PDA

View Full Version : Jobs Excited about Device, Keynote?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 8, 2007, 01:37 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In the continuing build up of hype leading to the Macworld SF 2007 keynote, Cult of Mac blog (http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2007/01/rumor_jobs_invi.html) posts this anonymous tidbit:

...a very trusted (and extremely anonymous) source of mine in Silicon Valley told me recently that he has it on good faith that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has invited all of his best friends to his MacWorld SF Keynote on Tuesday. In Silicon Valley buzz code, that means he's got something really special to show.

Meanwhile, International Herald Tribute's article (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/07/yourmoney/mobile.php?page=2) about Apple's upcoming device claims that "[Jobs] was more excited about his current project than he was about the Macintosh."

Steve Jobs was previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060811110535.shtml) to have been very excited about the Apple Phone and uncharacteristically vocal about it to his inner circle.

In the hours/days before the Macworld Expo, an acceleration of rumors and hype is common. Readers should temper their excitement with some realism to prevent being disappointed by the event. Despite the almost ubiquitous expectation for an Apple Phone at Macworld, our roundup revealed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070101180909.shtml) most sources pointed to a release in the 1st half of 2007.

arn
Jan 8, 2007, 01:39 AM
and the unrealistic hype continues.... :)

arn

livingfortoday
Jan 8, 2007, 01:39 AM
I can't temper my excitement! I can't stop thinking about Tuesday!

And I'll be in class or commuting during the keynote!

NOOOOO!!!!

Aniej
Jan 8, 2007, 01:40 AM
Ironically, I will be in securities regulation... how fitting:rolleyes:

i4k20c
Jan 8, 2007, 01:40 AM
the suspense is killing me. :o

if there is a "iphone" released, i doubt i'd be able to get it anyway since i have sprint, but one can always dream!

=)
i'm also very very excited to see what lepord holds as i plan on getting it!!

EricNau
Jan 8, 2007, 01:41 AM
This MacWorld sounds very promising. :)

lopresmb
Jan 8, 2007, 01:41 AM
I am of course super excited about the Keynote as well, but don't get your hopes up too too high.....Steve was also quite excited about the iPod Hi-Fi.

Donz0r
Jan 8, 2007, 01:42 AM
Oh yeah :-D

arn
Jan 8, 2007, 01:43 AM
I am of course super excited about the Keynote as well, but don't get your hopes up too too high.....Steve was also quite excited about the iPod Hi-Fi.

:) true... but Apple's in part to blame (for the hype) with their website teaser..

arn

lopresmb
Jan 8, 2007, 01:47 AM
:) true... but Apple's in part to blame (for the hype) with their website teaser..

arn

indeed, and I am hoping for the best, this Macworld has some huge quite potential

nicksoper
Jan 8, 2007, 01:48 AM
I love the keynotes. At least you know something is coming! Even if it's small.

Amidst all the hype over the iPhone, I'm a little bit over it, but macumors is heeping my hope alive!

Viva la keynote.

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 01:49 AM
I need to ask. Has anyone ever heard of an instance of a Mac user having a heart attack from getting overly excited about a Mac event?

Seriously because I think someone is going to explode before Tuesday. http://home.comcast.net/~jonnormand/icons/posting.php_files/new_microwave.gif

I just hope there is no one else around, because if this teasing continues my numbers suggest they will take out half a block. Never underestimate the energy released from a hyped up Mac fan. :D

lopresmb
Jan 8, 2007, 01:50 AM
P.S. - you did a really great job on television a while back. You came across as the intelligent and well spoken person we know you are.

Music-Man
Jan 8, 2007, 01:54 AM

arn

I don't think Apple are usual responsible for any of the hype. In fact they downplayed the Hi-Fi/Intel Mini launch (in a small room, on campus etc). It's us and the media who are to blame. I include myself in that. I've taken the morning off work to watch the keynote a couple of times, and then do some shopping. ;)

I must say though, with the teaser on the website, Apple are definately backing themselves, which is a good sign.

That said, I just hope that if they are not going to release an ApplePhone, they tell us and put us all out of our misery.

JZ Wire
Jan 8, 2007, 01:56 AM
Tuesday just cant arrive fast enough. Sounds like it will be one hell of a keynote!

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 01:59 AM
I don't think Apple are usual responsible for any of the hype. In fact they downplayed the Hi-Fi/Intel Mini launch (in a small room, on campus etc). It's us and the media who are to blame. I include myself in that. I've taken the morning off work to watch the keynote a couple of times, and then do some shopping. ;)

I must say though, with the teaser on the website, Apple are definately backing themselves, which is a good sign.

That said, I just hope that if they are not going to release an ApplePhone, they tell us and put us all out of our misery.

My friend. You don't need a front page ad to generate hype. Something as simple as a "leaked" rumor is sometimes, and in the case of Mac fans often, enough to start the spin process, which then leads to mainstream media picking it up, and it snowballs from there. I'm willing to bet some of the rumors that have been leaked over the years has been intentional. Apple would be a fool to not use its secretive nature to its advantage, which IMHO I'm sure they do. Granted my view could also be from watching WAY too much West Wing over the weekend. So YMMV on the opinion.

sluthy
Jan 8, 2007, 02:10 AM
This is not the first MacWorld I've been interested in (I was awake at 4am watching the MRLive feed of the MacBooks being introduced :p), but this is the first one I'm actually anxious/invested in, because my credit card is out and ready to drop on a laptop and I'm looking at a MBP and waiting for Apple to convince me.

Zzzoom
Jan 8, 2007, 02:14 AM
In the hours/days before the Macworld Expo, an acceleration of rumors and hype is common. Readers should temper their excitement with some realism to prevent being disappointed by the event.

Pure gold.

kresh
Jan 8, 2007, 02:15 AM
I'm all excited. I just can't wait, but I had a bad feeling when I read that all of Steve's close friends were invited to watch this keynote.

I hope it's not some stupid crap like "Apple has purchased all rights to the Atari name, platform and codebase. The Atari console is back!". You know what I mean, some off the wall buy-out deal or a sell-out deal to another company for that matter.

edit: Although a merger (or buy-out) with Nintendo would be just awesome! Nintendo's market cap is around 3 Billion USD. Apple easily has three times that much in the bank, but I'm not sure it's really possible to purchase a Japanese company.

madyaks
Jan 8, 2007, 02:18 AM
This had better be one great phone for all this hype...

I'd rather see updates to the Mac Pro, Mini, and iMac. You know the computers that are Apple, or is it the iPod that is Apple or the Ram sales (since the machines come under supplied)

Come on give us a great video option for the iMac, that would make the 24 inch 2.33 a real monster. (if you allowed another machine to use the screen I'd have your baby)
Give the Mini a speed bump, C2D, and a decent video option and that thing would rock.
The Pro... not much to do there. How about 2 gigs of ram? Maybe 1 or 2 more video options?

iTV? Make it better than Tivo and you rock.

Any chance we can get all of the above in black?

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2007, 02:22 AM
"First, I'm going to give you few updates, and then we'll get to the meat of todays keynote.

... So, last year was our best year ever in retail, and we broke all previous records in our Mac-shipments. So what about new products? Well, I'm happy to report to you that today we are releasing a brand new set of iPod socks and sleeves. Socks are hand-knitted by bunch of old ladies in Florida, and the sleeves are made from the finest Corinthian Leather we could find. Prices are $79 for the socks, and $149 for the sleeves. And that wraps up the Keynote, I'll be seeing you at WWDC!"

iMacZealot
Jan 8, 2007, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to in MacWorld. iPhone? Well, I just got a Sidekick, which I'm pretty happy with, and unless if it's going to be $350 or less unlocked, I'm not buying one as a spare phone. Plus, my brother's giving me his Nokia 3250 next week, which will make for a great backup. iPods? Sad to say it, but I don't touch my iPod unless if I'm on an airplane. As for the iMac, I'm pretty happy with my G5, albeit the fact that I have 9 GB left on my hard disk. MacBook? I'm definitely thinking about saving up for one, but I'm not sure how much I would use one. iTV? My brother gave me his SlingBox to figure out, which I can't use until I get another AirPort. While I would definitely buy an 802.11n AirPort, I'm not really expecting it at MWSF.

The anticipation is definitely there in iMacZealot's heart, but I'm just not sure what I'm looking forward to.

Multimedia
Jan 8, 2007, 02:23 AM
Gotta be HDMI HDTV from the web related to get a rise out of me. I need a tool to hook up to my new Samsung 40" LN-S4095 HDTV. :p

I'll be here Tuesday morning to provide Keynote opinion and feedback BTW. Not going up until Wednesday Morning.

Faint hope for an early Stoakley-Seaburg equipped 8 core Mac Pro for under $4k and a 100GB 640 x 360 one third HD Resolution Widescreen Video iPod for $399. :D

You guys see those numbers at MacPoll saying 34% want an iPod Phone while only 17% want a Video iPod and 9% want an 8 core Mac Pro and only 5% want new displays? This culture is going INSANE. I do not get it. The voters here have got to NOT represent the masses out there - no other explanation for such flipped numbers.

22% want an Ultra-Thin MacBook like that's gonna happen - right. :rolleyes:

furious
Jan 8, 2007, 02:24 AM
He is retiring. :confused:

dontmatter
Jan 8, 2007, 02:28 AM
oh, this means two things for sure (if the rumor is true):

1. Awesome product(s)
2. Said products can't possibly live up to expectations, and will dissapointing to those who, ironically, have the most potential to be excited by mac tech products.

I should have taken the week off from macrumors, so I could be blown away by the keynote.

No doubt, this game is still fun, though, and apple still comes up with great, great stuff.

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 02:29 AM
"First, I'm going to give you few updates, and then we'll get to the meat of todays keynote.

... So, last year was our best year ever in retail, and we broke all previous records in our Mac-shipments. So what about new products? Well, I'm happy to report to you that today we are releasing a brand new set of iPod socks and sleeves. Socks are hand-knitted by bunch of old ladies in Florida, and the sleeves are made from the finest Corinthian Leather we could find. Prices are $79 for the socks, and $149 for the sleeves. And that wraps up the Keynote, I'll be seeing you at WWDC!"

The Mac blogasphere and MWSF would collapse in on itself and create a black hole destroying the Earth. In effect Jobs would doom mankind. :eek:

Bern
Jan 8, 2007, 02:30 AM
Maybe it's not the iPhone..... maybe it's a super slim 12" LED backlit MBP with BluRay??? :p

Silentwave
Jan 8, 2007, 02:39 AM
The Mac blogasphere and MWSF would collapse in on itself and create a black hole destroying the Earth. In effect Jobs would doom mankind. :eek:

Actually, seeing how many old farts there are here in Florida, I'd say that the omg apple Fanboi™!!!!!!1!11one! crowd would buy so many that the profits would make them so rich that Social Security and Medicaire wouldn't need reform anymore!

mudger
Jan 8, 2007, 02:40 AM
Maybe it's not the iPhone..... maybe it's a super slim 12" LED backlit MBP with BluRay??? :p

that would suck

stefman
Jan 8, 2007, 02:42 AM
If SJ's excited more than usual I think the announcements are going to be earth shattering! :D

I.....can't........wait!:D

redAPPLE
Jan 8, 2007, 02:44 AM
SJ was also excited as he introduced iPod socks.

besides, i can't be excited when we don't have any elevator photos...

livingfortoday
Jan 8, 2007, 02:56 AM
Okay, I can't take it. I've decided to completely block myself from coming to MR until after the keynote. I will explode otherwise. It doesn't help that after the keynote I get to call AppleCare to see what they're sending me to replace my PowerBook (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3213441&postcount=49) with. Oh my.

boss1
Jan 8, 2007, 02:58 AM

That's because the camera to take the picture resides inside the boxes in the elevators. yep thats it.:rolleyes:

imacdaddy
Jan 8, 2007, 03:02 AM
It's gotta be the unvailing of the 30th Anniversary Mac or Leopard. Unless it's the ONE other product representing Apple's 30th Anniversary...not the Mac or Leopard.

Sit back and enjoy! :cool:

arn
Jan 8, 2007, 03:08 AM

this time we have shaky camera-phone video

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070107125530.shtml

arn

iMikeT
Jan 8, 2007, 03:14 AM
If Steve Jobs is excited, then I'm excited.

[Thinking outloud]: I'm going to keep a calm mind about the keynote incase of a let-down.

boss1
Jan 8, 2007, 03:16 AM
It's gotta be the unvailing of the 30th Anniversary Mac or Leopard. Unless it's the ONE other product representing Apple's 30th Anniversary...not the Mac or Leopard.

Sit back and enjoy! :cool:

I was actually thinking along the same lines. Reasons for inviting close friends, if said rumor is true, could simply be because it's a 30th Anniversary. While I have no solid reason to expect an anniversary product, as Apple has a history of producing, I wouldn't be surprised to see an anniversary iMac (being this is really the product that undoubtedly brought Apple back to life in recent history).

