Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Not a question, but it bugs me when pc users send .exe's. GRRR I don't want to start up VPC.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
normal question is is there any software for macs? (legal software, and warez).

i normally send a link to versiontracker for those that ask, and tell there is at least the same counterculture (warez) as for pcs, if they want to find it.

if there are any good games.. i just tell them my favorite game hasn't been released for pcs :D

i love when i get stupid windows viruses in email. i fwd them to f-secure with my .mac account normally asking if that is a virus for windows. if it is they tell me what it is and ask me to remove the file from my system etc. i forward then the viruses to a friend that has 4 macs and makes a virus collection (of mainloy windows viruses).

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
some of them here have already been said but they annoy me anyway:

1. amazement when they first see blueberry imac, like.. wtf is this why you have kid toy

2. I brought you this (PC) game, lets play it

3. sending me .exe and making me download PC software.. asking for windows

4. where is your floppy drive? (aaarghhhh), i dont like your mac just because it doesnt have floppy drive

5. you cant run apps on mac

yet, 2 of my friends were sorry they bought PC, and few more want to switch.. but value for money is poor :(

they even defend mac saying experience and OSX rules

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
"Is it a laptop or a desktop?"

The question posed to me by a CompUSA rep over the phone when I asked if they had any 800mhz superdrive iMacs in stock.

Lethal

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
1. "Why would you buy a computer if you can't play Counterstrike on it?"
2. "Why don't you have a floppy drive?"
3. "Don't you hate it when your computer crashes?"

krhodus

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2001
Dublin, OH
"wow! what version of windows it that?"

"is the internet the same on mac?"

"bring over your imac, we can put xp on it."

I know someone who actaully did this, and screwed up his imac.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Wes
Not a question, but it bugs me when pc users send .exe's. GRRR I don't want to start up VPC.

Hey, but at least you can. I've made a number of Windows users' jaws hit the floor when I fire up Win2K in a window on my Powerbook.

My favorite bad question: "If I send you email from my PC, you won't be able to read it, will you?"

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by krhodus
"bring over your imac, we can put xp on it."

I know someone who actaully did this, and screwed up his imac.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Induhvidual looks at PowerBook G4: "Is that the new Sony?"
Induhvidual looks at OS X Desktop: "Which [Windows] XP theme is that?"

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
"The other [right-click mouse] button does the same thing?"

Sorry, I'm a PC guy, so haven't had much experience with dumbass PC guys asking Mac questions.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
When the discussion turns to my iMac:
"But you can't upgrade your video card!"

While it's true, I always explain that I don't need to because Macs ship with good video cards (and in my case, I have no need for better graphics).
They never get it.

That, and any comment about floppy drives.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
"But, if I get a Mac instead of a PC, will I still be able to get email from my daughter? And how will I be able to view the internet?"

Or

"Isn't it true that hooking up a Mac to a Windows network will cause all of the Windows machines to get viruses and crash?"

Or

"We can't get a Mac for our graphics designer, because, what would we do when it gets old? We usually pass our older PCs to the secretaries, but they couldn't use a Mac."

It's amazing to me how ignorant a lot of people are about the nature of computers in general.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by mbustamante
I would have to say "Is their a good Virus Portection Porgram Installed?"
that's one of the best. you get to be like, "nope... i don't need one :D"

I can't think of any truly terrible Q's. most of the people i know don't care, or admire me for stepping out of windows. they just don't have the guts to, but they hate windows.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
are mac documents compatible to windows documents ( ms office and so on )

mac? that are these unstable pc s right?

Will i be able to read my mails on a mac?

most of the people are so ignorant. I think apple should really work on the meaning of people over apple. that s i think the only way to get the market share up.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
When the discussion turns to my iMac:
"But you can't upgrade your video card!"

While it's true, I always explain that I don't need to because Macs ship with good video cards (and in my case, I have no need for better graphics).

Apple really needs to improve its graphics card offerings. While many users find Made in Elbonia gaming cards to be just fine, I would prefer something better:

http://www.3dlabs.com/product/index.htm

Come on, Apple. Some of us would like real graphics cards on our PowerMacs!

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
1st place: "can you get online with a mac?"

grand prize: "i don't think you can program a mac"
-response given by an employee of computercity when i asked him where the mac development software was.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Dumb question: You cant pirate Mac software as easy as you can Windows stuff, can you?

Answer: Correct, in my town (I livein a small town in rural part of Spain) there is literally no Mac software to copy, apart from what I had bundled with the PB. But firstly I dont really need any extra apps, secondly I wouldnt and dont pirate - unlike the whole of Spain, and thirdly dumbass, there is so much freeware, and low price shareware out there for Mac, what's the point of your question.

Awkward question: How much did you pay for your Powerbook?

Answer: I invested more than I wanted, but in 5 years time when you're on your second computer, I'll be reaping the rewards of buying the best Mac on the market at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.