PDA

View Full Version : OS X the preferred platform of Alpha Geeks: more evidence

lmalave
May 9, 2003, 03:36 PM
http://www.apple.com/pro/science/gosling/

Count Java creator James Gosling among the converted:

I do most of my engineering on my PowerBook, James Gosling states flatly. I find it dramatically more efficient than a desktop system because, on one hand, it has all the power of a full-blown UNIX desktop. On the other hand, I can take it with me because it has all of the laptop stuff. I can work on a airplane, at home, in a corner when Im sitting in a boring meeting. And its able to do not just email and browsing, its got fully-functional, high-end software development tools.

Gosling and his development team, he says, almost all have PowerBooks. Its amazing how many of them are showing up these days. Theyve been really popular at work. A certain amount of their appeal is little things. I do a lot of public speaking and the PowerBook automatically does the right stuff when I plug it into a projector. Also the PowerBook is the first machine that Ive seen where the lid mechanism on the laptop actually works. You can close the lid and open it again and its still running. Seems like a small thing, but it truly works.

patrick0brien
May 9, 2003, 03:40 PM
-Woo Hoo!

Now maybe we can get a faster runtime.

Correction: Really faster runtime.

mac15
May 9, 2003, 07:51 PM
X rules, Apple rules, Steves rules

lmalave
May 9, 2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mac15
X rules, Apple rules, Steves rules

And Java Rules!!!

maradong
May 10, 2003, 02:57 AM
what about ppc ?
ppc rulz :)

RandomDeadHead
May 10, 2003, 03:32 AM
i hope the 970 rules!:cool:

MrMacMan
May 10, 2003, 11:45 PM
yeah okay, everything rules...

Now maybe they can make everything java not suck?

In windows java takes no time to load, but for a java built app in safari a good 3-5 sec...
bad bad bad...

Jaykay
May 11, 2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by RandomDeadHead
i hope the 970 rules!:cool:

The 970 is PPC.
And yes it will rule....

drastik
May 11, 2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
yeah okay, everything rules...

Now maybe they can make everything java not suck?

In windows java takes no time to load, but for a java built app in safari a good 3-5 sec...
bad bad bad...

I don't know, I run Cold Fusion on J2ee on my pismo 400 g3. it takes awhile to start the servers up, but then it works fine.

MrMacMan
May 11, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by drastik
I don't know, I run Cold Fusion on J2ee on my pismo 400 g3. it takes awhile to start the servers up, but then it works fine.

On web pages, it loads and loads and loads...

And ofcoarse right after I give up and close the page the java applet loads.
arrgg!

skunk
May 12, 2003, 02:53 AM
Queensberry Rules :p