PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Macworld San Francisco Notes

MacRumors
Jan 8, 2007, 07:53 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As the final hours before the Macworld San Francisco keynote draw to a close, a few final notes on late-breaking news, rumors, and speculation.

More Display Rumblings
Perhaps adding some legitimacy to previous (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061229234528.shtml) conflicted (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061222114846.shtml) rumors that Apple will soon introduce new displays, recent notes by analyst Shaw Wu indicate that Apple is working on large-screen technologies in its labs (http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2359).

"We are not certain on timing but our analysis indicates that AAPL is beyond prototype on large-screen technologies (for a larger monitor or possibly Apple-branded HDTV)," the analyst told his clients.

A previous page2 rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061025134441.shtml) indicated that Apple would introduce a 50" monitor alongside the "iTV," and MacScoop has claimed that new monitors would include HDMI connectivity. Nevertheless, readers should be aware that claims of deliberate falsification have tainted this rumor, and therefore the information should be noted with caution.

ThinkSecret Chimes In
ThinkSecret today made their predictions (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0701eve.html) for tomorrow's keynote, stating that Apple's phone has a 90% chance of being revealed tomorrow. Interestingly, the site only pegs iLife '07 and iWork '07 at 85%. While their previous claim just last week (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070105073910.shtml) stated that the software would arrive during the keynote, ThinkSecret now reports that increased development time may have delayed at least iWork until March. Finally, the site gives a display update a 50% chance but does indicate that their sources are largely echoing the other reports in this post.

iDisk Storage Increase? (No)
A popular rumor that had gained traction in the past few days is apparently without merit. Some Windows users (http://digg.com/apple/30GIGs_iDisk_on_Macworld_Apple_is_upgrading_the_DOT_mac_iDisk_to_30GB) had noticed that Windows was reporting a much larger storage pool than .Mac's current 1GB standard limit. Apparently, this is simply a glitch (http://ungeni.us/section/opinion/idiots_jumping_on_digg_bandwagons) in the iDisk Utility for Windows in which the iDisk storage amount is reported falsely as the user's hard disk capacity.

Of course, readers should check out our previous Macworld San Francisco Rumor Roundup (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070101180909.shtml) and tune in at 9am PST, 12pm EST tomorrow for our live coverage of Steve's much anticipated keynote.

gotohamish
Jan 8, 2007, 07:57 PM
Perhaps all this alleged "resolution independent" R&D they've also been doing relates to the new displays also.

atari1356
Jan 8, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hopefully one of the features of the new displays will be a price drop to be a little bit more competitive will Dell/Samsung.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting...

justflie
Jan 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
idisk storage increase certainly would be nice, especially considering the amout of storage I can get online for free elsewhere...

MattyMac
Jan 8, 2007, 08:01 PM
WOW...90% chance for the Apple Phone!

The excitement is overwhelming. I've been anticipating an apple phone and telling my friends about it for the past year! They think I am nuts.

Pleassssse let it be true:D

brendanryder
Jan 8, 2007, 08:01 PM
please be an iphone and a AFFORIDIBLE display

i think tomorrow is going to be better than my birthday

ratspg
Jan 8, 2007, 08:03 PM
a buddy of mine will be at macworld for the first time, hope the iPhone makes it around! it will be a sweet event tomorrow.

longofest
Jan 8, 2007, 08:04 PM
idisk storage increase certainly would be nice, especially considering the amout of storage I can get online for free elsewhere...

except its not going to happen... at least, not in the quantity people were talking about.

mdntcallr
Jan 8, 2007, 08:04 PM
looks like alot of page refreshes for all of us.

tons of updates tmrw. im pretty excited

bozs13
Jan 8, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'm about to a splod

tfh1013
Jan 8, 2007, 08:08 PM
I can't believe that ThinkSecret is rating the iPhone with a higher chance than iLife '07 and iWork '07. To me it seems more likely than anything that they would release iLife and iWork... :confused: :rolleyes:

EricNau
Jan 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
Of course, more iDisk Storage, which is the most in need of an update out of any Apple product, turns out to be false. :rolleyes:

I wish I could say I was surprised. :(

failsafe1
Jan 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
A large display would go hand in hand with iTV (or whatever it will be called). I am ready for the keynote to come and go so the next round of rumors can begin. These are getting old. Bring on the new rumors!!

brendanryder
Jan 8, 2007, 08:12 PM
I can't believe that ThinkSecret is rating the iPhone with a higher chance than iLife '07 and iWork '07. To me it seems more likely than anything that they would release iLife and iWork... :confused: :rolleyes:

ya i agree
you would think sofware would have a much higher chance than a huge breakthrough in cell phones
im still preying for the "iphone"

Vagelturf
Jan 8, 2007, 08:13 PM
My wild guesses are that we will see:

1. A home server done right. It will be the missing part of the iTV equation and will have wireless built in.

2. Quicktime will get facial recognition and object tracking abilities.

3. The Beatles will be there and they will play.

AppleIntelRock
Jan 8, 2007, 08:14 PM

The excitement is overwhelming. I've been anticipating an apple phone and telling my friends about it for the past year! They think I am nuts.

haha, tell me about it, i've been talking about the full screen ipod for about a year as well :D

The 75% chance of an iLife upgrade leaves me confused :confused:

SeaFox
Jan 8, 2007, 08:14 PM
looks like alot of page refreshes for all of us.

tons of updates tmrw. im pretty excited

You don't need to refresh the MacrumorsLive page, it updates the relevant portions automatically. Considering there will be pictures this time I think it best to let the page do it's magic and not force extra refreshes on Arn's servers.

rockthecasbah
Jan 8, 2007, 08:16 PM
Oh please, the fellas over at Think Secret have to be off their rockers to think that the Apple phone has a higher liklihood of being revealed than iLife '07 and iWork '07!!!! This has been a MWSF trend to release, even if the coverage is minimal, i guarantee that they will speak for it about a few minutes, especially with the Spreadsheets program...

New displays would be nice, but with all the buzz i tend to be skeptical about it and will side with new displays coming just as a quiet update sooner rather than later.

AppleIntelRock
Jan 8, 2007, 08:17 PM
You don't need to refresh the MacrumorsLive page, it updates the relevant portions automatically. Considering there will be pictures this time I think it best to let the page do it's magic and not force extra refreshes on Arn's servers.

Arn also said he'd leave the forumos up and running. Let's try and conserve.

Oh please, the fellas over at Think Secret have to be off their rockers to think that the Apple phone has a higher liklihood of being revealed than iLife '07 and iWork '07!!!! This has been a MWSF trend to release, even if the coverage is minimal, i guarantee that they will speak for it about a few minutes, especially with the Spreadsheets program...

New displays would be nice, but with all the buzz i tend to be skeptical about it and will side with new displays coming just as a quiet update sooner rather than later.

Nick has revealed too many sources, he no longer has any. The majority of the posts on think secret seem to be educated guesses based on information that has been floating on AppleInsider/MacRumors for sometime.

AppleIntelRock
Jan 8, 2007, 08:25 PM
my credit card is ready and waiting to order an iPhone.... I really really hope this is true

Mine has been ready for about 5 years :D

twoodcc
Jan 8, 2007, 08:27 PM

yeah, 90% is big!

here's hoping to displays being released as well :)

bigandy
Jan 8, 2007, 08:29 PM
Arn also said he'd leave the forumos up and running. Let's try and conserve.
They're always left up and running. Each and every year ;)

eme jota ce
Jan 8, 2007, 08:30 PM
an iWeb update would be nice

raisedEdge
Jan 8, 2007, 08:35 PM
Being that this is Job's first Keynote that will run 2 hours rather than 1 as stated on the Macworld site, after of coursing announcing that stats of how Apple is doing as usual, and then discussing the secret features of Leopard, which will certainly be followed by iLife and iWork updates. Video will most likely be next where they discuss iTV (whatever it may now be called). Then we will hear about the iPod, all video screen. And finally we will hear those fateful words. Oh, and one more thing. Then MobileMe, or whatever they choose to call the new iPod or Mac with calling capabilities to be released into models at a later date. Can't wait!

