PDA

View Full Version : Macworld Keynote 2007: Photo Gallery

MacRumors
Jan 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

We've posted high resolution versions of the images that were posted to the MacRumorsLive stream:

• Intro (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109151400.shtml)
• Apple TV (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109154031.shtml)
• iPhone 1 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109151458.shtml)
• iPhone 2 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109151517.shtml)
• iPhone 3 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109151540.shtml)
• Conclusion (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070109151612.shtml)

A transcript and keynote photos from our live coverage are still available (http://http://www.macrumors.com/events/mwsf2007.html/). We will be continuing to post more news/photos from Macworld.

Grimace
Jan 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for being awesome!! (Macrumors and Apple) :p

the keynote coverage was amazing. The best MR has done in my memory. the pics were really great too! I'm surprised you were allowed to take photos...

cxny
Jan 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
Very Cool, Thanks. I can't wait to watch the Keynote tonite, this was a big one!

illegalprelude
Jan 9, 2007, 03:07 PM
why do I not see the keynote anywhere to watch?

KindredMAC
Jan 9, 2007, 03:07 PM
Thank you guys sooooo much!
This year's COVERAGE rocked, even though the keynote tanked.

Arn- Do you guys need donations? For all your work and everything you guys provide us, you deserve help if you ever need it.

Thank you again!

The addition of pics was an awesome surprise this year! It made it so I didn't have to wait for Apple.com's traffic to die down just to see what was released.

Loge
Jan 9, 2007, 03:10 PM
Great coverage! Disappointing keynote.

illegalprelude
Jan 9, 2007, 03:11 PM

why can I not find the link to this keynote anywhere? I dont see it under Apple's site

sparks9
Jan 9, 2007, 03:19 PM
why can I not find the link to this keynote anywhere? I dont see it under Apple's site

not up yet

illegalprelude
Jan 9, 2007, 03:23 PM
not up yet

oh ok, about to say, I thought I was somehow missing it.

bigandy
Jan 9, 2007, 03:24 PM

it'll be a few hours yet, and will be hit so hard it won't be very easy to view all in one go for a day or three. :rolleyes:

Bob Knob
Jan 9, 2007, 03:25 PM

This is where it will be once it goes live:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/keynote/

CJD2112
Jan 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
The Keynote 2007 speech was great, and it pretty much was what I expected. However, no "Leopard" OS? Cinema Displays? No "but wait, there's something more"??? I was [somewhat] disappointed.

MatthewCobb
Jan 9, 2007, 03:31 PM

Great coverage, great keynote! Leopard is not everything!

Sabenth
Jan 9, 2007, 03:32 PM
Fantastic work guys yet again pics were great

Westside guy
Jan 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
VERY big news for specific groups... but I'm not a Cingular customer, and unless I can put streaming TV onto Apple TV I won't be buying one of those either. We'll see what El Gato does now.

I strongly suspect we'll be seeing wide-screen iPods in the reasonably near future. Apple doesn't like to step on its major announcements with "minor" ones. :)

Ha ze
Jan 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
i think with all the additions they made today, Paramount, AppleTV, and iPhone, a "one more thing" wasn't really needed

kitki83
Jan 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hmmm

Like the coverage. Being my first time viewing the Key Note I was disappointed because it was just one hour. I dont know if this event was the biggest or not. I thought they would talk about other thing, didnt they say more information would be revealed about new Mac OS X on San Francisco?

I think the hype got me thinking more from this, overall fun. The Apple TV is a great piece of device.

Multimedia
Jan 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
Unbelieveably elitist nonsense. :confused: :eek: :mad: :(

Two hours on January 9 to see what we could do on Cingular - a network many of us HATE and will never switch to - more than 6 months into the future for $600 + $2400 over a two year plan.

For $3k I'll buy another 8 core Mac Pro thank you very much.

