PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces The iPhone

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MacRumors
Jan 9, 2007, 12:52 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In a lengthy speech that included an appearance by Google CEO Eric Schmidt and Yahoo chief Jerry Yang, Apple at long last announced the much-anticipated "iPhone."

Hardware Features
- 3.5" Widescreen touch-sensitive display
- 11.6 mm thin
- 2 megapixel camera
- proximity sensor, accelerometer, and ambient light sensors
- GSM/EDGE
- WiFI
- Bluetooth
- Battery Life: 16 hours audio, 5 hour

Software Features
- Runs version of OSX. "Full desktop-class applications"
- conference call support with up to 3 participants
- multiple SMS session support (iChat-like interface)
- Safari: first fully useable HTML browser on a phone
- "coolest photo management app ever"
- Widget support
- Yahoo IMAP mail
- Google Maps (with satellite image) integration

The phone will be offered exclusively through Cingular in the US in June, and will come to Europe in Q4 2007, and Asia in 2008. A 4 GB model will be offered for $499 with a 2 year contract, and an 8 GB model will fetch $599 with similar contract provisions.

~Shard~
Jan 9, 2007, 12:54 PM
What can I say, I'm very impressed! The price is a little on the high side, but people have to keep in mind what all you're getting for that. This is a truly revolutionary device and only the beginning. Once again, Apple has set the bar so high that it will take the competition years to catch up. :cool:

amacgenius
Jan 9, 2007, 12:57 PM
I'm impressed, but for the carrier (at least around here), features, functionality, and contract rates, it's not worth the hefty price tag.

If all that's going to be released today is the iPhone and the Apple TV then in my opinion this was a waste of a keynote, and nothing new is going to be available today.

monkeyandy
Jan 9, 2007, 01:01 PM
I don't understand the people above who are complaining about this. This is everything you wanted and more! Stop complaining and get saving for this amazing phone. Say goodbye to the Zune! :)

Dm84
Jan 9, 2007, 01:02 PM
The iPhone looks awesome, but it's just too expensive for most people.

~Shard~
Jan 9, 2007, 01:03 PM
So this exclusive Apple-Cingular partnership - where does this put us Canadians? :o ;) Uk in Q4 and Asia in 2008 - seems like a long time away....

NEENAHBOY
Jan 9, 2007, 01:04 PM
Wow, extremely disappointed that there's no MVNO. Talk about a letdown. :(

BlueRevolution
When they say iPhone prices include a 2 year contract... does that mean it's more expensive without the contract, or you're getting the contract with the price of the phone?

Hey, I can dream.

Anyway, looks awesome. Wonder when it'll be available in Canada.

Arn - how did adding photos work for you? I gotta figure that would increase bandwidth by an order of magnitude...

Now, to the Apple website...

Timpdude
I must admit.. I was not excited to see an 'iPhone' when all the rumors kept on coming over the past year. For some reason I didn't think Apple could hit the phone market with a 'bang' like they did. I think this will make Nokia, Motorola, etc... really nervous. It won't put anyone out because they are only fighting for 1% of the market (Steve said it himself), but this device will cause people to really look at what they are getting when they buy 'smartphones'. I don't look at my Treo the same way right now than I did when I woke up and started working this morning. It appears 'less of a phone' now. I wasn't to pumped to see the price, but at least it gives me a few months to save up to spend the big bucks.. I just wonder what the deal will be for me since I have only had my Treo at that point for a year and a half.. I hope they will let me upgrade (I am a cingular customer and have been for over 10 years).

Heres to the future!

Chimera
Jan 9, 2007, 01:05 PM
This is a breathtaking device that I can see alot of people wanting, especially me! I wonder who they will partner with in the UK? Congrats Apple Inc!

ich1ban
Jan 9, 2007, 01:05 PM
Wow! I saw the pics on engadget and I have to say it's awesome!!

At first I wasn't really hyped up about it, but hearing it can run OSX and other features..I want it now!

ksz
Jan 9, 2007, 01:06 PM
Very impressive! Worth the standing ovation and the $6 gain in AAPL share price.

Now the long wait begins.

How they kept the name "iPhone" is impressive in its own right!

~Shard~
When they say iPhone prices include a 2 year contract... does that mean it's more expensive without the contract, or you're getting the contract with the price of the phone?

My understanding is that the 2-year contract would be included in the price (but I could be wrong.)

retroneo

Some of the features like visual voicemail are provided network-side.

shunpike
For what it does $599 isn't bad even if it comes with a contract

WildCowboy
It'll be interesting to look back on this thread in a few years, much like we do today with the famous Thread #500, and see how people's gut reactions match up with reality.

SBG88
Jan 9, 2007, 01:09 PM
Would love the phone, but not switching to Cingular for it.

mrmma
Jan 9, 2007, 01:09 PM
Is this going to be one of those Cingular contracts where you have to pay out the nose for digital service as well? It looks like $20/month more for unlimited data (which is what you'd want with this phone).

It'd be nice to not have to get the contract with that because I spend all of my time near wireless servers where I wouldn't need to have cingular data...

Anyway, looks great.

maveness
Jan 9, 2007, 01:10 PM
I definitely want one. But I was curious that there is no hook allowing it to be a handset for iChat... which seems like a no-brainer for a bluetooth capable device.

Who knows, by June, with Leopard...

~Shard~
Jan 9, 2007, 01:12 PM
It'll be interesting to look back on this thread in a few years, much like we do today with the famous Thread #500, and see how people's gut reactions match up with reality.

Yeah, but "Thread #500" has such a better ring to it than "Thread #267804"... :p ;) :D

People also have to keep in mind that this is the first of its kind - there will be issues, there will be shortcomings and there willl be negatives. But I really like the future of this device, and yes, it will be interesting to see where things are at in a few years' time. :cool:

scan
Jan 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
does it have 850band. thats all I ask! I want it!

nagromme
Jan 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
Thread 500:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500

I do wish it cost $39 though, with no contract.

Regardless, I wanted OS X in my pocket, and now I can have it. And I can hope for real OS X apps (maybe via unsupported hack) so I can make changes to documents in a pinch.

Speaking of pinch, pinch-zooming satellite maps is too cool!

kalisphoenix
Jan 9, 2007, 01:14 PM
Holy **** that thing was cool!

*eats crow*

Manzana
Jan 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
love this phone, hate the fact that you have to have a contract.

why not pre paid cards?

kresh
Jan 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
Now admit it.

Who out there called Steve's number that showed up when the picture on Engadget showed Steve's phone synced?

hehe, hope I'm not the only fool :) It wen't to Apple customer service.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/8716/dsc0179cr0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

blindzero
Jan 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
What about those of us already on cingular? Does that mean i have to wait until i can "upgrade" my phone to get this or do I have to pay an obscene amount over the 599.

Is this gonna be the new price floor for hi-tech gadgets...First PS3, now IPhone.

Sdashiki
Jan 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
Apple linked with Cingular (soon to be AT&T, again) is just a plain, i dont know, stupid, move?

There are more carriers than Cingular, which I argue isnt the largest carrier anyway.

Granted, if you went sprint you cant use the CDMA in the EU...

But I think apple is leaving out alot of fans/customers/money by not making a phone for each provider, or at least system (GSM, CDMA etc)

Maybe im just jealous? Though, where I live, Cingular is under a class action for not providing ANY bars in a HUGE "city". LoL

j26
Jan 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
16 hour battery life????

That's terrible, and the one thing that will keep me away from it. I want a phone that will last 4-5 days at least. I'm used to about a week with my current one. 16 hours won't do for me.

Even my first mobile (11 years ago) had 24 hours life.

nostaws
I will always want one, but never own one. I am poor and a t-mobile user.

AvSRoCkCO1067
ooo what about this?

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

Sdashiki
Jan 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
16 hour battery life????

That's terrible, and the one thing that will keep me away from it. I want a phone that will last 4-5 days at least. I'm used to about a week with my current one. 16 hours won't do for me.

its 5hrs talk time (i think)
16hrs audio only (as a music player i think)

i heard no standby time, which is what you are talking about.

you truly think its only going to last 16hrs if you didnt touch it at all?

yg17
Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6540/1558; en; U; ssr))

Cingular...big ****ing mistake on Apple's part. They should sell it unlocked. Cingular is a joke. Looks like no iPhone for me.

petvas
The iPhone looks pretty amazing and I am certainly getting it when it comes to Europe and costs up to 600 Euro with no contract. More money I wouldn't spend for a phone/ipod...

What I found strange is the lack of Leopard coverage...Steve Jobs said nothing about it!!!

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 01:20 PM
Considering how difficult high end phones are to use, this looks a winner. Hopefully, they can keep the quality of the experience high, too. I'd hate to think that Cingular would hurt Apple's appearance of quality more than it's already been hurt by various events in the news.

Apple is supporting the phone, but are they doing customer service, too? So far, it seems as if they put the least knowledgeable, least caring people on the phone. That might not put them ahead of Cingular at all.

kresh
Jan 9, 2007, 01:20 PM
16 hour battery life????

The time quoted was for talk time, not standby time.

There has never been a phone with 4 or 5 days talk time.

monkeyandy
Jan 9, 2007, 01:21 PM
ooo what about this?

Nicely spotted man! That is pretty sweet! :eek:

GregA
I do wish it cost $39 though, with no contract.
Hardly possible, but cheaper would be nice.

This is a really top of the range phone. Unfortunately it's beyond my budget - and I am looking at buying a regular iPod now instead. I wonder whether a widescreen iPod would have cost as much without the touchscreen, phone etc... Then again, I'm in Australia so... 2008?

I do think Apple has done a great job on the phone, and prices can only come down over time. So does it do iChat wifi?

Rocketman
This device is very similar to the predictions I made in Macrumors posts for the past 3 months or so. The price point is a bit higher, but that is to be expected for an initial release product with massive innovation.

I wonder when Wi-max will be deployed :)

Great job Apple, Inc. :)

Rocketman

Object-X
Jan 9, 2007, 01:23 PM
Fantastic! Palm's CEO going to be eating his words now. 1%. That's funny. They are going to blow by that in the first month. :eek:

Stella
Jan 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
Very nice, plus very expensive.c

Shame Europe and Asia, the world's largest cell phone market don't get it first.

No 3G :-(

The states is a minor market.

God knows the price in Canda. Personally, I'd rather buy the phone outright than a multi year contract.

