PDA

View Full Version : known ipod issues

robocop2000
May 10, 2003, 05:15 PM
This thread is intended as a list of known issues and annoyances with the new ipods so that new owners don't panic thinking the problem is just on their ipod. (also it may be of great interest to apple when they are writing the next software update!) Please keep this thread limited to ipod issues not musicmatch or itunes.

****PLEASE read the thread fully before adding problems to avoid duplication****

* There is a clicking noise between songs

*Sometimes after a pause or skip back the channels switch, ie the left channel becomes the right and vice versa

*When using the on-the-go playlist: If you add a song to the playlist while it is playing the new song won't be played unless the playlist is restarted

chicagdan
May 10, 2003, 06:03 PM
I'll add:

1) overly sensitive buttons
2) very slow firewire charging (I highly recommend using the plug to charge the iPod directly.)

Mal
May 10, 2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks, I'll add mine when my new graduation present gets here!!!

JW

dhdave
May 10, 2003, 08:26 PM
Mine has to be reset approximately every 24 hours. Sometimes it won't turn on at all. Other times it comes on but won't play. Like the pause button is on, but it's not. Once I do a reset it's fine. I still love it, but the glitches are very annoying.

-dh

robocop2000
May 11, 2003, 05:50 PM
Another thing I have discovered is that first thing in the morning it takes a couple of minutes to "wake up". Navigation of the menus is very slow and I have been close to resetting it but then it just starts working again.

illumin8
May 12, 2003, 01:24 AM
I have noticed all of these problems, and in addition, I have had another problem:

* Ipod randomly shuts itself off while playing in the middle of a song.

This has only happened to me twice, but it's very annoying. It doesn't require a full system reset or anything, you just have to turn it back on. I know I didn't press any buttons accidentally because it was sitting on the desk right beside me when it happened, not touching anything.

robocop2000
May 12, 2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by illumin8
I know I didn't press any buttons accidentally because it was sitting on the desk right beside me when it happened, not touching anything.

Maybe a fly landed on the highly sensitive buttons :)

ozubahn
May 12, 2003, 05:29 AM
On a few occasions my new 15GB has ended a song prematurely. With 20 or 30 seconds still to go, it will just hop on to the next one. It is as if the forward button is generating spurious signals every so often. I also have all of the above problems, with the exception of the spontaneous shutdown.

I like this thing a lot, but it is definitely buggy. I used my original 5gig iPod for a year and a half without ever once resetting it. I've reset the new one several times already.

pauld
May 12, 2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by ozubahn
On a few occasions my new 15GB has ended a song prematurely. With 20 or 30 seconds still to go, it will just hop on to the next one. It is as if the forward button is generating spurious signals every so often. I also have all of the above problems, with the exception of the spontaneous shutdown.

DITTO!
This happens when it is sitting on my table/in the dock - so no button have been pushed. Quite frustrating.

addsapple
May 12, 2003, 08:54 AM
Maybe the iPod is really a new generation music robot.. thing?? I mean, it has a mind of its own! It doesn't like a song so it skips it to the next! Then if it want a sleep, it turns itself off!

No joke

But I have ordered my new 30gb iPod and collecting it on Saturday! Im buying it with my 12% partner discount from John Lewis :-) FUN... I seriously can't wait! YAAAY... OH JOY!! Yippee!:D :D :D

chicagdan
May 12, 2003, 09:06 AM
I feel fortunate to not have a lot of the problems listed here on my 15 GIG ... I only hope Apple can fix everything with software upgrades.

Le Big Mac
May 12, 2003, 09:23 AM
There are times when the buttons on mine seem not to work, temporarily (and the hold button is not on). It quickly gets going again, after a few button presses (touches)

pauld
May 12, 2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
There are times when the buttons on mine seem not to work, temporarily (and the hold button is not on). It quickly gets going again, after a few button presses (touches)

This happens to mine too. It seems to be stalling quite a bit, then if you keep pressing the button you end up going through a load of menus and playing a song you don't necessarily want to play.
Hmmmmm....

alia
May 12, 2003, 10:45 AM
I haven't had any of these problems either, except the click sometimes between songs - can't tell if it's my MP3s or the ipod. Also, I've had to reset it a couple times when my PC crashed while it was connected (yes, I use a PC and I will be until I can afford a Mac, so leave it alone ;) ). Musicmatch seems okay, except that last night it told me the ipod was full and stopped loading songs :eek: but it still had 10 gigs free (15 gig ipod). I tried to load them again and a few more albums loaded up but then the PC crashed. The PC I'm using isn't the most stable one, but it's my only one with firewire. I was too tired to try syncing again, but I will try when I get home this evening. I have about 750 songs on it now.

