PDA

View Full Version : I found someone's iPod on the street. Now what?

PSUstoekl
Jan 4, 2007, 10:41 PM
I found a first-gen black 4gb nano on the street, in its sleeve, in near-mint condition. I'd like to get it back to its rightful owner (I have enough apple goodies as it is), but how would I go about doing it?

Thanks

mad jew
Jan 4, 2007, 10:43 PM
Contact Apple with the serial number, maybe... Does it have anyone in the list of contacts you could... err... contact?

Aniej
Jan 4, 2007, 10:43 PM
assuming it doesn't have anything engraved on the back right?

I say you post on craigs list if you are really motivated and post the location you found it and the day, but leave aspects blank such as the capacity, color and the sleve(make and model).

monke
Jan 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
Check for notes and contacts first.
Then check the photos and see if you recognize anyone.
You could also connect it to your computer, and click 'get info' (in iTunes) on any song that they may have. If it is from iTunes it will have their e-mail address there.

PSUstoekl
Jan 4, 2007, 10:52 PM
interestingly, this thing is packed with three types of music: disney, christian and classical. All of it is pirated (tracks have notes like Spaceman Spiff Torrentz)... which creates an interesting conundrum morally, christian yet steals? No photos, no contacts, no purchased music...

Cybix
Jan 4, 2007, 10:58 PM
is it formatted for mac or windows? this it the big question :)

swingerofbirch
Jan 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
You could post in craigslist or in your local paper if they have that type of section, with the expectation that the person can identify what music is on the ipod--you might get a lot of fake calls.

Or just call AppleCare and tell them and they can identify the person by SN--possibly--and contact him/her on your behalf.

PSUstoekl
Jan 4, 2007, 11:06 PM
Or just call AppleCare and tell them and they can identify the person by SN--possibly--and contact him/her on your behalf.

That's what I was planning on... how's it done, can anyone give a link? I didn't see anything like that on the applecare website.

swingerofbirch
Jan 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
Just call 1800-APL-CARE

I guess you when the automated system asks what you want say ipod....If you explain the situation they'll get you where you need to be..you'll probably have to be escalated to another department.

Bibulous
Jan 4, 2007, 11:22 PM
get Senuti - http://fadingred.org/senuti/

fivetoadsloth
Jan 4, 2007, 11:23 PM
Well Id put it in local paper and call apple. Good job for returning it. Hope the ower finds it! :)

eRondeau
Jan 5, 2007, 01:13 AM
If all else fails, tell the police. :eek:

Pistol Pete
Jan 5, 2007, 01:19 AM
wait! thats mine! ;)

Chundles
Jan 5, 2007, 01:36 AM
My father found someone's blue 4GB mini sometime last year whilst out walking.

We:

1. Looked through the email contacts for a possible email address (there were none).

2. Went through the music looking for iTS purchases to see if we could get an email address there (there were none).

3. Handed it into the police, they sealed it, took his details and 8 weeks after we found it the iPod was returned to my father with the details of transfer so it's now ours free and clear.

It works a treat too - gee they're sturdy little buggers.

So yeah, take it to the cops and get them to record all the details - you may have to wait a while but if it's not claimed you have full legal rights to it.

eluk
Jan 5, 2007, 01:44 AM
...All of it is pirated...

Keep it, they won't be expecting it to be returned. :p

robPOD
Jan 5, 2007, 01:58 AM
Lol keep it

Anonymous Freak
Jan 5, 2007, 03:33 AM
I ran into the opposite problem. My son arranged via Craigslist to buy an iPod mini.

We met the guy, and bought it fairly cheaply. When we got it home, I noticed that the serial number had been scratched off the back.

