PDA

View Full Version : Apple.com: 'The First 30 years were just the beginning... Welcome to 2007'

Pages : [1] 2

MacQuest
Jan 1, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm SOOO excited!

http://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/welcome2007_20070101.jpg

I've been telling everyone all year that I felt that Apple is REALLY gonna do BIG things in 2007. Probably break into new markets and do to them what the iPod and iTunes did to the digital music player and online music markets.

Good times ahead indeed!

:D

balamw
Jan 1, 2007, 07:23 PM
Good times ahead indeed!

Hadn't seen it yet. Yikes that's ballsy! :D

My credit card is ready and willing. Bring on MWSF.

B

MacRumors
Jan 1, 2007, 07:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has updated their website with a New Year's greeting and a teaser:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/firstthirty.jpg

The first 30 years were just the beginning.
Welcome to 2007.

thegoldenmackid
Jan 1, 2007, 07:24 PM
they put up: http://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/welcome2007_20070101.jpg

we all know the new OS is coming?...2006 was/is probably a bigger year: intel transition?

miloblithe
Jan 1, 2007, 07:25 PM
Well, I feel teased. :)

chuckles:)
Whats that all about?

Zwhaler
Cool! Wonder what they'll pull outta their sleeve this year.

miggyb
here's to many more! :D

moesker007
Yay So Excited!

monke
My credit card is ready and willing. Bring on MWSF.

Got any backups handy? You/I may need them. :p :D

StealthRider
Jan 1, 2007, 07:26 PM
This should be exciting :D

Dont Hurt Me
Lets hope they discovered the Video card, the PCi slot and the Tv tuner.:)

hyperpasta
Uhhhhhh... wow :eek:

This usually doesn't happen. I think this is basically proof that something BIIIIIIIIIIIG is coming at MWSF.

Wowowowow

Maxwell Smart
Ugh, the Macworld anticipation is killing me...

bperboy
Jan 1, 2007, 07:27 PM
Me want LEOPARD! Me want LEOPARD!

miloblithe
Jan 1, 2007, 07:28 PM
Remember, so far it's just marketing.

balamw
Jan 1, 2007, 07:28 PM
Got plenty of available credit thanks! If not there's always the equity on the house. :p

B

jonharris200
Jan 1, 2007, 07:29 PM
That teaser is a bit Showtimey.

jonharris200
Jan 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
UK site not yet updated. Anyone done an exhaustive check on the others?

Lixivial
Jan 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
Man... I'm extremely curious how this MWSF will shape up. I have this feeling that it will be a memorable one. Maybe he'll have an encore keynote, just to pack it all in. :D

I love it when Apple does this sort of stuff. :)

EDIT: I love it when I don't notice parallel threads (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=265306). :p

hokullani
Jan 1, 2007, 07:31 PM
does anyone else notice that the apple logo in it is shiny black, just like in time machine and the same that itunes is starting to become, anyone wonder if that is going to be the new look?

dashiel
Jan 1, 2007, 07:34 PM
that image is decidedly un-apple. the balance is all off and the light rays aren't coming from a consistent source. the distortion in the upper left of the apple coupled with the bit mark being cropped make it look more like a rotten apple.

still could be big. i recall two other times apple teased like this*... the first was the cart/screwdriver/cookie teaser that happened shortly after jobs returned to apple. the second was a few years back and the "even the rumors sites will be surprised" (or similar).

if memory serves both time people were underwhelmed. i don't think the hype around this MWSF could be any higher so i suspect we'll be disappointed again.

still the tease does seem to indicate a major shift for apple. they're basically already in the business, but maybe we see a massive shift in to the CE market.

* i think many of the current teases like "it's showtime" are already so widely known they hardly qualify as a tease.

LimeiBook86
Ok I wasn't too excited about MWSF '07 before but...now I am!! :eek:

I can't wait!! :D

kalisphoenix
does anyone else notice that the apple logo in it is shiny black

Actually, I didn't notice that :p

;)

But black is sexxxy. I wouldn't mind it.

Scarlet Fever
Jan 1, 2007, 07:35 PM

C2D MacBooks are still headline news on the Aussie page, apparently.

pknz
Jan 1, 2007, 07:35 PM
Ooo purdy. I am all ears Apple.

jonharris200
Jan 1, 2007, 07:36 PM
Glad now that my iSight and PowerBook are on eBay (http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZjonharris200) since yesterday and the auctions are going so well...

Who knows what options I may have 7 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes from now?! :D

kalisphoenix
I really don't think this is referring to a specific product. Just a "happy new year" greeting. That's all.

darwen
I am officially stoaked!

macridah
Jan 1, 2007, 07:38 PM
Apple is setting some high expecatations by posting a message like that. Also, does the Hot News Headline bar have a new look to it or I just never noticed it before?

MacNut
Jan 1, 2007, 07:38 PM
Not this again, the last time we had these teasers everyone was upset that we got iLamp.:rolleyes:

sisyphus
Jan 1, 2007, 07:39 PM
B@st@rds! How am I going to get any sleep now?!?! ;)

UberMac
Jan 1, 2007, 07:39 PM
Apple is setting some high expecatations by posting a message like that. Also, does the Hot News Headline bar have a new look to it or I just never noticed it before?

I think you've just never noticed it before - looks pretty regular to me! :)

Uber

darwen
Jan 1, 2007, 07:41 PM
Not this again, the last time we had these teasers everyone was upset that we got iLamp.:rolleyes:

I thought it was the pizza box design they still use... wasnt it?

hob
Jan 1, 2007, 07:42 PM
Well, as Apple have said, so should I! Happy new year everyone!

Like the idea, but the graphic does look a little... poorly done? Especially that distortion in the corner... (for want of a better word!)

cr2sh
So I have to wait another 30 years for an iPhone?

This advert is nice.. but I don't associate it too closely with next week. There's no indication of it being tied at all.

Roller
Well, I hope they do better than MW 2002: The reality didn't quite match the hype on Apple's site back then.

For 2007, it's going to be hard to live up to the expectations set by all the rumor sites. It'd be great if Apple came up with something nobody saw coming, though.

Doctor Q
Jan 1, 2007, 07:43 PM
Thank goodness that first 30 years is out of the way, so now we can get to the good stuff.

andyh2
Woah, I've never seen anything like that on apples site before since 2003!

macridah
I think you've just never noticed it before - looks pretty regular to me! :)

Uber

OK, I thought it was glossy before.

jonharris200
Jan 1, 2007, 07:45 PM
Thank goodness that first 30 years is out of the way, so now we can get to the good stuff.
Yeah, Apple, c'mon, get a move on. ;)

spine
Jan 1, 2007, 07:46 PM
I hate to be a downer - but in light of the stock restatement scandal - this (and the pre-announcement of iTv) may be aimed at keeping a positive face at the future. A way to reassure the stockholders.
Still - it does seem like they are set to annouce a new product in a segment that is new to apple.
I can't wait to tune in....

Apple Corps
Jan 1, 2007, 07:46 PM
Let's hope the event hype is matched with real product launch. We have heard so much for so long about: video iPod, iPhone, Beatles songs on iTunes, fill in your choice.

I'll be in attendance - fingers crossed!!!

thomasfxlt
Jan 1, 2007, 07:48 PM
Lifestyle development transends hardware products (iTunes). I suspect it will be a bold integration of device/portal for the enhanced delivery and use of new products like the phone, iTV etc....

I also think that the biggest indicator of this is that there are no rumors out there of anything significant enough to warrant such a hype. The only thing Apple can keep quiet nowadays is "software" development. Outside contractors really screw-up confidentiality.

We'll see. It may involve some kind of bold joint venture or aquisition. (Disney, Google, Sony, Palm) who knows?

twoodcc
Jan 1, 2007, 07:52 PM

i'm thinking the same thing......can't wait

Compile 'em all
Jan 1, 2007, 07:52 PM
Something BIG is going to happen :cool: .

Gump
Jan 1, 2007, 07:53 PM
This is exciting.

If Apple Computer is EVER going to establish itself as legitimate and/or standard in the marketplace and offer a significant alternative to the Windows PC, the place is here and the time is now.

I'm waiting!

Chef Medeski
Jan 1, 2007, 07:55 PM
I really don't think this is referring to a specific product. Just a "happy new year" greeting. That's all.
Yeah I agree. If it had been a link to the MSWF site.... then thats understandable. But there is no link. I think its just a Happy new Years marketing stunt.

animefan_1
Jan 1, 2007, 07:58 PM
that image is decidedly un-apple. the balance is all off and the light rays aren't coming from a consistent source. the distortion in the upper left of the apple coupled with the bit mark being cropped make it look more like a rotten apple.

The image isn't about balance, it's about symbolization. The light rays in the image Apple used are not used to simulate a spotlight (where the light source would be more consistent around the edges), but rather a dawning - a new dawn for Apple in this case. About the bite mark, it looks the same to me.

afields
(w00t)

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

MongoTheGeek

G5 powerbooks tomorrow (tuesday) :)

Maybe another superbowl commercial.

I don't really expect much actually.

Stridder44

lol I was thinking the same thing. I mean I WANT it to be something amazing but I'm betting money that it's just a nice banner telling everyone to have a happy new year, Apple style.

Mydel
Jan 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
Oh No!!!!!! I will go broke again....

pdpfilms
Jan 1, 2007, 08:00 PM

I don't see how this points to new products at all. The banner mentions nothing about new products, MWSF, or anything else. It also doesn't link to anything, meaning it could just be a simple "here's to the coming 30 years" message. I wouldn't get too excited, guys.

apfhex
Jan 1, 2007, 08:02 PM
the graphic does look a little... poorly done? Especially that distortion in the corner... (for want of a better word!)
I don't see any "distortions"... huh?

The image isn't about balance, it's about symobization. The light rays in the image Apple used are not used to simulate a spotlight (where the light source would be more consistent around the edges), but rather a dawning.
I agree. I think it's pretty neat looking, an effect I might want to try to achieve myself sometime.

I also don't see it as trying to create hype. Apple really didn't do or say much about their 30 year anniversary (of the Mac), so it's a fun message to think about (just imagine what they'll have 30 years from now!).

animefan_1
Jan 1, 2007, 08:02 PM
I hate to be a downer - but in light of the stock restatement scandal - this (and the pre-announcement of iTv) may be aimed at keeping a positive face at the future. A way to reassure the stockholders.
Still - it does seem like they are set to annouce a new product in a segment that is new to apple.
I can't wait to tune in....

