PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors Forums, Macworld San Francisco 2007 Coming Soon...

MacRumors
Dec 26, 2006, 09:59 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With the holidays bringing in new Mac and iPod users, readers are reminded to register (http://forums.macrumors.com/register.php) for our Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/).

MacRumors' forums offer friendly assistance and lively discussion for both new and old Apple users. We also represent one of the largest Apple-focused forums on the Internet. Beginners can start in either the Mac Basics and Help (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78) and iPod/iTunes Discussion (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75), or choose a topic-specific forum:

- Mac Pro & Power Mac (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
- MacBook & MacBook Pro (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
- iMac, eMac, Mac mini (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
- Mac Applications (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
- Mac OS X (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
- Buying Tips (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)

Meanwhile, MacRumors Spy (http://spy.macrumors.com/) provides a real-time view of the latest posts to the forum.

Macworld Expo 2007 (http://www.macworldexpo.com) takes place from January 8th-January 12th 2007. Steve Jobs will give the Keynote Speech (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061003131531.shtml) on January 9th at 9am Pacific time. MacRumors will be there, as always, and provide live coverage (http://www.macrumorslive.com/) of the keynote as well as ongoing coverage of the expo. This year, we will be incorporating near real-time photos into our live AJAX update system (http://www.macrumorslive.com/about/). Last year's MacRumors MWSF keynote coverage attracted over 100,000 simultaneous web visitors (http://www.macrumors.com/events/mwsf2006-stats.php).

The forums should remain online throughout the keynote coverage and onward, as server capacity is being expanded to handle the additional traffic.

Ktulu
Dec 26, 2006, 10:05 PM
My company is sending me to Flash Forward...which is being hosted by Macworld this year.I'll get both confrences in one trip. AWESOME!:D

amacgenius
Dec 26, 2006, 10:08 PM
I might have to take a "sick day" from school that day, I'm excited for MWSF, and always MacRumors has great coverage :).

VanMac
Dec 26, 2006, 10:08 PM
Looking forward to the great coverage as always. Thanks for posting arn.

Flowbee
Dec 26, 2006, 10:09 PM
Can't wait to see photos incorporated into the keynote coverage. Sounds awesome. And forums staying up throughout? Truly amazing.

For anyone planning to attend MacWorld this year, I've started a "roll call" thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=256873). Post there to let us know if you're going.

kcroy
Dec 26, 2006, 10:13 PM
Jan 8th=Buckeyes win the National Championship
Jan=9th thru 12th =Apple Suprises Galore

pknz
Dec 26, 2006, 10:14 PM
Woo! Photos nice...

So 2008 will be live video feed:cool:

Flowbee
Dec 26, 2006, 10:16 PM
Woo! Photos nice...

So 2008 will be live video feed:cool:

Using iChat Mobile, no doubt...

CHROMEDOME
Dec 26, 2006, 10:21 PM
I can't wait...This will be my first Macworld!

Nar1117
Dec 26, 2006, 10:26 PM
How have I never known about Macrumors Spy? Its quite neat.

EricNau
Dec 26, 2006, 10:26 PM
It's truly amazing how much this site has grown in just the (almost) two years I've been participating.

This year we'll have live coverage with photos!? ...absolutely brilliant.

I can't wait!

Gump
Dec 26, 2006, 10:38 PM
I am very excited to see OSU win on January 8th and see the big releases from Mac on January 9th!

I'm a PC user and a Mac fan....if they release a 12 inch MacBook Pro I'm making the official hardware switch!

iJawn108
Dec 26, 2006, 10:42 PM
I'm sooo excited for this macworld. It's like christmas 2.:D

Chundles
Dec 26, 2006, 10:42 PM
Well, looks like my 4am MWSF annual vigil is coming up. I apologise to all in advance for my soon to be incoherent and cranky posts disparaging all those who post endless repeats of information we've already seen.

Just a rule to keep the MWSF thread nice and civil - if you think you've found new and pertinent information we've probably already seen it so check the thread by searching for some keywords from your info before posting.

Thanks.

failsafe1
Dec 26, 2006, 10:45 PM
Can't wait. I secretly watch while I am at work.

swingerofbirch
Dec 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
Are we posting predictions here? Let's see...all the Macs are up to date in my opinion, except for the Mini, which could see a Core Two Duo update.

iTV is a given, as Jobs has already foretold its coming.

I believe Apple when they say that Leopard is due in Spring. So at MW, I expect we will hear updates on Leopard's development and how much developers love it, and there will likely be some jabs at Microsoft, and a showing of the David Pogue video which shows how Vista copied OS X elements.

Jobs will talk about how everyone loves the Get a Mac ads and will show a new one.

