the top of their minds.

Cinch

Cinch
Dec 13, 2006, 04:30 PM
The KRZR is the standard that Apple has to beat!

rtdunham
Dec 13, 2006, 04:30 PM
maybe she got the specs right, but i think she's off on the prices. there's only a $50 difference between the two models?! for double the amount of GB!!? that just does not make sense.

actually it makes perfect sense: the difference in price between the 4GB Nano and 8GB Nano is....ta da!!!! $50.

There's no reason the difference would be greater for the extra storage just because it's in a phone instead of a music player.

QCassidy352
Dec 13, 2006, 04:31 PM
well, if that's the price before a contract, that's reasonable. I mean, that probably comes down to $200 or less with a 2 year contract. Wasn't the RAZR something similar when it came out?

Thataboy
Dec 13, 2006, 04:32 PM
Those are relatively reasonable prices for the smartphone version. After all, a Treo costs that much and doesn't have 4 or 8 GB of hard drive, nor iPod functionality, and it is thick and ugly and uses crappyPalm or crappyWindows.

To be a reasonable entry in this price category, it'll definitely need bluetooth, qwerty, a camera, and an OS that lets developers right software. Preferably built-in MS Office and PDF readers, Safari Mini, email, iChat, etc.

I would definitely consider it to replace my Treo 700p. Of course, a major con is Cingular. Service is way too expensive and slow. I get pretty much unlimited everything and power vision with Sprint, plus insurance, for less than $50 inclusive. It would probably cost more than double on Cingular.

iW00t
Won't buy.

So the flash memory is built into the phone and not user replaceable with SD cards or memory sticks?

No deal Apple.

DTphonehome
To everyone complaining or in shock about these prices, I invite you to go look up what a high-end UNLOCKED phone costs, out of contract. Nearly all of them fall into the $500-800 bracket. These prices are much more believable than the last rumor's 249 and 449, and are perfectly reasonable (assuming a full feature set).

If Apple becomes an MVNO and ties these phones to contract, the cost to user will be much less than the full retail. Likewise if these are offered by traditional US carriers.

And to those who say "for $x more, I can have a mac!", go ahead and buy a mac. And a backpack for it, and an IP headset, and make sure you're in WiFi range whenever you want to make a phone call. That's at least as convenient as a cell phone, right?

siurpeeman
wow, and i thought the playstation 3 was expensive.:eek:

sivancotel
Dec 13, 2006, 04:33 PM
Wouldnt you think that since apple is getting away from the "i" nomenclature, they would call it a Macphone or something! Also I wounder if this will incorprate any pda "LIKE" fetures and when we can expect to see it?

well, we might find that the simpler model is the iPhone, and the pro model with a full QWERTY thumb keyboard is the MacPhone.

bigmc6000
well, if that's the price before a contract, that's reasonable. I mean, that probably comes down to $200 or less with a 2 year contract. Wasn't the RAZR something similar when it came out?

It sure was - and that'd be awesome for me. My company gets a 50% discount from the regular public price on phones and a bonus $25 when getting a new phone - :-D

gauriemma
Who the hell is going to pay $649 for a cell phone? Either these guys are way off base, or Steve Jobs has been smoking the curtains.

slffl
Dec 13, 2006, 04:34 PM
Why is everyone so surprised at these prices? The just released Samsung BlackJack is $499. These prices don't surprise me at all. You will probably get them at the Kevin Rose prices after signing a lame contract.

page3
Dec 13, 2006, 04:35 PM
Please apple dont get in the cell phone market, there are already good companies in there, motorola, sony, nokia.

You've got to be kidding? There isn't a single phone out there with a decent OS so the market is ripe for picking. £300-£400 non-contract sounds cheap so would sell well here around the £150 mark on contract.

Lets have a phone with a decent OS. It all went horribly wrong since Psion left the scene...

cloudnine
Won't buy.

So the flash memory is built into the phone and not user replaceable with SD cards or memory sticks?

No deal Apple.

You're kidding me... that would actually be a deal breaker for you? 4 or 8gb internal storage and you're upset that you can't replace it? Give me a break...

DTphonehome
Won't buy.

No deal Apple.

You hear that, Steve? Better call off the project. iW00t doesn't want to buy it, so it will clearly be a dismal failure. :rolleyes:

Antares
Dec 13, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm game. That price might be good. I just want Sprint or T-Mobile options...

pahladaan
Dec 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
These specs seem bogus.

Metal casing in white color?? Huh? Are they going to spray paint over metal to get white color phones?

Also, only 50 dollars difference between the 2 models seems incorrect.

DTphonehome
Who the hell is going to pay $649 for a cell phone?

Pretty much anyone who buys high-end phones out of contract.

Benjamindaines
I refuse to pay $500 dollars for a phone, let alone switch carriers.

Doctor Q
Dec 13, 2006, 04:38 PM
Very clever, Apple. Purposely leak a rumor with prices that might scare off some potential buyers, then bring out the products next year with cheaper prices, e.g., $499 and $549. People will then consider them a bargain, and snap them up.

DavidLeblond
Dec 13, 2006, 04:39 PM

Apple computers are Macs. The iPhone is not an Apple computer, just like the iPod is not an Apple computer.

supermacdesign
Dec 13, 2006, 04:40 PM
Look I love Mac, I've got to desktop machines and 3 iPods in my house but there is no way in hell I would pay $649 for something that takes as much abuse as a cell phone. A premium price should be at most, $399.

I agree with a previous poster, this could a leak designed to throw us off and gather some feedback from the community.

rtdunham
Dec 13, 2006, 04:41 PM
I get pretty much unlimited everything and power vision with Sprint, plus insurance, for less than $50 inclusive.

As a sprint customer i find this hard to believe. Can you be specific and back up your claim? thanks.

cloudnine
Dec 13, 2006, 04:42 PM
These specs seem bogus.

Metal casing in white color?? Huh? Are they going to spray paint over metal to get white color phones?

One word... anodized.

DavidLeblond
Dec 13, 2006, 04:43 PM
These specs seem bogus.

iPod Nano?

gauriemma
Dec 13, 2006, 04:45 PM

I'm 40. Married, two kids, mortgage. My Dual 1GhZ G4 PowerMac is four years old, my iBook is a year and a half old, my iPod is two years old. And I'm not spending $650 on a phone.

Multimedia
I'm not changing carriers.

gnasher729

$50 is the price difference between 4GB Nano and 8GB Nano. Why should there be more difference between 4GB iPhone and 8GB iPhone?

"Twice as much" doesn't matter, what matters is how much more benefit I get. My 4 GB iPod holds forty hours of music, which means I have to attach it to the Mac once a month to swap music over before it repeats. With 8 GB, the time between swaps is two months. So 8 GB saves me attaching the iPod to the Mac six times in a year. How much is that worth?

joeshell383
Dec 13, 2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah it should be WAY cheeper when you upgrade or sign a new contract.... when the motoRAZR came out the full price (without contract) was $500 so this is typical.

Actually, that was the price WITH contract:
http://cingular.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=825

The Motorola RAZR V3 is available now for $499.99 with a two-year contract
at all Cingular retail and online locations. For more information, please
visit http://www.hellomoto.com or http://www.cingular.com .

I'm sure this was well thought out and will work out. I mean, the 8GB Nanos go for $250, so a phone would have to cost at least a few hundred more, especially at the start. If they start too low, they'll have nowhere to go... plus the carriers will likely subsidize some of the cost, and they're testing the market... maybe some will buy at that price before it drops, just like the RAZR early adopters.

pahladaan
Dec 13, 2006, 04:47 PM
One word... anodized.

Anodized still won't give you pure white. And Apple will also have Silver? Hmm...

I am still suspicious about these specs. Plus the price is too high for Apple to compete unless it is a True Video iPod as well -- due to the large screen.

gugy
Dec 13, 2006, 04:47 PM
too expensive.
It won't sell well.
This woman is full of Bullsh•t!
The iPhone needs to be price at $200 to start and maybe $400 at the most for the smart phone top of the line.

roland.g
Dec 13, 2006, 04:48 PM
3.5" Screen. Seems a little big, unless they are really going for that treo/blackjack/Q form factor.

gugy
Dec 13, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'm not changing carriers.

I feel the same way, but if the iPhone is really cool I might think twice. I just hope Cingular is not the carrier. Then I would not switch.

Thataboy
Dec 13, 2006, 04:50 PM
As a sprint customer i find this hard to believe. Can you be specific and back up your claim? thanks.

Google SERO.

Even without SERO, Sprint is still by far the cheapest.

DTphonehome
Dec 13, 2006, 04:50 PM
The iPhone needs to be price at $200 to start and maybe $400 at the most for the smart phone top of the line.

Have you ever priced out a cell phone out of contract? I didn't think so.

