PDA

View Full Version : Temperamental iMac G5

wrldwzrd89
Jan 8, 2007, 07:58 AM
I am having problems with my iMac G5 (which I have named Karen). It has suffered irrepairable file system damage to the internal hard drive twice in the last 5 days. Restoring from a recent backup made it run for a while. It is running the second restore as I type this (or at least it should be). I've also experienced a kernel panic while trying to restore from backup. This rendered the internal HD unreadable, and required me to erase it again.

The first filesystem error was an invalid sibling link, and the second an invalid node structure. Both times, the underlying task reported failure on exit, according to Disk Utility. After the kernel panic, I got the flashing Mac folder icon with a question mark briefly before it found the backup drive and booted from it.

Also different from before is the fact that, when the Mac boots, the fans kick up to full speed for a while, then back to low. It takes longer than normal to boot, and sometimes refuses to boot altogether (just sits at the gray spinner screen). Anyone have any ideas as to what's up? I am planning on taking it into my local Apple Retail Store to have it looked at if the cause isn't something I can fix.

tsvb
Jan 8, 2007, 09:38 AM
I am having problems with my iMac G5 (which I have named Karen). It has suffered irrepairable file system damage to the internal hard drive twice in the last 5 days. Restoring from a recent backup made it run for a while. It is running the second restore as I type this (or at least it should be). I've also experienced a kernel panic while trying to restore from backup. This rendered the internal HD unreadable, and required me to erase it again.

The first filesystem error was an invalid sibling link, and the second an invalid node structure. Both times, the underlying task reported failure on exit, according to Disk Utility. After the kernel panic, I got the flashing Mac folder icon with a question mark briefly before it found the backup drive and booted from it.

Also different from before is the fact that, when the Mac boots, the fans kick up to full speed for a while, then back to low. It takes longer than normal to boot, and sometimes refuses to boot altogether (just sits at the gray spinner screen). Anyone have any ideas as to what's up? I am planning on taking it into my local Apple Retail Store to have it looked at if the cause isn't something I can fix.

Could it be as simple as a bad HDD?

wrldwzrd89
Jan 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
Could it be as simple as a bad HDD?
I'm guessing that a bad HDD is at least part of the problem... sounds like I should take it in and get it looked at. Thanks.

Tarkovsky
Jan 8, 2007, 09:43 AM
Can you boot from the backup drive without the primary HDD attached to see whether you have the same problems?

wrldwzrd89
Jan 8, 2007, 10:01 AM
Can you boot from the backup drive without the primary HDD attached to see whether you have the same problems?
I would try this, except for the fact that I can't figure out how to open the thing and detach the internal HDD...

Eidorian
Jan 8, 2007, 10:30 AM
Which revision of the iMac G5?

wrldwzrd89
Jan 8, 2007, 10:38 AM
Which revision of the iMac G5?
Rev. C - the last one before the Intel iMacs were introduced.

Eidorian
Jan 8, 2007, 10:47 AM
You're not going to be able to out that thing up yourself.

Tarkovsky
Jan 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
I have a PDF which will show u how to do that. Woul you like me to email it to you? If so Drop me a pm with your email.

Tarkovsky
Jan 8, 2007, 10:56 AM
Also try here http://www.apple.com/support/doityourself/

wrldwzrd89
Jan 9, 2007, 06:37 AM
I have a PDF which will show u how to do that. Woul you like me to email it to you? If so Drop me a pm with your email.
I took it into my local Apple Retail Store yesterday and made an appointment at the Genius Bar for today @ 2:00 PM (alas, this means I will completely miss the live coverage of the keynote, as it starts at 12:00 PM my time today).

Eidorian
Jan 9, 2007, 08:26 AM
I took it into my local Apple Retail Store yesterday and made an appointment at the Genius Bar for today @ 2:00 PM (alas, this means I will completely miss the live coverage of the keynote, as it starts at 12:00 PM my time today).Uh...I hope your Apple Store has has Macs on display. I mean there's no reason you can't use one while waiting.

mkrishnan
Jan 9, 2007, 08:41 AM
Uh...I hope your Apple Store has has Macs on display. I mean there's no reason you can't use one while waiting.

Hehehehe, as long as they haven't content blocked MR yet! :D

Wizard, I'm just wondering... it isn't possible that you're re-creating the situation that leads to the drive logical fault every time you re-write the backup image to it, is it? :(

Well, anyway, I hope that it gets figured out quickly and you're back to Macking. :)

wrldwzrd89
Jan 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
Hehehehe, as long as they haven't content blocked MR yet! :D

Wizard, I'm just wondering... it isn't possible that you're re-creating the situation that leads to the drive logical fault every time you re-write the backup image to it, is it? :(

Well, anyway, I hope that it gets figured out quickly and you're back to Macking. :)
Regarding your question, I sure hope not... it seems to get worse each time, though. Now, it won't even recognize the internal HD as a bootable device. It runs perfectly from the backup drive, though, which baffles me.

wrldwzrd89
Jan 11, 2007, 07:51 AM
The iMac is in for repairs and should be ready today. Hopefully, it'll be working normally again once I restore from backup.