If such an iMac were on the horizon I wouldn't be surprised if it took form of the original teal iMac, but in a very flashy, luxurious fashion. Chrome comes to my mind but who knows.

imacdaddy
Jan 8, 2007, 03:18 AM

Here's Bill Gates Keynote at 2007 CES since you love Keynotes so much. :D [He even used "Keynote" in the name...lame]

http://www.microsoft.com/ces/

Waiting for the ondemand video so I can watch and laugh my @ss off. This should tie me over until SJ does a *PROPER* keynote which by then BGs keynote will be *NUKED*. :D :D :D :D :D

Here's Bill Gates Keynote at 2007 CES since you love Keynotes so much. :D [He even used "Keynote" in the name...lame]

WTF??? :confused:

Just clicked on the link and the title changed. Looks like they removed the word "Keynote" in the title. But do a mouse over Bill Gates and text to the right shows the original title. Hahahaha

Jan 8, 2007, 03:33 AM
I love how all the financial shows on TV are stating that if Apple doesn't produce an iPhone on Tuesday the stock will take a serious hit. Since when did rumors become facts? They're the ones who are pushing this on everyone... all these analysts speaking as if they've had a guided tour of Apple's top secret labs. Don't get sucked in by the hype.

newmoomin
Jan 8, 2007, 03:35 AM
Im sure Steve wants people there to say goodbye. I think he will take a leave from Apple and work as a advisor.

Thats the big thing he wants to bring people in for.

But as he is leaving, he will want to set Apple up how he wants it for the future and get the projects out that he has been working on.
I see more consumer electronics with a full ecosystem thing going on. Thats what Steve is excited about, bringing out a phone, ipod, TV box, and computers and working well together.

dalvin200
Jan 8, 2007, 03:37 AM
....Apple CEO Steve Jobs has invited all of his best friends to his MacWorld SF Keynote on Tuesday....

I'll be there then :D

CrackedButter
Jan 8, 2007, 03:41 AM
I've been looking at the countdown timer for the past 3 days thinking the Keynote was today (Monday). Now its tomorrow, its annoying me silly. I thought I could go to uni, then go to the gym, come back from the gym, convince myself that I wouldn't look at apple.com or macrumors.com then somehow do my coursework until the feed was on Apple's website.

But now, I'm just going to spoil myself rotten and come here...!!!

Jan 8, 2007, 03:43 AM
Im sure Steve wants people there to say goodbye. I think he will take a leave from Apple and work as a advisor.

Thats the big thing he wants to bring people in for.

But as he is leaving, he will want to set Apple up how he wants it for the future and get the projects out that he has been working on.
I see more consumer electronics with a full ecosystem thing going on. Thats what Steve is excited about, bringing out a phone, ipod, TV box, and computers and working well together.

A very special... Macworld. I can just see it now. He is going to make a tearful goodbye. Up on the big screen... iQuit

It's a good theory though. If he were leaving the stock would tank and they would want to show off a lot of cool stuff to offset this. Nah. I'm going to stick with low expectations for Leopard and iTV. Nothing more.

NAG
Jan 8, 2007, 03:49 AM
I really think all this hype is going to backfire and let us down yet again.

Porco
Jan 8, 2007, 04:08 AM
I love how all the financial shows on TV are stating that if Apple doesn't produce an iPhone on Tuesday the stock will take a serious hit. Since when did rumors become facts? ....

That's what the stock market is man, everyone guessing. It's gambling with a sharp suit and a tie :)

solvs
Jan 8, 2007, 04:11 AM
Apple products are always great. Plus a hundred dollars. And that one annoying thing that makes you want to wait for rev. b. When it isn't exciting anymore, and you're too busy waiting for the next big thing. Which will be great. Plus $100. But that 1 annoying thing...

Keep that in mind, and you won't be too disappointed.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 8, 2007, 04:12 AM
If he is so excited its got to be about entering a new market and the opportunities it can bring.

MacsomJRR
Jan 8, 2007, 04:14 AM
I'm thinking it's gonna be a giant moon-like space station equipped with a giant laser capable of destroying entire worlds. Probably going to be called the iMacStar. When the laser is fired and the planet explodes it lets off that Mac restart sound... doooooooooooooooooooooooong.

Or maybe an iPod Angstrom. A music playing device so infinitely small it is designed to sit directly on your tympanic membrane.

djejrejk
Jan 8, 2007, 04:23 AM

Waiting for the ondemand video so I can watch and laugh my @ss off. This should tie me over until SJ does a *PROPER* keynote which by then BGs keynote will be *NUKED*. :D :D :D :D :D

I just watched it,.. my skin is crawling. *shudders*

"Zune is already #2... " Laff

Uragon
Jan 8, 2007, 04:23 AM
my pprrecious, iPhone, give me my iPhone.....

Morris
Jan 8, 2007, 04:30 AM
I think Jobs is going to announce his retirement from Apple. He's tired of all this computer nonsense and going to focus on a fantastically new and shiny rendered version of Snow White. Or some other regular Disney crap for that matter.

dextertangocci
Jan 8, 2007, 04:30 AM
P.S. - you did a really great job on television a while back. You came across as the intelligent and well spoken person we know you are.

Suck up:p

I need to ask. Has anyone ever heard of an instance of a Mac user having a heart attack from getting overly excited about a Mac event?

Seriously because I think someone is going to explode before Tuesday. http://home.comcast.net/~jonnormand/icons/posting.php_files/new_microwave.gif

I just hope there is no one else around, because if this teasing continues my numbers suggest they will take out half a block. Never underestimate the energy released from a hyped up Mac fan. :D

I think I might explode:eek: :D I don't know what to do anymore, time is going SO SLOWLY. I dont know how I'm gonna sleep tonight....

dernhelm
Jan 8, 2007, 04:54 AM
But if we will all remember, Jobs also spouted effusively about the Segway, and we all know how that turned out.

:eek:

WTF??? :confused:

Just clicked on the link and the title changed. Looks like they removed the word "Keynote" in the title. But do a mouse over Bill Gates and text to the right shows the original title. Hahahaha

I'm missing something. You object to someone other than Apple using the term keynote to discribe a keynote address? Just because they call their software "Keynote" doesn't mean they own the word...

motulist
Jan 8, 2007, 04:57 AM
The big surprise product they're going to release is Duke Nukem Forever, iPhone edition.

dllavaneras
Jan 8, 2007, 05:24 AM
"[Jobs] was more excited about his current project than he was about the Macintosh."

Probably the boldest statement I've heard so far! If true, then it's really big :) I'm not keeping my hopes up, though

dernhelm
Jan 8, 2007, 05:33 AM

Great post. I'm coming up on 500 finally - and I think I found my avatar...

mavherzog
Jan 8, 2007, 05:44 AM

NOOOOO!!!!

Think you've got it bad? I'm in IRAQ!!! Good luck finding an Apple store around here. :)

palhen
Jan 8, 2007, 05:50 AM
I love how all the financial shows on TV are stating that if Apple doesn't produce an iPhone on Tuesday the stock will take a serious hit. Since when did rumors become facts? They're the ones who are pushing this on everyone... all these analysts speaking as if they've had a guided tour of Apple's top secret labs. Don't get sucked in by the hype.

This is why Apple has to release an iPod Phone, regardless if they had plan to do so,or not. The shareholders is also a huge customer, and the main target of the keynotes. Do not forget that. The keynotes are not for selling products, it's to sell the company, the Apple brand.

/Edit/ The decission to release an iPod Phone isn't even Apple's anymore. The shareholders demand an iPod Phone. Poor Jobs, he is not in charge of everything anymore. On the other hand, he could be behind the leaked rumors... :-)

/Henrik

pkis

NOOOOO!!!!

well, if only you had one of Apple's new iPhones with integrated mobile high-speed connection and web browser , then you would be able to follow the keynote WHILE you're in class or commuting!

GregA
Yeah.. could be retirement. We'll see. I wonder if that would be a "I'm sick, I need my time", or "I'm moving to Disney".

Then again, if we want to go out on limbs, Michael Dell is giving a presentation at CES, simultaneously with Steve Jobs. Maybe they'll announce that Dell will be selling Macs that fall between the MacPro and MacMini?!

mulletman13
Jan 8, 2007, 05:54 AM
Powerbook G5!!!!

... wait... ha... that is sooo two years ago.... :)

jive
Jan 8, 2007, 05:58 AM
But if we will all remember, Jobs also spouted effusively about the Segway, and we all know how that turned out.

The Segway is in Arrested Development. I rest my case.

RedTomato
Jan 8, 2007, 06:04 AM
Jobs will come out as gay.

(Relax Steve, we all already knew anyway)

brandon6684
Jan 8, 2007, 06:19 AM
It seems like for the past two years, I've spent the days leading up to a keynote or other Apple event calling people hoping for the iPhone morons, but I think I'll refrain from that this this time around. With the the the Way LCD TVs are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see TV sized displays(those I don't think they'll call them TVs, just big displays for your iTV), and HDMI input on all models, though the first part is more wishful thinking not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but I think the HDMI thing stands a good chance(didn't the iTV demo have HDMI), and start looking for HDMI output on Macs in the coming years, especially when Macs get BluRay/HD-DVD.

phillipjfry
Jan 8, 2007, 06:19 AM
I'm thinking it's gonna be a giant moon-like space station equipped with a giant laser capable of destroying entire worlds. Probably going to be called the iMacStar. When the laser is fired and the planet explodes it lets off that Mac restart sound... doooooooooooooooooooooooong.

And yet, something so massively destructive would still have a place to plug in your iPod...

I'm just banking on seeing a release date for Leopard, after that I'm doing a full conversion from PC to iMacs+products.
So much hype on the iPhone, I wouldn't be surprised if he just touched base on the progress of the iPhone and released something completely unexpected (you know, since everyone is expecting the iPhone now...)
With great anticipation, and rock hard nipples, I'm awaiting the keynotes for tomorrow. :D

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 06:28 AM
Think you've got it bad? I'm in IRAQ!!! Good luck finding an Apple store around here. :)No Apple store? I thought mission was accomplished.

tvguru
Jan 8, 2007, 06:29 AM
No Apple store? I thought mission was accomplished.

At least there's a Tim Horton's in Afghanistan ;)

CrackedButter
Jan 8, 2007, 06:31 AM

Did he?

http://www.37signals.com/svn/archives2/what_steve_jobs_is_like_in_a_meeting.php

“I think it sucks!” said Jobs.

The longer version of the story can be found here:http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 06:32 AM
The International Herald Tribune article originated with the New York Times (they own the IHT) and it appears in today's Times business section (page 1).

Phone will be a thin client running high-end apps (like Final Cut and the latest games) on Cupertino servers.

4np
Jan 8, 2007, 06:33 AM
Powerbook G5!!!!

This funny for a little while but now it is getting annoying... could we quit this stupid joke?

I just read this morning they want to make a segway illegal on public roads here in the netherlands. I wonder if they'll succeed...

Killyp
Jan 8, 2007, 06:36 AM
Probably the boldest statement I've heard so far! If true, then it's really big :) I'm not keeping my hopes up, though

Mind you though, was he really that excited about the Macintosh? I mean he knew it would be a pretty important computer, but surely he didn't realise just how revolutionary, influential and ground breaking it would be...

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 06:39 AM
“I think it sucks!” said Jobs.

Also: "It's like if Gates designed a motorcycle."

sishaw
Jan 8, 2007, 06:43 AM
Between rumor sites and financial sites, I've heard so much about the Apple phone that I can feel it in my hand...heck, I can almost make a call on it. It's beautiful!

Apple actually releasing the phone would be an anticlimax.

Killyp
Jan 8, 2007, 06:46 AM
Also: "It's like if Gates designed a motorcycle."

LOL Even funnier is the image of gates riding a motorcycle in leathers with a girl on the back (as if!).

mattyrocks
Jan 8, 2007, 06:47 AM
i already told my office i was not available between 12-2:30.yes. ill be busy praying :D

mattalici
Jan 8, 2007, 06:50 AM
Steve is going to step aside. Not down, just, aside, I think anyway. It's just this bad feeling I have... HELP ME. OH GOD. NO STEVE! DON'T!

His comments on the Segway, dead on. And I'm glad he said as much to a room full of guys who had probably staked the meaning of their entire lives on it... why? Because, nerds willing, it made them better designers.

The segway story illustrates exactly why under no circumstances, until the next chosen one has revealed himself, is Steve allowed to step down.

Does anyone know if Steve has a Padawan Learner?

CAN SOMEONE GET HIM A PADAWAN LEARNER? THANKS.

tvguru
Jan 8, 2007, 06:50 AM
i already told my office i was not available between 12-2:30.yes. ill be busy praying :D

And I've told myself I'll stay up between 3am and 5:30am on wednesday :eek: :p

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 07:00 AM
This funny for a little while but now it is getting annoying... could we quit this stupid joke?Newton G5!

bwintx
Jan 8, 2007, 07:04 AM
This funny for a little while but now it is getting annoying... could we quit this stupid joke?

The regular "PowerBook G5s next Tuesday!!" post is akin to many comments on Slashdot -- e.g., "You must be new here," "In SOVIET RUSSIA...," "I for one welcome our new [whatever] overlords" [etc.] -- it's part of the forums' environment.

Whether that's good is, of course, open to interpretation. IMHO, the longer you've been here, the more likely it is that you'll find it amusing; but YMMV.

failsafe1
Jan 8, 2007, 07:05 AM
Does Steve not invite friends in the past? Maybe he is happy that he feels well this year or something? Some reports are saying that the phone has not been approved for the US yet? I will be glad when this is all over. The hype machine rolls on. I want to buy my refurbed iPod and get on with my life:)

DonRivella
Jan 8, 2007, 07:11 AM
It can only be a Segway with an iPod dock.