ChrisA
Dec 13, 2006, 04:53 PM
Can't find the thread so I can't quote myself but I predicted $500 for the entry level phone. Apple is not going for the low-end low profit part of the market
Apple needs to have people think of the iPhone is the Rolls Royce of cell phones at least at first They price it out of reach of most buyers so that it will be the phone that people want. Later the price will come down but the preception amoung buys will remain that iPhone is the best premium service

Also they may intentionally be pricing it high to curb demand. Apple will need to build a service organization and these are hard to grow fast. They can use price to control the rate of growth

There are plenty of people who can afford to drop $600 on one of these. Apple is a California company. Houses up in their area start at about $1M. It's the same down here in So. Calif around the beach areas. A lot of people and most households have over $100K/yr income. Lot of people can afford this. But how many will buy is a good question.

My guess is that these new iPhones will do something no other phone can do. Some kind of very close integration with mac OSX Leopard. No one but Apple can do the Leopard tie-in so they will be able to charge a premium price. My guess is "moble iChat". Maybe cals to a computer will be concidered "in network" and will be free. Don't know but you can bet on a strong tie-in to leopard. This is one of Steve's "super secret features". The iPhone and leoplard to be released togethere.

Me? No way do I want one of these. I have the $100 per year t-moble prepaid plan and make about 2 phone calls a week.

mistergsf
Dec 13, 2006, 04:55 PM
I don't know how Apple could ever choose Cingular. They are consistently ranked poorly in customer service; I KNOW! I am currently with Verizon and although they are not perfect either, customer service has been superior based on my own experiences. If Cingular is the carrier, I would have to pass on the "iPhone". Too bad.

gugy
Dec 13, 2006, 04:56 PM
Have you ever priced out a cell phone out of contract? I didn't think so.

Yes, I did and that's why I have a 2 years contract with Verizon that's expiring in March. But still if Apple wants to sell this stand alone to be use on all carriers or most of it, they have to price it very aggressively. IF NOT then the phone needs to be subsidized by the carriers and then locking you in a contract.
Very few people would pay more than what this analyst is predicting and on top of that get lock in a contract. If that's the case, I don't see much success on this product.

apachie2k
Dec 13, 2006, 04:57 PM
it is because of inflation ahahhahaa
so we can all afford it now, cause it's really not THAT expensive
jk...i'll wait till the price comes down, like the wii... can anyone find it for the 250 its supposed to cost??

zap2
I hope not...Cingular only would be bad for me, and those price tags would put it out of SO many people's range.....the other 249 and 449 rumor was by someone who called the Nano out of nowhere so I believe him(or maybe I just really like what he was saying)

Never the less I'd buy it!

Frozonecold
I feel the same way, but if the iPhone is really cool I might think twice. I just hope Cingular is not the carrier. Then I would not switch.
What is wrong with Cingular?

Cinch
Dec 13, 2006, 04:58 PM
I'm 40. Married, two kids, mortgage. My Dual 1GhZ G4 PowerMac is four years old, my iBook is a year and a half old, my iPod is two years old. And I'm not spending $650 on a phone.

Again I say, Apple is targeting people with disposable income you know those that won't hesitate to buy $250 pair of jeans.

Cinch

cecildk9999
Dec 13, 2006, 04:58 PM
Really though... why would there only be a $50 difference between the 4GB and 8GB? That seems that if they were going to gouge $599 for a 4GB PhonePod, they would surely gouge at least an additional $100 for double the capacity...

I give this one a 1/10.

-Clive

I agree with you on this one; especially with the other rumors we've been reading about Apple trying to 'differentiate' between a 4GB basic and 8GB 'smart' phone, this just seems too out there. Maybe the analyst just tacked on another $400 to the nano prices to estimate the cost of adding phone features.

Gosh
Dec 13, 2006, 04:59 PM
Wot no camra?

Steep prices could kil it off for good.

Informed, better off customers or Apple-addicts will pay more for something a bit nice but there are limits.

If SJ gets feed back from forums like this then: pull the product now you don't want a white elephant!

pahladaan
Dec 13, 2006, 05:01 PM
What about the sweet spot pricing that SJ talks about all the time. If 99 cents is a sweet spot pricing for songs then 200 to 300 is a sweet spot pricing for iPhone.

Or is it that everyone else's products can have low sweet spot where as Apple's products should sell at a premium?

gugy
Dec 13, 2006, 05:02 PM

I just hate them. I can get reception at my home and at my office, their service is really bad. I had then for 3 years and dropped it 2 years back. I still hear they still suck from friends.
I know that depends where you live. For some folks it works great. So I just hope Apple will have more than one carrier.

Esben
Dec 13, 2006, 05:03 PM
Can't find the thread so I can't quote myself but I predicted $500 for the entry level phone. Apple is not going for the low-end low profit part of the market
Apple needs to have people think of the iPhone is the Rolls Royce of cell phones at least at first They price it out of reach of most buyers so that it will be the phone that people want. Later the price will come down but the preception amoung buys will remain that iPhone is the best premium service

Also they may intentionally be pricing it high to curb demand. Apple will need to build a service organization and these are hard to grow fast. They can use price to control the rate of growth

There are plenty of people who can afford to drop $600 on one of these. Apple is a California company. Houses up in their area start at about $1M. It's the same down here in So. Calif around the beach areas. A lot of people and most households have over $100K/yr income. Lot of people can afford this. But how many will buy is a good question.

My guess is that these new iPhones will do something no other phone can do. Some kind of very close integration with mac OSX Leopard. No one but Apple can do the Leopard tie-in so they will be able to charge a premium price. My guess is "moble iChat". Maybe cals to a computer will be concidered "in network" and will be free. Don't know but you can bet on a strong tie-in to leopard. This is one of Steve's "super secret features". The iPhone and leoplard to be released togethere.

Me? No way do I want one of these. I have the $100 per year t-moble prepaid plan and make about 2 phone calls a week.

Sounds legit.
I buy the idea of tight integration with Leopard and a joint presentation when Leopard is launched about a month after MacWorld... It could be the One more thing...

Max Payne
Dec 13, 2006, 05:04 PM
The price is more like it. It looks fair to me. Sim free N91 when it was released was around £600.

mikes63737
Dec 13, 2006, 05:06 PM
This rumor sucks. Metal? Imagine how cold that will be to use during the winter while you're outside! The price is too high too. I would consider buying one for $300 or even $400, but not $600.

DTphonehome
Dec 13, 2006, 05:07 PM
But still if Apple wants to sell this stand alone to be use on all carriers or most of it, they have to price it very aggressively. IF NOT then the phone needs to be subsidized by the carriers and then locking you in a contract.
Very few people would pay more than what this analyst is predicting and on top of that get lock in a contract. If that's the case, I don't see much success on this product.

There's no way Apple can release a standalone phone and expect to compete with SUBSIDIZED carrier phones. Carriers take a loss on the phones to tie you into a contract. That's the only way it's profitable for them to offer such inexpensive phones. If Apple were to attempt to compete with subsidized phones, they would take a loss on each unit, and not have the revenue of offering service to offset the loss.

I still think an MVNO for Apple makes the most sense. They can offer all the features they want, with no carrier restrictions. And you can bet the carriers will want to restrict this, as it directly competes with their pay services. Plus, if Apple can sign you into a contract, they can subsidize the phone themselves and offer it for far less than 599 or 649.

DTphonehome
Dec 13, 2006, 05:08 PM
Metal? Imagine how cold that will be to use during the winter while you're outside!

No problem! It'll be powered by a G5 :)

petej
Dec 13, 2006, 05:11 PM
Unlike others, I actually like the idea of those price points. This would be especially compelling if Apple does engage the MVNO model. I particularly detest the current scam of mobile operators of charging huge monthly rentals solely to offset the actual cost of the initial phone purchase. In order to benefit from these current contracts, as users we should all renew our phone each year. Getting a new phone each year is bad for the environment and it also ends up costing extra anyhow.
If I can get a contract with an operator who charges 1 or 2 bucks a month line rental, competitive call pricing then I will happily pay the stated sum up front for the phone.
If I get 4 years use out of it I'll be thrilled.

One more thing: Apple better get a move on. Those Sony Erricson Walkman phones are multiplying rapidly. People are proudly displaying them and friends are cooing over them. Kids too are starting to turn against the uncool iPod (too common).

gugy
Dec 13, 2006, 05:11 PM
There's no way Apple can release a standalone phone and expect to compete with SUBSIDIZED carrier phones. Carriers take a loss on the phones to tie you into a contract. That's the only way it's profitable for them to offer such inexpensive phones. If Apple were to attempt to compete with subsidized phones, they would take a loss on each unit, and not have the revenue of offering service to offset the loss.