I wonder how easy it is to develop 3rd party apps etc <-- important!!

This phone will do well.

Battery life isn't amazing tho.

BTW - a new Air port base station for 'N'.

CEAbiscuit
Jan 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
I said it before. The 2nd rev of this will surely kick *ss. Will be just intime for the expiration of Verizon contract.

timnosenzo
Jan 9, 2007, 01:25 PM
I wonder if it can sync with Windows/MS Office.... I think that will impact most heavily on sales, as us Mac users are still a very small piece of the pie.

running
Jan 9, 2007, 01:26 PM
It's overpriced, it's not aviable here in Europe, it has stupid name, it has non-apple design, it has bad battery (only 5 hours????)

And it's awesome :))

Btw, if it has OS X, one should be able to run Skype on it, right?

Compile 'em all
Jan 9, 2007, 01:26 PM
The price tag and features of the iPhone reminds me of the early days of the iPod. It was way expensive for most of the people, but that changed a couple of years later. I expect the same will happen with the iPhone. The thing is packed with innovation but expensive for now. That won't hold true 2 years from now.

miniConvert
Jan 9, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm in Australia so... 2008?
I'm thinking there will be a 2nd gen before iPhone even reaches a lot of places. iChat integration just seems so glaringly obvious (IM on mobiles will surely be a killer ap) and with a lot of countries outside the USA skipping EDGE and going straight to WCDMA & HSDPA the data connectivity in this initial offering is severely lacking.

Excellent piece of kit though, Apple, well done. I think the features included are going to have massive, mass appeal. Prices do need to go down, but initially there will be many, many people prepared to pay big bucks - so it makes sense to milk it a little. Plus, if it's too cheap and adoption happens too quickly then any serious bugs that get discovered will be much more difficult and expensive to fix, especially if there are any hardware issues that become apparent over time.

j26
Jan 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
The time quoted was for talk time, not standby time.

I hope so, because it looks fantastic otherwise.

mangoman
Jan 9, 2007, 01:29 PM
I'm impressed, but for the carrier (at least around here), features, functionality, and contract rates, it's not worth the hefty price tag.

If all that's going to be released today is the iPhone and the Apple TV then in my opinion this was a waste of a keynote, and nothing new is going to be available today.

For a MacRumors Demi-God, you sure sound like a Troll.

I'll bet you'd bitch if you won the fuggin' lottery. :rolleyes:

AdeFowler
Jan 9, 2007, 01:29 PM
Did anyone mention it has "Wallpaper"? :(

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
Me neither.

My understanding is that the 2-year contract would be included in the price (but I could be wrong.)
That would be cool. I might consider if the price included a 2-year contract, but not if I have to pay a monthly fee on top of it. But the math doesn't add up for your idea.

I don't understand the people above who are complaining about this. This is everything you wanted and more! Stop complaining and get saving for this amazing phone. Say goodbye to the Zune! :)
No, we wanted an unlocked phone we could all take on any network we wanted. And this compares to the Zune the same way a Nano compares to the Zune, in other words, they are two completely different product "spaces".

16 hour battery life????

I thought that was 16 hours of music playing, like iPod lifespan.

ooo what about this?
Yes, thank you! I knew there had to be other stuff.

Cingular...big ****ing mistake on Apple's part. They should sell it unlocked. Cingular is a joke. Looks like no iPhone for me.
The joke is there was no reason Apple had to partner with anyone for this to sell it, except for the price point. They should be offering it unlocked at the Apple Store for a higher price.

bloodycape
Jan 9, 2007, 01:31 PM
No 3G....edge only what the point. EDGE is sorta old technology. And they need to bring out an unlocked version of the phone for 8gig.

Anyone know if this is a modified version of Symbian(linux based) or one of those other linux os that are available on phones?

How is this called iPhone? I thought Cisco had the rights to the name?

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
I said it before. The 2nd rev of this will surely kick *ss. Will be just intime for the expiration of Verizon contract.

Yup, I'm seeing:

better digital camera

front camera and video calls (3G will be here by that point)

better battery technology

iChat IM built in

no locking to a certain carrier

lower price

clindner
Jan 9, 2007, 01:35 PM
Did I miss it somehow, or was there news about how Apple was able to gain the right to use the name iPhone, since Linksys lists it as a registered trademark for one of their product lines???

dextertangocci
Jan 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
Cingular? Now us South African's, Europeans, Asians, Australians etc can't use it. Well done Apple. What is the problem with just selling an UNLOCKED phone?:mad:

Why must the USA be so different. The rest of the world can just buy a phone and pop a sim card into it, but noooooo, not you guys:rolleyes: Now I'll have to wait until god knows when to get this AMAZING cell phone:( :mad: How did Apple manage to use the name iPhone anyway? I thought linksys trademarked that name or something:confused:

BTW, can I just get a friend in the USA to send me one, and get it unblocked or something, and put my own simcard in it? I hope so. I can't wait so long for such a revolututionary product.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to go sulk in a corner.

timnosenzo
Jan 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
Are we really speculating about a next revision?? Christ, I thought the iPhone rumors might finally come to an end.....

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 01:38 PM
It's overpriced, it's not aviable here in Europe, it has stupid name, it has non-apple design, it has bad battery (only 5 hours????)

And it's awesome :))

Btw, if it has OS X, one should be able to run Skype on it, right?

5 hours is bad? I could only hope for that, but then, I have 3G data access on mine.

The looks are so 1970s - 1980s, but that hardly matters when the display is powered. I'm not sure you would notice how tacky the exterior looks.

Considering that Skype runs on several WiFi phones, I would think that it would be available by the time the phone is launched.

afields
Jan 9, 2007, 01:38 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm abosolutely blown away by this!!! great job apple!!

Buschmaster
Jan 9, 2007, 01:40 PM
Well I'm switching to Cingular this summer.

Not even kidding.

kresh
Jan 9, 2007, 01:41 PM
Cingular? Now us South African's, Europeans, Asians, Australians etc can't use it. Well done Apple. What is the problem with just selling an UNLOCKED phone?:mad:

Why must the USA be so different. The rest of the world can just buy a phone and pop a sim card into it, but noooooo, not you guys:rolleyes: Now I'll have to wait until god knows when to get this AMAZING cell phone:( :mad: How did Apple manage to use the name iPhone anyway? I thought linksys trademarked that name or something:confused:

BTW, can I just get a friend in the USA to send me one, and get it unblocked or something, and put my own simcard in it? I hope so. I can't wait so long for such a revolututionary product.

There's nothing stopping some fine South African company building a killer phone, selling it in South Africa, and coming to your rescue. :)

Global economy not withstanding, Apple Inc. is an American company, traded on an American Stock Exchange. Why would you really expect it to be different?

yellow
My boss just told me that I would be getting one when they come out. Score!

ieani
what do you do if you want the phone but your plan expires in April? any ideas?

eme jota ce
Jan 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
I'd consider the iPhone at this price point if (1) it works with my Nike+ and will let me sell the Nano (2) it's rugged enough for that use.

JoeTheMacUser
Jan 9, 2007, 01:43 PM
Heres whats great about this keynote:
Apple TV Great! Love the whole thing very nice, price just about right.
iPhone Oh my god have there been rumours about this one device I Love the whole sexy look of it, and a mini os x! Great! Fantastic upgrade to the airport extreme base.

Heres the bad things:
Wheres ilife, iwork, more information on leopard and "One more thing.."
A bit upset the UK has to until Q4, wheres the price for the rest of the world? and one big bad thing is the whole 4gb and 8gb. If its a widescreen that means great for watching movies and tv shows and all that stuff but aren't itunes movies 1gb (rough) each? Steve promised tv shows in UK by 2007.

It just seems the rest of the world is being left behind. And I think I will need those months of waiting for the iphone to come out to save up!

However I shall be buying the 3 products that apple have brought out today :D I'm such a hypocrite Lol

dextertangocci
There's nothing stopping some fine South African company building a killer phone, selling it in South Africa, and coming to your rescue. :)

Global economy not withstanding, Apple Inc. is an American company, traded on an American Stock Exchange. Why would you really expect it to be different?

The words "fine" and "South African company" should not be used together;)

Kingsly
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SeaFox

Yeah, that's what I want know. How can they call it the iPhone?

I just noticed the "Cingular" branding is part of the screen image only. It's on the line with the clock and signal strength, but not on the device itself. So it can be removed via software. :)

Romanesq
Jan 9, 2007, 01:44 PM

Especially for all those would be blueberry, palm buyers, not. :D

Manatee
I can't wait to get it!

I hope I'll be able to connect my T-Mobile phone with it so I can get on the internet. :) (Or better yet, my Verizon phone, with EV-DO.)

petvas
This device (its not only a phone) is certainly the most amazing thing I have ever seen the last 20 years of my life (technology-related :d)
The battery life isnt standby, 5 hours of talk time and/or 16 hours of music playback isnt bad. For me the battery will be ok if it lasts for a normal 16 - 20 hour day. At night I can always sync and charge it...

I don't know why it lacks UMTS support, maybe the european version will have one...I hope so!!! Anyway I think I am getting it...

Now, WHAT HAPPENED TO LEOPARD???????
I know that Apple wanted to concentrate on the iPhone but at least a mention on the progress along with a couple of features, wouldnt hurt anyone...

MacsomJRR
Quite simply irresistible. Can't wait til June!!!!

darwen
Jan 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
Great product! I love everything about it!

...except for the whole cingular bit. How is Apple going to get 10M users with only one provider? So we cant have the new iPod or the new internet device unless we go to cingular? Seems a bit odd.

I really want one though... PERFECT DEVICE!

uNext
Jan 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
Garbage-besides osx mobile welcome to 2004

No iLife 07? No iWork 07? No leopard preview?
Release a wireless express with no audio connector with airtunes?

I guess because of itv that technology is done for. Apple wants you to lash out 299 in every room to have wireless music on every room Great going APPLE.

Overall i was more excited with microsoft home domination path.

dante@sisna.com
Jan 9, 2007, 01:48 PM

Yes agreed. This is a Quantum Leap forward in technology. This is so much more than a phone with an iPod -- this is the real deal.

I am preordering the moment I can.

schatten
Jan 9, 2007, 01:50 PM
Everyone's freaking out about how expensive this device is. I don't think they're seeing the big picture.

This thing isn't just a phone, it's pretty much a portable computer. It runs Mac OS X, surfs the web, runs apps, has a touch screen.... It's way cheaper than a laptop and can do almost as much!

