PDA

View Full Version : What are rare mac things?

applemacdude
May 7, 2003, 06:18 PM
What are rare mac things? Anything, maybe some of us have some of theses items

pyrotoaster
May 7, 2003, 06:49 PM
Do you mean computers or logo-branded stuff?

As computers go, the TAM (20th Ann. Mac) is among the most collectable Macs. Also, intact eMates and high quality MP2100s.

Older Macs aren't always easy to find in working order (depending on model), but they're generally incredibly cheap over eBay. So, as impressive as it is that my Mac Classic II still works like it did when it was first made (nearly 11 years ago), I wouldn't make a fortune selling it.

"Stuff" is a different story. http://www.redlightrunner.com has all sorts of good stuff, including a section just for the harder-to-find items.

5300cs
May 8, 2003, 08:41 PM
There are many rare Apple things..

In terms of machines, an Apple I or a Lisa I with the original Twiggy drive(s?) is about as rare as your going to get. Those are the two rarest machines that I'm aware of. They were made in limited numbers and are highly sought out by collectors (like me;) )

In terms of items with Apple logos, there are many, many rare items. For example, I have an Apple business card holder which I think is rare. I have the fountain pen that I posted info on in another post- that's very rare from what I can tell. A lot of the things on redlightrunner.com under 'rareties' are very rare and hard to find.

Generally, machines that had a limited run will be rare, and merchandise that also had a limited run, or were internal gifts, or that were special offers, will be rare.

Pinto
May 12, 2003, 11:06 PM
Although I know that the 15 iMac G4 is neither rare nor old, mine has a screen printing error from the factory.

The icons over the rear ports have all been moved around to the right by about 2". Hence the FireWire icon sits over the ethernet port etc.

Do you think this increases the resale value of the unit at all? (looking forward to 970 based iMac).

melchior
May 12, 2003, 11:36 PM
TAM's are pretty easy to come by, though they are a touch pricy. i would put them in the same boat as g4 cubes.

the run was big enough that the people who want one can find one. it is the much older mac's like the lisa that are truly rare.

LimeLite
May 13, 2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Pinto
Although I know that the 15 iMac G4 is neither rare nor old, mine has a screen printing error from the factory.

The icons over the rear ports have all been moved around to the right by about 2". Hence the FireWire icon sits over the ethernet port etc.

Do you think this increases the resale value of the unit at all?
This isn't like some baseball card or beanie baby that there were only 10 made with the defect that makes them more valuable. If anything at all, I'd say it *lowers* the resale value.

applemacdude
May 13, 2003, 08:43 PM
well apple branded

melchior
May 13, 2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by LimeLite
This isn't like some baseball card or beanie baby that there were only 10 made with the defect that makes them more valuable. If anything at all, I'd say it *lowers* the resale value.

who here would buy, collect & trade apple cards? what about D&D style game? yeah, sounds good to me =)

gotohamish
May 28, 2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by melchior
who here would buy, collect & trade apple cards? what about D&D style game? yeah, sounds good to me =)

Do you mean like Apple Trading Cards or Combat/Top Trump style cards.

Steve Jobs:
Style 10
Temper 10
Patience 10
Wealth 10
Credability 10

The UNBEATABLE card!

applemacdude
May 28, 2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by gotohamish

Steve Jobs:
Style 10
Temper 10
Patience 10
Wealth 10
Credability 10

The UNBEATABLE card!

lol:)

Golem
Jun 5, 2003, 09:01 AM
So would a copy of Alice copyright 1984 Apple be rare?

Its a mac game played on a chessboard.

heh I am sure the LCD screen for a IIc ala 2010 I had on loan would be rare but that went back to apple decades ago.

Daveman Deluxe
Jun 21, 2003, 12:11 AM
When I was in second grade, my aunt sent me a t-shirt for Christmas that had a picture of Apple's second mouse (it was boxy, but it didn't have a protruding button--it wasn't the one from the Mac Plus, etc.) and it said "Move over, Mickey." I didn't have a computer at that time, but I knew what a mouse was. I just thought it was funny...

Now I wish I still had it.

I also had (maybe still do) a 14" monitor that had the defect where the red color gun failed when the temperature got too high. Along with the Mac II (the first color Mac). I fondly remember its final burial:

Me (unloading a trailer full of garbage at the landfill): "Hey dad! How far do you think I can chuck this thing!"

Memories...

toes
Jun 26, 2003, 07:15 PM
anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Moxiemike
Jun 26, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by toes
anyone? anyone? Bueller?

totally. i know a few mactv owners. the mice fetch a MINT on ebay still...

NNO-Stephen
Jun 29, 2003, 01:17 PM
that Think Different "To the crazy ones" poster... 300 bucks at the missing bite. whew.

Doctor Q
Jul 7, 2003, 03:39 PM
An acquaintance of mine just gave me a tour of his Mac collection. He's got 76 Macs, including one of almost every model of Mac, Power Mac, and PowerBook made until recently. He's got a Lisa and a "special edition" IIGS with Woz's signature on it. I assume that those are pretty rare.

He told me he's only looking for two models: the Color Classic and the TAM. Are they both pretty rare?

MacFan25
Jul 7, 2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
An acquaintance of mine just gave me a tour of his Mac collection. He's got 76 Macs, including one of almost every model of Mac, Power Mac, and PowerBook made until recently. He's got a Lisa and a "special edition" IIGS with Woz's signature on it. I assume that those are pretty rare.
Damn...how does he have the room for 76 computers?