I still think an MVNO for Apple makes the most sense. They can offer all the features they want, with no carrier restrictions. And you can bet the carriers will want to restrict this, as it directly competes with their pay services. Plus, if Apple can sign you into a contract, they can subsidize the phone themselves and offer it for far less than 599 or 649.

sounds good then. What's MVNO?
I based my opinion on the fact that they will try to be stand alone. If not, I don't mind get stuck in a contract as long as the iPhone is good.
My concern is that hopefully they will offer it to more than one carrier. so we can choose which carrier is the best.

ipacmm
Dec 13, 2006, 05:12 PM
I think the main reason why it would be with Cingular would be because it is a GSM phone so in America, Cingular is the largest carrier and they would also offer an unlocked version for the rest of the world. Over making a CDMA one which will only be good with Sprint or Verizon and will leave everyone else out of the market.

asphalt-proof
Dec 13, 2006, 05:14 PM

I have to say that, IMHO you are so wrong, and I think all the buzz around this iPhone idea from within the Apple community and others in the industry support this. Cell phones interfaces are crap right now. They are unintuitive, fugly, and do a very poor job of integrating features that people really want. Cludge. Pure cludge. People want an alternative. Apple has not said one word about this product, yet their stock prices respond to every little rumor concerning this. Why? Because people hate their current cellphones are looking to Apple to make somethink that "just works."

As far as the price: I'm assuming that price she quotes is unlocked. That is about right or even less money for a typical smartphone. All I can say is that I hope it happens quickly. My Treo is starting to crash hourly. Treating it with kid gloves to make it last just a few more weeks.

DTphonehome
sounds good then. What's MVNO?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVNO

Google is your friend!

justflie
too expensive and boo cingular, yay verizon

mactoday
Dec 13, 2006, 05:15 PM
Rebecca made me laugh so hard :) 3.5" screen and 650 bucks :D Apple really not that crazy :) They will release a middle range price phone under $350. There is really no point for them to make a cool smartphone for tons of bucks. IMHO.

Frozonecold
Dec 13, 2006, 05:16 PM
too expensive and boo cingular, yay verizon

I have had nothing but problems with Verizon.

NewSc2
Dec 13, 2006, 05:17 PM
Too much? Palm Treos currently go for $500-600, but ~$200 after a 1-year contract. This will probably fall under the same category.

The Truth
Dec 13, 2006, 05:18 PM
3.5" screen? That is the current length of the nano. The details are all goofed up, it makes no sense.

SiliconAddict
Dec 13, 2006, 05:19 PM
Unless its a smartphone, with an Apple OS, and supports T-Mobile...pass.

The biggest stickler being Cingular. Ick^500

lmalave
Dec 13, 2006, 05:21 PM
These seem like the full retail prices. $649 is quite expensive, but a Samsung Blackjack is listed at full retail price for $449 on Cingular's website. With contract and rebate, the Blackjack comes down to $199. So by extension I expect the iPhone will be available for $300-$400 with contract.

Is that expensive? Sure - but it's only a little bit more than the $250 price for an iPod nano. I think this is carefully thought out. Apple is betting that there will be plenty of people that will rationalize their purchase by saying: "Well, with a 2-year contract the iPhone costs only a little bit more than an iPod nano, and for that extra bit of money I'm also getting a great phone and the convenience of not having to carry around two separate devices.

Speaking for myself, if the 8 GB iPhone is available at $400 or less with a 2-year contract, I will buy it. Especially if it has the features that this analyst is indicating. I mean, hello, 3.5" screen!!! That's gigantic and probably meant for watching streaming video or surfing the web on Cingular's 3G network...

Philberttheduck
Um, Rebecca.. your speculations are worth crap to me. I'm highly doubting your reports.

While 249 and 449 seemed too cheap to me, 599-649 is RIDICULOUS. Jobs isn't that stupid to release a product out of the majority of consumer's price range, with the other alternatives available at much cheaper (albeit not as sexy)

mjhamson
Everyone seems to be talking about the price point. But when you look at the product itself (beyond what each individual is willing to pull from their own pockets)... the price point is rather ambitious.

For example.. and what I consider will most likely be one of its primary competitors... compare the supposed iPhone to the Sony Ericsson W950. I just went to my local "major" store where it was selling for about $800. At the mphone site they list it at 379 sterling. The jest is... that phone with equal or supposed inferior quality and implementation is selling for more then the reported price points.

Also consider (as i hope apple does well) that the US market is a VERY tiny market for mobile phones. Why on earth would you really care what 5% (the size of the US market in 2006) of the world market thinks when over 50% of the market has already proven to be willing to pay for quality products.

letaalio
Dec 13, 2006, 05:22 PM
You Americans are too spoiled :). In Europe a sim-free smartphone would cost much more than 649$. It would be a bargain if it had 8GB of storage, Apple design and would cost 649 bucks! I mean, the 2.0GHz white MacBook will cost me ~1750$ with taxes included.

BTW I think in one of the gazillion iPhone threads someone said that Apple would revolutionize the mobile industry in the USA by selling the iPhone without a contract. These kinds of prices would be normal, if that happened.

bigmc6000
Dec 13, 2006, 05:27 PM

Out of all the carries Cingular does the least to hobble phones with sweet options. Example: I got a Sony Ericsson Z525a from Cingular - I sync it with my bluetooth powerbook, I put full songs on there and I can use them as rings tones. I connected to a friend who was t-mobile and he can get the songs but he can't use them as ring tones (lame!) then I tried connecting with 2 different Verizon customers - NOTHING. they both had bluetooth but Verizon wouldn't let the phone connect to anything other than an audio device for handfree useage. THAT'S PATHETIC. Just so you know I had Verizon for 3 years, Sprint for 3 years and am now with Cingular. Their customer service, IMO, is equivalent to Sprint. I liked Verizon's customer service more but the roll-over with Cingular is flat out great for me. Also - no one other than Cingular gets reception where I work so that's a no brainer...

robertnq
Dec 13, 2006, 05:29 PM
how can i justify this as a company expense??? :cool:

lorductape
Dec 13, 2006, 05:30 PM
no... it can't be... either jobs is losing it, or this analyst needs to have her head examined.

bigmc6000
Dec 13, 2006, 05:33 PM
Also consider (as i hope apple does well) that the US market is a VERY tiny market for mobile phones. Why on earth would you really care what 5% (the size of the US market in 2006) of the world market thinks when over 50% of the market has already proven to be willing to pay for quality products.

Are you talking about the number of people with cellphones or the money generated by the US? I'm guessing you're talking #'s. If you look at the US there is TONS of cash to be had on a per user basis. I have nothing to back this up, but because of how companies work here people get brand new phones every 2 years - I wonder what the average is in Europe where you don't sign contracts - I'd bet it's considerably longer and thus #'s talking about "cell phone users" isn't exactly applicable to this particular situation.

840quadra
Dec 13, 2006, 05:35 PM
If those prices are real, I am sticking with having my music separate from my phone.

I don't like the idea of having a phone / MP3 player, but hoped Apple could do it in a way that I would like. At those prices, I cannot afford to think about it!

Hmm, snazzy phone that costs me $649, or a Digital SLR that can make me some $$$ over time ?

Marx55
Dec 13, 2006, 05:39 PM
Built-in Mac OS X mobile. Pictures here:

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/evidence_mounts_for_january_iphone

http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=1
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=2
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=3

Now, imagine it as the ultimate wireless computerless presentation tool for Keynote and PowerPoint. Huge halo effect!

mjhamson
Dec 13, 2006, 05:40 PM
On all accounts of revenue and user base, the US is a very small percentage. You can get this data from the industry... especially the reports coming out of the GSM camps. I did some heavy research 3 years back when I was working at M$ and lobbying for a bit of eduction [the windows mobile team had no idea that 20% of all revenue from the mobile market comes from text messaging].

I understand the mentality of Americans (being that I am one), but since I live and breathe international... I know that there is a much bigger world out there. Just things to think about when you look at the various decisions that are made... as well as the targeting.

Are you talking about the number of people with cellphones or the money generated by the US? I'm guessing you're talking #'s. If you look at the US there is TONS of cash to be had on a per user basis. I have nothing to back this up, but because of how companies work here people get brand new phones every 2 years - I wonder what the average is in Europe where you don't sign contracts - I'd bet it's considerably longer and thus #'s talking about "cell phone users" isn't exactly applicable to this particular situation.

Frozonecold
Dec 13, 2006, 05:44 PM
Built-in Mac OS X mobile. Pictures here:

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/evidence_mounts_for_january_iphone

http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=1
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=2
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=3

Now, imagine it as the ultimate wireless computerless presentation tool for Keynote and PowerPoint. Huge halo effect!
Those are so fake. I did not believe them at all.

bigmc6000
Dec 13, 2006, 05:45 PM
On all accounts of revenue and user base, the US is a very small percentage. You can get this data from the industry... especially the reports coming out of the GSM camps. I did some heavy research 3 years back when I was working at M$ and lobbying for a bit of eduction [the windows mobile team had no idea that 20% of all revenue from the mobile market comes from text messaging].

I understand the mentality of Americans (being that I am one), but since I live and breathe international... I know that there is a much bigger world out there. Just things to think about when you look at the various decisions that are made... as well as the targeting.