I think the price is not bad at all, considering.

patseguin
I know Steve made no mention of Leopard or it's "top secret" features. However, after looking at screenshots of the iPhone UI, I wonder if we are getting a sneak peak at the new Leopard UI. I notice alot of use of blacks and heavy transparency. Not the usual OS X colors or styles.

carlgo
There was some mention of "it knows where you are", so does it have gps?
Also, no mention of the screen material. It is obviously big and vulnerable, so zirconium or something?

ccroo
Won'tcha be constantly smudging up that beautiful screen by dragging your finger all over it?

Cougarcat
Jan 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
So when you sync the iPhone with iTunes will it sync your Dashboard widgets as well? That would be totally awesome.

tkidBOSTON
Jan 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
I'm saving now...
Unfortuantely the battery stinks. I wonder how long it last in "only phone" mode?

Romanesq

A friend in the telecom industry says you can retain your carrier and connect to Cingular with the phone.

He said it's no big deal. If you don't have a carrier then of course you'd sign up via Cingular.
:cool:

bwilfong
Great looking phone but being tied to the new/old at&t with no other choices makes it a non-started.

darwen

I think most of the time you can keep your phone and contract paying the same rate until you cancel. Whatever service provider you have will just keep charging you the same amount as if you had the contract still. They still want your money. At least that is how it worked when my Verizon contract ended.

Compile 'em all
My boss just told me that I would be getting one when they come out. Score!

Do you have any job opening at your company :D :o ?

Belly-laughs
I guess itīs using nVidiaīs new chipset and due to itīs delayed release it is the reason why we canīt have it before summer/autumn/winter.

Shame.

mikeh123
Jan 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
I would say it is cingular only in the US and other perhaps selected providers in Europe.

Thats why they have the EDGE and GSM formats.

Belly-laughs
Jan 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
I guess itīs using nVidiaīs new chipset, and due to itīs delayed release that is the reason why we canīt have it before summer/autumn/winter.

Shame.

MacMyDay
Jan 9, 2007, 01:54 PM
I'm thinking there will be a 2nd gen before iPhone even reaches a lot of places. iChat integration just seems so glaringly obvious (IM on mobiles will surely be a killer ap) and with a lot of countries outside the USA skipping EDGE and going straight to WCDMA & HSDPA the data connectivity in this initial offering is severely lacking.

I'd buy them for my company right now, if I could. But, I agree. I was very surprised by the lack of iChat on the phone, so expect it to be added quickly.
Or maybe, like with OS X, you'll be able to download new applications for your phone via apple.com.

darwen
A friend in the telecom industry says you can retain your carrier and connect to Cingular with the phone.

He said it's no big deal. If you don't have a carrier then of course you'd sign up via Cingular.

Please explain. Are you paying both companies? It says with a contract therefore you need to setup another contract, right? More money = bad.

X_Entity
Fantastic product. Really looking forward to the UK launch.

However can Apple keep pace in the fast moving cell phone business ?

cxny
Jan 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
But I just locked into a year w/ t-Mobile. They should not do exclusives.
Anyway it'll take a year to go to "Rev B" My AAPL gains today alone would pay for it though!

lorien
Jan 9, 2007, 01:56 PM
The iPhone looks pretty amazing and I am certainly getting it when it comes to Europe and costs up to 600 Euro with no contract. More money I wouldn't spend for a phone/ipod...

What I found strange is the lack of Leopard coverage...Steve Jobs said nothing about it!!!

I agree!! Where was the Mac in Macworld? Like the iPhone, but missed the pussycat :cool:

calculus
Well all the way through my credit card was quivering with anticipation. Hugely disappointed by the (up to) twelve month wait. It will be interesting to see what the UK pricing model is - I don't think people will go for a two year contract.

Great device though - maybe I should start saving so I can get one with real money...

iKwick7
Yes, Cingular only is dumb. Who knows how long that exclusive relationship is though. Hopefully only 6 months or so. I can handle leaving T-Mobile (my 2 years has long since expired) to get this phone.

I'm quite please that it doesn't come out until June- that gives me more than enough time to put a little bit of money aside for it. :)

Mogenshu
Jan 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
I can't help notice that release dates were set for the entire world except for canada. Anyone else notice this?

Romanesq
Jan 9, 2007, 01:58 PM
I'm saving now...
Unfortuantely the battery stinks. I wonder how long it last in "only phone" mode?

Telecom friend already said there is a better battery available too.
So I wouldn't be too concerned about that. :cool:

SeaFox
Isn't this thing going to be pretty worthless for the internet functions in most of the country? I mean, we're talking about downloading full versions of webpages, not mobile versions, and regular emails, not plain text. You would have to be in a city with high-speed mobile internet access (not many) and you'd have to pay for all this data usage. There's no WiFi after all (oh, there's another feature for revision 2).

This is going to be a freak'n expensive phone to own, not just buy.

nemaslov
I thought it was interesting that Jobs played the Beatles and showed Sgt. Pepper on the iPhone screen. For a moment I thought he would bring Paul and Ringo out and announce the Beatles on iTunes... Interesting choice and maybe a clue of things to come?

balamw
Jan 9, 2007, 02:01 PM
There's no WiFi after all (oh, there's another feature for revision 2).
!?! The iPhone rev 1 arelady has WiFi?

B

iN8
Jan 9, 2007, 02:01 PM
Can I connect it to my 30" and use it for gaming? If not, it sux!

:D

codo
Jan 9, 2007, 02:02 PM
Everyone's freaking out about how expensive this device is. I don't think they're seeing the big picture.

This thing isn't just a phone, it's pretty much a portable computer. It runs Mac OS X, surfs the web, runs apps, has a touch screen.... It's way cheaper than a laptop and can do almost as much!

I think your taking it to far, to be perfectly honest.

It's not the same version of OS X you have running on your Macintosh. Can you chuck standard OS X apps at it? No? Then its not Mac OS X, its a mobile operating system branded OS X.

My phone plays music, has a calendar, makes calls, and syncs with my PC & Mac etc etc. The revolution is the interface and industrial design, there is nothing revolutionary about the basic functions it performs, and whilst that doesn't make the device any less impressive, don't mistake the device for something it isn't - A computer replacement. I couldn't rid myself of my MacBook in favour of an iPhone current.

tvguru
I can't help notice that release dates were set for the entire world except for canada. Anyone else notice this?

Nope, none of the Canadians noticed. :rolleyes:
lol
That's all I'm doing is trying to find out the release date. Guess I'll have to wait for a Canadian newspaper to report on it or something. :mad:

Chimera
Engadget is first to post LIVE pictures:

http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/73044813/

maniacmedia
This should come as no surprise to anyone. I called Cingular customer service as I am currently due for an upgrade. I held out a month after my contract to find out about the iPhone announcement.

Upon asking about options for upgrading to the iPhone when it comes out, I was greeted with "What kind of phone?" She had no idea of what I was talking about. But said that I could do a discounted upgrade with a two year contract extension when the iPhone is released.

Time for the wait and see to begin.

codo

I think your taking it to far, to be perfectly honest.

It's not the same version of OS X you have running on your Macintosh. Can you chuck standard OS X apps at it? No? Then its not Mac OS X, its a mobile operating system branded OS X.

My phone plays music, has a calendar, makes calls, and syncs with my PC & Mac etc etc. The revolution is the interface and industrial design, there is nothing revolutionary about the basic functions it performs, and whilst that doesn't make the device any less impressive, don't mistake the device for something it isn't - A computer replacement. I couldn't rid myself of my MacBook in favour of an iPhone tomorrow.

gugy
Jan 9, 2007, 02:03 PM

yeah, I am in the same boat. I hate Cingular. They are sucks where I live.

I am just surprised why we just don't have a widescreen ipod. just the ipod with 100gig storage. That's what I was hoping for.

I like the phone but $599 for only 8gig storage?:mad:

SamIchi
Jan 9, 2007, 02:03 PM
I would've liked to have seen a camera on the phone, but you can't have everything I guess.

dextertangocci
Jan 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
If this is meant to be an iPod replacement, how can it be only 4GB's and 8GB's? That's stupid, for a VIDEO ipod. A movie from the iTunes store is about 1GB, plus you want to store all your photo's and music:confused: 30GB is not enough for me, nor is 60GB...

Freebart
Reuters quotes a Cisco spokesperson saying they expect to announce an agreement over the iPhone trademark:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2007-01-09T190050Z_01_N09161330_RTRIDST_0_APPLE-IPHONE-CISCO-URGENT.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna

Porco
I think it looks completely awesome and is the kick up the backside the mobile/cell phone has needed for years. I really really hope I can get one on my network (here in the UK) by the end of the year - I'm sold already, it's everything I wanted it to be and I think Apple will make an absolute fortune on these.

Apple, I have money sitting here for your phone, hurry up and release it in the UK!

Evangelion
Jan 9, 2007, 02:05 PM
Apple has completely blown me away with this product. It is absolutely stunning. I tried to imagine what it would be like, and they surpassed even my wildest expectations.

Now, there are few letdowns:

a) no 3G

b) The delay in availability in Europe. European cell-phone market is HUGE. Why the delay? Why in gods name?!?

joshiieee
Jan 9, 2007, 02:06 PM
I think the phone looks great. My problem with it, however, is the flash drive. 4GB nor 8GB is enough to hold very many full-length movies and definitely not enough to hold an entire television series. That doesn't even include space for music and everything else. I think it's overpriced for the space provided.

Now, I'm still waiting for a real widescreen video iPod that is hard drive based.

tvguru
Jan 9, 2007, 02:06 PM
I would've liked to have seen a camera on the phone, but you can't have everything I guess.

Get off the forums and read about it, 2mp camera. :D

Philsy
Jan 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
So, Apple produces a phone and launches it only in the one market in the world that hasn't fully embraced mobile phones. Oh, and it's not 3G.

Something's wrong here... :confused:

deebers
Jan 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
Well, I have one thing to say…

I WANT ONE! It truly is internet in your pocket… and with Wifi growing everywhere, Apple is once again, miles ahead of competition!

I am worried about the network they will choose to use in the UK. I really don't want to change mine. Maybe they're making this announcement so early so the current mobile providers can prepare for this influx of high bandwidth mobile users in time for its release?