Well, that has the hallmark of stolen property. Since you can see the serial number in the menu, I looked it up on an online stolen iPod directory, and called the police to see if anyone had reported one with that serial number stolen. Both came up clean. (Of course, it could just mean that the person didn't write down their serial number.) Since iPods are so common, and so commonly stolen, there was no reasonable way to determine who it would have belonged to, so we kept it. (In a city of 2 million, there were literally hundreds of silver iPod minis that had been stolen in the previous few months. With no way to match this one with one that had positively been stolen, it could very well have been a legitimate sale...)

Aniej
Jan 5, 2007, 03:49 AM
interestingly, this thing is packed with three types of music: disney, christian and classical. All of it is pirated (tracks have notes like Spaceman Spiff Torrentz)... which creates an interesting conundrum morally, christian yet steals? No photos, no contacts, no purchased music...

OK I have solved the problem, your description was just the clue I needed to figure out who lost their iPod...

Kernow
Jan 5, 2007, 03:59 AM
2. Went through the music looking for iTS purchases to see if we could get an email address there (there were none).

I was going to suggest this too. I remember a while back Janey found an iPod and was able to return it to the owner by doing this.

iSaint
Jan 5, 2007, 06:17 AM
I was going to suggest this too. I remember a while back Janey found an iPod and was able to return it to the owner by doing this.

Thanks for remembering this. I was about to make the same comment.

Marlon_JBT
Jan 5, 2007, 08:27 AM
I hope one of you guys finds my iPod if I ever lose it...

I purchase from the iTMS, so it should be easy to find me. :)

m-dogg
Jan 5, 2007, 11:17 AM

Hahahahhhh... :D

I think the idea of looking up purchased music's email address is brilliant though...but I guess it won't work in this case.

Howard Brazee
Jan 5, 2007, 12:17 PM

Could you explain to this new iPod user how you could tell that these were pirated? (I am completely ignorant about how to steal songs and so far have only copied my legal CDs - although I have a list of songs I want to buy). I'd like to be able to accurately recognize pirated songs on people's iPods and computers.

Tom B.
Jan 5, 2007, 12:40 PM
Could you explain to this new iPod user how you could tell that these were pirated? (I am completely ignorant about how to steal songs and so far have only copied my legal CDs - although I have a list of songs I want to buy). I'd like to be able to accurately recognize pirated songs on people's iPods and computers.

Spaceman Spiff Torrentz is a music sharing website, so that name being in the song's comments means the song was from there. To look at a songs comments, just scroll to the right in iTunes and you should see a comments column. As for recognising pirated songs on an iPod, i think the only way to do that would be to plug the iPod into your computer (but do not sync), and check the iPod's contents in iTunes.

Aniej
Jan 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
My father found someone's blue 4GB mini sometime last year whilst out walking.

We:

3. Handed it into the police, they sealed it, took his details and 8 weeks after we found it the iPod was returned to my father with the details of transfer so it's now ours free and clear.

It works a treat too - gee they're sturdy little buggers.

So yeah, take it to the cops and get them to record all the details - you may have to wait a while but if it's not claimed you have full legal rights to it.
Maybe in Australia my friend, but over here in the good old USA you certainly do not have a legal right to it. The iPod, depending on the size of the agency you are dealing with will most likely sit in an evidence locker for a long time and then be donated by the police to needy children. My old agency used to do that very frequently with all the stolen bikes we used to recover either from an arrest or by way of nice citizens who brought them in as lost property.
Nevertheless, not having a legal right to it does not preclude the Chundles' idea from working. But, it would be based off your asking the police if this could be an option, which they will likely say no simply to cover their *ss. But agian, the size of the agency matters. If you are in small town with 50 cops ro something and they tend to be decent set of officers than maybe, but if it is a large agency like mine was, then the answer is more likely a sorry sir, I just cannot do that. Again, I say craigslist.

Mac'Mo
Jan 5, 2007, 04:54 PM
yeah or search craigslist in your area for anyone who might've lost it

TequilaBoobs
Jan 5, 2007, 05:18 PM
put it in a blender.

