Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
This is probably old for most people...but im new to it so here it goes...

Im really interested in hacking into osx. I found out about http://www.missingmanuals.com that deals with doing this sort of stuff. I went there to look for Tinker Tool. I got it. So now Im suppose to be able to make my doc background transparent right? Well I cant find that option anywhere with tiner tool. Where is it at? If it does have that option. I really want to do this without unix code..root user. If there is no other way other than enabling root ...then how does one do it succesfully ..step by step...with root?

Also... One is suppose to be able to change up the apperance of the dock backround to whatever picture you like ...by booting up in os9...bringing up photoshop...>file->open system->library->coreservices->dock.app->contents->resources.... then go to the folder of mac osx and open ....then you bring up...middle.pdf in photoshop and manipulating it there.

however when i try that i cant even get into dock.app....since it is not an 0s9 file or whatever....how the hell am i suppose to do this? i cant do it in osx because it does not allow you to do it for some reason...or is there another way?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
im sorry.... how can you make that dock background...simply disappear? i saw the dock this way on the screensavers show on tech tv.

but man im really trying to figure out this dock thing about changing the whole dock background to another image.

this is cool.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
hey! this is pretty cool!!

i took a screenshot...

irmongoose

Attachments

• mongoosetransdock.jpg
    mongoosetransdock.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 425

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
wow! you have a lot of icons in your dock...cool!

fully transparent aye!

so you have the new microsoft office huh.... do you like it?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
anybody know anything about using pdf images for the background in the dock?

im trying to do this....but im having trouble.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
now that is pretty cool....

it'll definitely add to the "wow" factor even more!!

anyone have any problems with it since installing?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay when im doing that pdf changing the background of the dock picture i cant get into ...dock.app!!! It wont allow me it open it in os9. How do I open it. It says that my currnet os version does not allow me to view it or whatever. Must one open this in 9.0 only because im doing this in 9.2?

what gives?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
krossfyter, how do you feel about the Terminal?

I've found it's the best way for me to get in and change a lot of things.

Even if you think it's too much Unix for you, at least you can change the opacity with TinkerTool. :D

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
yeah i got tinker tool. the terminal..im not even going to touch unless i get step by step code on how to do soemthing i want.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
nah ...i got the transparency thing down. i just need to figure out this pdf picture in the dock thing. dock.app cant be opened in 0s9 for some reason on my puter.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by sphereboy
As of now, MAY 2002....how is this programming running? You guys still using it? This 'Trasnparent Dock' program...
Yep. Still going strong. I think it's now at version 1.5.8 (was 1.5.7 when we were talking about it when this thread was started). I don't think there are really any changes, just a couple of minor bug fixes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.