I don't think you have to worry about being a downer. I doubt Steve Jobs is too worried about what the stockholders think - a lot of them are Chicken Littles anyway. I feel the new image would be where it is whether or not there was any "scandal".

----------

As far as this image goes, I hope people keep in mind that Apple is not putting all of their eggs in one basket - MWSF. Rather, MWSF will the starting point for one hell of a year for Apple.

MWSF will be Apple starting point for telling their "competition": "Sit down, shut up and let the Master show you how it's done."

Rock on Apple!:cool:

MacQuest
Jan 1, 2007, 08:03 PM

Yes. Let's hope it's their sleeve.

:eek: ;) :p

Compile 'em all
Jan 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
it does seem like they are set to annouce a new product in a segment that is new to apple.

This is actually how I feel about that posted teaser. I mean "'The First 30 years were just the beginning... Welcome to 2007' implies that Apple will start doing something new they didn't do before. The teaser doesn't sound like normal product upgrades to me.

I for one would like to welcome our new phone overlords :D.

jonharris200
Jan 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
The Second Coming? :p

sonictonic
Jan 1, 2007, 08:05 PM

I fully agree.

I mean, I'm excited too but damn people. I'm starting to become more aware at how many of us Mac users read into these little tiny things WAY WAY WAY too much. :p

animefan_1
Jan 1, 2007, 08:06 PM
This is exciting.

If Apple Computer is EVER going to establish itself as legitimate and/or standard in the marketplace and offer a significant alternative to the Windows PC, the place is here and the time is now.

I'm waiting!

Personally, I disagree. Apple has been legitimate standard since Mac OS X shipped (and beforehand). It's only been in the past 12-18 months where people are starting to really notice.

Mammoth
Jan 1, 2007, 08:07 PM
Okay I would pee myself right now if I had to pee. Something absolutely enormous is going to happen and it's going to be completely revolutionary. The "Lust Factor" leads me to believe something along the lines of an iPod will be made, but 10 times better.

psychofreak
Jan 1, 2007, 08:09 PM
The Second Coming? :p

Steve has a beard.
Joseph is not Steve's dad.
Nuff said...

Stridder44
Jan 1, 2007, 08:09 PM
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q4/macosx-10.1/images/believe-big.jpg

puckhead193
Jan 1, 2007, 08:12 PM
the first line has me thinking new products, but the second lines to indicate a happy new year thing... so who knows....

Mr. Anderson
Jan 1, 2007, 08:12 PM
Apple has hyped the hype before - much worse than this. Anyone remember MacWorld SF 2002.

This year's graphic is much nicer though :p

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65224&stc=1&d=1167703849"]http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65224&stc=1&d=1167703849

D :D

ThomasJefferson
Jan 1, 2007, 08:13 PM
... uh oh ...

Steve found a warehouse full of leftover 500MHz G3's.:eek:
We are doomed ....!:(

arn
The "Lust Factor" leads me to believe something along the lines of an iPod will be made, but 10 times better.

The "Lust Factor" quote was from 2002.

arn

mjstew33
I hate Apple right now. The suspense is killing me!!!!

ugh!! And I had a chance to go to MacWorld, and I wasn't able to go.

Damn exams. :mad:

MacQuest
Jan 1, 2007, 08:14 PM

WE need them. :D

Matthew Yohe
Jan 1, 2007, 08:15 PM
The hype-machine has turned on.

monke
Jan 1, 2007, 08:17 PM
WE need them. :D

Someone needs to start a 'Donate to the needy MacRumors members so they can buy all the latest gadgets' website. :D

I can't wait.

Rocketman
Jan 1, 2007, 08:18 PM

True.

But Steve and Apple Corporate do indeed believe in UPOD.

See my predictions in the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=265273

Rocketman

cadillaccactus
Jan 1, 2007, 08:23 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

OdduWon
Jan 1, 2007, 08:26 PM
I think this is a greeting and a hint towards illuminess being previewed. There is a now Blacked mac emblem from the glowing light behind it.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/odduwon/Picture8.pngWonder if it will be big light bulbs this year or small :D
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/odduwon/idea_bulb.jpg

kcmac
Jan 1, 2007, 08:28 PM
Ballmer just threw a chair....:D

doogle
Jan 1, 2007, 08:30 PM
obviously the graphic references the black monolith from "2001, A Space Odyssey"...it's actually kind of foreboding.

Rocketman
Jan 1, 2007, 08:31 PM
Let's hope the event hype is matched with real product launch.

Here's what we DO know about 2007, MWSF aside. . . .

Apple bought a $50m telecom center over a year ago to do "something". . . .

Apple bought a new Cupertino campus for over $50m 6+ months ago to do "something" . . . . .

Steve Jobs owns a "significant" portion of Disney, not because he needs the money, or because his ego was not big enough already, but to leverage the evil non-compliant world around him, to HIS view of things. You know, downloadable media content of all types, at all times, to all devices, at all places, from all people (against their will).

Buy once view many.

First music, then eBooks, and broadcast TV, then movies. What's next? consumer distributed content?

Shocking.

On the hardware side we have incremental COMPUTER upgrades, incremental MUSIC upgrades, incremental computer SOFTWARE upgrades, and ASTOUNDING media and MEDIA VIEWING, and MEDIA DISTRIBUTION, and MEDIA STORE/DELIVER upgrades to come.

In 2007.

Rocketman

WillMak
Jan 1, 2007, 08:33 PM
How much does it cost to go to MAcworld?

thomasfxlt
Jan 1, 2007, 08:35 PM
Here's what we DO know about 2007, MWSF aside. . . .

Apple bought a $50m telecom center over a year ago to do "something". . . .

Apple bought a new Cupertino campus for over $50m 6+ months ago to do "something" . . . . .

Steve Jobs owns a "significant" portion of Disney, not because he needs the money, or because his ego was not big enough already, but to leverage the evil non-compliant world around him, to HIS view of things. You know, downloadable media content of all types, at all times, to all devices, at all places, from all people (against their will).

Buy once view many.

First music, then eBooks, and broadcast TV, then movies. What's next? consumer distributed content?

Shocking.

On the hardware side we have incremental COMPUTER upgrades, incremental MUSIC upgrades, incremental computer SOFTWARE upgrades, and ASTOUNDING media and MEDIA VIEWING, and MEDIA DISTRIBUTION, and MEDIA STORE/DELIVER upgrades to come.

In 2007.

Rocketman

You and I are on the same planet Rocketman

Me1000
Jan 1, 2007, 08:36 PM
I really hope leopard doesnt come out!

*hides*
I just invested $1500 on a macbook, i really dont want to fork out another $150 for an upgraded OS, cuz i know i have to get it. lol :p

Steven1621
Jan 1, 2007, 08:41 PM
why am i leaving the country for two weeks, far from any internet source? why? why?

SiliconAddict
Jan 1, 2007, 08:43 PM
Meh. . . I'll believe it when I see something that warrants such hype. My cells have been so saturated with radiation from Steve's Reality Distortion Field that I'm immune to BS at this point. Enough Top Secret" features. No more snappy banners. No more pretty speeches talking crap about Vista. Its time for Jobs to put up or shut up come January 9th.

I really hope leopard doesnt come out!

*hides*
I just invested $1500 on a macbook, i really dont want to fork out another $150 for an upgraded OS, cuz i know i have to get it. lol :p

Don't worry it won't. And if by some massive stretch of someone's imagination that it does; only a fool would upgrade to an OS as rushed, if it comes out in Jan, as 10.5.

thomasfxlt
Jan 1, 2007, 08:45 PM
Digital cameras became "mainstream" when it became easy for "mom" to print the pictures at any local Walmart (and they looked good)

MP3 players showed up in everyone's pocket when they were easy to get content into and were reasonably inexpensive.

There is a microwave in every kitchen because of 1 button cooking.

Steve has a few more "toasters" up his sleeve for 07'

Benjamindaines
Jan 1, 2007, 08:47 PM
I feel so ripped off, you can't even click it and get cool stuff :(

jlewis2k1
Jan 1, 2007, 08:48 PM
i got butterflies in my stomach... i think some extremely huge is going to happen ... *waits very patiently*

Adam Betts
Jan 1, 2007, 08:52 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/adambetts/forums/Apple30Years.jpg

iJawn108
Jan 1, 2007, 08:54 PM
Could there be a new logo on the way? :confused:

mdriftmeyer
Jan 1, 2007, 08:55 PM

Basic floor vendors and watching Keynote from a different theatre then where Steve is live usually runs $45 for late register exhibitor hall.

The cost to get there (assuming you don't live in the Bay Area) varies with airlines and the hotels for lodging.

They are quite enjoyable. Well worth the general admission vendor ticket.

Pricing: http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/register

MacQuest
...but the graphic does look a little... poorly done? Especially that distortion in the corner...

OH GAWD!!!

Here come the "Photoshop Conspiracy Theorists" already! :eek:

The image isn't about balance, it's about symbolization. The light rays in the image Apple used are not used to simulate a spotlight (where the light source would be more consistent around the edges), but rather a dawning - a new dawn for Apple in this case. About the bite mark, it looks the same to me.

Ah geez... :rolleyes:

;)

cr2sh
pic
Maybe you should be prepare for proof reading?

aiongiant
Jan 1, 2007, 08:58 PM
bring it on apple! my credit card is ready for you!!!
come onnn apple phone! hehe

WillMak
Jan 1, 2007, 09:00 PM
Basic floor vendors and watching Keynote from a different theatre then where Steve is live usually runs $45 for late register exhibitor hall.

The cost to get there (assuming you don't live in the Bay Area) varies with airlines and the hotels for lodging.

They are quite enjoyable. Well worth the general admission vendor ticket.

Pricing: http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/register

DAmn...is the 45 dollar basic ticket even worth it?

FF_productions
Jan 1, 2007, 09:07 PM
Meh. . . I'll believe it when I see something that warrants such hype. My cells have been so saturated with radiation from Steve's Reality Distortion Field that I'm immune to BS at this point. Enough Top Secret" features. No more snappy banners. No more pretty speeches talking crap about Vista. Its time for Jobs to put up or shut up come January 9th.

Agreed.

This MacWorld is going to be very exciting. Last year they unveiled the first round of Intels, now they need to try to top that...