He'll talk about the success of the iPod line, point out that Gates took his advice in making a closed ecosystem with Zune, and possibly re-emphasize the increased sexiness of sharing an earbud versus beaming a song. He'll mention that the Shuffle has exceeded their wildest expectations, Nike Plus iPod is a critical and commercial success, and that Disney is thrilled with posting movies on iTunes.

Apple will introduce iLife and iWork 07, and iWork will include a spreadsheet App.

That's about all I'm expecting right now......

Virtualball
Dec 26, 2006, 10:59 PM
I can't wait!!! I still wonder who gives negative reviews on this story?! What is so wrong about this?

SeaFox
Dec 26, 2006, 11:17 PM
Are we posting predictions here? Let's see...all the Macs are up to date in my opinion, except for the Mini, which could see a Core Two Duo update.

Actually, there's a thread already running here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=263201).

aswitcher
Dec 26, 2006, 11:20 PM
Well, looks like my 4am MWSF annual vigil is coming up. I apologise to all in advance for my soon to be incoherent and cranky posts disparaging all those who post endless repeats of information we've already seen.

Just a rule to keep the MWSF thread nice and civil - if you think you've found new and pertinent information we've probably already seen it so check the thread by searching for some keywords from your info before posting.

Thanks.

See you at 4am Chundles. I have that whole week off ;)

I have a few grand to spend on a multimedia Mac. And some more for an iPhone (...whatever its called).

IJ Reilly
Dec 26, 2006, 11:21 PM
I apologise to all in advance for my soon to be incoherent and cranky posts ...

You mean they were ever anything else?

;)

dlastmango
Dec 26, 2006, 11:27 PM
I am very excited to see OSU win on January 8th and see the big releases from Mac on January 9th!

Don't you mean OSU will TRY TO WIN...on January 8th.

GO GATORS!!!
sadly...I'm leaving for the Czech Republic tomorrow at 9am. But I'm thankful for my SLINGBOX and MAC RUMORS for keeping me in touch with everything important in my life...APPLES AND GATORS!!!

CHOMP!

tcrab
Dec 26, 2006, 11:31 PM
I wish time between now and the 8th will fly by because I would like to order me a Macbook but want to make sure no updates would happen before I do

It is just like waiting for Christmas again.

ChickenSwartz
Dec 26, 2006, 11:36 PM
Don't you mean OSU will TRY TO WIN...on January 8th.

GO GATORS!!!
sadly...I'm leaving for the Czech Republic tomorrow at 9am. But I'm thankful for my SLINGBOX and MAC RUMORS for keeping me in touch with everything important in my life...APPLES AND GATORS!!!

CHOMP!

Jan. 8: Florida Gators crowned BCS national champions completing the SEC's domination of the '06 bowl season (9 0f 12 SEC teams are in bowls :eek: )

Jan. 9: MacWorld 2007 (Steve wouldn't dare start this event until the Bowls were done)

Going to be an exciting week, can't wait.

~Shard~
Dec 26, 2006, 11:41 PM
Great to hear about the enhanced coverage for MWSF this year - I will be one of the many who will be relying on MacRumors to keep me as up-to-date as possible. And then of course there's my lucky brother who will be there in person... :rolleyes: ;) :D

treblah
Dec 26, 2006, 11:56 PM
Sound like some really nice improvements.

So who's taking a personal day on the 9th? ;)

luminosity
Dec 27, 2006, 12:03 AM
this will be my second MWSF. It seems unbelievable that a year has gone by, and also how far the mac world has come in that time. Where once the best mac processors lagged behind the best processors in the PC world, now the Macbook Pro is among the best and also the fastest laptops in the world, and likewise for the Mac Pro in desktops. The iMac is better than ever, and its a good time to be a mac addict :).

Lixivial
Dec 27, 2006, 12:08 AM
I always love MWSF. It's just a perfect cap to the holiday season, and a wonderful way to start off the new year. :)

Looking forward to the pictures in the live coverage. Back when I had more free time, I'd lurk Ars' IRC room, but having it in my browser is much more convenient. Leave it up at work, and during my brief times at the desk, check the page. Thanks for all the hard work, arn & co.

Can't believe it's less than two weeks away now... really snuck up on me this year!

iMacZealot
Dec 27, 2006, 12:09 AM
How have I never known about Macrumors Spy? Its quite neat.

Hey, the 1930's just e-mailed me and they want their lingo back.
(Sorry, I had to say it)

We also represent one of the largest Apple-focused forums on the internet.

IS there a bigger one??? :confused:

hokullani
Dec 27, 2006, 12:54 AM
make sure the sight i can see on my phone gets updated so i can catch the updates from class!!!!