Thrill us, Apple!

DarkNetworks
Jan 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
Steve is going to step aside. Not down, just, aside, I think anyway. It's just this bad feeling I have... HELP ME. OH GOD. NO STEVE! DON'T!

Probably down not aside.

Jan 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
If you were Apple, would you release a product that would have been the *perfect* Xmas present just a few days after the shopping season is over?
Wouldn't you think they would have done anything to put it on the market just a couple of weeks before?

I'm surely wrong, but this should be something bigger than a so-called iPhone.

No expectations, sung Mick Jagger...

DJ Flux

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2007, 07:20 AM
Does anyone know if Steve has a Padawan Learner?

Well, there is Phil Schiller, but he sucks at keynotes. The one person who could succeed Steve as far as keynotes are concerned is Scott Forrestall. He did great job during the Leopard-presentation at WWDC.

Morris
Jan 8, 2007, 07:23 AM
Phone will be a thin client running high-end apps (like Final Cut and the latest games) on Cupertino servers.
Yeah, I've always wanted to do some video editing on my phone while waiting for a train or queueing for the till at Tesco.

:cool:

DavoMrMac
Jan 8, 2007, 07:27 AM
If you were Apple, would you release a product that would have been the *perfect* Xmas present just a few days after the shopping season is over?
Wouldn't you think they would have done anything to put it on the market just a couple of weeks before?

DJ Flux

The fact that people have just spent their money on Chrimbo is a forgone conclusion, but the majority of these would have been standard consumers. The sort that would walk into PC World to buy a Mac (or PC) and may well have tried an Apple Store through recommendation. Or perhaps they bought an iPod as a gift.

The majority of people I come into contact with (outside of work) that own an iPod or perhaps a Mac of some description have no idea that new products are announced at dates and times that we Mac Fans know about in advance. They often do not even know who Steve Jobs is.

Example, a PowerBook user for a whole year, asked me if I would recommend he upgrade his laptop to a new PowerBook, this was about 3 months after the MacBook Pro was announced. When I told him about the change to Intel and the new models he looked blankly at me. When I said they were announced by Steve Jobs at one of his keynotes, he glazed over completely, "Who is Steve Jobs?" ... I had to contain my smile and explain to him.

So the new products, they will be announced and the majority will be none the wiser until they hit the Apple Store shelves.

dalvin200
Jan 8, 2007, 07:30 AM
you're all wrong i tells ya..

he's gonna put an end to all of this ipod madness..

there will be no more apple.. instead thinking differently to another organic fruit :) oPod, oMac etc..

and he will release oVista :D

k2k koos
Jan 8, 2007, 07:30 AM
I deliberately used a question mark in my title, if the device is what is being hyped, having phone in the name would be a bit of a shortcoming.
Well just have to be patient (one more day folks), and see what is coming at us. Who knows they'll use the name Newton again, as that doesn't have a bad ring in my mind. It was ahead of it's time, the technologies have matured and can be integrated with other functionality.

I'll stop speculating, nobody knows anything, until Steve Jobs tells us it's okay and tells us what we are to know.

MacVault
Jan 8, 2007, 07:31 AM
...A jump-to-conclusions mat (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/)! :D :D :D

BenRoethig
Jan 8, 2007, 07:39 AM

arn

That looks a lot like the ionic breeze air purifier than anything from Apple.

toolhouse
Jan 8, 2007, 07:40 AM
I'll be in line at 4:30 tomorrow morning to make sure I'm close to the stage!! My Treo 650 is a POS and has to go!!!

Machead III
Jan 8, 2007, 07:42 AM
Jobs will come out as gay.

(Relax Steve, we all already knew anyway)

Surely the most overused "joke" of the past 60 years.

Frisco
Jan 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
The big news will be an announcement that Apple is merging with Google!

wjdennen
Jan 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
Maybe his announcement is personal in nature, like he's retiring or taking a leave, as rumored? I'd want my friends there if I were making such an announcement.

BenRoethig
Jan 8, 2007, 07:48 AM
Well, there is Phil Schiller, but he sucks at keynotes. The one person who could succeed Steve as far as keynotes are concerned is Scott Forrestall. He did great job during the Leopard-presentation at WWDC.

Should Steve step back to a chairman position, let me put it this way, when was the last time you heard Steve Ballmer of Microsoft of Kevin Rollins actually doing a major keynote or presentation? Never. It's always Bill Gates and Michael Dell who do them.

The big news will be an announcement that Apple is merging with Google!

I don't think they'll merge, I do think we might be stealing their CEO.

puuukeey
Jan 8, 2007, 07:53 AM
Hoping for a FOLED display.
http://www.universaldisplay.com/photos/penanim2.gif

but I'll be happy with this.
http://www.megomuseum.com/startrek/images/tricorder.jpg

/not a startrek geek. but it seems to apply doesn't it?

virus1
Jan 8, 2007, 07:56 AM
it might have been said in the last 5 pages, but we all know jobs is very very secretive. how imo, he wouldnt be really really excited about anything that we have already heard about. i hope nothing was leaked about this upcoming... whatever.

apple is going to blow us out of the water.

Maestro64
Jan 8, 2007, 07:58 AM
..a very trusted (and extremely anonymous) source of mine in Silicon Valley told me recently that he has it on good faith that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has invited all of his best friends to his MacWorld SF Keynote on Tuesday. In Silicon Valley buzz code, that means he's got something really special to show.

I think we all know this is not true, it is well documented that anyone who has become friends with steve he ends up making them hate him. So I would imagine this is very short list of people.

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 07:59 AM

Ain't gonna happen, for now. Besides, Macworld is not the appropriate venue for such an announcement.

peharri
Jan 8, 2007, 08:00 AM
It seems like for the past two years, I've spent the days leading up to a keynote or other Apple event calling people hoping for the iPhone morons, but I think I'll refrain from that this this time around.

While I've tried to be more civil than that, I've agreed that an Apple phone would be an unlikely thing for Apple to release, and the only reason I'm keeping my mouth closed this time is the sheer wealth of (admittedly COMPLETELY CONTRADICTORY) reports pointing to one right now.

That said, whatever Apple releases stikes me as unlikely to be "just a cellphone with an iPod in it." If it is, I'll repeat all my criticisms thus far. Yes, I know some people think the current crop of phones are "too hard", what with their "Dial a number, or select from phone book, and hit send" UIs, but that isn't a sentiment shared by the majority of people, who will pass over a device that isn't given away free that's sold primarily on the basis of user friendliness or iTunes integratedness. And such a phone would be a disaster in terms of destroying the market share levels that have made the iTunes Store viable.

It's got to be better than rumoured, or it's got to be something else entirely.

ricksbrain
Jan 8, 2007, 08:02 AM
Temper with realism? We don't need no stinking realism! :p

MatthewCobb
Jan 8, 2007, 08:02 AM
Steve was also quite excited about the iPod Hi-Fi.

Don't cast a damper on the excitement! But just in case it does all turn out to be a damp squip, when's the next big show after MWSF? Can't wait for 2008!

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 08:04 AM
it might have been said in the last 5 pages, but we all know jobs is very very secretive. how imo, he wouldnt be really really excited about anything that we have already heard about. i hope nothing was leaked about this upcoming... whatever.

apple is going to blow us out of the water.

I don't think so. The only new stuff might be cool features about the expected iPod Phone. The rumors about the phone have been ongoing for a long long time now, and they are hard to ignore.

chuckiej
Jan 8, 2007, 08:06 AM
This is not the first MacWorld I've been interested in (I was awake at 4am watching the MRLive feed of the MacBooks being introduced :p), but this is the first one I'm actually anxious/invested in, because my credit card is out and ready to drop on a laptop and I'm looking at a MBP and waiting for Apple to convince me.

Um, If the current MBP doesn't convince you, nothing that happens tomorrow will either. They can only fit so much power in that little case and a Core 2 Duo seems more than capable for pretty much anything. ;)

Rocket Rion
Jan 8, 2007, 08:12 AM
And in other news, the Macworld keynote makes me excited in my pants.

tonythejetsfan
Jan 8, 2007, 08:15 AM

Hey! I like my ipod HiFi. (though I would have like it a lot more for $200 less.

Dagless
Jan 8, 2007, 08:16 AM
Haha. I've already got really bad heart palpitations as it is! It's my birthday today and was a financially good one :cool: I can't wait to see what happens. I'm not spending a penny until Apple lays its cards on the table, my 6gb iPod Mini is showing signs of ageing. Upgrade time :)

"First 30 years..." blah blah really adds to this. In the past 2 years of me using Mac and following rumours I don't think I've ever seen an event as hyped as this upcoming on! It's madness!

DavoMrMac
Jan 8, 2007, 08:17 AM
The iPod Hifi is good, but in my opinion needs a re-design, something sleeker and maybe even improved sonics.

virus1
Jan 8, 2007, 08:18 AM
I don't think so. The only new stuff might be cool features about the expected iPod Phone. The rumors about the phone have been ongoing for a long long time now, and they are hard to ignore.

that may not be it, though.

Porchland
Jan 8, 2007, 08:20 AM
I'm ready to be wowed.

Reality distortion field... engaged!

iSee
Jan 8, 2007, 08:23 AM
LOL

This item gave me a bigger chuckle this Monday morning than reading The Onion.

I love it when Mac feaver gets this heated... I've got the shakes and my iTemperature is 102 and rising! :D

johngordon
Jan 8, 2007, 08:31 AM

That's what I'd think too - I can't get excited about the phone, because a mobile isn't something I use much. The ITV we know about, but a. it sounded lower specced than most would want, and even if it wasn't there are other alternatives already available that are.

So my money might be on Leopard :

1. We've seen a taster, but presumably far from all.

2. Vista has just come out - which from the looks of it does play catch up quite a bit - with more iLife elements in the photo organisation, and moviemaker, dvd creation stuff. So unveiling, if not shipping, the full on blow-Vista-out-of-the-water-in-ways-we-hadn't-even-thought-of would be awesome.

Other than that this video iPod - no-one would be surprised to see it, but I don't think any of us have any firm thoughts on exactly how it will function. There was the touch screen option - but my first thought was that that was crap, because of on screen fingerprints. Then there was the convoluted thing where sensors were at the side that did different things depending on what you were doing at the time. Great, although still not convinced, as it sounds so fiddly. But it could be that Apple, being Apple, have indeed dreamt up an ingenious but simple UI that no-one has thought of yet.

Or some holy grail of wireless media involving the ITV, some new HDMI display, and video iPod, fully realising whatever it was that Gates was belthering about earlier.

So there's my 2 cents.

emotion
Jan 8, 2007, 08:37 AM

Because what they were selling in bucket loads before xmas (ipods) made them just as much profit. The ipod phone hype just fueled those sales.

virus1
Jan 8, 2007, 08:41 AM
Because what they were selling in bucket loads before xmas (ipods) made them just as much profit. The ipod phone hype just fueled those sales.

yeah. its like eating your young before you are hungry.

... .... ..kinda

Jeef690
Jan 8, 2007, 08:42 AM
If its the iphone, than it is purely an announcemen and not an official release. The phone may take months to become available to high demands. I am betting its the 6g ipod which may or may not be available this month. (prob by the end of jan).

Grimace
You need to release a product months before the holidays to create a real buzz if it is "new". Most consumers aren't going to drop $300 on something if it hasn't had a chance to circulate in the market and have people get excited about it.

Since Apple is touting the past as "just the beginning" - I think this is going to be a signature year. Steve may say that this is the year of _________. Whatever he says, I want it. :p

Stella

NOOOOO!!!!

Please do. Excitment ( when it comes to Keynotes ) leads to disappointment, disappointment leads to bitterness, and bitterness leads to whining on macrumors forums :-D

VoodooDaddy
Jan 8, 2007, 08:44 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care about an iPhone? Its not like I'm going to rush out and get it. And who's to say what carrier it will be with? Have seen it rumored Cingular which leaves me out. Most new, unique phones are exclusive to one carrier or another for a while. Not to mention unless you are due for an upgrade you'll likely be paying full price for it. And from the rumored feature set it will no doubt be $399+.

And maybe I'm just too new to the Mac scene but I just shake my head at comments like:

"I'm taking off work to watch the presentation"

"I'm so excited I might explode!"

"I'm so excited I wet my pants!"

And on and on. Get a grip people. I'm very interested in iTV but I'm not going to take off work to see if its release.

virus1
Jan 8, 2007, 08:47 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care about an iPhone?
umm..

:rolleyes:

..yep

;)

Georgie
Jan 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
I certainly hope that the iPhone is announced tomorrow. However it seems that it hasn't yet been approved by the FCC. At least no one has yet found documents released by the FCC (they're all public I'm told) indicating an iPhone-like device has been approved. I'm not too worried about this because, as Nokia and Sony-Samsung and the other handset makers know, the FCC releases often steal their thunder. So Apple may be holding off FCC submissions so they can announce it to a roar of hype and expectation.

