PDA

View Full Version : 'Apple Computer Incorporated' Becomes 'Apple, Incorporated'

MacRumors
Jan 9, 2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple Computer Incorporated is undergoing a name change, according to CEO Steve Jobs. Quoting Wayne Gretzky, Jobs said "I skate to where the puck is going to be not where it has been", and announced Apple's formal name change to Apple, Incorporated.

[ Digg This (http://www.digg.com/apple/Apple_Name_Change_Apple_Incorporated) ]

Scarlet Fever
Jan 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
would this affect the deal Apple Inc have with Apple Recordings?

seenew
Jan 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
is it me, or is this almost kind of... scary?

DavidLeblond
Jan 9, 2007, 01:14 PM
Thats quite apt, seeing as they didn't introduce any computer products.

9:18 am we're only talking about the mac today

:confused: That worries me.

MacsRgr8
Jan 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
Wel.. since there are more and more non-Mac products made by Apple, I can understand the name change...

But I do hope Macs and Mac OS X will be just as important as it was!

DavidLeblond
Jan 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
But I do hope Macs and Mac OS X will be just as important as it was!

Supposedly a new operating system is right around the corner and it didn't even get a mention, did it?

MacsAttack
Jan 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
The general public knows them as Apple, not Apple Computers.

Makes sense to make it official.

Stridder44
Jan 9, 2007, 01:29 PM
The general public knows them as Apple, not Apple Computers.

Makes sense to make it official.

Exactly. And yes, they build a lot of things that arn't personal computers too. I like the name change.

It's not that big of a deal, I mean everyone already calls them Apple anyway. Have you ever heard someone on the street refer to them as "Apple Computer Incorporated"? lol yeah, name change = good.

kresh
Jan 9, 2007, 01:37 PM
I agree, it is kind of scary :(

Apple Computer, Inc. has a keynote at MACWORLD. It shows nothing related to the MAC computer line and drops the word computer from it's name.

Hope 20 years from now I don't tell my grandkids "I remember the day Apple Computer died".

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 01:39 PM

First step to dropping your computer business: drop the word "computer" from your business name.

Introduce lots of non-computer products. Note that there wasn't any word about Macintoshes OR Leopard at the keynote.

Port over the best apps from your computer platform to a competitor *cough*iTunes*cough*.

cazlar
Jan 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
I assume a deal has been worked out, as wasn't a Beatles song shown during the keynote?

dernhelm
Jan 9, 2007, 01:46 PM
Interesting they played a Beatles song during the keynote. Can anyone check iTunes? Is the Beatles catalog on line?

ebow
Jan 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
Thats quite apt, seeing as they didn't introduce any computer products.

9:18 am we're only talking about the mac today

:confused: That worries me.

Actually, a few live-feed sites said that, while others reported it more like this: "That's all we'll be talking about the Mac today". As in, "What I just said about the Mac in the first few minutes of the keynote, well, that's all. Now on to other things." <-- This interpretation seems to fit much better.

cait-sith
Jan 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
Is Wayne Gretsgy any relation to Wayne Gretzky, the hockey player?

ebow
Jan 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
Interesting they played a Beatles song during the keynote. Can anyone check iTunes? Is the Beatles catalog on line?

It's online. No Beatles catalog. It was probably just a ripped track. Same way that I have my meager Beatles collection on my iPod.

BenRoethig
Jan 9, 2007, 01:56 PM
Apple either needs to come up with their own consumer devices conference, or should talk CES into moving back a week or two. It's a sad day when the MACWORLD keynote has almost nothing to do with Macs.

mygoldens
Jan 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
What a shock!!! NO mac products, no leopard.

HELLO windows, HELLO M$, HELLO sh**!@@@@$^%!

castlema
Jan 9, 2007, 01:59 PM
I was waiting for "Oh, and one more thing...Apple Inc. has bought Apple Corp."

I bet I wasn't alone either...

Rocketman
Jan 9, 2007, 02:01 PM
Steve Jobs interview on CNBC momentarily.

Rocketman

cxny
Jan 9, 2007, 02:06 PM
What a shock!!! NO mac products, no leopard.

HELLO windows, HELLO M$, HELLO sh**!@@@@$^%!

Don't over-react this is great news. Half the keynote is usually devoted to boring updates of iLife '0? - so this time he had some more interesting news that has nothing to do w/ M$oft. Macs are stronger than ever just not ready for upgrades today.

Willis
Jan 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
I understand the name change, but I cant help feeling a little sad. All the products I have are the last to say Apple Computer, Inc

Tell you what, they'll be worth a bit later on!

madyaks
Jan 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
Sad day..

GekkePrutser
Jan 9, 2007, 02:10 PM
I agree, it is kind of scary :(

Apple Computer, Inc. has a keynote at MACWORLD. It shows nothing related to the MAC computer line and drops the word computer from it's name.

Hope 20 years from now I don't tell my grandkids "I remember the day Apple Computer died".

My thoughts exactly... It doesn't inspire much confidence. Especially with all those people who definitely came there because they were interested in the Mac. Otherwise they would have gone to the CES or something. I find it weird that not a word of explanation was given for the lack of Mac announcements. They could at least have said that the iPhone was so important it warranted the whole keynote or something.

I bet the Mac will get a lower priority within Apple now. I hope they're not getting lazy and allow Microsoft to overtake them on the innovation front. Just when they are gaining so much market share.

EagerDragon
Jan 9, 2007, 02:10 PM
This is very scary, a MacWorld with no Mac products anounced, no mention of Leopard, the dropping of computer from the name and the attitudte statement of "I Skate" - Meaning forget the past, look into the future.

Very scary and concerning.

danny_w
Jan 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
As I already said elsewhere, I think Steve announced the "one last thing" and everybody missed it. The company name changed from "Apple Computer Inc." to "Apple Inc". Get ready for more keynotes like this one where the entertainment devices are center stage, and the computers, if mentioned at all, are an also-ran. Apple has been in the process of reforming themselves for years and people refused to notice. Well, that time is here, for good or bad. I think we all need to get used to the fact that Mac computers are now nothing more than generic pc boxes with a little Apple "polish" on the outside. They are no longer big business at Apple. That, to me, makes this a very sad day for Apple the computer innovator. I wish I had known them back in the old days, but I bought my first Mac less than 2 years ago (the initial Mac Mini G4). Ah well...

BenRoethig
Jan 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
My thoughts exactly... It doesn't inspire much confidence. Especially with all those people who definitely came there because they were interested in the Mac. Otherwise they would have gone to the CES or something. I find it weird that not a word of explanation was given for the lack of Mac announcements. They could at least have said that the iPhone was so important it warranted the whole keynote or something.

I bet the Mac will get a lower priority within Apple now. I hope they're not getting lazy and allow Microsoft to overtake them on the innovation front. Just when they are gaining so much market share.

Unfortunately, I think they might be. There were a couple things I was wishing my Mac could do during the Vista presentation at CES. I hope Steve's reality distortion field hasn't become so distorted that's it's lost touch with reality.

BeyondCloister
Jan 9, 2007, 02:16 PM
Supposedly a new operating system is right around the corner and it didn't even get a mention, did it?

OS X got a mention though as it is the operating system used on the iPhone. Would it be safe to hazard a guess that it is 10.5 on the iPhone?

Especially with all those people who definitely came there because they were interested in the Mac. Otherwise they would have gone to the CES or something.

I assume there are Mac related items at the show or was the keynote the whole show?

fluidinclusion
Jan 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
They didn't mention Macs today because you wouldn't buy an Apple TV box then. I expect updates in Late February to March when 10.5 comes out - they will be preloaded with the new OS version. Otherwise everyone will cry and complain that their new computers have an outdated OS. Can't please everybody, only try to maximize profit.

GekkePrutser
Jan 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
OS X got a mention though as it is the operating system used on the iPhone. Would it be safe to hazard a guess that it is 10.5 on the iPhone?
I assume there are Mac related items at the show or was the keynote the whole show?

I bet the iPhone OSX is as much as the Mac's OSX like Windows Mobile is like Windows XP. It might look similar, use some similar technologies, but in the end it's different. Don't expect to be able to run any Mac apps on the iPhone.

Which is not a bad thing in itself, people have been trying to cram desktop OS'es into portable devices, and it was a disaster on the useability side. Think Windows CE.

BeyondCloister
Jan 9, 2007, 02:21 PM

When will people here realise that Apple, like many companies, are capable of doing more than one thing at once? Even though they have been working on the iPhone for years they still managed to move from PPC to Intel and get out some OS's and various productivity apps, and those music players.

GeeYouEye
Jan 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
A long long time ago
I can still remember
when Apple still made PC's.
And I knew if I had my chance,
I'd make their CPU's dance,
And maybe we'd be happy... for a while.
But January made me shiver
With every press release I'd quiver -
iPhone on the doorstep -
I couldn't take one more step.
I can't remember if I cried
When I read the phone began with "i"
But something touched me deep inside
The day... "Computer" died.

So bye, bye all Applications-i
Drove my hybrid to the hot spot
but the Airport had fried
the good old boys were playing XBox and Wii
Singin' "Seems I can't get a Mac mini"
"Oh well I'll get a PS3"

Did you write the book of Mac?
And do you have faith in Steve above,
'cause the RDF tells you so?
And do you believe in rock and roll,
Can iTunes save your mortal soul?
And can you teach me how to stream real slow?
Well I know iTV's not it's name,
But the lack of iWork's a damn shame.
And iLife's missing too;
Oh Leopard where are you?!
I knew displays were given half a chance
And the Intel chips shown just a glance
But the iPhone was all that made Steve dance
The day "Computer" died.

And he was singin' bye, bye all Applications-i
Drove my hybrid to the hot spot
but the Airport had fried
the good old boys were playing XBox and Wii
Singin' "Seems I can't get a Mac mini"
"Oh well I'll get a PS3"

Dang songrewriting can be difficult. Someone take over the next couple of verses.

BenRoethig
Jan 9, 2007, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't say it's OSX as much as OSX based. The GUI is definately designed for the iPhone.

They didn't mention Macs today because you wouldn't buy an Apple TV box then. I expect updates in Late February to March when 10.5 comes out - they will be preloaded with the new OS version. Otherwise everyone will cry and complain that their new computers have an outdated OS. Can't please everybody, only try to maximize profit.

I wouldn't worry about AppleTV. It doesn't exactly look like a high volume produce.

GekkePrutser
Jan 9, 2007, 02:23 PM

I don't know.. If they were really worried about that, they could have provided the 'next OS X for free' vouchers they always give when the new version has been announced.

And the TV box is a totally different product. I wouldn't turn back from buying a new mac if I've just bought an iTV. It's not even that expensive.

mischief
Jan 9, 2007, 02:25 PM
Does this indicate a shift to a more diversified model (see: Dell and HP)?

Or does this imply that Apple will get out of the Hardware game?

I'd be fine with Apple cutting back to the MacPro, the Mini and the Portables while opening the market for ASUS, Foxconn, Leadtech, IBM, HP and a few other select PC manufacturers. You can't really say Apple's competing with M$ unless we're able to install Leopard on non-Apple hardware. Steve-O can't ignore that forever.

BUT: The market has not been kind to those who have tried in the past: Lindows, SGI, AmigaDOS, OS2, etc.