FadeToBlack
Dec 27, 2006, 01:12 AM
Why would someone rate this a negative?

Nice improvements. Looking forward to the MR coverage of MacWorld this year. The live coverage was excellent last year and will be better this year with photos. :cool:

Nar1117
Dec 27, 2006, 01:20 AM
Hey, the 1930's just e-mailed me and they want their lingo back.
(Sorry, I had to say it)

Hey toots, watch that big mouth of yours, or ill have you do the Lindy-Hop with not but your skivies! Groovy? :D :D

know-it-all5
Dec 27, 2006, 01:27 AM
As it has been made quite clear within this thread, Jobs has mentioned the iminent release of the Itv. This IMHO is a big reason to expect a 6g ipod. I dunno if it will be full screen or touch screen, but I think Itv means a lot more than just a new product.

Itv being introduced causes a forced domino affect of things to be introduced at macworld.

1st. If Jobs is introducing an Itv, he must have more movie viewing contractual agreements, otherwise the Itv would serve little purpose. He made it quite clear using repeated showings of movies and shows using the Itv at the september event. If there is an Itv, Jobs must have more movie studios.
Plus: It would make perfect sense that more movie studios hop on to Itunes now, because previous rumors indicated they didn't want to affect the dvd buying holiday season. Thus, rumors indicated they would join after Christmas.

2nd. One delay on the Ipod Video 6g was the fact that Jobs was waiting for more people to hop on the itunes movies store. He couldn't unveil it in September, because only disney hopped on. Thus, he delayed consumers with some minor screen and hard drive upgrades. This is still a 5g ipod. In the current market, these Ipods are getting technologically behind. Apple is due for a new ipod. Jobs just bought some time.

3rd. I think the two main presentations by jobs will involve the music and movies with itv and ipod. The other topic will be Leopard.

THERE WILL BE NO IPHONE UNTIL AT LEAST APRIL!!!

Other possibilities include- one of the following
mac mini C2D update
display upgrade
hifi upgrade or pricedrop

iW00t
Dec 27, 2006, 01:32 AM

Thanks.

After my "snowy" MBP experience I guess I will go to the stores to check out whatever new ultrathin MBP that may be unveiled before committing to a purchase :o

iTV would be exempt from the above though ;)

CrackedButter
Dec 27, 2006, 02:16 AM
I'm sooo excited for this macworld. It's like christmas 2.:D

Maybe for you, but to some people on the boards, its the first xmas of the year out of 3, to others like myself, its the ONLY xmas. :D

Balli
Dec 27, 2006, 02:22 AM
Does anyone know what time / date Steve's keynote is in GMT?

Blue Velvet
Dec 27, 2006, 02:26 AM
Does anyone know what time / date Steve's keynote is in GMT?

5pm :)

D34thPwny
Dec 27, 2006, 02:48 AM
mmm... pictures... *drool*

Balli
Dec 27, 2006, 04:20 AM
5pm :)

Perfect, I should be at home at 5:30pm (just in time to read the the interesting bits!)

Compile 'em all
Dec 27, 2006, 04:35 AM

iTV is a given, as Jobs has already foretold its coming.

I believe Apple when they say that Leopard is due in Spring. So at MW, I expect we will hear updates on Leopard's development and how much developers love it, and there will likely be some jabs at Microsoft, and a showing of the David Pogue video which shows how Vista copied OS X elements.

Jobs will talk about how everyone loves the Get a Mac ads and will show a new one.

He'll talk about the success of the iPod line, point out that Gates took his advice in making a closed ecosystem with Zune, and possibly re-emphasize the increased sexiness of sharing an earbud versus beaming a song. He'll mention that the Shuffle has exceeded their wildest expectations, Nike Plus iPod is a critical and commercial success, and that Disney is thrilled with posting movies on iTunes.

Apple will introduce iLife and iWork 07, and iWork will include a spreadsheet App.

That's about all I'm expecting right now......

Dude, that would be terrible :mad:. No new Macs or Phones!!

mattalici
Dec 27, 2006, 04:36 AM
Dear Boss,

I'm fully sick, fully, full on, full full of disease and I need the day off, just today, I got your back tomorrow. I won't be able to bring a doctor's note, however, because your cheap ass won't spring for insurance, not that I care, I never get sick, except for today, the 9th of January. Now, if that slut bag Gwendolyn says, "he's only staying home because of that Apple thing", she has no idea what she's freakin talking about and you should know she expensed her last three fake tans. (Silverlake Sun is not a bar she took clients to, it's where she gets that spray bake crap and THAT'S why she smells like pennies, sorry I didn't tell you before, I kinda hate you.) Ok, thanks for understanding, and one last thing, Ed in I.T. said switching to Macs WAS a good idea, although he doesn't want to talk about it, and that you should ok the P.O. for the 72 Mac Pro's I've got sitting on my desk. See you tomorrow, beeyotch! (<-- means buddy, my niece says it!):D

