PDA

View Full Version : Help: What are these called, and where can i find them?

Sweetfeld28
Dec 29, 2006, 01:23 PM
Ok, basically i am trying to recreate one of my old designs, and wanted to have some of those scripty looking things in the design. I am however, not able to find them anywhere do to the fact i do not know what they are called.

Does anyone know where i can download some, or if they are part of a Font? Here is a picture of what i am talking about:

Blue Velvet
Dec 29, 2006, 01:29 PM
They're usually known as (printer's) ornaments and yes, there are a quite a few collections out there. Have a rummage through Google.

Sweetfeld28
Dec 29, 2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks, BlueVelvet. I feel retarded that i couldn't remember what they were called, but thanks for your help.

ryan

Snark
Dec 30, 2006, 01:00 PM
They're usually known as (printer's) ornaments and yes, there are a quite a few collections out there. Have a rummage through Google.
Also known to be referred to by some as "dingbats". (http://desktoppub.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-dingbat.htm)

More than likely, you've already got one set; Zapf Dingbats. Possibly more if you've ever landed free fonts with some Adobe application or other; Woodtype Ornaments 1 and 2.

Snark

Andrew7724
Dec 30, 2006, 02:18 PM
oh my goodness. I was totally gonna ask the same question here yesterday! hahaha

Blue Velvet
Dec 30, 2006, 02:34 PM
Technically, dingbats are different, but I'm not going to argue the point. :)

Snark
Dec 30, 2006, 06:29 PM
Technically, dingbats are different, but I'm not going to argue the point. :)
Heh heh... That's why I used the discrete "referred to by some". I didn't want to let my type geek off his leash. :D

ChicoWeb
Dec 31, 2006, 02:52 PM
If you already created them, why not create them again?

Sweetfeld28
Dec 31, 2006, 03:09 PM
If you already created them, why not create them again?

I did not create them. The ones in the OP pic is from a layout design i found on the web. The picture who just to give you an idea what i was trying to describe or was looking for.