PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Announces Mac Office 2008

MacRumors
Jan 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Microsoft announced today Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-09MacworldPR.mspx). While not scheduled to ship until the second half of 2007, the company overviewed some of the major new features.

Office 2008 will share the same graphics engine as Office for Windows, and include Office Art 2.0. Office 2008 will also gain new interface features from Office for Windows 2007 like the Ribbon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2007#The_Ribbon).

Also mentioned are new Mac-only features such as a Publishing Layout View that will allow Word users to create layout-rich documents (newsletters, fliers, and brochures), Ledger Sheets in Excel, and "My Day" priority tracking in Entourage.

Office 2008 will use Microsoft's new Open XML format, and Microsoft has pledged to provide beta file format converters for users of Office 2004 by Spring 2008. Also, Office 2008 will be the first version of Office to be a Universal Binary.

Microsft has not yet released pricing information, however current versions range from $149 for the Student and Teacher Edition to $399 for the Standard Edition (Professional Edition is likely to be discontinued with the next version of Office since Microsoft's decision to stop developing VirtualPC for Mac (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060807190057.shtml)).

[ Digg This (http://www.digg.com/apple/Microsoft_Announces_Mac_Office_2008) ]

Machead III
Jan 9, 2007, 05:02 PM
2nd half 2007? That's still before the majority of the planet get's the iPhone.

miketcool
Jan 9, 2007, 05:05 PM
It was about time for them to announce the delayed introduction date of software. Thank goodness Office 2008 for Mac is the only thing Redmond is late on.

buddhagoth
Jan 9, 2007, 05:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

... and Microsoft has pledged to provide beta file format converters for users of Office 2004 by Spring 2004.

By 2004, eh? That sounds about right for Microsoft Mac product development. :D

Cordially,
Buddhagoth

willybNL
Jan 9, 2007, 05:07 PM
"Office 2008 will use Microsoft's new Open XML format, and Microsoft has pledged to provide beta file format converters for users of Office 2004 by Spring 2004."

Damn... they are fast... They already go back in time to deliver file format converters...

:) typo :P

JohnHummel
Jan 9, 2007, 05:07 PM
So does this mean that Entourage will finally have *full* Exchange compatibility - or that crappy, uh, crap that half works right unless you turn on LDAP and Web and other things to get it almost feeling like the OS 9 Outlook 2001 client?

stephenmckeague
Jan 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
Any chance of Access being included in this??

vendettabass
Jan 9, 2007, 05:13 PM
as far as I'm concerned, as long as its UB, its some of the best news today!

kroko
Jan 9, 2007, 05:15 PM
steal it. or use neo.

avkills
Jan 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
Very weak. They should have been announcing AND shipping it today. But then again, maybe the MBU hasn't a clue how to code for x86. ;) And we certainly do not want the normal M$ code monkeys doing it.

-mark

cal6n
Jan 9, 2007, 05:17 PM
It's a sad, sad day when Micro$oft's Macworld announcement is more exciting than Apple's!

Frisco
Jan 9, 2007, 05:19 PM

Not a chance.

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 05:19 PM

No, per the agreement with Apple, made long ago but it should fully support FileMaker still.

amoda
Jan 9, 2007, 05:20 PM
It's a sad, sad day when Micro$oft's Macworld announcement is more exciting than Apple's!

umm...you didn't find the iPhone exciting? I soiled my paints after looking at those pictures.

Bengt77
Jan 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
Darn, right when I was going to write a really witty reply about those file converters, 2004 and some archived news items on the Mac Topia site, I see that at least two people have beaten me to it. Darn you all!

:D

scott523
Jan 9, 2007, 05:25 PM
This news is an embarrassment to Microsoft. Before they said Office 2007 where everyone saw 2008 on the horizon long before Microsoft announce it today. :mad:

cal6n
Jan 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
umm...you didn't find the iPhone exciting? I soiled my paints after looking at those pictures.