Thus Apple may announce their iPhone tomorrow (pretty please) and then submit it for FCC approval, which means we must all wait a month or two before purchasing it. And that's a good reason to not announce the device for Christmas, because no one would be able to buy it, yet people might hold off buying a new iPod entirely. So Apple doesn't want to cannabilize their iPod sales with a product that can't be released for several more months.

That's one theory anyway. We'll learn more tomorrow!

Lepton
Jan 8, 2007, 08:51 AM
This is my last chance to mention this description of the Apple Handheld Device I expect to come out some time this year. The front is a 16:9 screen, it's a phone, media player, remote desktop that can control and transfer with Macs from afar, and more. HERE (http://tinyurl.com/y8rdcr)

psychofreak
Jan 8, 2007, 08:53 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care about an iPhone? Its not like I'm going to rush out and get it. And who's to say what carrier it will be with? Have seen it rumored Cingular which leaves me out. Most new, unique phones are exclusive to one carrier or another for a while. Not to mention unless you are due for an upgrade you'll likely be paying full price for it. And from the rumored feature set it will no doubt be $399+.

And maybe I'm just too new to the Mac scene but I just shake my head at comments like:

"I'm taking off work to watch the presentation"

"I'm so excited I might explode!"

"I'm so excited I wet my pants!"

And on and on. Get a grip people. I'm very interested in iTV but I'm not going to take off work to see if its release.

You do realise what kind of site this is?

virus1
Jan 8, 2007, 08:55 AM
This

huh?

Diatribe
Jan 8, 2007, 08:55 AM

But did Jobs invite all his friends for the socks intro?

To get you excited:

virus1
Jan 8, 2007, 09:01 AM
But did Jobs invite all his friends for the socks intro?

To get you excited:
no, allow me:

p0intblank
Jan 8, 2007, 09:02 AM
Wow, it sounds like something BIG is happening tomorrow! :D

I'm not getting my hopes up too much, though... updates in iLife '07 make me happy. :p I wonder what they're adding to iMovie.

CEAbiscuit
Jan 8, 2007, 09:09 AM
I really hope the iPhone is not the iMoan like the ROKR. Otherwise put my order in for iTV.

sesante2000
Jan 8, 2007, 09:10 AM
I still want the headless Imac. No, I dont mean a low end mac mini. I want a mac that uses the Conroe cpu and has upgradeable video. That would be my next mac.

johngordon
Jan 8, 2007, 09:11 AM
a redesigned iLife to look a bit more like Aperture's interface, with multi track functionality added to iMovie and some of DVDSPs themes introduced to iDVD...

that would keep me going for now, until I have the readies to upgrade to FCE / DVDSP proper at some point in the future, after I've splashed out on new MBP. ie not for a while unfortunately.

ready2switch
Jan 8, 2007, 09:17 AM
iPhone...eh, not that interested at this point in time.

I really think tomorrow's keynote will be about 3 things. Summary of the Intel transition and the roadmap ahead (penryn, yay!), iTV (with the announcement of the "official" product name and maybe even an available product), and Leopard's official release date with a FULL preview!

Since there is always "one more thing", I guess it could be the iPhone. But really the market is saturated with smart phones and PDAs, and I think Apple has been wise thus far to stay out of that game. I would really like to see the Mini get a makeover as the "one more thing" and it makes the most sense to me. The release of iTV would be a perfect opportunity to boost the Mini and provide a distinguishable gap between the two. I could even see them marketing them in conjunction. Mini in the office, iTVs through the house, room for all your media without a huge box under the desk, the tiny footprint of the new home networking strategy.

Of course then you'd need an update to Airport.

Works for me :D

yamson97
Jan 8, 2007, 09:17 AM
Powerbook G5 on Tuesday!!!! Yeah!!!!

iMan
Jan 8, 2007, 09:20 AM
Tomorrow - Apple will conquer the world.

It is big, and it will surprise everyone. Because everyone is looking in the wrong direction. Oh, yeah - there will be nice hardware.. but the big bomb is not.

Welcome to the new brave world of Apple.

What will totally upset a multibillion dollar market, making Apple completely dominant for the unforeseen future?

What is the thing people least would expect from Apple?

What would it take to make MS Apple's bitch?

How long since anyone noteworthy has released anything new in the DAP market - except MS?

What is Apples real goal? Achieving a 10% marketshare of Mac's, holding the 70% marketshare of DAPs - or... total control of the home?

I think Apple tomorrow will announce it's partners in a licensed FairPlay ecosystem; Creative, Sony, SanDisk, Samsung, Motorola, Movie studios, Record companies, TV studios... It will make the dominant platform for content the default - and there is nothing anyone can do about it. It will make Apple the Microsoft of the living room. Yes, Apple will profit huge - but it is the only solution for anyone to withstand a Microsoft that shafts its partners and more and more going for the hardware as well.

iMeowbot
Jan 8, 2007, 09:20 AM
I certainly hope that the iPhone is announced tomorrow. However it seems that it hasn't yet been approved by the FCC. At least no one has yet found documents released by the FCC (they're all public I'm told) indicating an iPhone-like device has been approved.
Many (it seems like most these days) FCC equipment applications include confidentiality letters. Applications and test results can be withheld from the public until a product is ready for release.

gloss
Jan 8, 2007, 09:22 AM
no, allow me:

lol.

stealthboy
Jan 8, 2007, 09:33 AM
I can only hope that the new iPhone is not linked to a particular cell carrier. The time of carrier-exclusive phones needs to end. Just make a generic GSM or CDMA device and let me decide who I want to pay for their network service. Maybe Apple can do this and finally cause a little stir with the cell carriers.

Diatribe
Jan 8, 2007, 09:33 AM
no, allow me:

Oooh, oooh, it's it's an iPhone... :eek:

:D Nice 1 Virus.

natejohnstone@g
Jan 8, 2007, 09:34 AM
It's a Sci-Fi fan's dream come true, and it all starts this year thanks to Apple....
I can't say too much, but I can tell you that this will begin the age of real-time video cell phones. We all know that the technology has been here for a while, it's just a matter of using it properly and marketing it well. Who market's better than Apple? An iPod Video Phone will have people lining up to plop down $600 before a fulll description is even available.
Just imagine standing in line at Starbucks and not just talking with your friend accross the country--but seeing them. "But we can already do that" you say. Yes we can, especially with iChat's video feature...which is basically what the iPod Video Phone will do.
Just when you thought Apple stock was too high to purchase...you ain't seen nothing yet. If they sucessfuly corner the market on this long-awaited technology the way they have cornered the MP3 player market...well, you won't have to worry about which carrier they will go with, because Apple will simply BUY the carrier of their choice.

Dagless
Jan 8, 2007, 09:34 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care about an iPhone?

I got a new phone 6 months ago so that'll see me through another couple of years. An iPhone does not really interest me, but the concept of it does. A phone, made by the company who make the most desirable MP3 player on the market... the potential for that device to be incredible is high.

I won't rush out and buy one though :) I like my ROKR.

Porchland
Jan 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
This is my last chance to mention this description of the Apple Handheld Device I expect to come out some time this year. The front is a 16:9 screen, it's a phone, media player, remote desktop that can control and transfer with Macs from afar, and more. HERE (http://tinyurl.com/y8rdcr)

That sounds like the holy grail for a handheld:

* small, clean, very "Apple" form factor;

* audio player, video player and phone;

* GSM and 802.11x;

* 2 MP still and video camera;

* great battery li-- oops, there it is!!

It's all fun and games until you get to the battery.

If Apple could work out the battery issues and cram all this into a little box, this would pretty much be the most killer handheld ever conceived.

Dagless
Jan 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
Tomorrow - Apple will conquer the world.

It is big, and it will surprise everyone. Because everyone is looking in the wrong direction. Oh, yeah - there will be nice hardware.. but the big bomb is not.

Welcome to the new brave world of Apple.

What will totally upset a multibillion dollar market, making Apple completely dominant for the unforeseen future?

What is the thing people least would expect from Apple?

What would it take to make MS Apple's bitch?

How long since anyone noteworthy has released anything new in the DAP market - except MS?

What is Apples real goal? Achieving a 10% marketshare of Mac's, holding the 70% marketshare of DAPs - or... total control of the home?

I think Apple tomorrow will announce it's partners in a licensed FairPlay ecosystem; Creative, Sony, SanDisk, Samsung, Motorola, Movie studios, Record companies, TV studios... It will make the dominant platform for content the default - and there is nothing anyone can do about it. It will make Apple the Microsoft of the living room. Yes, Apple will profit huge - but it is the only solution for anyone to withstand a Microsoft that shafts its partners and more and more going for the hardware as well.

I like people like you, SeriousGamer007 and them kind of people. They're like super hype generators.

Oh, and my guess? OS11 (XI?) is announced. Leopard to be the last OSX perhaps?
Though actually I doubt this myself. Seeing how advanced OSX is for the hardware its running on.

virus1
Jan 8, 2007, 09:37 AM
iPhone...eh, not that interested at this point in time.

I really think tomorrow's keynote will be about 3 things. Summary of the Intel transition and the roadmap ahead (penryn, yay!), iTV (with the announcement of the "official" product name and maybe even an available product), and Leopard's official release date with a FULL preview!

Since there is always "one more thing", I guess it could be the iPhone. But really the market is saturated with smart phones and PDAs, and I think Apple has been wise thus far to stay out of that game. I would really like to see the Mini get a makeover as the "one more thing" and it makes the most sense to me. The release of iTV would be a perfect opportunity to boost the Mini and provide a distinguishable gap between the two. I could even see them marketing them in conjunction. Mini in the office, iTVs through the house, room for all your media without a huge box under the desk, the tiny footprint of the new home networking strategy.

Of course then you'd need an update to Airport.

Works for me :D

you forgot ilife/iwork 07. those are definite.

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2007, 09:43 AM
Just imagine standing in line at Starbucks and not just talking with your friend accross the country--but seeing them. "But we can already do that" you say. Yes we can, especially with iChat's video feature

Um, I can already do that with a cell-phone. (http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_5477)

stealthboy
Jan 8, 2007, 09:45 AM
Since there is always "one more thing", I guess it could be the iPhone. But really the market is saturated with smart phones and PDAs, and I think Apple has been wise thus far to stay out of that game.

Remember when they released the iPod... There were other MP3 players already on the market, but none of them "got it". Apple came along and made it all "just work". I could definitely see them doing the same thing with the smart phone market.

ready2switch
Jan 8, 2007, 09:47 AM
you forgot ilife/iwork 07. those are definite.

I didn't forget them. I just rolled them in with the Leopard preview in my mind. :p

Harpy007
Jan 8, 2007, 09:50 AM
I really want a true video ipod and the movies/tv shows to be international. I want my season pass for 24! :D

ready2switch
Jan 8, 2007, 09:57 AM
Remember when they released the iPod... There were other MP3 players already on the market, but none of them "got it". Apple came along and made it all "just work". I could definitely see them doing the same thing with the smart phone market.

If anyone COULD do that, it would be Apple. But the MP3 market at the time was still in its infancy. Cell phones and smart phones are not. As I said before, the market is "saturated", meaning there are TOO many choices out now. Apple would have to do something truly innovative and nearly ideal to succeed in that area. Not to mention just about everyone has a cell phone, and most are locked into contracts. How many non-fans would buy out their contract plus purchase a $400 or more phone within weeks after the release? If Apple releases a phone and it's not a blow-out success in the first 6 weeks it will be called a failure, whether it truly is or not.

Once again, I think Apple has been smart to stay out of that game.

applekid
Jan 8, 2007, 09:58 AM
A device just happens to also make phone calls. That is my prediction.

A cell phone just sounds too iffy unless it really is that amazing cell phone that ceases the existence of other cell phones.

BillHarrison
Jan 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
What if, of all things, the big announcement is NOT hardware? Lets look at the current climate:

Apple has LOTs of mindshare, and has ported OS X to intel. They have a "New version" of OS X coming out. Coincidentally, so does microsoft. OS X is cheaper. In many ways, its better, especially for the home user. OS X Basically "works" on standard PC hardware, but for a few driver issues.

What if the big announcement, of all things, is a retail version of OS X for the common PC?! It would be a huge transition, but one that is PERFECTLY timed. Apple has let people use windows on its machines, it has the right machines, and now has some idea of how to keep its sales will stand up against computers that can now be basically compared to one another apples to apples.

I can't be the first person to have thought of this? In a few months Microsoft expects millions of people to fork over $$$ or more for vista, would that not be the PERFECT time for Apple to say, hey, look, we have a GOOD quality alternative?

Apple will always be in hardware, but now, its in "Designer" hardware, IE, stuff that I would buy from them just because of what it is, not because it runs OS X. For example, looking at the macbook, its the best, most attractive piece of hardware for that price. Sure, I can get a similair speced laptop for 699-899 from dell, but, it wont look as good, it wont have all the features, etc.

I dunno, anyone care to comment on this idea? I mean, hardware sales only take you so far. I would dare say opening up OS X to generic boxes would concievably improve Mac hardware sales in the long run.

It would certainly widen the installed base which is great for getting more programmers etc on board.

uNext
Jan 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
Nokia released a 5mp camera phone-mp3 player-video recorder & video player
with a 8gb harddrive. Qwerty Keyboard,wifi,bluetooth,video talk capability.

O.k that means in order for apple to claim INNOVATIVE this time aroundf they will have to top what was released already.