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

I.E. our reality distortion field may be disrupted by your reality in 6 months.

dixiehacker
Jan 9, 2007, 03:48 PM

I agree completely. There were no Macrumors, only Applerumors. The keynote sucked arse. I really wanted to see some Leopard, or mac stuff. I hope this switch of emphasis doesn't comprimise the future of macs.

illegalprelude
Jan 9, 2007, 03:48 PM
it'll be a few hours yet, and will be hit so hard it won't be very easy to view all in one go for a day or three. :rolleyes:

yea, i figured if it was at 9am, by almost 2pm it would have been up :D

This is where it will be once it goes live:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/keynote/

ty for the link :cool:

Frisco
Jan 9, 2007, 03:57 PM
I just hope we're not as disappointed when we finally find out Leopard's "Top Secret" features.

Great job on the coverage today.

digitalbiker
Jan 9, 2007, 04:02 PM

I agree 100%. This was the worst keynote I can remember in the company history.

If Apple wants to tout a friggin phone, do it at CES like everyone else is doing this week.

MacWorld is for Macs. Besides this friggin phone is not available until June (6 months away!!). So you mean to tell me, Apple has nothing else, along the lines of new Mac Pros, Minis, Towers, iMacs, Leopard, iLife, iWork, FCP, etc. etc. nothing more mac related than a friggin phone to highlight.

What a bust! I am interested in computers and software not face grease and fingerprint collectors. GAWD!!

Cell coverage in my area doesn't reach the house. GAWD!!

I bought my first Apple computer in 1979 from APPLE COMPUTER. NOT APPLE INC.

Rocketman
Jan 9, 2007, 04:04 PM

Welcome to the NEW "Apple, Inc."

Macs wil see real news in March/April 2007 as we all know. I guess THAT will be the real Macworld :)

iPhone does indeed rock hard for its now niche market. How much will service really be? $60 a month?

Rocketman

lorien
Jan 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
Just want to say many thanks to Arn and the MacRumors team for excellent coverage of the keynote. You rock!!! :)

Pity the keynote had nothing to do with macs :(

slughead
Jan 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
I was getting sick of seeing "Macs" at the Macworld anyway.

No news on BluRay, no 8 core Mac Pro, no feature bumps on the iMacs or laptops...

No leopard news either.

Jobs said this was to be the best one ever? What the hell am I going to do with an overpriced telephone which only works on a ***** network (which I have to pay for 2 years)? Will it interface with my $300 Apple TV which doesn't even record shows? Outstanding.

At least the iPod's screen got brighter (pinch me, please, I'm doubled over in awe).

Great way to kick off 30 years: "WE HAVE STOPPED MAKING COMPUTERS! HELL, WE EVEN CHANGED NAMES."

Keep up the good work, Steve! Stretch that R&D budget even thinner!

lorien
Jan 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
Just want to say many thanks to Arn and the MacRumors team for excellent coverage of the keynote. You rock!!! :)

Pity the keynote had nothing to do with macs :(

mediababy
Jan 9, 2007, 04:20 PM
iphone is the right move for Apple (especially at that price & the look of the thing)

Elitist Cell phone buyers (Razr etc.,) love to be first walking around with that thing & starbucks.

Apple marketing 101. Get the rich to use it & poor people with low self esteem buy as a status symbol.

Old guys & geeks hate this no computer news, but they should be happy that this cell business is going to prop up Apple strong for their computer R&D

One thing Apple forgot I think *

How bad is that thing with the large glossy screen going to scratch in my pocket?

My friend has a small touchscreen Sony digicam & that thing already looks like a bad stragedy sic.

(Greasy fingerprints,scratches etc.,)

lol

Whistleway
Jan 9, 2007, 04:23 PM

No news on BluRay, no 8 core Mac Pro, no feature bumps on the iMacs or laptops...

No leopard news either.

Jobs said this was to be the best one ever? What the hell am I going to do with an overpriced telephone which only works on a ***** network (which I have to pay for 2 years)? Will it interface with my $300 Apple TV which doesn't even record shows? Outstanding.

At least the iPod's screen got brighter (pinch me, please, I'm doubled over in awe).

Great way to kick off 30 years: "WE HAVE STOPPED MAKING COMPUTERS! HELL, WE EVEN CHANGED NAMES."

great post. MR live coverage rocked.

theheadguy
Jan 9, 2007, 04:23 PM
I agree completely. There were no Macrumors, only Applerumors. The keynote sucked arse. I really wanted to see some Leopard, or mac stuff. I hope this switch of emphasis doesn't comprimise the future of macs.
I also agree. This was the least they could do. 802.11n? Not impressive, it was obviously time to upgrade. iPhone, yeah, an overpriced PDA. and the iTV = TV... something we already knew about.