I was excited initially but:

Vapourware until Q4 over here
Only 8 Gig?
Err, that's all

Actually the phone is pretty cool and I do want one but that's way in the future...

but then, so is office 2008...

whatever...

Object-X
Jan 9, 2007, 05:30 PM

No chance. Forget about it; there is no way they are going to convert that ancient engine for the Mac. They can't even get Word and Excel out the door. Use Parallels or try FileMaker.

NewSc2
Jan 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
I was excited initially but:

Vapourware until Q4 over here
Only 8 Gig?
Err, that's all

Actually the phone is pretty cool and I do want one but that's way in the future...

but then, so is office 2008...

whatever...

There's a difference between "Vaporware" and being available in another country (U.S.), with actual shipping dates for the rest of the world. I'm with you on the 8gig, but the iPhone is a momentous new product that will change iPods, PDAs, and cell phones. Office 2008 is just an update.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
I just have to say: Sorry MS, I've found a nice and free alternative (http://www.neooffice.org/) which even has announced OpenXML Documents and VBA Macros support already in Q1 2007. ;)

Maxwell Smart
Jan 9, 2007, 05:38 PM
Finally, I can't wait for some Office universal....

Spanky Deluxe
Jan 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
For once I've found a Microsoft announcement more important to me than the Apple one!!

themacthinker
Jan 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
I would say that this is a good news. I don't know if we can trust that Microsoft redesign of office will follow the mac graphic guidelines and efficiency but let's keep our fingers crossed.

Porchland
Jan 9, 2007, 05:52 PM
So does this mean that Entourage will finally have *full* Exchange compatibility - or that crappy, uh, crap that half works right unless you turn on LDAP and Web and other things to get it almost feeling like the OS 9 Outlook 2001 client?

Poor integration with Exchange is one of the two reasons I don't use my Mac as my primary work computer, so I would really like to see this improved.

The other: WordPerfect (which I ABHOR having to use).

jacg
Jan 9, 2007, 05:54 PM
By 2004, eh? That sounds about right for Microsoft Mac product development. :D

I think they meant 3004

KindredMAC
Jan 9, 2007, 05:57 PM
Kinda useless now with NeoOffice and all.

I've been running Neo Office for the last 2 years or so and the latest Aqua Beta they are running has yet to crash on me once.

I use Spreadsheet and Word Processor and have never had any issues with a Mac or PC running M$ Office opening a file that was made in NeoOffice.

BillyShears
Jan 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
Office 2008 will also gain new interface features from Office for Windows 2007 like the Ribbon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2007#The_Ribbon).

I wonder how this will work on a Mac. Look at the interface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2007#The_Ribbon). It appears each "menu" item is actually a tab that reveals some controls.

This would work fine on Windows, because they just "remove" the standard menu bar, but on Mac OS X there is always a menu bar present.

Would this integrate into the OS X menu bar, meaning each set of controls pops down from it? This would almost certainly break OS X guidelines.

On the other hand, if they put the ribbons in a floating toolbar, the OS X menu bar would be completely empty!

Anyone with more insight into how "Ribbons" work care to explain?

macEfan
Jan 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
I hope they improve powerpoint for mac...

for me, it lacks a lot of features that the windows version has...

Microsoft word, and excel seem to be decent enough... I like work's look and feel a lot more than the windows version!

BillyShears
Jan 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
It's definitely useful, and good news. Some people/businesses won't use NeoOffice simply because of the potential for document incompatibility. For some tasks, it may work great. But the one time when it screws up would be troublesome.

If someone is pitching Macs to a company, they can say, "Not only is it compatible with Office, it runs Office!"

mkrishnan
Jan 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
For those of us not satisfied with MS Office, this seems like a generally good announcement. For everyone else, what do you care if someone updates an app you don't plan on using? :p And of course no one has to upgrade from 2004 anyway. It's not like the corporate world is going to be using either Vista or Office 07/08 anytime soon. So in short, the uptake is another show of confidence in the MacBU by MS.

bigwig
Jan 9, 2007, 06:07 PM
I like NeoOffice, but it can be real slow at times, especially on redraws.

sushi
Jan 9, 2007, 06:12 PM
Nope. Access is not unicode friendly nor is it easy to port. Plus Access is not a good database. The only reason for it's success so far, IMHO, is that it has been tied to Office Professional which is what the Government and DoD purchase. And since it is very difficult for Government and DoD personnel to purchase a different database this has become the defacto standard...unfortunately.