Your employee,
Mattalicious

Donz0r
Dec 27, 2006, 05:03 AM
anyone else notice that Jan. 9th is exactly 16 days after christmas eve and the return policy is for 15 days... I got my brother a 30gig ipod for xmas :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis
Dec 27, 2006, 05:27 AM
anyone else notice that Jan. 9th is exactly 16 days after christmas eve and the return policy is for 15 days... I got my brother a 30gig ipod for xmas :rolleyes:

but you'd have to have bought it before christmas as most gifts are, no? so wouldn't it really be even more time?

koobcamuk
Dec 27, 2006, 06:12 AM
but you'd have to have bought it before christmas as most gifts are, no? so wouldn't it really be even more time?

He is saying he bought it on Christmas eve.

thedude110
Dec 27, 2006, 08:33 AM
Sound like some really nice improvements.

So who's taking a personal day on the 9th? ;)

I am so freaking tempted. But with as much time off as I have now, and another holiday built into January, I don't know if live coverage would be enough to allow me to transcend my own guilt. :rolleyes:

Thanks as always to Arn and the whole MR team -- impossible, these things you do for all of us.

agfrg
Dec 27, 2006, 08:43 AM
I am thinking how lucky I am! I live in Portugal, and here the keynote will be at 5 PM!

It will be a great keynote.

bbabics
Dec 27, 2006, 08:45 AM
As it has been made quite clear within this thread, Jobs has mentioned the iminent release of the Itv. This IMHO is a big reason to expect a 6g ipod. I dunno if it will be full screen or touch screen, but I think Itv means a lot more than just a new product.

Itv being introduced causes a forced domino affect of things to be introduced at macworld.

1st. If Jobs is introducing an Itv, he must have more movie viewing contractual agreements, otherwise the Itv would serve little purpose. He made it quite clear using repeated showings of movies and shows using the Itv at the september event. If there is an Itv, Jobs must have more movie studios.
Plus: It would make perfect sense that more movie studios hop on to Itunes now, because previous rumors indicated they didn't want to affect the dvd buying holiday season. Thus, rumors indicated they would join after Christmas.

2nd. One delay on the Ipod Video 6g was the fact that Jobs was waiting for more people to hop on the itunes movies store. He couldn't unveil it in September, because only disney hopped on. Thus, he delayed consumers with some minor screen and hard drive upgrades. This is still a 5g ipod. In the current market, these Ipods are getting technologically behind. Apple is due for a new ipod. Jobs just bought some time.

3rd. I think the two main presentations by jobs will involve the music and movies with itv and ipod. The other topic will be Leopard.

THERE WILL BE NO IPHONE UNTIL AT LEAST APRIL!!!

Other possibilities include- one of the following
mac mini C2D update
display upgrade
hifi upgrade or pricedrop

Bring on the iTV!!! I already canceled my Comcast cable tv service in favor of switching to the ALA CARTE TV method via torrent and free tv episodes on the major network websites. The hardest part about doing all of this was convincing my wife to jump ship and try something new. She was hesitant at first but once she saw the $80/mo. price drop she's become an advocate for TV ALA CARTE. And iTV will only make this whole transition that much more worth it. Bring it on APPLE!!!!

azentropy
Dec 27, 2006, 08:59 AM
I just hope it is a MACWorld this year and not another IPODWorld!

iKwick7
Dec 27, 2006, 09:21 AM
I never noticed the forum spy before and I gotta say= pretty darn cool! Now I have yet another thing to distract me while I am at work. :)

AtHomeBoy_2000
Dec 27, 2006, 09:52 AM
Using iChat Mobile, no doubt...

oh yea, live video wont crash the servers at all... ;)

Machead III
Dec 27, 2006, 09:52 AM

For real.

I'm not expecting any new Macs, but it's about time we had a serious dose of new software - iWork and iLife 07 for sure, by all rights some new, original apps, and if not an earlier release of a much more radical Leopard, certainly lots of info on it.

iPhone? Maybe. iTV? Of course, but I hope it doesn't dominate.

sachamun
Dec 27, 2006, 10:03 AM
C'mon, why don't you do what we're all secretly doing inside...post a tacky java countdown to Macworld!

sachamun
Dec 27, 2006, 10:12 AM
I am thinking how lucky I am! I live in Portugal, and here the keynote will be at 5 PM!

It will be a great keynote.