Big whoop. Guess I hope next year will be something worth caring about.

Klut
Jan 9, 2007, 04:25 PM
Didn't Steve start the Keynote by saying: "Today will be all about the Mac" ?

bilbo--baggins
Jan 9, 2007, 04:25 PM
I wonder if Apple will launch more products tomorrow? Surely it's a bit stupid bringing out iLife 07 half way through the year. There seems to be a heck of a lot more stuff - mainly minor - that I was expecting to see. In particular Leopard. It would have made far more sense to cover all these things at MacWorld, and then do a special media event (or as suggested above, CES) for the iPhone.

One more thing... ;)

None of these products are available now. Surely Apple could come up with at least one product to make available at MacWorld?

Rocketman
Jan 9, 2007, 04:30 PM
From Macrumors live coverage:

"9:18 am we're only talking about the mac today"

Oops!

Rocketman

Much Ado
Jan 9, 2007, 04:37 PM
Pessimistic side of me:
No news on Macs, Computer dropped from the name- it all spells the end of Apple's reign with the Mac, and signals the beginning of a Gadget making company whose OS and computer line-up will fall behind the steadily improving competition. No new products for now, and ridiculous waiting for something that many can't affort. The real Mac users are being left behind. This is the end.

Optimistic side of me: The iPhone is a thing of beauty. It is truly magnificent. Look at it out of context for a second and forget MACworld- just see it for what it is. It's remarkable. Stunning.
Look back over the last year- Intel transition, 2G Nano and Shuffles, Movies on iTunes, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro...
Apple have not disappointed in their recent offerings. The iPhone is just a luxurious, revolutionary product that will tie in will an equally well designed Mac and OS line-up that Steve has all up his sleeve, and he's just waiting to unleash it all whenever he feels like it over the new year.

The Less Sensational Side Of Me: The iPhone is v1.0. That's one hell of a debut product in a new market. Has anyone ever entered a market with such a strong product made 'grounds-up' before? The baby's gonna rock.
If anyone knows the comapnys roots, it's Steve. He's got it all worked out. Sure, it's frustrating for us now, but in a year's time we will all look back and say "Damn, we had no idea what was going to happen in 2007."

Whether you tend to my optimistic or pessimistic side i don't know. But what i do know is that i have every faith that Apple wll continue to make amazing new products and keep every one of their users happy.

My iPod lives quite happily alongside my iMac running the oh-so-smooth Tiger. Why can't iPhone join the party too?

MA.

Superdrive
Jan 9, 2007, 04:38 PM

Oops!

Rocketman

That is because the Mac is going to follow the iPhone. This new interface could change computing the way we know it. How is a device that runs a version of OS X not Mac related? Also, do you really think there isn't more up Apple's sleeve for the next few weeks? I find it hard to believe this is all (Even though this is great).

nagromme
Jan 9, 2007, 04:48 PM
What the hell am I going to do with an overpriced telephone which only works on a ***** network (which I have to pay for 2 years)? Will it interface with my $300 Apple TV which doesn't even record shows? Outstanding.

It's possible (I don't have inside info, just speculating) that Apple will release other products this year in ADDITION to the one from today's keynote.

You may be right that Apple cannot focus attention on one product without canceling all others. On the other hand, Apple has a lot of money and a lot of talented people, so there's SOME hope that Apple still does intend to release Mac stuff too, maybe even this month, and are simply choosing a different way to make those announcements.

Sort of like giving the iPhone the spotlight at one event, and other things the spotlight at other times. Not sure if that makes any sense.

It's also possible that different people have different needs. And so Apple might release some products (iPhone) that other people want but you don't... and yet ALSO release other products you DO want. So whatever things you DO want, don't give up hope! Today was not the only day Apple could release them.

SkyBell
Jan 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
Wow, a lot of negitive comments.

The iPhone was actually all I expected. I didn't see Macs being updated til midyear anyway.