FWIW, in Japan, Microsoft markets office this way:
- Personal: Word and Excel.
- Professional: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

I sure wish that some upstart would create and office suite that would run and look identical on all three platforms; Windows, Mac and Linux. One purchase would include multiple licenses and versions on a DVD. Easy to market. Complete file level compatibility! Oh well. Guess I might as well quit dreaming! ;)

pale9
Jan 9, 2007, 06:12 PM

i think the feeling is 'where's the software'? nothing new about leopard, iwork, ilife....

FoxyKaye
Jan 9, 2007, 06:19 PM
Office 2008 will share the same graphics engine as Office for Windows...

Wow, now that's a selling point. :rolleyes: Will it crash just like the Windows version does, too?

Honestly though, the open XML is just another way M$ is going to force everyone to upgrade, regardless of it supposedly being "open source."

Sorry to be so cynical, but it's just pathetic what bloatware Office has become.

twoodcc
Jan 9, 2007, 06:24 PM

that would be nice!

and i think i read somewhere about the file converter beta being released this coming spring?

scottlinux
Jan 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
Openoffice.org 2.1 is available NOW for intel and ppc.

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/x11-104.html

It runs in X11. But starts in about 2 seconds. It's a nice improvement over the previous release with speed. Drag/drop install to your applications folder. On initial start, it picks up all of your OS X fonts, etc. and you are ready to go.

OO.o folks are planing on making a native port for OS X, it looks like:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/faq/aqua-prerelease/index.html

------

Openoffice/Neooffice is very good. I did my entire master's thesis from beginning to the end (making pdfs from openoffice to take to the binding company) in Openoffice. It can do very complicated charts and such very nicely. I can understand where some companies and law offices may need some particular advanced features of MS Word, but for 99% of the rest of the world, openoffice or neooffice is more than adequate.

ShermDog
Jan 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
I hope they improve powerpoint for mac...

I agree. I'm often forced to use PowerPoint when giving a lecture, and sometimes graphics and movies don't transfer well between the Windows and Mac versions. The graphics in the last PPT presentation I used (that was created on a PC) were replaced with a big red "X" when I tried to open them in the Mac version--these were simple jpeg files!

Grimace
Jan 9, 2007, 07:04 PM
I actually like Word. Excel is a necessary evil (until someone makes something better...) and Powerpoint is garbage.

I'll buy, just don't make it as buggy as MSO2004

backdraft
Jan 9, 2007, 07:58 PM
I hate the ribbon, its a moving target.

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 08:10 PM
Office 2008 will share the same graphics engine as Office for Windows...

Wow, now that's a selling point. :rolleyes: Will it crash just like the Windows version does, too?

Honestly though, the open XML is just another way M$ is going to force everyone to upgrade, regardless of it supposedly being "open source."

Sorry to be so cynical, but it's just pathetic what bloatware Office has become.

It does look a bit better, though I wasn't impressed with IE version 7 when I used it on WinXP. If the interface is as confusing with buttons scattered about the window, I'd be thinking that Macromedia knew more user interfaces and integration than Microsoft.

If it works better and makes people more productive, all the better, but the Page Layout View make give Pages some competition.

mkrishnan
Jan 9, 2007, 08:11 PM
I hate the ribbon, its a moving target.

