PDA

View Full Version : URGENT How to make iTunes account without Credit Card

MattyMac
Dec 29, 2006, 07:05 PM
My gf's cousin is making an iTunes account and she is too young for a credit card. When making her account, it is asking for a CC. How do I get around this so she can use gift cards and such. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks!

WildCowboy
Dec 29, 2006, 07:09 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304676

MattyMac
Dec 29, 2006, 07:22 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304676

we dont have a gift card now, but want to make an accout so we can get album artwork automatically (you need an account)

Kane.Elson
Dec 29, 2006, 07:23 PM
Bahaha, off topic but from that page:

Rather than reward your kids and loved ones with a monetary allowance, you can give them an iTunes Allowance instead—at least you'll know where all that money's going. Like a traditional allowance, an iTunes Allowance is awarded to your recipient every month—from $10 to $200—but in the form of an iTunes Store credit. You will need a credit card, which gets charged each month, to set up an allowance. For more information, see the Allowance FAQ page.

That first sentence sounds like you aren't rewarding them anymore, I know what they mean but they possibly could have reworded it....

I would feel just as ripped off with that as a gift card. If you can't trust your kid with cash to buy whatever they want then do they really deserve the "allowence"/gift card ???

WildCowboy
Dec 29, 2006, 07:37 PM
we dont have a gift card now, but want to make an accout so we can get album artwork automatically (you need an account)

Hmmm...I don't think it's possible to do that.

Kane.Elson
Dec 29, 2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah, actually in response to the topic.
From what I just read you can only sign up with a gift card/certificate or a credit card. So I would probably suggest you go to a 7-11 and buy a small gift card or something so you can sign up.

lu0s3r322
Dec 29, 2006, 07:42 PM
apple probably wants people who want artwork to be actual people who buy from itunes instead of downloading from places like limewire or allofmp3 so thats why they dont allow it.

MattyMac
Dec 29, 2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all your responses and attempts to help. I figured that she would need a gift card, but was just wondering if anyone knew a way around it.

Anyhow, I'm happy because she is the second person I have switched to a mac:D My mom being the first!

martintxo
Jan 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
i rarely write responses, but I came across this same problem, and am really pissed off. There is absolutely no reasone that apple should need my credit card information. i just got a new macbook, and i love it. and i wanted to dl some album art. i used to do it easily enough in my windows. and then i found out i need to do sign up with itunes, which requires CC info. thats ******** if you ask me, and i do not really think you can defend it.

MattyMac
Jan 1, 2007, 01:17 PM
i rarely write responses, but I came across this same problem, and am really pissed off. There is absolutely no reasone that apple should need my credit card information. i just got a new macbook, and i love it. and i wanted to dl some album art. i used to do it easily enough in my windows. and then i found out i need to do sign up with itunes, which requires CC info. thats ******** if you ask me, and i do not really think you can defend it.

It does seem quite ridiculous. Go out and buy an iTunes gift card and register that way. That is what I told my cousin to do.

Applespider
Jan 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
Just gift her a single song and when she redeems it, she'll be able to register.

GreeneGirl7
Jan 1, 2007, 01:23 PM

I think it seems reasonable. Actually, it seems really cool to me that just by having an account you can get the artwork for free for albums you haven't even purchased from iTMS.

There are some free alternatives. Check out www.versiontracker.com. I can't make any personal recommendations though.

Also, if you don't have that many songs missing artwork, it's easy to add it yourself. Use google image to search for the artwork, select the album in iTunes, and then drag the image to the artwork window. You don't even have to save the image to your hard drive first. Sorry if you already knew all that though.

martintxo
Jan 1, 2007, 01:23 PM
i have a credit card. and i have no problem with buying things on line. i DO have a problem with a company forcing me to provide my credit card information when i have no intention to buy any music. i do not have an ipod, i do not plan on buying music from the itunes store. i would just like to have nice little album covers. and by the way, thanks for your guys quick responses! amazingly fast. i apologize if i am rude, its just that it really bothers me.

martintxo
Jan 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
hey i just read greenegirls response. this is my first experience with itunes, so i did not know any of that. THAnks a lot!!! its a huge help. i think i will jut do what you said and download one by one. and dont beat me down for saying this, but with windows media player it allowed me to download all the artwork and stuff without providing any information.
cheers and thanks again!

GreeneGirl7
Jan 1, 2007, 01:29 PM
hey i just read greenegirls response. this is my first experience with itunes, so i did not know any of that. THAnks a lot!!! its a huge help. i think i will jut do what you said and download one by one. and dont beat me down for saying this, but with windows media player it allowed me to download all the artwork and stuff without providing any information.
cheers and thanks again!

No problem. I find iTunes, especially when using it on a Mac, really great as I learn more about it. A newbie mistake I made in the beginning was fiddling around with the music folders inside the iTunes folder instead of only in the iTunes app itself. Once you get used to the differences though I bet you'll really like it.