You still didn't address my point about per user. If apple is looking to test the waters and doesn't want to screw itself royally if this bombs what's better than delving into the pockets of Americans who will buy a new phone every 2 years whether they need it or not?

Thanatoast
Dec 13, 2006, 05:47 PM
Okay, so I blanched at the price as well. Over the next several pages though it was pointed out that high-end smsart phones (Palm, WM5.0) go for that amount.

Now this is Apple so they mgiht consider pricing an iPod w/phone at around that. They make no bones about their prices.

But what I'm hoping is that the iPhone is a smart phone. Not just syncing contacts, but also allowing easy input.

How, you ask? 3.5" screen and smaller than a video iPod?

Anyone remember the touch-bezel patent? If Apple can make a UI that works well with that interface it'll be money in the bank. Maybe even mine. :cool:

iW00t
Dec 13, 2006, 05:49 PM
You're kidding me... that would actually be a deal breaker for you? 4 or 8gb internal storage and you're upset that you can't replace it? Give me a break...

All Nokias/Sony Ericssons I've used to date allows that.

And yes, it is a deal breaker for me. Having a non replaceable part in the phone that will wear out over writes? What if I am on a long flight and wish to pack more songs than what the phone could otherwise hold?

Sorry, I don't buy into this planned obsolence crap.

You on the other hand can embrace consumerism and feel free to buy into the same gadgets year after year and end up with a huge credit card debt at the end of it and a house full of obsolete gadgets not even eco-friendly enough to chuck into a landfill, I just don't see why this has to be the case.

CrackedButter
Dec 13, 2006, 05:49 PM
Will buy. Without a doubt.

Jimmieboy
Dec 13, 2006, 05:50 PM
Way out of my price range. You can buy a mac mini for $599. I really can't see why apple would make you pay $599 for the iphone wheen you can get a new computer for the same price. This seems a little fishy.

theBB
Dec 13, 2006, 06:03 PM
Regardless of whether the price is competitive with this or other phone, I cannot afford to pay that much.

bigmc6000
Dec 13, 2006, 06:06 PM

And yes, it is a deal breaker for me. Having a non replaceable part in the phone that will wear out over writes? What if I am on a long flight and wish to pack more songs than what the phone could otherwise hold?

You on the other hand can embrace consumerism and feel free to buy into the same gadgets year after year and end up with a huge credit card debt at the end of it and a house full of obsolete gadgets not even eco-friendly enough to chuck into a landfill, I just don't see why this has to be the case.

This is too funny - really. "What if I am on a long flight and wish to pack more songs than what the phone could otherwise hold?" Umm - you'd be going to the Moon... 8gb (citing apple.com here) can hold 2,000 songs based on 4 mins per song soooo that means you'd have 8,000 mins of music which equals 133 hours and 20 mins. How exactly do you plan on a plane even flying for 133 hours? You really must tell us all where you are going on this flight - I'd like to know how you're getting to the moon!!!

NewSc2
Dec 13, 2006, 06:10 PM

I've never felt compelled to remove my iPod's hard drive.

j_maddison
Dec 13, 2006, 06:10 PM

You live in the UK, the handset will be subsidised. You're very unlikely to have to pay a single penny for it. If you do the phone will probably cost around the £50 mark. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over it

jay

archurban
Dec 13, 2006, 06:11 PM
relax. it's just estimated, not real. we should keep watching it. probably it will be dropped the price unlikely rumors. it's all about rumors. recently, Apple seems to hit our back before rumors will be real. so just wait for it.

AppleIntelRock
Dec 13, 2006, 06:13 PM
I'm hoping thats the contract-less price. If not- don't make me laugh. I'm very happy with my pearl and nano. Personally, I don't think there is ANY way apple would release a cell phone with THAT high of a price tag.

Eduardo1971
Dec 13, 2006, 06:13 PM
You all have it all wrong!!!

The bigger question is "is Rebecca F Runkle hot (cute)?":o

cloudnine
Dec 13, 2006, 06:14 PM
Those are so fake. I did not believe them at all.

That's a good thing you didn't believe them since they stated in the article that the phone was "mythical" and it was pretty implied that the images were fake and just a rendering that someone put together.

dur.

j_maddison
Dec 13, 2006, 06:21 PM
You've got to be kidding? There isn't a single phone out there with a decent OS so the market is ripe for picking. £300-£400 non-contract sounds cheap so would sell well here around the £150 mark on contract.

Lets have a phone with a decent OS. It all went horribly wrong since Psion left the scene...

It will be even cheaper than that. Possibly around £50 if it follows current pricing trends from O2, with the lower end model more than likely being a free handset unless you're on a low user tariff.

I defo agree with you about the OS

Jay

zoozx
Dec 13, 2006, 06:21 PM
Ridiculous pricing even at half those numbers

Erasmus
Dec 13, 2006, 06:23 PM
Oh no...

It depends what you get I suppose, but for that cost, it better have an inbuilt camera, pull out qwery, video phone capabilities, etc. with a massive screen.

Not good, not good at all. What happened to an iPod Nano with the innards of a 50 dollar phone shoved in? Where's the simplicity? This is not going to happen.

You heard it here first. There will be no camera, there will be no video conferencing. There will probably be some method of accessing iTMS, hopefully run by Apple so it only costs the normal amount to buy. There will be a slide out number pad.

The iPhone should be an inexpensive iPod with the ability to phone and text people, not just another expensive complicated phone with the ability to play music. If Apple wants to make something with a camera and stuff, fine, but they have to keep the simple model too!

How about a chunkier iPhone with a 100Gb HD? I'd be tempted...

These prices are much too high.

P.S. I see no reason why Apple cannot sell these for around the same price as a normal iPod. Basic phones are not expensive. The (pre-pay) phone I have now cost AU$40 brand new, unlocked, and came with $30 credit. It phones, and texts. I think the iPhone should cost no more than about $50 more than the iPod of the same storage.

If they want, Apple could replace the iPod Nano with the iPhone. It may be a relic from using such a crappy phone for so long, but the iPhone doesn't need to be special, as long as it is cheap, especially in the basic model.

achie25
Dec 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
I have been looking for a smartphone from apple but these prices are ridiculous. No way that these will sell at these prices.

Frozonecold
Dec 13, 2006, 06:28 PM
I would laugh at all of you guys if Apple never release an iPhone. :D

Arcus
Dec 13, 2006, 06:29 PM
Some of you guys are talking like this "IS" the price. Please.....

izzle22
Dec 13, 2006, 06:30 PM
I have been looking for a smartphone from apple but these prices are ridiculous. No way that these will sell at these prices.

I don't know what you people are smoking, but there is NO way Apple will make a phone with all the features everybody wants and the build quality Apple is famous for and sell it for less than $350. You all own Apple products(I assume) you know how they are priced. Use your common sense if you have any. These prices are probably right on for the most part, so quit crying and get used to it or buy a Nokia instead.

jgurbisz
Dec 13, 2006, 06:30 PM
Cingular: Introducing the iPhone FREE*

*with a 24 year contract

WOW this price is steep, I mean I really really want an iPhone but 600 plush dollars for a phone... sorry Steve but no can do!

MattDell
Dec 13, 2006, 06:38 PM
Has no one looked at cell phone prices lately (without contracts)?

I am in no way surprised by these prices and I expect them to be more than halved with contract agreements.

-Mat

daneoni
Dec 13, 2006, 06:38 PM
$649?!?.....yeah, that'll happen.

jthrasher
Dec 13, 2006, 06:42 PM
all you people bitching and whining about the price, get real.

These prices are NOT that bad. First of all... you have to realize this is going to be WAY more than just a phone. If it was only a phone and served no other function, I'd agree, that would be way to much $. But.. this is going to have iPod functionality, and more than likely some PDA functionality. So.. $600 for a phone/iPod/PDA is NOT a bad price. Look at the prices of all the other smart phones out there. You can easily spend $600 on one. Plus, they don't have 4-8gb worth of storage.

Personally, I don't care how much the phone costs. I know its going to blow the pants of any other phone out there because it's Apple. I'd gladly pay $700 for a phone that would eliminate other things I usually carry.

izzle22
Dec 13, 2006, 06:44 PM
all you people bitching and whining about the price, get real.

These prices are NOT that bad. First of all... you have to realize this is going to be WAY more than just a phone. If it was only a phone and served no other function, I'd agree, that would be way to much $. But.. this is going to have iPod functionality, and more than likely some PDA functionality. So.. $600 for a phone/iPod/PDA is NOT a bad price. Look at the prices of all the other smart phones out there. You can easily spend $600 on one. Plus, they don't have 4-8gb worth of storage.

Personally, I don't care how much the phone costs. I know its going to blow the pants of any other phone out there because it's Apple. I'd gladly pay $700 for a phone that would eliminate other things I usually carry.