BigPrince
Jan 1, 2007, 09:09 PM
MWSF will be Apple starting point for telling their "competition": "Sit down, shut up and let the Master show you how it's done."

Nice. I also do not think its 100% tied to Macworld, but I hope to God it is.

adrianblaine
Jan 1, 2007, 09:13 PM
obviously the graphic references the black monolith from "2001, A Space Odyssey"...it's actually kind of foreboding.

When I first saw it I thought of the Solar Eclipse from Heros...

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/images/common/heroes_logo.jpg

MacQuest
Jan 1, 2007, 09:17 PM
...I hope people keep in mind that Apple is not putting all of their eggs in one basket - MWSF. Rather, MWSF will the starting point for one hell of a year for Apple.

That's EXACTLY what I was saying when I started this thread... "I've been telling everyone all year that I felt that Apple is REALLY gonna do BIG things in 2007."

Meaning several things throughout the entire year. :cool:

"Rock on Apple" indeed. :D

Superdrive
Jan 1, 2007, 09:19 PM
Ready for iTV and Apple Phone! Bring it on!

BenRoethig
Jan 1, 2007, 09:22 PM
Digital cameras became "mainstream" when it became easy for "mom" to print the pictures at any local Walmart (and they looked good)

MP3 players showed up in everyone's pocket when they were easy to get content into and were reasonably inexpensive.

There is a microwave in every kitchen because of 1 button cooking.

Steve has a few more "toasters" up his sleeve for 07'

The question here is there another iPod up his sleeve where apple took an emerging market and took it to the next level or will iTV be an expensive attempt to fix things only Steve and a few others think are broken.

JackAxe
Jan 1, 2007, 09:26 PM
I hope that all of their new products are designed to look like apples. I've always wanted red-delicious-flip-phone. http://www.bainne.com/fun/blah_happy.gif

<]=)

MattyMac
Jan 1, 2007, 09:28 PM
Wow...I am now incredibly excited. Things like this make apple so flippin' awesome!

MovieCutter
Jan 1, 2007, 09:29 PM
I think I just soiled myself...

Apple doesn't do this unless they really have something spectacular up their sleeves.

ipedro
Jan 1, 2007, 09:31 PM
I think this is a greeting and a hint towards illuminess being previewed. There is a now Blacked mac emblem from the glowing light behind it.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/odduwon/Picture8.png

... You my friend hit the nail right on the head. This is totally reminiscent of the new UI rumored to be named "illuminess". I think one of the Top Secret features of Leopard will be a completely new UI. Windows is running out of breath, this is Jobs' chance at sprinting past Microsoft for the first time since Windows 3.1

I feel that this banner alludes to events to happen throughout 2007, not just MWSF, but I think we'll get a good view of it during the keynote.

MacQuest
Jan 1, 2007, 09:33 PM

ROFLMAO!!! :D

AND he just realized that he has no clothes. :p

(GOOGLE: "the emperor has no clothes" if you don't get it) ;)

$50 million. They need YOU to pay for the telcom center that's gonna be used for MacPhone traffic. ;)

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 1, 2007, 09:35 PM
Thats awesome haha. I cant wait to see what comes in 2007! :D

Oh and whats Illuminess?

Cybergypsy
Jan 1, 2007, 09:36 PM
Kinda look like the sun is rising behind the apple......Maybe new toy tomorrow!!!!!!!!! Hoping!!!!

RichP
Jan 1, 2007, 09:38 PM
It's going to be a long week...

OdduWon
Jan 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
... You my friend hit the nail right on the head. This is totally reminiscent of the new UI rumored to be named "illuminess". I think one of the Top Secret features of Leopard will be a completely new UI. Windows is running out of breath, this is Jobs' chance at sprinting past Microsoft for the first time since Windows 3.1

I feel that this banner alludes to events to happen throughout 2007, not just MWSF, but I think we'll get a good view of it during the keynote.

Just saw a new ABC commercial on Tv and the AQUA like circle was now shiny with a black "illuminess" defining the edge. ;)

MovieCutter
Jan 1, 2007, 09:42 PM
It's going to be a long week...

Quoted for emphasis

mdriftmeyer
Jan 1, 2007, 09:42 PM
DAmn...is the 45 dollar basic ticket even worth it?

It's good all week and if you are socially capable of networking you will find yourself at various "parties" where you get to meet people with doors that can open for you.

Rocketman
Jan 1, 2007, 09:49 PM
ROFLMAO!!! :D

AND he just realized that he has no clothes. :p

(GOOGLE: "the emperor has no clothes" if you don't get it) ;)

The CEO of Google (fastest growing NASDAQ stock with large capitalization) is on the Apple board.

The former VP of the (whole) USA is on the Apple board.

The most egocentric and reality distortion field person on the planet (SJ) is iCEO of Apple.

He even tamed the Beatles snake (who had no basis for their many and expensive claims).

At some point you have to admit he took a purchase from Lucas (no mean feat), to a multiple-domination of the theatrical release market (no mean feat), to the person who defines "imagineering" at DISNEY (unimaginable feat) . . .

Rocketman

richdun
Jan 1, 2007, 09:50 PM
So what (or who?) does Apple think it is going to eclipse? That's the main image I get from the graphic. Sun is too weak to eclipse and mean anything - and that would just be way too corny. How long until we see something about "eclipsing the upcoming vista" or something like that?

sandau
Jan 1, 2007, 09:52 PM
hopefully it'll be a daily updating image...at least it appears to be one based on the image name:

welcome2007_20070101 .jpg

what will
welcome2007_20070102. jpg and up until the event bring?

OdduWon
Jan 1, 2007, 09:54 PM
So what (or who?) does Apple think it is going to eclipse? That's the main image I get from the graphic. Sun is too weak to eclipse and mean anything - and that would just be way too corny. How long until we see something about "eclipsing the upcoming vista" or something like that?

could be play on the "showtime event" as were are getting closer to the spotlights.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/odduwon/Picture10.png

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/odduwon/Picture5.png:D ;) :p

or perhaps we are following apple to the "bright" future.

dllavaneras
Jan 1, 2007, 09:56 PM
I can't wait! Bring on the new gadgets :D

Benjamindaines
Jan 1, 2007, 09:59 PM
I can't wait! Bring on the new gadgets :D

Hopefully not an 800MHz BUS MacBook Pro :P

todd2000
Jan 1, 2007, 09:59 PM
hopefully it'll be a daily updating image...at least it appears to be one based on the image name:

what will

Nice catch, you might be on to something there!!

Xyl
Jan 1, 2007, 10:03 PM

what will

I don't think it really means anything. The name of the image just has today's date on it (indicating when it was posted). If you go to http://www.apple.ca, it still has the old C2D image, and that one has a date too....:confused:

Still, maybe they are hinting something...or maybe we're all just making things up for our own pleasure :p.

sbaik
Jan 1, 2007, 10:06 PM
I think all that is because of the Apple Phone (or whatever they gonna call it) and the iTV its 2 new markets for apple so i think we will see them at MWSF and maybe with a new display to show the iTV on them and probably 24" to replace the 23. but again if this is true why didn't they launched it before xmas?

Leopard not now but again who knows!

iLife '07 is an option too and maybe with something to do with iTV

other than that I don't think there will be something big (its already big I know:)) as we all know about intel and their future plans 8 cores already on HP and Dell and they did it without big bangs so probably apple will show us the 8 cores at NAB with new Final Cut to take advantage of the 8 cores and Leopard will be already announced.
And maybe by the end of the year will see the 16 cores!

wow its going to be Apple year

I'm just thinking loud..and I'm sure I'll be surprised too:o

macman2790
Jan 1, 2007, 10:06 PM
i think i might be getting the final release of leopard in the mail for my adc membership a litter earlier than i thought. I have a good feeling on this one, i think apple is going to try to steal the show before vista is released. It only makes sense that way to me. I could be wrong though.

Warbrain
Jan 1, 2007, 10:07 PM
Well, damn, I made a mess.

gothiquegirrl
Jan 1, 2007, 10:13 PM
Well, as Apple have said, so should I! Happy new year everyone!

Like the idea, but the graphic does look a little... poorly done? Especially that distortion in the corner... (for want of a better word!)

Why is everyone looking at this as a "black apple" with a distortion??
It looks to me like a WHITE Apple .. I know , I know.. just follow me...
but a WHITE APPLE... being sort of "unveiled" by the light? Like.. i took it as " apple is coming out of the dark"... or maybe.. It's like a " new dawn" or something.. or maybe it's just a " Dawn of the New Year"..

Ok, I have met my Quotation Mark Quota, along with my period quota, so I am gonna go.

Happy New Year!

Angie

jicon
Jan 1, 2007, 10:18 PM
Not getting worked up...

2005 was touted as "The year of HD" by Apple... yeah, get back to me on that one Steve...

Apple throws around the words "amazing", "breathtaking", "elegant" throwing brushed metal and a reflection on any piece of plastic or graphic like it was going out of style. Not getting worked up.

Since they're after our money, I'm sure we'll see nothing more than modest upgrades to the iPod this year, a phone with poor battery power, and of course, the most interesting product, iTV... with support for 802.11n

Since I'm hoping for AVI/Divx, along with PVR support, it will likely only cater to MOV files or MPG, similar to iPod... with some fatal flaw making the next revision worthwhile to buy... perhaps limited to 640x480, or 4:3 video only.

I'm seriously running out of shelf space for DVDs, and would love a product that could encode the discs in Widescreen, with 6.1 audio, and decent picture.

/Probably asking too much.

jwhitnah
Jan 1, 2007, 10:24 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has updated their website with a New Year's greeting and a teaser:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/firstthirty.jpg

I thought the last teaser was 2003, not 2002. It was regarding the G5. Right?

Aeolius
Jan 1, 2007, 10:30 PM
I'm seriously running out of shelf space for DVDs, and would love a product that could encode the discs in Widescreen, with 6.1 audio, and decent picture.

And you'll pay through the nose, to get it: Kaleidescape (http://www.kaleidescape.com/)

lamina
Jan 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
In 2007: New 10.5, iTV, full video iPod, possible ultra-portable, iPod sales surge, Mac OS usage up even more over last year.

This is gonna be huge.

chubad
Jan 1, 2007, 10:37 PM
Yawn.... It's just Apple wishing everyone a happy new year.