Applespider
Jan 1, 2007, 01:31 PM
There's also an Album Art widget which sits on your Dashboard and displays art from your iTunes song that is playing. If you don't have it, it goes off and searches for it. And, if it finds it, you can add it to your iTunes library with a single click on the mouse. V handy.

martintxo
Jan 1, 2007, 01:38 PM
yep i was just about to post this here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/amazonalbumart.html
its a great widget. i tried it out, and it can add artwork of the album you are playing instantly. excellent widget. a keeper. anyway, thanks to everyone for all your help! cheers!

TEG
Jan 1, 2007, 02:37 PM
You can create an iTS account if you have a PayPal account.

TEG

skwij
Jan 1, 2007, 08:47 PM
yep i was just about to post this here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/amazonalbumart.html
its a great widget. i tried it out, and it can add artwork of the album you are playing instantly. excellent widget. a keeper. anyway, thanks to everyone for all your help! cheers!

Ooooh nice widget! Thanks!

aristobrat
Jan 1, 2007, 09:12 PM
i DO have a problem with a company forcing me to provide my credit card information when i have no intention to buy any music.
I always wondered why Apple does that.

The best I could come up with is by requiring a credit card account, they can vouch for the "realness" of their users, which is probably important when it comes to the rates they charge the companies that advertise in the iTunes Stores.

solvs
Jan 2, 2007, 03:06 AM
You can use an AOL account too.

tominated
Jan 2, 2007, 03:32 AM
get corripio. it's a pretty good app for finding album art. plus, it's free

psychofreak
Jan 2, 2007, 04:28 AM
I always wondered why Apple does that.

The best I could come up with is by requiring a credit card account, they can vouch for the "realness" of their users, which is probably important when it comes to the rates they charge the companies that advertise in the iTunes Stores.

Advertisements? Screenshot please?

aristobrat
Jan 2, 2007, 07:33 AM
Advertisements? Screenshot please?
Attached.

jholzner
Jan 2, 2007, 10:49 AM
Attached.

I'm pretty sure I read that Apple doesn't take money for advert placement. They promote what they want and that's that. I know it's erked some big labels but that's how Apple wanted to do it.

http://www.futureofmusic.org/itunes2.cfm

From the Article:

No Paid Placement
One of the most talked about pieces of Apple's presentation was their stance on "paid placement". Apple insisted that "it's all about the music" and that they're not interested in accepting advertising, banners, or any types of payment for placement on the website. But if you look at the home page you'll see that there are both banners and these areas called "swooshes" that highlight 16 albums per swoosh (new releases, up and coming, just added, etc). Apple said that any highlighting of albums or artists -- whether for banners or swooshes -- is purely at the discretion of Apple's music editorial staff.

Once again, Apple has a unique position in this. As a technology company with lots of assets they don't NEED to accept advertising money to make this work, and they've never done anything like this in the past (like selling space for icons on their computer desktops). We hope that Apple will remain committed to this pledge. Not only is it refreshing to see a list of songs that doesn't belie the "superstarness" of any one track over another, or a list cluttered with smiley faces or stars or other attention-getting icons, but it also stops the iTunes virtual space from being sold to the highest bidder.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 2, 2007, 10:54 AM
Try this for album art:

http://speedyb.osnn.net/itunes.php

You need to fill in both boxes or it will not show any results.

aristobrat
Jan 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I read that Apple doesn't take money for advert placement.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

That blows my theory, unless Apple wants to use the number of real "credit card verified" users for negotiation with studios...

simal
Dec 18, 2008, 06:26 AM
i've tried lots of ways of creating an itunes account without a credit card. i have no intention of buying music etc. I just want to be able to download some free apps from the apps store for my ipod touch.

Jeeves
Dec 18, 2008, 02:41 PM
I have made an itunes account without a credit card, as i needed it for the same reasons. So all you have to do is, go to the itunes store and try and download a free app. then it will ask to sign in or make an account. make an account but when it asks for you credit card details, there is a box saying "none" and then fill out the rest of the form, and voila there is you account. Hope this helps. :)

simal
Dec 27, 2008, 08:09 AM
has anyone made an account recently without a credit card? i cant get the option 'none' anywhere - even in app store when i create an account. is there a way i can get apps without an account?

NightGeometry
Dec 27, 2008, 08:59 AM
I just used the above method (literally about 2 minutes ago), and it worked fine for me.

The none option is at the end of the list of possible cards.

simal
Dec 27, 2008, 09:09 AM
Finally i have created a sort of free itunes account. here's what i did:

1. i went on https://myinfo.apple.com/ and signed up for an account.
2. filled in the name, address etc, no bill paying is necessary.
3. i got an itunes £10 gift card
4. in the app store (dunno if normal store makes a difference) i went on redeem and typed in the code.
5. this prompted me to sign in - i did with the info i provided earlier.
6. it tells me i haven't used it yet with itunes and i need to review details.
7. review them and by the payment options there is a small check box for None. i couldnt believe it when i saw it! it might be already checked - it is quite small.
8. select 'done'

and at last ... i have done it. i can get free apps and use £10. no idea what happens after the £10 has gone or if i dont use it will it disappear? but who cares for now?! after months and months of trying i have a solution :D

northy124
Dec 27, 2008, 12:08 PM
Sign up through the app store and you don't need a gift card nor a credit card I have a US, UK, FR, DE and AUS account now by doing it that way.

network23
Dec 27, 2008, 04:05 PM
I tried that today...registering via the app store. They sent me the verification email, but when I clicked on the link, I got an error (11111). "An unknown error occurred." Terrific. Thanks Apple.

cdcastillo
Dec 28, 2008, 08:01 AM
...i DO have a problem with a company forcing me to provide my credit card information when i have no intention to buy any music... i would just like to have nice little album covers...