AMEN! Perfectly Said

mhagerman
Dec 13, 2006, 06:45 PM
These iPhone rumors have me on a rollercoaster of emotion, and I don't even need a new phone! Of course, once this comes out, it will so dwarf the razr in style that I will fast for weeks to buy it.

... and by then, Leopard will probably be out... and I will be dead...

oh well, worth it :)

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 06:45 PM
I don't know what you people are smoking, but there is NO way Apple will make a phone with all the features everybody wants and the build quality Apple is famous for and sell it for less than $350. You all own Apple products(I assume) you know how they are priced. Use your common sense if you have any. These prices are probably right on for the most part, so quit crying and get used to it or buy a Nokia instead.

I want IM. I want a calculator. I want the ability to call people and hear them on the other end. I want bluetooth. I want Wireless so I can use broadband to make calls. I want kick *** sync abilities with OS X. I want a mobile OS X that I can install programs on, and I want the ability to play music.

My almost 2 year old phone can do everything except use broadband to make a call. Everything else is just software. My phone currently retails on eBay for $100. I think $400 is a bit of a premium to pay for better software and wireless, don't you?

Bubbasteve
Dec 13, 2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah .... I sure do hope not.

IMO I think $249 seems like a more realistic price...at most $300....l but definitely not $599

FF_productions
Dec 13, 2006, 06:52 PM
Sorry too much for a phone. Again this is a RUMOR, so don't get too excited yet folks.

izzle22
Dec 13, 2006, 06:52 PM
I want IM. I want a calculator. I want the ability to call people and hear them on the other end. I want bluetooth. I want Wireless so I can use broadband to make calls. I want kick *** sync abilities with OS X. I want a mobile OS X that I can install programs on, and I want the ability to play music.

My almost 2 year old phone can do everything except use broadband to make a call. Everything else is just software. My phone currently retails on eBay for $100. I think $400 is a bit of a premium to pay for better software and wireless, don't you?

There are alot of desktop computers out that cost $500 or less that do everything my Powermac G5 does and I paid $3000 for it. Do you get my point. Your $100 phone is prob. ugly and cheaply made.

slffl
Dec 13, 2006, 06:57 PM
My god I can't believe the people here. Do you really think Apple is that stupid? Do you really think they are going to try to sell a regular phone at crazy prices? C'mon, give them some credit. Wait until it comes out and stop whining about pure rumors. I'm sure they researched it to death what the iphones features should be and how much it should cost.

KindredMAC
Dec 13, 2006, 06:58 PM
iPhone will = modern day version of G4 Cube.

arn
Dec 13, 2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah .... I sure do hope not.

IMO I think $249 seems like a more realistic price...at most $300....l but definitely not $599

Treo 700p

Retail - $649
with Service plan - $249

Have you all not ever bought a cell phone? This price isn't completely "out there" assuming it's is more than just a basic phone.

arn

lorductape
Dec 13, 2006, 07:00 PM
My god I can't believe the people here. Do you really think Apple is that stupid? Do you really think they are going to try to sell a regular phone at crazy prices? C'mon, give them some credit. Wait until it comes out and stop whining about pure rumors. I'm sure they researched it to death what the iphones features should be and how much it should cost.

well if not they better read these forums

AppleIntelRock
Dec 13, 2006, 07:02 PM
Treo 700p

Retail - $649
with Service plan - $249

Have you all not ever bought a cell phone? This price isn't completely "out there" assuming it's is more than just a basic phone.

arn

Arn, I assume people were looking for the best apple cell phone in the world- for little or no money. If they'd rather buy a laptop- let them get one. Either wait and upgrade, switch to cingular, or suck it up and buy the darn thing.

FF_productions
Dec 13, 2006, 07:05 PM
iPhone will = modern day version of G4 Cube.

Someone might quote this if this thing ends up being a smash hit.

I remember the old iPod thread, someone replied that it would end up like the Cube.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 07:07 PM
There are alot of desktop computers out that cost $500 or less that do everything my Powermac G5 does and I paid $3000 for it. Do you get my point. Your $100 phone is prob. ugly and cheaply made.

Moto v551. It's basically a RAZR, but not so thin, and with real buttons

SPUY767
Dec 13, 2006, 07:09 PM
The prices aren't uncharacteristic. Cellular phone electronics are tricky business, everyone just happens to be used to the "fifty-nine" dollar price that so many cell phone providers offer subsidized by a 2 year contract. The price of a motorola RAZR not tied to any provider can range from $250 to $400 depending on the specific model. Adding all the iPod circuitry, which we are happy to pay $150 for on its own, and factor in a $50 "cool" premium or factor in the extra cost of bitchin' interface, and you're already at the price point mentioned.

AppleIntelRock
Dec 13, 2006, 07:11 PM

Exactly, ugly and cheaply made. His point exactly.

SPUY767
Dec 13, 2006, 07:16 PM

Ummm, that's not basically a RAZR, it's the slightly updated version of this phone: http://www.tennis-schedule.com/images/phone.jpg.

Shares about 95% of the same internals. Thing is, the phone in the picture is nearly three years old.

Cromulent
Dec 13, 2006, 07:16 PM
I'm pretty interested in this phone even though I have just got a new one recently. The thing is though, I refuse to get a phone unless it is offered for free as an upgrade or a new contract. I guess that puts me out of the iPhone target market.

I would certainly be interested to see what happens when it comes to the UK though. I think it would probably do pretty well over here.

pake
Dec 13, 2006, 07:17 PM
I doesn't sound like apple. There is no logic about the prices. if its going to cost 600, for 50$ more, I'll get 8GB more. Is has no sence. Apple would have set only a 8Gb model if those were the prices.

I don't buy it. And if it is really true, at those prices I woundn't buy the iphone either.

I do believe the 249$ rumor :D

Sean.Perrin
Dec 13, 2006, 07:17 PM
If these prices are true then **** the iPhone... I'm just going to buy some other piece of garbage phone that I can toss away in a year.

I hope that this is not true, I've waited a long time for this phone, but refuse to pay such high prices... or sign a contract to get it for less

A real shame if this is a reality....

SPUY767
Dec 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
If these prices are true then **** the iPhone... I'm just going to buy some other piece of garbage phone that I can toss away in a year.

I hope that this is not true, I've waited a long time for this phone, but refuse to pay such high prices... or sign a contract to get it for less

A real shame if this is a reality....

So you expect apple, a company which traditionally has higher prices because of the increased costs of R&D and higher quality materials in their products to miraculously release a phone for less than all the other electronics firms? Grow up. This is the world. . . Welcome.

FF_productions
Dec 13, 2006, 07:22 PM
I doesn't sound like apple. There is no logic about the prices. if its going to cost 600, for 50$ more, I'll get 8GB more. Is has no sence. Apple would have set only a 8Gb model if those were the prices.

I don't buy it. And if it is really true, at those prices I woundn't buy the iphone either.

I do believe the 249$ rumor :D

I definetely overlooked that. Who would get the 4 gig version? For 50 dollars more, you twice the amount of space. I don't believe this rumor at all.

BWhaler
Dec 13, 2006, 07:24 PM
If it was a world phone with NO compromises, I'd buy it. In a heartbeat.

But I understand I may be an exception. I travel the world and rely heavily on my cell phone. Every phone on the market sucks, so if this was really and truly the phone with Apple quality, it would be easily be worth it to me.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next year...

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 07:25 PM
Exactly, ugly and cheaply made. His point exactly.

I resent that. It's IMO, nicer than the RAZR, and more durable too. After being left in damp grass for a while, it faired much better than my friends' RAZR did (which was left right next to it).

And I think you missed the point. It's almost 2 years old, the phone that person posted is almost 3 years old, and shares ~85% of the RAZR's innards. Basically, we're still expected to pay a $400 premium for software and looks if the rumor is true.

SPUY767
Dec 13, 2006, 07:26 PM
If it was a world phone with NO compromises, I'd buy it. In a heartbeat.

But I understand I may be an exception. I travel the world and rely heavily on my cell phone. Every phone on the market sucks, so if this was really and truly the phone with Apple quality, it would be easily be worth it to me.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next year...

Yeah, it's going to be hard to compare this phone to the pooh-nuggets offered by other manufacturers.

SPUY767
Dec 13, 2006, 07:31 PM
I resent that. It's IMO, nicer than the RAZR, and more durable too. After being left in damp grass for a while, it faired much better than my friends' RAZR did (which was left right next to it).

And I think you missed the point. It's almost 2 years old, the phone that person posted is almost 3 years old, and shares ~85% of the RAZR's innards. Basically, we're still expected to pay a $400 premium for software and looks if the rumor is true.