Alia

JPGR_Fan
May 12, 2003, 11:46 AM
My 30 will freeze at about 15 minutes into a jog/run. Probably won't be a software/firmware fix for this, but maybe an Apple recommended way to hold it steady.

CrackedButter
May 12, 2003, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry you guys have problems with your iPods considering the amount of money you paid for it.

I have no problems or any issues with mine.

somecows
May 12, 2003, 01:35 PM
So does anyone have any idea what the clicking between songs is, and how to avoid it? its not that big a deal i guess but every time i hear it i feel like a little electrical wire is being zapped in my brain, or something.

Also, how come my 15 gig ipod had less than 14 gigs of available space when i first got it? i assume the software on the thing takes up some space, but a gig seems like an awful lot?

Falleron
May 12, 2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by somecows
So does anyone have any idea what the clicking between songs is, and how to avoid it? its not that big a deal i guess but every time i hear it i feel like a little electrical wire is being zapped in my brain, or something.

Also, how come my 15 gig ipod had less than 14 gigs of available space when i first got it? i assume the software on the thing takes up some space, but a gig seems like an awful lot?
Hmmm. I was getting ready to buy an iPod + after all these comments I think I will wait a few weeks/months until these things have been cleared up! I still want one, just dont want a dud!

chewbaccapits
May 12, 2003, 02:46 PM
Maybe its just me..But I noticed a "rainbow" magnitized effect on the screen directly below the headphone jack, its as if the jack caused it....Anyone?...I seem to notice it at certain angles when natural light hits it...

CrackedButter
May 12, 2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
Maybe its just me..But I noticed a "rainbow" magnitized effect on the screen directly below the headphone jack, its as if the jack caused it....Anyone?...I seem to notice it at certain angles when natural light hits it...

You know, you're right, however it isn't there when turned on or in use, its noticeable when turned off.

Le Big Mac
May 12, 2003, 03:17 PM

The click to me sounds electrical. Like there's some problem with the ground. The internal amp shuts off when the song ends causing a click, and then starts up again. (not that I know the internal workings). I wonder if the problem exists without the remote?

Laslo Panaflex
May 12, 2003, 03:36 PM
My friend got a 10 gig ipod for windows only that had alot of the same problems that you all are listing. It would freeze and load very slowly and sometimes wouldn't even restart, he had to left the battery run out. Well when I used it I said to him "this shouldn't work like this, even though you are using a PC." Well he sent it back to apple and they sent him a new one that works fine, they even payed for shipping and no hassles. I have a new 15 gig ipod and it works great, none of the problems described above. So if I were you guys, I would send it back to apple, $300-$500 is alot of money. Its impossible for all the ipods ever made to work perfectly, so send it back and get a new one!

jermsmingy
May 12, 2003, 03:49 PM
But my biggest complaint is the backlight. On my original iPod when the backligtht was turned on using the menu button it would stay on until the buttons or scroll wheel had not moved or been pushed for like 5 seconds. Now I will be scrolling and it will just turn off in the middle of me trying to find a song. I have tried changing the backlight timer but the same thing happens. I don't want the backlight timer always on cause that is annoying. I wish they would make it like the original iPods. But that is really my only complaint.

MacBoyX
May 12, 2003, 04:38 PM

All hard drives are like that when you buy a 15GB Hard Drive it usually only has about 14.2 GB of usuable space. Now the good question is...why dont they make the hard disks 15.8GB so they are actually 15GB of usuble space?

-MacboyX

MacFan25
May 12, 2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
I have no problems or any issues with mine.
I haven't had any problems with my 10 GB either. I love it! I like the new buttons. Although they were a bit touchy at first, I got used to them quickly. I am very satisfied with my purchase! :D

chewbaccapits
May 12, 2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
You know, you're right, however it isn't there when turned on or in use, its noticeable when turned off.

Really?....This has to be unacceptable, right?..Was this also known in the first and second generators? why does this NOT happen with cellphones?WTFack...

Mineral
May 12, 2003, 10:58 PM
I just bought a new 10GB iPod at best buy today.. haven't had a lick of trouble.. I even took it to the gym already for use while on the treadmill.