After G
Jan 5, 2007, 05:59 PM
put it in a blender.I agree completely :D

Will it blend? (http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=ipod)

Willis
Jan 5, 2007, 06:03 PM
Im pretty sure Chuddles idea would hold true over here too. Cant remember though. I'll ask my sister in law, she processes the speed camera fines in Lincolnshire.

AP_piano295
Jan 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
I agree completely :D

Will it blend? (http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=ipod)

ughhh another example of excess money

raise that man's taxes

xUKHCx
Jan 5, 2007, 06:06 PM
I'll ask my sister in law, she processes the speed camera fines in Lincolnshire.

And you still speak to her:D

I recently lost my Nano and i am distraught so if anyone from Watford has found an 8Gb nano in a belkin case i would be ever so grateful.

The real bugger is my renault 5 just started to leak brake fluid :( so any money i would have had for my new iPod is being spent on the car.

michaelsaxon
Jan 5, 2007, 06:16 PM
is it formatted for mac or windows? this it the big question :)

That was really funny.

As an aside, as decision-making guide it might be a little flawed. I, for one, have just switched and my iPod is still formatted for Windows, so that at least creates a third category. Ah, ethical dilemmas!

Chundles
Jan 5, 2007, 06:28 PM
Maybe in Australia my friend, but over here in the good old USA you certainly do not have a legal right to it. The iPod, depending on the size of the agency you are dealing with will most likely sit in an evidence locker for a long time and then be donated by the police to needy children. My old agency used to do that very frequently with all the stolen bikes we used to recover either from an arrest or by way of nice citizens who brought them in as lost property.
Nevertheless, not having a legal right to it does not preclude the Chundles' idea from working. But, it would be based off your asking the police if this could be an option, which they will likely say no simply to cover their *ss. But agian, the size of the agency matters. If you are in small town with 50 cops ro something and they tend to be decent set of officers than maybe, but if it is a large agency like mine was, then the answer is more likely a sorry sir, I just cannot do that. Again, I say craigslist.

No agency, it's the NSW Police Force. The law here is 8 weeks of no claim and it's yours, doesn't matter what size the town is the cops and the laws are all the same.

RBMaraman
Jan 5, 2007, 07:41 PM

Incorrect. In the state of Indiana, at least.

If the owner cannot be located or does not come to claim the cash/product from the police, after 90 days it becomes the property of the person that turned it in. I know that many states have a law like this.

It was also mentioned in the Tom Hanks classic "Turner & Hooch." :D

Felldownthewell
Jan 5, 2007, 08:36 PM
Incorrect. In the state of Indiana, at least.

If the owner cannot be located or does not come to claim the cash/product from the police, after 90 days it becomes the property of the person that turned it in. I know that many states have a law like this.

It was also mentioned in the Tom Hanks classic "Turner & Hooch." :D

Not the case in Portland either. As far as I know the law is similar- you turn it in with your details and if it is not claimed, you get it.

However, the idea of the police giving expensive things to the needy is funny (at least here, and I am betting that it is due to small number of officers). Here, if you get arrested at a protest, it is not uncommon for the cellphone they take from you at booking to be "lost" in the few hours you spend in a holding cell.

Meatball
Jan 6, 2007, 02:16 PM
We need more PSUstoekl's on this planet that's for sure :D It's a great thing you're doing returning that iPod, karama remember :)

I think Apple need to start adding an "owner info" section onto iPods which lists name, address, email, would make returning iPods so much easier. I've never found anything interesting, is a shame since the wrong people always find them :mad:

Zwhaler
Jan 6, 2007, 04:06 PM
yeah, just give it to the police if all else fails, and if that doesn't work out, it's yours!

Howard Brazee
Jan 6, 2007, 06:52 PM
We need more PSUstoekl's on this planet that's for sure :D It's a great thing you're doing returning that iPod, karama remember :)

I think Apple need to start adding an "owner info" section onto iPods which lists name, address, email, would make returning iPods so much easier. I've never found anything interesting, is a shame since the wrong people always find them :mad:

I agree - but we can emulate this by creating a playlist with your name.

eRondeau
Jan 6, 2007, 07:43 PM
I agree - but we can emulate this by creating a playlist with your name.