MattyMac
Jan 1, 2007, 10:45 PM
Ok...Mr. Pessimist :p

Mac'Mo
Jan 1, 2007, 10:46 PM
ooo im quite excited to see now what comes out of MWSF. A true vPod would tingle my spending senses.

nagromme
Jan 1, 2007, 10:48 PM
Nice!

Subtle, understated, and yet humble.

sbaik
Jan 1, 2007, 10:50 PM
maybe they are talking about the coming 30 years:)

texasmafia
Jan 1, 2007, 10:55 PM
Has anyone given thought to when they will start teasing us with info on OS 11? I think Leopard could be the last version of OS X and 2007 will be the year we start to hear about OS 11.

I don't think the message on the Apple page is referring to this, but it got me thinking about what lies ahead.

kcmac
Jan 1, 2007, 11:02 PM
And you'll pay through the nose, to get it: Kaleidescape (http://www.kaleidescape.com/)
That's actually pretty interesting.

I am hoping Apple can do something to make it easy to burn and store all your home movies, music, etc. And make it reasonably sized. Movies take up a lot of space. If they can do this, we would probably get a new TV and the iTV package to make it all work.

tcrab
Jan 1, 2007, 11:34 PM
I can't wait till MWSF! I was thinking about buying my first mac before Macworld now I'm glad I waited

Oh! BTW I love Heroes:D

When I first saw it I thought of the Solar Eclipse from Heros...

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/images/common/heroes_logo.jpg

Erasmus
Jan 1, 2007, 11:39 PM
How about...

True Video 6G iPod Phone???
Would be cool. Soo cool. 640x480 screen, pull out num pad, touch screen. With of course a 100Gb HDD to hold all your videos, music and backups.

Then of course we have our Mini Mac Pro, with Kentsfield, and support for decent graphics cards.

Of course, we will also be given the dual Clovertown Mac Pro with some new GPU options (GF 8800GTX or R. X2800 anyone?)

So happy! So not going to happen. Well the last one probably will, but putting the iPhone into the True Video iPod would be awesome, and well worth the predicted ~AU$900 that whoever it was said it would be. But it NEEDS a 100Gb HDD!

Ah well, maybe not. Whatever Apple releases in a week, it will be pretty cool I have no doubt.

Jan 1, 2007, 11:50 PM
_

MattInOz
Jan 2, 2007, 12:06 AM
Has anyone given thought to when they will start teasing us with info on OS 11? I think Leopard could be the last version of OS X and 2007 will be the year we start to hear about OS 11.

I don't think the message on the Apple page is referring to this, but it got me thinking about what lies ahead.

I would have thought the next OS after X runs out would be OS C (100) not 11. If you take Classic as being Mac OS I and X being a complete kernel up rebuild, then the next time that happens would be X retirement.

The first Mac OS lasted 10+years with a couple of years transition.
You expect them to get similar life out of X. I guess they are planning where to next but wouldn't expect them to tell us till OS X.9 or so is on the shelves. Then allow a couple of releases before the new one hits mainstream, like OS X wasn't full mainstream till X.3.

But looking in the crystal ball i wonder,...
Is front row/quartz a new os?
Or the start of one. one in which the GPU becomes the central processor, then multi-threads other tasks to the other processors or make use of hardware available, be that media processors, or multi-core old style CPUs, or xgrid managed remote clusters.

In that case then we are starting to See OS C.
But that is just wild speculation.

D34thPwny
Jan 2, 2007, 12:06 AM
Oh, can't wait!

aswitcher
Jan 2, 2007, 12:28 AM
Its good to see this.
I was a bit worried my m oney hording for a new multimedia mac might have been in vein but this gets my hopes up again.

PPC970FX
Jan 2, 2007, 12:28 AM
What is 100% shurly going to happen:
8 way powermac, Leopard, iTV ( with a different name) new iWorks, iLife

50%
iPod phone, numbers, screans, one mac will be differnt then from before

20%
all new iPods, a 30 years mac, Beatels in iTunes, all the big players will sell there movies on iTunes and 1 other country will be able to download movies from some studios, 802,11n standers taking over 100%, and something way cool

kalisphoenix
Jan 2, 2007, 12:30 AM
I think that the word "just" means that 76-06 were nothing compared to 2007, while I don't think this message refers to a specific product, I think its more than a "happy new year" greeting. If that were the case, the would have just said "happy new year" or just "Welcome to 2007"

Nah. Strictly routine. No more than a friendly message with a not-so-subtle allusion to the strength of the company. Happy Holidays from Ohio's Number One Newsteam.

Apple had to say something about the company. Something to say "30 years and still going strong, despite the best efforts of insane rumormongers to completely overanalyze everything we say, even if it's a simple 'howdy'."

If they hadn't, we'd all find something else to tweak on. "OMG the new Mac Pro will be a tall black monolith with the power to send Keir Dullea flying through miles of slit-screen photography. It hasn't gotten FCC approval yet, though." Or "All the black is because the new 8-core Mac Pro will blow every fuse in your house as soon as you boot it." Or "The iPod Invisa is only visible when held up in front of a strong source of light."

This isn't any sort of hidden message. It's nothing intricate. They're just saying "Still going strong. Happy New Years. Open those wallets, kids."

pdpfilms
Jan 2, 2007, 12:34 AM
Well said, kalisphoenix. I agree entirely.

Of course something is going to be released at MWSF, but I don't think this particular banner means it's going to be any more exciting.

sachamun
Jan 2, 2007, 12:48 AM

AU isn't either, but it's always a bit behind. Sometimes days.

d_saum
Jan 2, 2007, 12:58 AM
Nah. Strictly routine. No more than a friendly message with a not-so-subtle allusion to the strength of the company. Happy Holidays from Ohio's Number One Newsteam.

Apple had to say something about the company. Something to say "30 years and still going strong, despite the best efforts of insane rumormongers to completely overanalyze everything we say, even if it's a simple 'howdy'."

This isn't any sort of hidden message. It's nothing intricate. They're just saying "Still going strong. Happy New Years. Open those wallets, kids."

wow.. its gonna be funny when you eat those words after MWSF. ;) The "Welcome to 2007" should be a dead giveaway that they are about to release some new products that they are excited about. If it was just a "Happy New Years" announcement, it would've been just that.

irmongoose
Jan 2, 2007, 01:00 AM
Like.. i took it as " apple is coming out of the dark"

Steve is gay and is coming out of the closet! :eek: ;) :p

I thought the last teaser was 2003, not 2002. It was regarding the G5. Right?

It was 2002, regarding the iMac G4.
The 2003 "teaser" about the G5 was a screw-up by someone at Apple, who was subsequently fired.

Of course something is going to be released at MWSF, but I don't think this particular banner means it's going to be any more exciting.

The whole point is that this shows that Steve thinks it's something revolutionary. That's why he told them to create hype. And this is hype. Oh yes it is.
What other year has Apple put up a New Year's greeting on their front page, especially with such seductive text and images?

irmongoose

pdpfilms
Jan 2, 2007, 01:02 AM
wow.. its gonna be funny when you eat those words after MWSF. ;) The "Welcome to 2007" should be a dead giveaway that they are about to release some new products that they are excited about. If it was just a "Happy New Years" announcement, it would've been just that.

We're all entitled to our own opinions...

It's just that his (and my) view won't leave us let down no matter what MWSF brings.;)

iMeowbot
Jan 2, 2007, 01:06 AM
That's the first thing that popped into my mind too, the whole "something wonderful" bit from Bowman in 2010.
Could there be a new logo on the way? :confused:
No.

Peace
Jan 2, 2007, 01:16 AM
After doing the typical analyze the whole thing scenerio I've come up with 2 very good observations.

First as a person that uses XCode a lot.That design concept is right out of the Quartz playbook..
Secondly the logo is the key..

It's black with light beaming out from behind..

For those of us that own LCD TV's.Think obout the similarity.
Black logo --- Black sceen.

Light emitting from behind the logo.

Thats the same light you see emitting from the back of a HDTV if it's close to a wall.

2007 really IS the year of HD.Not 2006

Wide screen HD cinema displays.LCD's.
Perhaps a HDTV from Apple..The missing 30th anniversary Mac.
iTV

With a Quartz driven Front Row O/S running the whole show.

kalisphoenix
Jan 2, 2007, 01:31 AM
After doing the typical analyze the whole thing scenerio I've come up with 2 very good observations.

First as a person that uses XCode a lot.That design concept is right out of the Quartz playbook..
Secondly the logo is the key..

It's black with light beaming out from behind..

For those of us that own LCD TV's.Think obout the similarity.
Black logo --- Black sceen.

Light emitting from behind the logo.

Thats the same light you see emitting from the back of a HDTV if it's close to a wall.

2007 really IS the year of HD.Not 2006

Wide screen HD cinema displays.LCD's.
Perhaps a HDTV from Apple..The missing 30th anniversary Mac.
iTV

With a Quartz driven Front Row O/S running the whole show.

This is an excellent example of what I mean (and please tell me you're joking, Peace). "If you add up the angles of all of the bursts of light from behind the apple, they add up to 911. Clearly, Microsoft hates America because they hate Freedom. Also, if you combine this with the 'illuminous' rumors and the fact that the logo is being 'illuminated,' you can easily catch the reference to the 'Illuminati.' The only evil organization controlling everything in the world is Microsoft, as we all know. And so, the Illuminati are Microsoft. And since Microsoft owns Apple stock, the Illuminati are behind Apple in a figurative as well as literal sense. Clearly, Microsoft hates Freedom and is Butt-Raping the Apple Logo."

Again: Apple is releasing new products in 2007? No @#$%, huh?

What I'm saying is that Apple isn't toying with us. They're not going to release a damn Apple Phone or an iGirlfriend. The iTV is going to be an Airport Express for video. Leopard's going to be a step forward, but it's not going to rival the OS from Minority Report. This year is likely going to be just like 2006, 2005, 2004, and 2003. Some bad choices, some good choices, some hardware glitches, but overall, a damn fun ride that I wouldn't give up on for any other computer company in the world.

Just... Jesus, people. Stop being insane.

Peace
Jan 2, 2007, 01:36 AM
This is an excellent example of what I mean (and please tell me you're joking, Peace). "If you add up the angles of all of the bursts of light from behind the apple, they add up to 911. Clearly, Microsoft hates America because they hate Freedom. Also, if you combine this with the 'illuminous' rumors and the fact that the logo is being 'illuminated,' you can easily catch the reference to the 'Illuminati.' The only evil organization controlling everything in the world is Microsoft, as we all know. And so, the Illuminati are Microsoft. And since Microsoft owns Apple stock, the Illuminati are behind Apple in a figurative as well as literal sense. Clearly, Microsoft hates Freedom and is Butt-Raping the Apple Logo."

