PDA

View Full Version : did service provider break my ibook ???

Gokhan
Dec 22, 2006, 06:53 PM
hi guys

well where do i begin ?? basicly i purchased a ibook g4 14" 1.33ghz that had its harddrive upgraded by a apple service provider. About two weeks after this upgrade took place the harddrive started playing up and the machine would not see the boot volume on the drive when restarted or every now and then the machine would freeze after some time of use, a few hours maybe. i ran apple hardware test and it came back clean after zapping the pram and disk warrioring the drive it fixed this for a day then it started again oh well !!!!

so i sent it back to the service provider who said yep its the hadrdrive goody !!! oh NO he calls back the next day and says the new harddrive is not reconized and that they tried a new ribbon cable WTF when i sent it in the machine saw the harddrive via target disk mode all the time it just didnt see the boot volume.

NOW his saying its the logicboard **** sake !!! so my question could this machines logicboard be fried when it was fine before i sent it in , i mean the ide controller was fine i checked it and now im faced with a brick !!!

what do i do ????

Gokhan
Dec 22, 2006, 08:11 PM
anybody some help would be nice whats the matter with this place i get blanked for having a opinion :confused:

Kane.Elson
Dec 22, 2006, 08:19 PM
What do you want us to say ?
You have a broken notebook that is pretty hard to diagnose over the internet. I would trust the apple repairer on this one and either get it fixed or buy a new one.

mad jew
Dec 22, 2006, 08:20 PM
How did you check the IDE controller?

MaaseyRacer
Dec 23, 2006, 12:04 AM
It worked for a week. I cannot think of any thing that the service provider did that would make it last that long, and then break down. Sounds like your board just went bad.

Gokhan
Dec 23, 2006, 05:56 PM
thanks

i understand its hard to diagonse this over the net but im only asking for your input guys !

anyways i checked the ide controller in sys profiler about 8-10 times starting form an external drive and it came up all the time with the internal ones info so it was fine !

also i barely used it the week after he did the upgrade maybe 2 times
so .......

oh well supposedly im getting the new unreconized drive back with the machine.

dont know what else to do really the logic board seems fine apart from the hadrdrive issue ???

pianoman
Dec 23, 2006, 06:04 PM
sounds like you need to give a call to whomever you purchased the iBook from and ask what the deal is with their shoddy workmanship. replacing the hard drive should not cause the logic board to fail nor should you have to worry about that (there should be some type of warranty from the place you bought it).

if you're past the warranty date or the reseller denies responsibility, your choices are pretty clear: abandon ship or shut up and pay up.

Spock
Dec 23, 2006, 07:06 PM
sounds like you need to give a call to whomever you purchased the iBook from and ask what the deal is with their shoddy workmanship. replacing the hard drive should not cause the logic board to fail nor should you have to worry about that (there should be some type of warranty from the place you bought it).

if you're past the warranty date or the reseller denies responsibility, your choices are pretty clear: abandon ship or shut up and pay up.

I would say since the case was opened and the Hard Disk replaced the warranty is void.

Gokhan
Dec 23, 2006, 07:55 PM
well funny that someone at the apple store said no matter what dies on the machine if it was worked on by a service provider within 3 months upgrade warranty i should be covered but the provider denies this and says the hadrdrive and logicboard are unrelated !!! arggghhh

MaaseyRacer
Dec 24, 2006, 01:57 PM
The Apple Store mislead you. The Autherized service provider policy is that, there is a 90 day garuntee on all work done by the provider. Meaning if it was not done by the provider, and you do not have AppleCare, I would look towards a new computer.

Gokhan
Dec 24, 2006, 05:44 PM
cool thanks man

Gokhan
Dec 25, 2006, 08:04 PM
well the hadrdrive upgrade was carried out by the service provider the machine was never opened before it went to the service provider !!!!
im just gonna get my machine back now great £45 and the things more ****ed up then it went way to the so service PROVIDER :rolleyes: