Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
In USA on Cingular the Palm Treo 750 Smartphone is $499 with 2 yr contract (before $100 mail in rebate)

in UK on Vodafone the Palm Treo 750 Smartphone is FREE with 18month contract.

Lets hope we get the same deal with the iPhone!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
for one thing - o2 will not be able to put there crappy software all over it and slow it down ;) it will be sold sim free on the apple store UK and over priced on the networks - do you really think Nokia and Moto are going to take this sitting down? :D

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
In USA on Cingular the Palm Treo 750 Smartphone is $499 with 2 yr contract (before $100 mail in rebate)

in UK on Vodafone the Palm Treo 750 Smartphone is FREE with 18month contract.

Lets hope we get the same deal with the iPhone!

damn.. if its free on contract, you can bet your life it'll be the most popular fone ever.. and all the chavs will have them too :mad:

for one thing - o2 will not be able to put there crappy software all over it and slow it down ;) it will be sold sim free on the apple store UK and over priced on the networks - do you really think Nokia and Moto are going to take this sitting down? :D

hell no.. they will release their respective iphone killers before q4 2007!! lol.. obviously wont do as well.. hehe

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
damn.. if its free on contract, you can bet your life it'll be the most popular fone ever.. and all the chavs will have them too :mad:

i think putting it free on contract is very unlikely.... there will be other imitaters from companies by the time the iphone is released. THEY might be free but heres hoping the iphone will at least cost something to put it out of reach of the chavs:)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i think putting it free on contract is very unlikely.... there will be other imitaters from companies by the time the iphone is released. THEY might be free but heres hoping the iphone will at least cost something to put it out of reach of the chavs:)

Yes out of reach of the Chavs - i reakon £299- £379 UK price for the 4Gb and £399-449 for the 8Gb

these are going to be the robbers hot theft at x-mas 07 mind:D

Case-sensitive

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
It's entirely possible - especially considering Vodaphone's disaster last year. I switched from Orange in October and they couldn't do enough for me.

Applespider

macrumors G4
for one thing - o2 will not be able to put there crappy software all over it and slow it down ;)

If you think O2's software is bad, you should try some of the others. I'm with O2 simply because they have the least intrusive software. I left Orange after they took functionality away just to make a button point to their site irrevocably when there was already one on the side that did so.

I'm guessing a reasonably high upgrade price £150 plus contract since the phone companies are becoming less keen on 12-month subsidised deals.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
It's entirely possible - especially considering Vodaphone's disaster last year. I switched from Orange in October and they couldn't do enough for me.

Not sure what you mean by VF disaster but I switched to them to get the SLVR in silver. Wish I hadnt now because my bills are nearly twice as much as my T-Mobile ones, the fone is too fiddly, the speaker works when it wants and it shuts off on its own.

My next phone depends on what carrier the iPhone goes with. If its unlocked - which I doubt as a lot of the functions may not work on different networks - I would go with T-Mobile as they were great.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
I'd of thought the first question is which networks it will be on. I can't see Apple only selling it direct as they'd lose too many sales, no one sells phones direct in the UK. There is also the question of whether the iPhone will work on all the UK networks and if all the features would be supported.

Provided it is sold through one or more networks (and I'm sure it will be) there is no reason for it to not be available at the same price as similar phones (ones that cost the networks the same). Which should mean that on a 18 month £40 tariff you'll be getting it for free.

I wouldn't go too much by the prices in the USA as the mobile market is a lot different there than it is in the UK.

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
i never noticed :D sod em i don't care too much for vodafone Orange is ok but i bit crap signal out in the sticks

I've stuck with O2 as i end up going to lots of obscure places where it is usually the only one which can get any signal

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
yes - only because i don't think the networks will want to carry it over a much cheaper sweeter deal form Nokia/Moto/Samsung

I think its more likely they'll be fighting each other to get an exclusive as they won't want to run the risk of losing market share if the iPhone is as popular as its likely to be.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I think its more likely they'll be fighting each other to get an exclusive as they won't want to run the risk of losing market share if the iPhone is as popular as its likely to be.

you have a point - so the question is - how much would we all be prepared to pay for it ?

lowest £199 on contract
Highest £349 on contract

Apple has done a double whammy on this- say a new no mac user get's one

buy Apple phone
use Apple Phone
love Apple Phone
buys a Mac
:cool:

if only it was that simple

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
reason why a chav wudnt have one?
- chavs cant read. lol, its a well known fact, its why they like shuffles
- although the benefits they live off are hefty, the price tag is like 5 vans they would have to rob
- as if the speaker is guna be loud enough to walk around in public blasting poor quality undistinguishable d'n'b on, knowing apple it will be subtle but pitch perfect
- didnt you know to be a chav u have to own a sony walkman ripoff phone, its like unwritten code
- they wudnt understand how to use it! theyve only just mastered dressing themselves in pajamas, never mind a multi touch screen

im sure apple will release a chav-friendly iPhone in due time, like they did with the shuffle 1st gen, get rid of flashy features, back to basic and sell it for peanuts, the devalued iPhone would be a new icon for the chav masses that swarm around council estates in our great country. (for any americans chav essentially means w*nker lol)

p.s. if your a chav i do NOT apologise for what i sed and i did mean offence.....scum:D

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
so you think that basically it should cost nearly twice as much as in would in the States?

Yes. Its the UK we are talking about here.

Did anyone hear today about us possibly being charged to have our bins emptied even though we pay council tax? Oh and dont forget paying road tax per mile driven while also paying an annual fixed rate too.

Congestion charges *cough cough*

Dont come to the UK its ****.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
i cant wait to get away from Orange, they are the absolute worst for messing with phones and have the worst software on the handsets that uses so much valuable space just to put there poxy 2d icons and stupid orange buttons onto...

i loved my p990i until this afternoon...

isnt is strange how your top end Smartphone becomes a relic after 2 weeks...

could say that about my iMac as well...:eek:

My best guess, is that it will be TMobile in the UK. Cingular hyave done deals with TMobile before....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.