chicagdan
Jan 8, 2007, 08:36 PM
Steve looooves to introduce new iMacs by surprise ... tomorrow we'll get the 4th gen

* Back to the luxor lamp ... floating display
* Back to the cube ... base station is now fully upgradeable, most versatile iMac ever
* Available in black or white
* Dual or quad core model available

It's going to kick ass.

bignumbers
Jan 8, 2007, 08:38 PM
Gotta give Apple some kudos for secrecy the night before what will apparently be a big morning. Usually by this time we have at least some real specs, part numbers, prices, etc. All we have are generic rumblings with little beyond broad expectations.

Don't get me wrong, I read MacRumors because I want to know what's coming. But credit where credit is due. Barring a major leak in ten minutes or unless the announcements are duds Apple has done an amazing job combining hype and secrecy.

I'm excited as hell - and I don't even know why! :-)

Quboid
Jan 8, 2007, 08:39 PM
I hear nothing of the iPod touch. but i guess everybody's happy cause the iPhone was the biggest craze around here.

thedude110
Jan 8, 2007, 08:42 PM
Maybe a touchscreen iPod -- I'm hoping there's a "One more thing" we're not hearing anything about.

I'm super excited by the anticpation of it all. And just realized the kids will be at gym at noon.

I really hope macrumorslive (www.macrumorslive.com) isn't blocked at work ...

moesker007
Jan 8, 2007, 08:44 PM

Haha, I've been telling my friends about this for a good couple months and I AM SO FLIPPIN EXCITING! AH I CAN'T WAIT! I was sad for a bit cuz it seemed like the macphone was a no-go but 90%!? That's a big percent and I'm in AP Stats, so I would know (haha, i hate that class) but ya I'M SO EXCITED AND CAN'T EXPRESS MY EXCITMENT SO I'M GOING TO DANCE!

P.S. It'll be pretty sad if there is no macphone but that's ok cuz APPLE ROCKS

louden
Jan 8, 2007, 08:46 PM
Maybe the Apple phone will look more like a next gen super-slim, super tiny powerbook (more like OQO) than an iPod:

Think of it:
- It could leverage the flash/HD
- It could have Cingular's HSDPA built it (who needs wifi)
- It could run all day on a batter
- You could make calls with some BT headphones
- You could watch movies with a bit more of a screen than the perceived video iPod
- Maybe the new mac will be the size of a billfold - it could fit in your pocket - just not like a shuffle.

It could happen.

Spanna
Jan 8, 2007, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know what time the keynote will start in Sydney (Australia) time

paradillon
Jan 8, 2007, 08:53 PM
failsafe1
A large display would go hand in hand with iTV (or whatever it will be called). I am ready for the keynote to come and go so the next round of rumors can begin. These are getting old. Bring on the new rumors!!

The large displays go hand in hand with Front Row, I've been calling that out since it's introduction. I say large displays are a given it's just the timing that is in question, tomorrow would be good timing. :)

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 08:59 PM
Dang. And I was going to renew my .Mac account if this rumor was true. :(

justflie
Jan 8, 2007, 09:00 PM
Mine has been ready for about 5 years :D

do you guys think that, should a phone be released, it will be "shipping today?" sadly, i'm away from a computer til 9pm EST so I'm not going to be able to get a jump on preorder/order queues online. Maybe there will be some available in the retail stores?

SeaFox
Jan 8, 2007, 09:00 PM

Wednesday, 4am according to the World Time site linked off of MacrumorsLive.

shawnce
Jan 8, 2007, 09:02 PM

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Visit the above website. Pick "U.S.A - California - San Jose" for the time zone of the from time and enter January 9th 2007, hour 9 am. Then pick your time zone.

You get... Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 4:00:00 AM

FreeState
Jan 8, 2007, 09:02 PM

04:00:00 a.m. Wednesday January 10, 2007 in Australia/Sydney

use this converter: http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc :)

geerlingguy
Jan 8, 2007, 09:04 PM

[EDIT: Yikes! Four posts in a row, all about time zones... oh, well. Just means there are a bunch of others, like me, who have decided staying on these forums up to the last possible moment to see any and every bit of info about the MW keynote tomorrow before it happens is more important than pretty much anything else... anywho, I think I'm going to watch a movie.]