This will prove to be an interesting year indeed.:confused::D:cool:

Doctor Q
Jan 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
Since "Apple Computer" is no longer their company name, I think I'll start my own business and call it "Apple Computer". I'm sure there won't be any confusion.

GekkePrutser
Jan 9, 2007, 02:29 PM
When will people here realise that Apple, like many companies, are capable of doing more than one thing at once? Even though they have been working on the iPhone for years they still managed to move from PPC to Intel and get out some OS's and various productivity apps, and those music players.

It's all about focus... There doesn't seem to be much drive to perfect the Mac, if they don't even mention it at all in the Macworld keynote... And if there is not much drive from management, there won't be the resources, etc...

However there could be some great announcements around the corner involving the so-far top-secret parts of Leopard. I hope so anyway!! I just meant to say that this didn't give a very good impression for someone looking for news about the Mac.

BeyondCloister
Jan 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't say it's OSX as much as OSX based. The GUI is definately designed for the iPhone.

The iPhone technical specs page on Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html) lists the operating system as OS X.

EagerDragon
Jan 9, 2007, 02:33 PM
Sorry but MACWorld is suppoced to be about the Mac. This device and the iTV should have been anounced elsewhere.

Sad day indeed.

As I already said elsewhere, I think Steve announced the "one last thing" and everybody missed it. The company name changed from "Apple Computer Inc." to "Apple Inc". Get ready for more keynotes like this one where the entertainment devices are center stage, and the computers, if mentioned at all, are an also-ran. Apple has been in the process of reforming themselves for years and people refused to notice. Well, that time is here, for good or bad. I think we all need to get used to the fact that Mac computers are now nothing more than generic pc boxes with a little Apple "polish" on the outside. They are no longer big business at Apple. That, to me, makes this a very sad day for Apple the computer innovator. I wish I had known them back in the old days, but I bought my first Mac less than 2 years ago (the initial Mac Mini G4). Ah well...

This is a very SAD day, the MAC relegated to just another product we make. I am with Apple due to the MAC and the OS, no matter how clever the new devices are, they are just that..... devices.

Very SAD day.

Whistleway
Jan 9, 2007, 02:38 PM
Since "Apple Computer" is no longer their company name, I think I'll start my own business and call it "Apple Computer". I'm sure there won't be any confusion.

haha..

~Shard~
Jan 9, 2007, 02:44 PM

Excellent idea Doctor Q - perhaps we can both go into business together with this new company and we can market ourselves as resellers of Cisco's iPhone... :cool:

ksolano
Jan 9, 2007, 02:45 PM

For me it reminds me of Umbrella Corp… I wonder what kind of mutant beasts Apple Inc’s mad scientists have in store for us in the near future?

BenRoethig
Jan 9, 2007, 02:45 PM
The iPhone technical specs page on Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html) lists the operating system as OS X.

Take and look and tell me if even remotely resembles what's running on your computer.

Lord Blackadder
Jan 9, 2007, 02:49 PM
Interesting concept...Apple could get put of the computer business entirely and become a software/digital lifestyle/"gadget" company - frankly, not an appetizing thought for me.

I've been an Apple user since the 80s when I was a tot, and computers are what I want from Apple.

The iPhone is very cool, but I don't spend that kind of cash on phones. Apple TV isn't affordable for a poor grad student (but I'd get one if I could).

I don't see Apple phasing out computers soon but it certainly seems that Steve may be getting bored with making/selling computers...an unwelcome thought.

jackc
Jan 9, 2007, 02:51 PM
That's it. I'm buying a Dell. Well, maybe not, but I'm going to threaten it.

Sandfleaz
Jan 9, 2007, 02:53 PM
Actually this is the biggest annoucement of the day!
AppleTV, iPhone, as great as they might be are just products that will change, evolve and eventually be replaced.

The name change signals a change of direction at the very corporate core (pun intended)

mixel
Jan 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
Wow. I think (some) people are overreacting a bit here.. Maybe? I agree some news on the Mac front would've been nice, but I've seen nothing to imply Apple would ever consider dropping the Mac..

And the name change seems to make sense.. I was excited by the keynote really, this is a really big thing for Apple.. Who decides what's important and what isn't? Depending on what the mobile osX is like, this could be huge. It did a good job to show people they're taking this new market very seriously.

Ah well people will get used to it like they did the ipod. :)

BeyondCloister
Jan 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
Take and look and tell me if even remotely resembles what's running on your computer.

The GUI is only one part of the operating system.

What is to say that Apple do not have plans for other touch operated devices in future along the lines of the kind of 'not so futuristic looking now' Star Trek devices?

Try taking a left field thought about some of those undisclosed 10.5 features? Maybe some of the iPhone GUI stuff also appears in 10.5?

We may not have got our flying cars and jetpacks in the 21st century yet but Apple could be about to bring us those futuristic computers.

chubad
Jan 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
While I will buy an iPhone the second it comes out, I am also uneasy with the fact that nothing was said about the Macs. Not even Apples cash cow the iLife yearly update. MacWorld should be about Macs. The phone should have had it's own special event.:(

zaphodtheprez
Jan 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
Macs, OSX and Apple Software can be announced any given Tuesday. Jobs needed most of the hour to launch the the most significant product - the iPhone. I can't blame him for that.

They make great products. Why limit yourself to one product if you can use your abilities to make other great products? I see Apple in many other markets ten years down the road.

k2k koos
Jan 9, 2007, 03:15 PM
This years Keynote was just that. I understand that Apple is diversifying, but I would have hoped to have at least some mention of Leopard etc..
I have a phone, I use it to make phone calls, I don't text, I don't make pictures on it (bad quality anyway), so the iPhone is not something I get excited about, it looks cool, as to be expected, but it is in essence a sexied up phone. Running OSX may mean that in the near future, it may get more PDA like features, but even a PDA, I do not use. I found I can work a lot faster with a pocket notebook and pen... By the time the PDA is powered up and selects the right application, I have done the task needed with my pen....
Maybe I'm old fashioned.
I know years ago, jobs stated he wanted Apple to become the "Sony of the computer industry", at this rate they will become the next Sony, now that the word computer has been dropped from the name....
Apple TV, I see potential for this device in the future, would I buy one now? Probably not, I don't have any new Macs in the household , highest speed I can accieve is 54MB/s, so I don't think the picture quality is going to be all that great from my TV, not to mention that my TV has no more inputs available, so I need a new TV, a new airport station,an AppleTV, and a new Mac....
Not going to happen any time soon. What I do want to do is get Leopard when it's out. And I hoped for more on that......

apfhex
Jan 9, 2007, 03:19 PM
I don't see it happening. Apple is a hardware company foremost, I don't think that will change anytime soon. Macs play a huge role. Sure we may like them for the OS/software, but that only exists to get us to buy the hardware.

Apple's just expanding its hardware business.

Honestly I've only seen them referred to as "Apple", sans the "Computer", for so long that I forgot they hadn't officially changed their name.

However, I do wish they would focus on Mac stuff at MacWorld and leave the other devices for their own special events.

alexf
Jan 9, 2007, 03:25 PM
Sad, very sad...

This inconspicuous name change really sums it up.

Once apon a time, Apple used to make very innovative computer products. Then along came the iPod and iTunes, and the enormous profits that came with Apple's entertainment sector.

Unfortunately (and this lame Keynote only confirms this), the only place where innovation seems to be happening any more at Apple is with anything iPod/iTunes/iPhone/Apple TV related.

Steve, I understand that you're at that midlife-crisis stage of life and need your fix of small, sleek, mesmerizing gadgets, but enough already! Let's finally see some of that innovation spill over into what Apple used to be about: computers.

mmzplanet
Jan 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
Everyone needs to chill. The name change reflects the fact that its not about just the computers anymore. Apple is getting into it all.

As for no mention of Leopard.... it will get its own dedicated keynote later this spring along with Mac product updates too.

Counter
Jan 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
Well...at least they didn't change the fruit in their name.

Trying to think of something positive here...

tirerim
Jan 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hmm... I don't see too many people complaining that Apple has stopped making computers as a result of the iPod. In fact, the iPod business has supported the computer business by making more people aware of Apple as a company that makes quality products and producing more switchers. This will do the same thing. And as long as the computer business remains profitable, Apple will keep it going, which will happen as long as there aren't vast numbers of idiots who decide that Apple has betrayed them and start buying Dells instead (which is unlikely, despite the comments on this thread). Apple is doing what any sensible company does, pursuing avenues for profit that it thinks will pay off.

Mgkwho
Jan 9, 2007, 03:36 PM
Steve Jobs said that they were dropping the 'computer' part because they make Computers, iPods, AppleTVs, and Apple iPhones.

What happened to software?

-=|Mgkwho

Queso
Jan 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
If I were in charge of Apple I would milk the Mac for all it's worth and move on to the next big thing

I think we're glimpsing the next big thing now. The more I think about this the more depressing it gets.

EagerDragon
Jan 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
This is a very SAD day, the MAC relegated to just another product we make. I am with Apple due to the MAC and the OS, no matter how clever the new devices are, they are just that..... devices.

Very SAD day.

Next step is to license OSX and let others make computers that runs it. Not sufficiently profitable when you can instead go after the electronic comsumer market. Did you see the chart? They are going where they can sell the most units of anything.

Im sure some of you would be glad for Apple to license the OS, some of us are not, I am afraid this is now a pausable option.

Evangelion
Jan 9, 2007, 03:39 PM
It's all about focus... There doesn't seem to be much drive to perfect the Mac, if they don't even mention it at all in the Macworld keynote... And if there is not much drive from management, there won't be the resources, etc...

they just spet 1.5 hours talking about new and exiting products. kind of products they havent had before. maybe they simply didn't have the time? maybe they had to decide between showcasing brand new products, as opposed to talking about upgrades to an existing product? update that had already been showcased earlier?

Antares
Jan 9, 2007, 03:39 PM
However, I do wish they would focus on Mac stuff at MacWorld and leave the other devices for their own special events.

Soon to be called AppleWorld

EagerDragon
Jan 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
they just spet 1.5 hours talking about new and exiting products. kind of products they havent had before. maybe they simply didn't have the time? maybe they had to decide between showcasing brand new products, as opposed to talking about upgrades to an existing product? update that had already been showcased earlier?

This was MacWorld not CES. The place for this anouncement was CES not Macworld. At MacWorld we want to hear about the Mac. There are a lot of people there that payed good money to see the new and improved MAC products and listen to Steve show those MAC products in the best of light.

To me this was sacriligious or how ever you spell it, you can easily see the point.

digitalbiker
Jan 9, 2007, 03:48 PM

This was the worst keynote presentation in company history.

This is MacWorld not Electronics Inc. Apple needs to keep them seperate. If they want to show off phones and tv devices why don't they just do it at CES like everyone else is this week.

I'm sure the phone will be another great device for collecting face grease and fingerprints and it will probably interest a lot of Japanese and Euro buyers. However this is MacWorld. It is where we see new Mac products. Computers and Software.

Not one mention of Leopard, no products available immediately, no new software. Just more electronic CR@P. Who needs it? I don't even get cell coverage to my house and I sure as H3LL am not going to be downloading mp3 and movie files with slow and expensive Cingular Edge.

I was floored by how boring this event turned out to be. Even if you are a phone addict you can't even buy this product until June. Why show it now? Aren't there any other computer goodies or OS innovations to show that will take place before June?:mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

thequicksilver
Jan 9, 2007, 04:00 PM
:(

This was MacWorld not CES. The place for this anouncement was CES not Macworld. At MacWorld we want to hear about the Mac. There are a lot of people there that payed good money to see the new and improved MAC products and listen to Steve show those MAC products in the best of light.