Besides, you guys got your widescreen iPod!

miketcool
Jan 9, 2007, 04:50 PM
Whaaaatever!

This is it folks, the future of computing. 200 patents produced this baby and it hints at all the new changes. Yeah its expensive, yeah it took Cingular to produce it. But give it a year and see the other tech Apple has to offer. This is the love child of everything going on in R&D currently. Expect to see big changes in Apples approach on things. This is HUGE. This is the future and this is NOW.

Apple is going to ride this publicity and show bigger and even better things going on in the rest of their company. Leopard was demonstrated today, don't you get it? Apple is famous for keeping consistent interfaces with their UI. You will find this functionality in another machine, mark my words. And its not released now, thats 6 months to get everyone begging, other contracts to negotiate. There is a reason for Google - Apple partnerships, Apple Inc. will provide their own service someday.

This is the most amazing achievement Apple has made tech-wise in years, and it is only the beginning. Did everyone forget Macworld's banner:
The first 30 years were only the beginning...

Koadoc
Jan 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
I was there, I waited in line for 3 hours to get to stand and see my first keynote. I think all of you are missing a key point of the iPhone. It is running Mac OS X. That in itself is huge, this opens up a new market for widgets and any other programs that people write for the this "computer" that also happens to make phone calls. I think of this thing a the Newton 2... I think to possibilities are endless with this thing.:cool:

The Toon Master
Jan 9, 2007, 04:55 PM
Hey, anone notice the picture of a Beatles album in iPhone 2 pics?

So lets see, Apple seems to be soon adding Paramount Movies and Beatles to iTunes soon..

berkleeboy210
Jan 9, 2007, 04:59 PM
The keynote is available for viewing on Apple.com now. they have the full version and just the iPhone introduction. I'll wait a while, the stream will probably be clogged up for a while.

Manuel Moreno
Jan 9, 2007, 05:03 PM

Oops!

Rocketman

i bet tath luxpro will make their own OS X and gadgets & then beat apple in the kneews 8^D :D

Kid Red
Jan 9, 2007, 05:07 PM
iPhone rocks. Cingular sucks. Oh well for me :(

iTV looks cool, will hold off on a DLO iPod dock and let this replace it. Still need to know if the iTunes movies will be HD. I don't like the 720p limit, it should be 1080i at least.

Multimedia
Jan 9, 2007, 05:08 PM

No leopard news either.

Keep up the good work, Steve! Stretch that R&D budget even thinner!Bravo & Ditto Slughead. You are so right on. :eek:

digitalbiker
Jan 9, 2007, 05:08 PM
It's possible (I don't have inside info, just speculating) that Apple will release other products this year in ADDITION to the one from today's keynote.

You may be right that Apple cannot focus attention on one product without canceling all others. On the other hand, Apple has a lot of money and a lot of talented people, so there's SOME hope that Apple still does intend to release Mac stuff too, maybe even this month, and are simply choosing a different way to make those announcements.

Sort of like giving the iPhone the spotlight at one event, and other things the spotlight at other times. Not sure if that makes any sense.

It's also possible that different people have different needs. And so Apple might release some products (iPhone) that other people want but you don't... and yet ALSO release other products you DO want. So whatever things you DO want, don't give up hope! Today was not the only day Apple could release them.

I hope you are right.

But MacWorld is for computers and software. This friggin phone doesn't come out until June. That's six months.

I realize that the Mac Pros, Mini's, MacBookPros, etc could be updated later. But the design of the line is getting stale. Most of these form factors have seen very little change in 5 years.

Out of all of the computer products and software Apple offers. They didn't deem one of them important enough to get a mention in a MacWorld keynote. Instead we see a friggin phone that won't even be out for six months.

filzhaus
Jan 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
I know the complete specifications are not yet released, where and when will Apple integrate GPS into their phone; hopefully a Garmin chipset...

vics43
Jan 9, 2007, 05:38 PM
Someone write this down... mark my words, this will be an historic year for Apple. I've been watching Steve and Apple from day one, and this is BIG, this is going to be one of those moments you will relate to your grandchildren in the future. "I was there when Apple brought the iPhone out... we didn't think much of it at the time, but look what it did to the Cell Phone...". I truly believe it's going to do the same thing to phones that iPod did to music...