If durability is what you're looking for, pick up this gem: http://www.tennis-schedule.com/images/nextel.jpg from motorola. That phone has been dropped in water about a dozen times from a golf water hazard to a brackish river, been dropped onto concrete from 80 feet off a microwave tower, been thrown in to countless solid objects by me because nextel service is so ****** that you can hardly ever use the phone which is the true shame, I'd never need another phone if that one wasn't a nextel. :-( verizon doesn't have a version of the venerable i530.

riversky
Dec 13, 2006, 07:35 PM
I don't think the iPhone is a mass market product. It is a high end niche one. Think of the "Mac Pro" as an example. It will be a status and innovative product but not one that everyone will have because of supply and cost. I don't think the phone companies would go something cheap and far better than other offerings from the mobile handset player. They would never want to see Apple have a huge market in handsets like iPods.

The very high end Treo's and Smartphones and designer handsets is the model, not the mass market one.

DTphonehome
Dec 13, 2006, 07:38 PM
I definetely overlooked that. Who would get the 4 gig version? For 50 dollars more, you twice the amount of space. I don't believe this rumor at all.

So nobody buys the 4 GB nano then?

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 07:39 PM
I don't need something durable, I'm just commenting...

and there's no way the phone is going to be a nitch market if they're making 12m of them... at least not unless Apple has plans on becoming very very very rich

FF_productions
Dec 13, 2006, 07:40 PM
So nobody buys the 4 GB nano then?

Well we're talking an expensive cell phone. 600 dollars is different from 200 dollars.

If I was going to spend this much on a cell phone I'd obviously go with the 650 dollar option.

vader26
Dec 13, 2006, 07:41 PM
way to pricey for my blood.. but then again, that is what i said about the ipod when it first came out, only to buy one a year later.

davester
Dec 13, 2006, 08:01 PM
I'm happy to pay a premium on Apple computer hardware (and stretch it to iPods, etc), but when you convert $US599 to Australian Dollars, it will cost $AUD860, but that is before Apple Australia "adjust" the price to their liking as they do with all Apple hardware. You'll probably look at $AUD950 for the base model phone. I don't consider a phone to be a luxury item, eventhough it is made by Apple. Who the fsck can afford an outright phone for just under $1000?! It's piss-takingly expensive. I really don't think they have the clout to command an over-priced product on the heels of iPod's success. This thing better make coffee otherwise.

Of course, the basis of this rant is relative to these prices being valid. (and if the "iPhone" will be released)

Frozonecold
Dec 13, 2006, 08:09 PM
way to pricey for my blood.. but then again, that is what i said about the ipod when it first came out, only to buy one a year later.
Who said there really is an iPhone anyway. These are just Rumors you know.

iris_failsafe
Dec 13, 2006, 08:18 PM
I don't thnk Apple will cross the $499 barrier, the specs seem possible
I guess we will have to wait to MWSF

BTW I have a trip to SF one week after MWSF.... :mad:

Sweetfeld28
Dec 13, 2006, 08:22 PM
I can't see Apple doing this at all. I mean, in my area Verizon is one of the best carriers, and it doesn't even carry a phone that cost more than $500 max. Thats without a contract.

iProd
Dec 13, 2006, 08:41 PM
Apple Computers is soon to become Apple Electronics :(

JBytes
Dec 13, 2006, 08:44 PM
C'est trop riche pour mon sang.

Frozonecold
Dec 13, 2006, 08:49 PM
I don't thnk Apple will cross the $499 barrier, the specs seem possible
I guess we will have to wait to MWSF

BTW I have a trip to SF one week after MWSF.... :mad:
Ouch, that has to hurt. Sorry for your loss. I feel for you.

theBB
Dec 13, 2006, 08:50 PM
Treo 700p

Retail - $649
with Service plan - $249

Well, I don't know about Treo specifically, but the real retail price (let's say from Amazon, as not many places in the US sell unlocked phones) is usually much lower than the crazy MSRP. I guess that is not so different than digital cameras. However, when Apple sets a price they stick by it. You don't get much discount anywhere. If Apple keeps the same business model and says $650, the phone company will not subsidize it to the tune of $400.

arn
Dec 13, 2006, 08:53 PM
Well, I don't know about Treo specifically, but the real retail price (let's say from Amazon, as not many places in the US sell unlocked phones) is usually much lower than the crazy MSRP.

This is only with a service plan. Even from Amazon, it would cost a lot more if you did not sign up for a service plan.

http://www.amazon.com/palm-Treo-700p-Smartphone-Sprint/dp/B000GJOUGK

Equipment Discount Information: Your price paid includes an equipment discount of $250 that has been provided to you by Amazon.com for activating a new line of service with Sprint and maintaining this new line of service with the selected rate plan in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If these conditions are not met, you herein agree to a $250 reimbursement to be paid to Amazon.com. This reimbursement of the $250 equipment discount will only be charged if the above conditions are not met. See full service requirements.

arn

joeshell383
Dec 13, 2006, 09:04 PM

a) We haven't even seen what it will do
b) You underestimate what people will pay, of course the bargin phone hunter won't be getting one, but what about a fashionista or gadget wizard or teen with bux to spend?
c) People seem to ignore that it will probably be subsidized!

ALSO the iPod photo was $499 with NO VIDEO and NO PHONE, only two years ago, and it was the same price as Mac Mini...

oober_freak
Dec 13, 2006, 09:04 PM
If they launch their so-called iPhone at $599, they can say goodbye to two markets: India and China. India alone adds 6 million new connections per month and is expected to add around 10 million per month shortly. China manages 3-4 million per month, too. Even if the high end category has a 20% market share in these markets, Apple will say goodbye to at least 1.2 million connections a month. That's just in India.

The golden rule for any manufacturer is that you can't afford to ignore these two markets, if you want a decent market share, even in the high end category.

buffalo
Dec 13, 2006, 09:13 PM

I've almost gotten this way. Maybe not $600 but I'd probably pay upwards of $500 for an iPhone (assuming it's amazing) if it worked for Verizon. My other option is the Chocolate, and I'd not get it.

Chupa Chupa
Dec 13, 2006, 09:20 PM
I kinda doubt the price points. A $50 difference between 4GB and 8GB just makes no sense. If you can afford a $599 phone you are probably going to go for 2x the RAM for $50 more.

But lets say those prices are accurate. The iTunes phone has been done. Not so great, but its been done. It not going to turn heads anymore.

Where is the phone competition these days...it's in the PDA market. Blackberry and Treo phones are what everyone is chasing. Moto has the Q, Samsung has the new Blackjack. With the rumors of a mini OS X on the phone it seems that is where Apple is heading. iTunes in on OS X, but so is iPhoto, iSync, iMovie.

An Apple knock off of the RAZR for $600. Count me out. But if it exceeds the Treo's capabilities I'm all over it for $600.

Also I see Apple operating as an MVNO, and not with any particular cell co. Maybe they will use Cingular lines , but it won't be a Cingular phone. Apple likes to call the shots and no cell phone company will let them do that.

Stridder44
Dec 13, 2006, 09:22 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PS/7665~Dude-WTF-Posters.jpg

davester
Dec 13, 2006, 09:28 PM
I kinda doubt the price points. A $50 difference between 4GB and 8GB just makes no sense.

Have you never gone out for a snack and going past the Chinese food, seen that they sell a small serving of, eg. sweet n sour pork for $8, and a large for $9? More profitable businesses use this model. Obviously it seems more tempting to buy the large size for the extra dollar, as it appears to be better value. All they are doing is ensuring they still make a guaranteed maximum profit from the smaller item. Everything else is cream. Apple could very well do the same thing.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 13, 2006, 09:29 PM
ALSO the iPod photo was $499 with NO VIDEO and NO PHONE, only two years ago, and it was the same price as Mac Mini...

...And look how well that sold.
And look how well the mini sold.

sachamun
Dec 13, 2006, 09:39 PM
Apple Computers is soon to become Apple Electronics :(

Yeah, sucks big time.
Although it could just be inevitable seeing that computers and other electronic devices are merging and blurring more and more as time goes by.

theBB
Dec 13, 2006, 09:46 PM
This is only with a service plan. Even from Amazon, it would cost a lot more if you did not sign up for a service plan.
[/url]

Well, I could not find a Treo, but RAZR V3i list price is $599, but unlocked price without service plan is $235 on Amazon. If that's what Apple means by $599 list price, fine. However, nowadays if Apple's list price is $599 on a product, you almost never get such a big discount on Amazon.

eXan
Dec 13, 2006, 09:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca F Runkle (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061213/apple_mover.html?.v=1) has "high conviction" that the iPhone will launch in the first half of 2007. In addition to this, she cites unnamed sources to provide some specs for the unreleased Apple phone:

- $599 for 4GB
- $649 for 8GB
- 3.5 inch LCD screen
- Wider than the iPod nano
- Thinner than the iPod Video
- Made of Metal
- Multiple colors, but at least including black, white, and silver
- Cingular Wireless is likely carrier in the U.S.

The proposed prices of the iPhone are much higher than the only previous rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061203094854.shtml) which pointed to $249 and $449 4GB and 8GB models.

Historically we have little record of Rebecca F Runkle's previous accuracy. Previous descriptions of the Apple Phone have described it as a candy bar form factor (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060913215342.shtml).

