Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I'm in the market for a mac mini. I was wondering if there are going to be any major upgrades in the next 2 months or should I go ahead and buy it now?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
wait

With macworld sf only days away I think waiting is a good idea. Even if they do not upgrade the mini (possible) you can see where Apple is going.

Of course if they do upgrade the mini in a major way you will likely have to wait for it to hit stores.

Aren't holding patterns fun?

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
Hey if they drastically improve their line up were in it together matey as my imac 24 is on its way as we browse... If they seriousely update it I will send it back....

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
On the other hand, by ancient tradition, every Macworld requires a few posts such as yours and at least one post from someone who bought the day before Macworld and is outraged (OUTRAGED!) that Apple would then release new equipment. So, if you want to take a shot at being both...

Unless there is some reason that demands you buy today, wait. I do not think it is just coincidence that the iTV has exactly the same form factor as the mini. May you be content in your choices.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
You'd be silly not to wait just 5 days more. They're pretty much guaranteed to upgrade them to C2D... A

Minis with upgraded processors are coming out in MWSF

Correct me if I'm wrong but no major sites have said anything about the Mac mini getting a MWSF update, so the only thing to back up these claims are educated guesses. Not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't be too sure about it.

P.S. Yeah wait, it may happen it may not.

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Makes Sense. I know Apple maintains their price points so if they do come out with something new, it would be the same price.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
You have to hold out till macworld it would be silly not to. Even if the mac mini doesnt get a update wouldnt you also get iLife 07 instead of iLife 06?

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
I spoke to them on the phone this morning (GMT) in an effort to sweet talk them into sending me a copy of iLife 07 as my Imac will arrive on wednesday. Whilst they would not confirm that iLife 07 is even comming out on monday, they told me to phone back then. I think the treat of cancelling my order was enough to shock them into offering it for free.

We'll see whether I get totally duped with an update to the iMac, if so, the order will just get cancelled and I will order the updated version.

Mxsix

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
I almost hope Apple doesn't up their Mini's because I just bought one. :(

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I spoke to them on the phone this morning (GMT) in an effort to sweet talk them into sending me a copy of iLife 07 as my Imac will arrive on wednesday. Whilst they would not confirm that iLife 07 is even comming out on monday, they told me to phone back then. I think the treat of cancelling my order was enough to shock them into offering it for free.

We'll see whether I get totally duped with an update to the iMac, if so, the order will just get cancelled and I will order the updated version.

Your lack of purchase will not shock anybody (who do you think you are fooling), its a drop in the ocean with regard to sales, however I like your optimism, you're gonna need it.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I almost hope Apple doesn't up their Mini's because I just bought one. :(

I am however, hoping the opposite is true because I want to buy one. Considering I'm in the UK as well. We're over due a price drop what with the weak dollar... I say this while being able to make a Higher Education purchase.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm in the market for a mac mini. I was wondering if there are going to be any major upgrades in the next 2 months or should I go ahead and buy it now?

Yeah more like the next 2 days there will be an upgrade, so just sit tight because it will be well worth it.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
If the Minis do get the C2D upgrade, I may just buy one for my parents. I don't want them using Windoze anymore :cool:

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Not sold on the Mini getting an update Tuesday :D

I would expect it to go Core 2 Duo in time for Leopard, but the best WAG says we are looking at April for that.

Tricky time for Apple - got to find a way to keep people buying between now and the release of Leopard. One good theory is that the prices across the range could be reduced. The Mini and MacBook could cerainly used a £50 price drop to keep them attractive in the face of the post-Xmas prices of Wintel systems - Laptops for as low as £200! (no where near as good as a MacBook sure - but with those kind of price differences people are going to think twice about switching).

We are fast approaching the "don't buy until Leopard" point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.