Doctor Q
Jul 7, 2003, 05:51 PM
Only a few of these 76 Macs are up and running on his work desk at any given time. He has the rest on shelves in his garage-sized workshop. The PowerBooks are organized into boxes when not in use so you can pull out the model you want.

(At my own house, meanwhile, I don't purposely collect Macs at all, but they seem to collect by themselves. It's simply that my old Macs are like friends and are hard to part with when I get a new model.)

Vector
Jul 7, 2003, 06:38 PM
the rarest things that i can think of are the apple tv set top box, power cd, the walt, their online service program, and pippen.

here is a site on the walt http://www.cromaa.com/walt/

there are also clear newtons every once and a while on ebay; some of them are real and made that way by apple and some are molded cases made by people so they would look rare.

I guess an original apple with a wooden case would also be worth a good bit but i have never seen one for sale, and the only ones i know of are in museums.

Doctor Q
Jul 7, 2003, 06:57 PM
I never heard of WALT. Great name - Wizzy Active Lifestyle Telephone!

I have two working eMate 300s. I wonder how soon I can sell them and retire on the profits.

Vector
Jul 7, 2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I never heard of WALT. Great name - Wizzy Active Lifestyle Telephone!

I have two working eMate 300s. I wonder how soon I can sell them and retire on the profits.

I have 1 emate 300 in perfect condition (battery and case), but what i really want is one of the multicolored emates. Apple made a few multicolored ones including pink, purple and orange in addition to the mass produced blue-green.

here is a picture of a few at the product release event

now who can identify these two people?

Judo
Jul 7, 2003, 10:15 PM
Hmmm.

Some guy in a suit and Micheal Bolton??

There's a green one of those at my work.

I don't think it goes though.

AngryAngel
Jul 13, 2003, 05:28 PM
If I were to take a guess, the person on the right could be Gil Amelio, CEO.

Farside161
Jul 13, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by toes
anyone? anyone? Bueller?
I remember that thing we gave it to goodwill a few years back but i still have the little remote. the mac TV was my first mac.

wustahman89
Jul 14, 2003, 12:45 AM
i have the think different educator set
and i have a old performa 6290 and my uncle has the old mac where its a small black and white (about 4 or more inches) screen built into the cpu

etoiles
Jul 14, 2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by AngryAngel

that would be your 'other' right...right ?
:p

gotohamish
Jul 14, 2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by etoiles
that would be your 'other' right...right ?
:p

lol :D

Vector
Jul 14, 2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by AngryAngel

Right, now who can identify the other guy.

I think he still works for apple; i seem to remember seeing him on some stream in the last couple of years.

Gus
Jul 29, 2003, 07:18 PM
The other guy (on the left, or your other right, as it were) is Phil Schiller, I believe.

I have several older Macs--][e, classics, MacPlus, LC, and a couple of Newtons--OMP, 2000. I also have 3 sets of Apple-branded crayons from like 1984 or 86. The boxes only have six colors-the Apple Logo colors. :)

Regards,
Gus

edit; yes the ][e is not a Mac, but you now what I mean. ;)

Boy, am I a moron. Phil Schiller. Yeah, he wished he had that much hair.

StrongBad
Jul 29, 2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Vector
now who can identify these two people?

The year was 1997 and the first person is Gil. The second is Frank Cassanova, now Director of QuickTime.

crap crap crap
StrongBad

Cuckoo
Jul 30, 2003, 08:59 AM
Back in 1986 or 1987 my father brought back with him a rubics cube, but it was white, and had apples in the squares instead of the the usual rubics colors.

And the colors were the retro apple colors of those days. Every centre piece was the Text "Apple" he got it in a meeting with some apple men, he gave it to me, i played with it for a while till i figured it out, and a few years back i threw it away.

Never ever seen an other one like that one, i could so hit myself for doing that, an original white apple rubics cube....

BrandonRP0123
Jul 31, 2003, 01:23 AM
everymac.com is a good resource for things like this.

The 20th anniversary Mac went for $7500 brand new. Probably the most expensive Mac ever?

How about the Mac WGS?

Or the Network Server (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/network_server/index.html) ?

How about the LCQuadra? Remember; the first Quadra that looked like an LC3?

Vector
Jul 31, 2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by StrongBad
The year was 1997 and the first person is Gil. The second is Frank Cassanova, now Director of QuickTime.

crap crap crap
StrongBad

Very good.

For being the first to name him you shall recieve a surprise . . .
. . . ok well apparently i lost it, sorry

. . . ok so i never really had a surprise.

Gus
Aug 1, 2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by BrandonRP0123
everymac.com is a good resource for things like this.

The 20th anniversary Mac went for $7500 brand new. Probably the most expensive Mac ever?

Actually, I believe there was an even higher priced version of the TAM that went for $10,000.00. With your extra money, it was hand-delivered by an Apple employee in a limosine. Now THAT'S a computer sale! ;)

Regards,
Gus

themadchemist
Aug 11, 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by gotohamish

Steve Jobs:
Style 10
Temper 10
Patience 10
Wealth 10
Credability 10

The UNBEATABLE card!

From what I've heard, you better lower the Temper and Patience numbers.

and how about

MotoBeast:
Style 9 (come on, it's RISC!)
Temper 8
Patience 10 (very patiently waits to update its products)
Wealth 10
Credibility -infinity:D