Looks like it could be shaping up to almost be one of these keynotes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgTW3R4FmHo

papaburgundy
Dec 27, 2006, 10:16 AM
Really hope this year's expo does not disappoint. Like many of you, I have been holding off on making my apple purchases. You can bet I will be watching.:cool:

cecildk9999
Dec 27, 2006, 10:17 AM
At least I'll have something to look forward to after the close of another disgusting Buckeyes football season; but on the plus side, I'll be riding the high provided by Michigan trouncing USC Jan. 1st :D .

I would like a debut of iTV with more movie studios available, and a new video iPod design to boot. Despite its being macworld, I think we're gonna see some new 'accessory' products before Apple refocuses on its core (heheh) computer products.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 27, 2006, 10:28 AM
I am looking forward to this keynote. If nothing else, the new information revealed about Leopard will be interesting. I'm particularly curious about some of these rumors circulating about unreleased Leopard features, such as the one that Mac OS Rumors (link no longer available) mentioned a while ago about a feature for Intel Macs only that would provide a feature like the Hibernate feature in Windows, only better... since this would additionally allow for resuming from a known good state after a system crash :D

phillipjfry
Dec 27, 2006, 10:35 AM
I am looking forward to this keynote. If nothing else, the new information revealed about Leopard will be interesting. I'm particularly curious about some of these rumors circulating about unreleased Leopard features, such as the one that Mac OS Rumors (link no longer available) mentioned a while ago about a feature for Intel Macs only that would provide a feature like the Hibernate feature in Windows, only better... since this would additionally allow for resuming from a known good state after a system crash :D

I thought that was the whole purpose of having OSX, to avoid the need of "good states after a system crash" :)

I'm thirsty for any and all kinds of information on leopard. Somehow I just need to make it to the end of January, and then I'll have my precious new 24'' Imac :cool:

wrldwzrd89
Dec 27, 2006, 10:45 AM
I thought that was the whole purpose of having OSX, to avoid the need of "good states after a system crash" :)

I'm thirsty for any and all kinds of information on leopard. Somehow I just need to make it to the end of January, and then I'll have my precious new 24'' Imac :cool:
Yes, you are right... but in the rare instances that Mac OS X does crash, at least you'll be able to get back to work with minimal or no loss, which you can't easily do now - assuming this actually gets implemented.

While we're on the topic of new Macs... I'm considering getting an Intel Mac myself, but I'm holding off until Leopard's release, at the earliest.

twoodcc
Dec 27, 2006, 10:50 AM
seems like a nice improvement for Macrumors. glad to see it.

can't wait til the 9th !!!:cool:

tsvb
Dec 27, 2006, 11:07 AM
I'm very interested to see if they do anything to the mini besides a processor upgrade. iTV will be interesting to see as well. :)

TheGent
Dec 27, 2006, 11:42 AM
At least I'll have something to look forward to after the close of another disgusting Buckeyes football season; but on the plus side, I'll be riding the high provided by Michigan trouncing USC Jan. 1st :D .

All this Buckeye bashing... it's enough to make me regret finally registering to the forums. :)

diehldun
Dec 27, 2006, 12:17 PM
Why on earth would 13 people rate this thread as 'negative'? :confused:

swarmster
Dec 27, 2006, 02:52 PM
Why on earth would 13 people rate this thread as 'negative'? :confused:

See previous comment about the Buckeye bashing?

;)

iMacZealot
Dec 27, 2006, 03:03 PM
I'm planning on buying iWork '07 if it looks cool enough and if it'll beat out Microsoft Office, which I'm getting tired of. I probably won't buy iLife '07 unless if it has a ton of new features because for me, I already have iTunes, I use FCE for all my editing and iMovie for only importing, and I never published my .mac site I made in iWeb in January '06, and I'm not sure if I'm going to renew my .mac this February. Of iLife '06, I use iPhoto the most for family pictures. I use GarageBand's podcast music for my FinalCut movies, and I do occasionally whip them out into an iDVD.

I don't care about the bloody iPhone anymore because "Santa" brought me a Sidekick. :)

I've been thinking about saving up for another mac. My iMac G5 rev. 2 is still an amazing machine, but the speed of these intels are really appealing. I've been thinking of saving up for a MacBook (now that I'm $250 wealthier :) ) so I can edit on the road, too.

Sad to sasy it, but I only use my iPod for when I'm travelling, and I think spending money on a new iPod would be useless for me.

I guess I'll just wait and see...

know-it-all5
Dec 27, 2006, 03:20 PM

I would prefer a both world that includes a new video ipod

Multimedia
Dec 27, 2006, 06:11 PM
Since my January 1985 MacWorld Expo Booth in Brooks Hall, I have attended every MacWorld Expo for the past 22 years. This is the 23rd annual meeting of the Mac-Most-Attentive in San Francisco.