I also wonder how compatible it will be with Windows users? I know they have their own version of iTunes, but surely now, they should have calendars, contacts lists, iPhoto and stuff to sync with their iPhone? Otherwise, will it just be Mac users who can use all the features efficiently? I'm sure Apple have thought of that though - with the keyboard, it looks like you can enter the info directly into the iPhone - which is a feature the current iPod lacks.

The graphics on this iPhone should resemble the new interface in Leopard. I'm sure I read it here. I like it - I feel the brushed metal look is getting a bit dated.

Another thing - how does this tie in with the other non-Apple iPhone? Are they allowed to sell products with the same name?

SLAPSHOTW
Jan 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
There's no WiFi after all (oh, there's another feature for revision 2).

It does have wifi-- he mentioned it in the presentation and it's on the specs page:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html

Romanesq
Jan 9, 2007, 02:10 PM
Please explain. Are you paying both companies? It says with a contract therefore you need to setup another contract, right? More money = bad.

I'm not 100% sure but I think there's some software that allows you to link to your regular carrier from what my colleague said using what they call an unlocking code. Hope I understood it right.

Eraserhead
I thought it was interesting that Jobs played the Beatles and showed Sgt. Pepper on the iPhone screen. For a moment I thought he would bring Paul and Ringo out and announce the Beatles on iTunes... Interesting choice and maybe a clue of things to come?

Maybe another time, iLife and iWork 07 haven't been released yet.

Anyway the iPhone is the first gadget that I want to buy right now. It looks amazing, yes it's expensive, but TBH it's worth it, I will probably call Orange in the next few days (once the staff know about it) and ask about UK availability.

Antares
it has bad battery (only 5 hours????)

5 hours is normal for a phone. Heck, the Motorola Razr has what?...3, 3.5 hours talk time?

maniacmedia
Jan 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
I was a bit disappointed in the lack of 3G, but overall I was blown away by the product. I feel like LG, Motorola, Samsung, et al are going to be playing catch up well past the release of iPhone.

Mogenshu
Jan 9, 2007, 02:12 PM
lol
That's all I'm doing is trying to find out the release date. Guess I'll have to wait for a Canadian newspaper to report on it or something. :mad:

Well make sure you post back here if you find anything and I'll do the same.

Freebart
Has anyone see any developer information yet?

What kind of CPU is in the Apple iPhone?

How about VOIP support, to remove Cingular from the equation all together?

I could see some cool applications for this as a mini-tablet computer, regardless of the cellular capabilities.

Evangelion
Anyone know if this is a modified version of Symbian(linux based) or one of those other linux os that are available on phones?

Do you guys actually read the specs? Apparently it has OS X. No Symbian and no Linux. Besides, Symbian is not based on Linux. Symbian is it's own OS altogether.

xenotaku
I think the phone looks great. My problem with it, however, is the flash drive. 4GB nor 8GB is enough to hold very many full-length movies and definitely not enough to hold an entire television series. That doesn't even include space for music and everything else. I think it's overpriced for the space provided.

Now, I'm still waiting for a real widescreen video iPod that is hard drive based.

You are missing the point...its a mobile device. Download what you want to your mac and upload what ya need on the road to the phone before ya go.

pjkelnhofer
Jan 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
Just a couple of thoughts. I think the iPhone is an incredible device. Unfortunately, the partnership with Cingular makes it useless to me as anyone I know with a Cingular phone gets zero reception at my house (I live about 75 miles outside Boston in an area that is very hilly). So until (if ever) I move or Verizon (the only carrier I have found to have good reception in my neighborhood) offers the iPhone, I could use it even if I wanted it.

I have one question that seems unanswered by the Keynote. Will there be a widescreen version of the iPod with more storage (HD based) that is not a phone as well? Basically, what happens to the Video iPod with the introduction of the iPhone? Obviously, not everyone is going to replace there cellphone when they want a new iPod, and if you want to take your whole music library with you the iPhone is not nearly big enough storage wise. So were does that leave us?

slicecom
Jan 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
I was so excited about this phone right up until I found out it was Cingular exclusive. Thanks Apple, you just saved me $600. I'll keep my POS RAZR.

KindredMAC
Jan 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
I say this with conviction this year.

Since Apple has changed their name, let's change MacWorld's name to AppleWorld while we are at it.

The iPhone... thoroughly put to sleep as I read the MacRumors live feed. Come on people, lets look past the fact that this is an Apple product and look at what it really is.... a Blackberry with a full touch screen. Sure it has its cool little features and every feature has been thought out very well, but it is still a cell phone that plays music and video.

I know that I am the minority here because I can't stand to have a cell phone and that there are many out there that feel that they cannot live without one, so this thing doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Especially when it has a throat slitting price of $499 and $599 AND it ties you to the devil for 2 years.

The final reason I have an issue with it.... did it really need an hour and a half of the keynote's time to talk about it? What a complete waste of resources. Steve would have been better off releasing the new Airport Extreme today instead of the whisper quiet release in the store this afternoon.

Also, where was the Quad Core Mac Pros? Where was an iSight update? Where was display update? Maybe even an iMac or Mac mini update? Just something MAC related.

We didn't even see ANYTHING on LEOPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or the old stand by iLIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to jump out of my office window when I read that John Mayer was playing and the show was over........ This was NOT a MACWORLD.

admanimal
Jan 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
I prefer to carry just a relatively simple cell phone, but I would love an iPhone minus the actual phone stuff to use for email/iPod/iChat/web over WiFi.

jmsait19
just saw the specs on the blackjack from samsung... can get a card to hold up to 2 gig of data... iPhone shoots that out of the water...

on EDGE... since it doesn't release til June do you think it will support 3G and they will just slip it in there... as they did with the processor bump in the orignial macbook pros... it will look generous on apples part if they do...

on price... as some have said, there really is quite a ton of functionality in this device... far more storage than any other phone device... the new top-end smartphones always are expensive, near the iPhone mark... meaning there isn't that much of a premium on it becuase its a cool apple device.

on choosing cingular... i don't know why exactly but you have to think there is a reason for this. jobs wouldn't do this unless it was beneficial to keep the apple experience intact...

benguild
I'm a little disappointed... $499 with a two year contract?
That thing is huge too. I demand an iPhone Nano. :P

dante@sisna.com
Jan 9, 2007, 02:16 PM

There is a 2MP camera on it.

kalisphoenix
Jan 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
For

Keep tryin' there, li'l buddy.

"I think I can...
I think I can...
I think I can..."

Philsy
Jan 9, 2007, 02:18 PM
So, Apple produces a phone and launches it only in the one market in the world that hasn't fully embraced mobile phones. Oh, and it's not 3G.

Something's wrong here... :confused:

weg
16 hour battery life????

It says 16 hours audio, not "standby".

xenotaku
A MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR issue that nobody has adressed.......Is the battery removable? I ALWAYS find the need to replace my battery, as they die within 2 years. Is this phone going to have the same battery issues at iPods? How is the replacement plan going to work if its not removable?

BlueRevolution
Jan 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
I can't believe they're calling it OS X. They should call it OS X Mobile or something, because claiming it's running OS X is all manner of misleading.

joshiieee
Jan 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
You are missing the point...its a mobile device. Download what you want to your mac and upload what ya need on the road to the phone before ya go.

I'm not missing the point at all. When I fly or travel I like to put a bunch of movies or tv shows on my iPod, because who knows what I'll be in the mood for when I'm in the mood for it. For $599, I want more space - that's the point. Feel free to care less if you want, but that's how I feel.

williedigital
could this thing "replace" laptop? Would it be possible to run a docking station through the ipod connector thing so that you could use a real monitor? Then have a real mouse and keyboard via blutooth? THAT would make this thing killer. Then again, I guess they would have to make an MS Office "widget" which aint happening.

onlytobbe
My current contract ends in Q4 2007. Coincident? I think not! :p

Im hoping we will get something extra for the long wait, 3G is a must, but maybe front camera for those video calls (And iChat built in maybe?)

Will the googlemap have some sort of gps funktion? That would be sweet!
Using the iPhone as a modem for your macbook would also be interesting.

Now where is my 12" macbook pro with Leopard, iWork/iLife 07, Apertue 2.0 and a updated .Macgoogle service... ? :(

greenrider
Jan 9, 2007, 02:21 PM

Dude...do you know what an MVNO is? It's just a marketing overlay onto an existing carrier's network.

If Apple had an MVNO agreement with Cingular, it would be the same exact network underneath. No change in service at all. You'd make your checks out to a different company, but that's about it. And doing it via an Apple MVNO would mean that existing Cingular customers would have to break their contracts to join. Astonishingly idiotic move.

Steve Jobs has first-hand experience about why MVNOs shouldn't be undertaken lightly: look how quickly Disney pulled the ESPN MVNO earlier last year!

dante@sisna.com

Since Apple has changed their name, let's change MacWorld's name to AppleWorld while we are at it.

The iPhone... thoroughly put to sleep as I read the MacRumors live feed. Come on people, lets look past the fact that this is an Apple product and look at what it really is.... a Blackberry with a full touch screen. Sure it has its cool little features and every feature has been thought out very well, but it is still a cell phone that plays music and video.

I know that I am the minority here because I can't stand to have a cell phone and that there are many out there that feel that they cannot live without one, so this thing doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Especially when it has a throat slitting price of $499 and $599 AND it ties you to the devil for 2 years.

The final reason I have an issue with it.... did it really need an hour and a half of the keynote's time to talk about it? What a complete waste of resources. Steve would have been better off releasing the new Airport Extreme today instead of the whisper quiet release in the store this afternoon.

Also, where was the Quad Core Mac Pros? Where was an iSight update? Where was display update? Maybe even an iMac or Mac mini update? Just something MAC related.

We didn't even see ANYTHING on LEOPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or the old stand by iLIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to jump out of my office window when I read that John Mayer was playing and the show was over........ This was NOT a MACWORLD.

This is the best MacWorld ever for this reason:

Apple just insured their longterm survival and growth as a company with 2 hugely innovative products. Now we can all breath deep and know that our Mac Pro line is safe well into the future.

Sign me up for the Phone and Apple TV to go with my Mac Pro Quad and G5 Quad.

zoozx
Overpriced,
even if ahead of the rest. Apple should have under priced it to gain market before others move in to compete with similar products. Open ended but option to use Cingular at a very reduced price.