It'll be 11 a.m. my time (Central time, U.S.), and you could go to a place like Time Zone Converter (http://www.timezoneconverter.com/) (or another of the millions of sites like it found by searching Google for 'time zone convert') to find what time it would be in your place.

geerlingguy
Jan 8, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'm about to a splod

"MY HEAD A SPLODE."

(homestarrunner.com)

bigandy
Jan 8, 2007, 09:13 PM
Steve looooves to introduce new iMacs by surprise ... tomorrow we'll get the 4th gen

* Back to the luxor lamp ... floating display
* Back to the cube ... base station is now fully upgradeable, most versatile iMac ever
* Available in black or white
* Dual or quad core model available

It's going to kick ass.

oh no. the lamp iMac was cool, but going back would be that - a step back.

a cube base wouldn't be right, no no no! :rolleyes:

black? maybe the current model, which looks ok (see colorware (http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_iMac.aspx)), but not in a box lamp model.

quad core? that's pro machines only right now. definately.

Zwhaler
Jan 8, 2007, 09:17 PM
The Apple Phone at 90 percent? 5 percent higher than Apples scheduled annual release of iLife and iWork? Something smells fishy.

dllavaneras
Jan 8, 2007, 09:22 PM
The Apple Phone at 90 percent? 5 percent higher than Apples scheduled annual release of iLife and iWork? Something smells fishy.

I second that. The Apple Phone is waaay overhyped

p0intblank
Jan 8, 2007, 09:23 PM
Ahhh, I can't wait until tomorrow night when I watch the keynote! :D It's like Christmas all over again, as far as excitement goes.

mattbray
Jan 8, 2007, 09:33 PM
My .Mac subscription expires in five days. If they don't up the storage I'll start hosting my website elsewhere... When you look @ Gmail and web hosts like 1and1 it's kind of ridiculous the price we pay for .Mac when you consider the storage (or lack thereof...).

Having said that I can't wait for tomorrow... the iPhone is pretty much a done deal, as is iTV. I would really love to see Apple pull something out of their bag that no one saw coming.

longofest
Jan 8, 2007, 09:35 PM
Update: MacScoop/MacOSXRumors also claims (http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2007/01/09/no-ilife-07-release-for-macworld) that while iLife may be previewed tomorrow, it will be heavily dependent on Leopard and will not be available until later in the year

mattbray
Jan 8, 2007, 09:39 PM
I was fearful that iLife and/or iWork would be delayed... there really wasn't that much speculation leading up to MWSF.

Nar1117
Jan 8, 2007, 09:47 PM
I dont know anywhere else to ask this, but if I go to Macrumors.com at say, 8.00 AM, and the AJAX auto-update isnt up yet, will it automatically reload my page if I just keep it on Macrumors.com (the normal frontpage)?

I have to go to class at 8, and i want to see the transcript from the live feed after im done with class, which will be after the keynote is finished, but I wont be able to go to Macrumors.com at 9AM, when the keynote will start.

Its kinda hard to explain, i hope you see what I mean. Any ideas?

OttawaGuy
Jan 8, 2007, 09:48 PM
Update: MacScoop/MacOSXRumors also claims (http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2007/01/09/no-ilife-07-release-for-macworld) that while iLife may be previewed tomorrow, it will be heavily dependent on Leopard and will not be available until later in the year

Be wrong!:eek:

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 09:54 PM

That doesn't make much sense. The link says it will be backwards compatable. If so there is no reason not to release it now to Tiger users who will then just reinstall it when those who upgrade to Leopard....upgrade. :confused:

Quboid
Jan 8, 2007, 09:55 PM

would leopard be previewed tomorrow too?
I so hope they don't replace the aqua theme. :eek:

OdduWon
Jan 8, 2007, 09:59 PM
The large displays go hand in hand with Front Row, I've been calling that out since it's introduction. I say large displays are a given it's just the timing that is in question, tomorrow would be good timing. :)

Yes agreed, Larger monitors are a must for the "i" media experience. At least AMD seems to think so (http://www.amdlive.com/) ;)

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 09:59 PM
I dont know anywhere else to ask this, but if I go to Macrumors.com at say, 8.00 AM, and the AJAX auto-update isnt up yet, will it automatically reload my page if I just keep it on Macrumors.com (the normal frontpage)?