January 9, 2007 Steve Jobs SteveNote

Leopard Demo With Shipping Month if not exact date announced.
iTV - WiFi HDTV Streaming Multimedia Server ships Today
640 x 360 Widescreen iPod ships February
8 Core Mac Pro - Dual Clovertown ships end of February
Core 2 Duo Mini Shipping Now

News Shuffle is the fastest selling "mp3" player in history.

I could be wrong. :D

AidenShaw
Dec 27, 2006, 08:32 PM
8 Core Mac Pro - Dual Clovertown ships end of February
End of Feb?? You can drop the new CPUs into the existing sockets, and all the other guys are shipping Octos today.

These could ship anyday...

iTV - WiFi HDTV Streaming Multimedia Server ships Today
Nope. (In my opinion, of course ;) )

Steve will show a couple of super-secret things from 10.5 - in particular the "Media Centre Edition" feature where Front Row grows up and becomes the true living room 10-foot UI.

iTV is just the "Media Centre Extender" component of the 10.5 MCE. If it ships before 10.5, the Lord God Jobs will have to give people a glimpse of the MCE to fill in the big picture.

The big news, though, will be the quad-core Kentsfield mini-tower home-theatre pizza box that will be introduced at MWSF. Remember that Intel is announcing Kentsfield at CES the day before the SteveNote.... Put 2 and 2 together...

aswitcher
Dec 27, 2006, 08:36 PM
Do we think Apple will manufacture its own 5.1 speaker system?

turtlebud
Dec 27, 2006, 08:42 PM
will we see new ipods? seems like the nano just got updated, ditto with the shuffle, the only candidate is the video ipod, but that seems to be in constant delay. maybe size bumps for the nano to a 10 or 15 gig model?

GregA
Dec 27, 2006, 08:53 PM
I'm very interested to see if they do anything to the mini besides a processor upgrade. iTV will be interesting to see as well. :)Yes. And I do hope that the MacMini has all the functionality of the cheaper iTV (eg: Component Video out).
Steve will show a couple of super-secret things from 10.5 - in particular the "Media Centre Edition" feature where Front Row grows up and becomes the true living room 10-foot UI.

iTV is just the "Media Centre Extender" component of the 10.5 MCE. If it ships before 10.5, the Lord God Jobs will have to give people a glimpse of the MCE to fill in the big picture.There's some sense to 10.5 and iTV being linked - in that both have a vague release date, and perhaps they will release them both simultaneously.

However, I hope that the iTV works with iTunes on Windows. This opens up a vastly larger market - anybody with an iPod will have iTunes, and the iTV will be the perfect extension to what they've got.

Multimedia
Dec 27, 2006, 09:47 PM
End of Feb?? You can drop the new CPUs into the existing sockets, and all the other guys are shipping Octos today.

These could ship anyday...I thought Apple is waiting for Stoakley-Seaburg (SS) (http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/clovertown/index.x?pg=1) support chips to make it work better in the first edition. That's why I imagine a longer launch time. Are SS shipping in quantity already?Steve will show a couple of super-secret things from 10.5 - in particular the "Media Centre Edition" feature where Front Row grows up and becomes the true living room 10-foot UI.

iTV is just the "Media Centre Extender" component of the 10.5 MCE. If it ships before 10.5, the Lord God Jobs will have to give people a glimpse of the MCE to fill in the big picture.I forgot about Leopard. Of course that will be a big part of it perhaps with a tighter when shipping time announced.The big news, though, will be the quad-core Kentsfield mini-tower home-theatre pizza box that will be introduced at MWSF. Remember that Intel is announcing Kentsfield at CES the day before the SteveNote.... Put 2 and 2 together...I sure hope you're right. I agree it should happen. I've just kind of given up on that it will and when. I wish they'd put Kentsfield in a mini with an ATI Graphics card.

Max Payne
Dec 27, 2006, 09:58 PM
Looks like it could be shaping up to almost be one of these keynotes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgTW3R4FmHo

I used this Mac in 1990. It was the first computer I ever used. I played crazy cars and prince of persia games in it and they were the best games I ever played.

BlackDan
Dec 28, 2006, 03:12 AM
My company is sending me to macworld as well. I'll be arriving in SF the evening of the 4th. First time in the US :o

Anybody got any tips on how to fill my days till the 9th? Macrumors meetup perhaps?

iMacZealot
Dec 28, 2006, 03:47 AM
My company is sending me to macworld as well. I'll be arriving in SF the evening of the 4th. First time in the US :o

Anybody got any tips on how to fill my days till the 9th? Macrumors meetup perhaps?

