PDA

View Full Version : I acutally like the ZUNE

Rhema
Dec 20, 2006, 08:07 PM
Well, partly.

The Hardware of the zune is not as good as the iPod, and all the PC-Side software is not nearly as good as iTunes, but...

I do like the interface of the zune, and the fact that is has a radio tuner, I know there is a 3rd partly hardware that can give you this ability, but, having it built in is nice.

But yeah, does anyone else out there like the zune interface? I really hope apple re-does the interface when they (hopefully) come out with the touchscreen.

pianoman
Dec 20, 2006, 08:13 PM
i haven't tried the Zune but i think the iPod interface is very simple and easy to use. i can't imagine anything being better, but i suppose it's possible to improve on even the best.

also, no 3rd party hardware is needed to get radio on your iPod; Apple makes a radio (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=EF887A86&nplm=MA070G%2FB) remote for iPods.

Finnxeon
Dec 20, 2006, 09:43 PM
also, no 3rd party hardware is needed to get radio on your iPod; Apple makes a radio (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=EF887A86&nplm=MA070G%2FB) remote for iPods.

Well it isn't 3rd party i guess, but it still needs hardware which is what i think he means

EricNau
Dec 20, 2006, 09:48 PM
I really do like the 4-button interface on the Zune - Apple's click wheel just isn't efficient enough. :rolleyes:

Xander562
Dec 20, 2006, 10:06 PM
Wow I was totally expecting this to be a trolling thread.

GoCubsGo
Dec 20, 2006, 10:13 PM
Well, partly.

The Hardware of the zune is not as good as the iPod, and all the PC-Side software is not nearly as good as iTunes, but...

I do like the interface of the zune, and the fact that is has a radio tuner, I know there is a 3rd partly hardware that can give you this ability, but, having it built in is nice.

But yeah, does anyone else out there like the zune interface? I really hope apple re-does the interface when they (hopefully) come out with the touchscreen.

I like the zune interface but I do not hope Apple re-does their interface to come close to zune. I like apple, I like zune, I like apple's hardware a lot better. it's slick, the zune is always locked in some brick that seems way too large to even want around in my pocket.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 21, 2006, 10:01 AM
I like the zune interface but I do not hope Apple re-does their interface to come close to zune. I like apple, I like zune, I like apple's hardware a lot better. it's slick, the zune is always locked in some brick that seems way too large to even want around in my pocket.

I wish the iPod was more like the Zune personally... I think Apple had it right the first two times, and the 3rg gen was sleek, but now this 5th generation is just too... plain. Either make it 100% plain, or jazz it up like the Zune somehow

evilgEEk
Dec 21, 2006, 10:41 AM
Yes, I hate Microsoft... but I will admit the Zune isn't the worst player out there. Close, but not quite. ;)

My main gripe about the Zune is the size of it. It's huge! I love how my iPod is slim and sexy, of course I'm a stickler about that and won't even put a case on my iPod because it would take away from that. ;)

I hate the radio so it's nice Apple made it an optional add-on.

I've only ever seen screenshots and a few short clips of the Zune interface, and it's not absolutely horrible, but it's definitely not for me. Some folks think the iPod UI is just too plain and simple and needs to be more fancy, but I say simple works best. I wouldn't complain if there was a little more eyecandy if it was done well, but the current interface works just great for me.

The obvious ripoff of the click-wheel chafes me a little too.

Buschmaster
Dec 21, 2006, 10:48 AM
There is a Zune at our Office Max on display. It's in a case. And it's cracked.

Obviously it has its faults. It's made of plastic, it can run on my mac, it's software blows... But it has some good points to, but it seems like for now for every good point there is an even worse point.

Cinch
Dec 21, 2006, 11:36 AM
I wish the iPod was more like the Zune personally... I think Apple had it right the first two times, and the 3rg gen was sleek, but now this 5th generation is just too... plain. Either make it 100% plain, or jazz it up like the Zune somehow

When I read your post, I immediately thought this guy must be a Star War fan. To my amusement, I look to my left and see your avatar.:D

Honestly, I think the Zune looks like a rush job from some Asian company wanting to make a quick buck.

Cinch

SkyBell
Dec 21, 2006, 11:53 AM
There is a Zune at our Office Max on display. It's in a case. And it's cracked.