Again: Apple is releasing new products in 2007? No @#$%, huh?

What I'm saying is that Apple isn't toying with us. They're not going to release a damn Apple Phone or an iGirlfriend. The iTV is going to be an Airport Express for video. Leopard's going to be a step forward, but it's not going to rival the OS from Minority Report. This year is likely going to be just like 2006, 2005, 2004, and 2003. Some bad choices, some good choices, some hardware glitches, but overall, a damn fun ride that I wouldn't give up on for any other computer company in the world.

Just... Jesus, people. Stop being insane.

I wasn't joking and I'm not insane.

Watch;)

I know how Apple thinks.

If Apple does indeed change it's homepage ala 2002 this does mean something..
Something that will culmunate on Apple's homepage Jan.9th.

cheunghy
Jan 2, 2007, 02:09 AM
Personally, I would like to see a redesigned apple.com, the interface has been used for years...

just a crazy idea...

chuckles:)
Jan 2, 2007, 02:12 AM
this could just be a way to try and distract people from the lack of innovation the last few months.

kalisphoenix
Jan 2, 2007, 02:14 AM
I wasn't joking and I'm not insane.

Watch;)

I know how Apple thinks.

If Apple does indeed change it's homepage ala 2002 this does mean something..
Something that will culmunate on Apple's homepage Jan.9th.

I hope you're right.

*gets out the butterfly net and watches you carefully ;)*

TheBobcat
Jan 2, 2007, 02:17 AM
Steve is gay and is coming out of the closet! :eek: ;) :p

Steve is MacSexual. He only does it with G3's (w/ FireWire) or better. Sometimes when he's feeling adventurous he throws in a Quadra, or uses the new vibrate feature on the iPhone.

Back on the ranch though, I'm going to bet that someone over at Apple gets a big kick out of how crazy these sites go whenever they do ANYTHING. It must be awesome to have that kind of power. Someday Bobcat....climb the ladder....

GregA
Jan 2, 2007, 02:21 AM
How about... True Video 6G iPod Phone???
<snip> putting the iPhone into the True Video iPod would be awesomeIt would be good, but maybe not possible (yet)? There's a lot of technology to squeeze into one device - though perhaps using flash-ram instead of hard disk will give it some extra room to play.

However - is there potential for something like
1) very basic Apple phone with bluetooth
2) fullscreen iPod with pen input and bluetooth
??

The idea of buying an iPod without worrying about the phone side... and just using my EXISTING phone (or my Mac) for data syncing etc... is appealing.

The idea of buying a simple, cheap, Apple phone to replace my existing phone (later) is appealing.

The idea of also using my basic Apple phone as a handset for iChat on my Mac for cheap VoIP calling is appealing too.

klaus
Jan 2, 2007, 02:23 AM
Sure, it will mean something, but you people seem to be like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory.

The black logo for instance. I think there's way too much attention to this. The effect on this image would NOT be possible if the logo would be white. The shining edges simply would degrade and that wouldn't look 'pro'. Right?

For the rest, enjoy the rest of the week leading up to Monday.

swingerofbirch
Jan 2, 2007, 02:27 AM
I hope Apple comes out with a myspace compatible ipod that they license to HP, a new Cyberdog interface for itunes, and add brushed metal--a la Safari--to some of the Dashboard widgets. I also hope they come out with a youtube compatible cell phone with the option to download exclusive live performances from lindsay lohan and nicole ritchie. YES.

/I was bored of all the hopeful predictions. This is actually what I thought of when I wondered: what would be the worst announcement Apple could make.

gikku
Jan 2, 2007, 02:27 AM
It all looks a bit dark, like iTunes7 and Aperture. Doesn't look good for the future of the blue OS X. Could be enough to stay with Tiger.

TheBobcat
Jan 2, 2007, 02:28 AM
I hope Apple comes out with a myspace compatible ipod that they license to HP, a new Cyberdog interface for itunes, and add brushed metal--a la Safari--to some of the Dashboard widgets. I also hope they come out with a youtube compatible cell phone with the option to download exclusive live performances from lindsay lohan and nicole ritchie. YES.

/I was bored of all the hopeful predictions. This is actually what I thought of when I wondered: what would be the worst announcement Apple could make.

I feel embarrassed now. I got really excited someone wanted the same things as me. Dammit!

kalisphoenix
Jan 2, 2007, 02:34 AM

The worst part about that, other than using my mandibles to wring out my own intestines, would be the threads on this forum relating how anxious people are for their purchases to arrive.

MacNut
Jan 2, 2007, 02:43 AM
The fun part is when there is no Apple cell phone and everyone blames Apple and says this is the worst MacWorld ever and how dare they do this to us.:rolleyes:

Hertog
Jan 2, 2007, 02:44 AM
After 7 pages worth of speculation, I had thought someone else would have came up with this by now. But anyway, the first thing I thought when I read about the 'first 30 years' was the rumored 30th Anniversary Mac. I mean, didn't the 20ht Anniversary one arrive a year after the actual anniversary?

kalisphoenix
Jan 2, 2007, 02:46 AM
After 7 pages worth of speculation, I had thought someone else would have came up with this by now. But anyway, the first thing I thought when I read about the 'first 30 years' was the rumored 30th Anniversary Mac. I mean, didn't the 20ht Anniversary one arrive a year after the actual anniversary?

I was thinking it too... but I don't know if I believe they'll do it. They didn't for the 25th, which would have been a better year. I dunno.

Quboid
Jan 2, 2007, 02:58 AM
Thank God I Waited. I Wanted To Get Something New This Year, But I Grinned It With My Ibook.

Well Come 2007, We Welcome You Indeed.

AppleIntelRock
Jan 2, 2007, 03:13 AM
So help me if apple gets our hopes up for nothing (hello, 5.5g ipod)- well, I'll never buy another apple product again. at least not for a week or so...

a456
Jan 2, 2007, 03:49 AM

Exactly this needs backing up. There is no link that the ad takes you to. If it had led to an 8-core Mac Pro or a Video iPod or a Flash Based MBP then maybe it might be telling us something. What it might be is simply an acknowledgement that the Mac is gaining market share and that they anticipate this continuing into 2007 - nothing new, nothing vastly improved, just what we have and what we know is coming.

In the UK the homepage is still advertising the MacBooks.

needthephone
Jan 2, 2007, 04:12 AM
The graphic is an eclipse representaton

Its like the diamond ring effect you get when the sun juts peeps out, The apple logo isn't black, its the colour anything looks compared to the intense light behnd it.

Does this mean what is coming will eclipse everything else??

As someone said if they redesign apple.com t would be a start. Its one of the worse sites Iv'e seen to acyually find out real information. I was trying to get a price for an imac with the windows parrallels software and MS Office-impossible

kenzbud
Jan 2, 2007, 04:18 AM
I knew I shoulda saved my x-mas money... LOL..... I'm hoping that they will introduce at least one product that hasn't been highly talked about already that will suprise everybody.... Not saying that I wouldn't mind seeing the iPhone however!!

MacBoobsPro
Jan 2, 2007, 04:25 AM
As someone said if they redesign apple.com t would be a start. Its one of the worse sites Iv'e seen to acyually find out real information. I was trying to get a price for an imac with the windows parrallels software and MS Office-impossible

:confused:

10 clicks =

Microsoft Office for Mac Standard Edition
Quantity: 1
Item Price: 271.49

Other items in your basket:

Parallels Desktop for Mac
Item Price: 42.51
iMac, 17-inch, 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Item Price: 577.87

Basket (ex VAT): 891.87
Shipping Charge: 0.00
VAT: 156.08
Subtotal: 1,047.95

MatthewCobb
Jan 2, 2007, 04:27 AM
vPod is on its way. Plus wacky new Ives design for iMac. Just as well I didn't order that C2D iMac in December. I did? Oh.

Mackilroy
Jan 2, 2007, 04:35 AM
Only took me four clicks to find out how much Office was.

To get the iMac price, two clicks. For Parallels, three clicks. Then to the Calculator in my Dock. :)

Perhaps you just don't know where to look?

On topic: Perhaps it will link to something once MWSF debuts?

Supa_Fly
Jan 2, 2007, 04:37 AM
This is exciting.
I'm waiting!

> While I agree its exiting - suspense is driving me nutso - I think the recent record profits/revenues for the last qtr along with stiffer competition and Mac's increase in US Market Share up 2% is a awesome start and seeing that "significant alternative to winpc".

Meh. . . I'll believe it when I see something that warrants such hype. My cells have been so saturated with radiation from Steve's Reality Distortion Field that I'm immune to BS at this point.

Dude I understand where your coming from but not to offend but you HAVE your Core2Duo MacBook Pro > so you've proven Jobs has delivered something worthy thus far. Also you posted here so you're already seeing some exitement from the Hype! I think & hope you'll be presently surprise. Hang in there man you'll be fine and happy I'm sure. If not then you can start swinging ;) Cheers man.

BTW, how come nobody has considered a surprise 30TH Anniversary Mac?! I'd love to see a decked out machine with pure multimedia experience along with shoffeur delivery service in North America - limited edition runs with Silver / Gold plated plaque of authenticity?!

Ooops, somebody just beat me too it. ;) :D

psychofreak
Jan 2, 2007, 04:45 AM
BTW, how come nobody has considered a surprise 30TH Anniversary Mac?! I'd love to see a decked out machine with pure multimedia experience along with shoffeur delivery service in North America - limited edition runs with Silver / Gold plated plaque of authenticity?!

I think that we're in for a huge change in apple: 30th anniversary mac will be $500 dollars more than the iMac, exactly the same as the regular one, and it will have an engraving of 30th Anniversary, made with the closest compass in the apple store, by the staff member who proves to be the fastest. They could have a new slogan to go with it, the blackbook, and apple RAM: "Apple:Pay much more for not much extra".

Seriously though, I NEED A 120GB iPOD. MacPhone would be nice.

Nym
Jan 2, 2007, 04:54 AM
"Apple:Pay much more for not much extra".

LMAO!

C'mon people, just wait a week already :D

iMikeT
Jan 2, 2007, 04:54 AM
I don't know where to begin... I'm excited but I'm going to keep myself prepared incase of disappointment.

