Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I said it before. The 2nd rev of this will surely kick *ss. Will be just intime for the expiration of Verizon contract.

Yup, I'm seeing:
  • better digital camera
  • front camera and video calls (3G will be here by that point)
  • better battery technology
  • iChat IM built in
  • no locking to a certain carrier
  • lower price

clindner

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Did I miss it somehow, or was there news about how Apple was able to gain the right to use the name iPhone, since Linksys lists it as a registered trademark for one of their product lines???

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Cingular? Now us South African's, Europeans, Asians, Australians etc can't use it. Well done Apple. What is the problem with just selling an UNLOCKED phone?:mad:

Why must the USA be so different. The rest of the world can just buy a phone and pop a sim card into it, but noooooo, not you guys:rolleyes: Now I'll have to wait until god knows when to get this AMAZING cell phone:( :mad: How did Apple manage to use the name iPhone anyway? I thought linksys trademarked that name or something:confused:

BTW, can I just get a friend in the USA to send me one, and get it unblocked or something, and put my own simcard in it? I hope so. I can't wait so long for such a revolututionary product.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to go sulk in a corner.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Are we really speculating about a next revision?? Christ, I thought the iPhone rumors might finally come to an end.....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's overpriced, it's not aviable here in Europe, it has stupid name, it has non-apple design, it has bad battery (only 5 hours????)

And it's awesome :))

Btw, if it has OS X, one should be able to run Skype on it, right?

5 hours is bad? I could only hope for that, but then, I have 3G data access on mine.

The looks are so 1970s - 1980s, but that hardly matters when the display is powered. I'm not sure you would notice how tacky the exterior looks.

Considering that Skype runs on several WiFi phones, I would think that it would be available by the time the phone is launched.

Cingular? Now us South African's, Europeans, Asians, Australians etc can't use it. Well done Apple. What is the problem with just selling an UNLOCKED phone?:mad:

Why must the USA be so different. The rest of the world can just buy a phone and pop a sim card into it, but noooooo, not you guys:rolleyes: Now I'll have to wait until god knows when to get this AMAZING cell phone:( :mad: How did Apple manage to use the name iPhone anyway? I thought linksys trademarked that name or something:confused:

BTW, can I just get a friend in the USA to send me one, and get it unblocked or something, and put my own simcard in it? I hope so. I can't wait so long for such a revolututionary product.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to go sulk in a corner.

There's nothing stopping some fine South African company building a killer phone, selling it in South Africa, and coming to your rescue. :)

Global economy not withstanding, Apple Inc. is an American company, traded on an American Stock Exchange. Why would you really expect it to be different?

eme jota ce

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago
Will this work with my Nike+?

I'd consider the iPhone at this price point if (1) it works with my Nike+ and will let me sell the Nano (2) it's rugged enough for that use.

JoeTheMacUser

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2006
Yes its been nice and all but many things where missing..

Heres whats great about this keynote:
Apple TV Great! Love the whole thing very nice, price just about right.
iPhone Oh my god have there been rumours about this one device I Love the whole sexy look of it, and a mini os x! Great! Fantastic upgrade to the airport extreme base.

Heres the bad things:
Wheres ilife, iwork, more information on leopard and "One more thing.."
A bit upset the UK has to until Q4, wheres the price for the rest of the world? and one big bad thing is the whole 4gb and 8gb. If its a widescreen that means great for watching movies and tv shows and all that stuff but aren't itunes movies 1gb (rough) each? Steve promised tv shows in UK by 2007.

It just seems the rest of the world is being left behind. And I think I will need those months of waiting for the iphone to come out to save up!

However I shall be buying the 3 products that apple have brought out today :D I'm such a hypocrite Lol

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else

Yeah, that's what I want know. How can they call it the iPhone?

I just noticed the "Cingular" branding is part of the screen image only. It's on the line with the clock and signal strength, but not on the device itself. So it can be removed via software. :)

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
There's nothing stopping some fine South African company building a killer phone, selling it in South Africa, and coming to your rescue. :)

Global economy not withstanding, Apple Inc. is an American company, traded on an American Stock Exchange. Why would you really expect it to be different?

The words "fine" and "South African company" should not be used together;)

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I can't wait to get it!

I hope I'll be able to connect my T-Mobile phone with it so I can get on the internet. :) (Or better yet, my Verizon phone, with EV-DO.)

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
This device (its not only a phone) is certainly the most amazing thing I have ever seen the last 20 years of my life (technology-related :d)
The battery life isnt standby, 5 hours of talk time and/or 16 hours of music playback isnt bad. For me the battery will be ok if it lasts for a normal 16 - 20 hour day. At night I can always sync and charge it...

I don't know why it lacks UMTS support, maybe the european version will have one...I hope so!!! Anyway I think I am getting it...

Now, WHAT HAPPENED TO LEOPARD???????
I know that Apple wanted to concentrate on the iPhone but at least a mention on the progress along with a couple of features, wouldnt hurt anyone...

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Great product! I love everything about it!

...except for the whole cingular bit. How is Apple going to get 10M users with only one provider? So we cant have the new iPod or the new internet device unless we go to cingular? Seems a bit odd.

I really want one though... PERFECT DEVICE!

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Garbage-besides osx mobile welcome to 2004

No iLife 07? No iWork 07? No leopard preview?
Release a wireless express with no audio connector with airtunes?

I guess because of itv that technology is done for. Apple wants you to lash out 299 in every room to have wireless music on every room Great going APPLE.

Overall i was more excited with microsoft home domination path.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Quantum Leap

I don't understand the people above who are complaining about this. This is everything you wanted and more! Stop complaining and get saving for this amazing phone. Say goodbye to the Zune! :)

Yes agreed. This is a Quantum Leap forward in technology. This is so much more than a phone with an iPod -- this is the real deal.

I am preordering the moment I can.

schatten

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH, USA
Wow, alot cheaper than expected...

Everyone's freaking out about how expensive this device is. I don't think they're seeing the big picture.

This thing isn't just a phone, it's pretty much a portable computer. It runs Mac OS X, surfs the web, runs apps, has a touch screen.... It's way cheaper than a laptop and can do almost as much!

I think the price is not bad at all, considering.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I know Steve made no mention of Leopard or it's "top secret" features. However, after looking at screenshots of the iPhone UI, I wonder if we are getting a sneak peak at the new Leopard UI. I notice alot of use of blacks and heavy transparency. Not the usual OS X colors or styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.