Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by tazo
Well they make good hard disks, but in my experience do not last as long as other brands.

I (and he knows this) have had roughly thirty IBM 75GXPs go through sudden death syndrome...

That's not a good harddisk, I don't care how good the rest of their line might be, after a dismal performance like that I'll be a LONG time before I trust any of their disks for any remotely critical data.

SMcV

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2003
Originally posted by Chryx
I (and he knows this) have had roughly thirty IBM 75GXPs go through sudden death syndrome...

As I understand it, they were good up until the 40GV range (I've had a 41GB one of those for two or three years myself, it seems to work OK so far).

The faster 75GXPs died regularly and had to be pulled (IBM briefly sold them with a "recommended maximum usage" in hours per month, which I seem to remember was enough to use one in an office computer, but only if you turned it off during your lunch break!)

The 60GXPs which followed (the number is related to the platter size or something - notice the smaller capacity?) were as fast as 75GXPs and more reliable, but still died occasionally. It seems IBM just pushed the technology a bit too far.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Come on, people, TOPIC! :p

Just the other day I wanted to install a new RAM chip in a 12"PB, and I asked one of my coworkers here for a small phillips screw driver to do so. He told me that what I needed was a special proprietary screw driver that I could only get from Apple. I had to show him the bottom of the machine to convince him that it was just simple phillips screws.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Come on, people, TOPIC! :p

Just the other day I wanted to install a new RAM chip in a 12"PB, and I asked one of my coworkers here for a small phillips screw driver to do so. He told me that what I needed was a special proprietary screw driver that I could only get from Apple. I had to show him the bottom of the machine to convince him that it was just simple phillips screws.

oh wow, that's a classic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.