Nope. At least I don't think so. You will need to refresh your screen and have it redirect you to the AJAX site. Think Automator if you have tiger that is. :D

I do. Its gotten boring as heck.

EricNau
Jan 8, 2007, 10:03 PM

I have to go to class at 8, and i want to see the transcript from the live feed after im done with class, which will be after the keynote is finished, but I wont be able to go to Macrumors.com at 9AM, when the keynote will start.

In the past, a complete transcript was available right after the keynote.

Nar1117
Jan 8, 2007, 10:03 PM
Nope. At least I don't think so. You will need to refresh your screen and have it redirect you to the AJAX site. Think Automator if you have tiger that is. :D

I like your thinking...

Nar1117
Jan 8, 2007, 10:18 PM

I can get the automator to show the webpage two times, but when i tell it to open the workflow back up again, which should make it do the whole process over, it doesnt do anything. And how do i get the links to be displayed on the same page? It keeps opening up a new page, which i dont want.

mrkramer
Jan 8, 2007, 10:19 PM

You could try going here (http://www.macrumorslive.com/) instead.

GregA
Jan 8, 2007, 11:12 PM
idisk storage increase certainly would be nice, especially considering the amout of storage I can get online for free elsewhere...Hell, if Apple can't afford the storage, then a way of integrating iDisk with other online storage providers would do the trick.

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 12:29 AM

I don't think I believe that one. Make a new version of their software only compatible with the newest version of the O.S.? That sounds really Microsofty to me.

danvdr
Jan 9, 2007, 12:34 AM

Since you guys are 18 hours ahead of us, I'm afraid you've already missed it ;) (So, what did they announce?)

glowingstar
Jan 9, 2007, 12:37 AM
ok...my prediction as a "nobody".....

i betcha the itv will be released, and it will be sold in a package deal with the giant screen to make the ultimate home-theater experience. so...it will be like a gigantic imac for your wall.

end of line....

cowbellallen
Jan 9, 2007, 12:46 AM
The Beatles are going to be unleashed on iTunes. Remember how they were remastering everything, and including some unheard tracks?

Oh yeah. I bet that is what Steve is all excited about.

kainjow
Jan 9, 2007, 12:53 AM

I'd be prepared to see Aqua fade into history. This March it will be 6 years old. Time for an update :)

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 12:56 AM
The Beatles are going to be unleashed on iTunes. Remember how they were remastering everything, and including some unheard tracks?

Oh yeah. I bet that is what Steve is all excited about.

So far that's the only thing I think would make me "invite all my friends over" to the keynote if I were Steve Jobs. He would have to have Paul McCartney up on stage, and maybe Ringo too for that part.

Even the Apple Phone doesn't sound like a big enough announcement in itself.

balamw
Jan 9, 2007, 01:02 AM
So far that's the only thing I think would make me "invite all my friends over" to the keynote if I were Steve Jobs. He would have to have Paul McCartney up on stage, and maybe Ringo too for that part.

Even the Apple Phone doesn't sound like a big enough announcement in itself.

Just to mess with us they've updated the iTunes Store already. This probably means we're going to get the Beatles, iTunes 8 and the vidPod all in one swell foop.

B

Aniej
Jan 9, 2007, 01:05 AM
Can I ask a dumb question for someone who knows this stuff kind of well. I am exhausted and I just want to make sure I am right about this before I make a mistake.:eek:
Has Apple released the quad core mac pro yet?

Answer:

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 01:07 AM
Just to mess with us they've updated the iTunes Store already. This probably means we're going to get the Beatles, iTunes 8 and the vidPod all in one swell foop.

