PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Mac Mini now or wait for Apple show?




UrsaMajor
Jan 4, 2007, 05:26 AM
I'm in the market for a mac mini. I was wondering if there are going to be any major upgrades in the next 2 months or should I go ahead and buy it now?



psychofreak
Jan 4, 2007, 05:30 AM
In 5 days, apple could release the new C2D mac mini at MWSF.

G5isAlive
Jan 4, 2007, 06:33 AM
With macworld sf only days away I think waiting is a good idea. Even if they do not upgrade the mini (possible) you can see where Apple is going.

Of course if they do upgrade the mini in a major way you will likely have to wait for it to hit stores.

Aren't holding patterns fun?

Tarkovsky
Jan 4, 2007, 06:43 AM
Hey if they drastically improve their line up were in it together matey as my imac 24 is on its way as we browse... If they seriousely update it I will send it back....

SpaceMagic
Jan 4, 2007, 06:44 AM
You'd be silly not to wait just 5 days more. They're pretty much guaranteed to upgrade them to C2D... A

Compile 'em all
Jan 4, 2007, 06:50 AM
Minis with upgraded processors are coming out in MWSF

emptyCup
Jan 4, 2007, 07:01 AM
On the other hand, by ancient tradition, every Macworld requires a few posts such as yours and at least one post from someone who bought the day before Macworld and is outraged (OUTRAGED!) that Apple would then release new equipment. So, if you want to take a shot at being both...

Unless there is some reason that demands you buy today, wait. I do not think it is just coincidence that the iTV has exactly the same form factor as the mini. May you be content in your choices.

ziwi
Jan 4, 2007, 07:32 AM
Less than a week - absolutely wait to see - just in case.

psychofreak
Jan 4, 2007, 07:36 AM
I do not think it is just coincidence that the iTV has exactly the same form factor as the mini. May you be content in your choices.

It isn't; it has the same footprint, but is not as tall.

BlizzardBomb
Jan 4, 2007, 07:38 AM
You'd be silly not to wait just 5 days more. They're pretty much guaranteed to upgrade them to C2D... A

Minis with upgraded processors are coming out in MWSF

Correct me if I'm wrong but no major sites have said anything about the Mac mini getting a MWSF update, so the only thing to back up these claims are educated guesses. Not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't be too sure about it.

P.S. Yeah wait, it may happen it may not.

UrsaMajor
Jan 5, 2007, 05:07 AM
Makes Sense. I know Apple maintains their price points so if they do come out with something new, it would be the same price.

vendettabass
Jan 5, 2007, 05:44 AM
I think they should definately do something after MWSF about the Mini, at least a silent update!

1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo
2.00Ghz Core 2 Duo's
please! And ditch the combo drives :-)

Father Jack
Jan 5, 2007, 06:08 AM
Definitely hold on :cool:



FJ

BornAgainMac
Jan 5, 2007, 06:09 AM
Introducing new Mini. Now in 5 delicious colors.

Father Jack
Jan 5, 2007, 06:11 AM
Introducing new Mini. Now in 5 delicious colors.

Many a true word .........

FJ

MacDonaldsd
Jan 5, 2007, 06:38 AM
You have to hold out till macworld it would be silly not to. Even if the mac mini doesnt get a update wouldnt you also get iLife 07 instead of iLife 06?

Tarkovsky
Jan 5, 2007, 06:53 AM
I spoke to them on the phone this morning (GMT) in an effort to sweet talk them into sending me a copy of iLife 07 as my Imac will arrive on wednesday. Whilst they would not confirm that iLife 07 is even comming out on monday, they told me to phone back then. I think the treat of cancelling my order was enough to shock them into offering it for free.

We'll see whether I get totally duped with an update to the iMac, if so, the order will just get cancelled and I will order the updated version.

Mxsix
Jan 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
I almost hope Apple doesn't up their Mini's because I just bought one. :(

CrackedButter
Jan 6, 2007, 07:15 AM
I spoke to them on the phone this morning (GMT) in an effort to sweet talk them into sending me a copy of iLife 07 as my Imac will arrive on wednesday. Whilst they would not confirm that iLife 07 is even comming out on monday, they told me to phone back then. I think the treat of cancelling my order was enough to shock them into offering it for free.

We'll see whether I get totally duped with an update to the iMac, if so, the order will just get cancelled and I will order the updated version.