Theres a **** load of phones that already are 2-3 megapixels,mp3 players, video players etc.

Apple will have to do something very amazing for them to do what they did to the mp3 market. But like i said before the mp3 player market then was for the grabs-the cell phone market TODAY IS NOT UP FOR GRABS.

The only thing apple can really do is simply it to old skool toys level.
I mean cell phones now a days are so easy to use i really dont see how people can be expecting something EASY TO USE.

If some of you cant use a cell phone now then dont even bother commenting on a tech website AND I MEAN THAT SERIOUSLY.

P.S BILL i thought about that it makes a lot of sense. So i guess im not the only one with the same thought good to know :). Hardware sales is limited-software is totally dfirrent
while lets say 1000 apple customers purchase osx the ability to sell to 10000000000 poetntial customers is a major market share gainer and major profit.

Microsoft did not become a 200+ billion company by selling hardware tied down to their software only.

Xyl
Jan 8, 2007, 10:15 AM
If some of you cant use a cell phone now then dont even bother commenting on a tech website AND I MEAN THAT SERIOUSLY.

The people commenting on these forums are NOT the only consumers of cellphones...

With that said, I'm sure almost everyone here knows how to use all the main features of their cellphones, but don't, and that's the problem with cellphones today. They are loaded with millions of functions, but only half (or less) of them are intuitive to use on a regular basis.

However, on another note, I'm sure the average consumer doesn't even know that their cellphones have all these millions of features, and/or they don't know how to use them.

MrFirework
Jan 8, 2007, 10:21 AM
I know what Jobs is announcing tomorrow. It's going to be the iFork.

Fork.

MP3 player.

Cell phone.

All in one, stunning design.

Magic.

He'll be eating ramen noodles through the whole keynote with a STUNNING fork, then at the end he'll say "Oh, and one more thing." Pulling his fork from the ramen, and holding it to his ear, "Yes? Oh, hi Jet Li, yeah, eating with it now. Ta-ta. ::-pause-:: This is the iFork."

Mark my words, people. Mark my words.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 8, 2007, 10:23 AM
I don't know what will be released tomorrow, but just for a little historical perspective leading up to tomorrow's keynote keep in mind that just a few years ago so many MR members at the time...

LAUGHED at the original iPod proclaiming "How dumb. Another MP3 player. This is destined for failure."

Then a few years after that when the iPod mini was released a whole lot of MR members at the time...

RIDICULED it because it was "too expensive" compared to the larger capacity, and larger footprint iPod. No one was going to buy the mini because it was a "rip off" and too "girly."

So if you feel compelled to rip the iPhone, if, when, announced, just keep that in mind. History doesn't treat Apple naysayers very well.

shunpike
Jan 8, 2007, 10:25 AM
if he's excited it will be big I'm guessing a hand-held iTV+Mac compatible Hand-held PC (8gb) that works as a Pocket PC and a Phone and an iPod it will be slightly thicker than an iPod nano and slightly wider and taller too. this will run a watered down version of OS X.4 with a free upgrade to Leopard. It will be Mac and PC compatible and cost under £400 - IT will be the 30th anniversary Mac

bdj21ya
Jan 8, 2007, 10:28 AM
What if, of all things, the big announcement is NOT hardware? Lets look at the current climate:

Apple has LOTs of mindshare, and has ported OS X to intel. They have a "New version" of OS X coming out. Coincidentally, so does microsoft. OS X is cheaper. In many ways, its better, especially for the home user. OS X Basically "works" on standard PC hardware, but for a few driver issues.

What if the big announcement, of all things, is a retail version of OS X for the common PC?! It would be a huge transition, but one that is PERFECTLY timed. Apple has let people use windows on its machines, it has the right machines, and now has some idea of how to keep its sales will stand up against computers that can now be basically compared to one another apples to apples.

I can't be the first person to have thought of this? In a few months Microsoft expects millions of people to fork over $$$ or more for vista, would that not be the PERFECT time for Apple to say, hey, look, we have a GOOD quality alternative?

Apple will always be in hardware, but now, its in "Designer" hardware, IE, stuff that I would buy from them just because of what it is, not because it runs OS X. For example, looking at the macbook, its the best, most attractive piece of hardware for that price. Sure, I can get a similair speced laptop for 699-899 from dell, but, it wont look as good, it wont have all the features, etc.

I dunno, anyone care to comment on this idea? I mean, hardware sales only take you so far. I would dare say opening up OS X to generic boxes would concievably improve Mac hardware sales in the long run.

It would certainly widen the installed base which is great for getting more programmers etc on board.

If they announced this, it would have to be at least late 2008 before it was released. One of the reasons Apple computers work so well is because they control the hardware and don't have to write code that will run with a lot of different hardware. You may say that they could have been working on that for a while now, but they would still have to give at least a year or so for all the hardware manufacturers to write drivers for the hundreds upon hundreds of internal devices found in PC users machines.

My prediction: not going to happen anytime soon.

Zzzoom
Jan 8, 2007, 10:35 AM
given that the keynote is still 1 day away and the hype fastly approaching hyperbolic levels, the only thing that could really top it would be the release of os x for pc... which, as we all know, ain't gonna happen with jobs at the helm.

the keynote will focus on leopard (with possibly some *new* surprises) and iTV. i just do not see the iphone, yet.

cyberlarson
Jan 8, 2007, 10:35 AM
What about an announcement that the Beatles Catalog is going to be released on iTunes.

The Beatle CD's were discounted for Xmas, an indicator that something new is on the horizon.

digitalbiker
Jan 8, 2007, 10:36 AM

Jobs has a rotten track record for personally predicting the success of products. His personal favorites over the last decade have been The Segway, The Mac Cube, and Next computers. Most of the success of Apple came from the talented design team and brilliant engineers. Early on the success was due to Woz, who will always be the heart of Apple.

Jobs talent has always been smoke and mirrors deception, sales pitches, and spewing obscenities at employee's who he thinks are not making him enough money.

LastZion
Jan 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
If they announced this, it would have to be at least late 2008 before it was released. One of the reasons Apple computers work so well is because they control the hardware and don't have to write code that will run with a lot of different hardware. You may say that they could have been working on that for a while now, but they would still have to give at least a year or so for all the hardware manufacturers to write drivers for the hundreds upon hundreds of internal devices found in PC users machines.

My prediction: not going to happen anytime soon.

exactly. well put. And I for one hope it never happens. For the same reasons you site as the delay. You want something that works, you need control over the whole thing. No reason to associate your name and product with something you can't control

capran
Jan 8, 2007, 10:38 AM
I still want the headless Imac. No, I dont mean a low end mac mini. I want a mac that uses the Conroe cpu and has upgradeable video. That would be my next mac.

You beat me to it. That's the only thing I've been dying for. I'm so frustrated right now by the current offerings.

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 10:39 AM

My prediction: not going to happen anytime soon.Linux builds do this quite well - Apple can do this. All the hardware out there is supportable. Apple doesn't need to control the hardware - that's an old paradigm. Just a Rosetta to talk to existing Win drivers.

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 10:40 AM
What about an announcement that the Beatles Catalog is going to be released on iTunes.

The Beatle CD's were discounted for Xmas, an indicator that something new is on the horizon.

Beatles on iTunes would be excellent - I would buy so much stuff. Jobs loves the Beatles too and would dearly love to get them on to iTunes, if not, exclusively. So, you have a point - it may not be hardware based.

However, the Beatles said they will put their catalogue on to online stores but the material will be remastered first to suite the format.

kenaustus
I still can't believe the media exposure that Apple has received on the iPhone - all while refusing to discuss it in any way. That must kill some spirits in the competition, and (hopefully) soon to be competition.

While I would love to see the iPhone and iTV I would also love to see Steve J announce something totally out of the blue.

The only thing that we know for sure is that we'll see iLife 07 and iWork 07. Everything after that is gravy.

k2k koos
Leopard will , when released , need some serious eye candy and GUI 'surprises' to keep Mac OS X ahead of Windows Vista. Under the hood, I have no doubt that it is, but what people see and how they work with it ( I'm talking about Joe Average here) will have to be. Vista has updated Windows in such ways that it does come closer. It's media software is closer to the iLife suite etc. Eventhough most of it is 'borrowed' from OS X, our aforementioned Joe does not know that, or does not care. So reasons for him to switch are getting less in number. It's the simple reality. The only other option is to release OS X for all the other beige boxes out there, but I hope that doesn't happen. It will loose a little of the appeal that it currently has , besides, it will also create more compatibility problems, and that could damage OS X reputation. Apple has a good hold on the integration of hard and software, they need to keep that.

So Leopard, I am very curious what you have to offer to counter Vista, and slowdown it's rise a bit.

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 10:43 AM
There are already phones that do this - Video calls ( i.e., Nokia E-Series for one ) so Apple will not be the first.

The other person must already have a video enabled phone for them to be any use. At the moment, thats what they are - no a lot of use.

It's a Sci-Fi fan's dream come true, and it all starts this year thanks to Apple....
I can't say too much, but I can tell you that this will begin the age of real-time video cell phones. We all know that the technology has been here for a while, it's just a matter of using it properly and marketing it well. Who market's better than Apple? An iPod Video Phone will have people lining up to plop down $600 before a fulll description is even available.
Just imagine standing in line at Starbucks and not just talking with your friend accross the country--but seeing them. "But we can already do that" you say. Yes we can, especially with iChat's video feature...which is basically what the iPod Video Phone will do.
Just when you thought Apple stock was too high to purchase...you ain't seen nothing yet. If they sucessfuly corner the market on this long-awaited technology the way they have cornered the MP3 player market...well, you won't have to worry about which carrier they will go with, because Apple will simply BUY the carrier of their choice.

crispoe
Jan 8, 2007, 10:48 AM
As much as I am excited to see what Apple is going to bring out next, I am afraid that Jobs may be announcing his resignation (hence his closest friends being there). Pairing that with the exciting news of an amazing iPhone, it would be the best time to do so to lessen the blow.

I hope this isn't the case. I really hope it isn't.

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 10:49 AM
The other person must already have a video enabled phone for them to be any use. At the moment, thats what they are - no a lot of use.I remember when that's what they said about fax machines.

digitalbiker
Jan 8, 2007, 10:50 AM
Faint hope for an early Stoakley-Seaburg equipped 8 core Mac Pro for under $4k and a 100GB 640 x 360 one third HD Resolution Widescreen Video iPod for $399. :D

You guys see those numbers at MacPoll saying 34% want an iPod Phone while only 17% want a Video iPod and 9% want an 8 core Mac Pro and only 5% want new displays? This culture is going INSANE. I do not get it. The voters here have got to NOT represent the masses out there - no other explanation for such flipped numbers.

22% want an Ultra-Thin MacBook like that's gonna happen - right. :rolleyes:

I'm with you MM! How can only 9% want an 8 core Mac Pro while 34% want a friggin phone.

To me, phones might as well be disposable.

They all are useless in 75% of the locations where I spend my time. Most coverage is so bad, even national talk radio programs like ESPN don't want to except cell calls as NO one can understand them or they drop out.

Besides they are just friggin phones. The cell providers overcharge for useage, the taxes and service charges are incomprehensible, the bills are like receiving monthly phone books with listings of useless garbage, and the plans are ridiculously complex.

Jeef690
Jan 8, 2007, 10:51 AM
Lets not totally leave out the possibility that Leopard will be released early...Which seems (to me) to be quite promising.

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 10:53 AM
I remember when that's what they said about fax machines.

True, but you need the infrastructure first. In Europe and parts of Asia you'd be OK because of 3G. However, the infrastructure is still lagging in in North America so much video phones aren't going to be a lot of use- high speed networks are few and far between and so any video will be poor. Poor quality isn't in Apple's interest, they want good quality. You can be sure if the U.S isn't ready Apple won't release a product, despite other parts of the world.

iChat isn't that useful for video conferencing since iChat only works with, iChat.

peharri
Jan 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
There are already phones that do this - Video calls ( i.e., Nokia E-Series for one ) so Apple will not be the first.

The other person must already have a video enabled phone for them to be any use. At the moment, thats what they are - no a lot of use.

I think the people raising this are generally following an Ameri-centric point of view. Videophones are common on UMTS networks, but the US only has half a UMTS network at the moment (some of Cingular has upgraded to UMTS), the other so-called "3G" networks in the US are more 2G networks upgraded to have faster Internet access, with a few data-lead services built on top of that.

Videocalling hasn't taken off that well, largely because most people use phones to convey conversations that they don't want to necessarily see or be seen in. Especially when driving.

I think Apple is well aware of what's going on outside of the US and is highly unlikely to try to "popularize" video calling. (a) It sucks, no matter how good an interface you have for it, it'll only ever be used for a minority of calls, and (b) it's already out there.

Seriously doubt it's videocalling.

p0intblank
Jan 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
Lets not totally leave out the possibility that Leopard will be released early...Which seems (to me) to be quite promising.

I have Apple gift cards waiting to be used and I'd instantly use them on Leopard if released early. :D

gauriemma
Jan 8, 2007, 10:56 AM

Fork.

MP3 player.

Cell phone.

Magic.

He'll be eating ramen noodles through the whole keynote with a STUNNING fork, then at the end he'll say "Oh, and one more thing." Pulling his fork from the ramen, and holding it to his ear, "Yes? Oh, hi Jet Li, yeah, eating with it now. Ta-ta. ::-pause-:: This is the iFork."