In Office:Win 2007, you can go back to the previous interface style, right? I hope so in Office:Mac also... I like the palettes much better than the past Windows interfaces, and I also do not like the ribbon. But usually MS lets you keep the old interface when they create a new, irritating interface. ;)

reubs
Jan 9, 2007, 08:16 PM

My thoughts, too. Glad to see someone offer something like this since
iWork 07 seems to be, um, nowhere on the horizon.

soosy
Jan 9, 2007, 08:22 PM
Why do they still think we want "Mac first, Mac only features"????

I'd much rather they give us feature parity with the Windows version. For starters, a real Exchange client would be nice.

benthewraith
Jan 9, 2007, 08:24 PM
My thoughts, too. Glad to see someone offer something like this since
iWork 07 seems to be, um, nowhere on the horizon.

Actually, we don't know that. I watched the keynote, and after getting fed up with Steve talking about the phone, closed out. He did mention Mac and software upgrades coming about in the later weeks, so...

weev
Jan 9, 2007, 08:36 PM
Micro.. WHO?

benthewraith
Jan 9, 2007, 09:07 PM
Micro.. WHO?

Microsoft, they're this small (hence the prefix micro) company located in Redmond, Washington that makes a computer operating system for x86 computers that have become the most popular.

Jeonat
Jan 9, 2007, 09:12 PM
This is the best piece of news today, no contest.

I think MS Office 2004 is an excellent piece of software, better than the Windows version in some cases (although in the case of Entourage - definitely not!) But a UB and a hopeful long awaited update to Entourage to make it more compatible with Exchange servers will make it great :)

Thanks, MS. I'll definitely upgrade.

islanders
Jan 9, 2007, 09:24 PM
For once I've found a Microsoft announcement more important to me than the Apple one!!

Speak for yourself.

The iPhone made headline news around the world, about twenty minutes after announcement.

People will buy whatever Office is available when they need it.

So this is bad news for me, as I can't wait six months for Office.

BlueRevolution
Jan 9, 2007, 09:37 PM
The 2004/2008 typo is still there on the main article page, only fixed in the forum.

Oh, and I've used 2007 on Windows, and I absolutely abhor the ribbon. Yet another reason why I won't be buying this, I guess.

Zwhaler
Jan 9, 2007, 09:43 PM
Good. I will need Office by then and don't want to purchase 2004.

failsafe1
Jan 9, 2007, 09:47 PM
I look forward to the day when I am MS free on my machines!

BWhaler
Jan 9, 2007, 09:51 PM
The announcement is weak and hedges.

"...intends to..."

I think this is a subtle threat to Apple since they are worried about iWork 07.

Either way, I'd love not to buy this product. Microsoft free, once and for all.

But it will take iWork 07 to be awesome. Keynote is pretty much there, and given what we saw today in Job's presentation, the next version looks awesome.

The key is Pages and a spreadsheet. Pages needs serious maturation and the spreadsheet not only must rock, but allow data linking into pages and keynote.

Man, I hope I can dump MS Office. My whole company too. But it's up to Apple at this point.

trtam
Jan 9, 2007, 10:08 PM
Ugh. Seriously, why have the 2008 designation?! It makes no sense because it'll be outdated once 2008 ends...

islanders
Jan 9, 2007, 10:09 PM
Adobe FrameMaker has had an extra side menu like the Ribbon for a long time.

It works great. Some the functions you use all the time is just one click.

Much better than digging through the menu or playing twister with your fingers for basic stuff.

I havenít tested Office, so YMMV.

dllavaneras
Jan 9, 2007, 10:12 PM
Ugh. Seriously, why have the 2008 designation?!

Because it's a year more advanced than anything out there!

/sarcasm :rolleyes:

grafikat
Jan 9, 2007, 10:13 PM
Pfft!
just use NeoOffice. It's free, can save to any MS format, and is ShareWare

Chris Grande
Jan 9, 2007, 10:56 PM
The UI seems a tad... cluttered. I really want to see Entourage.....

http://edge.macworld.com/2007/01/images/content/office08.gif

bousozoku
Jan 9, 2007, 10:57 PM
Ugh. Seriously, why have the 2008 designation?! It makes no sense because it'll be outdated once 2008 ends...

