PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of new iPod?

ddk121
Jan 8, 2007, 04:35 PM
Hey!
I'm really looking forward to Apple's Keynote tomorrow :) . What do you think are the chances of Apple releasing a true video ipod?
ddk121

sushi
Jan 8, 2007, 04:37 PM
What do you think are the chances of Apple releasing a true video ipod?
With the release of iTV, I would imagine there would be a good chance of Apple releasing a vPod due to the integration (assumption on my part) that they will be made to work together seamlessly.

fivetoadsloth
Jan 8, 2007, 04:37 PM
Hey!
I'm really looking forward to Apple's Keynote tomorrow :) . What do you think are the chances of Apple releasing a true video ipod?
ddk121

No one knows but it is not getting as much hype as other products. PErsonally I dont think we will see one , but shortly after apple will pull one out.

ddk121
Jan 8, 2007, 04:40 PM
No one knows but it is not getting as much hype as other products. PErsonally I dont think we will see one , but shortly after apple will pull one out.

Normally, Apple release a new iPod after about a year of the last generation. Don't you think it's a bit strange Apple have waited quite a bit longer this time?

fivetoadsloth
Jan 8, 2007, 04:42 PM
That is true, but when i tihnk a bit more it does make sense contrary to my last post, to release it. The ipod is one of the main products and giving it a silent upgrade may not be the smartest of moves... Ugh, I wish i could go to this keynote itll be awesome, and packed with people andnew stuff!

Well guess well see in approx 18 hours.

Queso
Jan 8, 2007, 04:44 PM
I now think we're going to see something along these lines. Funnily enough, it was Gates' speech at CES that has convinced me. It's almost like he's trying to spread FUD about something unannounced :cool:

ddk121
Jan 8, 2007, 04:55 PM
For me, I would much rather see a new iPod than an iPhone.

dhlvrsn
Jan 8, 2007, 05:08 PM
Based on the fact that I waited all last year and finally purchased an iPod.... I'll guarantee that the new model will not be announced until my 30 return grace period expires:rolleyes:

ddk121
Jan 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
Based on the fact that I waited all last year and finally purchased an iPod.... I'll guarantee that the new model will not be announced until my 30 return grace period expires:rolleyes:

Lol. I hate it when you buy something (especially from Apple) and like a couple of weeks later they bring out a new revised model. It really bugs me!

technicolor
Jan 8, 2007, 05:42 PM
I agree.

I really hope a new pod comes out, my 60 is almost full.

sushi
Jan 8, 2007, 07:32 PM
I agree.

I really hope a new pod comes out, my 60 is almost full.
Yes a new vPod would be great. :)

And if a vPod is introduced, I imagine that it might have a few more features than just playing videos. My guess is that this might be a way for Apple to get into the PDA concept, albeit slowly. Already we can DL contacts, calendar and notes. Be nice if we could sync things meaning being able to enter data on the vPod with a stylus. However, this is only conjecture on my part as I have no concrete data to support this idea.

zap2
Jan 8, 2007, 07:35 PM
ThinkSecret says 60%..I hope it happens!!

milo
Jan 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
ThinkSecret says 60%..I hope it happens!!

That sounds about right. It's a coin flip.

shunpike
Jan 9, 2007, 11:16 AM
been very quiet on the rumor front chances: 40%
'iPhone' about 75%

ddk121
Jan 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
After reading some of the Live coverage, I doubt today will be the day. They have made new ads for the iPod.

ddk121
Jan 9, 2007, 11:49 AM
Oops...look like I was mistaken!

a456
Jan 9, 2007, 11:50 AM
Please make this available today Steve

ddk121
Jan 9, 2007, 11:57 AM
I was gonna buy a Nokia N95, but "GOODBYE NOKIA N95, HELLO iPhone!

dhlvrsn
Jan 9, 2007, 01:27 PM
Sooo... if you want wait until June, can settle for 4 or 8 GB, want a new two year Cingular contract, then YES!!! a wide screen iPod :D I'm so not excited. Like I said previously. They will introduce a widescreen iPod after I can no longer return mine.

I am now one for one in Apple predictions.

Watch this space for further developments.

HelixOmnimedia
Jan 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
I don't care for the iPhone.

I love the iPod side of it, but not the phone side.
What are the chances of Apple releasing just the iPod side of it?