Obviously it has its faults. It's made of plastic, it can run on my mac, it's software blows... But it has some good points to, but it seems like for now for every good point there is an even worse point.

There isn't actually any reason to make it run on the Mac. Obviously, Macs are in the minority. MS wouldn't make much, if any money.

Still, Apple made the iPod availbile for the PC. You'd think Microsoft would return the "favor" (Oh wait, it's MS :rolleyes: )

Unspeaked
Dec 21, 2006, 12:05 PM
Still, Apple made the iPod availbile for the PC. You'd think Microsoft would return the "favor"

It wasn't any favour that Apple made the iPod available for PCs. It was a shrewd business move...

IJ Reilly
Dec 21, 2006, 12:34 PM
I looked at a Zune at Sears (the perfect place to sell Microsoft products, if you ask me -- right next to the Craftsman tools and the polyester dress shirts). The big display is nice, but the "click wheel" is only round because it's meant to imitate the real thing on the iPod, and not because it's functionally similar. On the Zune, it's just a four-direction clicker. The form does not follow the function. Strike One. The entire thing felt cheesy. Strike Two. In the few minutes I spent looking at the device, I could not figure out how to use it. Strike Three.

Some people will buy the Zune because it's from Microsoft, and/or they like the pretty pictures on the display. But if they care about how the product actually works, there's still no comparison. Apple understands the importance of interfaces. Microsoft never has and probably never will.

tstoneblues
Dec 21, 2006, 01:49 PM
I had a chance a to look at the zune today at Target, and was not impressed to say the least. It looks like a mangled iPod Click Wheel attached to a massive screen. Regardless of my bias towards iPods, there was an interesting article posted on the MotleyFool about the Zune and the iPod. Bob Cringley (an Apple employee) has an interesting hypothesis about the Zune. I'm curious what everyone else thinks about his hypothesis.

http://www.fool.com/ahead-of-the-curve/2006/ahead-of-the-curve-06122001.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y

milo
Dec 21, 2006, 03:43 PM
I finally saw a working Zune in target. I was impressed with the slickness of the page transitions and the overall interface look...until the unit locked up within a few seconds of clicking through menus.

Less impressed at that point.

IJ Reilly
Dec 21, 2006, 04:00 PM
I had a chance a to look at the zune today at Target, and was not impressed to say the least. It looks like a mangled iPod Click Wheel attached to a massive screen. Regardless of my bias towards iPods, there was an interesting article posted on the MotleyFool about the Zune and the iPod. Bob Cringley (an Apple employee) has an interesting hypothesis about the Zune. I'm curious what everyone else thinks about his hypothesis.

http://www.fool.com/ahead-of-the-curve/2006/ahead-of-the-curve-06122001.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y

I can't get that link to load, or anything else at fool.com for some reason. But just as point of order, AFAIK there's nobody named "Bob Cringely," but there is a "Robert X. Cringely" who is a journalist (not an Apple employee) named Mark Stephens who has used this as a pen name for many years.

MartyMoe
Dec 21, 2006, 05:15 PM
I can't get that link to load, or anything else at fool.com for some reason. But just as point of order, AFAIK there's nobody named "Bob Cringely," but there is a "Robert X. Cringely" who is a journalist (not an Apple employee) named Mark Stephens who has used this as a pen name for many years.

This came up on another posting, I think this is the one tstoneblues was referring to:
http://www.fool.com/ahead-of-the-curve/2006/ahead-of-the-curve-06122001.htm

...an interesting hypothesis about the Zune. I'm curious what everyone else thinks about his hypothesis.

Finally found where I saw the original commentary:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3167746

IJ Reilly
Dec 21, 2006, 06:21 PM
This came up on another posting, I think this is the one tstoneblues was referring to:
http://www.fool.com/ahead-of-the-curve/2006/ahead-of-the-curve-06122001.htm

The "Bob" thing has to be kind of an in-joke. It is among people who know, anyway. ;)

Anyway, whatever he's calling himself these days, Cringely is probably right about the appeal of the Zune, and Microsoft's reasons for putting the product out. However, I don't think he's got any reason to believe that Apple will begin licensing the iPod anytime soon or even ever, if only because this is a thing Apple has never done before. Steve Jobs has to be extra-wary of any such scheme, since he witnessed what happened to the Mac with licensing, and successful examples of technology product licensing are essentially nil.

