Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
With the recent fiasco of MacBook discoloration, I thought I'd bring this up.

I've basically put this to the side but it has been here for a while. On the outside of the casing, mainly on the round parts, there are some black discoloring marks and some white marks that are whiter than the actual iBook case. Is there anything I can use clean this off? Mr. Clean Eraser?

Attachments

• DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 65

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Your pictures are clear and in focus (a rare thing), but I don't see what you're talking about.

I do believe you though, and would suggest that the discoloration can probably be cleaned up. As for the extra white problems I imagine that can't be cleaned.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Your pictures are clear and in focus (a rare thing), but I don't see what you're talking about.

I do believe you though, and would suggest that the discoloration can probably be cleaned up. As for the extra white problems I imagine that can't be cleaned.
Yeah. The flash is very overwhelming on my camera. The flash off wouldn't help either.

So would the Magic Eraser work? If so, looks like a trip to the local store.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
try some regular strong household cleaner. and your pictures dont offer any insight into what the problem seems to be.

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
This exact thing has happened to my macbook... Black marks around the edges.. I've tried cleaning but no good...

Can this be enough to call applecare and get the casing changed??

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
ok.. rub some toothpaste on the marks on the outer casing.. keep rubbing it till paste goes hard.. then clear the paste with damp cloth and the marks will be gone...

I did this last night and i seriously couldnt believe that it worked.. my MB looks new again.. It made me feel real good Hehe....

The toothpaste i used was colgate advanced whitening by the way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.