To me this was sacriligious or how ever you spell it, you can easily see the point.

That sums up my feelings pretty well. Thanks for saving me the need to express them.

Queso
Jan 9, 2007, 04:05 PM
Well, someone liked the keynote anyway...

Yvan256
Jan 9, 2007, 04:08 PM
Let me get this straight: Apple puts OS X in an iPod/phone, and some of you are scared that this is the death of the Mac? :confused:

If anything, that's going to mean an incredibly bigger combined marketshare for OS X world-wide. Also, from what the Apple TV seems to be able to do, I'd bet OS X is in there too.

Also, don't forget the part about "making the hardware to run your own software".

digitalbiker
Jan 9, 2007, 04:08 PM
Well, someone liked the keynote anyway...

Friggin Bean Counters! Jobs could have barfed the word "phone" and they would have been on the floor snatching up shares of stock.The iPhone has been a wall street darling for over a year now.

But this is MacWorld, Not CES.

Evangelion
Jan 9, 2007, 04:09 PM

so they should only talk about macs because the name of the event hast the word "mac" in it? well, maybe they will rename it to somthing else, then they could spend their time talking about anything they want.

like it or not, this was one of the most important product-launches apple has done. ces is not an apple-event, really, so launching at macworld made sense

thejadedmonkey
Jan 9, 2007, 04:11 PM

Their "brand new" product won't be available for 1/2 a year, while iLife and iWorks will be available much much sooner, one would hope

alexf
Jan 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hmm... I don't see too many people complaining that Apple has stopped making computers as a result of the iPod. In fact, the iPod business has supported the computer business by making more people aware of Apple as a company that makes quality products and producing more switchers. This will do the same thing. And as long as the computer business remains profitable, Apple will keep it going, which will happen as long as there aren't vast numbers of idiots who decide that Apple has betrayed them and start buying Dells instead (which is unlikely, despite the comments on this thread). Apple is doing what any sensible company does, pursuing avenues for profit that it thinks will pay off.

Right, but what I am saying is that the innovation factor seems to be truly suffering lately as far as computers go. For one thing, form factors have hardly changed on some products for nearly four years.

It is time for Apple to "wow" us once again with something other than a bloody cell phone (however cool that may be) or entertainment console.

thejadedmonkey
Jan 9, 2007, 04:13 PM
I bet the iPhone OSX is as much as the Mac's OSX like Windows Mobile is like Windows XP. It might look similar, use some similar technologies, but in the end it's different. Don't expect to be able to run any Mac apps on the iPhone.

Which is not a bad thing in itself, people have been trying to cram desktop OS'es into portable devices, and it was a disaster on the useability side. Think Windows CE.

OS X was built to run on a 300mhz PPC with an 8mb graphics card. Most handhelds (also called PPC's for confusion) have at least a 300mhz CPU, and if you put a 500mhz PPC chip in, I'm sure the battery life would be pretty descent. Plus, that would be a sign from apple that support for the PPC chips aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

flir67
Jan 9, 2007, 04:13 PM
I think the name change has something to do with the back dating stock options. like jobs would have to leave apple computer inc. so they just change names their by jobs is still in charge of the new company. any pausiblity to this idea??? along with on macrumors a few days ago there was post of him maybe taking a leave of absence.

the new pc/mac ad is odd.I don't think there going to be anymore ads. pc upgrading to vista and if he doesn't come back????? that just didn't sound right.

and how the he** did apple get the patent for the iphone from linksys... it was proven weeks ago at the linksys release that they owned the patent since the 1996 wasn't it??? linksys get bought out by apple for out???? how..

this keynote I will admit sucked. he released a product not yet approved by the fcc??? for 599.00 with 2year contract.... geez...

hope the fcc doesn't deny it , because of privacy concerns of gps/accelorometer/etc... that would destory them

WestonHarvey1
Jan 9, 2007, 04:19 PM
Next step is to license OSX and let others make computers that runs it. Not sufficiently profitable when you can instead go after the electronic comsumer market. Did you see the chart? They are going where they can sell the most units of anything.

Im sure some of you would be glad for Apple to license the OS, some of us are not, I am afraid this is now a pausable option.

Has nearly everyone in this forum gone completely insane?

The idea that Apple is going to stop building Macs is laughable. What was the Intel switch for? Was it just a whim? Did Steve Jobs wake up a few days ago and say "Nah, let's stop making computers"?

Is the "Get a Mac" campaign over now? What about Leopard?

The Intel switch, the aggressive marketing tactics for OS X - they're all for one reason - to make the Mac so appealing to an even broader segment of the market. There's really no excuse now - they will run Windows if you need them to, and the chip technology will stay in lock step with the PCs and never get left behind because of IBM again. These were big moves, and they were done for a reason, and that reason was not to say "goodbye" to the Mac platform.

MacWorld was used today because of its high profile. This was a huge announcement for Apple. They want everyone to know they are revolutionary innovators in the field of TV over IP, and telecommunications as well. The implications for both products are huge.

It simply doesn't make sense for a company in Apple's current position to retain the name "Apple Computer, Inc." This isn't anything new. Did Nabisco keep the name "National Biscuit Company" after diversifying into other product lines? If they had, it would seem nostalgic and off-target today.

They haven't even been calling themselves Apple for years and years - it stopped making sense the day the iPod was released. It's just official now. Just like the Macintosh has almost always been called a Mac, almost since they day it was released in 1984 - and it's only officially been named the "Mac" for the last couple years.

You should all be excited. Macs are the future of mainstream computing on the desktop, Apple TV and future products are going to change the way you watch television, and the iPhone looks like it might be the fulfillment of the long running promise of convergence, and it just happens to be a tiny, elegant, handheld Mac.

So quit whining and just enjoy the ride!

m-dogg
Jan 9, 2007, 04:20 PM
I had this weird thought this morning that Apple was going to annouce that they were splitting into two companies - Macintosh for computers and Apple for other stuff. That isn't quite what happened, but I guess I prefer they stay togother vs. spliting into separate companies...

Earendil
Jan 9, 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm aware this post is going to get buried in very short order, however some things need to be said...

Who in their right mind thought Apple was going to spend time talking about the Macs? Thing about it, with the switch to Intel everyone was saying "Good, now they have no excuses for releasing new computers as soon as the tech hits the market, instead of waiting months on end"

Do you see a conflict here? Apple can't both release technology asap AND save everything in the last 6 months for a big release at a conference. The Intel chip, as most hopped, is a dawning of an entirely new release schedule and style for Apple. Y'all need to get the knot out of your panties.
We all b*tch about other products and how their interface sucks, and if Apple made it it would be so much better. And then when Apple diversifies (A very good idea for a company!) people whine, b*tch and moan! wtf? A smart phone is a logical next time for those companies on the cutting edge. Look a few decades into the future. The average consumer with the need for portable computing power won't be lugging around something the size of a laptop.

And as for the name change.... please!!
Companies change their name all the time, it happens, it's logical, it makes sense. Get over it. You all have been watching too many reality TV shows or something :rolleyes:

And as for OSX not being talked about... Let the hype build! The were secretive about it before, and now even more so. They want it to be announced with a fan fair to make everyone forget about Vista. Yes, Vista has been released, but it will start hitting more and more news sites as Vista has "News" in it's opening weeks/months, both good and bad. When Apple reaches the front pages of the average consumer with OSX, I want them to be able to go out right then and there and do some research on it, and purchase it. Not go out and find out it is either a few months out, or doesn't even have a release date.
Yes, I want to know all there is to know about 10.5 right now. But I can wait, and I'm sure the lack of any talk was not because it was canceled and "Apple Inc" is moving all the Mac hardware and OSX software developers and engineers over to the iPod department :rolleyes:

Guys need to relax... Go for a jog or something.

ortuno2k
Jan 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
Yea I was also very dissapointed at the name change and a bit concerned.
As far as the keynote was concerned, I was also SHOCKED when I saw it was the end and there were no announcements made about iLife, iWork and Leopard.
What the hell?:eek:

skochan
Jan 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
I was waiting for "Oh, and one more thing...Apple Inc. has bought Apple Corp."

I bet I wasn't alone either...

It's been reported that Apple is close to a deal for the Beatles catalog. I have a feeling they thought they were going to have the deal closed by today, and that may have been the "One more thing..." That would also have explained the Beatles song being played during the iPhone presentation. Just my theory.

me hate windows
Jan 9, 2007, 04:31 PM
Rest in peace Apple Computer.:(

danny_w
Jan 9, 2007, 04:33 PM
I would not expect Apple to quit making Macs, but I would expect Macs to become less and less of a player in the Apple fold. We have already been seeing this happen over the last several years, and changing to the Intel platform just confirms it, because now the Mac is nothing more than a glorified pc, including the guts (with the one distinct difference being OS X of course). We will all have to get used to the idea that iPod, iTv, iPhone, etc. are the future, with Mac somewhere at the bottom of the mix.

mixgrafix
Jan 9, 2007, 04:35 PM
If it were not for the iPod, there might not be an Apple, Inc. right now. 20% of the laptop sector is now Apple based, and you think they are getting out of the computer business? You people need some serious help if you think they are getting out of the computer biz. Especially when the iPhone is a computer.

Poof

stcanard
Jan 9, 2007, 04:39 PM
Why is it that every time Apple mentions anything other than a Mac we have all these people jumping on the site complaining "wahhh Apple's getting out of the computer business, I'm so depressed"

Is this the 21st century version of the "Apple is dying" rumours?

Whatever it is, I have to say I am incredibly sick of it. What is it about a complete refresh of the Mac product line in the last 12 months that says Apple is ignoring that segment?

danny_w
Jan 9, 2007, 04:39 PM
Well I just got my email confirming that Microsoft is shipping my *free* copy of Windows Vista Business, so now I suppose that I need to decide on either a new Intel Mac or a Windows pc. This keynote certainly doesn't help matter any.

*free* as in "Congratulations, you’ve learned how to build well-connected, visually stunning applications with Windows Vista, and now your free, full-licensed copy of Windows Vista Business is on its way." Some gimmick.

Counter
Jan 9, 2007, 04:41 PM
It's been reported that Apple is close to a deal for the Beatles catalog.

Michael Jackson owns the catalog. It's going nowhere.

space1nvaders
Jan 9, 2007, 04:47 PM
Even though they dropped Computer from the name you can't tell me that the iPhone isn't a computer. It's more a computer than a phone. The OS has to be a scaled down version of OSX. I would expect to see an iWork for the iPhone. I know people wouldn't get it if they called it another name (like the Newton) or Mac PPC but it is a pocket computer.

Queso
Jan 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
Apple Corps own the recordings, so it's their decision whether the catalogue is carried on iTunes, not Jackson's. Incidentally, Jackson can only collect royalties on the songs up to 1966. Everything from Sgt. Pepper onwards belongs to Paul McCartney.

SPUY767
Jan 9, 2007, 05:04 PM

You Mean Apple Corps(e)? We bought them off. I think they finally shut up and decided that they'd milked this cow as much as they could.