I LOVE IT!!!:cool:

CrackedButter
May 13, 2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
Really?....This has to be unacceptable, right?..Was this also known in the first and second generators? why does this NOT happen with cellphones?WTFack...

Its tiny, hardly there though.

gopher
May 13, 2003, 08:44 AM
If worried about how sensitive the buttons are, use the lock switch on the iPod so your button presses are not registered until you want them to be.

MrBubbles
May 13, 2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by MacBoyX
All hard drives are like that when you buy a 15GB Hard Drive it usually only has about 14.2 GB of usuable space. Now the good question is...why dont they make the hard disks 15.8GB so they are actually 15GB of usuble space?

-MacboyX

I think the issue is really with the definition of gigabyte. It can be either 1 billion bytes exactly (which is probably what the manufacturer reports) or it can be 1073741824 bytes (1024^3 bytes; which is probably what the iPod itself and iTunes report). The second definition is the traditional one used by computer scientists and friends because it's a nice power of 2, the first is used by PR folks because it's a nice power of 10 and because it inflates the numbers.

If you still don't get it, consider that 15,000,000,000 bytes (15 PR GB) divided by 1,073,741,824 is approx. 13.97 traditional GB -- not quite 15GB.

TheT
May 14, 2003, 09:24 AM
Anyone else had this problems?
Sometimes, my backlight just doesn't work. No matter if I choose "backlight" from the menu, hold down the menu key or change the Preferences for it, it just doesn't work at all!
When I put the iPod to sleep (play button long) and wake it up again, it will work, but after 2 times putting it to sleep again, the 3rd time when it wakes up, it doesn't work again... please, tell me if I have to return it or if it's a known bug!

gopher
May 14, 2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by MrBubbles
I think the issue is really with the definition of gigabyte. It can be either 1 billion bytes exactly (which is probably what the manufacturer reports) or it can be 1073741824 bytes (1024^3 bytes; which is probably what the iPod itself and iTunes report). The second definition is the traditional one used by computer scientists and friends because it's a nice power of 2, the first is used by PR folks because it's a nice power of 10 and because it inflates the numbers.

If you still don't get it, consider that 15,000,000,000 bytes (15 PR GB) divided by 1,073,741,824 is approx. 13.97 traditional GB -- not quite 15GB.

Apple addresses this issue in the knowledgebase:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30065

TheT
May 14, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by TheT
Anyone else had this problems?
Sometimes, my backlight just doesn't work. No matter if I choose "backlight" from the menu, hold down the menu key or change the Preferences for it, it just doesn't work at all!
When I put the iPod to sleep (play button long) and wake it up again, it will work, but after 2 times putting it to sleep again, the 3rd time when it wakes up, it doesn't work again... please, tell me if I have to return it or if it's a known bug!
I'll quote myself here, because I figured out what the problem is. So, new known issue:
When you turn the iPod off and immedialtely on again, the backlight will not work unless you repeat the progress and wait a few seconds before turning it back on. :D

GroundLoop
May 14, 2003, 01:20 PM
I have already seen my two biggest concerns in the list:

1. Sometimes the iPod likes to just skip to the next sone when there is about 30 seconds left.
2. That weird rainbow effect on the top of the LCD by the headphone jack.

I wonder if Apple is working on correcting the first. Not to sure what can be done about the second.

Has anyone taken their's to an Apple store and tried to get a replacement because of the rainbow effect? Does this only occur on a handful if new iPods (perhaps only the 30GB)?

Hickman

bennetsaysargh
May 14, 2003, 03:03 PM
the only problem i've had is the rainbow effect, and it goes away within a few seconds after i see it.:rolleyes:
nothing can be perfect.:(

alia
May 14, 2003, 04:31 PM
After a couple of reformats and two hours on the phone with apple care, I realized that my ipod was coming up as full after syncing for just a short while because the battery was low! It's probably only a PC thing since the mac version charges with the firewire... so, anyone with an ipod for Windows, if it says the ipod's full while it's syncing and you know it's not, then just unhook it from your computer and let it charge up and it should resume syncing songs.... wish the error message had been correct! I thought there was something wrong with the HDD of my ipod. What a pain! Oh well, at least everything is fine now.

Oh, and the applecare guy had no idea about that. I should call them back and let them know what the problem was. They never were able to fix it. I figured it out after downloading ephpod and it syncing for like and hour and then dying and realizing the battery was exhausted. Syncing seems to really drain the battery.

:D

Alia