Then don't give them your credit card info, just use the widget.

we dont have a gift card now, but want to make an accout so we can get album artwork automatically ...

...i wanted to dl some album art...

...windows media player it allowed me to download all the artwork and stuff without providing any information...

There is a SEMI-automatic way of doing this. Go download this (http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3rdpty2.pl/product=09091&cat=34&platform=osx&method=sa/AmazonAlbumArt-2.12.zip) (direct download link). Install the widget and select "Operate on currently playing album".

From now on, whenever you are listening to an artless album, just fire up dashboard, click on the little itunes icon in the amazon art widget (to bring up the album info for searching) and click on "Set as album art in iTunes".

That's it, as I said, semi-automatic. And it's free, as in you don't have to give away your CC info.

There's also an Album Art widget ...

its a great widget...

Hey, you beat me to it. Sorry to post late, I opened the page yesterday and did not refreshed it before posting...

nigameash
Dec 28, 2008, 11:16 AM
you can create an itunes acct without a credit card. click on the link in the itunes store that says redeem gift card/certificate. use google for finding a gift card code. itunes will say invalid code but you can still create an acct without entering cc details ;) pm me if you cant find the code. i do have a few redeemed cards lying around :p

NJKA
Dec 30, 2008, 06:05 PM
If you don't mind using your credit card temporarily then there is a way. Create an account using your credit card. Then once it's create, sign in and edit your account details. you will then be presented with an option box "none" for your payment method. It's ridiculous I know, but it works. :mad:

bendoct18
Feb 11, 2009, 05:45 AM
This is the way i created ITUNES ACCOUNT :
1. Launch iTunes application on your computer
2. Select “iTunes Store” from the left side panel options; displays iTunes Store home page.
3. Select United States as your location from the country selection drop down menu available at the bottom of the page
4. After choosing the country, click on "Top Free Apps" section
5. When the application’s page is loaded - click on "Get App" button; login window will appear.
6. Click on the "create account" button
7. Fill out US address details and click on continue. If you don’t know any valid US address you can use Apple US retail store address by pointing your browser to http://www.apple.com/retail/ and choosing a store from the list available in the page
8. After submitting valid US postal address details, iTune Store registration takes you to payment mode page. Here choose the option "None" and finish the registration.
9. You will now see the congratulation page.You’re done! Your iTunes Store account is created without credit card and from now onwards you can download all the free applications available to US users from any country.

It's free and easy to use : - )
Enjoy :D

Darth.Titan
Feb 11, 2009, 06:09 AM

Nice job using your first post to answer a two-year old thread that has already been answered.

bendoct18
Feb 12, 2009, 08:35 PM
Nice job using your first post to answer a two-year old thread that has already been answered.

Thanks for ur quickly reply . U know what ? Im a new member mac user , so i found out how to create Itunes account. And u know why i enjoyed this forum :) It's funny :rolleyes:

northy124
Feb 13, 2009, 05:39 AM
Nice job on being late to say that:mad:

DaftUnion
Feb 13, 2009, 06:00 AM
This is the best hands down for album art quality.

www.albumartexchange.com

Most of the stuff is higher quality than iTunes artwork.

iOrlando
Feb 13, 2009, 06:40 AM
you need a credit card...simple as that.

p.s. just noticed this thread is from 2006.....stop bumping......its annoying....and fools people (like me)

pickle233
Apr 25, 2011, 07:25 PM
you have to go to the app store
click on the thing to buy the FREE app
create the account like you would with a credit card
then when you have to enter the credit card info., click none
you still have to fill out the billing address but that doesn't mean anything
then you have an account but you just can't BUY anything w/out a giftcard...

hope this helps!!
:)

jlc1978
Apr 26, 2011, 05:00 AM
i have a credit card. and i have no problem with buying things on line. i DO have a problem with a company forcing me to provide my credit card information when i have no intention to buy any music. i do not have an ipod, i do not plan on buying music from the itunes store. i would just like to have nice little album covers. and by the way, thanks for your guys quick responses! amazingly fast. i apologize if i am rude, its just that it really bothers me.

Well, first of all you're not in Apple's demographic if you don't want to buy anything, so why should they make it available for free? having a CC/GC at signup helps avoid having lots of people sign up, hit their servers, spamming recommendations / ratings, etc., making the user experience better for everyone.

If you don't like their policy then don't use iTunes. It's really quite simple. There are free alternatives available so it's not like you are losing anything but a little ease of use. You want ease, fork over a credit card or buy a Gift card.