PDA

View Full Version : MS to get fined 2 trillion dollars by the US Government??

vniow
May 9, 2003, 10:53 AM
Wow.

Microsoft's latest security lapse with its Passport information service could trigger a $2.2 trillion fine on the company courtesy of the US government.

Microsoft on Thursday admitted that a flaw in the password reset tool of its Passport service could compromise the information stored on all 200 million users. It scampered to post a fix and is looking into potential exploits, but the damage to Microsoft may already have been done.

The Federal Trade Commission last year demanded that Microsoft improve its Passport security or face stiff fines of up to $11,000 per violation. Redmond promised to work harder to protect consumer information and launched it's Trustworthy Computing initiative to put regulators' minds at ease.

Well, the FTC is looking into the Passport breach and could slap Microsoft with a fine of $2.2 trillion to cover all 200 million violated users.

http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/30620.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=251718

WinterMute
May 9, 2003, 11:13 AM
RAOTFLMFAO

Don't you just love psychosoft, you'd think they'd have figured out this security buisness by now wouldn't you.

They'll just pass it to a tame judge as usual and end up paying a few grand.

jethroted
May 9, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by vniow
Wow.

http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/30620.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=251718

Oh man! I wish something like this would happen. Stuff like this has a way of getting settled behind closed doors with no one around. It's like when Martha Struart was gonna get nailed. I was like "Yeah! She is done for!", but then she got away with it. M$ probably will too.

patrick0brien
May 9, 2003, 11:55 AM
-All

I've thought for years that Microsoft is analogous with a locomotive that is accelerating faster and faster toward an impregnable wall.

Each transgression gets more attention than the last and eventually one will be that wall. Personally, I thought the "Adventure in Antitrust" would be that wall, well, boy was I wrong. But I do feel it did move that wall closer.

I wonder if this could be it? Or is it just another bumpy weld in the tracks...

edesignuk
May 9, 2003, 12:00 PM
LMAO! Hahahahahahahahahahaha! That's soooooooooo funny! $2.2 trillion! :eek: OUCH!

davy the bunny
May 9, 2003, 12:42 PM
heh, yeah that's great, two words you thought you'd never see in the same sentence "bankrupt" and "Microsoft", heh.

iGav
May 9, 2003, 12:54 PM
Yeah.... of course they are going to be fined 2 trillion $ :rolleyes:

davy the bunny
May 9, 2003, 01:20 PM
We know, why must you trounce upon our happiness?

edesignuk
May 9, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
hehe, I know, I know...but one can dream :D

iGav
May 9, 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
hehe, I know, I know...but one can dream :D

heh-heh... maybe we should all change careers.... like to Judges.... ;) :p :D

And we have more than enough around for a biased Jury too!! :D

Ace....

chewbaccapits
May 9, 2003, 03:35 PM
Great fine...Made my day. But imagine if they DID have to pay...Would that spell end of microsoft? (would never happen though..)

edesignuk
May 9, 2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
But imagine if they DID have to pay...Would that spell end of microsoft?
Yes! That kinda fine could spell the end of governments! :eek:

pseudobrit
May 9, 2003, 04:11 PM
MS would buy an aircraft carrier, a few nukes and secede Redmond from the Union before parting with $2.2T

Remus
May 9, 2003, 04:34 PM
I thought Redmond was already it's own country... :D Look at what they have gotten away with.

G4scott
May 9, 2003, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if MS already had nukes...

It'd be great if they were fined that much, but they probably won't...

cc bcc
May 9, 2003, 05:48 PM
It would be nice if all of us who have a PassPort gets $11.000 :D

****e, they won't be able to find me, I lied about my address when signing up. :eek:

XnavxeMiyyep
May 9, 2003, 09:30 PM
If Microsoft were to be destroyed, then what do you think would happen? Would Apple soon have 95% of the computer market? If that happened, what would happen to Intel and the x86 architecture?

uhlawboi80
May 9, 2003, 09:52 PM
HAHA. microsuck will never actually get fined 2.2 trillion....though that would take care of one hell of a big chunk of the national deficit.

all the same, M$ doesnt HAVE 2.2 trillion, and typically these regulations have clauses that prevent them from running a company under or even damaging them beyond a basic punitive measure. But they should get a hefty fine for it anyway :D

mac15
May 10, 2003, 04:21 AM
ahahahahahahahaha! ahahahahahahaaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahhhhahahahaha..............................deep breath..........hahahahahahahahahaha!

patrick0brien
May 10, 2003, 10:12 AM
-mac15

Easy now. Breathe. Oxygen is good. Need a paper bag? Stay away from the light!

iMook
May 10, 2003, 11:24 AM
Sorry to burst all those bubbles of elated glee, but w/o Microsoft, Apple will have no reason to innovate, and no, I don't think Apple will just keep innovating as hard it is now w/o Microsoft the Juggernaut chomping at its heels. Also, the downfall would ruin a whole f---load of other mega-blue-chip companies (Intel, AMD, every gaming company in existence) since they'd lose a MASSIVE chunk of their consumer base w/o Windows

XnavxeMiyyep
May 10, 2003, 11:35 AM
-iMook
I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with some of your points. If Apple had no competitors, they would make more money. If they had more money, they could make stronger machines, and have cheaper prices. Just my opinion.

mymemory
May 10, 2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by iGAV

That reminds me Dr Evil asking for a "trillion of a trillion of a trillion dollars" and then he show the video of the White House exploting in Independence Day:D