SpaceJello
Jan 9, 2007, 05:10 PM
Even though they dropped Computer from the name you can't tell me that the iPhone isn't a computer. It's more a computer than a phone. The OS has to be a scaled down version of OSX. I would expect to see an iWork for the iPhone. I know people wouldn't get it if they called it another name (like the Newton) or Mac PPC but it is a pocket computer.

EXACTLY!

The iPhone is NOT a phone or JUST a smartphone. It is a full blown computer/tablet/UMPC or whatever you want to call it waiting on the wings. Wait a few generations, you will see those widgets on the iphone to grow (notice how they are like program icons?) I am sure in the future you can add and delete widgets onto your iPhone as you see fit. There will be an iCal like program soon, with loads of other stuff, including document reader etc.

If anything, the iPhone is the extension of a grander plan for the Mac and Mac OS X to rule the computing world. Imagine, OS X on your phone, computer, Apple TV, etc. It's EVERYWHERE.

Thomas421
Jan 9, 2007, 05:11 PM
iTunes Music Store became iTunes store because they sell other things then movies within the itunes program

Apple Computers Inc becomes Apple Inc because they sell other things then only computerhardware within the Apple Ecosystem

And the Ipod Photo became The iPod again (rien plus) becaus it does so much more than just photo's these days..

So.. i'd say: don't make this bigger as it is.

And if you rename iPhone to iPDA.. we have another computertype in the Apple family
call it Macnano if that pleases you guys

SeaFox
Jan 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
Sorry but MACWorld is suppoced to be about the Mac. This device and the iTV should have been anounced elsewhere.

I actually was thinking this today while in the shower (right after the keynote, I got up early to catch the coverage). The iTV, yeah, they could have done that at the Macworld Expo. But given the huge amount of time they spent on the iPhone, and the fact there is a lot of other stuff we didn't get any updates on, it really would have been better to introduce the iPhone before the Keynote at a separate media-invite event.

Take into consideration the following items:

802.11n Airport (we did get it after the show, but still)
iLife (we were all expecting this one)
iWork (this one too)
Apple Displays
iSight (Hello? They have been taken away and nothing was introduced to replace them.)
Leopard (I thought more info was pretty much planned for today)
Dual Quad-Core MacPros (Intel released the chip recently, this would have been a great time to introduce them)

I mean, when you look at what actually happened at the keynote, you realize it wasn't much. We got iTV and the iPhone, that's it. We didn't even talk about anything else, let alone have anymore new product announcements.

sushi
Jan 9, 2007, 05:22 PM
Okay, so here I am waking up to the results of MWSF.

Overall I feel very positive/good about what I read and see.

I like the Apple name change. Most PC folks that I know that are considering switching refer to Apple Computers as simply Apple. Other companies go through name changes. It's no big deal, and it will fit their image better since Apple is getting into other markets. Besides, they are already known as Apple through their Apple Stores! :)

The iPhone looks cool. I like the PDA type features and hope we see more of them in the future. Love the interface.

Apple TV is nice. Looks very convenient.

A little disappointed that they did not discuss Leopard. However, Apple has changed to introducing new technology items as they are made rather than waiting until key events as they have done in the past. To me this is a much better way of introducing new computers and software. More timely. More effective that way.

Anyhow, overall feel very positive about MWSF!

Looks like 2007 is going to be cool! :)

Thomas421
Jan 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
on th other hand..

Apple releases the iphone: EVERYONE talks about it

if they released some other info today about leopard, it would be in the iphones shadow.

let's just imagine:
march: special event
leopard release date, more info, new hardware etc.
that's twice the media coverage!

Rantipole
Jan 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
I think the name change has something to do with the back dating stock options. like jobs would have to leave apple computer inc. so they just change names their by jobs is still in charge of the new company. any pausiblity to this idea???
No.

I agree that the name change is no big deal.

I also agree with those who say this is MACWORLD, not CES, and so should be directly related to Mac products/development. OTOH, I'm guessing Apple/Jobs thought that announcing during Macworld would create a bigger splash.

flir67
Jan 9, 2007, 05:32 PM
Apple Corps own the recordings, so it's their decision whether the catalogue is carried on iTunes, not Jackson's. Incidentally, Jackson can only collect royalties on the songs up to 1966. Everything from Sgt. Pepper onwards belongs to Paul McCartney.

actually bank of america owns the catalog until he pays of his billion dollar loans, as he used it as collertal for the loans even though jackson has them.

kwong2006
Jan 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
Apple Inc...

You know, somehow, I think they settled the lawsuit with Beatles first. Maybe Steve Jobs had this up in his sleeves all the way. Apple had been diversifying for a long time now, and ceased to become a computer-only company. It's transformation into a truly multimedia company was already underway. Why is he changing it now? The only reason is because of Beatles, IMO.

WestonHarvey1
Jan 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
I would not expect Apple to quit making Macs, but I would expect Macs to become less and less of a player in the Apple fold. We have already been seeing this happen over the last several years, and changing to the Intel platform just confirms it, because now the Mac is nothing more than a glorified pc, including the guts (with the one distinct difference being OS X of course). We will all have to get used to the idea that iPod, iTv, iPhone, etc. are the future, with Mac somewhere at the bottom of the mix.

Are you nuts? Have you even looked at the motherboard of a Mac Pro? Glorified PC? There's virtually nothing that's similar except for the CPU. And what does the CPU matter? Developers don't even notice unless they are programming in assembly language, so what have you noticed that's so different in the user experience that makes it just a "glorified PC"?

Does an ugly black test screen with an Award BIOS logo and a memory count pop up on the screen when you boot? No? Then what the hell?

Amancaes
Jan 9, 2007, 05:43 PM
Friggin Bean Counters! Jobs could have barfed the word "phone" and they would have been on the floor snatching up shares of stock.The iPhone has been a wall street darling for over a year now.

But this is MacWorld, Not CES.

Apple was always innovative, they are constantly demonstrating that, today and in "the good old days". Maybe Macs will not be anylonger the core business (sigh!), but time changes and Steve is a very business-focused man, giving the market what the market wants.
iPods gave (and still) more profits than Apple could imagine, now it's time for cell phones. When competitors are far from you, profits will raise ...
I think this is the natural evolution for an innovative company, using its knowledge to improve and expand its business.

Peace
Jan 9, 2007, 05:46 PM
Well I just got my email confirming that Microsoft is shipping my *free* copy of Windows Vista Business, so now I suppose that I need to decide on either a new Intel Mac or a Windows pc. This keynote certainly doesn't help matter any.

*free* as in "Congratulations, you’ve learned how to build well-connected, visually stunning applications with Windows Vista, and now your free, full-licensed copy of Windows Vista Business is on its way." Some gimmick.

Then go buy a "peecee".I dont think in the whole world realm anyone will care.

pistolero
Jan 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
The money is not in building white pecees or laptops. the money is in converging devices, like the itv, the iphone and whatever else they invent where they have NO strong competitor and they can impose and control the platform (osx in this case). Wise move to drop the word "computer" from the name and focus in consumer electronics.

WestonHarvey1
Jan 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
Dual Quad-Core MacPros (Intel released the chip recently, this would have been a great time to introduce them)
[/LIST]

Not expecting this in the immediate future. Right now the Clovertown tops out at 2.66Ghz, which would make it slower for most uses than the quad 3.0. It would be a great niche product, for those who want an 8-cpu rendering farm on their desks, but I don't think Apple would position an 8-core as the flagship until it outperforms the 3.0 quad in single threads.

gregorsamsa
Jan 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
Apple releases the iphone: EVERYONE talks about it

if they released some other info today about leopard, it would be in the iphones shadow.

let's just imagine:
march: special event
leopard release date, more info, new hardware etc.
that's twice the media coverage!

I agree. Revealing more info about Leopard or any new Mac software, or even announcing a new Mac, would have been a mistake at this Expo. Too many big announcements at one time tends to reduce the impact each one will have individually.

Also, I think people see too much into Apple dropping the "Computer" from their official name. Apple ceased being just a computer company years ago!

Though there's nothing much from this Expo that I need (or want) immediately, I think these gadgets will sell very well & have a great knock-on effect on Mac sales. For me, that's the most important thing by far. - Plus, as far as I'm concerned, all the best stuff (ie. Mac-related) is yet to come!

dllavaneras
Jan 9, 2007, 06:06 PM
The name change was a logical step. They don't just make computers these days :rolleyes:

macEfan
Jan 9, 2007, 06:07 PM
I wish they kept the "apple computer"... Apple was first a computer company, so I think they should stay that way to some degree... I mean 30 years and then you decide to change it to apple inc? oh well...

spimp31
Jan 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
"I would not expect Apple to quit making Macs, but I would expect Macs to become less and less of a player in the Apple fold."

"Sorry but MACWorld is suppoced to be about the Mac. This device and the iTV should have been anounced elsewhere.

Sad day indeed."

"The iPhone is very cool, but I don't spend that kind of cash on phones. Apple TV isn't affordable for a poor grad student (but I'd get one if I could)"

"It's a sad day when the MACWORLD keynote has almost nothing to do with Macs."

"Apple Computer, Inc. has a keynote at MACWORLD. It shows nothing related to the MAC computer line and drops the word computer from it's name.

Hope 20 years from now I don't tell my grandkids 'I remember the day Apple Computer died'."

Should I try and address each one of these ignorant, annoying posts individually? Or explain why this forum seems to have become overrun with illogical sally's whose own attitudes and fears of change run counter intuitive to the Apple attitude and most certainly that of Steve Jobs?

Today WAS MOST CERTAINLY about macs, and only is beyond you if you're too thickheaded to see the strategy coming into play, the MAC OS X technology, software, etc... being implemented into devices, and how these devices interact with Apple computers.

The iTV is DEPENDENT upon having an iTunes library. It most certainly is maximized by owning a mac and having your entire iTunes and iPhoto libraries synced.

Even if people don't own a mac, they're more likely to purchase one in the future if they have an iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV in their possession. What brought me back to the apple fold was OS X and the iPod. If you can't see that "mac" means more than a freakin' desktop or laptop computer, you're blind and ignorant.

Apple isn't going to eliminate computers, where would that leave their products such as the iPhone and iPod? It'd take away the competitive advantage inherent in these products, and what leverages the Apple brand over competitors like Sony, Creative, etc... Likewise, having these diverse product offerings leverages the Apple brand over Dell, HP, Microsoft, and other big players on the other side of things.

Yes, eventually Apple computers will only be part of the pie. Does that mean they will receive fewer updates, less creativity in design, or that the OS is going to go the MS route? Certainly not. The computers have a much higher profit margin and are still going to be important to consumers, but the role of the desktop computer, and even the laptop is changing- not just within Apple, but across the industry. Technology is changing, and it is changing so rapidly that even some of you uber geeks who think you're on the cutting edge can't understand it well enough to see a.) the need for a name change or b.) the direction Apple is headed.

I'm excited about the opportunity to purchase a phone that provides me an experience I can't get from any other phone. I'm proud to be using an iPod that gives me an experience no other MP3 player can provide. And I'm certainly happy to have an iMac and Macbook that provide me with a computing experience no other PC manufacturer can provide. WHY AREN'T the rest of you?

I'll be honest, I've hated the fact that Apple has used the MacWorld expo to highlight small (and in the grand scheme of things- meaningless) changes in iLife or iWork. Does MS need to have a big expo to highlight a few changes in a moderately updated version of their office or WMP software? And what BIG announcements were we going to get today? That a processor has been upped by .33 GHz? That there are new displays to go with such life altering uses for your computer?