Parents aren't going to buy their kid a device like the iPhone to play and watch movies with.

I'm so disappointed with Apple right now.

dhlvrsn
Jan 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
Even the iPod side is crippled having a max of 8GB. Compared to most on this forum it seems that I've got a small music collection... It's still bigger than 8GB and then where does the video (kinda the fun part of having a widescreen display) go? How about an SD slot? some glimmer of hope.

Well time to put that invibleshield on the 80GB... I guess all those that said just buy one a year ago were right.

dongle
Jan 9, 2007, 05:52 PM
-

smueboy
Jan 9, 2007, 06:11 PM
What are the chances of Apple releasing just the iPod side of it?

It would make sense if they do release a touchscreen iPod similar to the iPhone minus the features.

dllavaneras
Jan 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
I'd expect a true video iPod in the near future. It'd look good in 100 and 120 Gb, wouldn't it? And shipping right after it's announced

Orge
Jan 9, 2007, 07:35 PM
I think the reason we've seen this phone, prior to an ipod with the same technologies, is the cost of the components involved. Particularly multi-touch, but the embedded processor and screen are much more expensive items than the previoous generation of ipods - and will have involved a large R&D cost.

it's quite possible that Apple couldn't bring these directly to the iPod in a cost competitive format. They may be leveraging the larger market, and price point, of this phone in order to be able to bring down costs for use in a "vPod".

Personally, I'm confident that there WILL be a further HD incarnation of the iPod, which incorporates some of this technology. However, I'm not certain that it will be in an immediate time frame, both for the reasons stated above and to avoid canibalizing iphone sales.

J

joelovesapple
Jan 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
Man I hope an iPod minus the phone is released. This can never be called an iPod - all of them so far kept the same sort of 'look' as the original back in 2001.

Please Apple release a new iPod. Mine is crying out for a replacement, and the Bank Manager agrees this time!:cool: :D

ShermDog
Jan 9, 2007, 08:50 PM
I think the chances are pretty good. Take out the phone functionality from the iPhone, throw in an 80GB HD or larger, and increase the screen size to cover the entire face of the iPod, and that's something I'd buy. After seeing the multi-touch feature of the iPhone, I think a true video iPod with a "virtual" clickwheel is not too far a stretch.

antphan
Jan 9, 2007, 09:32 PM
I feel the absent of a widescreen iPod is because the market for the iPhone is smaller than the iPod market so they might just be testing out the functions of a soon to be release widescreen iPod. Especially the touch screen technology because if the function is not remain accurate over time than there is no reason to release a WS iPod and/or they could be testing out the durablilty of the screen because a WS iPod would be used for videos and if the screen becomes less usable because of the day to day abuse on the screen than a WS iPod would become useless.:D

Zwhaler
Jan 9, 2007, 09:52 PM
/\/\/\/\

Like people have said, the iPhone is pretty much the beta version of a new iPod. I bet we will see one this year, plus it will have all the bugs worked out. Rev. A products should be avoided, especially one that involved such a new technology as touch screen.

gkarris
Jan 9, 2007, 10:20 PM
I think the chances are pretty good. Take out the phone functionality from the iPhone, throw in an 80GB HD or larger, and increase the screen size to cover the entire face of the iPod, and that's something I'd buy. After seeing the multi-touch feature of the iPhone, I think a true video iPod with a "virtual" clickwheel is not too far a stretch.

They'll probably keep the exact same form factor and replace the phone part with a larger battery and a hard disk (here's hoping).

Apple doesn't need the clickwheel anymore with the new touchscreen and finger gestures (did you see the keynote?)...

blybug
Jan 10, 2007, 04:05 PM
Man I hope an iPod minus the phone is released. This can never be called an iPod - all of them so far kept the same sort of 'look' as the original back in 2001.

all of these are called iMacs...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:lqd6Ao76iQjoVM:http://images.apple.com/pr/photos/iMac/imac-hires.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:lI5jcTOp3tgZjM:http://imac.pe.kr/imac_20.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:mhbiKYIwZlOfXM:http://backoffice.ajb.com.au/images/DynamicImages/Product/apple_imac_g5_lg.jpg

not much doubt in my mind that iPod will get the new look and interface of the iPhone before too long...and still be an iPod. Eventually they will have to converge into one product line. Seriously I wonder why the iPhone isn't called "iPod phone" in anticipation of that inevitability.