Damn, guess the free track of the week wont be "Good Morning" then. [closes iTunes]

Can I ask a dumb question for someone who knows this stuff kind of well. I am exhausted and I just want to make sure I am right about this before I make a mistake.:eek:

Answer: Yes.
The current MacPro has 2 dual core chips.
2+2=4

If you're asking about a dual quad-core machine, NO.
But we may get one here at Macworld, since QuadCore Core2 ...yeah, that's what I meant to say... are coming out tomorrow as well.

WildCowboy
Jan 9, 2007, 01:09 AM

Answer: All of the current Mac Pros are quad-core machines. However, the configuration is two dual-core processors for the total of four cores. The new processors that are expected to make their way into the Mac Pro soon are each quad-core, so putting two of them in a machine would give you eight cores.

Aniej
Jan 9, 2007, 01:09 AM
then what is this?

Wildcowbow thanks.

woops.

so then what I posted is just the 4, not the new 8. right?

WildCowboy
Jan 9, 2007, 01:13 AM
so then what I posted is just the 4, not the new 8. right?

Correct.

"Two 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 'Woodcrest' processors"

That's four cores.

balamw
Jan 9, 2007, 01:13 AM
Damn, guess the free track of the week wont be "Good Morning" then. [closes iTunes]

"Here Comes the Sun" would fit the eclipse graphic on apple.com better doncha think. :p

B

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 01:16 AM
"Here Comes the Sun" would fit the eclipse graphic on apple.com better doncha think. :p

B

Yes, but Macworld Expos are just circuses, they could also do "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite".

Hey, if the keynote was Wednesday they could have used "Tomorrow Never Knows". :D

WildPalms
Jan 9, 2007, 01:18 AM
please be an iphone and a AFFORIDIBLE display

i think tomorrow is going to be better than my birthday

Tomorrow is my birthday! My present: Steve Jobs Keynote :D

ZaIsBestPronto
Jan 9, 2007, 01:55 AM
I'm really hoping for a touchscreen (multiple touch points) portable device which merges the cellphone, iPod, and computer.

Finding out some info about the cool features of Leopard would be nice too.

starnox
Jan 9, 2007, 02:17 AM
That iLife rumor is rubbish, of course it won't need leopard because they would be seriously shooting themselves in the foot.

No iLife '07 will be released today.

jpxdude
Jan 9, 2007, 02:53 AM
I would like to see:

* More elaboration on the iPhone, iCell (if true!) and hope that it'll have interoperability with iChat

* More Leopard information

* Advancement on alternative forms of Macbook power source, possible fuel cell battery replacement? *shrugs*

* Apple games console :-P I think there's more to iTV that we know yet. If anything, i'd like to think iTV would also have IPTV streaming capabilities over HD, which is probable!

This will be a big year, so i'd expect big and surprising annoucements...isn't it the 30th anniversary or something?

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 02:55 AM

Dude, guess what the Macalope (http://www.macalope.com/?p=138) has at the top of his prediction list. :cool:

iSplode
Jan 9, 2007, 03:00 AM
I'm ready to freakin crap my pants, I am so excited about what Jobs may announce tomorrow!!! The suspense is killing me!!!

I think it will have something to do with the Beatles and/or OSX Leopard being released tomorrow or shortly afterward to one-up Microsoft. I sure hope all this hype isn't over a stupid cellphone.

Most likely it will be a whole new line if iPod Socks!! That would be freakin AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

teme
Jan 9, 2007, 03:19 AM
I'm hoping for a home media solution, some kind of storage server to work with iTV and computers. And I hope that iTV would stream all kinds of files from that server, not that just some specific video formats.

I'm going to buy a new laptop in next six months, so I'm looking forward for any announcements about that... maybe some ultra-thin 12" MacBook Pro with Leopard and iLife '07.

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 04:50 AM
s...isn't it the 30th anniversary or something?

is it? :D

Hattig
Jan 9, 2007, 06:10 AM
The UI in Itunes 7 looks good - more professional. Apple is all about good design but Mac has none. Steve Jobs said Microsoft has no style and he means it in big way. Microsoft said they are going to make him eat those words ... and they showed they have style with vista. (in my opinion)

What most people should be hoping for is a return to a consistent UI across the board - Mac OS X, iWork, iLife, iTunes, etc. That means each window looks the same, with the curves in the corners being the same, the style being uniform, etc.