This thread makes it quite obvious who GETS Apple, and who doesn't have the slighest clue where the company is headed.

Oh, and for the grad student who can't afford an Apple TV (the same price as an iPod, which he probably has) and won't buy a phone priced the same as any other smart phone... dunno what to tell you. Perhaps you should take a step back and realize that Apple isn't aiming their products to appeal to everyone. They expect those that want a smart phone to pay a smart phone price. They expect people who own a hi-def big screen television to have the money for a media center with a hard drive, wi-fi, and HDMI/Optical outputs. That's life.

twoodcc
Jan 9, 2007, 06:20 PM

i guess it could be.......

but i don't think it's that big of a deal......or at least not yet

mac-er
Jan 9, 2007, 06:53 PM
Well, I guess all of us were right that said the "Welcome to 2007" banner on Apple.com did have some hidden meaning about a "new Apple".

TSEliotLives
Jan 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
This type of news at a MacWorld Expo circa 1994 would have made all of the non-believers' heads explode. Literally. Can you imagine? "Now, in addition to this amazing 68030-based LC III, there's one last thing..."

And, as far as the name change is concerned, I say, it's about time. Apple is simply acknowledging the fact that they don't just make computers anymore: they are a lifestyle products company. Like it or not, it's true. Is Sony's legal name "Sony DVD Players, Inc.?" Or, is Bose "Bose Overpriced Speakers, Inc.?" No. They're both "lifestyle" product companies, and their names fit their purposes. Nothing more, nothing less. So please, for the sanity of all those involved, stop ringing the funeral bells for Apple Computer. Nothing has died. In fact, the Apple we know and love is experiencing a rebirth, and all of the "fanboys" (or 'girls) should lick Jobs' feet for the charisma and change he's brought to the company. He took overpriced, too-proprietary beige boxes and made a line of sexy, gotta-have electronic power tools that are the envy of the industry (need proof? Look at Vista). Cry, whine, caterwaul, I don't care. Those who do not embrace change will simply be flattened by it.

The product announcements today further display the Mac's innate ability to change, to re-configure and address consumers' needs -- sometimes, before those needs are even apparent to the consumer. Ask anyone in retail, and they'll tell you it's all about discovering "unknown" needs. The iPhone extends the Mac experience into places a desktop or even portable simply haven't been able to go yet. Just as the iPod brought us Apple through Audio (and look at the way it has changed the Capitalist world), so to, I'm confident, will the iPhone.

And Apple TV? Well, my friends, it brings the Mac experience into yet another place it has yet to go: the living room. If there were a way to bring the Mac experience to my kitchen or bath, I'd be the first in line. As far as I'm concerned, this is marketing genius, and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly lives in their mother's basement. And therefore, please share your opinions with your pet rat. No one else has time for tears.

This is not the death of our Apple. This is a rebirth: stop fearing change and buying into the group-think FUD. It's only going to get better.

aussiesteve
Jan 9, 2007, 07:16 PM
it is the future of home computing.

i think this is the start of a home computing revolution. a small pocket size computer that you can carry around with you all the time then take it home and plug it in to the new apple tv box and use your 40-50 inch hi-def tv/monitor in you media room to view the screen larger. soon the flash memory will be bigger and bigger.

i think it will have cut-down apple apps soon to run on it, like big widgets. the phone is only a small part of this thing.

you could do work on it, have video conferencing, use skype anywhere in the world, play music, look at photos, watch movies, play games, find a street while in your car, check the weather, take a small pic, etc.

you could be on your way home on the train and download a movie off itunes that will be ready when you get in the door.

I can see apple grabbing huge ground in the home computing market in the coming years. why have a crappy box sitting on your desk in the office as the only way of using your computer?

Apple hasn't forgotten computing at all.. its just starting to re-invent it!

dante@sisna.com
Jan 9, 2007, 07:18 PM
I am blown away by the lack of vision on Mac Rumors today.

This is the most important day EVER for the MAC and Apple.

And very few here understand why.

Age has its benefits.

i think this is the start of a home computing revolution. a small pocket size computer that you can carry around with you all the time then take it home and plug it in to the new apple tv box and use your 40-50 inch hi-def tv/monitor in you media room to view the screen larger. soon the flash memory will be bigger and bigger.

i think it will have cut-down apple apps soon to run on it, like big widgets. the phone is only a small part of this thing.

you could do work on it, have video conferencing, use skype anywhere in the world, play music, look at photos, watch movies, play games, find a street while in your car, check the weather, take a small pic, etc.

you could be on your way home on the train and download a movie off itunes that will be ready when you get in the door.

I can see apple grabbing huge ground in the home computing market in the coming years. why have a crappy box sitting on your desk in the office as the only way of using your computer?

YES EXACTLY -- THIS IS HOW HOME AND HOME OFFICE COMPUTING WILL EVOLVE. BRAVO.

This Phone-like device controls it all, from anywhere.

Heilige
Jan 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
The iPhone is an AWESOME innovation and will sell very well and is good for Apple, BUT...

When I sit down and think about what is happening, I feel as if the Apple Computer company I used to know is no longer on my side anymore, especially since I do not use most of these "gadgets" and primarily use a Personal Computer system like the iMac.

"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth -- and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago." Steve Jobs -- Fortune, Feb. 19, 1996

Stop and think about what Steve Jobs said in that quote and what he seems to be doing today. At a MacWorld he spends almost the entire keynote on a phone and then announces the drop of "Computer" from the company name as if he is trying hard to drop the ideas that created the Macintosh and it's OS (The reason I use Macs) moving on to "the next great thing".

Even though I think and agree that this is very good for Apple, what I fear is that this is bad for those who likes Macintosh Computers, not cell phones and music players.

...And for those who would say stop whining and accept the great new products from Apple I have one long sentence for you... People today are less secure and less trusting (rightfully so) than they used to be, so being pessimistic about this Macintosh vs iPhone/iPod issue is totally fitting in this day and age.

imikem
Jan 9, 2007, 07:34 PM
After all these years, I think it may have hit home with Mr. Jobs that calling the company Apple Computer had become a redundancy. Firstly, everyone except maybe some former Apple // customers knows the company simply as Apple. Secondly, the term Computer has become all but meaningless. There's probably more computing power in some people's shoes now than there was in dedicated systems in the 70s. The iPod, the iPhone, etc. are all computers, as are Macs.

We expect the company to make complicated things simple. What better place to start than with the name? Apple Inc. is a simplification, and a welcome one.

mixgrafix
Jan 9, 2007, 07:39 PM
First step to dropping your computer business: drop the word "computer" from your business name.

Introduce lots of non-computer products. Note that there wasn't any word about Macintoshes OR Leopard at the keynote.

Port over the best apps from your computer platform to a competitor *cough*iTunes*cough*.

I think they still make computers....

Could not have said it better myself.

GekkePrutser
Jan 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
I have to say, after just watching the actual keynote, that the Mac got a bigger and much more positive mention than I originally thought. I was also much more impressed with the iPhone, than I was from reading the macrumors transcript (even though it was a great job this year, with the photos and all)

I think I took the transcript too much for the actual keynote, of course it was only a few words per minute where the actual keynote was a continuous presentation. And it was less suited to a transcript because it was all unexpected stuff rather than updates to things which are known already. I have a much more positive feeling after watching it. Especially the control concept is much clearer. I think next time I'm just going to wait for the stream. I agree with a previous poster that it would be much better for Apple to just offer a live stream to everyone. The RDF just doesn't translate well into writing :)

I still think the Mac warranted a bit more than the few minutes it got though. After all, this is the Macworld. But I'm not so much concerned about the future of it now.

Kane.Elson
Jan 9, 2007, 07:56 PM
OMG THEY HAVE REMOVED THE COMPUTERS FROM THE APPLE STORE O_O.......

Ohh wait, silly me, they are still there. I guess I just got caught up in the hype over a damnn name change....

Macintosh computers are not going anywhere any time soon.

macfan881
Jan 9, 2007, 08:02 PM
its funny how last year i thinkit was it they talked bout software like the speed comparisons on how much better intel was for 50 min or something like that and every one wished they showed off more products its now the other way around this year

p0intblank
Jan 9, 2007, 08:07 PM
While the name change is somewhat depressing, it really does make sense. Everyone knows the company as "Apple" and not "Apple Computer." Steve obviously wanted to make it official. And plus it's the products that matter the most! :D

zwida
Jan 9, 2007, 08:40 PM
I think they still make computers....

Exactly. And more importantly, they still make kick-ass computers. And even more importantly, they're still dedicated to keeping those kick-ass computers at the forefront (if not the bleeding edge) of technology. I think the name change will help investors (and their advisors) start to look at this company as a media & technology company rather than just a PC & iPod manufacturer.

I can't see getting worked up about the notion that they're going to stop making computers. The fast, sleek, powerful computer is at the center of all the whiz-bang gadgetry they announced today.

Name change can't be a bad thing from where I'm sitting.

Stridder44
Jan 9, 2007, 08:49 PM

Very SAD day.

lol you guys need to get out more.

EagerDragon
Jan 9, 2007, 09:32 PM

I agree, the bean counters are in charge. Money is available to inovate in the areas with the biggest return on investments, guys we been kicked in the b^lls.

The fact that they did not even mention any of the Mac products of software and at leasrt say there will soon be an anouncement very soon. Besides they know quite well that people go to MacWorld to hear about Mac hardware and software. I am absolutly perplexed that they did not think we would protest or did not care if we did. This was Mac world, electronic devices belong at CES. I agree that the amount of inovation going into the Mac is not what it should be. Yes we have nice CPU, but those are made by Intel, yes we have 802.11n but those are made by someone else again. They put the R&D on the phone not on the Mac or OSX.

I love the phone, but I love my Mac and OSX a heck of a lot more.

Wow and no vaseline.

Dagless
Jan 9, 2007, 09:46 PM
Apple Inc. I like it. They're doing more and more so it makes sense to me.

kresh
Jan 9, 2007, 09:46 PM
SNIP "Hope 20 years from now I don't tell my grandkids 'I remember the day Apple Computer died'." /SNIP

Should I try and address each one of these ignorant, annoying posts individually? Or explain why this forum seems to have become overrun with illogical sally's whose own attitudes and fears of change run counter intuitive to the Apple attitude and most certainly that of Steve Jobs?

Today WAS MOST CERTAINLY about macs, and only is beyond you if you're too thickheaded to see the strategy coming into play, the MAC OS X technology, software, etc... being implemented into devices, and how these devices interact with Apple computers.

The iTV is DEPENDENT upon having an iTunes library. It most certainly is maximized by owning a mac and having your entire iTunes and iPhoto libraries synced.

Even if people don't own a mac, they're more likely to purchase one in the future if they have an iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV in their possession. What brought me back to the apple fold was OS X and the iPod. If you can't see that "mac" means more than a freakin' desktop or laptop computer, you're blind and ignorant.

Apple isn't going to eliminate computers, where would that leave their products such as the iPhone and iPod? It'd take away the competitive advantage inherent in these products, and what leverages the Apple brand over competitors like Sony, Creative, etc... Likewise, having these diverse product offerings leverages the Apple brand over Dell, HP, Microsoft, and other big players on the other side of things.