If you have a rental car, drive up to Sonoma Valley. You could also do all the touristy things in San Fran. I can recommend a ton of great drives for you.

BlackDan
Dec 28, 2006, 04:10 AM
If you have a rental car, drive up to Sonoma Valley. You could also do all the touristy things in San Fran. I can recommend a ton of great drives for you.

no car.

I wanna do some tourist stuff, I've got a city guide from national geographic, but I think I wanna see some things that only locals now. It's the same in every city in the world: The best places are kept secret :cool: Those are the ones I wanna see :D Some cool Bars perhaps, a nice restaurant, ... you know, fun stuff.

digitalbiker
Dec 28, 2006, 04:53 PM
I sure hope you're right. I agree it should happen. I've just kind of given up on that it will and when. I wish they'd put Kentsfield in a mini with an ATI Graphics card.

I've fallen behind on my Intel tech but I am thinking about getting a new mac pro when it goes octo.

What's the biggest difference between two quad Kentsfields in an octo mac pro or two quad clovertowns in an octo mac pro?

Is there any big reason to wait for newer tech beyond this first quarter?

I was thinking of buying a new mac pro once it went octo and 10.5 was announced along with iLife'07'? That way I get the most recent tech and software at the sametime.

~Shard~
Dec 28, 2006, 06:33 PM
I was thinking of buying a new mac pro once it went octo and 10.5 was announced along with iLife'07'? That way I get the most recent tech and software at the sametime.

Ah, but if you wait for Leopard in April/May then something even better for the Mac Pro will only be a month or two away after that, and then after that another update, and then.... :p ;)

digitalbiker
Dec 28, 2006, 06:41 PM
Ah, but if you wait for Leopard in April/May then something even better for the Mac Pro will only be a month or two away after that, and then after that another update, and then.... :p ;)

Please don't make me think about this any more than past March. :eek: Commiting is the hardest part of buying a mac.:confused:
The easy part is dreaming about a new mac.:D

~Shard~
Dec 28, 2006, 07:47 PM
Please don't make me think about this any more than past March. :eek: Commiting is the hardest part of buying a mac.:confused:
The easy part is dreaming about a new mac.:D

Sorry man. ;) Yeah, I agree with ya 100%.. :cool:

Multimedia
Dec 28, 2006, 11:21 PM
I've fallen behind on my Intel tech but I am thinking about getting a new mac pro when it goes octo.

What's the biggest difference between two quad Kentsfields in an octo mac pro or two quad clovertowns in an octo mac pro?

Is there any big reason to wait for newer tech beyond this first quarter?

I was thinking of buying a new mac pro once it went octo and 10.5 was announced along with iLife'07'? That way I get the most recent tech and software at the sametime.My plan is same as yours. But I will buy the first 8 core Mac Pro as soon as it ships. I'm likely to buy the Developer Connection $500 kit that includes a big discount on one Mac + Leopard when it ships. Should break even or even save a little on the 8 core that way.

Are you subscribed to our 8 Core Mac Pro Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=245836&page=23)? We're up to 23 pages and 551 posts.

iMacZealot
Dec 28, 2006, 11:23 PM
no car.

I wanna do some tourist stuff, I've got a city guide from national geographic, but I think I wanna see some things that only locals now. It's the same in every city in the world: The best places are kept secret :cool: Those are the ones I wanna see :D Some cool Bars perhaps, a nice restaurant, ... you know, fun stuff.

Bar: Slim's (http://www.slims-sf.com/). It's near the Oakland Bay Bridge, and there's a concert almost everynight, but It'd be worth it, especially if you love rock.

Restaurant: Zachary's Pizza. (http://www.zacharys.com/) It's amazing! It's been voted the best pizza in the bay area for several years. It does require a trek over to Oakland, but it'd be worth a cab ride. (By the way, there's nothing else in Oakland. Zachary's is considered to be in Berkeley, but is technically Oakland. Just stay away from the rest of Oakland.) Be warned that it's $4 and a large portion of your time to cross the Oakland Bay Bridge because they're "building" a new one, but if you want a nice restaurant, this is it.

A boatride to Sausalito or Alcatraz is always fun (more of the former than the latter, in my opinion.)

Here's something fun: Walk the Golden gate from the city to Maurin (the county on the north side) and back and stop by one of the beaches nearby while you're at it.

Visit the giant Apple Store that I prefer to call the Mac Mecca. (http://www.apple.com/retail/sanfrancisco/week/20061224.html)

You can ride on a cable car, which is a lot of fun, but it requires a LOT of waiting.

Ghirardelli Square (http://www.ghirardelli.com/shops/ghirardellisq.aspx) has nothing there to do, but is something to see.