It was supposed to have a 2007 designation but it won't be available until half the year is over so it gets 2008. Besides, that helps the confused technical support people who think that everything runs on Windows.

cheunghy
Jan 9, 2007, 11:23 PM
Honestly, I don't like the UI...

MisterMe
Jan 9, 2007, 11:24 PM
Ugh. Seriously, why have the 2008 designation?! It makes no sense because it'll be outdated once 2008 ends...Ever since Microsoft started giving its apps model year designations, the Mac version followed the Windows version by one year. This is a continuation of the pattern.

BillyShears
Jan 10, 2007, 03:39 AM
That Ribbons interface actually looks pretty good on OS X. They seem to have found some balance between OS X (menu bar) while still bringing in the Ribbons UI. (I understand it is well thought of in the Windows community.)

As others have noted, it does look kind of cluttered, but I might be able to get used to it. I'm sure we'll be able to fiddle with the interface if it isn't done by release. I'd like to get rid of the text ("New", "Open", "Save", "Print", etc.) and shrink the toolbar icons down (if not get rid of them completely).

One thing that I like about the current Office UI is that since everything is in a floating palette, when you switch to another app the only thing showing from Office is the current document (no controls like Save, Bold, etc.) This saves screen real estate, and lets you look at the document while working in other apps. With this new Ribbons interface, this would (probably?) all be thrown out the window. (Maybe it the Ribbons shrink down to nothing when the app loses focus, but that might be too clunky.)

The other possibility would be there could be the option of putting the toolbar and the ribbons into their own floating palettes. I would probably like that solution best.

islandman
Jan 10, 2007, 06:41 AM
This is great news, even though I bet Microsoft could have released this sooner.

a456
Jan 10, 2007, 06:53 AM
I will buy Office 2004 when it hits its cheapest price, so that I get the Visual Basic component that I need for my work. I can always download NeoOffice to get the Open XML functionality ... or I might just wait for all the VBA stuff to be incorporated into NeoOffice ... looks like they are working on it already: http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=116

smirking
Jan 10, 2007, 08:41 AM
Anyone know if there's MS Publisher compatibility bundled into Office for Mac 2008? Publisher sucks big donkey, but I've got a number of clients who keep insisting on sending me stuff in Publisher format.

mdntcallr
Jan 10, 2007, 08:55 AM
Sounds good. I hope they improve Entourage. I like the way you can view names and numbers in Outlook. What 2004 Office Entourage has isnt as good to view your address/phone book in as Outlook.

Good job on this MS, BUT you need to allow us mac users to watch Windows Media DRM files. They cancelled Mac Windows Media Player, fine, but allow us to get DRM files. there are alot of restricted play content out there, yet we have no solution to watch them.

pretty lame

Swarmlord
Jan 10, 2007, 08:59 AM
They should rename it Office 2010 when it actually will be released in a useable format.

uNext
Jan 10, 2007, 09:18 AM
iWork will never edge out microsoft office
no way in hell. iWork is so imature compared to office. i dont see why people want this to happen.

Office have many years under evolution and development. It did not become the # 1 office suite around the world for nothing.

iWork compared to office dont even out like holding a candle in broad daylight.

The new UI is awesome-i use word, excel and entourage every single day
and the inetrface iis far from cluttered.

I think people are too used to apples simplicity which is a bad thing
considering when you go after your career or a job there is a 95% chance you will use office and windows.

Eraserhead
Jan 10, 2007, 09:34 AM
Anyone know if there's MS Publisher compatibility bundled into Office for Mac 2008? Publisher sucks big donkey, but I've got a number of clients who keep insisting on sending me stuff in Publisher format.