Yes, eventually Apple computers will only be part of the pie. Does that mean they will receive fewer updates, less creativity in design, or that the OS is going to go the MS route? Certainly not. The computers have a much higher profit margin and are still going to be important to consumers, but the role of the desktop computer, and even the laptop is changing- not just within Apple, but across the industry. Technology is changing, and it is changing so rapidly that even some of you uber geeks who think you're on the cutting edge can't understand it well enough to see a.) the need for a name change or b.) the direction Apple is headed.

I'm excited about the opportunity to purchase a phone that provides me an experience I can't get from any other phone. I'm proud to be using an iPod that gives me an experience no other MP3 player can provide. And I'm certainly happy to have an iMac and Macbook that provide me with a computing experience no other PC manufacturer can provide. WHY AREN'T the rest of you?

I'll be honest, I've hated the fact that Apple has used the MacWorld expo to highlight small (and in the grand scheme of things- meaningless) changes in iLife or iWork. Does MS need to have a big expo to highlight a few changes in a moderately updated version of their office or WMP software? And what BIG announcements were we going to get today? That a processor has been upped by .33 GHz? That there are new displays to go with such life altering uses for your computer?

This thread makes it quite obvious who GETS Apple, and who doesn't have the slighest clue where the company is headed.

Oh, and for the grad student who can't afford an Apple TV (the same price as an iPod, which he probably has) and won't buy a phone priced the same as any other smart phone... dunno what to tell you. Perhaps you should take a step back and realize that Apple isn't aiming their products to appeal to everyone. They expect those that want a smart phone to pay a smart phone price. They expect people who own a hi-def big screen television to have the money for a media center with a hard drive, wi-fi, and HDMI/Optical outputs. That's life.

You're trying to paint too rosy of a picture!

Apple Inc. is going to sell quite a few of these phones to windows users.

We know on the Mac side that for the iPhone that iTunes is going to pull contacts, calendar, email settings ect... straight from OSX apps. But what about the Windows side. Just which of the hundreds of apps is iTunes going to pull this stuff from?

Oh wait a minute, maybe for Windows users Apple could port over some MORE OS X apps (like they did iTunes) to the Windows platform to enhance the iPhone users experience. Does that mean the iCal, Address Book, Mail, or even iPhoto, for that matter is going to show up on Windows?

Once that particular Genie is out of the bottle what's to stop the rest of iLife and then iWork to port over as well. Sure they will not port the PRO apps, there is no need.

My fear is that by polymorphing (for the AD&D fans) into a consumer electronics company the Mac is going to suffer, as a lot of what makes the Mac so great winds up on Windows to make the iPhone great on Windows Vista.

So if Apple comes out with a string of 10 truly awesome devices that just have to work flawlessly with Windows, I can't help but seeing it detract from the Mac platform.

Have you watched the keynote yet? The first 5 minutes were about the Mac, specifically how Intel really pulled them through with the design process.

Later he went on to describe how long the iPhone took to develop, the "Custom Silicon" and "Incredible Miniaturization".

So here we are. Intels doing the design work on the computers and the real Mac experience is the software. Two new devices are introduced, Apple TV and iPhone. iTunes had to be ported for iPod, Apple TV and iPhone. What else is going to have to be ported over for iPhone?

The really big question is, what's going to be left that makes the Mac a Mac?

edit: The only saving grace is that Steve did say in the keynote that there were some really big things coming for the Mac in the next few months.

EagerDragon
Jan 9, 2007, 09:50 PM

No, you should respect their right to voice their opinion without calling them ignorant and other names.

Just express your sane counter point. It's called comunication and exchange of ideas.
There are at least two views, either one could be wrong, and time will tell which.

wjsiii
Jan 9, 2007, 09:52 PM
I read through this site and posts all of the time but until now have never had a desire to post anything, but I have to speak up tonight.

I've read through these three pages of posts and a big percentage of the users think that it's doom and gloom for Apple and the Mac. Are you guys nuts? At the very least some of you are completely hystrionic. :)

First let me remind you that this is just a company, albiet a great one, and while it may deserve your attention as consumers it does not deserve worship, and neither does Jobs :D . But if you all think that Jobs is going to give up the "computer ghost" and surrender to MS you're nuts. Jobs is the type of guy who wants to win, it's all about him, what he wants, etc, and he wants to win. The Mac is going to continue to grow in an explosive manner within homes around the world.

Today was about the iPhone, and why not? It's such a big deal that to even mention other products like Jaguar, Macs, etc would be a waste of time, the new handheld wonder device is too big of a deal.

But to you who say that MacWorld is about Macs, and Apple Computers and not phones and MP3 players I have a question for you: Just what do you think the iPhone is? A sad little cell phone? Holy crap, this thing is a computer, a small and incredibly sophisticated computing device. Apple, spent loads of time and money making a sweet little version of OSX and applications for this unit to boot, it is a computer and so much more. I'm not so sure that this device will give Apple, Inc. 1% of the cell phone market because it's way more device than most people will need or want, and I'm not so sure of the price point. But it does indicate where the iPod is headed in the very near future (this year). It also makes me think that we'll see Apple branded phones that are less costly too, albiet less capable. I think we'll soon see another video iPod now with the widescreen and touch screen design too.

I also think that Apple may well have ignored Jaguar today because they may be planning on still releasing it around the end of this month when Vista hits the market. It would be so like Jobs to want to rain on Microsofts's parade. And to ignore it today helps lend the idea that it is still a bit far off, and that's something I doubt.

So those of you who are worshiping stop it, and those of you who are whining, and predicting doom and gloom stop it. Apple, Inc. is on a major roll. And I'm pumped. Back in '97 I threw some serious cash into Apple stock on Job's return, and I've been letting it ride and smiling all along the way.

I think a lot of the rumors that have been circling about are accurate, and we'll see some product releases soon, new monitors (HDMI I hope), hardware upgrades for the Macs, etc. It's happended this way before let's not forget, that Apple will just quitely make a change or product announcement and catch us all off our guard.

So let's relax and be glad Apple is doing so well. Happy New Year to all of you and to Apple, Inc. too.

Mr. EMan
Jan 9, 2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=183

If I remember correctly, Apple officially applied for this name change some four years before DELL dropped computer from the name (Dell's still around, right?)

In any case, excellent lyrics, Mr. GeeYouEye.

[I]A long long time ago
I can still remember
when Apple still made PC's.
And I knew if I had my chance,
I'd make their CPU's dance,
And maybe we'd be happy... for a while.
But January made me shiver
With every press release I'd quiver -
iPhone on the doorstep -
I couldn't take one more step.
I can't remember if I cried
When I read the phone began with "i"
But something touched me deep inside
The day... "Computer" died.

MonkeyClaw
Jan 9, 2007, 10:02 PM
I read through this site and posts all of the time but until now have never had a desire to post anything, but I have to speak up tonight.

I've read through these three pages of posts and a big percentage of the users think that it's doom and gloom for Apple and the Mac. Are you guys nuts? At the very least some of you are completely hystrionic. :)

First let me remind you that this is just a company, albiet a great one, and while it may deserve your attention as consumers it does not deserve worship, and neither does Jobs :D . But if you all think that Jobs is going to give up the "computer ghost" and surrender to MS you're nuts. Jobs is the type of guy who wants to win, it's all about him, what he wants, etc, and he wants to win. The Mac is going to continue to grow in an explosive manner within homes around the world.

Today was about the iPhone, and why not? It's such a big deal that to even mention other products like Jaguar, Macs, etc would be a waste of time, the new handheld wonder device is too big of a deal.

But to you who say that MacWorld is about Macs, and Apple Computers and not phones and MP3 players I have a question for you: Just what do you think the iPhone is? A sad little cell phone? Holy crap, this thing is a computer, a small and incredibly sophisticated computing device. Apple, spent loads of time and money making a sweet little version of OSX and applications for this unit to boot, it is a computer and so much more. I'm not so sure that this device will give Apple, Inc. 1% of the cell phone market because it's way more device than most people will need or want, and I'm not so sure of the price point. But it does indicate where the iPod is headed in the very near future (this year). It also makes me think that we'll see Apple branded phones that are less costly too, albiet less capable. I think we'll soon see another video iPod now with the widescreen and touch screen design too.

I also think that Apple may well have ignored Jaguar today because they may be planning on still releasing it around the end of this month when Vista hits the market. It would be so like Jobs to want to rain on Microsofts's parade. And to ignore it today helps lend the idea that it is still a bit far off, and that's something I doubt.

So those of you who are worshiping stop it, and those of you who are whining, and predicting doom and gloom stop it. Apple, Inc. is on a major roll. And I'm pumped. Back in '97 I threw some serious cash into Apple stock on Job's return, and I've been letting it ride and smiling all along the way.

I think a lot of the rumors that have been circling about are accurate, and we'll see some product releases soon, new monitors (HDMI I hope), hardware upgrades for the Macs, etc. It's happended this way before let's not forget, that Apple will just quitely make a change or product announcement and catch us all off our guard.

So let's relax and be glad Apple is doing so well. Happy New Year to all of you and to Apple, Inc. too.

Great post, hit the nail on the head. The name change is just that, a name change. People are making a way way way to big of a deal out of this. And to those who say this is MacWorld, well this thing is just as much a small Mac in your pocket as it is a phone.

And also, the basic interface concepts shown IN USE today just spell out further implementation and inovation on Apple's part. Just like the banner said, this is just the beginning and showing off these interface elements on this portable platform is just amazing news.

digitalbiker
Jan 9, 2007, 10:07 PM
edit: The only saving grace is that Steve did say in the keynote that there were some really big things coming for the Mac in the next few months.

The only problem I have with that is it seems Steve always throws out that standard byline and it turns out to be just fluff.

"This is the year of the laptop." The PB was the only release.
"This is the Year of HD" Big deal they made one or two apps HD.

He always seems to indicate everything is coming but most times it doesn't come.

But being the ever trusting mac soul, I will optimistically hope that new machines are just a month or two away. :) :)

Jan 9, 2007, 10:08 PM
I am floored at the level of hysteria, drama and foolishness of SO MANY Macrumors members because Apple changed their name (makes total sense, and I support it) and Leopard or Macs were not mentioned.

Okay LISTEN UP children:

Macworld = Consumer Show

WWDC = OS X, Mac computers

I can't wait until until they change the name of Macworld to AppleWorld and you all wet your pants.

kresh
Jan 9, 2007, 10:16 PM
I am floored at the level of hysteria, drama and foolishness of SO MANY Macrumors members because Apple changed their name (makes total sense, and I support it) and Leopard or Macs were not mentioned.

Okay LISTEN UP children:

Macworld = Consumer Show

I can't wait until until they change the name of Macworld to AppleWorld and you all wet your pants.

hehe I doubt IDG World Expo would change the name.

danny_w
Jan 9, 2007, 10:20 PM
Please, let us not resort to insulting each other over this, whatever our feelings in the matter. Time will tell the course of the company, and any insults now will only hurt each of us. If you want to present an opinion, present it that way and realize that others may not have the same opinion; that doesn't make them any less worthy of their opinion.

Annndy!
Jan 9, 2007, 10:28 PM
I'll run naked through Times Square the day Apple announces they're not going to make computers anymore. Hold me to it. :rolleyes:

Warbrain
Jan 9, 2007, 10:33 PM
It's been fun. End of an era, but it's not hard to see it coming.

Mgkwho
Jan 9, 2007, 10:53 PM
Apple will NOT release new hardware alongside Leopard, iLife, iWork, and .Mac.