MacQuest
Jan 2, 2007, 05:06 AM
Nah. Strictly routine. No more than a friendly message with a not-so-subtle allusion to the strength of the company...Apple had to say something about the company. Something to say "30 years and still going strong, despite the best efforts of insane rumormongers to completely overanalyze everything we say, even if it's a simple 'howdy'." ...This isn't any sort of hidden message. It's nothing intricate. They're just saying "Still going strong. Happy New Years. Open those wallets, kids."

Couldn't DISAGREE more. :rolleyes:

Just over 5 years since the introduction of the revolutionary iPod. It was introduced as [paraphrasing] "the first in a line of digital lifestyle devices coming from Apple."

What other ground-breaking digital lifestyle devices have we seen? No, iPod variants, iPod socks, and the Hi-Fi don't count... although I do think we're gonna see something REALLY cool from Apple AUDIO wise. Remember, they built their own acoustics research laboratory. Would they really go through all that trouble just for the Hi-Fi? I think not.

We're in for a fun ride with Apple this year. The gloves are off against microsoft on the OS front [Leopard vs. xp sp3... I mean vista], and I believe we're gonna see Apple doing damage on several new fronts, including the living room, further online distribution initiatives, the mobile phone AND ultra portable computing [NOT notebooks... tablet/pda hybrid] markets, getting back into consumer desktops [Mac Pro mini?... since the Mac Pro's are probably gonna be so high end], and who knows what else?

As I said in the first post of this thread:
I believe Apple will "Probably break into new markets and do to them what the iPod and iTunes did to the digital music player and online music markets."

I've got a "strong sneaking suspicion" that 2007 will be the year that Apple makes it a point to reduce, if not completely eliminate, mouse usage that it popularized in favor of touch/touch sensitive input for several devices. They've probably developed a combination of keyboard and touch input commands for the computer line-up.

And yes, I think that Apple will move further away from vista [since they're just trying to get a better looking OS similar to Mac OS X) by revamping the GUI with a more elegant look ("Illuminese" or whatever it's called).

But remember, this will all be spread out throughout 2007 and beyond. ;)

projectle
Jan 2, 2007, 05:19 AM
Prepare to be outrageously disapointed...

At MacWorld, SJ will announce the following:
Leopard will be released; on March 13, 2007 after three more months of continuous testing to make sure that everything from CoreAnimation to the new super-efficient ZFS File System will work well for everyone everywhere from G3 to Intel Core2Quatro.

On that note, there will be a new high end Mac Pro and Xserve that will be avaliable with Leopard on its release date as a custom configuration ($700 Extra for Quad Core Processors over base price).
Upon release of the new Mac Pros, there will be custom configuration of High Density DVD drives such as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

iTV will be released today.

10.4.9 will also be released today so that all recent Macs can supply iTV with HD content via 802.11n.

New movie studios have been added to the iTunes Store, however they are being offered at the same resolution as all current downloads, sorry.

There is a new Mac Mini for sale starting today incorporating the Core2 Duo processors and the updated Airport Extreme 802.11n.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 2, 2007, 05:27 AM
Prepare to be outrageously disapointed...

At MacWorld, SJ will announce the following:
Leopard will be released; on March 13, 2007 after three more months of continuous testing to make sure that everything from CoreAnimation to the new super-efficient ZFS File System will work well for everyone everywhere from G3 to Intel Core2Quatro.

On that note, there will be a new high end Mac Pro and Xserve that will be avaliable with Leopard on its release date as a custom configuration ($700 Extra for Quad Core Processors over base price).
Upon release of the new Mac Pros, there will be custom configuration of High Density DVD drives such as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

iTV will be released today.

10.4.9 will also be released today so that all recent Macs can supply iTV with HD content via 802.11n.

New movie studios have been added to the iTunes Store, however they are being offered at the same resolution as all current downloads, sorry.

There is a new Mac Mini for sale starting today incorporating the Core2 Duo processors and the updated Airport Extreme 802.11n.

Sounds good and along the lines of what I said :D i.e. keeping it real, man!

Huw
Jan 2, 2007, 05:39 AM
Am I the only one thinking that Apple may announce the UK movie store in iTunes? Especially with iTV's release being almost certain, surely other countries would need to have the downloadable content available from iTunes, in order to make iTV desirable to more than just US customers??

I'm probably totally wrong though! :D

iEdd
Jan 2, 2007, 05:39 AM
Beginning, middle, end. If the beginning took 30 years, the middle will take 60-90. For 2007, I see many disappointed people who drown their misery by ordering iLife and iWork '07 :D
I can't see anything too revolutionary coming out in a week's time. Evolutions, sure. 802.11n, Blu-Ray, faster processors.

Compile 'em all
Jan 2, 2007, 05:45 AM

Why don't they do it every year then ;)?

mhuk01
Jan 2, 2007, 05:52 AM
Am I the only one thinking that Apple may announce the UK movie store in iTunes? Especially with iTV's release being almost certain, surely other countries would need to have the downloadable content available from iTunes, in order to make iTV desirable to more than just US customers??

I'm probably totally wrong though! :D

i agree with you. I also get really p**sed about the fact that it seems many apple users in the US are unaware about the fact that they are the only ones with this service!

MacBoobsPro
Jan 2, 2007, 05:58 AM
i agree with you. I also get really p**sed about the fact that it seems many apple users in the US are unaware about the fact that they are the only ones with this service!

The films are still quite limited but they do add new stuff every week. TV shows seem to have more appeal to me. For a 1GB file the quality is surprisingly good, nothing breathtaking but better than you would think for such a small file.

I also agree. I think the UK store will appear soon to go along with iTV.

cube
Jan 2, 2007, 06:19 AM
I am glad they removed that annoying "Mac vs. PC" ad that started speaking everytime one visited apple.com

wiswis
Jan 2, 2007, 06:20 AM
Apple has hyped the hype before - much worse than this. Anyone remember MacWorld SF 2002.

This year's graphic is much nicer though :p

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65224&stc=1&d=1167703849"]http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65224&stc=1&d=1167703849

D :D

First of all sorry for asking
How did you get this old snap shot of Apple.com?
:)

MacQuest
Jan 2, 2007, 06:24 AM
I am glad they removed that annoying "Mac vs. PC" ad that started speaking everytime one visited apple.com

Uncheck "Play Movies Automatically" in Apple Menu/System Preferences/Quicktime/Browser.

;)

MatthewCobb
Jan 2, 2007, 06:27 AM
Am I the only one thinking that Apple may announce the UK movie store in iTunes?

Perhaps, but it's not exactly going to set MacWorld alight is it? Can you see all those California folk whistling and screaming "yaay" when Jobs announces it?

Don't agree with those who think it's all going to be dull. They need to follow up the iTV demo (and get a decent name, to return to the UK concerns - for readers from elsewhere, ITV is the name of the UK's national commercial TV network and, in recent years, it has become a synonym for "utterly dire"). They need to launch the vPod (same thing as iTV?). And I couldn't give a fig about the iPhone. Who needs a mobile phone that does anything more than phone? Oh. People at executions.

thomasfxlt
Jan 2, 2007, 06:27 AM
2006 was a disappointing year for product announcements. In retrospect, I believe it was contrived to be so. Apple "rode" the iPod farther than I expected without significant innovation. In my opinion, 2006 will be revealed as the greatest "rope-a-dope" of all time. Jobs has laid back and let the competition reveal itself. They're falling all over themselves trying to design devices and interfaces that capture Apple's iPod success. In the meantime, Jobs is driving the company to a vision that far transcends any iPod or phone. I think the comments that it won't be a single revolutionary product are correct. Rather a juggernaut of continuous innovation attacking lifestyle via new technologies and interfaces. And yes, Get Out Your Wallets.

lOUDsCREAMEr
Jan 2, 2007, 06:34 AM
Apple merges with Sun Microsystems ;)

cube
Jan 2, 2007, 06:38 AM
Uncheck "Play Movies Automatically" in Apple Menu/System Preferences/Quicktime/Browser.

;)

I use Firefox. This setting has no effect.

MacQuest
Jan 2, 2007, 06:41 AM

;)

I use Firefox. This setting has no effect.

Use Safari.

:D ;) (just kidding)

kresh
Jan 2, 2007, 06:42 AM
I just got it. It came to me in a vision while I was staring at the Apple eclipse photo.

Bill Gates sells all of his Microsoft stock to Steve Jobs for $1.00

vendettabass
Jan 2, 2007, 06:45 AM
sweet.. I just watched the MWSF06 and its 1 hour 34 minutes .. I thought it was just an hour! awesome, plenty of time for lots of new stuff :)

psychofreak
Jan 2, 2007, 06:48 AM

Neooffice + apple = B.E.A.utiful

MacQuest
Jan 2, 2007, 06:49 AM

Eclipses the competition.

It ALL makes sense now! ;)

sachamun
Jan 2, 2007, 06:54 AM
Who needs a mobile phone that does anything more than phone? Oh. People at executions.

I saw that video today on Google video...heavy stuff!!

odaiwai
Jan 2, 2007, 06:55 AM
Over the next few days that picture will start to rotate and turn into... An iMac shaped like a giant apple logo! With the original colourful stripes!

Graphic designers the world over: :eek:

cube
Jan 2, 2007, 06:55 AM

Bad taste joke

irmongoose
Jan 2, 2007, 07:01 AM
Well there's definitely going to be a daily update.
The URL of the image is
http://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/welcome2007_20070101.jpg

Meaning there's going to be a 0102.jpg, 0103.jpg, etc.

irmongoose

imacdaddy
Jan 2, 2007, 07:04 AM
The internet connection back to the US from Asia better be fixed in 6 days!!!

Hey MacRumors...you have mirrors in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore or Australia???

iMeowbot
Jan 2, 2007, 07:05 AM
Meaning there's going to be a 0102.jpg, 0103.jpg, etc.

Maybe, but dated image names are the norm for Apple. For example, the Finland page hasn't been switched over yet, and it has:

http://images.apple.com/fi/home/2006/images/macbookhero20061107.jpg
http://images.apple.com/fi/home/2006/images/macbooktitle20061107.jpg

thequicksilver
Jan 2, 2007, 07:10 AM
The only thing that would seem stratospheric enough to merit such hyperbole would be selling OS X for a PC.

Presuming this isn't going to happen, this is marketing BS. Roll on a week's time when this crap finishes.

