PDA

View Full Version : Sansa View.. iPod Video hurry up SJ!!!

dalvin200
Jan 8, 2007, 02:44 PM
wow.. the new Sansa View (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/sandisk-sansa-view/) sure looks sweet!! SDHC cards as well as 8GB onboard flash memory!!

if jobs dont pull the ipod video out tomorrow, my money is probably going to sandisk :rolleyes:

balamw
Jan 8, 2007, 03:00 PM
Looks great for $300. Tempting even if Apple releases something of their own.

B

iSee
Jan 8, 2007, 03:59 PM
Not too shabby:
4" screen
1080i output
Efficient power usage
8 GB expandable to 40 GB.
I'm not sure, but if "Plays for sure" gives it access to a lot of content, then this is a pretty decent contender.

There's plenty of room for apple to beat it though:
* 8 GB is pretty small for standard def video content and very small for HD content. And are there really 32 GB SD cards around? If so, how much do they cost???
* UI - if you don't have a good UI and sync system, the rest of it really doesn't matter. An iPod like interface and integration with iTunes is a huge plus for any real contender.
* Where is this 1080i content coming from? (It may exist, but I don't follow plays-for-sure content providers very closely). If you only have 480p content, it really doesn't matter if you can output at 720i/p 1080i/p.

Zwhaler
Jan 8, 2007, 06:45 PM
All the more reason to realse something like that themselves. Hopefully it will be touch screen. I would expect Apple to feel a little bit pressured from all of the fake photos floating around, people are almost expecting a touchscreen.

SactoGuy18
Jan 8, 2007, 09:22 PM
While Sansa's device is sweet, there's not enough on-device storage to make it worthwhile. http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/disagree/45.gif

I think if we do see a "true" video iPod it will be something about the size of the Samsung Q1 ultra-portable computer with a 16:9 aspect ratio screen, full touchscreen functions, and either 80 GB or 120 GB hard drive storage. Cheap it won't be, though: I expect the 120 GB version to cost as much as US$499. :eek:

dllavaneras
Jan 8, 2007, 09:30 PM
While Sansa's device is sweet, there's not enough on-device storage to make it worthwhile.

That's true, 8Gb is definitely not enough

I think if we do see a "true" video iPod it will be something about the size of the Samsung Q1 ultra-portable computer with a 16:9 aspect ratio screen, full touchscreen functions, and either 80 GB or 120 GB hard drive storage. Cheap it won't be, though: I expect the 120 GB version to cost as much as US$499. :eek:

It would be worth it; at least Steve will make you believe it's a steal ;)