Hang in there, Steve said something at the last MacWorld (or somewhere) that 2007 was going to see a record number of new things come to market and that we'd be blown away. I don't think we've seen anything yet, and Leopard and all those other things are in the wings waiting their 'turn'...

ampd
Jan 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
its always fun to look back on the forums to the comments made about the ipod when it was released...ahhh good laughs...

i think we will def. see a lot more positive commentary over the iphone as it wasnt something completely left field and unexpected as the ipod was at its time.

in time we will see how successful the iphone will be... ( i really did not mean to make that rhyme...)

joepunk
Jan 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks Arn and the MR's users who helped out. It was really wonderful live posting of the keynote and thanks for the inclusion of photos.

Maybe in a few years Arn will be doing this via his new phone :)

Earendil
Jan 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
Please think or research before you post. I understand not everyone has the time to know everything about a market. But can we not get pissed off and make blanket statements so long as you can admit that you don't know everything?

No leopard news either.

All desktops and servers were updated in Aug and Sept. The MacBook Pros were updated 77 days ago, the Macbooks 62. the iPods were also updated in [Sept. Wtf do you want? Did you want Apple to hold off on all those updated systems until MWSF just so you could have some Mac Products to go with your Keynote? AFAIK MWSF is about more than a keynote, in fact it's about more than Apple.

I dare you to never buy one. ever.
Every product has to start someplace. If the only way to bring the iPhone to the US market was to attach it to a carrier for a year or two, big deal. The US cell carriers are all POS because they are holding back cell tech here. Look at Europe and Japenese Cell markets, their phones blow away the cell models that the US carriers let into the market here.
I'm surprised ANY cell carrier picked up on the iPhone actually. the 30 second song ring tone is a multi billion dollar market. I don't have the figures in front of me, but I'm pretty sure more is made on ring tones that Apple makes in a year. To let a full fledged MP3 cell phone made by the number one MP3 maker is unbelievable in my book.

Incredible way to kick it off. Not only have all comuters made the switch to Intel, and we are intering the year with generally brand new computers (new in the last 5 months), but our beloved company has officially entered into two new high profit, high profile, tech expanding markets. Their first go may not be spectacular, or within my budget, but the future of the cell phone is the future of computers. I can see past my own means. Home entertainment is the future of our lives.
You may not be able to aford a Porshe, or even like them, but its the technology that goes into these high end specielty cars that makes it down to the consumer's every day use. (If you want a better example than porshe see the the electric car by the company "Tesla").

Your most genious statement yet. the iPod rakes in more money, and is (I'm just guessing here) far cheaper as far as R&D goes than the Apple laptops and desktops. So, logic says that if ANYTHING, Apple's other products are providing the computer department with more R&D revenue. If you really want to drop a profit sucker, get rid of OSX, I'm sure they don't make up the R&D cost on that product :rolleyes:
Simple put"
iPod profit = large
iPod R%D = small
Macs profit: medium
Macs R&D medium to large
OSX profit: small
OSX R&D: large

But Apple and all its products are done by a single company, that can distrubute resources. I'm pretty sure no profit from the Macs is going into iPod R%D< not at this point at least...

crazytom
Jan 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
I must be getting old. I read the news and said, "Big deal."

I have a phone, I can call any person in the world who also has a phone. How did Apple re-invent it? By sticking OS X on it? If I wanted a computer with me all the time, I'd want a bigger screen and a keyboard...I think it's called a laptop. The iPhone coolness factor is there, I'd only get one if I had a bunch of money burning a whole in my pocket or had such low self esteem that I felt I needed to impress someone.

And the Apple TV? What's so great about that? I could just get a video card with a TV out or something similar and have pretty much the same functionality, not to mention gobs more storage space. Now, if Apple TV could record like a TiVo, without the subscription, you'd have something worth the money.

I agree with everyone that said this expo should have been about COMPUTERS and SOFTWARE. I just don't see why Apple is trying to squeeze overpriced gadgets into an already crowded market...they must have more money than they know what to do with.

twoodcc
Jan 9, 2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for being awesome!! (Macrumors and Apple) :p

the keynote coverage was amazing. The best MR has done in my memory. the pics were really great too! I'm surprised you were allowed to take photos...

yeah i agree....very cool....thanks macrumors and apple!