Now if Jobs kicks off, I'm the new CEO with a brighter more reasonbly priced future.

jwp1964
Jan 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
For those waiting on the larger screen, larger HD iPod and Mac announcements...SJ said "We'll see you again real soon." Just a little patience...;)

morespce54
Jan 9, 2007, 02:22 PM

Agree. Unless you were up for a "blackberry-like" device... :(

Evangelion
Jan 9, 2007, 02:23 PM

Sheesh.... It's Cingular-only IN THE USA! Not so in the rest of the world. SJ specificly said that iPhone will be available in Europe. Did you even read the keynote-coverage?

RichP
Jan 9, 2007, 02:23 PM
How could this phone be on Verizon? Verizon has the most LOCKED-DOWN network of the carriers. All their phones support only their UI, and are very crippled compared to their non-Verizon counterparts.

Fretbuzzer
Jan 9, 2007, 02:26 PM
Anybody else think that the tech design could also be used for a revolution in the notebook market?

This type of interface would blow all current tablet PC's away...

AtHomeBoy_2000
If Apple can work towards offering this through other providers, it'll be HUGE! If I could get a CDMA Verzion version for $499, i'd REALLY consider it.

kildjean
Your phone 11 years ago had 24 hours of battery life and stored only phone numbers....

This phone is a computer, music player, camera, and internet phone. You can't possibly expect it to have that much power to last more than 8 hours tops. most of the time you are at work you can have it connected to the USB to charge.

If not, go back to your 24 hour life phone of 11 years...

16 hour battery life????

Whistleway
Jan 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
Agree. Unless you were up for a "blackberry-like" device... :(

Huh? The new blackberry pearl is 50 bucks with a similar contract at the network of your choice.

This phone will appeal none except hardcore mac fans. For the rest of the world, a big yawn.

DUCKofD3ATH
Pros:

Uber-cool design

Motorola's pwned! Little more than a year after the Motorola E790 Apple iTunes phone disaster, Apple shows how phone design should be done!

Apple must have worked something out with the Beatles, maybe their library will be available on iTunes soon.

Cons:

Not available in brown

How do you use this thing in cold weather? Will the interface work at all if you're wearing gloves?

What about a protective case? I'd hate to drop it on the floor with no iSkin or some such, but will the touch sensitive surface work with a case?

wetrix
You guys will probably all have you second revision iPhones before the original even makes it to me in New Zealand where it'll be overloaded with vodafone crap and red logos :-(

Kid Red
Jan 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
I was so excited about this phone right up until I found out it was Cingular exclusive. Thanks Apple, you just saved me $600. I'll keep my POS RAZR.

Same here, but with T-Mobile. I was all set to get the iPhone, until I found out it was exclusive. Oh well. I'll wait for the next iPod I guess.

AtHomeBoy_2000
For those waiting on the larger screen, larger HD iPod and Mac announcements...SJ said "We'll see you again real soon." Just a little patience...;)

He says that all the time.

JohnHummel
What I find most interesting is the "full fledged OS X" for the system.

This could have some interesting implications:

1. Easier to develop apps for: nothing is more annoying than trying to find an app for your phone, which is why I use a Treo (plenty of Palm apps that still run just fine). Now, everybody who does OS X development will probably be able to make an iPhone app with just a GUI change.

2. I'm going to bet that this is running Leopard.

3. How "complete" is this OS X? If I can open up a terminal prompt to SSH into a box - or, better yet, open up a program like Voodoopad or other editor, then I can truly work on the go - type away, then watch a movie. I don't expect a ton of "multiple apps running at the same time" kind of thing - but if the possibilities are there, then run with it.

4. The return of the Newton?

BlueRevolution
How could this phone be on Verizon? Verizon has the most LOCKED-DOWN network of the carriers. All their phones support only their UI, and are very crippled compared to their non-Verizon counterparts.

Cingular..?

maniacmedia
Jan 9, 2007, 02:29 PM
One issue that I've not seen addressed. Can you actually use it in flight on a commercial airliner? They don't allow cell phones to be powered on during flight. If you decide to watch a movie, can you do so without causing an Air Marshal to drop you?

dante@sisna.com
Watch the Phone Demo on Apple.com and then tell me that 1) the Phone is overpriced for the technology and interface and 2) your current smart phone can browse like this.

I am sold.

Romanesq
A MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR issue that nobody has adressed.......Is the battery removable? I ALWAYS find the need to replace my battery, as they die within 2 years. Is this phone going to have the same battery issues at iPods? How is the replacement plan going to work if its not removable?

As mentioned, I've been told by a telecom colleague there is an upgrade battery that will be available.

Thataboy
Jan 9, 2007, 02:30 PM
1. I don't understand how he can say it includes OS X when it seems to not include it at all. Rather, isn't it just OS X technologies? A real coup would be if it DID include the full OS X -- then we'd have thousands of apps to use from Day 1 instead of just Stocks Widget, Google Maps, and Notes. Lingering questions remain -- no iChat? Is this OS open to developers? Can we use Dashcode to make iPhone widgets?

2. God I hate Cingular. 2G in mid-2007? Are you kidding me with this? Sprint is going 4G in select cities by the end of this year! Yeah, I can't use my Sprint Treo in Mykonos or Luxembourg, but golly gee, I spend almost all my time in the US (and when I'm not, cell phone is turned OFF).

3. They CLEARLY have the technology to make a hard-drive based widescreen iPod. Seriously, they should have released one. 6 months from now the only widescreen iPod is going to be an 8GB cap?

4. How can they have TOTALLY ignored iLife/iWork/Leopard? I guess those top secret features werent interesting enough for a showstopping keynote.

5. But wow, that iPhone design is lusty.

BulkHedd
Jan 9, 2007, 02:30 PM
I think the reason they had to partner with a specific carrier was the "Visual Voicemail" feature. They already had a relationship with Cingular from the ROKR phone, plus isn't Cingular one of the only truly nationwide carriers? I know where I live (Arkansas) we don't even have Verizon or T-Mobile.

kildjean
Jan 9, 2007, 02:31 PM
Huh? The new blackberry pearl is 50 bucks with a similar contract at the network of your choice.

This phone will appeal none except hardcore mac fans. For the rest of the world, a big yawn.

Blackberry is like a primitive form of rock and paper... that uses a slingshot to send info up and down....

this is the future... stick with it or stay behind...

JackAxe
Jan 9, 2007, 02:31 PM
Unlocked version please. I will "never" switch to Cingular. :(

This is the freaking cooooooooolest device I've ever seeeeen. :eek: It makes my Sony Clié, which I paid $600 for several years back look like a Univac.

<]=)

ipoppy
Jan 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
Short and sweet. I don't know what you think people but i am happy that iPhone will be here in UK by end of this year. Think about it.......too much too new technology put into that phone. I can see problems, compatibility and etc. at least till next revision, which hopefully will be released by end of this year.
The price...well good enough but i can't see myself sign for 2 years contract for the same phone. I am sure tariffs will be expensive too, like always here in UK by Vodaphone or O2.
So...wait and watch what might happened with that phone yet.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Romanesq
Jan 9, 2007, 02:33 PM
Same here, but with T-Mobile. I was all set to get the iPhone, until I found out it was exclusive. Oh well. I'll wait for the next iPod I guess.

Somewhat overstating the situation. Sounds like only a six month exclusive.
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0609cingulariphone.html

nemaslov
Jan 9, 2007, 02:33 PM
Overpriced,
even if ahead of the rest. Apple should have under priced it to gain market before others move in to compete with similar products. Open ended but option to use Cingular at a very reduced price.

Now if Jobs kicks off, I'm the new CEO with a brighter more reasonbly priced future.

So it starts at only $150 more than the ZUNE and does so much more (except for far less storage). Much more than just "squirting." :D

kildjean
Jan 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
Why must the USA be so different.

Because they are cool and throw bombs if you threaten them... ;) (im not american, though i live there).

*pat*

Daringescape
Jan 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
that is strange to see no news whatsoever about leopard.

I hope the iPhone ships with leopard.

dante@sisna.com
Jan 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
Anybody else think that the tech design could also be used for a revolution in the notebook market?

You can take this comment to the Bank -- And so will Apple.

2007 is the year Apple REALLY explodes.

Amazing Stuff.

Thank you Steve and Company.

tehdee
Jan 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
lol

...traditionally, we've seen Rogers and Cingular releasing essentially the same line-up. Maybe he didn't specifically mention Canada, because Apple/Cingular may be in negotiations with Rogers.

still though, no HSDPA/UMTS is weird. especially seeing as Cingular is already rolling out 3.5G service in most major cities, with Canada not far behind.

we may see a second gen device for Europe with euro spec 3 g, and then a THIRD gen north american model with NA spec 3.5G

Romanesq
Jan 9, 2007, 02:36 PM
I think the reason they had to partner with a specific carrier was the "Visual Voicemail" feature. They already had a relationship with Cingular from the ROKR phone, plus isn't Cingular one of the only truly nationwide carriers? I know where I live (Arkansas) we don't even have Verizon or T-Mobile.

I learned today that Verizon tried to sign the deal but failed.
Cingular apparently is the largest carrier in the US.

xDANx
Jan 9, 2007, 02:38 PM
canada's cell phone market is quite similar to the US (mixed CDMA/GSM, contracts are commonly used to subsidize phone purchases, and all the phones are locked to the service providers), although 1/10 the size obviously...so i imagine that it will be the same kind of setup, except substitute rogers or fido for cingular (i would guess rogers, just because they're the most dominant GSM provider in canada). oh, and that US$499/599 turns into CDN$599/699 (roughly).

So this exclusive Apple-Cingular partnership - where does this put us Canadians? :o ;) Uk in Q4 and Asia in 2008 - seems like a long time away....

j26
I'm used to a phone that does much of what the iPhone will do and it lasts a week or more.

cecildk9999
I wonder if Cingular got the phone because they offered the best subsidizing for its cost. I think I read on roughlydrafted, that the phone would probably retail standalone for about $1200. T-Mobile's been my provider for 4 years now, but talk about a reason to consider switching!

SamIchi
Jan 9, 2007, 02:39 PM
Get off the forums and read about it, 2mp camera. :D

Really?.... why isn't it (is that grammatically correct?) mentioned on the Apple site? I'll take another look.

EDIT: I see... They have it in the tech specs. That's cool.

baleensavage
I prefer to carry just a relatively simple cell phone, but I would love an iPhone minus the actual phone stuff to use for email/iPod/iChat/web over WiFi.