I doubt it, publisher has never had a Mac version, you have to get them to convert it or install Office via parallels.

thejockof2010
Jan 10, 2007, 09:49 AM
I AM SOOOO EXCITED FOR THIS i dont know about you guys but i use word alll the time and i have a macbook and i need it to use a universal binary and this will help soo much this is the first thing made from microsoft that i am actually excited about

1 for microsoft 500000000000000000000000 for apple :) :) :)

typ993
Jan 10, 2007, 10:19 AM
In Office:Win 2007, you can go back to the previous interface style, right? I hope so in Office:Mac also... I like the palettes much better than the past Windows interfaces, and I also do not like the ribbon. But usually MS lets you keep the old interface when they create a new, irritating interface. ;)

That is not the case. You are stuck with the ribbon in 2007 whether you like it or not.

dr_lha
Jan 10, 2007, 10:38 AM
I think the new UI looks great. I'm glad they're finally getting rid of the floating toolbars and moving to a more "Mac like" interface.

This will be a definite buy for me, but that said I can't do my work without Office. Sorry folks but OpenOffice and NeoOffice are simply not good enough to replace Office right now.

Applespider
Jan 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=a456;3233491]I will buy Office 2004 when it hits its cheapest price, so that I get the Visual Basic component that I need for my work. I can always download NeoOffice to get the Open XML functionality ... or I might just wait for all the VBA stuff to be incorporated into NeoOffice ... looks like they are working on it already: http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=116

I'm thinking about doing the same or hoping that NeoOffice manage to do something with the VBA stuff. The fact that MS are removing that functionality from the Apple version means that the 'Oh, yes and it runs Office' argument is far weaker for a company that use lots of macros in bespoke Excel applications and want to use it cross-platform.

I could see this being the last Office for Mac to be honest. I have a feeling that come 2010/2012, we'll be being told to just run Office for Windows in emulation.

failsafe1
Jan 10, 2007, 10:42 AM

I hate publisher files. I don't know what your clients need so I guess you work in Quark or something. If you could get by with PDF's there is a free conversion service at http://www.pdfonline.com/index.htm you can upload a pub file and they email it back in pdf form.

dual64bit
Jan 10, 2007, 11:32 AM
I too am excited to see it Entourage is no longer crap software, it would be nice to see it load in less than 5 minutes and perhaps include more intergration with exporting to iCal or Address Book.

godrifle
Jan 10, 2007, 04:33 PM

That's exactly the psychological response they're shooting for; It's a psychological expiration date.

Give us an Exchange client, for the love of Pete.

willybNL
Jan 10, 2007, 05:17 PM
Can't microsoft also give us the 'usual' pallet inside the top bar... like office 2007 it works great, but with the mac version it's almost unworkable.

See: http://tweakers.net/ext/i/1168461360.gif

Still pallets through my screen, things that i have to unhide...

Bill, please, give us the ability to setup in 2 ways!!!

ready2switch
Jan 11, 2007, 08:57 AM
Yesterday I was talking with our head IT guy at work and he was complaining about how absolutely awful and buggy Office 2007 is. While I'm not really surprised, he was describing it as the worst release from MS since Windows ME. :eek:

:p

mkrishnan
Jan 11, 2007, 09:03 AM
That is not the case. You are stuck with the ribbon in 2007 whether you like it or not.

Awww, really? Ugh. :( Well, as I have no Intel hardware at the mo', I'm really not particularly obligated to leave 2004. :D

mjonson
Mar 30, 2007, 05:08 PM
Anyway i can get a Beta ?

BWhaler
Mar 30, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'm not a Microsoft hater, but I'd really like to dump MSOffice. It's just too bloated at this point.

I just hope Apple has grown some balls and will release a major, major, major upgrade to iWork.

I don't want some Appleworks replacement. Give me and my company a fantastic tool to create beautiful document. Not this "Pages for the Family" crap.

We'd buy 118 licenses on day one if Apple tops off Keynote, makes Pages a real word processor, and throws in a high quality spreadsheet.

After years of poor, buggy products, my company would like nothing more than to be Office free.

failsafe1
Mar 30, 2007, 11:27 PM
After years of poor, buggy products, my company would like nothing more than to be Office free.

Funny I usually want my office to be company free.