I want the iFork.

emotion
Jan 8, 2007, 10:57 AM
So now all the nay sayers have told us that it's no an ipod phone, it's definitely not a small thin macbook etc etc I can reveal what I think it is:

It's the announcement of the Apple Hoverbike.

That should shake things up :)

I want the iFork.

Why limit yourself? iSpork would be much neater :)

Goldfinger
Jan 8, 2007, 10:58 AM
Videophones are useless. Most people aren't interested at all and mobile data rates are hidiously expensive everywere.

I can see it happening maybe 20 years from now but not today.

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 10:58 AM
Very much agreed - see my last post.

Apple is very much Ameri-centric - if the u.s isn't ready, Apple won't release a product.

if the infrastructure was ready in the states then such a feature would be a very good possibility, but alas, the u.s isn't ready, holding back the rest of the world ( in regards to Apple products ).

I think the people raising this are generally following an Ameri-centric point of view. Videophones are common on UMTS networks, but the US only has half a UMTS network at the moment (some of Cingular has upgraded to UMTS), the other so-called "3G" networks in the US are more 2G networks upgraded to have faster Internet access, with a few data-lead services built on top of that.

<snip rest>

psychofreak
Jan 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
I remember when that's what they said about fax machines.

And zunes...

MrFirework
Jan 8, 2007, 11:02 AM
Less than 24 hours!!!

Wooo-hooo!!

peharri
Jan 8, 2007, 11:03 AM
I think Apple should not release a phone but I do think Jobs should really annoy everyone tomorrow by making constant references to one. ie:

"I'm glad you could all come today. A year we'll be "ringing in" the new changes. And talking of ringing... our cash registers were ringing as we enjoyed record sales last year..."

"So, that's the new iTV, a device I'm sure you'll see is going to find its calling... and talking of calling, we're going to call it the iHome. Now, I'd like to show you some features of Leopard..."

"So iChat's new and improved Buddies feature is great, but there are other ways to communicate with your Buddies, and I think you all know what it is! Yes, we're improving Mail.app too with..."

"One last thing. Doesn't it annoy you when you're at the theater, and someone's phone rings? Well, can I ask the audience to turn off their phones for this part of the presentation. Thanks. Now, we've been looking at the iMac and thinking how can we make this better? And..."

(...etc...)

donlphi
Jan 8, 2007, 11:10 AM
Maybe it wasn't an Apple Phone that was going to be released, but a new version of Apple Talk that allows you to communicate directly with another computer via WIRE CONNECTION (two phone cords). Should be pretty awesome.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH:

Does anybody think it's going to be a new approach to a VOIP phone/service run through the .mac account?

With all of these companies comming out to give us TRUE anywhere service, like Clearwire, it makes me wonder if VOIP isn't going to be a better choice than cell phone connectivity in the future.

Just a thought... I would be pretty disappointed, but it makes more sense since the market for VOIP isn't overly saturated like the current cell phone market.

mooncaine
Jan 8, 2007, 11:13 AM
He's inviting all his friends. The Apple site hints that the past 30 years were "just the beginning", thus that something new, yet descended from Apple's family tree, will begin ....

I say it's that Steve is retiring and announcing his successor.

BillHarrison
Jan 8, 2007, 11:15 AM
exactly. well put. And I for one hope it never happens. For the same reasons you site as the delay. You want something that works, you need control over the whole thing. No reason to associate your name and product with something you can't control

While thats a bit of an elitist attitude, there is not much different apple would need to do.

Drivers are already written for the hardware in many systems, you would be surprised.

As far as "Control" what can you do? Apple can only go so far as a hardware vendor, that bothers to make its own operating system. Would supporting additional hardware add headaches for them? Sure! But would the extra work pay off?

I think so, but what do I know?

AndrewClarke
Jan 8, 2007, 11:19 AM
I'm with you MM! How can only 9% want an 8 core Mac Pro while 34% want a friggin phone.
While I can't speak for everyone, for me this would be because while I'd love to be able to afford a $5000 computer and a $500 phone, my Samsung Palm phone is years and years old, and my 1.67 G4 Powerbook is only a little over a year old. I have tonnes of processing power already sitting in my basement in the form of linux servers and don't really NEED a new computer. However, if they came out with a good PDA phone that would work with my service provider (Bell in Canada), which is very very very unlikely, I would almost certainly buy it.

Sure, if I was made of money I'd love a new Mac Pro but I just don't need it.

Goldfinger
Jan 8, 2007, 11:19 AM
While thats a bit of an elitist attitude, there is not much different apple would need to do.

Drivers are already written for the hardware in many systems, you would be surprised.

As far as "Control" what can you do? Apple can only go so far as a hardware vendor, that bothers to make its own operating system. Would supporting additional hardware add headaches for them? Sure! But would the extra work pay off?

I think so, but what do I know?
It wouldn't pay of. Most people don't buy windows and nor would they buy OSX. There are two options: they buy a computer that comes with Windows or they pirate Windows. A VERY small minority actually buys windows seperately. It would be the same with OSX.

carlgo
Jan 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
"One last thing. Doesn't it annoy you when you're at the theater, and someone's phone rings?

That is a clue. Aren't we all tired of iThis and iThat?

How about bQuiet? A device that can turn off all cell phones within a selected radius, or in another mode, can beam in on a selected phone and zap it. This device would be more popular than any phone.

Imagine zapping the phones of teenage girls driving their lifestyle cars too close to you in traffic, silencing loud self-important calls of wanna-be important people, calls of any look-at-me cell phone users, calls in airplanes...

Limitless sales opportunity. Making the world less annoying for the rest of us. What could be better?

Daringescape
Jan 8, 2007, 11:31 AM
I am excitied about all of the possible anouncements even though I wont be getting anything new.

I have a Razr that is under contract until June 08 (I will be getting an Apple phone after that if it is announced though)

I just got a 15" MBP - it's incredible

I have a dual 2ghz G5, which should last me at least another 1 1/2 years

I have a 30GB video iPod

I cant justify spending $299 on the itv right now.

I am probably most excited about the potential phone anouncement.

I just love to see Apple make progress.

mazola
Jan 8, 2007, 11:31 AM
... the big announcement is going to be a point upgrade to .Mac

Goldfinger
Jan 8, 2007, 11:34 AM
... the big announcement is going to be a point upgrade to .Mac

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

BillHarrison
Jan 8, 2007, 11:34 AM
It wouldn't pay of. Most people don't buy windows and nor would they buy OSX. There are two options: they buy a computer that comes with Windows or they pirate Windows. A VERY small minority actually buys windows seperately. It would be the same with OSX.

You might be surprised - A quick google revealed that Microsoft sold 850,000 RETAIL copies of Windows Xp within the first 2 months of availability. Thats nothing to shake a stick at.

I would guess windows retail sales probably rival total MAC sales. Remember, a very small minority of the VAST majority still equals ALOT of customers.

(Did that last sentence make sense?) :P

w00master
Jan 8, 2007, 11:40 AM

How about bQuiet? A device that can turn off all cell phones within a selected radius, or in another mode, can beam in on a selected phone and zap it. This device would be more popular than any phone.

Imagine zapping the phones of teenage girls driving their lifestyle cars too close to you in traffic, silencing loud self-important calls of wanna-be important people, calls of any look-at-me cell phone users, calls in airplanes...

Limitless sales opportunity. Making the world less annoying for the rest of us. What could be better?

These actually exist, except in the US, they are illegal.

w00master

phlavor
Jan 8, 2007, 11:41 AM
I don't usually get my hopes up about rumored products. I look at it like this; No expectations, no disappointments.

But I have been literally waiting for years for Apple to put out a phone. I mean that I am carrying around a Sony Ericsson t616 from when AT&T was a cellular provider. The joystick is broken. My son has been waiting since August for a phone because I Apple might release what I've been waiting for tomorrow. I am so excited right now that I could pee.

cynerjist
Jan 8, 2007, 11:42 AM

Yes!!!

aLoC
Jan 8, 2007, 11:43 AM
How about bQuiet? A device that can turn off all cell phones within a selected radius

That's a really good idea. And quite possible too - wouldn't an ordinary jamming device work? It just sits in your pocket and broadcasts noise on all the cellphone frequencies, so that no calls can get through.

Goldfinger
Jan 8, 2007, 11:43 AM
You might be surprised - A quick google revealed that Microsoft sold 850,000 RETAIL copies of Windows Xp within the first 2 months of availability. Thats nothing to shake a stick at.

I would guess windows retail sales probably rival total MAC sales. Remember, a very small minority of the VAST majority still equals ALOT of customers.

(Did that last sentence make sense?) :P

Point taken but, those 2 first months would be the early adopters wouldn't you say ? They had no other choice than buying it retail at that time. What happend after those 2 months ? 850k copies isn't all that much when you look at the total windows population.

Either way, I really hope that Apple never ever releases a standalone OSX for generic boxes. It would immediately kill the company.

dual64bit
Jan 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
Perhaps what is to be released is more simple than we are looking. Maybe it's just an early release of 10.5? Perhaps some other simple software app that Apple has created at helping our lives. It may not be hardware. I mean, perhaps the iTV or what-have-you... but there is a line.. in the sand dude.... that you do not.........

cynerjist
Jan 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
Either way, I really hope that Apple never ever releases a standalone OSX for generic boxes. It would immediately kill the company.

I would like to hear the argument for that.

shelterpaw
Jan 8, 2007, 11:48 AM
I don't know what will be released tomorrow, but just for a little historical perspective leading up to tomorrow's keynote keep in mind that just a few years ago so many MR members at the time...

LAUGHED at the original iPod proclaiming "How dumb. Another MP3 player. This is destined for failure."

Then a few years after that when the iPod mini was released a whole lot of MR members at the time...

RIDICULED it because it was "too expensive" compared to the larger capacity, and larger footprint iPod. No one was going to buy the mini because it was a "rip off" and too "girly."

So if you feel compelled to rip the iPhone, if, when, announced, just keep that in mind. History doesn't treat Apple naysayers very well. So we should definitely poo poo whatever it is to guarantee success. :p

You beat me to it. That's the only thing I've been dying for. I'm so frustrated right now by the current offerings. So you want a super fast small form factor headless mac that allow upgrades and the PowerMacs are too expensive. Sounds good, but unlikely, if I'm getting it right? :)

Linux builds do this quite well - Apple can do this. All the hardware out there is supportable. Apple doesn't need to control the hardware - that's an old paradigm. Just a Rosetta to talk to existing Win drivers.Linux is great in the server market. The desktop is so so. I have ubuntu and it works, but doesn't compare to OS X. If Apple released it and it was very stable with the plethora of third party drivers then it could be a good thing. However, Apple would have to expect the support calls to quintouple and therefor I think unlikely. Not that I wouldn't want it, but I'm trying to be realistic and perhaps play devils advocate. Would certainly be interesting and welcomed by a lot of people.

cyberlarson
Jan 8, 2007, 11:49 AM
What if they are going to release 10.5 to ANY Intel machine. That would rock things up

psychofreak
Jan 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
What if they are going to release 10.5 to ANY Intel machine. That would rock things up

Why intel only? Just as easy for AMD too...

rt_brained
Jan 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
Inviting all of his friends to hear his last Keynote address is also an unfortunate possibility.

Let's hope not.

Goldfinger
Jan 8, 2007, 11:52 AM
I would like to hear the argument for that.

The arguments have been given countless times before.

Apple is a hardware company, their hardware makes a ton of money, their software makes very little money. A retail OS isn't as profitable as a computer or maybe even a single iPod.

There is no guarantee that people will buy OSX for generic boxes, piracy WILL be massive.

They did it once, remember the clones ? They made it possible to license the OS. The clones were MUCH cheaper than the Apple computers and it almost killed them.

lorien
Jan 8, 2007, 11:55 AM

Wow yeah! Like one year free OS X system... Apple spreads its proverbial seed...then the following years people have to buy updates like the norm. So after one year gazillions of users decide they can't be bothered with Windoze after all and Steve Jobs becomes president, or something like that. :D

Poff
Jan 8, 2007, 12:00 PM
Wow yeah! Like one year free OS X system... Apple spreads its proverbial seed...then the following years people have to buy updates like the norm. So after one year gazillions of users decide they can't be bothered with Windoze after all and Steve Jobs becomes president, or something like that. :D

Or the free 10.5 on any PC, and then you'll have to get a Mac to continue enjoying OS X 10.6. :)

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 12:01 PM
The arguments have been given countless times before.

Apple is a hardware company, their hardware makes a ton of money, their software makes very little money. A retail OS isn't as profitable as a computer or maybe even a single iPod.That's why Microsoft will never make it. Making disks and cardboard boxes is too expensive.
They did it once, remember the clones ? They made it possible to license the OS. The clones were MUCH cheaper than the Apple computers and it almost killed them.No, that is simply wrong. Clones were not cheaper. Apple was already dying and customers sisn't want a sole source. The licenses were not for OEM software alone, but for hardware design. Nobody bought clones. Apple didn't have laptop or iPod revenue.

autrefois
Jan 8, 2007, 12:02 PM
Wow, even Steve is excited about the keynote this year! Maybe he's starting to buy into all these rumors that are going around... :D

It seems to be a given now that there are big things going to happen at this 2-hour keynote that his friends are attending. We know some of the big things (iTV, etc.), we think we know others (Apple phone, etc.), but I bet there'll be at least one or two things no one has thought of yet. Apple and/or Steve are trying to let it be known that people should pay attention to this Macworld in particular, and I think the buzz is working.

