Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I'm in an endless pursuit of punctuation perfection. So if someone would like to critique my posts, please do so. I think it says in the forum rules somewhere that were not suppose to comment on each other's punctuation or spelling errors, but I'm letting you all know right now: please tell me, I want to know. As psychotic as it may sound to you, I actually enjoy making a game out of punctuation. :)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I'm in an endless pursuit of punctuation perfection. So if someone would like to critique my posts, please do so. I think it says in the forum rules somewhere that were not suppose to comment on each other's punctuation or spelling errors, but I'm letting you all know right now: please tell me, I want to know. As psychotic as it may sound to you, I actually enjoy making a game out of punctuation. :)

oh hey! me too! by all mean correct me. :) (although i will probably make many more mistakes than you do.)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
man, ewe muts be as board as; me write now
faceng9.gif

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
oh hey! me too! by all mean correct me. :) (although i will probably make many more mistakes than you do.)

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out when to use a full colon and when to use a semicolon. I think semicolons are really cool; yeah... I know I'm weird. :eek:

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I think it says in the forum rules somewhere that were not suppose to comment on each other's punctuation or spelling errors

"we're" "supposed" ;)

And that's an idiotic rule. In my opinion, people who can't write well enough to convey whatever the hell they're talking about deserve whatever ridicule they get. If English isn't your first language, fine. I respect anyone who can express themselves in a second language. Conversely, I'm immensely irritated by anyone who can't express themselves in even one language.... not to mention the rather charming correlation of this trait with the "total and complete dumbass" trait that results in a general erosion of all that is good and holy.

I'm not talking about sincere errors or typos. I mean people who willingly and consistently use wretched grammar, punctuation, and/or spelling. I'm not perfect... but I will cheerfully attempt to eviscerate (politely and subtly, since I got banned a week or two ago for mentioning how silly another member's mother looked before I shaved her back) any idiot I come across ;)

Please. Speak with dignity.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out when to use a full colon and when to use a semicolon. I think semicolons are really cool; yeah... I know I'm weird. :eek:
1. I agree with your first post and will correct you if I see something in your post, please do the same for me except for my occasional failure to use capitals, which is limited to postings on web forums. I agree that it is fun as well... word of the day?

2. so i was excited and then saw your last post. I am busy working on a memo, so maybe I missed it, but was your question over the difference between a semicolon and a colon a joke?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
linguo.jpg

In all seriousness, I think the rule should be stuck by. I can see threads veering off topic worse than they do now.

A post asking "How doo I fix my computer. she broke" could devolve into a thread about grammar.

If you really want help, pick up a copy of Strunk and White. :)

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005

Hard and fast rule on semicolons:

He is a cad, a bounder, and a boor.

He is a cad; he is a bounder and a boor.

He is: a cad, and a shameless cad at that; a bounder, and a bounding bounder at that; and a boor, and a boorish boor at that.

So you can use it either as a more-emphatic comma or a less-emphatic period. Kurt Vonnegut says that they are pretentious and shouldn't be used. Kurt can go @#$% himself. I think they're fantastic at filling the space between commas and periods.

I'm a writer (as in, novelist), so I generally use punctuation and grammar based on how it makes me feel -- even if it's a comma splice or some other mutation that wouldn't be acceptable in a formal essay. And as you might have noticed, I'm deeply enamoured of the "--", the ellipsis, and colons and semicolons. I also use "more" when my mother (an English teacher) says I should use "most" -- for instance, "She was among the more buxom of the girls on my block." Since I'm comparing at least three girls, my mom says I should use "most," but I view it as comparing two groups of girls -- the more buxom and the less buxom. So this girl's boobs are in the top half, roughly, but not in the top 10%.

So anyway, I'm not a prescriptivist. I just want people to make friggin' sense. If I can understand what you're saying well enough to correct you, then I won't say anything. If I can't even understand you that well, that's when I get angry.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
1. I agree with your first post and will correct you if I see something in your post, please do the same for me; except for my occasional failure to use capitals, which is limited to postings on web forums. I agree that it is fun as well... word of the day?

2. So I was excited and then saw your last post. I am busy working on a memo, so maybe I missed it, but was your question over the difference between a semicolon and a colon a joke?

No, I was being serious about the colon and semi colons. :)

Someone please go and correct my corrections. :)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Full colons require emptying before a colonoscopy. Semicolons require the aid of Sigmund and neither take as long, nor go as far.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1. I agree with your first post and will correct you if I see something in your post. Please do the same for me, except for my occasional failure to use capitals, which is limited to postings on web forums. I agree that it is fun as well. Word of the day?

2. So I was excited and then saw your last post. I was busy working on a memo, so maybe I missed it. But was your question over the difference between a semicolon and a colon a joke?

No, I was being serious about the colon and semi colons. :)

Someone please go and correct my corrections. :)

here are my corrections :O

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
View attachment 65350

In all seriousness, I think the rule should be stuck by. I can see threads veering off topic worse than they do now.

A post asking: "How do I fix my computer, she's broke?" could devolve into a thread about grammar.

If you really want help, pick up a copy of Strunk and White. :)

I think that's the way it's supposed to be; I'm not sure though.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
"How do I fix my computer, she's broke?"

I think that's the way it's supposed to be; I'm not sure though.

It's actually a comma splice. The two statements should be in separate sentences... or they could be separated by a semicolon :)

"How do I fix my computer? She's broke."

And don't put a colon before that. Bad MACDRIVE. Bad.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
She's broken. Broke is an adjective used informally to refer to a lack of cash.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
She's broken. Broke is an adjective used informally to refer to a lack of cash.

Hahaha... holy **** :p

Another one I've done like that a couple times is "I'm finished" when I meant "I'm done."

I blame it on that quote being retarded to begin with. We know the damn computer's broken if it needs to be fixed.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
^
Really? I've seen it both ways and never could figure out which way is which, but now I know. Thanks. :)

when in a sentence, it is "Thank you."

on a poster or something, it's Thank You... i think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.