IMO Vista looks better than XP, but only because XP looked vile, chunky and childish. There's a lot not nice in Vista, from the strangely squashed window controls, to the blurry glass effect, to being too dark and getting in the way. A professional UI should be non-invasive and neutral - Mac OS X's grey is a good example.

Since Leopard will have resolution independence, I assume that Apple will have spent the extra small amount of time on top of this massive work to get everything looking consistent. Then there's Time Machine ... argh!

mrthieme
Jan 9, 2007, 06:15 AM
Once again I am amazed at how Apple keeps these products so top secret.
Whatever will be released today for sale has been designed, manufactured, packaged and shipped across the world. From management all the way down to the guy sweeping the factory floor, and everyone in the transport process, not one cell phone picture has surfaced that I know of. That's a tight ship.

iMan
Jan 9, 2007, 06:16 AM
Someone fancy Sir Paul at the stage today? ;)

... with a little help from my frieds...

Oh, and Welcome to 1984... sorry.. 2007!! Here we go again...

Compile 'em all
Jan 9, 2007, 06:20 AM
Once again I am amazed at how Apple keeps these products so top secret.
Whatever will be released today for sale has been designed, manufactured, packaged and shipped across the world. From management all the way down to the guy sweeping the factory floor, and everyone in the transport process, not one cell phone picture has surfaced that I know of. That's a tight ship.

Pretty amazing isn't it. What is even more amazing is that this phone has been in the works for a couple of years now. Let's hope the phone will be up to the Apple standards.

peharri
Jan 9, 2007, 06:25 AM
Most likely it will be a whole new line if iPod Socks!! That would be freakin AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

Powerbook G5, actually.

JW Pepper
Jan 9, 2007, 06:32 AM
My guess is that iWork is delayed so that it can open the new MS Office document formats. Office 2004 cannot open the new office documents created by the Windows version of Office. This will be a problem to Mac users untill MS updates Office for Mac which won't happen until they can make it a Unitersial Binary. If Apple can get iWork to open these new documents it give Mac users an immediate workaround.

Of course I may be wrong.

MatthewCobb
Jan 9, 2007, 06:40 AM
For those of you who haven't seen it, Arstechnica's John Siracusa has an excellent Keynote Bingo card, in which we can all tick off the various things Steve might - or might not - have up his sleeve.

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2007/1/7/6514

mrmma
Jan 9, 2007, 08:17 AM
1) I've been thinking that Paul and/or Ringo might be there. Paul probably needs a new cash infusion after his marital problems. I say this is great. My Abby Road CD has a scratch that translated into a skip in iTunes...right in the middle of I Want You:

I w...ww...ww..ant y...y...you, I want you so baaad...

so I'd like to pick up that track for 99 cents.

2) I am with the why not release iLife/iWork today unless they truly aren't ready. I don't think they would release apps that are OS X version dependent. I suppose there could be features used by Leopard that are not accessable by other versions, but they'd lose out on a large base of buyers that want to buy/upgrade their iLife/iWork but not buy/upgrade their OS X.

3) I don't see Apple getting into actual HDTV displays. The competition there is pretty thick, and many people who would/could buy an apple TV sized monitor already have a HD monitor in the living room.

JW Pepper
Jan 9, 2007, 08:34 AM
1)

3) I don't see Apple getting into actual HDTV displays. The competition there is pretty thick, and many people who would/could buy an apple TV sized monitor already have a HD monitor in the living room.

How about a TV with wireless keyboard/internet access email and has the ability to store/record your favourite programmes to HDD, and a card reader to display your photos?

DHUK
Jan 9, 2007, 09:24 AM
I reckon iTV is going to be an apple branded 'slingbox'.

OdduWon
Jan 9, 2007, 09:35 AM
then what is this?

NO way:eek: i saw this a few weeks ago and made a mock up of what i saw. check it out (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3179472#post3179472)
when did you see this??? The ichat support icon, i mean.