I'll second that one. Take away the cell phone and make it a wifi iPod video with all the web browsing capabilities then drop the price accordingly and I'd buy one. Otherwise, I'll stick to my RAZR.

wattage
For the first time in a long time I can say......I am Glad I am with CINGULAR!

Battery life is a concern for me. I use a Palm for work and have many downloaded programs from Skyscape and others...wonder if they will load on the iPhone??

giles117
One issue that I've not seen addressed. Can you actually use it in flight on a commercial airliner? They don't allow cell phones to be powered on during flight. If you decide to watch a movie, can you do so without causing an Air Marshal to drop you?

I use my sidekick in airplane mode on commercial airliners all the time.

I hope the offer a prepaid plan. Personally I dont like cingular's service, but as a Sweet PDA, this thing looks to rock.

I Expect there will be a BIG market for iPhone widgets.

AtHomeBoy_2000
I am wondering how this works now that it wont be launched until June. I bet more providers will be allowed starting Jan of 2008 (perfect timing for MacWorld ;) ).

Also, ThinkSecret tends to not always be reliable. Take it with several grains of salt.

iKwick7

That's what I've been saying/thinking. I really only seeing this as a Cingular exclusive through 2007.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 9, 2007, 02:40 PM
A bit pricey, not available for another 9-12 months, but apart from that I have only one thing to say: I want one. Bad!

:D

revfife
Jan 9, 2007, 02:40 PM
From that old 500 thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500):

"I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!"

Deja Vu with this thread? :D

lord patton
Jan 9, 2007, 02:41 PM

yes. I think that's exactly right. And if Apple holds key patents to this tech, watch out everybody.

JohnHummel
Jan 9, 2007, 02:42 PM

Bah - I've never turned mine off on a flght - and most of the time if you're worried, you can turn off the wireless (my Blackberry will let you do that). Then you only have to leave it off during take-off/landings because they're certain that some terrorist will start screaming "I have a phone! I will turn it on unless my demands are met!", and then the plane will never be able to land without blowing up.

As for me - I leave mine on anyway, and just slip it in my pocket for a few minutes.

boneca
Like it was said before, very impressive iPhone presentation but no Leopard preview?
It's kinda funny. My 2 years contract with Cingular expires on July 11th this year and I was seriously thinking about switching to other company (T-mobile) most likely. Now I don't know, I guess by the time I'll need to make a final decision I'll be able to see iPhone in action...

by the way just ordered Blackberry Pearl yesterday free thr. my company, this gives me 6 month to play with Pearl and put some money on a side for new iPhone + it's time to upgrade my original PPC Mac Mini G4 to Intel Core 2 Duo...

about ordering my new phone yesterday, I kinda "knew" that iPhone most likely to be announced (well I hoped for it) today but didn't think it would be available right away and it's not (on other note I couldn't afford one right now anyway...)

dante@sisna.com
I'm used to a phone that does much of what the iPhone will do and it lasts a week or more.

Ahhhh, Sorry, and this is NOT personal, but your phone does not even come close to what the iPhone will do.

On this specific topic, wake up to reality.

dadrop
not much, but first video I saw.

http://www.cnn.com/

chromos
He says that all the time.

No, he doesn't. Everytime he's said this in the past, there was another presentation within a month. If he really said this then I'd expect a media event before the month is out.

xenotaku
Jan 9, 2007, 02:43 PM
Sooo...internet browsing....
Do I need to be in a wi-fi area to browse the internet? Or can you browse the net anywhere you can use the phone? and what is edge? I use sprint...i dont know this stuff.

and if the price indeed includes 2 years, what kind of plan are we talking about? Loads of mins? free nights and weekends?

I mean, the phone....is amazing...but its the monthly plan that will make or break the product.

rog
Jan 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
I would have gladly bought this if it had at least a 30GB hard drive. 8GB-a few songs, a few video, some photos. Hardly a replacement for a real iPod for anyone with a significant music collection. I could never give up my 60Gb for this things, which means I'll still have to carry my iPod. Maybe in a couple years it will have 32GB RAM and be usable and cheaper. Too bad it's Cingular only--EDGE is horribly slow compared to EVDO. 2 year contract--do iPod batteries even last that long? Enjoy your 5 minutes of talk time between charges come 2009. Battery should be replaceable like on a Treo. I will take a real keyboard over this virtual one anyday. overall a nice first effort, which would have been really nice at $299, $399.

Cingular's unlimited data plan is $39.99/month. Ouch! At that price, you think Cingular would have subsidized the price of the iPhone more. That alone will keep me from Cingular forever vs. Sprint's faster, $15 data plan.

xli_ne

how would that work? Would you have to pay two services then?

oldwatery
Moan, moan, moan.....
It really blows my mind how negative some people can be.
Stop looking for the bad and see the good.
This thing is simply amazing.
Just take a moment to consider the technology that has gone into the device.

Perfect for everyone...of course not...but what in life is?

I just bought a new Sony 810i and 300i both great phones, but I will be dumping them as soon as I can get my new iPhone....plus one for my wife.
Bravo Apple inc....and bravo Steve Jobs.

A stunning achievement :D

macpro2000
Jan 9, 2007, 02:45 PM
1000000% agreed

dante@sisna.com
No, he doesn't. Everytime he's said this in the past, there was another presentation within a month. If he really said this then I'd expect a media event before the month is out.

The big Broadcasting and Video show is in March, I believe: I would expect an Eight Core Mac and New Displays at this show -- this venue is a more appropriate launch point than MacWorld which now competes with CES for attention.

SakeBalboa
From that old 500 thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500):

"I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!"

Deja Vu with this thread? :D

lol reading that old thread was fun

kildjean
Jan 9, 2007, 02:46 PM
I wanted to jump out of my office window........

You should have... because you missed the whole point.

This is the entree for the things to come, they just let you in the door for the first course of the meal and you still didnt get it.

Pretty much Apple is not going to talk about leopard until they finish the important details that will make you SWITCH to Leopard without any hesistation. And for that to happen they got to finish it. I rather have this iPhone on MacWorld, and just have a different show for Leopard.

Either way, they wanted to kickstart the yearwith something different, and they did because what I have seen that nobody realizes is that the iPhone is the 2nd comming of the Newton.

The fact that it is running OSX not an embedded version of it, its awesome. Since when could you run Unix on your palm of your hand in such an easy way. Think about the things that have been done with an ipod that is not even running OSX, and think of the things that can be done with OSX on the palm of your hand.

This is what has always impressed me about apple. They really know how to handle graphics in any device they put their hands on.

I have been holding off buying a new Cellular Phone, and I am glad I did. I'll be saving my cash for THIS phone. It is for me the perfect combination of a Phone/Palm running OSX. Its perfect. Now I can have my home in my palm again.

Oh and you... go on a jump.... but have someone record it, so they can play it on youtube and we can all laugh at your idiocracy.

Kil

cynerjist
Jan 9, 2007, 02:46 PM
Amusing.

A few days before Jobs' MacWorld speech, I was listening to one of many podcasts attempting to predict what the great man would show and tell. One of the guys, who seemed to have some familiarity with how things work at Apple (AAPL), made it clear that "Loose Lips Sink Careers" is the order of the day in Cupertino.

He even said there's a word for what happens if you spill a secret. It's called "Getting Steved."
Disclaimer: I own shares of Apple Computer.

http://eresearch.fidelity.com/eresearch/goto/evaluate/news/basicNewsStory.jhtml?symbols=AAPL&storyid=NEWS.CBSMW.92A56C45C2BA472B8FA3.15B8F901FB08&provider=CBSMW&product=CBS/INETDLY

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 9, 2007, 02:47 PM
not much, but first video I saw.

http://www.cnn.com/

CNN needs to update from Windows Media to Flash.

Tomaz
Jan 9, 2007, 02:48 PM
I don't like personal insults so you can **** off you ******** **** of ****

Again, the 5h and 16h that Apple is talking about is talking-time and audio-time, NOT standby. Standby is much longer.

Your phone has one week on standby time, not talking-time !!

Is that so hard to understand....

dante@sisna.com
Jan 9, 2007, 02:50 PM
lol reading that old thread was fun

Oh, that was priceless!!

The detractors to this phone will be totally eating their words in 3 years.

This phone is the next great thing -- it is BIGGER than the iPod for certain.

eme jota ce
Jan 9, 2007, 02:51 PM

I've been going month-to-month with my Nextel phone for about 3 months in anticipation of MWSF '07. It costs a little more, but now that the iPhone was announced, I can decide if a switch to Cingular is worth it.

xDANx

as i understand it, the only purchasing option is the stated price and that requires a two year contract...'requires', not 'includes'! the word 'includes' implies that the contract is an extra feature, when really it's a ball and chain around your ankle. if you're thinking that '2 year contract' means 2 years of service included in the price you're very mistaken. it means a legal requirement to pay for monthly service for two years on top of the price of the phone.

i was really hoping for an unlocked GSM phone from apple...even when it does make its way to canada i may not buy one if i have to agree to a 2 year contract with rogers (or fido). i will hopefully be in and out of the country over the next year or two and i don't want to pay international roaming fees...i just want be able to swap out my canadian sim card for a local pre-paid one when i'm away. oh well...it's still an amazing mobile device ('phone' doesn't really do it justice).

MacVault
Apple showed us the handheld device of our dreams - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING DEVICE! And then they have the $%#^&%$ nerve to say we can get this device ONLY if we sign a $%#^&%$ TWO YEAR contract!:mad: !:mad: !:mad:

I am absolutely beside myself??? I can't have the "Widescreen Video iPod" without being LOCKED IN with a two year contract???? $##@%@! Am I the only one TOTALLY P1$$3D? Not to mention not a word about Leopard!

WTF! :mad: :mad: :mad:

evilgEEk
Jan 9, 2007, 02:52 PM
It'll be interesting to look back on this thread in a few years, much like we do today with the famous Thread #500 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500), and see how people's gut reactions match up with reality.

I LOVE reading this thread from time to time, especially around events such as this. It's so funny that so many people wanted the iPhone to be released, and then when it does a vast majority of these folks tear it apart because it's not EXACTLY what they wanted! :D

Anyway...

I think this is absolutely incredible! Just incredible. My little Treo looks like garbage compared to this beauty. The price is a little high for a typical phone, but this isn't anywhere NEAR a 'typical' phone! :D

My only concern is that it's Cingular exclusive, but I guess I have six months to save up the cash for the phone, and to cancel my Verizon account and get with Cingular. ;)

Congrats to Apple, Inc. for once again revolutionizing another aspect of our daily lives!