SkyBell
Dec 22, 2006, 06:56 PM
It wasn't any favour that Apple made the iPod available for PCs. It was a shrewd business move...

Notice "favor" in quotes, and the :rolleyes: after it.:rolleyes:

iW00t
Dec 22, 2006, 07:00 PM
Zune users should scream like the person in my avatar :D

(Pic was taken from an error message dialog in the Zune software installer!)

Grimace
Dec 22, 2006, 08:25 PM
Mac Greer: The thing I like about the Zune is not the brown color, but the idea of being able to beam a song that I have to someone else, or someone being able to kind of beam a song to me, because it is great for someone who is lazy like me, who has an iPod but hasn't really updated all of their music in ages.

Bob Cringely: That is great for you, but I just don't see people doing it, and Jobs made actually the best point of all, because the way Microsoft is essentially pitching this is it will help you pick up chicks. He said, why would you go to -- it is rather complex, this thing you have to do to send a song to someone across the room. Why not just go over to them and offer them one of your earpods?

:D :D :D

flyfish29
Dec 22, 2006, 10:53 PM
I think the average joe (jill) consumer has no clue it is made by Microsoft. Everytime I see the thing advertised it fails to list or show a MS name. I personally think they have done this on purpose- build a brand name upon itself. I have to agree- I played with one at Target as well- it crashed after playing a while. I like the larger screen and switching formats to horizontal to watch movies. I like the integrated FM tuner too. That is about it.

Winstonp
Dec 23, 2006, 07:25 AM
The Zune software is pretty bad. Freezes and makes you reformat the zune randomly.

Good ol' microsoft making the buggiest of software...

savar
Dec 23, 2006, 09:51 AM
Well, partly.

It's nice to see an honest review. I would think that Apple is going to add some features of Zune to the next iPod.

Have you used the wifi yet?? How is it?

sofila
Dec 23, 2006, 10:47 AM
I do like the interface of the zune, and the fact that is has a radio tuner
The radio tuner seemed important to me too, but I've found out that I had listened to the radio only 2 times in the last 3 years (with the previous player I had).
I prefer my own selection of audio-books and podcasts.

clevin
Dec 23, 2006, 10:51 AM
The radio tuner seemed important to me too, but I've found out that I had listened to the radio only 2 times in the last 3 years (with the previous player I had).
I prefer my own selection of audio-books and podcasts.
its hard to expect podcast be up to date, especially news.

gkarris
Dec 23, 2006, 10:57 AM
The Zune software is pretty bad. Freezes and makes you reformat the zune randomly.

Good ol' microsoft making the buggiest of software...

Actually, I'm into this - competition is good.

Zune users - did you try the new software? Does it work?

To bad it only plays WMV - I have everything encoded in MPEG4 for my iPod...

Does the Zune software update now include MPEG4 video playback directly on the unit?

w00master
Dec 23, 2006, 12:33 PM

Does the Zune software update now include MPEG4 video playback directly on the unit?

Well to be fair, the Zune does play more than just WMV. It also does mp3 AND AAC.

w00master

applemacdude
Dec 23, 2006, 01:20 PM
Well to be fair, the Zune does play more than just WMV. It also does mp3 AND AAC.

w00master

AAC =\ sure..

w00master
Dec 23, 2006, 01:41 PM
AAC =\ sure..

Not sure what you mean, but the Zune does support AAC.

http://tinyurl.com/ybrwch

w00master

Winstonp
Dec 23, 2006, 02:35 PM

There's new software? I'm using the software from msft's zune website...

feelthefire
Dec 23, 2006, 03:57 PM

It won't play it directly, but the software will automatically format and encode it to WMV for you.

I like the zune a lot too. So I bought one. I like the metadata features of the zune software and the ease of creating video for it. And it syncs my pictures without &%^$% adobe album. That was a stupid move on apple's part...I don't want to manage my photos with one single program and since I don't happen to have iPhoto...well.