(I used to get excited by this kind of thing, but this is the fourth MWSF keynote I've paid attention to and it's just getting boring. Nothing at all will match the shock of the Intel switch. It's the products that are fun; the build-up is tedious.)

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 2, 2007, 07:14 AM
I have to make 1 point and that point is Apple has finished the transition to Intel and every product is now at least 2 years old. This year we could see all new models across the board.

irmongoose
Jan 2, 2007, 07:16 AM
Maybe, but dated image names are the norm for Apple. For example, the Finland page hasn't been switched over yet, and it has:

http://images.apple.com/fi/home/2006/images/macbookhero20061107.jpg
http://images.apple.com/fi/home/2006/images/macbooktitle20061107.jpg

I stand corrected.

irmongoose

DHUK
Jan 2, 2007, 07:21 AM
The image won't change daily - Apple use that naming convention throughout their site. They are just saying Happy New Year after 30 years of existance. Well done to them.

New 'design' iMacs in Jan/Feb 2007. I've said too much already.

mk_in_mke
Jan 2, 2007, 07:30 AM
Well here are some facts:

Pro applications:
- Shake has not seen a Major release in a long time (4.1 was the switch to Intel)
- Final Cut Pro + Studio apps have not seem major releases for a long time
So I would expect these to be the BIG tings in 2007 (NAB 2007 maybe?)

Office Applications:
- IWorks: need a major revamp to make them fully useful and useable (spreadsheet? PAges more like word?). I would expect the announcement at MWSF 2007

Hardware:
I have been using my Apple Cinema display (30") for a long time and I am not surprised by the new screen rumors. Remember that HD DVD and Blu rays are here and that they require HDMI connections.

Iphones: too many rumors for this to be a lie. So : It will be true... Question is: Will they be enough phones available RIGHT AWAY? demamnd is going to be huge (form / design / software: I expect Apple to come BIG on this one to really differentiate themselves from the crap around there).

Ipod Video: Jobs is going to announce major agreement between Apple and the Movie Industry at MWSF.

Tablet PC? Would love it and would buy one right away

cloud 9
Jan 2, 2007, 07:32 AM
even with such a nice news item some people are still rating this as 'negative'

i think some people are just frustrated and unhappy:rolleyes:

palhen
Jan 2, 2007, 07:32 AM
As everybody is making things up I'd like to add my ideas as well... :rolleyes:

First; It will be named the iPod Phone. In one or two years, there will be no iPod without a phone (except the Shuffle...), and the added name will be dropped, like the iPod Video/Photo before.

Second; It's very unlikely that they would try this without including the PC-platform. All functions will be the same on both the Mac and the PC. The iPod market is so much more than the Mac.

Third; The phone will, like today's iPods, connect to a computer through iTunes. Why iTunes? Because it's the only Apple-software on the PC-platform (I know QT, but get real!). Therefore all syncing will be made through iTunes, if they would not chose to convert iSync for the PC. Which is not very likely.

Forth; Apple and the iPod is about engineering, UI and design, not high tech. The first generation of iPod Phones will probably just be an iPod with a built in phone-function. Well built? Yes. Attractive? Yes. Good for music and phone calls? Yes! Wifi, Blue-tooth or PDA functions? Definitely not. This is a product for anybody, not tech geeks.

And fifth; The gamble, it will not include a camera. Cameras in phones are ****. Apple would not like to be connected to such things. This is not a multi-every-thing. It is an iPod with a built in phone.

The iPod Phone will be great, sexy and expensive. And I'll buy one.

Henrik

Moz4
Jan 2, 2007, 07:43 AM
New 'design' iMacs in Jan/Feb 2007. I've said too much already.
I've been wondering about that too. They've moved away from the i-prefix with the MacBook and MacBook Pro, so perhaps there'll be a new iMac called just a 'Mac' - this would also fit in with the Mac Pro and Mac Mini...?

Also, according to what people are saying, the last big hype was around a new design iMac, so - if this is a big announcement - maybe a new iMac/Mac again?

toaster_oven
Jan 2, 2007, 07:45 AM
Well here are some facts:

Pro applications:
- Shake has not seen a Major release in a long time (4.1 was the switch to Intel)

I thought shake was discontinued. could be wrong, though...

I love reading the rumor sites up until macworld... gives me something to do during the lulls at the office.

why don't they stream the keynote anymore? is it because of the strain on the servers?

-to

MacBoobsPro
Jan 2, 2007, 07:50 AM
I've been wondering about that too. They've moved away from the i-prefix with the MacBook and MacBook Pro, so perhaps there'll be a new iMac called just a 'Mac' - this would also fit in with the Mac Pro and Mac Mini...?

Also, according to what people are saying, the last big hype was around a new design iMac, so - if this is a big announcement - maybe a new iMac/Mac again?

So will iLife become 'life'? What about iWork or iTunes. Oh... wait... POD! ;)

The iMac is a consumer machine and all the i Apps are aimed at the consumer believe it or not the 'i' is a major brand for Apple. They wont drop it anytime soon.

psychofreak
Jan 2, 2007, 07:52 AM

Someone would say "I have a mac"
"which one"
"A mac"
"Which one"
This could go forever...

DHUK
Jan 2, 2007, 08:00 AM

I don't think they will rename anything - but you'll see a nice highly spec'ed black iMac. Now I've said too much.

Butthead
Jan 2, 2007, 08:01 AM
they put up: http://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/welcome2007_20070101.jpg

we all know the new OS is coming?...2006 was/is probably a bigger year: intel transition?

Agreed.

If they annouce Santa Rosa laptops, then it will be big; but I think that announcement won't happen until later in the Spring of '07.

It's just the "usual" Apple hype, nothing to get excited about. 2002 was't really all that exciting, so I don't expect this MWSF to be much more. iPhone is boring before it's even released. Video d/l's have been hyped forever it seems, but I doubt the Apple branded way, will ever be as popular as d/l'd music.

Faster, more energy efficient RAM, 45nm CPU's, more potentent GPU's that use less power, enabling longer laptop battery life, drop in price of NAND based SSD's for laptops & desktop boot drives. Lots of new hardware advances coming to fruition this year, but later in the year. All should prove to make 2007 one impressive year when coupled with latest revisions of OSX10.5 w/Apple's own core apps & 3rd party software coded to take advantage of that. But MSWF will be a snore.

Xyl
Jan 2, 2007, 08:07 AM
I don't think they will rename anything - but you'll see a nice highly spec'ed black iMac. Now I've said too much.

hrm...:eek:
-faints-

bill4588
Jan 2, 2007, 08:08 AM
maybe the "distortion" in the left corner is foreshadowing that something big is coming....cuz it kinda looks like the sun rising or something....just a thought :confused:

sbaik
Jan 2, 2007, 08:09 AM
if they were planing a new imac why did they introduce the 24" on September ?!
no imac soon..they have to wait for something new from intel a new processor or technology otherwise its pointless.

crees!
Jan 2, 2007, 08:13 AM
does anyone else notice that the apple logo in it is shiny black, just like in time machine and the same that itunes is starting to become, anyone wonder if that is going to be the new look?
Actually the Apple logo is black because light is hitting it from behind. If you stood in front of a spotlight you too would look black.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 2, 2007, 08:17 AM
maybe the "distortion" in the left corner is foreshadowing that something big is coming....cuz it kinda looks like the sun rising or something....just a thought :confused:

I'm just guessing here :rolleyes: but maybe they are trying to say its a dawn of a new era. i.e. Leopard et al?

cutemartin
Jan 2, 2007, 08:21 AM
I just got it. It came to me in a vision while I was staring at the Apple eclipse photo.

Bill Gates sells all of his Microsoft stock to Steve Jobs for $1.00

Hell, Microsoft aint worth a whole year's salary!

Machead III
Jan 2, 2007, 08:30 AM
I'm just guessing here :rolleyes: but maybe they are trying to say its a dawn of a new era. i.e. Leopard et al?

That's quite a statement in itself, considering Leopard as it stands appears to be the least significant point release of OS X since it's creation.

But I agree, I just think there has to be more to Leopard.

As for me I just want iWork 07 and some pointless, gratuitous new UI gfx in .5.

wrldwzrd89
Jan 2, 2007, 08:30 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has thought of Apple releasing computers that use MRAM. MRAM's great - it is just as fast as regular memory, if not faster, and it doesn't require constant refreshing to maintain its data. This means that it can retain data when power is removed, much like a hard drive... which in turn could enable some wild new Mac OS X features - like Instant Boot :eek:

MRAM is in active use today (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRAM).

popelife
Jan 2, 2007, 08:32 AM
Ooh, yeah, seeing as they discovered with the iPod that black is the new white... (and there's a trend of making their top-of-the range of everything black)...

An 8-core Mac Pro "Extreme". In black-anodised alumnium (with matching black Cinema Displays?)

Or perhaps a satin or glossy black finish, so it looks more Darth Vader, and less like a big black heatsink :)

tiuccia
Jan 2, 2007, 08:33 AM
I joined MacRumors five minutes ago. I've kept an idle eye on MacRumors for a few years now, reading insightful thoughtful posts and threads with interest, wondering why some choose to use these forums as a means to wage semantic battles with other members, getting caught up in the hype before each new Stevenote, and wondering when the next big Apple initiated iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store cultural shift might happen.

After reading the title of this thread and seeing Apple's new homepage, I really think it's coming soon.

By cultural shift I mean something truly innovative and habit changing. Put simply, my life is different now than it was before I downloaded iTunes in 2002 and bought my first iPod in 2003. Music has always been a huge part of my life, but now I can take it all with me and access it from pretty much anywhere at anytime. I even have a solar-powered iPod charger for God's sakes.

I don't think the same can be said for many other recent products/technologies. Digital photography let me cheaply take and edit 200 pictures of baby pandas in Sichuan, China last week, DVDs did away with forget-to-rewind fees, smaller cellphones made them easier to lose, 802.11g lets me email from the couch, HDTV gets me a little too familiar with Lebron's pores, YouTube lets me watch Mentos-in-Coke experiments, and HD-DVD and Bluray are making me relive Betamax/VHS wars. Perhaps I oversimplify, but I can't think of any other innovation besides the internet/email and cell phones in the 90s that has completely changed my life on a day-to-day basis. Maybe Google.