The biggest gauge of how Steve is excited will of course be how many times he says "boom" during the keynote. For WWDC 2004 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=908778&highlight=boom#post908778) I counted 31 booms, which I believe was a record. But records were made to be broken... :)

shelterpaw
Jan 8, 2007, 12:03 PM
Honestly I don't think it would be the best strategy unless you bundled it with iLife and iWork. Most importantly iLife, it's what makes the consumer Mac what it is. Professionals won't necessarily need iLife, but Joe consumer won't see the Mac for what it is without iLife. I think it only makes sense to give someone the full experience and give the basic user everything they need out of the box. Then they wont be running around looking for third party applications to view this document or to load their digital images. Most non-Mac-centric consumer have no idea what iLife is or how it works.

CrazyWingman
Jan 8, 2007, 12:05 PM

Fork.

MP3 player.

Cell phone.

Magic.

Wait! Don't forget the ForkPro, the metallic version.

...the iFork, of course, being the white plastic model.

dernhelm
Jan 8, 2007, 12:06 PM
Inviting all of his friends to hear his last Keynote address is also an unfortunate possibility.

Let's hope not.

My sole prediction. After the keynote there will be no fewer than 40 posts indicating how sickly SJ looks. How it is clear that he'll never make it another year...

shelterpaw
Jan 8, 2007, 12:11 PM
My sole prediction. After the keynote there will be no fewer than 40 posts indicating how sickly SJ looks. How it is clear that he'll never make it another year...
That certainly is morbid and horrible thing to say about anyone. :mad:

kjemtrud
Jan 8, 2007, 12:13 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3168733759916419298

That is one of the sickest looking phones I've ever seen! WOW!

goosnarrggh
Jan 8, 2007, 12:13 PM

There are already companies who'll "paint" interiors (eg. of movie theaters) with a special membrane which has copper filaments woven through it. Think paint-on Faraday cage.

The effect is a very nice RF shield which will prevent cell phone signals from getting in or out. Add to this a switchable antenna bridging the cage, which can be activated in case of emergency so people can still call 911, and I'd say that problem is totally licked!

I'd personally like to see a cell-phone blocker built into every automabile. As long as the ignition is turned on, cell phones turn off!

DarkNetworks
Jan 8, 2007, 12:15 PM

Possible...Possible...xD

DavoMrMac
Jan 8, 2007, 12:18 PM
I do not know Steve personally, but having run my own website (www.geekanoids.co.uk) for over a year now I have followed things very closely.

Steve inviting all his friends, well maybe this does indicate a personal announcement, but don't forget his illness was of the non-fatal kind, the sort that could be cured. He has come back with full strength and his last keynote was probably just suffering a cold which people read to much into.

He may stand down sometime, but I doubt it would be this year.

Goldfinger
Jan 8, 2007, 12:19 PM
That's why Microsoft will never make it. Making disks and cardboard boxes is too expensive.
An OS costs a ton of money in R&D + Windows isn't MS's cash cow. Office and support programs for Windows are.

Peace
Jan 8, 2007, 12:20 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3168733759916419298

That is one of the sickest looking phones I've ever seen! WOW!

It's also one of the oldest "conceptual" videos out there.

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on one tiny thing.

Jobs is secretive.We all know that.So what does he do ?? 6 months ago he showed us a prototype device that he "doesn't normally show".The iTV.
WHY did he do that ?
WHY give a heads up to competition on a device that can change the living room?.So they can make one too ?..That's what's happening at this years CES.Every company and their brother are coming out with a streaming device for your TV.

WHY would Apple do this?

Simple answer..

It's a smokescreen.It's designed to throw off the competition.Which it has done..

Now lets see what the REAL device is eh? ;)

BillHarrison
Jan 8, 2007, 12:22 PM
An OS costs a ton of money in R&D + Windows isn't MS's cash cow. Office and support programs for Windows are.

But, the OS is already developed. The R&D is already taking place, save for the additional hardware support needed. So in a way, your pointing out that the best thing to do WOULD be to share that load by opening it up to more buyers, and turning iLife / iWork into cash cows.

:D

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2007, 12:23 PM
That's why Microsoft will never make it. Making disks and cardboard boxes is too expensive.

Microsoft "made it", countless other software-companies did not. And Microsoft made it by using questionable business-practices. When Microsoft took over the industry, they were basically the only company providing OS'es to PC's, so they had the benefit of starting from a clean slate. OS X would go against a very entrenched monopoly-product. I have watched Linux in this arena for quite some time now. And fact is that on the desktop, Linux mops the floor with Windows. It really does. Yet Linux has VERY hard time getting to the desktop. Yes, it is happening, but it's happening slowly. And this is with a product that is better than Windows, and it's free.

Taking on an entrenched competitor in the desktop-arena is VERY difficult. Add to that the fact that the entrenched player is willing to resort to just about every possible means to destroy you. Linux has so far faced veiled threats of patent-litigation, Microsoft-funded legal attacks through a proxy (SCO), millions of dollars being thrown at customers who consider switching, relentless political lobbying, humungous marketing-budget, nonexistant interoperability etc. etc. etc. You have a VERY hard fight ahead of you.

If Apple started selling OS X to OEM's, it would basically mean end to the Mac. OS X might survive, Mac would not.

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 12:24 PM
Steve inviting all his friends, well maybe this does indicate a personal announcement, but don't forget his illness was of the non-fatal kind, the sort that could be cured. He has come back with full strength and his last keynote was probably just suffering a cold which people read to much into.I hope he does a feat of physical prowess.

In his way, Mr. J will conquer the world.

Evangelion
Jan 8, 2007, 12:26 PM

Microsoft has two cash-cows: Windows and Office. Just about everything else they do loses money. And lots of it. They can do that because both Windows and Office earn them OBSENE amounts of cash. I believe their profit-margins on both products is around 80%. IIRC, Apple's profit-margin is around 20%.

Monopoly does wonders to the bottom-line ;).

Belly-laughs
Jan 8, 2007, 12:26 PM
If Jobs is as excited as sources claim, I believe it has to do with a market that is huge – the home. Perhaps what we´ll see is some kind of complete wireless solution for the home. A remote that controls other (Apple) products in the home, be it the iTV, iPod wireless speakers, Macs. And lights, heating, security cams. The remote could well be a new iPod and/or the phone.

Apple is keen to serve personal media, and without the ability to control the system from the comfort of the sofa, no-one will buy.

The iPod home is social, the Mac (or PC) is just the anti-social piece of the puzzle – more a content server, perhaps not even necessary.

Skull Leader
Jan 8, 2007, 12:27 PM
but I'll be happy with this.
http://www.megomuseum.com/startrek/images/tricorder.jpg

The only thing more impressive that Apple unveiling a TRICORDER would be if they BEAMED Phill Schiller on stage to demo it!

And you thought that 802.11n would be impressive....:D

macnews
Jan 8, 2007, 12:27 PM
I have to admit, I didn't think about Job's moving aside or stepping down until I read some posts on here. After a while, it started to get me down because hey - I like Jobs and what he has done for Apple. If he did move aside, things would be tough and that made me think...

Jobs will not step down or aside at a Keynote like this. Why? Why would he? What purpose would it serve - granted besides his own ego?

I mean where would you put such an announcement that it wouldn't over shadow EVERYTHING else?! The "one more thing?" Don't think so. At the beginning? Hardly, all the reporters would exit the show to file "breaking news" briefs. No matter where you would announce it, his pride and joy, the company and products he was worked to build up would play second fiddle.

The above scenario just doesn't make ANY business sense.

Now, for those saying he would do it soley for the ego - think again. Yes, it would be big and as I mentioned over shadow everything else. However, this is a place for other vendors, products and announcements. Those will get some play time as well. If this is done just for ego, I can't see him sharing the spot light at all - I mean if he really is THAT ego centric.

So either way, it just doesn't fly. Instead, it sounds like some proud father saying "hey, come look at my great kid!" That I can see. Retire/step down - not at this keynote.

crispoe
Jan 8, 2007, 12:28 PM
OS X on PCs

I thought about this as well.
That would be one secret apple would want to keep until after vista was finalized.

As far as apple losing their hardware business- I really doubt it. Sure it may take a small hit, but as Apple becomes more and more a consumer electronics company, the pipeline is going to grow and they may be able to afford to sell less Mac HW (even though they won't). Macs are now comparable to other computer manufacturers in terms of price, but Apple still leads the way when it comes to hardware design, looks, and brand. Macs will still sell even if you can run Mac OS X on a Dell. People love the sexiness of the Mac, and I don't think thats about to change. Competition is good thing, and will keep Apple being innovative on the Mac Hardware.

Apple would need to implement something to battle piracy for the Mac OS, if they were to release it for all PCs. They would also need to greatly increase the support and QA staff around OSX because of new drivers etc that would be needed to ensure stability.

I don't expect them to license the OS to Dell or any other manufacturers to be included with a new computer, without a big premium. It would strictly be a packaged standalone product.

If this is true.. if you were in the market for a new computer, it would probably be cheaper just to buy a mac, than to buy a dell and then buy OS X/iLife.
But for those of us who have PCs and want OS X, we need to pay the $199 for the license. Then we need to spend another $79 for iLife.

If they really wanted to ensure stability for there Pro Line of applications (Final Cut) they could use the TPM module in Macs to only let Pro Applications run on Mac Hardware. Just an idea.

I doubt it will happen but it would certainly stir up the sh*tshorm.

Xyl
Jan 8, 2007, 12:29 PM
But, the OS is already developed. The R&D is already taking place, save for the additional hardware support needed. So in a way, your pointing out that the best thing to do WOULD be to share that load by opening it up to more buyers, and turning iLife / iWork into cash cows.

The only reason Microsoft's software is a cash cow for them is because they are charging ridiculous amounts of money for it. For example, the version of Vista without any missing features is 400 USD. Mac OS X Leopard (which doesn't have any 'missing features' versions) costs a third of that. In this case, selling OS X for PCs won't make Apple lots of money, unless they also charge 400 USD per license.

skunk
Jan 8, 2007, 12:29 PM
Jobs will not step down or aside at a Keynote like this. Why? Why would he?He may not have any choice in the matter if the SEC find any bloodstains on his carpet.

Jan 8, 2007, 12:31 PM
Perhaps what is to be released is more simple than we are looking. Maybe it's just an early release of 10.5? Perhaps some other simple software app that Apple has created at helping our lives. It may not be hardware. I mean, perhaps the iTV or what-have-you... but there is a line.. in the sand dude.... that you do not.........

I just would like to share some thoughts with you, after having talked to SJ yesterday...he told me the following things will appear tomorrow, in the sequence described below:

1st hour -

1 - State of all things Mac;

2 - Leopard preview;

3 - Updated Minis with Core 2 Duo;

4 - New MBP 12/13";

5 - And one more thing for Macs...30th Anniversary Mac (Frogdesign form factor and extreme GPU);

2nd hour -

6 - State of all things iPod;

7 - New movies at iTMS and Beatles catalog;

8 - iTV;

9 - and one more thing...the iPod Phone!

Now for the BIG NOs:

NO MacPro Octo

NO vPod

NO Leopard release

NO OS X on PCs

NO Jobs stepping down.

Guest appearance of Woz as well...just wait and see... :rolleyes:

Machead III
Jan 8, 2007, 12:34 PM
The most important addition to Apple, the one that would benefit the consumers, the staff, the shareholders and everyone in the world for that matter, wouldn't be a phone, or a widescreen iPod, or a HD display - it'd be a roadmap to minimising the companies C emissions and increasing equality within it's economy, ie. right down to the assemblers at the plant.

That's not something I could go to a store and pick up, or carefully unwrap, but it's more important than everything ever announced at a MacWorld combined.

But hey, this is an American company, so I guess I'll have to make do with the short term material satisfaction of a smartphone and new UI graphics - which would be substantial mind you.

But short term...

ie. before earth = mars.

BenRoethig
Jan 8, 2007, 12:36 PM

If Apple were to license OSX, the release of 10.5 would be the right time. While releasing OSX for all BIOS based PCs is neither practical nor desirable, between OSX10.5, bootcamp, and Intel's EFI firmware and chipsets Apple is in a good position to offer a licensing program on its terms with little added effort from either Apple or the PC makers to make it effective. The drivers already have to exist for Apple's own hardware to work.

JRM PowerPod
I just would like to share some thoughts with you, after having talked to SJ yesterday...he told me the following things will appear tomorrow, in the sequence described below:

1st hour -

1 - State of all things Mac;

2 - Leopard preview;

3 - Updated Minis with Core 2 Duo;

4 - New MBP 12/13";

5 - And one more thing for Macs...30th Anniversary Mac (Frogdesign form factor and extreme GPU);

2nd hour -

6 - State of all things iPod;

7 - New movies at iTMS and Beatles catalog;

8 - iTV;

9 - and one more thing...the iPod Phone!