I'm liking my zune so far. Still not coughing up my 8gb nano, but am very happy with the ease of creating content for this device as compared to the iPod, since without a mac the video and photo features of the iPod require a pile of extra software.

Also nice to get FM radio without paying apple ANOTHER $50 for it.

macg4
Dec 23, 2006, 04:01 PM
i was at target the other day and did get a chance to play around with a zune while i was there. it looked huge and unfriendly. i think that it is difficult to navigate and i dont like that u have to turn it sideways to watch a video. the video was pretty decent but i still wouldnt trade my ipod for one

cecildk9999
Dec 23, 2006, 04:10 PM
Even though I'm solidly on a mac platform, I would like to give the Zune a spin just to see what it's all about (some of the stuff I saw online made it look flashy at times). But I haven't been anywhere that actually has a working model of the thing. :mad: :confused:

savar
Dec 23, 2006, 04:19 PM
i was at target the other day and did get a chance to play around with a zune while i was there. it looked huge and unfriendly. i think that it is difficult to navigate and i dont like that u have to turn it sideways to watch a video. the video was pretty decent but i still wouldnt trade my ipod for one

I saw one at FYE today. It was set up in a corner, literally behind a table of discount CDs. It was odd to me that I couldn't even get close enough to touch it...compared to the Apple store in the same mall where everybody is playing with and touching everything in the store.

From what I could tell it wasn't even a working unit. Just one of those empty shells -- like cell phones at Radio Shack used to be.

benfilan
Dec 23, 2006, 08:36 PM
the interface looks nice. but seriously? an iPod competitor? no. definitley not the zune is a piece of ****. its an exact example of microsofts' dull, unimaginative thinking. sure, the interface is nice, but how much of it have they stolen from the iPod and OsX?

stainlessliquid
Dec 23, 2006, 10:54 PM
The ipod has a better exterior design but the zune has a better interface. I guess it depends on where your priorities lie.

Personally I am beyond sick of ipods interface. Ive had a 3G ipod for years and have seen zero incentive for me to upgrade to the half assed updates Apple keeps throwing at the ipod. Theyve kept the interface the same since the very first ipod (color screen isnt an interface change). Add that to the fact that Ive never been impressed with it to begin with and you can see why the ipod has made me a disgruntled user (when I got the ipod I was more concerned with its exterior and itunes, the competition made you use MusicMatch or some other terrible software which I didnt want anywhere near my computer). The only positive thing about the interface is being able to scroll through long lists with the click wheel, but if the interface didnt suck so bad there would be no need to scroll threw insanely long lists hoping to find the name youre looking for, plus the amount of clicks you need to go through just to get to the song is nothing to brag about. Trying to use an ipod while driving is pretty much suicidal. Ive spent a little time with the Zune at Target and thought the interface was head and shoulders above the ipods. Not only does it look more like something youd see past the year 2003, but navigation is much quicker and easier with long lists. The interface was quick and easy and there was no need for a scroll wheel which the ipod desperately needs to make it usable.

Before I get another MP3 player Im still waiting to see what the next ipod is like. I know Apple is capable of making a much better interface, but the real question is "will they?" If Apple continues its trend of laziness when it comes to recycling old designs for all their products then my guess is that its just going to be the ipod we see today but with a larger HDD and bigger screen.

WhoAteMyApple?
Dec 24, 2006, 02:50 AM
My complaint is that the iPod is just too simple and plain. I mean, I like the minimalist style for home decor and electronics, but I think it goes too far. Sort of like a floating couch for a lving room. Plus if you have a really huge library, scrolling through it using the click wheel is tiring. The Zune lets you put photos and and up, I think that's cool. Plus the interface is just so much more interesting.

On the other hand, the iPod just allows you to focus on the content rather than the looks, in my opinion, which is cool for some people.

I'm not buying a Zune until they get a lot smaller and become Mac compatible, which is unlikely to ever happen.

Project
Dec 24, 2006, 02:57 AM
The Zune's UI is superb. I cant believe people dont like it.