Pretty Sights:Mount Diablo (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=517) is an amazing site (you can see Yellowstone from the top of it on a good day)! It's in the East Bay, and it might be hard for you go get there, but I really really encourage you to go there if you can. The Muir Woods (http://www.nps.gov/muwo/) and Stinson Beach (http://www.stinsonbeachonline.com/) are also very highly recommended, especially if you love to see pretty sights.

And, of course, you can always find things by just walking around.

Out of all of these, besides the touristy things, I'd highly recommend you see the Muir Woods of Mount Diablo. They're amazing! My sisters live in the East Bay, so I know more about that area, but I know San Francisco pretty well and those are my recommendations and un-recommendations.

Have fun in San Fran! Tell me how it goes!

digitalbiker
Dec 28, 2006, 11:37 PM
My plan is same as yours. But I will buy the first 8 core Mac Pro as soon as it ships. I'm likely to buy the Developer Connection $500 kit that includes a big discount on one Mac + Leopard when it ships. Should break even or even save a little on the 8 core that way.

Are you subscribed to our 8 Core Mac Pro Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=245836&page=23)? We're up to 23 pages and 551 posts.

Thanks for the info!:D

That's a good idea about the developer connection kit. It never occurred to me that this might be a good way to go considering I will want to upgrade to Leopard if the Octo is released well before leopard.

BlackDan
Dec 29, 2006, 10:49 AM
Bar: Slim's (http://www.slims-sf.com/). It's near the Oakland Bay Bridge, and there's a concert almost everynight, but It'd be worth it, especially if you love rock.

Restaurant: Zachary's Pizza. (http://www.zacharys.com/) It's amazing! It's been voted the best pizza in the bay area for several years. It does require a trek over to Oakland, but it'd be worth a cab ride. (By the way, there's nothing else in Oakland. Zachary's is considered to be in Berkeley, but is technically Oakland. Just stay away from the rest of Oakland.) Be warned that it's $4 and a large portion of your time to cross the Oakland Bay Bridge because they're "building" a new one, but if you want a nice restaurant, this is it.

A boatride to Sausalito or Alcatraz is always fun (more of the former than the latter, in my opinion.)

Here's something fun: Walk the Golden gate from the city to Maurin (the county on the north side) and back and stop by one of the beaches nearby while you're at it.

Visit the giant Apple Store that I prefer to call the Mac Mecca. (http://www.apple.com/retail/sanfrancisco/week/20061224.html)

You can ride on a cable car, which is a lot of fun, but it requires a LOT of waiting.

Ghirardelli Square (http://www.ghirardelli.com/shops/ghirardellisq.aspx) has nothing there to do, but is something to see.

Pretty Sights:Mount Diablo (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=517) is an amazing site (you can see Yellowstone from the top of it on a good day)! It's in the East Bay, and it might be hard for you go get there, but I really really encourage you to go there if you can. The Muir Woods (http://www.nps.gov/muwo/) and Stinson Beach (http://www.stinsonbeachonline.com/) are also very highly recommended, especially if you love to see pretty sights.

And, of course, you can always find things by just walking around.

Out of all of these, besides the touristy things, I'd highly recommend you see the Muir Woods of Mount Diablo. They're amazing! My sisters live in the East Bay, so I know more about that area, but I know San Francisco pretty well and those are my recommendations and un-recommendations.

Have fun in San Fran! Tell me how it goes!

thanks a lot for the info. I'm definitely going to try most of it!

doogle
Dec 30, 2006, 05:25 PM
any aussies worked out what time inthe morning I have to get up to watch the coverage.
BTW MR- last years guy who wrote the commentary got it right. Few opinions of his own just direct description of what was said and seen.

Peace
Dec 30, 2006, 05:29 PM
As in times past it's best to use ye olde clock widgets!!

Open up 2 of them.
Set one to Cupertino
Set the other to your geographic location

When the Cupertino clock says 9AM look at your local clock.
That's the time you should use.

Chundles
Dec 30, 2006, 05:31 PM
any aussies worked out what time inthe morning I have to get up to watch the coverage.
BTW MR- last years guy who wrote the commentary got it right. Few opinions of his own just direct description of what was said and seen.

4am.

We're currently 5 hours behind but one day ahead. On the east coast anyway.

doogle
Dec 30, 2006, 05:46 PM
As in times past it's best to use ye olde clock widgets!!

Open up 2 of them.
Set one to Cupertino
Set the other to your geographic location

When the Cupertino clock says 9AM look at your local clock.
That's the time you should use.

....Too hard...

"4am.

We're currently 5 hours behind but one day ahead. On the east coast anyway."

EASY! Thanks!