Hmm... what to buy.. what to buy... iPhone or Mac mini? ;)

Seriously though, those prices are insane! Over 600$ for a phone :eek: No, thanks. I'm staying with my Sony Erricsson :mad:

Draelius
Dec 13, 2006, 10:00 PM
...Jessica Alba's phone number on speed dial.

joeshell383
Dec 13, 2006, 10:18 PM
Have you never gone out for a snack and going past the Chinese food, seen that they sell a small serving of, eg. sweet n sour pork for $8, and a large for $9? More profitable businesses use this model. Obviously it seems more tempting to buy the large size for the extra dollar, as it appears to be better value. All they are doing is ensuring they still make a guaranteed maximum profit from the smaller item. Everything else is cream. Apple could very well do the same thing.

Very true, thus they will probably make less of the 4GB models. Just like the PS3 and XBOX 360 pricing schemes (300/400 and 500/600).

quicksilverpdx
Dec 13, 2006, 10:21 PM
We all have to stop and remember, perception is %100 of reality! If someone thinks its worth $600 bucks, thell spend it! This ishow apple started doing biz and will probably always do biz! The ipod was over $400 bucks a couple years ago and now you can pick up the same amount of storage for half that, ur paying for the bells, wistles and looks. Do you REALLY think sony, microsoft and nintendo had NO idea all their first run units would sell out at those redicilous prices only to be resold foe 3X retail! One of the major service providers will make a deal, apple will get what they want per unit and the provider will take you for a couple hundred bucks over the term of your contract( or get you for early termination) and every one is happy! And by the way, i will sleep in front of whatever provider is going to carry it the night before sale and will be one of the first! Now if i could only figure out how to get this newton up and ruunning again ;)

fblack
Dec 13, 2006, 10:21 PM
For that price I think I would rather buy a Playstation 3...

Xtremehkr
Dec 13, 2006, 10:31 PM
Whoa Nelly, that's an expensive phone. I am sure that it will go at a huge discount though, in order to get people to switch over to Verizons service. I just wanna see what they look like and what they can do.

SMM
Dec 13, 2006, 10:35 PM
Like most of you, this entry price is completely off the charts. I suspect idiocy is running amok.

Pressure
Dec 13, 2006, 10:37 PM

Man, you really crack me up...

I have to say that would be one hell of a flight you would go on, if you needed more songs than a 4GB or 8GB iPhone can hold.

1,000 songs or 4,000 minutes (66,7 hours or 2,78 days) for the 4GB version.
2,000 songs pr 8,000 minutes (133,33 hours or 5,6 days) for the 8GB version.

...one hell of a flight I tell you...

I remember buying the Sony Ericsson K750i when it came out for $500. It came with a 64MB Memory Stick. I wouldn't mind paying more for an Apple phone.

Did you buy your PC yet?

jblodgett
Dec 13, 2006, 10:47 PM
3.5 inch screen?
Not a chance in a phone the size of a nano.
It'd have to be as wide as the current ipod video - if not wider.

Reverend Wally
Dec 13, 2006, 10:47 PM
Maybe with the 8GB phone Apple will give away a Rolls Royce Silver Phantom, or a Mercedes.

:rolleyes:

digitalbiker
Dec 13, 2006, 10:48 PM
I can't even figure out why anyone would want a phone from Apple?

Who knows if they will even make a good phone. It is a completely different product than either a computer or an mp3 player. It is also a highly competitive market that is completely saturated with already established strong players.

I love Apple computers and ipods but frankly I haven't much been impressed by their durability or quality control. I have owned 15 different Apple computers and 8 different ipods. All lof them are as dead as a doornail except for two ipods and 2 computers. Both of which are new (less than 2 years old.) I treated each Apple like gold and yet they all failed for different reasons. Primarily display problems, logic board failure, and flimsey hinges and latches.

On the other hand I have two early 90's toshiba laptops, 1 gateway late 90's laptop, 1 dell late 90's laptop, 1 commodore 64, and 1 amiga 2000. All of which run like new and have been used heavily under all conditions.

Apple is notorious for problems on generation 1 hardware. Personally I am not convinced that Apple could make a good, durable, well-designed, gen. 1 phone worth the $500+.

Sorry but I'll have to pass and let some other poor "sucker" er - um person buy a new iphone.

thebrain74
Dec 13, 2006, 10:56 PM
at least it isnt as expensive as this POS
http://www.mobilegazette.com/bang-and-olufsen-serene-051007.htm
:)
a 3.5 inch screen seems REALLy big for a phone (being that its an inch bigger than the one on the ipod) but if this phone if so freaking 'revolutionary' maybe it is that big.

maybe I could weedle my way into making this my college phone:) :cool: :D
thebrain

mahonmeister
Dec 13, 2006, 11:18 PM
I guess people are just making stuff up now about the iPhone? None of these rumors make sense. No one in their right mind would buy a phone at this price, I would imagine. Apple has made enough money on the iPod to allow themselves to take a risk. No need to overprice this because of uncertainty. But what the heck to I know.

gugy
Dec 13, 2006, 11:23 PM

Who knows if they will even make a good phone. It is a completely different product than either a computer or an mp3 player. It is also a highly competitive market that is completely saturated with already established strong players.

I love Apple computers and ipods but frankly I haven't much been impressed by their durability or quality control. I have owned 15 different Apple computers and 8 different ipods. All lof them are as dead as a doornail except for two ipods and 2 computers. Both of which are new (less than 2 years old.) I treated each Apple like gold and yet they all failed for different reasons. Primarily display problems, logic board failure, and flimsey hinges and latches.

On the other hand I have two early 90's toshiba laptops, 1 gateway late 90's laptop, 1 dell late 90's laptop, 1 commodore 64, and 1 amiga 2000. All of which run like new and have been used heavily under all conditions.

Apple is notorious for problems on generation 1 hardware. Personally I am not convinced that Apple could make a good, durable, well-designed, gen. 1 phone worth the $500+.

Sorry but I'll have to pass and let some other poor "sucker" er - um person buy a new iphone.

wow, I have a completely different experience than yours. I had 6 Macs and each one NEVER gave me any major issue in the last 15 years as Mac user. I still have my original 1rst generation iPod and works just fine and recently I purchased the new shuffle and so far so good. Knock on wood!;)
For me every Apple product I purchased are synonymous of great quality and durability products. I still have an old G4 titanium laptop and is going strong.
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

I look forward to buy the iPhone but if the price is over $600 and Cingular is the carrier, sorry, I'll pass. I rather buy a possible widescreen iPod and keep my current phone with Verizon.

dmlogs
Dec 13, 2006, 11:31 PM
I guess people are just making stuff up now about the iPhone? None of these rumors make sense. No one in their right mind would buy a phone at this price, I would imagine. Apple has made enough money on the iPod to allow themselves to take a risk. No need to overprice this because of uncertainty. But what the heck to I know.

most phones by most phone companies are really $300+ they just give it to you for anywhere from free to $100 because they get you to sign up for a service plan, which puts you under a contract for so many years. Hence you have to pay them more money after you buy the phone, which helps them make up for their initial loss.

an example is the Samsung Blackjack (http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?q_list=true&q_phoneName=Samsung+BlackJack&q_sku=sku300002) through Cingular Online Store. The price of the phone itself was $449.99 before discounts. The price it said I'd have to pay was $299.99 - $100.00 (Cingular Mail-In Rebate) = $199.99 as the final price.

In truth i would guess the iPhone would sell for something like $100-200 for the 4gb or $200-300 for the 8gb from Cingular w/ service plan (just in comparison to this and other current phone prices, maybe lower because of popularity)

Unfortunately, however, i have verizon :(

Just my thoughts, hope this helps anyone troubled by this :)

WantIphone
Dec 13, 2006, 11:32 PM
Something is not right. $599 for 4GB and $649 for 8GB???
Why would they sell the 8GB for only $50 more than the 4GB??
Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca F Runkle must not have the right sources.
So basically Apple is giving away 4 extra GB for $50. Just doesn't look right to me. Anybody else feel this way??

elgruga
Dec 13, 2006, 11:51 PM
The price isnt that high - the Razr cost me $800 when it first came out - next thing I know my phone co. offered me one for free if I signed a contract extension. Hello!

So thats what will happen - if the phone is any good, all the phone companies will pick it up and I will get one for about $100 - the RAZR is now falling apart and its no longer even remotely 'cool'.

The big thing is being able to listen to my music while I drive and not miss any business calls. Thats why this iPhone is going to be a BIG seller.

Right now I have my iPod and my RAZR - hey thats about $900 worth of electronic redundancy - put 'em together, sell 'em to the phone co.'s and Apple are off to $120 a share.

elgruga
Dec 14, 2006, 12:01 AM

I'm confused - why the hell are you on macrumors? All your Apple stuff breaks, they are cheap and crappy and you like your bloody Toshiba's - sorry, what is the point of your post?