3rd HOUR:

We all wake up

:p

MacinDoc
Note that the following is simply idle speculation. Caution: too much idle speculation just 1 day prior to MWSF may be hazardous to your health, especially if it leads you to expect too much...

If this is true, and SJ is really that enthusiastic about this device, I wonder if it is the long-awaited Apple phone. I just can't see SJ getting that excited about the iTV.

Now, keep in mind that Apple is all about vertical integration. The iPod is not successful because it is the cheapest or the most tricked-out MP3 player, but because of its integration with iTunes. We love the Mac because the Mac and OS X were designed to work together. So, Apple won't just introduce another consumer phone, or even an MP3 player/phone, because the only advantage this would provide would be that you would have one less thing to carry around. If SJ is excited about this, it is because he thinks this device will change the way we do things, and help Apple to grow both in sales and in public awareness.

So how could a phone do this? It would have to allow for total integration with your home computer. So, a PDA with some form of OS X Lite would make sense. Perhaps with up to 8 (or 16?) MB of flash memory, which would have to be shared between the OS, contact lists and iTunes. So, it would have some limitations as an MP3 player, since this would not be its primary purpose. This would have the added benefit of not eating too much into the iPod market.

The really exciting this about this would be that if it were successful, it could also drive Mac sales. The question is, will there be enough of a market for this phone if the additional connectivity/functionality only works if you have a Mac, and would PC owners buy the phone just for its built-in features? And having bought it, will some PC owners opt to purchase a Mac for the added functionality?

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 12:37 PM
In this case, selling OS X for PCs won't make Apple lots of money, unless they also charge 400 USD per license.Don't make me come over there and give you an economics lesson. Profit is marginal profit TIMES sales volume and you can make more at $99 than at $400 on a product that has close to zero marginal cost. It's called elasticity of demand. And Microsoft cannot sell at $400 if Apple comes in at $99.

twoodcc
Jan 8, 2007, 12:37 PM
and the unrealistic hype continues.... :)

arn

we can hope, can't we? ;)

Rocketman
Jan 8, 2007, 12:41 PM

arn

Doesn't ANYONE have a 3 year old Sony camera that happens to take 480 video?

I of course assume NOBODY has a real camera with HD+ to capture any of these "scoop" images.

Rocketman

donlphi
Jan 8, 2007, 12:42 PM
The most important addition to Apple, the one that would benefit the consumers, the staff, the shareholders and everyone in the world for that matter, wouldn't be a phone, or a widescreen iPod, or a HD display - it'd be a roadmap to minimising the companies C emissions and increasing equality within it's economy, ie. right down to the assemblers at the plant.

That's not something I could go to a store and pick up, or carefully unwrap, but it's more important than everything ever announced at a MacWorld combined.

But hey, this is an American company, so I guess I'll have to make do with the short term material satisfaction of a smartphone and new UI graphics - which would be substantial mind you.

But short term...

ie. before earth = mars.

HEY TREE HUGGER... don't rain on my parade. Let's save the environment on Tuesday, after the announcement. I'm sure that Samsung, microsoft, dell, and HP have already made those enviromental announcements at CES.

Don't kill the vibe yet, wait until everybody starts complaining that they didn't get what they wanted at Macworld.

Maestro64
Jan 8, 2007, 12:42 PM

The only flaw in the logic is the majority of Apple's sales today and the inflated stock price is based on hardware sales now and in the future. If apple did this the market reaction would not be good (speaking of stock owners) they would see this as a loss of revenues and it would take years to recover the lost hardware sales with a new software revenue model.

Remember Apple dominates its space in the market because they control the total experience. Doing this will cause the experience be less and as users experience problems with the OS due to minor differences in hardware they will blame and hold Apple responsible for things outside of their control. Just look at the PC industry, you buy a computer put software on it, update the OS, update drivers, install new hardware and when you have a problem all the different manufacturers involved or who you think are causing the problem all point the finger at the other guy. They can do this since it is very hard to tell who is really at fault.

You do not have that problem with Apple, thus the reason for Apple success people who own a PC are going throught what the auto industry did in the 70's why do I have to put up with problems when I can buy from someone else who take full responsible for what I bought of them. That is what Ford & GM are dying because auto companies who care about your driving experience from start to finish.

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 12:43 PM
The most important addition to Apple, the one that would benefit the consumers, the staff, the shareholders and everyone in the world for that matter, wouldn't be a phone, or a widescreen iPod, or a HD display - it'd be a roadmap to minimising the companies C emissions and increasing equality within it's economy, ie. right down to the assemblers at the plant.Regardless of how much carbon is emitted making computers, the Internet, by cutting transportation waste, is doing more to limit C emissions than any factor other than green plants and algae.

BenRoethig
Jan 8, 2007, 12:45 PM
OS X on PCs

I thought about this as well.
That would be one secret apple would want to keep until after vista was finalized.

As far as apple losing their hardware business- I really doubt it. Sure it may take a small hit, but as Apple becomes more and more a consumer electronics company, the pipeline is going to grow and they may be able to afford to sell less Mac HW (even though they won't). Macs are now comparable to other computer manufacturers in terms of price, but Apple still leads the way when it comes to hardware design, looks, and brand. Macs will still sell even if you can run Mac OS X on a Dell. People love the sexiness of the Mac, and I don't think thats about to change. Competition is good thing, and will keep Apple being innovative on the Mac Hardware.

Apple would need to implement something to battle piracy for the Mac OS, if they were to release it for all PCs. They would also need to greatly increase the support and QA staff around OSX because of new drivers etc that would be needed to ensure stability.

I don't expect them to license the OS to Dell or any other manufacturers to be included with a new computer, without a big premium. It would strictly be a packaged standalone product.

If this is true.. if you were in the market for a new computer, it would probably be cheaper just to buy a mac, than to buy a dell and then buy OS X/iLife.
But for those of us who have PCs and want OS X, we need to pay the $199 for the license. Then we need to spend another $79 for iLife.

If they really wanted to ensure stability for there Pro Line of applications (Final Cut) they could use the TPM module in Macs to only let Pro Applications run on Mac Hardware. Just an idea.

I doubt it will happen but it would certainly stir up the sh*tshorm.

Apple could do this by mandating its EFI implementation instead of BIOS and the use of specific intel reference designs. At the end of the day, Apple has as much to fear from Dell or HP selling OSX as BMW does the 2008 Malibu taking way 5-series customers. Completely different markets for different people.

GrannySmith_G5
Jan 8, 2007, 12:47 PM
We all know that at least half the Keynote will be iLife 07 demos. With a fair amount of water consumption as well.

DavoMrMac
Jan 8, 2007, 12:48 PM
For those interested in Steve Jobs this book was a great read. I don't read much, but it gave a good insight into how Steve works and his ethics.

http://www.wikidesign.co.uk/Geekanoids/2006/10/icon-steve-jobs-good-read.html

If you pick one up now, it might help pass some hours until the Keynote begins.

Xyl
Jan 8, 2007, 12:50 PM
Don't make me come over there and give you an economics lesson. Profit is marginal profit TIMES sales volume and you can make more at $99 than at $400 on a product that has close to zero marginal cost. It's called elasticity of demand. And Microsoft cannot sell at $400 if Apple comes in at $99.

I'm pretty sure Vista has a higher profit margin than OS X, when it's at 400 vs 129 - and Vista will also easily outsell OS X simply because of the fact that the majority of your average consumer has never even heard of the words "OS X".
Second, if Vista reduces their prices, then the average consumer won't even glance at OS X, since these consumers are already all entrenched in the Windows world - and still think that switching to a Mac OS would cause compatibility issues etc. The only way for consumers to contemplate OS X is a viable option is if it's a lot cheaper than Vista.

So my point is - if prices are kept as is, and OS X is sold to PCs as well, OS X will gain marketshare (most likely). But, Apple won't make lots more money, unless the marketshare becomes quite substantial.

guzhogi
Jan 8, 2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know if Apple will license Mac OS X to generic PCs and how that'll affect Apple, but I'd love to build my own computer. While I like the style of Macs, I'd like to add more hard drives & DVD/CS-ROMs w/o having to get external ones that clutter up my desk.

Also, check out TV shows, commercials & movies. Pretty much whenever a computer is in the shot, it's a Mac. Examples: The Devil Wears Prada, Seinfeld (which had several different kinds of Macs throughout the series). If Apple DOES license Mac OS X, a lot of people will still buy Macs because 1) they're stylish and 2) a lot of people are too lazy or whatever to have to go to Dell or where ever and then to the Apple store to buy Mac OS X. With people like my dad who don't know anything about computers except word processing and surfing the web, they just don't know what to look for and would just go to an Apple store and buy a Mac that suits their needs. Most people I know don't know what Blu-Ray is or how much RAM they need or whatever. ALl they know is that they want a computer that's easy to use and doesn't need a 400 page user's manual.

Maestro64
Jan 8, 2007, 12:58 PM
And you thought that 802.11n would be impressive....:D

The only problem is that 802.11n is not ready for prime time, I just saw a tech presentation from the major suppliers of 802.11n and it can not support the bandwidth it offers pass about 25 ft in a normal home. What I mean by normal is your post 1970's wood framed USA house if you get into an older homes with plaster walls or your European concrete or brick contruction I double it will be able to do much more than 25 ft.

Because of this current limitation, this puts doubts on the iTV, if they use 802.11n or g there is no way you could stream HD video from you computer. You need the higher bandwidth that 802.1.n offers but it has be able to offer it at greater distances they 25ft. everything is going HD now and you need lots of bandwidth to stream HD content. I think this is the reason apple is offerinf the Enet port on the iTV, that is the only way to guarratee the bandwith. I bet Jobs demo video content that is HD but I bet it will be hardwired.

crispoe
Jan 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
He may not have any choice in the matter if the SEC find any bloodstains on his carpet.

Eric Schmidt interim-CEO.

he could take over Jobs' annual salary.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/08/technology/google_salary/

MacsAttack
Jan 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
Don't make me come over there and give you an economics lesson. Profit is marginal profit TIMES sales volume and you can make more at $99 than at $400 on a product that has close to zero marginal cost. It's called elasticity of demand. And Microsoft cannot sell at $400 if Apple comes in at $99.

Don't make me comve over there and give you a leasson in reality... :D

Microsoft have three (3) sources of income for Windows.

1. Pre-installed. Try buying a machine without Windows on it. Unless you buy Apple, it is not very easy. MicroSoft make much of their OS revenue from this stream. Entering into this market is not easy as most manufacturers will not go near another OS for fear that M$ will cut them off. M$ has been found guilty of doing this very sort of thing in the past.

2. Corporate Accounts. This is where the big money is. M$ got lots of corporates to sign up for this multi-year deal where they were supposed to get all the new versions of Windows for the duration. Vista was pushed out just within the period most had signed up for so M$ could say they actually got something for all the millions they had paid. M$ sales people must be laughing the asses off about getting away with that one.

3. Upgrades/Homebuilders - Few people bother to upgrade Windows. They ususally get a new verson with their next machine. Or they used a pirate copy. This is the market Apple would have to chase. it is not a very profitable one. Add to that the nighmares of having to supports all those frankinstein configurations out there and very quickly you have a "market best not entered into"

And that is why Apple (correctly) is not selling OS X. It is used to add value to hardware (people can't pirate hardware).

OmegaDelta
Jan 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
Has SetteB or anyone else tried to see if their GSM phones have any reception in the Moscone Centre?

If there really will be an iPhone demo-ed at this year's MacWorld, then there would need to be full reception at the Centre. Otherwise, if Job's whips out the phone and there's not reception...well...it just wouldn't look good.

Also, has anyone tailed any of the major wireless providers CEO's to see if they HAPPENED to be in San Fransisco? That may be a big indicator as to where this is going...

SiliconAddict
Powerbook G5!!!!

*looks both ways* Shhhhh!

don't tell anyone I said this but *looks around* PowerBook G7s Tuesday. http://home.comcast.net/~jonnormand/icons/posting.php_files/worried.gif

Economics lesson? You started kinda well but ended up pretty badly...what you said has NOTHING to do with the definition of elasticity of demand, which is linked to the overall receptiveness to price changes...

unregbaron
Regardless of how much carbon is emitted making computers, the Internet, by cutting transportation waste, is doing more to limit C emissions than any factor other than green plants and algae.

Actually the only reason I travel on business is because of the internet opening up new markets to us.

kresh
Jan 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
I don't see Steve selling OSX on generic hardware.

The only reason that people are giving for this scenario is the "Market Share" gain. Apple could care less about market share, it's all about profits and staying a viable company.

Has everyone already forgotten what Steve said when he came back to Apple?

It's not about Apple vs. Microsoft anymore. It's about Apple being the best at what they do. What is it that they do best? It's all about the user experience, end to end. You won't get the Apple experience by building your killer AMD system and making OSX run on it. Period.

spydr
Jan 8, 2007, 01:04 PM

Me too! Doesn't matter what it is... just show me at least iWork'07 - a spreadsheet will be a HUGE thing, even if it is a basic one. Fast forward 24hrs NOW.

Rootman
Jan 8, 2007, 01:05 PM
But, Apple won't make lots more money, unless the marketshare becomes quite substantial.Oh, no! -- you can't make money without substantial market share! Better sell my Apple stock! <pulls out remaining hair>