Edge100
Jan 9, 2007, 02:52 PM

Exactly what I thought. I agree, this has to be a clue of things to come.

turtlebud
Jan 9, 2007, 02:53 PM
the question i'm wondering is how much of that 4gb or 8gb drive will be available - how much space will the OS take? i'm sure it has to be a mobile version of OS X cause i think even the base install of Tiger is 2gigs or more.

joepunk
Wow!

Can't believe I haven't recieved a server full message yet on MR.

Love the phone. Was not shocked at the prices. I was also expecting a widescreen iPod since now we know they could do it. Looks like I will have to wait.

Is it possible that ones minutes would get used up when surfing the web?

DUCKofD3ATH
So I was convinced that there'd never be an Apple tablet computer, but if you double the size of the iPhone, isn't that what you'd have? Is the Newton about to be reincarnated, followed by the iTablet?

sweet160
:D This looks a great new way to use a phone, again apple doesnt stuff it with all the features but take those which apple think that will work + add some new tricks et voila: the iPhone is born.

First I thought no clickwheel, but hey for this thin a clickwheel would be obstructive and unhandy.

Great progress I think it is hope it works with Proximus :D

Machead III
Jan 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
Wow, I'm amazed, they actually managed to announce the iPhone.... and yet walk away from MacWorld as a failure.

12 month wait for the two largest phone markets in the world, EU and Asia, and even a 6 month wait for the US, plus the total lack of any products available today, turned a showstopper into a pointless teaser, or more accurately, MacWorld San Francisco 2008.

And am I right in thinking that it's 499/599 and then the monthly contract fee on top? Because if it is, that makes the iPhone the single most expensive mainstream mobile phone in recent times - and it's good, but not that good.

Jo-Kun
I'm really not impressed with the iPhone...

I hate all these all-in-one overpriced phones... really 499 & 599 for a phone... with a 2y contract (will be different here in belgium and price will be higher in euro's wich never makes sense :p)

I would like to see a light version of this phone... same interface but less blabla, less is more ;-) let say for 200 euro (that's the price of my most expensive phone ever...) no iPod no WiFi no Internetfunctions, but with the nice interface and BT and no 2y contracts for any provider please!!

and then apple will sell a lot more phones :p yes then I would even think about getting one ;-)

AppleTV... not waiting for it since my Macmini is doing that allready (and I don't have a HDTV :p) I have a frontrow remote and a hack to use frontrow on my G4 Macmini...

the most interesting thing today is the one they forget to announce... then new airport extreme... better range, ethernetports + possible to add USB storage... only downside: pricy...

funny thing I was joking about the 'computer' in the apple name... and 1h later... they announce it has been removed lol

Tomaz
Apple showed us the handheld device of our dreams - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING DEVICE! And then they have the $%#^&%$ nerve to say we can get this device ONLY if we sign a $%#^&%$ TWO YEAR contract!:mad: !:mad: !:mad:

I am absolutely beside myself??? I can't have the "Widescreen Video iPod" without being LOCKED IN with a two year contract???? $##@%@! Am I the only one TOTALLY P1$$3D? Not to mention not a word about Leopard!

I'm sure soon there's gonna be a widescreen video ipod without the phone part and with a reasonable HD in it.

Romanesq
Jan 9, 2007, 02:55 PM
I am wondering how this works now that it wont be launched until June. I bet more providers will be allowed starting Jan of 2008 (perfect timing for MacWorld ;) ).

Also, ThinkSecret tends to not always be reliable. Take it with several grains of salt.

Granted, and the story of course is from last year too.
But we'll learn more no doubt shortly on what the "exclusive" means.

j26
Jan 9, 2007, 02:56 PM
Again, the 5h and 16h that Apple is talking about is talking-time and audio-time, NOT standby. Standby is much longer.

Your phone has one week on standby time, not talking-time !!

Is that so hard to understand....

The issue I was responding to was the personally insulting tone of the posters response, not the battery life. If I was wrong, so be it, but I will not accept being called retarded. That's what I was responding to.

Edit: In general I think it's a great phone, so I'm not raining on the parade. But battery life is a big concern to me, and I'd like to know more about standby time. If it's 16 hours, there's no way I'd buy one, but if it's 4-5 days I'm in when it comes to Ireland at the end of the year.

Object-X
Man, I can not believe all the cry babies on this post. This device is amazing! It is so much more than a phone. I can't wait to see Leopard now. Core animation is going to completely change the OS X GUI.

So Cingular gets exclusive dibs on it initially; I wonder how much they paid for the privilge? No worries, this thing is going to be mind boggling popular and all the service providers will be begging Apple to let them support it.

I mean, how do you people exist in life being so negitive and pessimistic? Whatever. I can't wait to get one; and I'm sure I won't be alone.

Apple is smart to announce it now and ship it in six months. That gives developers and accessory makers time to come up with all kinds of add-ons for it. I see a whole slew of new applications built for use with the iPhone. It''s going to take on a life of it's own; a whole new breed of Mac. It truely is going to revolutionize Apple and the phone industry.

Hey Microsoft, Apple has the real Halo!

slicecom
I love how all the people on the Cingular network are saying to stop complaining. I think the design is pure genius, but I can't get one because Apple decided to make it exclusive to Cingular and i'm not with them, so I have the right to complain! This is not like the 500 thread!

Project
Im completely in awe at this thing. I was a bit sceptical til I saw the videos. Completely in shock.

yoak
I was very impressed. They will sell like hot cakes (do anyone still use that expression?)
Iīm dissapointed about the long wait. End of the year?
At least it gives me time to save.

I donīt mind that itīs only 8gig, how often do I need my whole music collection for a trip? Not often.

Itīs still enough for alot of music, some pics and video of my daughter that I can llook at when far from home.
Just the way I use my W800i now, but this will be soo much better

It looks great, and I want one.

jblodgett
Jan 9, 2007, 02:57 PM
I recently purchased a Cingular 8125 phone.

When I bought it -- the purchase price (with a 2 year subscription) was $399. The phone qualified for a $150 rebate - making the price $249 for the phone.

BUT -- the only way I could qualify for the $150 rebate was if I purchased Cingular's dataplan for $39.99 a month.

Luckily --- you only have to keep the data plan for one month to get the rebate.

This pricing philosophy of using the contract to subsidize the cost of the phone has been going on FOREVER in the cellular world in the United States - and will probably continue for some time.

This looks like a pretty nice device from apple-- obviously it is still not a finished product -- I'm not sure its worth the high price tag it currently has -- but then, I bought the first generation iPod photo (40 meg) for $499 - and got good use out of it.

dante@sisna.com

No you are not the only angry one, but this is just the way the system works: this phone is worth a lot more than $499 and $599 -- Most people would not spend more than this -- Apple had to use a partner to subsidize the cost of this phone and they picked Cingular. All cell phone companies lock us into a 2 year contract for a hot new phone -- all of them.

You'll find unlocked versions on ebay -- but they will sell for about $1200 -- Will you pay that much?

Machead III
Im completely in awe at this thing. I was a bit sceptical til I saw the videos. Completely in shock.

Don't worry, you've got 6/12 months for it to get old.

TheAnswer
Jan 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
The more I look at the interface videos on apple.com, this thing is really at least 10 steps ahead of the dinky camera phone I have now. The price is a little high for me now and I'm not really interested in being an early adopter for the iPhone, but it or it's successors are definitely my next phone/ipod/etc.

ipodstreamer
Jan 9, 2007, 02:59 PM
May be premature, but I would like to know if this phone, because it is WiFi capable and will have OSX, wil be able to load Itunes on it?

I have a powermac that stores all of my music and currently I use an ibook that I use the 'share ' music function to stream music to my airport express that is hooked up to my home stereo.

I would love to be able to use the iphone with intunes in the same fawshion so instead of lugging my laptop around I can be cool and all and access my music library from the phone.

Or will the WiFi capability on the iphone allow me to stream my ipod tunes directly to my airport express connected to my home stereo?

Best yet, any rumor that the regular iPod will be made with Wi-Fi capability?

motulist
Jan 9, 2007, 02:59 PM
I've been with sprint since I got my first cell phone many many years ago, and I am very seriously thinking about switching to cingular just for the iPhone. I had no desire for an iPhone yesterday, but that's because after the rokr I didn't imagine it would be as amazing as it is. The buzz on this product is infectious, even my non mac, non techie friends are wowed by the iPhone.

The iPhone is beyond a winner, it's a champion.

b0tt094
Jan 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
Why Cant it be for Verizon :( :( :( :( :( :(

Romanesq
Jan 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
Sooo...internet browsing....
Do I need to be in a wi-fi area to browse the internet? Or can you browse the net anywhere you can use the phone? and what is edge? I use sprint...i dont know this stuff.

and if the price indeed includes 2 years, what kind of plan are we talking about? Loads of mins? free nights and weekends?

I mean, the phone....is amazing...but its the monthly plan that will make or break the product.

Well if you are around lots of open networks like a university or a city park that is hooked up the connection will happen automatically.

The other option I'm told is to get a data connectivity package for $20 a month. Then you can get directions in your car, find a Starbucks, google pictures of places around the globe wherever you want.

Of course you can get and send email as well.

cynerjist
Jan 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
i couldn't believe the 499/599 was the subsidized price. that seems high, but the phone is like no other.

i hope they consider dropping the price after release, which often happens, as the component costs decrease. on the other hand, this is apple and their pricing structure is fairly rigid.

this would be a home run at 299/349 subsidized, exclusivity to cingular for 6 months and then release to other providers.

Rocket850
Oh, that was priceless!!

The detractors to this phone will be totally eating their words in 3 years.

This phone is the next great thing -- it is BIGGER than the iPod for certain.

Bigger than the ipod? Better slow down on the Kool-Aid.

I don't need to check the map to see if my ipod will work in my area.

dante@sisna.com
Wow, I'm amazed, they actually managed to announce the iPhone.... and yet walk away from MacWorld as a failure.

12 month wait for the two largest phone markets in the world, EU and Asia, and even a 6 month wait for the US, plus the total lack of any products available today, turned a showstopper into a pointless teaser, or more accurately, MacWorld San Francisco 2008.

