PDA

View Full Version : Which Programming Environment do you use?

Dellius
Dec 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
Which programming environment do u use under OS X ?

While I was under Windows I used to use M$ Visual C++ but under Mac OS I am a bit confused...

Quboid
Dec 17, 2006, 12:02 PM
Which programming environment do u use under OS X ?

While I was under Windows I used to use M$ Visual C++ but under Mac OS I am a bit confused...

Confused? not sure what that means. But i use Xcode. Sucks for C coding sometimes. Cuase it doesn't contain all the libraries, but its pretty nice and simple.

robbieduncan
Dec 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
XCode. As it rules for Cocoa.

bronxbomber92
Dec 17, 2006, 12:59 PM
Xcode... :p

mduser63
Dec 17, 2006, 01:50 PM
Another vote for XCode. I use it for Objective-C/Cocoa development, as well as the occasional C program. It works well for both, although it is obviously primarily designed for Objective-C/Cocoa development. If you want to do Java, Eclipse is probably the way to go (although XCode does support Java).

TheLee
Dec 17, 2006, 02:44 PM
I use XCode because it's free and still pretty hearty. and because I find having to build and maintain make files a bit tedious (but something I should get better at doing).

Though I try to do most of my actual coding using vim because my productivity increases by a whole lot when i can do hugely complex things (that would require lots of cut-paste/editing tools in XCode) with just a few keystrokes. Although this has the downside that I try to use vim movement commands in XCode when I'm fixing errors/bugs.

bousozoku
Dec 17, 2006, 02:57 PM
Xcode works fine for most things on Mac OS X, but I don't care to use it for Java. However, it supports C, C++, and Objective-C very well.

Visual C++ style development hasn't been duplicated on Mac OS X but if you use Xcode for Objective-C, you'll find it's just as productive.

mrkamputee
Dec 17, 2006, 03:41 PM
Xcode for C/C++. IntelliJ for Java, which is a bit clunky, but works good for me.

kainjow
Dec 17, 2006, 09:40 PM
Chipmunk Basic ;)

Les Kern
Dec 17, 2006, 11:22 PM
RealBasic...

Soulstorm
Dec 18, 2006, 03:22 AM
Another one for Xcode. I find it an extremely good programming environment, at least for C-like languages. In my opinion, your best bet in OS X development.

wookyhoo
Dec 18, 2006, 03:09 PM
textmate.

lazydog
Dec 18, 2006, 03:22 PM
X-Code does me fine for Java servlet development. For support tools that need to run on Windows I use RealBasic. That's the boring stuff, for the fun stuff I use X-Code and Objective C++. I can't wait for the promised code folding feature of X-Code 3.

b e n

ghall
Dec 18, 2006, 08:44 PM
I use Xcode as well. Or rather, I'm learning programming on Xcode. I love it, it makes learning programming very fun...at least to me.

steelphantom
Dec 18, 2006, 10:27 PM
I like to use Smultron for coding, and I compile either via the Terminal or using CPP Edit. I'm still using Smultron 1.2.7 it's a great, lightweight, no-frills text editor. :)

Macnoviz
Dec 19, 2006, 01:50 AM
Actionscript (does that count?:confused: )

bousozoku
Dec 19, 2006, 02:02 AM
Actionscript (does that count?:confused: )

Wouldn't Flash being the programming environment and ActionScript the (scripting) language used? ;)

garethlewis2
Dec 19, 2006, 03:16 AM
XCode. For the second poster. What libraries out of the standard ones required for ANSI and ISO certification does GCC not have?

aspro
Dec 19, 2006, 03:22 AM
Like many others, I use Xcode for C/Obj-C and I use Eclipse for my Java work.

Macnoviz
Dec 19, 2006, 03:55 AM
Wouldn't Flash being the programming environment and ActionScript the (scripting) language used? ;)

oh, ok, Flash it is

gekko513
Dec 19, 2006, 03:59 AM
Xcode for Cocoa and Netbeans for Java.

demallien
Dec 19, 2006, 05:37 AM
XCode. For the second poster. What libraries out of the standard ones required for ANSI and ISO certification does GCC not have?

I think they meant that the libraries aren't available for auto-complete type tools...

davechen
Dec 19, 2006, 08:08 AM
I'm an old school Unix-type, so I use vim, g++ and CMake (make).

bousozoku
Dec 19, 2006, 09:44 AM
I think they meant that the libraries aren't available for auto-complete type tools...

Probably the MS/PC-DOS libraries that his instructor was wanting him to use.

findhornriver
Dec 19, 2006, 03:40 PM
Xcode for Obj-c & C++, Komodo for wxPython and Perl.
Textmate for quick fixes.

MacFan26
Dec 19, 2006, 05:52 PM
Eclipse for Java!!

XCode for Obj-C or C. Totally looking forward to XCode 3...there are some really necessary feature that need to be added.

vi or SubEthaEdit also for C and shell scripts.

Jeromie
Dec 19, 2006, 09:51 PM
TextMate + terminal.

TextMate is a joy to work with. It really made programming a lot more fun when I discovered it. I understand that there are some projects / environments where a more specific IDE is preferable, but for most things I really like having a lightweight but highly functional editor.

iancapable
Dec 20, 2006, 03:12 AM
I use Netbeans for Java (sorry eclipse people I was a fan, but netbeans is 1000 times better for web development), XCode.

At work I use a wide range, mostly VIM (vi Improved), net beans and visual studio (I run linux at work, so use vs.net in windows through vmware).

bozigle
Dec 20, 2006, 03:21 AM
Eclipse.
there are plugins for Adobe-photoshop scripting and support of plenty of neat stuff... but mainly because i had to use it at work and it made more sense to concentrate on just one... but gosh this is real pain sometime... just sometime... but real pain!
bozigle

tutubibi
Dec 20, 2006, 12:03 PM
DialogBlocks for wxWidgets related C++ work
XCode for other C/C++ and Java ME
NetBeans for other Java
SPE for Python, wxPython projects
Smultron for quick edits of anything

Used to like Eclipse but it's getting too big and careless with screen real estate thus switch to NetBeans/XCode for Java.

Still waiting for NetBeans mobility (JavaME) support for Mac that is already available on other platforms.

sebisworld
Dec 21, 2006, 03:47 PM
XCode.

And I miss Visual Studio soooooooo much. It's just the best there is. Period.

Eraserhead
Dec 22, 2006, 09:45 AM
XCode personally, though for Java I use Eclipse. Can we have a poll? It'd be interesting to see the results. (XCode, Eclipse, TextMate+terminal, VI/emacs sound like good categories)