:)

macworldsf2007
Jan 9, 2007, 06:25 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/macworld_sf_07/

:)

phungy
Jan 9, 2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the links!

avalys
Jan 9, 2007, 06:32 PM
I can't believe you people. First off, the iPhone is absolutely amazing.

Second, Macworld is for Mac software developers. The iPhone is a new platform for which they can develop software, and a new market in which they can sell it. Not to mention a new market for accessories - can you say GPS? It makes perfect sense to spend this much time on it, and to announce it at Macworld - it seems pretty clear to me that it is going to be even more revolutionary than the iPod.

Macworld is not for consumers. What would be the point of wasting time in the Keynote on announcing some new displays, or an 8-core Mac Pro? "Hey guys, check this out, we dropped a new chip in here, isn't it cool?" They can do that whenever they want.

Eriden
Jan 9, 2007, 06:39 PM
Oh shutup. Honestly.

Your most genious statement yet. the iPod rakes in more money, and is (I'm just guessing here) far cheaper as far as R&D goes than the Apple laptops and desktops. So, logic says that if ANYTHING, Apple's other products are providing the computer department with more R&D revenue. If you really want to drop a profit sucker, get rid of OSX, I'm sure they don't make up the R&D cost on that product :rolleyes:

Before you go lamenting the lack of intelligence in someone else, please ensure that you yourself have an appropriate level of genius to take that person to task.

The iPhone is a great looking gadget with a lot of great features which is 1) rather overpriced and 2) quite useless to what I would imagine is a majority of Apple's current fanbase (i.e., those of us who HATE Cingular or are currently locked into a contract with another carrier.).

The iPhone would be at just the right price if the $499-$599 tags were without a two year contract. Multimedia et. al make excellent points that the true cost of the iPhone is $599 plus the cost of the two year contract. With Cingular, the minimum acceptable plan for most average people is between $40 and $60 per month. It is an additional $20 per month for unlimited data (which will practically be a requirement to take full advantage of everything the iPhone offers). So let's do the math. Assuming a $60 per month basic plan plus the $20 per month unlimited data addition, we have $80 per month times 12 months in a year, times two years. (80 x 12 x 2 = 1920). That would make the final cost of the iPhone $2519 (599 + 1920). Far too expensive for many of us, even with the cost of the plan spread out over two years. The real bottom line is that Apple should have let Cingular really subsidize the iPhone.

And to dash the hopes of those who believe that Apple might soon release an unlocked version of this phone stateside, remember that when the Cingular CEO took the stage, he announced a multi-year exclusivity deal with Apple. Macrumors kiddies should remember that Multi means more than one. In fact, it means at least two! So the earliest that the United States might possibly see a future revision of the iPhone unlocked for other networks would be the beginning of 2009.

I guess that anyone brave enough to try importing will have to hope that the European version is unlocked. Of course, Steve-O might simply be using Cingular to gauge the potential popularity of the iPhone, and if interest by other networks seems big enough, he could break the exclusivity contract and just let the Apple and Cingular lawyers battle it out in Federal Court.

Here's to hoping!

MrHefner
Jan 9, 2007, 06:40 PM
Second, Macworld is for Mac software developers.

Hmmm and i tought WWDC was for developers.
Ooh darn! :)

donniedarko
Jan 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
Someone will be able to unlock them.

Just like every other GSM phone. Ive bought phones in Europe, unlocked. Dont know what the big deal is....

I think this is a big leap in integration. Someone said this is the future, I agree. OS X on my cell?! Will be interesting.

The touch screen I am eager to see.

As for the total cost. Well bottom line is anyone living in the comtemporary world already is committed to a contract, and if not is commited to assuming cell service. The data extra I wont have but the cost for cell service I dont consider extra as I need it.

I have cingular, and find the service no better or wore then the others here where I live. T-Mobile I thought then had better coverage. Truth is they all suck.

If anything I believe the software on the phone and its potential are way more then most people will use, but as we all do we will assimilate and eventually want more.