The thing that lets it down is the Zune software. It has many WMP features stripped out yet runs about 50% slower. What gives?

feelthefire
Dec 24, 2006, 09:03 AM
the interface looks nice. but seriously? an iPod competitor? no. definitley not the zune is a piece of ****. its an exact example of microsofts' dull, unimaginative thinking. sure, the interface is nice, but how much of it have they stolen from the iPod and OsX?

uh...most of the interface was ripped from their own media center software...

best feature so far? if you press and hold the "back" button it takes you right back to the main menu, instead of having to backtrack out of it like the iPod makes you do.

I think the interface is great. And it's actually not as large as people think. its the same physical size as the 80gb iPod (which I don't see people complaining about much) but weighs significantly less. I've been hauling around a 60gb photo for years and compared to that this thing is itty bitty. No problem at all.

As far as the software, it is pretty memory hungry since it's in three pieces, so I'd imagine on some computers it would run pretty slow. Mine has slow moments but overall it seems to be doing well.

Can't wait to see the features enabled by firmware upgrade, something apple absolutely stinks at doing. They put all the new features on a new device to get you to buy another one, but MS has already done two firmware upgrades for the zune that change the way the album art works and some other nice things.

Dagless
Dec 24, 2006, 09:59 AM
I haven't used it yet (UK) but an article in Live! today said the Zune's motto is "like an iPod, but not as good". The reviewer didn't like it one bit. BUT. Radio. I never listen to the radio normally, but on my old MP3 player back in 2002, I lost all the music when I plugged it into an old G3 iMac. So instead of listening to nothing on the 2 hour walk home I stuck the radio on.

I'd love something like a smaller capacity iPod to have a radio. Very useful for when you grow tired of the same music and you're too far from your Mac.

Dagless
Dec 24, 2006, 10:03 AM
I think the interface is great. And it's actually not as large as people think. its the same physical size as the 80gb iPod (which I don't see people complaining about much) but weighs significantly less. I've been hauling around a 60gb photo for years and compared to that this thing is itty bitty. No problem at all.

um. so a 30gb Zune is the same size as an 80gb iPod :rolleyes: . I think I'd carry around something larger than the 80gb current size to hold that much friggin music. Zune should be smaller to say it has 50gb less.

feelthefire
Dec 24, 2006, 11:32 AM
um. so a 30gb Zune is the same size as an 80gb iPod :rolleyes: . I think I'd carry around something larger than the 80gb current size to hold that much friggin music. Zune should be smaller to say it has 50gb less.

The hard drives are the same size, the only difference and the reason the 80gb is so fat is because they stuffed two of them in there instead of using one. considering the zune also has all the wireless hardware stuffed in there, and a bigger display, I'd say I don't really care to judge the size of the player based only on capacity- especially since the zune weighs less.

my point is everyone complains that the zune is soooo huge and soooo big but nobody complains that the 80gb ipod, which is heavier, is sooo huge and sooo big, even though in physical size is IS bigger and therefore should be getting the same complaints.

clevin
Dec 24, 2006, 02:51 PM
There's new software? I'm using the software from msft's zune website...
see, the good thing about M$'s products is that there are always thrid-party softwares to crack any limitations, which is very impressive. "official" means nothing in M$'s products.

clevin
Dec 24, 2006, 02:53 PM
I'd love something like a smaller capacity iPod to have a radio. Very useful for when you grow tired of the same music and you're too far from your Mac.
2nd this, only thing practically prevent me from using an iPod.

brownboi512
Dec 24, 2006, 11:00 PM
apple ipod FTW!!!11!1

Tymmz
Dec 25, 2006, 04:40 AM
best feature so far? if you press and hold the "back" button it takes you right back to the main menu, instead of having to backtrack out of it like the iPod makes you do.

If you keep the menu button on the clickwheel pressed it will bring you straight back to the main menu as well.

definitely a nice feature.

Passante
Dec 25, 2006, 05:20 AM
If you keep the menu button on the clickwheel pressed it will bring you straight back to the main menu as well.

definitely a nice feature.

i just held the menu button on my ipod with touchwheel and it turned the back light on.

Its three quick clicks on the menu button to get back to the main menu. Don't see how thats a big deal.

Dec 25, 2006, 08:21 AM
i just held the menu button on my ipod with touchwheel and it turned the back light on.

A firmware update (for the more recent ipods) replaces the hold-the-menu-button-to-turn-on-the-backlight feature with the hold to go back to the main menu feature.