PDA

View Full Version : My shift key just fell off..... (17" Powerbook)


joshuajestelle
May 9, 2003, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been thoroughly enjoying my new 17" Powerbook, but the stragest thing happened today.

After using it for almost a month now, I went and pressed the shift key, and it popped off. It doesn't seem damaged. I just seemed to fall off.

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get it back on.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this or where I should look for information on this?

Thanks,
Josh

Mblazened
May 9, 2003, 05:21 PM
probably just pops right back on

mbustamante
May 9, 2003, 05:29 PM
Our school has 12" iBook labs and our teachers always complain about how slow they are and how the keys always fall off. On the iBook, if you place it on the small loop and allign the hole corectly, it just pops on with a small bit of force.

baby duck monge
May 9, 2003, 05:58 PM
how do things look under the keys? i am interested in how much of the backlighting you can see with the keys off.

evoluzione
May 9, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by baby duck monge
how do things look under the keys? i am interested in how much of the backlighting you can see with the keys off.


heh, funny you should mention the backlighting, i've just installed a couple of 17s in the office and everyone is going nuts over the backlighting. so easy to please us apple people eh?

you can probably see quite a bit of light, there's a fair bit of light eminating from between the keys too.

baby duck monge
May 9, 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by evoluzione
heh, funny you should mention the backlighting, i've just installed a couple of 17s in the office and everyone is going nuts over the backlighting. so easy to please us apple people eh?

you can probably see quite a bit of light, there's a fair bit of light eminating from between the keys too.

that's so nice. i have only seen a few 17"ers, but never when it was dark. maybe someday i can actually see what it looks out.

dflett
May 11, 2003, 06:52 AM
The keys do just push back on - you may have to twist it (very slightly and carefully) to get it to click back in. But if it happens repeatedly one of the shoehorn shaped bits of plastic may be slightly cracked. My 'm' was and kept dropping off. Taking it back to the shop was not an option so I put a drop of superglue on the cracked area and pushed it back on to the keyboard. Not had any problems with it since - this fix worked perfectly for me.

phantommaul
May 11, 2003, 09:34 AM
its just bad luck pal sorry to hear that.
try to pop it back in if not u know what to do send it to apple :)

they still are the best...
noone can blame apple for a dropping button.

celaurie
May 11, 2003, 09:49 AM
They do pop back on quite easily.

However I do have a broken '9' key on my iBook. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Chris

joshuajestelle
May 11, 2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to pop it back on. I just had to give it a little more force that I had initially tried.

It was neat to look at the backlighting with the key off. It appears that the entire area behind the keyboard lights up, and then the light just shines through the keys, and around the edges. Cool.

Josh

celaurie
May 12, 2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by joshuajestelle
Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to pop it back on. I just had to give it a little more force that I had initially tried.

It was neat to look at the backlighting with the key off. It appears that the entire area behind the keyboard lights up, and then the light just shines through the keys, and around the edges. Cool.

Josh

Dufus! Imagine not knowing how hard to push. :P

Glad to hear you got things back to 'normal'!

Chris

caveman_uk
May 12, 2003, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by celaurie
They do pop back on quite easily.

However I do have a broken '9' key on my iBook. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Chris
I broke the 'R' off of my iBook. Mine was still under warranty so I rang Apple Support and they sent me a new keyboard. Are you under warranty or have Applecare?

celaurie
May 12, 2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
I broke the 'R' off of my iBook. Mine was still under warranty so I rang Apple Support and they sent me a new keyboard. Are you under warranty or have Applecare?

Sadly neither apply. :(

Applecare is so expensive... And I'm so skint.

yzedf
May 12, 2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by celaurie
Sadly neither apply. :(

Applecare is so expensive... And I'm so skint.
Not sure about international shipping...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=ibook+keyboard

willmore
May 12, 2003, 09:54 PM
You are not alone on this issue. I have had my 17" for 2 weeks, and the "N" key constantly falls off, to the point where I can get to fall off on command. As soon as I have some time I will be going to the Apple Store to ask for a new keyboard (or should I ask them over the phone)? Either way, it's the only flaw so far in this beautiful piece of machinery.

celaurie
May 13, 2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by willmore
You are not alone on this issue. I have had my 17" for 2 weeks, and the "N" key constantly falls off, to the point where I can get to fall off on command. As soon as I have some time I will be going to the Apple Store to ask for a new keyboard (or should I ask them over the phone)? Either way, it's the only flaw so far in this beautiful piece of machinery.

Seen as you have a new Mac, and assuming you have a proof of purchase then I would nip into the local Apple Store (if you have one) and ask them to replace/advise on the best course of action. Failing that, call Apple up... ;)

Lots of ifs n' buts there... Hrm.