My birthday is in June.... how apropos. :)

Before you go lamenting the lack of intelligence in someone else, please ensure that you yourself have an appropriate level of genius to take that person to task.

The iPhone is a great looking gadget with a lot of great features which is 1) rather overpriced and 2) quite useless to what I would imagine is a majority of Apple's current fanbase (i.e., those of us who HATE Cingular or are currently locked into a contract with another carrier.).

The iPhone would be at just the right price if the $499-$599 tags were without a two year contract. Multimedia et. al make excellent points that the true cost of the iPhone is $599 plus the cost of the two year contract. With Cingular, the minimum acceptable plan for most average people is between $40 and $60 per month. It is an additional $20 per month for unlimited data (which will practically be a requirement to take full advantage of everything the iPhone offers). So let's do the math. Assuming a $60 per month basic plan plus the $20 per month unlimited data addition, we have $80 per month times 12 months in a year, times two years. (80 x 12 x 2 = 1920). That would make the final cost of the iPhone $2519 (599 + 1920). Far too expensive for many of us, even with the cost of the plan spread out over two years. The real bottom line is that Apple should have let Cingular really subsidize the iPhone.

And to dash the hopes of those who believe that Apple might soon release an unlocked version of this phone stateside, remember that when the Cingular CEO took the stage, he announced a multi-year exclusivity deal with Apple. Macrumors kiddies should remember that Multi means more than one. In fact, it means at least two! So the earliest that the United States might possibly see a future revision of the iPhone unlocked for other networks would be the beginning of 2009.

I guess that anyone brave enough to try importing will have to hope that the European version is unlocked. Of course, Steve-O might simply be using Cingular to gauge the potential popularity of the iPhone, and if interest by other networks seems big enough, he could break the exclusivity contract and just let the Apple and Cingular lawyers battle it out in Federal Court.

Here's to hoping!

CrazyWingman
Jan 9, 2007, 06:55 PM
Here's what I'd like to know:

What was with the wood grain texture on the graphs?

I know it's an option in Keynote, but it just looked so weird up their on a stage where every thing else was black, white, metal, or glossy-translucent. It seemed really awkward to me. Anyone else?

ShermDog
Jan 9, 2007, 06:56 PM
Best Keynote coverage to date! The pictures were a great addition to the usual text updates.

scott523
Jan 9, 2007, 07:12 PM
Wow, a lot of negitive comments.

The iPhone was actually all I expected. I didn't see Macs being updated til midyear anyway.

Besides, you guys got your widescreen iPod!
It's because Steve Jobs devoted like 1hr+ of the keynote with the iPhone when he never even mentioned the iWork/iLife '07 anywere. I too didn't like the keynote, there was so much hype over just two new products when there could've been more.

GoCubsGo
Jan 9, 2007, 07:16 PM
I wished for more but happy to see the iTV. I plan on buying one now that I do not need to worry about the phone. I wish Leopard had been released.

digitalbiker
Jan 9, 2007, 07:55 PM
It's because Steve Jobs devoted like 1hr+ of the keynote with the iPhone when he never even mentioned the iWork/iLife '07 anywere. I too didn't like the keynote, there was so much hype over just two new products when there could've been more.

I guess I voted negative not because I didn't like the phone or think that it wasn't a quantum leap forward that sets the bar at a new level. That I expected from Apple.

I voted negative because it was a two hour event for 10 minutes of 1 product and 1:50 on a second.

We wait a year for a glimpse of what to expect from Apple for the coming year and the event is dominated by two products. On top of that, we have to wait 6 months before the phone is even available.

So what about new displays, re-designed macbookpros, mini towers, mini modifications, mac pro future, Leopard, iLife, new software, etc.

Usually the keynote sets the tone for the whole year. Are we to expect only two new products for the entire year which most people can't get or utilize until 2008.

Jan 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
Hey, anone notice the picture of a Beatles album in iPhone 2 pics?

So lets see, Apple seems to be soon adding Paramount Movies and Beatles to iTunes soon..

Excellent observation!

All I have to add to this discussion is that I hope Japan isn't considered "Asia" when it comes to iPhone availability (because I would like one) . . .