I have NEVER had a major breakdown of a Mac product and I have owned them all. Right now we have four MACs in the house - from new to much older and they all just hum away.

If Apple products are the way you say, then they are out of business years ago.

Apple is a MAJOR tech co., one of the biggest on the planet - if they cant make a seriously good phone - nobody can.

Are you becoming a Troll?

brepublican
Dec 14, 2006, 12:05 AM
Seems kinda pricey, though I am tempted to ask: how much is a blackberry?

SRSound
Dec 14, 2006, 12:08 AM
Something is not right. $599 for 4GB and $649 for 8GB???
Why would they sell the 8GB for only $50 more than the 4GB??
Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca F Runkle must not have the right sources.
So basically Apple is giving away 4 extra GB for $50. Just doesn't look right to me. Anybody else feel this way??

A recent article suggested a larger price gap because the higher model would offer smart phone capabilities as well. I agree, there's no reason to throw in another 4GB for $50. These estimates are terrible.

simondfer
Dec 14, 2006, 12:10 AM
50 dollars for extra 4GB? I don't think so. everyone buy the 8GB one. $499 will be reasonable.

Chundles
Dec 14, 2006, 12:10 AM

4GB iPod nano = $US199
8GB iPod nano = $US249

Hmmm.... looks perfectly right to me.

I just think this whole rumour's a load of old bollocks. Analysts know sweet FA about the internal workings of Apple. I'd believe an anonymous tip over an analyst's prediction any day of the week.

Unless it were on Thinksecret. Or Macosrumours.

MrCrowbar
Dec 14, 2006, 12:27 AM
Those prices are totally legitimate for this kind of phone. It's a smartphone, they're all in this price range. The 50 bucks for twice storage are funny tho... you would be crazy not to opt for the higher end one if you had the choice. Phone companies are likely to only offer the 4 GB one. The average costumer won't know the difference anyway.

This thing sounds more like a PDA (3.5" screen, hello!?) than a smartphone tho. As long as I can fit one entire text message onto the screen of the phone I am happy (and my nokia 6610 does that). No one needs such a big screen for just a phone, I suppose this thing will have at least 640x480 video (or 480p thus widescreen). That gives us the full screen iPod video with not enough storage for anything on it. You can compress a movie to about 1 GB so you could have a couple to take with you on a plane. Why not plug a usb drive in for longer trips? They do 200 GB in 2.5" HDDs now, that's enough for some high def movies and a decent music collection.

For now it looks like Apple will release the big high-end phone first to build up a reputation and then follow with an affordable one for the masses later. Just like the iPod. First you had the big ones that had too much storage for the average person and were too expensive, then the mini came out, opening the world of cool mp3-players to the rest of us. I say, the PDA-phone will come out first, then get an update with drastically more storage at the same time the small version comes out.

phd
Dec 14, 2006, 12:36 AM
Anodized still won't give you pure white. And Apple will also have Silver? Hmm...

I am still suspicious about these specs. Plus the price is too high for Apple to compete unless it is a True Video iPod as well -- due to the large screen.

Maybe they will use powder coating.

http://www.finishing.com/Library/pennisi/powder.html

Makes a very nice non scratching surface.:)

Lots of color choices.

http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_colors.html

xPismo
Dec 14, 2006, 01:04 AM
[for $650 it better have]...Jessica Alba's phone number on speed dial.

I'd buy it. :eek: Still, I hate my phone, and its the best one I've found for a long time. If apple can mix my ipod with a better than current phone, it will be hard for me to not buy it right away.

As for the Apple electronics, I doubt it. SJ always says Apple is a computer company first.

SeaFox
Dec 14, 2006, 01:11 AM

They're part of AT&T, which is like the evil empire of phone companies.

Evangelion
Dec 14, 2006, 01:16 AM

Yeah, but isn't the iMac a bit too big to be used as a cell-phone?

koobcamuk
Dec 14, 2006, 01:20 AM
These prices seem to be for a SIM free - unlocked - handset.

It's quite a normal price for a good phone. The Nokia 8800 (different numbers for USA I think) is about £800 (~$1500) unlocked and used still fetches about £400 or $800 as does the SE P990. Seems perfectly priced for an unlocked phone. What are you guys on about? How cheap did you think it would be???

If sold with contracts it might be as cheap as you say but who knows. After all this time I don't think I even want one anymore!

splacid
Dec 14, 2006, 01:27 AM
They're part of AT&T, which is like the evil empire of phone companies.

Cingular merged with AT&T Wireless in 2004 but is now and always was independent of AT&T.

adamberti
Dec 14, 2006, 01:30 AM
Count me in for the camp that doesn't see these prices as ridiculous. Phones are this expensive, so I won't repeat others comments.

But this is shaping up an awful lot like the iPod comments of the past. Just pulled the reciept for my 3G iPod. $722.70 CDN at the education discount price for a 30 GB iPod. That puts this new iPhone at the same price effectively - and I get a whole lot more than a music player. Throw it on a contract with a discount and it seems perfectly reasonable.

New products start out expensive, it's no suprise - that's part of the whole product life cycle. My Titanium PowerBook G4 with the SuperDrive was about $4,700 (again, EDU discount). Look at them now, much cheaper as production ramps up and you benefit from economies of scale (and an improved exchange rate of course). An iTV will be $300 bucks come January, but give it a year and we'll see the price come down.

A phone that interfaces with my computer and acts as an iPod - at this price, sign me up.

SeaFox
Dec 14, 2006, 01:47 AM
Treo 700p

Retail - $649
with Service plan - $249
arn
I think most people get their phone on subsidy with their carrier and either change carriers or get an extension when they get a new phone. I've met people who think I've pulled some trick to not be on a contract and not be on prepaid. I think the problem is some carriers used to have "auto-renewing" contracts where you had to know if you wanted to leave at least a month in advance of your rollover date, which most people didn't keep track of.

Yeah, but isn't the iMac a bit too big to be used as a cell-phone?

Yup, but the cell phone...

Can't play DVDs, or CDs
Can't run Microsoft office
Can't do photo or video editing
Can't do video chat

Cingular merged with AT&T Wireless in 2004 but is now and always was independent of AT&T.

They may have run separate of AT&T but that is sure to change. SBC and BellSouth used to have split ownership of Cingular (this was before the AT&T Wireless merger). AT&T Wireless was, prior to its merger with Cingular, a company of its own that had been spun off from AT&T (the old post-80's breakup AT&T) back when they were jettisoning their cable TV services and trying to slimline the number of pies they had their hands in. I always thought that was a super stupid move for AT&T. AT&T was bidding on the old Ma Bell long distance network for revenue, but cell phones and VoIP were the future.

Anyway, AT&T Wireless is bought out by Cingular, which brings everyone in under the Cingular brand (in the process they shut down a few of AT&T's 1900mhz networks and forced AT&T customers to get new phones :eek: ). At this point the company is still joint owned by SBC and BellSouth. Then SBC buys the post 80's breakup AT&T, and takes the company's name. Later ,they buy BellSouth. Which means now the NEW AT&T (SBC) owns 100% of Cingular. They were going to change the name back to AT&T Wireless, too. But they might have backtracked on that idea.

I have trouble believing AT&T is not going to have a heavier hand in the day-to-day operations of the cell phone company they now wholly own *COUGH*NSA wiretaps *COUGH*.

IDANNY
Dec 14, 2006, 02:10 AM
I just want it to come out, Its been long enough.

Dec 14, 2006, 02:17 AM
I have a Swiss subscription for my RAZR, and it's serving me perfectly well...a fabulous phone by Motorola...besides, I've paid around 100 dollars for it, not more...

I won't shell out 500 for a phone and I have an iPod already...those "smartphones" are, for the most part, gadgets for tech junkies...calling, messaging, camera and address book are more than enough for 99% of the world...NO THANKS!

Elrond39
Dec 14, 2006, 02:21 AM
I'm wondering how this is going to work in Europe. I'm not so sure that there's such a heavy emphasis on carrier-subsidies - they do exist, and what it means is that you're paying more per month than you actually should/could be paying. I tend to buy unlocked phones, but 650 for an unlocked phone (albeit a smart-phone)... I don't know, seems difficult to justify. 8 GB is not enough space for me to consider this as an iPod replacement, and for it to cost near twice as much (with taxes, maybe more) as my iPod... I suppose we'll find out sooner or later, assuming there is such a product in the works. I'm not inclined to agree with analysts, so I'll take this with a grain of salt.

matti503
Dec 14, 2006, 02:22 AM
350€ is the highest price for me, since I dont use my phone that much. Last phone bill was spread across 4 months. :D

If email became pay-per-letter, I would be screwed.

I just want phone that is easy to use, since it's something that others can't deliver. Nokia is really confusing and menus change twice a year and they never get any better.

If that $649 is USD and the phone is communicator-like business phone, count me in.

Those better be GSM. And if they are, you won't get one from Finland.