Your lack of purchase will not shock anybody (who do you think you are fooling), its a drop in the ocean with regard to sales, however I like your optimism, you're gonna need it.

CrackedButter
Jan 6, 2007, 07:18 AM
I almost hope Apple doesn't up their Mini's because I just bought one. :(

I am however, hoping the opposite is true because I want to buy one. Considering I'm in the UK as well. We're over due a price drop what with the weak dollar... I say this while being able to make a Higher Education purchase.

skunk
Jan 6, 2007, 07:20 AM
The only bit of iLife which affects me at all is iPhoto, since iTunes gets upgraded freely, and I don't use iMovie, iDVD or iWeb.

Zwhaler
Jan 6, 2007, 02:03 PM
I'm in the market for a mac mini. I was wondering if there are going to be any major upgrades in the next 2 months or should I go ahead and buy it now?

Yeah more like the next 2 days there will be an upgrade, so just sit tight because it will be well worth it.

CmdrLaForge
Jan 6, 2007, 02:09 PM
It's obvious to wait for MWSF. Even if the mini is not updated you get iLife 07

phungy
Jan 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
If the Minis do get the C2D upgrade, I may just buy one for my parents. I don't want them using Windoze anymore :cool:

MacsAttack
Jan 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
Not sold on the Mini getting an update Tuesday :D

I would expect it to go Core 2 Duo in time for Leopard, but the best WAG says we are looking at April for that.

Tricky time for Apple - got to find a way to keep people buying between now and the release of Leopard. One good theory is that the prices across the range could be reduced. The Mini and MacBook could cerainly used a 50 price drop to keep them attractive in the face of the post-Xmas prices of Wintel systems - Laptops for as low as 200! (no where near as good as a MacBook sure - but with those kind of price differences people are going to think twice about switching).

We are fast approaching the "don't buy until Leopard" point.

JD92
Jan 6, 2007, 06:22 PM
I would be incredibly surprised if Apple DIDN'T announce an updated Mac Mini.

I think their only reason for not updating the Mac Mini would be to differentiate it even further from the iMac by giving it a slower CPU and no 64 bit support.

Alasta
Jan 6, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm planning on buying a Mac Mini myself, but I will keep my wallet in my pocket until after the keynote next week. When new products are announced it usually takes at least a month for them to become available here in New Zealand so I may not necessarily buy the new model if it's a minor update, but waiting until after MWSF will ensure that I can make an educated purchasing decision.

As to the likelihood of them actually being updated, my guess is as good as anyone's, but I'm thinking that it is reasonably likely but definitely not certain.

aaronw1986
Jan 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
omg people, enough with these threads. MWSF is 3 days away, not even. Just wait till then.

OttawaGuy
Jan 6, 2007, 07:00 PM
omg people, enough with these threads. MWSF is 3 days away, not even. Just wait till then.

What's the point of being on a rumors forum if you can't speculate?

maxrobertson
Jan 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
You might as well wait, it's only a few days :).

belovedmonster
Jan 6, 2007, 07:18 PM
We are fast approaching the "don't buy until Leopard" point.

What makes you think they wont introduce Leopard next week? That would be one hell of a blow for Vista. It finally makes its way out after all of these delays and Jobs has a little surprise for them, with it running head first into their new version of OSX.

That would be the coolest thing ever. Sod the iPhone.

MacsAttack
Jan 7, 2007, 03:06 AM
What makes you think they wont introduce Leopard next week?

Because it is nowhere near ready and everyone who has signed up for the test program has yet received a feature-complete version (all those "top secret" features we should get to see Tuesday) - somehting that would happen at least a month before Leopard goes gold - which in turn would be several weeks before it is released.

Best estimate is that we are at least 8 weeks from Leopard. Late April is the most realistic suggestion I've seen put about (oh - that was me...)

If Apple were to release Leopard next week, then I would most strongly recoment that nobody install it until they got to 10.5.3 because it is going to be a bug-ridden pile of guavas if it were rushed out the door like that. And Apple knows that with Vista out there, they have to get this one right.

MacDonaldsd
Jan 7, 2007, 04:35 AM
The fact is you could wait forever as everything will get updated wether its the processor or the OS, but there is no reason not to wait the 2 days for macworld as your get iLife 07 for free.