. . . and that, having just bought a C2D Macbook Pro, I'm kind of glad for super-selfish reasons that they didn't announce any new Macs. :D

slughead
Jan 9, 2007, 09:24 PM

Good call. The lack of any mac news had me really pissed.

So much so, in fact, that I forgot to mention Macrumors' great coverage!

Thanks MR, you rock!

Jan 9, 2007, 09:47 PM
Wow, I can't believe how shortsighted and out of touch some Macrumors members are who have posted in this thread. Oh well, the rest of us will move on without you, we'll be sure to wave as we pass you by.

HINT:

This phone is the equivalent of what the Mac was in 1984.

ElderBrE
Jan 9, 2007, 10:18 PM
Many of you are quite short-sighted, it appears. Props to Jobs once again, that thing may change the way portability and computers work together drastically.

Great coverage by the way.

davehutton
Jan 9, 2007, 11:51 PM
If there is one thing that I know...is that people hate macs. In a kind of I cant explain it sort of way. Its wierd. So I think it was very smart for them to release something that will undoubtedly dominate the cell phone market regardless of whose network its on. And when people play with there phone long enough...they will see what "the mac" experience is about. So the next time they wander into there local mac store theyll have less of a guard up about it. Just my take on the whole situation. I know the market share of phones has little to do with the market share of computers, but in apples case i think it does in a big way. Look at how many new users there were in 06...50% of those who bought macs according to jobs. Cant you relate that to ipod? Imagine what those numbers would look like with no ipod...Its like this...hey! i like this product...ill try there notebooks...and then they like there notebooks and tell there friends how much they love there new mac. Apple is going to do big things in the next five years. Big things.

DrEasy
Jan 10, 2007, 02:42 AM
How can you guys say that the keynote did not talk about Mac hardware and software? Don't be fooled by the name; the iPhone, and even the Apple TV to some extent, are all about being a Mac! The iPhone is running OS X (or a reasonably big subset of it), it's not a toy or an iPod, it's truly an all-purpose device.

It's got a revolutionary user interface, not only for its touch-sensitive interface and display (aren't you guys dreaming of something like this replacing your regular PC or laptop monitor?), but also through the use of motion-sensing and other trickery that make it an almost sentient machine. That's a fantastic example of great hardware-software integration.

Yes, the iPhone is an expensive device that I'll probably never buy, but this device might have defined the new specs for personal computing. The New Mac, basically.

Maybe if the devices had been called MacPhone and MacTV you would have been happier?

slughead
Jan 11, 2007, 02:00 PM
Maybe if the devices had been called MacPhone and MacTV you would have been happier?

If that Cisco lawsuit pans out, that may not be far from the outcome :)

Earendil
Jan 11, 2007, 02:32 PM

That's a great reply to my post. Well thought out and you made good comments and responses to all of my points. Wait, no you didn't, you pointed out a typo. Pat yourself on the back.

The rest of you post, while having little to do with mine in any sort of direct response context, it is accurate, if not a little too negative for me. But that's my opinion, and nothing that can really be argued.

I'll leave you with a few things that everyone can learn from.

Genius
1. an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart.
2. a person having such capacity.
3. a person having an extraordinarily high intelligence rating on a psychological test, as an IQ above 140.

Typographical Error
1. an error in printed or typewritten matter resulting from striking the improper key of a keyboard, from mechanical failure, or the like.

Ignorance
–noun
1. the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.
2. the condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

That said, I would never claim my genius is in the english language. It lies more in computer science and technology fields.
Have a nice day :)

MikeTheC
Jan 11, 2007, 02:45 PM
Meh. Thought the keynote sucked, myself.

Wanted to see something (like, say, a release!) on Leopard. Didn't happen.

Wanted to see new models of laptop and desktop. Didn't happen.

Wouldn't have minded if there had been a new model of iPod. Didn't happen.

AppleTV was slightly interesting; but it's missing too many capabilities for most people to be interested in (except for Apple/Steve fanboys). Also lacks any analog connections, so it's unusable by me personally.

Not interested in the product now known as the iPhone. Costs too much for me, doesn't deliver what I'm interested in, and gives me too much of what I don't care about.

So, as I said: Meh.