The four pieces of software will now most likely have their own special event, i'm guessing in March. Technically March 21st is spring (or is it the 20th?), but Apple has been known not to exactly heed to their own timetables.

[cough]shuffle in october[cough]

-=|Mgkwho

mazola
Jan 10, 2007, 12:33 AM
Rest in peace Apple Computer.:(

Inc.! Inc.!

Evangelion
Jan 10, 2007, 01:12 AM

No, he doesn't. He owns the rights to re-record them. If someone wants to make a cover-version of Yellow Submarine, ht needs to talk with MJ. But actual songs sung by The Beatles is controlled by The Beatles (or Apple Corps, which in turn is controlled by The Beatles).

redAPPLE
Jan 10, 2007, 01:12 AM
Not even Apples cash cow the iLife yearly update. MacWorld should be about Macs.(

i personally don't believe iLife is apple's cash cow.

I also agree with those who say this is MACWORLD, not CES, and so should be directly related to Mac products/development.

"macworld" is called macworld, because during the good ol' days, apple only had macs to present.

i am sure steve could have talked the whole day about iLife, iWork, x.5 etc. but as another poster said, it would not be reported in the media, because everybody would be talking about the iPhone anyway...

besides, id rather have have media events every 2 months than just a couple every year...

EricNau
Jan 10, 2007, 01:24 AM
I always thought the name "Apple Computer" was a nice reminder to the general public that "that iPod company" also made computers. ...Now that it's just "Apple" that association might be lost (at least for a few).

I'm hoping the name change was to simply reflect the fact that "Apple Computer" is now making more than just computers, not a sign of a completely different business strategy that places Macs and OS X at the bottom. :(

SeaFox
Jan 10, 2007, 01:25 AM
Macworld = Consumer Show

Actually:
Macworld = Consumer show (products for consumers and professionals)

Apple Macintosh products
Third Party software and hardware
Demos and workshops on using said products

WWDC = Developers Conference (information for Macintosh platform developers)

Internal mechanics of OSX
How interface changes effect YOU (the developer)
Demos and workshops on coding tools and OS technologies

WWDC was never meant to be a venue for new hardware announcements. It used to be a dry, old coding convention. But people get excited about new versions of OSX and since information about new versions is revealed at the developers conference, that has made WWDC an event to look forward to for even Apple consumers. Apple has picked up on this and started using it as a venue to make announcements that are pretty much unrelated. Part of this goes back to the Macworld New York disputes with IDG (remember that? Beantown vs NY?) Apple chooses to sit out a show to show IDG that, well, without Apple it isn't much of an Expo, and has to find another time to roll out snappy products that is in the summer. Bingo, the WWDC Apple has some real control over! And now there is no MWNY.

I always thought the name "Apple Computer" was a nice reminder to the general public that "that iPod company" also made computers. ...Now that it's just "Apple" that association might be lost (at least for a few).

I get rather sick of hearing the company called "Mac".

"Having trouble getting connected with the Airport? Better call Mac."

sushi
Jan 10, 2007, 05:20 AM
I dang near wet my pants reading your post!

Love it! :)

Apple, Inc. is a much more descriptive name for the company that we know and love their products.

kresh
Jan 10, 2007, 05:35 AM
I dang near wet my pants reading your post!

Love it! :)

Apple, Inc. is a much more descriptive name for the company that we know and love their products.

You are right of course, but that's not what I've been talking about that "died" with the name change.

There are two sounds that I will never, ever, ever, ever forget. The first is the sound of the Apple ][ key click and the second is the Apple ][ 5 1/4" floppy drive (To this day I still wonder how the damn things could work when they sounded like something inside was scrubbing itself to death). I can still hear those sounds in my head.

Whenever I saw "Apple Computer Inc." I had a direct visual cue to those stored sounds and all the wonderful memories they invoke.

It was the only thing left. The logo has been changed, the hardware is radically different, almost nothing is left.

As for me, you will never change my mind that January 9, 2007 Apple Computer died.

There is an old saying that talks about "America's love affair with the automobile", but for me, since I was 14ish (now I'm 40), it was the love of Apple Computer Inc.

Something very profound was taken away yesterday and all of you people calling us names, and call us afraid of change, are just missing the point entirely!

mkjj
Jan 10, 2007, 05:36 AM
Don't panic guys, the name now reflects the business. They still need to produce Macs to tie it all together, without the Macs they whole thing falls apart!

asterizk
Jan 10, 2007, 07:50 AM
Does this indicate a shift to a more diversified model (see: Dell and HP)?

Well, Steve Jobs did have that Alan Kay quote in his presentation -- something along the lines of "those who are passionate about their software, should make their own hardware". So I doubt they're getting out of the hardware business anytime soon. As I recall that's where they've made their biggest margins...

Wooster
Jan 10, 2007, 08:11 AM
Sorry to see this great computer company becoming a toy company. Seems like the begening of an end.:(

sushi
Jan 10, 2007, 08:17 AM
There are two sounds that I will never, ever, ever, ever forget. The first is the sound of the Apple ][ key click and the second is the Apple ][ 5 1/4" floppy drive (To this day I still wonder how the damn things could work when they sounded like something inside was scrubbing itself to death). I can still hear those sounds in my head.
I started on big iron (IBM, Honeywell, Univac).

But my first personal desktop computer was an Apple ][. And yes, I fondly remember those sounds as well.

Whenever I saw "Apple Computer Inc." I had a direct visual cue to those stored sounds and all the wonderful memories they invoke.
Same here! :)

Just like your first love, you will never forget her. ;)

As for me, you will never change my mind that January 9, 2007 Apple Computer died.
I respect your opinion. And having been using Apples since the Apple ][ I hear ya.

But for me, this is a new beginning. Apple Computer, Inc. just about died in the 90's with mismanagement. Steve came back and rescued the company with the introduction of the first iMac. And the rest has been history. Now Apple is taking the next step and it is so exciting to be able see it and live it.

All good companies change as they mature. Apple is no different! :)

swishyfresh
Jan 10, 2007, 08:23 AM
Sorry to see this great computer company becoming a toy company. Seems like the begening of an end.:(

Some people regard Desktop computers as toys, since all they purchase one for is gaming.

I'm not very dissapointed wireless syncing isn't introduced in iPhone... I'm sure it will come. This is just a starting block, and already raises the standard... it will only continue to do so.

But for me, this is a new beginning. Apple Computer, Inc. just about died in the 90's with mismanagement. Steve came back and rescued the company with the introduction of the first iMac. And the rest has been history. Now Apple is taking the next step and it is so exciting to be able see it and live it.

All good companies change as they mature. Apple is no different! :)

I agree with that!

I'm a very recent Mac convert and use to be heavily involved in programming on Windows. Now that I actually have a Mac and I've bought in to their entire ethos, I just want Mac everywhere!... I want mac in my toaster, in my socks, and in my shampoo!

And kudos to Apple, because no other company has ever been able to get me to buy in to them in the same manner.

Wooster
Jan 10, 2007, 08:38 AM
Some people regard Desktop computers as toys, since all they purchase one for is gaming.

I'm not very dissapointed wireless syncing isn't introduced in iPhone... I'm sure it will come. This is just a starting block, and already raises the standard... it will only continue to do so.

Exactly, iphone is not really a standalone product. The computers are still the center of almost everything (ipods, appleTV ect.), and yet, the computers and the software gets the stepmotherly treatment.

Unspeaked
Jan 10, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'd wanted to chime in on this yesterday, but took some time to think about things a little more in regard to the name change.

Though I am firmly a member of the group of Mac enthusiasts that doesn't like the change, I think we have to realize something: the name change is bad for the Mac, but good for Apple.

Since the day that iTunes and iLife were introduced, and certainly from the time the first generation iPod was unveiled, Apple has been moving in the direction of a consumer electronics company. This is in no small part due to Steve Job's vision. The iMac was his quick fix upon his return to Apple, but he's clearly had much larger goals on his mind, and there's been no lack of evidence that Mr. Jobs has some admiration for Sony.

Ten years ago, it would have been difficult to picture an Apple Computer, Inc that sold music devices, branded blank media, speakers, products to interface with a television set, phones, pre-recorded music, etc. Today, we expect this sort of thing, and the majority of rumors that float around sites like this concern them.

Someone made a good point earlier that it was nice that Apple's old name reminded all the people walking into the Apple Store or buying a shuffle that - hey, that company makes computers, too! Maybe you should check them out...

The new name places the computer part of the business in the back of the room. Which is exactly where Apple wants it. Which is why they've hit a 52-week high on the stock market. This is what Steve wants. This is what the directors want. This is what the market wants.

Those of us lamenting the name change may be sentimental, but we're also a little irrational. We need to let go, and be happy that Apple's moving forward. We need to accept the fact that the company is placing less emphasis on their computer hardware and software and moving into new territory.

As long as the computers are still around, even if they're a smaller part of a larger business, I'll be happy with that...

Evangelion
Jan 10, 2007, 09:29 AM
I don't really understand what people are complaining about. That Apple is paying less attention to their computers? Are they, really? They just went through with a major architecture-change. They have been upgrading their computers very, very fast. We have got new features, faster processors, more RAM etc. etc. If anything, they are updating their computer MORE these days than they did in PPC-times.

The problem seems to be that Apple has more than just computers in their lineup these days. And when people see Apple talk about iPod, they think that "well, there's another occasion they could have used to talk about the Mac instead....". But the fact remains that Apple has NOT negletted their computer-lineup. If anything, their computers are today more competetive than they have been ever before. Yes, Apple has non-computer products these days. No, that does not mean that they are paying less attention to the Mac. I bet that the Mac-team has more money, manpower and resources at their disposal today than they had say five years ago. So how exactly have things gone for the worse? Is this some kind of Inter-Apple jealousy?

Jowl
Jan 10, 2007, 09:44 AM
I don't really understand what people are complaining about. That Apple is paying less attention to their computers? Are they, really? They just went through with a major architecture-change. They have been upgrading their computers very, very fast. We have got new features, faster processors, more RAM etc. etc. If anything, they are updating their computer MORE these days than they did in PPC-times.

The problem seems to be that Apple has more than just computers in their lineup these days. And when people see Apple talk about iPod, they think that "well, there's another occasion they could have used to talk about the Mac instead....". But the fact remains that Apple has NOT negletted their computer-lineup. If anything, their computers are today more competetive than they have been ever before. Yes, Apple has non-computer products these days. No, that does not mean that they are paying less attention to the Mac. I bet that the Mac-team has more money, manpower and resources at their disposal today than they had say five years ago. So how exactly have things gone for the worse? Is this some kind of Inter-Apple jealousy?

EXACTLY.

Major change to new processors, A bunch of new computers - Mini, Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro and an upcoming superOS (hopefully!)

I can understand people feeling a little bit 'sad' at Apple Computer being changed....but things are converging. 'Computers' are in everything now...TVs, DVD's, DVR's etc.

Apple is just moving with the times....and getting a great revenue stream from iPod and (probably) iPhone.

eladekralc
Jan 10, 2007, 09:48 AM
Jobs says...

2007 is going to be a great year for the MAC!

Over the next couple of months there is to be some 'awesome stuff' for the MAC.

Salivating at the prospects...

Mac'Mo
Jan 10, 2007, 11:25 AM
This is prolly the sign that apple is moving towards all consumer electronics and not just computers. Like sony.....a sexier, better sony!