Anyway, what I think I'm getting at is that we're due for another big (really big) thing soon. With Apple's foot in the door with music (more like entire body), photos, movies, and slick my-grandmother-can-figure-it-out interfaces and software, I think 2007 really could be a big one for the folks at Infinite Loop. Why celebrate your 30th in April when your big onemorethings aren't perfect yet?

Here's to wishing Apple a very happy new year in 2007!

psychofreak
Jan 2, 2007, 08:34 AM
Ooh, yeah, seeing as they discovered with the iPod that black is the new white... (and there's a trend of making their top-of-the range of everything black)...

An 8-core Mac Pro "Extreme". In black-anodised alumnium.

(with matching black Cinema Displays?)

Macbook and nano..what else?

Zygon Gambit
Jan 2, 2007, 08:41 AM
I wonder what Apple have been thinking about doing?

With increased laptop sales, and (in proportion) declining desktop sales, I wonder if they'll look at the gap between these two types. What I imagine most people would like is a machine with the power and screen of a desktop, but with the portability of a laptop. Maybe the new screens will help with this?

Whatever they do, I hope that Apple will continue to innovate with the hardware they sell.

DarkNetworks
Jan 2, 2007, 08:42 AM
Welcome to 2007, Steve is finally stepping down...

Machead III
Jan 2, 2007, 08:43 AM
I joined MacRumors five minutes ago. I've kept an idle eye on MacRumors for a few years now, reading insightful thoughtful posts and threads with interest, wondering why some choose to use these forums as a means to wage semantic battles with other members, getting caught up in the hype before each new Stevenote, and wondering when the next big Apple initiated iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store cultural shift might happen.

After reading the title of this thread and seeing Apple's new homepage, I really think it's coming soon.

By cultural shift I mean something truly innovative and habit changing. Put simply, my life is different now than it was before I downloaded iTunes in 2002 and bought my first iPod in 2003. Music has always been a huge part of my life, but now I can take it all with me and access it from pretty much anywhere at anytime. I even have a solar-powered iPod charger for God's sakes.

I don't think the same can be said for many other recent products/technologies. Digital photography let me cheaply take and edit 200 pictures of baby pandas in Sichuan, China last week, DVDs did away with forget-to-rewind fees, smaller cellphones made them easier to lose, 802.11g lets me email from the couch, HDTV gets me a little too familiar with Lebron's pores, YouTube lets me watch Mentos-in-Coke experiments, and HD-DVD and Bluray are making me relive Betamax/VHS wars. Perhaps I oversimplify, but I can't think of any other innovation besides the internet/email and cell phones in the 90s that has completely changed my life on a day-to-day basis. Maybe Google.

Anyway, what I think I'm getting at is that we're due for another big (really big) thing soon. With Apple's foot in the door with music (more like entire body), photos, movies, and slick my-grandmother-can-figure-it-out interfaces and software, I think 2007 really could be a big one for the folks at Infinite Loop. Why celebrate your 30th in April when your big onemorethings aren't perfect yet?

What about wikipedia?

First there was the wheel, then there was antibiotics, then there was wikipedia.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 2, 2007, 08:45 AM
Welcome to 2007, Steve is finally stepping down...

He already did once....

What about wikipedia?

First there was the wheel, then there was antibiotics, then there was wikipedia.

That sort of falls under the whole "internet" thing. Having access to all sorts of information at your fingertips is a huge change. I'm 42, and had to write papers in school by doing research by finding books in the library and reading through them. You don't need to do that today - and its just not wikipedia :D

D

DarkNetworks
Jan 2, 2007, 08:47 AM
Forget MW, I want a Shuffle now....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/darknetworks/new01.jpg

Compile 'em all
Jan 2, 2007, 08:48 AM
Bad taste joke

Agreed. I can't think of one thing Apple would gain from such a merger other than making use of some of the slick features in Solaris 10.

balamw
Jan 2, 2007, 08:49 AM
Forget MW, I want a Shuffle now....
They're readily available here. Where are you that they're not?

B

MacQuest
Jan 2, 2007, 08:52 AM

Well said, and a big, happy "Welcome" to you "tiuccia". :)

mo0805
Jan 2, 2007, 08:53 AM
it may just be me, but i don't really count 'The First 30 years were just the beginning... Welcome to 2007' as a pre-Macworld teaser. just a thought.

MacinDoc
Jan 2, 2007, 08:54 AM
Actually, as others have already suggested, the back lighting and distortion of the Apple logo have an appearance reminiscent of a solar eclipse, so Apple appears to be suggesting that what Apple is planning for 2007 will eclipse everything it has done in its previous 30 years.

Of course, having watched Apple hype for many years, I am becoming immune to it. And I agree that this does not necessarily suggest that anything significant will be introduced at MWSF.

So what are my predictions for MWSF?

1. iTV details/specs, to be released by March. Alongside iTV will be non-Disney movies at the iTunes store and support for pre-N wireless in the current MacBooks and MBPs. All other Macs to be updated to include pre-N by March.

2. New displays, likely with integrated iSight.

3. "Secret" features of OS X 10.5 revealed. To be released in the first half of 2007 (actual release date to be in June, but Apple will not announce this until April).

4. iWork '07 with spreadsheet app.

5. iLife '07 will not be introduced until the Apple phone arrives, since features of the phone will be supported in iLife. Furthermore, no phone at MWSF; look for it in May instead.

balamw
Jan 2, 2007, 08:56 AM
it may just be me, but i don't really count 'The First 30 years were just the beginning... Welcome to 2007' as a pre-Macworld teaser. just a thought.

I agree, while some things may get previewed at MWSF, I think the implication here is that there will be more stuff throughout the year. e.g. the Phone which I understand is expected in the Feb/March time frame.

B

DarkNetworks
Jan 2, 2007, 09:00 AM
5. iLife '07 will not be introduced until the Apple phone arrives, since features of the phone will be supported in iLife. Furthermore, no phone at MWSF; look for it in May instead.

iLife '07 WILL be released in MW. There'll never be iPhone for God's sake, at least not in 2007.

psychofreak
Jan 2, 2007, 09:02 AM
There'll never be iPhone for God's sake, at least not in 2007.

Why not?

It is quite a logical step.

dernhelm
Jan 2, 2007, 09:03 AM

I took it to be backlit, nothing more. But I think I like the shiny black anyway, so if that's whats to come, who am I to argue? :cool:

Mr. Anderson
Jan 2, 2007, 09:04 AM
iLife '07 WILL be released in MW. There'll never be iPhone for God's sake, at least not in 2007.

So how exactly do you know this for a fact?

D

mark88
Jan 2, 2007, 09:05 AM

ditto, isn't it just a happy new year message?

Hertog
Jan 2, 2007, 09:09 AM
In spite of things people here say from time to time, Steve Jobs is only human. So he, too, will probably use the internet from time to time. Since people often visit sites related to work or hobby, he will probably come across this site, and this thread, sooner or later.

And laughing his iAss off. I mean, look at this thread. Look at all the speculation. Look at the people analyzing the light rays and black logos. Look at all the people actually expecting to be disappointed because a lot of stuff never even mentioned by anyone from Apple will not be released. Look at the 10 pages worth of posts within half a day. All because a small image with a new year's greeting appeared on a website.

Well, Steve, enjoy your laugh. You've deserved it. That's what you get for making products so 'cool' people go 'Hmm, new iMac, $1999. Oh well, who needs food?' Give us a nice show on the 9th, about half of the rumoured products and one more thing no-one saw coming, and we all will remain loyal followers for the next thirthy years. Welcome to 2037.

Hertog
Jan 2, 2007, 09:10 AM
It doesn't matter whether you love or hate Apple's products, you just have to respect their marketing department. ;)

miketcool
Jan 2, 2007, 09:11 AM

The reference is there, but surely you don't mean forboding? If this were M$ an image like that might be forboding, but this is Apple. It is more of a statement for the ressurection from the ashes.
2007 is the year Apple changes the landscape in a very powerful way. Apple is back, fighting in the ring again. Not just makers of music players, but true software and hardware contenders for the decades to come. I see Apple marketing pulling out all the stops, this baby is gonna roll. Thanks to Zune, Xbox, Media Center and more to come; the fight is on. Prepare to watch a battle of the titans, grappling giants in the age old rivalry.

joshwest
Jan 2, 2007, 09:11 AM
I really do belive now there will be a 30" iMac, and a revised design to the iMac looking similiar to the new ACD's. Every MacWorld they do something to the iMac

marcelo002
Jan 2, 2007, 09:24 AM
Sigh, one of my new year's resolutions was to stop reading every single post on rumor forums. I lasted about 30 hours, but only because I was in airports all day yesterday...

Anyways, I'll comment on the Apple.com main site picture, since that is what this thread is about (naturally it evolves into what's coming out next week). While it's definitely what can be considered a teaser, I don't think its necessarily a teaser for MacWorld. First off, it doesn't mention MacWorld at all in the picture, whereas that previous teaser in 2002 (or 2003) that someone posted earlier did.

For me, that signifies a few things. First off, a lot of things will be released this year ( Leopard, 8 core mac, iTV for sure, phone and new interface and revamped iMacs possibly). However, it also means that none of it will be released at MacWorld.

My hope, however, is that they will be announced at MacWorld, but with a scheduled release of later. That seems to be the trend with Apple lately, of announcing products, but just not having them ready yet (new shuffles come to mind and to a greater extent the iTV).

By downplaying the Macworld expo, and instead focusing on the year as a whole, I'll predict that Macworld will be a demonstrations of great things to come, but I doubt if anyone will have a large (or larger) credit card debt the day after.

-Marcelo002

Evangelion
Jan 2, 2007, 09:25 AM
Whats that all about?

Well, it _might_ be due to the new year and all...

SiliconAddict
Jan 2, 2007, 09:32 AM

Apple releasing something new at MWSF? OMG! I'm shocked! SHOCKED I SAY, SHOCKED! :p

reb
Jan 2, 2007, 09:34 AM
In anticipation of Steve's keynote, it's time limit should keep expectations reasonable. Apple's looking forward to the all of 2007; but they remember 2003's reaction too. Normal keynotes are now 2 hours; but Macworld NY was 4 hours one year when there were more "one more things". 2 hours, with the normal updates and reviews of 2006 plus a guest demo and OS X, leaves enough for one or two genuinely new announcements.

Should we learn that the keynote length is more than 2 hours, it might be a blockbuster expo. Bring it on!

gkarris
Jan 2, 2007, 09:39 AM

You mean "squirted"...