Great idea -- I'd go with your first name and phone# but NOT home address, though. As somebody else mentioned, dishonest people often find lost items. Give them a phone number to call to make arrangements to return it, but not an address to visit you without warning.

And for heaven's sake, if you do file a police report, be specific. I read a lot of police reports, and most lost/stolen iPod reports just say "iPod" with no other details (or even *shudder* Apple .mp3 player). If you really want it back, describe it as...

Manufacturer: Apple
Model: iPod
Style: mini
Size: 6GB
Color: Blue
Serial#: ABC123XYZ
Unique Identifying Markings: "From Grandma" engraved on back

MeWannaMac
Jan 25, 2007, 11:06 PM
So... I am curious.... What happened with the found iPod?

Meatball
Jan 26, 2007, 03:17 AM

It's incredibly easy to tell if music is pirated. Generally:

1) No album tag or [Unknown] [Demo] [CD Quality Rip] [WWW.********.com] Friend's example:
Madonna: Confessions On THE Dancefloor, it's supposed to be Madonna: Confessions On A Dancefloor

2) Artist spelt wrong. I was looking at a friend's iPod and found the following which made me chuckle:
- Chrisistina Agralera (Christina Aguilera!!)
- Maddonna (madonna!!)
- Sugar Babes (Sugababes!!)
- Shawn Paul (Sean Paul!!)
- Panic at the disco (Panic! At The Disco)

3) Songs in multiple formats and bit rates. GENEREALLY if someone download illegally there music will be different formats and bit rates. I was sorting out a friends iTunes and it ranged from 112Kbit to 256Kbit VBR (rarely that high though)

4) Having no featuring artists listed as a song artist when they should be

5) Tracks spelt wrong or the completely wrong name. Another example from a friend's iPod:
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Right Round Baby, Right Round. It's supposed to be You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) [7" Metro Edit]

6) The best sign is when the artist is listed in the 'Track Name' section. So on your iPod after you've gone to Artists>Madonna>Confessions On A Dancefloor> the track will be listed as Madonna - Hung Up (when it should be just hung up, the track isn't called madonna - hung up :p )

7) Capitals not used for artists, albums and track names :)

8) The tracks can be naff rips or be incredibly bad radio rips

How do I know this? I've been given a perfectionist gene and so I spot tag mistakes easily, it helps when ALL your friends download music illegally to :(

dalvin200
Jan 26, 2007, 03:33 AM
I found a first-gen black 4gb nano on the street, in its sleeve, in near-mint condition. I'd like to get it back to its rightful owner (I have enough apple goodies as it is), but how would I go about doing it?

Thanks

oh cool.. i was wondering where it had gone..

can i have it back now please :D

EDIT: Darn.. i just found mine in my pocket :eek: hehe

thefunkymunky
Jan 26, 2007, 03:53 AM
I would keep it and flog it on eBay. Finders Keepers and all that.:rolleyes:

MacRumorUser
Jan 26, 2007, 04:03 AM
If they ever do collect it - please wipe all the music off the hard drive and put a recording of 'sermon on the mount' on it. :D

although i'm sure the Irony would be lost on them.

Meatball
Jan 26, 2007, 04:04 AM
If they ever do collect it - please wipe all the music off the hard drive and put a recording of 'sermon on the mount' on it.

"though shall not steal"...... although i'm sure the Irony would be lost on them.

Now that's a great idea :D

I would keep it and flog it on eBay. Finders Keepers and all that.:rolleyes:

Well I hope you lose your iPod and the person who finds it has the same attitude as you :)

thefunkymunky
Jan 26, 2007, 04:52 AM
Now that's a great idea :D

Well I hope you lose your iPod and the person who finds it has the same attitude as you :)

I don't own an iPod.:p