And am I right in thinking that it's 499/599 and then the monthly contract fee on top? Because if it is, that makes the iPhone the single most expensive mainstream mobile phone in recent times - and it's good, but not that good.

The price is $499 and $599 and YES then your monthly service on top of that with a contract for 2 years.

To say this Mac World was a failure reflects lack of industry vision -- this is probably the biggest Mac World in Apple's history.

drbjames
Jan 9, 2007, 03:02 PM
Wow..iphone certainly looks cool, and not really that expensive when compared with a PDA with that much storage - BUT NO iLife / iWork or Leopard!:confused: :eek:

BTW the iPhone is still in a way a concept:

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

So (and we can all hope) that maybe apple is not revealing all.:D

MacVault
MacrumorsLive said the phone, "knows where you are". Does it have GPS built in?

dante@sisna.com
Bigger tan the ipod? Better slow down on the Kool-Aid.

Yes over the next 5 to 10 years, much bigger than the iPod.

For sure.

gwangung
I recently purchased a Cingular 8125 phone.

When I bought it -- the purchase price (with a 2 year subscription) was $399. The phone qualified for a $150 rebate - making the price $249 for the phone.

BUT -- the only way I could qualify for the $150 rebate was if I purchased Cingular's dataplan for $39.99 a month.

Luckily --- you only have to keep the data plan for one month to get the rebate.

This pricing philosophy of using the contract to subsidize the cost of the phone has been going on FOREVER in the cellular world in the United States - and will probably continue for some time.

Which makes all the whining about the two year contract look rather silly and naive.

I think there are drawbacks to the iPhone...but they aren't the features which are industry standard. (Hm. How does this device compare to the $399 Treo?).

~Shard~
Jan 9, 2007, 03:04 PM
BUT NO iLife / iWork or Leopard!:confused: :eek:

Perhaps iLife 07 and iWork 07 will see some major enhancements and as a result be released in tandem with Leopard to capitallize on certain functionality/integration. As a result, no announcements for another month or so.... :cool:

nukiduz
Jan 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
Wow..iphone certainly looks cool, and not really that expensive when compared with a PDA with that much storage - BUT NO iLife / iWork or Leopard!:confused: :eek:

BTW the iPhone is still in a way a concept:

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

So (and we can all hope) that maybe apple is not revealing all.:D

actually apple didnt reveal some things from the iphone. the camera wasn't more than mentioned, battery life was confusing (5hrs for talk? video? wifi? how much stand by?), didn't show it interacting with a mac...

motulist
the question i'm wondering is how much of that 4gb or 8gb drive will be available - how much space will the OS take? i'm sure it has to be a mobile version of OS X cause i think even the base install of Tiger is 2gigs or more.

No, I assume when they say 4 or 8 gigs that means the user's storage space is 4 or 8 gigs. Also, this OS X won't included many of the install packages that you get on a desktop, like printer drivers, so it will be much smaller.

bwintx
While I personally won't be getting an iPhone because I (a) am locked into another contract for quite some time and (b) really don't use my cell phone that often, anyway, I am staggered by what this little jewel can do. This is indeed a day whose great importance won't be understood for a long time to come. Congratulations to Mr. Jobs and all the great team at, yep, "Apple, Inc.," for yet one more magnificent job. (Oh, and the TV product looks pretty cool, too.)

peharri
It's a nice phone, but the requirement for a contract with Cingular is a dealbreaker, especially if the phone itself is actually carrier locked (which is usually implied.)

The price is fine. Indeed, it could probably go closer to $700-800 without being over-priced. The phone (appears to be) far better than the $600 Nokia 9290 I bought four or five years ago. The specs appear to be good too. But l will not spend hundreds of dollars on a phone that's locked to a carrier. A phone is just too personal for me to do that.

They missed an opportunity not supporting UMTS too. I doubt it'd have added that much to the (relative) price of the thing.

.Andy
Jan 9, 2007, 03:06 PM
MacrumorsLive said the phone, "knows where you are". Does it have GPS built in?
No. It's got Skynet.

Tomaz
The issue I was responding to was the personally insulting tone of the posters response, not the battery life. If I was wrong, so be it, but I will not accept being called retarded. That's what I was responding to.

Edit: In general I think it's a great phone, so I'm not raining on the parade. But battery life is a big concern to me, and I'd like to know more about standby time. If it's 16 hours, there's no way I'd buy one, but if it's 4-5 days I'm in when it comes to Ireland at the end of the year.

I'm sure the standby time is several days. What I'm wondering is if there's only one battery for the whole thing, or 2 batteries, one for the phone and one for the rest. I think that makes a BIG difference!

MattG
Mark me as disappointed. Really disappointed. I thought for sure they'd be releasing a widescreen iPod today, in the $400 area. The iPhone is bad assed for what it is, but I'm not paying $600 for phone functionality I don't need, for only 8gb of RAM, and a 2-year contract with a phone company I don't use! I don't see why they couldn't have just simultaneously released an iPod with all the same features but without a phone, and an 80 or 100gb hard drive. Or, made the iPhone a teeny bit thicker so it could include a hard drive.

As for the Apple TV, it looks great however I don't see why they couldn't just add TiVo-like functionality when it already has a hard drive in it. It doesn't do me any good...I really don't care about streaming videos from my Mac, and I can already stream music with my Airport Express.

I thought for sure I'd be buying something today, but oh well. I almost ordered the new Airport for the 'N' functionality, until I read on the MR front page a minute ago that only Core 2 Duos would support 'N'.

Rocket850
Jan 9, 2007, 03:08 PM
The price is $499 and $599 and YES then your monthly service on top of that with a contract for 2 years.

To say this Mac World was a failure reflects lack of industry vision -- this is probably the biggest Mac World in Apple's history.
This Macworld was a big joke...
They announce a product that many of us couldn't use even if we wanted too. Cingular sucks in my area, and who knows how much it's going to cost to receive all the services Steve demonstrated.
They announce Apple Tv...wow

and that was about it...Oh yeah, they dropped "computer" from the company name. With a keynote like the one we just witnessed, I can see why.

whooleytoo
The fact that Apple dedicated almost the entire Macworld Keynote (their high point of the year) to a product which won't launch for another 6 months shows the importance of the device.

This isn't just an Apple phone, it's Apple's play for the mobile platform.

I wonder if they'll allow 3rd party development though. Allowing 3rd party widgets is an easy and safe way to start.

Can't wait to get one - but am surprised they're not launching in Asia until 2008. Considering the market there is so far ahead, it'll be yesterday's technology when it's on the shelves.

~Shard~
Bigger than the ipod? Better slow down on the Kool-Aid.

Time will tell. Some people have vision, some people don't. :cool:

Why would you need to check the map to see if your iPod would work in the first place? :confused: Why would the iPod functionality of this new device not work in certain areas? It's just playing music! :rolleyes:

iSplode
Apple is trying to position itself as a maker of top-tier, well-design consumer products, and this Keynote serves that purpose. I think it's a smart move on Apple's part, because all of the consumer products out there have the most horrible, crappy interfaces ever designed by man. What Apple knows how to do better than anyone on the planet is software and interface design. I would sure love a DVD player or microwave with an OSX interface.

So, I think this keynote signifies Apple's new direction, which is based on the huge success of the iPod. What will be Apple's downfall is the desire to maintain complete control over the content offerings through iTunes, rather than opening up the devices to other content services being offered. Apple won't be able to maintain that monopoly for much longer.

Personally, I think the iTV will have a very short lifespan because it is essentially a crippled, iTunes-only DVR. I think the iPhone will have an initial surge of interest once it is finally released. But, it won't gain wide adoption until the price is cut in half, storage doubled, and isn't locked to a single carrier (Cingular has the worst customer service on the planet, I can't imagine how they are going to be able to provide support and service for such an advanced, niche product).

But, we'll just have to wait and see what happens in June.

mdntcallr
Jan 9, 2007, 03:09 PM
Good looking device.

problems with it though:
1- NO GSM HSDPA (only edge, which is kinda lame MUCH slower )
2- Pricing it is expensive when you take into account the 2 year contract. If you take the pricing of the phone contract out. the Apple phone costs $699 (4gb) $899 (8GB)

also need to know if the virtual screen keyboard actually works. may not be as great as it looks. but i am excited for it.

hope they come out with a version with 40 or 60+ gb so i can hold movies and my entire music collection.

jmsait19
Jan 9, 2007, 03:09 PM
so far the phone isn't actually released yet... if they release an iPod before june, then it will in fact be out before the phone... so we can stop whining about that issue now...until someone has the phone in their hand, it isn't out before anything...

petvas
Jan 9, 2007, 03:10 PM
Have you guys seen the demos available at www.apple.com/iphone ?

This must be the most sexy device available on earth! I want one now!

I can understand why Steve Jobs didnt announce anything about Leopard. He wanted to focus on the consumer side...

emotion
Jan 9, 2007, 03:10 PM
Interesting device. I think the lack of storage size (Nanos better be 16GB at that point in 9 months time, I'm in UK) might be a flaw really.

The tie in is pretty much as expected. The Blackjack ($199!) is tied in too. The 2 year thing is pretty harsh. I hope there's an unlocked version.

All that said I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to make a SE T610 las 9 monhs with no joystick (!).

---

The pinch zooming thingy sounds like it could be using Leopards resolution independence,

---

To the person wondering about OSX taking space, that will be on a ROM on the machine. Separate from the 4/8GB.

.Andy
Jan 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
Mark me as disappointed. Really disappointed. I thought for sure they'd be releasing a widescreen iPod today, in the $400 area. The iPhone is bad assed for what it is, but I'm not paying $600 for phone functionality I don't need, for only 8gb of RAM, and a 2-year contract with a phone company I don't use! I don't see why they couldn't have just simultaneously released an iPod with all the same features but without a phone, and an 80 or 100gb hard drive. Or, made the iPhone a teeny bit thicker so it could include a hard drive.
Be patient ;). Apple historically like to stretch out their announcements around Macworld to maximise press time. They'll hit with this for a few days/weeks and when the buzz dies a little they'll back up with some bumps to the rest of their lines to regain tech front pages again. It'd be silly for them to blow their load in one go. I'd be surprised if we don't see a few comparatively minor announcements in the near future.

skippy911
Jan 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
No. It's got Skynet.

Lol good one, but seriously I was wondering that as well, does it have gps built in???

iN8
Jan 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
So when is the Skype widget coming out?