LethalWolfe
Jan 10, 2007, 12:45 PM
I agree that the people fearing Apple is moving away from computers are being a bit like Chicken Little. Apple's reach is growing to incorporate consumer electronic devices along side it's computer line up. It's not shifting away form the Mac it's creating more peripherals for the Mac essentially.

After years of computer companies talking about the "digital hub" in the home it's finally starting to take shape. It really started w/the iTMS and being able to stream music from your Mac to your stereo via Airport Express, and now you can download HD movies on your Xbox360 via Xbox Live. The computer as the core of your home entertainment center is starting to trickle into the mainstream and become a reality. Apple would be insane not to create more "smart devices" that can utilize Macs as their hub.

If anyone thinks Apple's computers are getting neglected they are high. Mac hardware is more competitive now than it has been in years and with Apples recent software moves (the big price drop of Shake, the acquisition of Silicon Color makers of high end video software, etc.,) there are going to be some very exciting changes to Apple's pro software in the not to distant future.

Lethal

danny_w
Jan 10, 2007, 01:07 PM
This is prolly the sign that apple is moving towards all consumer electronics and not just computers. Like sony.....a sexier, better sony!
Well, I certainly hope better. It can't be much worse. IMHO Sony is the last company on earth you would want to model yourself after.

deputy_doofy
Jan 10, 2007, 01:32 PM
I can't get through all of the negative posts in this thread. WTF are people complaining about? A name change? Oooooooooooooooh. They lose the word "computer" and people lose their brains.

The iPhone is a great thing for so many reasons. A screen that is an ever-changing keyboard is awesome. Multi-touch for different kinds of actions is spectacular. I can go on and on, but the fact is, these touch-screen options are a part of OS X. The limitless possibilities may be what puts Apple in front of the world 100%.

Admittedly, I'm not that target market for this phone (yet), but I love the dirction this is all going. And to those who think Apple is getting out of the computer business, perhaps you should change careers and become analysts. :p~~~~~

illegalprelude
Jan 10, 2007, 03:29 PM
OMG!!! Apple Computers Incorperated Trade Mark is now just Apple? I dont know anybody will realise what this company is now! I mean Im going to be looking for Apple Computers Incorperated stores and will only keep finding this weird Apple Incorperated store!

:rolleyes:

ksz
Jan 10, 2007, 03:36 PM
Thank you for this voice of reason!

2006 was quite possibly the Year of the Intel Mac. One new model every month for 7 months (as I recall from the keynote). iPods were given comparatively little lip service. The company's primary focus (along with a bunch of Intel engineers) was to migrate the Macintosh to the most impressive consumer processors, and the transition was completed ahead of schedule.

Roderick Usher
Jan 10, 2007, 03:41 PM

I'm just annoyed because "Apple Computer" sounded freaking cool.

sushi
Jan 10, 2007, 05:02 PM
What did Apple Computer call their retail stores since they were introduced?

Was it Apple Computer Store or Apple Store?

They've been using Apple for years now. Name recognition. As someone earlier said, Dell did the same thing. No reason to worry. Apple is still Apple and they make Macs with OS X. Only now, they make some other really cool gadgets such as the iPod, iPhone, etc. to enhance the Mac experience of seamless integration.

Mookamoo
Jan 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
I understand why people are getting frustrated with those of us who do not like the name change.

Perhaps I can best sum it up by explaining I have been an MAC user since 1990 and have fought their corner for years now, the trade off being I have had smart, innovative, computer products to enjoy. I felt a part of Apple Computers although we were a small PC market share, we were the best.

Then along came the iMac and everybody could enjoy MACs - fantastic. I felt in someway vindicated now the rest of the world have joined in.

Then came the iPod and iTunes - nice toys but nothing really to do with me.

Now comes Apple Inc. The iPhone and Apple TV. Apple Inc!! I've suddenly found myself part of a global giant, a share price grabbing consumer, a multi conglomerate who wants the world to use their products. I know Apple have always been these things but in someway the name change makes everything a bit more transparent. Apple is just another Microsoft and has been all these years, I've just been kidding myself that they and I were different.

crispoe
Jan 10, 2007, 06:02 PM
Apple OS X Leopard - Coming soon to a PC near you.

illegalprelude
Jan 10, 2007, 06:07 PM
Apple OS X Leopard - Coming soon to a PC near you.

:confused:

Next, an idiot is coming to a forum near you

pvteyes
Jan 11, 2007, 07:32 AM
Forget the iPhone, what news of the iSight (v2)?

MikeTheC
Jan 11, 2007, 11:17 AM
I know years ago, jobs stated he wanted Apple to become the "Sony of the computer industry", at this rate they will become the next Sony, now that the word computer has been dropped from the name....

I know you don't know me from Adam, but trust me in one thing:

As a former Sony employee, I am telling you: Apple becoming the "Sony of the Computer Industry" would be a very, very bad thing.

Maybe you do, and maybe you don't, but do you remember the condition that Apple (the company) was in when Steve Jobs took over in 1997? That is precisely the condition that Sony is in now: a total silo culture, one in which it is "a house divided" with different divisions vying against each other (instead of working with each other), big and power-mad and with a leadership that's in total disarray.

And not only that, but a huge megolith of a company which thinks they are the well-spring from which all good and creative and popular ideas flow; and that because a thing says "Sony" on it, it will automatically become the sought-after product in that space.

Additionally (and I swear I'm not kidding when I say this) but Sony still brags about itself, to this day, being the pioneer of Trinitron and the Walkman. Seriously; I'm not making this up.

So I'm telling you that Apple either becoming -- or desiring to become -- the next Sony is a horribly bad thing.

danny_w
Jan 11, 2007, 11:22 AM
I know you don't know me from Adam, but trust me in one thing:

As a former Sony employee, I am telling you: Apple becoming the "Sony of the Computer Industry" would be a very, very bad thing.

Maybe you do, and maybe you don't, but do you remember the condition that Apple (the company) was in when Steve Jobs took over in 1997? That is precisely the condition that Sony is in now: a total silo culture, one in which it is "a house divided" with different divisions vying against each other (instead of working with each other), big and power-mad and with a leadership that's in total disarray.

And not only that, but a huge megolith of a company which thinks they are the well-spring from which all good and creative and popular ideas flow; and that because a thing says "Sony" on it, it will automatically become the sought-after product in that space.

Additionally (and I swear I'm not kidding when I say this) but Sony still brags about itself, to this day, being the pioneer of Trinitron and the Walkman. Seriously; I'm not making this up.

So I'm telling you that Apple either becoming -- or desiring to become -- the next Sony is a horribly bad thing.
Thanks for that. Exactly what I said above but much better worded and expounded on.

MikeTheC
Jan 11, 2007, 11:24 AM
Also, don't forget the part about "making the hardware to run your own software".

Um, they already have. Witness the Intel motherboard-based Mac line-up.

I'm not saying that moving to x86 was evil or anything, but Apple doesn't make their own computers anymore. In fact, they haven't in a long, long time.

MalcolmJID
Jan 11, 2007, 07:18 PM
I hate to be really cool, but if you watch the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JKhtV-7BqY

You will see that in the credits is "Apple, Inc". This movie was made by me and my friends in November. Freaky?

No, it just makes me cool.

MikeTheC
Jan 11, 2007, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure how many people are going to either be inspired/influence or pissed off by this, but I suppose now is as good a time as any to try and explain my point of view and try my hand at prognostication.

No entity changes their name (normally) without good reason. At least, not as a rule anyhow. Women don't change their last names unless or until they get married. Guys don't change their names at all unless either there is some darn good (usually) family-related reason, or they (and/or women) go into, say, the Witness Protection Program.

Likewise, companies do not change their own names lightly, either.

And in either case, it's usually a signal that their focus has changed in some respect, however subtle or grand.

Something not to loose sight of (and this is essentially the crux of the issue for those of us disconcerted to some degree with the name modification) is that words mean things. I'm sorry, but I don't know how else to say it. And whether it's two days, two months, or two years down the road, the ramifications of this seemingly-slight change by Apple are going to become apparent.

I think it's the degree to which "bad stuff is going to happen" that defines the differences between the two groups posting here. Clearly, even if we were all of the same mind on this issue, it'd still get a mention. However, and just as clearly, we aren't all of the same mind; and some of us are obviously a bit more nervous about this than others.

Why is this? Could it be that some of us have been up-close-and-personal when subtle-yet-significant changes in our professional lives have taken place, we were there to see it, and later were there to deal with the eventuation of it, and yet there are others here who have not been? Perhaps. But I'd like to think that I'm not paranoid, nor are the lion's share of other MacRumors posters who think as I do that there's mischief afoot in Apple's name modification.

You see, I've been around long enough to come to understand one thing: the future will be what the future will be, and it doesn't matter one d*** bit whether anyone believes it or not. Commodore Computers failing in business, and filing for bankruptcy. KMart filing for bankruptcy, and then turning around and buying Sears. Sony spending six figures on a performance coach (Sue Beyer (http://www.suebeyer.com/)) only not quite a year later to outsource all the positions of the people whom she was there to coach into better performance. Germany signing a treaty of alliance with Russia, only to invade them at the earliest opportunity.

My point is that, grand or small, these things happen, and only those who sit there with blinders on and rose colored glasses who say "Oh, this is nothing to worry about. Everything's just fine." are later caught off guard and have their backs to the wall -- so to speak -- because they lacked the vision to know better.

I'm not writing this with any privileged insight into what Apple's -- or, frankly, Steve's -- next move is. None of us know it. But to see such simple-minded "situation normal" behavior when clearly things are not normal, and at a time when Apple is at a crossroads technologically and market-wise, is something that evokes strong emotions and requires a considerable amount of self-control not to spout off like some raving lunatic who thinks he's about to watch a great train wreck.

Steve is nobody's fool. He's obviously intent on catching up to Bill Gates in terms of power and prestige and surpassing him. And, if he's true to form, he'll do it with style and panache and (hopefully) a bevy of far-superior products. And heaven help the man or woman who stands in his way. The question is not so much one of whether Steve is trying to do this, but what will be jettisoned or cast off along the way which may just happen to be near and dear to our hearts.

All of us sitting here are fans of the Mac, whether we're all necessarily fans of Apple or fans of Steve Jobs, or even in agreement with my post or the posts of others here who have expressed their discontent. I think it's fair to say none of us want to see the Mac as a platform disappear from the face of the world. And I know at least some of us (myself included) don't want to see Microsoft allowed to gain any ground or have any advantage needlessly given up to them. I, for one, don't want to see Microsoft allowed to be left alone, so to speak, ever again with the crown jewels of technology. Yet, if Apple's company focus is taken off of their operating system and core apps, then I fear this is exactly what will happen. And whether others here have taken the time to really think through their emotions on this whole issue as I have, I'm certain this has to strike a chord with more than a few of you.

Apple needs to stay the course, to stay the in game, and when they do stuff like this, I fear they are in danger of losing the critical focus which keeps them in the game in the first place. A friend of mine (same one as I've referenced regarding the iPhone's lack of a real keyboard) told me he feels he'll know Apple is going down this path if or when he hears that Final Cut Pro and/or Aperture are being released for Windows. Perhaps that's true, but then again do we dare sit by idly and not care about those other events which would lead to such a knell?

Thoughts, folks?